PDA

View Full Version : 3 Brainteasers.

abc123
17-12-07, 21:51
I found these brainteasers from a website:

1)
A man was found murdered on Sunday morning. His wife immediately called the police. The police questioned the wife and staff and got these alibis:
The Wife said she was sleeping.
The Cook was cooking breakfast.
The Gardener was picking vegetables.
The Maid was getting the mail.
The Butler was cleaning the closet.

The police instantly arrested the murderer. Who did it and how did they know?

2)
You are on an island in the middle of a lake. The lake is in a remote part of the country and there has never been a bridge connecting the island to the mainland.

Every day a tractor and wagon gives hay rides around the island. Puzzled as to how the tractor had gotten onto the island, you ask around and find out that the tractor was not transported to the island by boat or by air. Nor was it built on the island.

Explain how the tractor got there?

3)
A man is trapped in a room. The room has only two possible exits: two doors. Through the first door there is a room constructed from magnifying glass. The blazing hot sun instantly fries anything or anyone that enters. Through the second door there is a fire-breathing dragon. How does the man escape?

I'll give the answers tommorow. Have fun, good night. :)

dizzydoil
17-12-07, 21:54

1)
A man was found murdered on Sunday morning. His wife immediately called the police. The police questioned the wife and staff and got these alibis:

hehe, his wife. :pi: as, she said she was asleep.. but she also rang, as he was murdered.. something like that! :p

Tihocan9
17-12-07, 21:54
The answer to the first one is maid I think, becuase the mail isnt delivered on Sundays, I cant get the others though. Clever.

Rivendell
17-12-07, 21:55
First two I'm still puzzling over.

The thrid however, he waits until night and then smashes through the magnifying glass :D
Edit: OR he opens both doors at the same time and lets the sunlight fry the dragon, then steps over the dead dragon. :p

Dingaling
17-12-07, 21:58
First one is the maid as mail isn't delivered on Sundays (seems Tihocan9 got there first lol). Third he waited till night and went out whatever door he wanted - no sun at night so he wouldn't be friend and the dragon would be sleeping (though, seriously, who constructs a room like that anyway?).

Second is puzzling :/.

Second one... well if it's anything like where I'm living the water would get frozen cos it' so cold so the tractor could drive over the water than couldn't it?

Tihocan9
17-12-07, 21:59
Is the lake frozen or something, although it would probobly break the water? (to the second question)

I agree with Riv, it waited till night, I feel stupid not being able to figure that one out.

xMyrax
17-12-07, 21:59
OH OH I KNOW THE SECOND ONE!

The tractor was wearing Always Ultra with wings! ^^

No no...It might've been a cannon though o_o

Rivendell
17-12-07, 22:00
The second.. Perhaps there's high-tide and low tide, and the tractor crosses onto the island at low-tide. :confused:
Or frozen, as Tihocan said.

xMiSsCrOfTx
17-12-07, 22:00
1) The maid. No mail on Sundays.

2) I have NO idea. :s

3) Move the door somehow to fry the dragon? :vlol: I don't know this one either...

Tihocan9
17-12-07, 22:05

Mystery is solved!:vlol:

DREWY
17-12-07, 22:12
1/ The maid - no mail on Sundays (Doesn't mention where he was found though)

2/ 4 possabilities. 1/ Not always an island, 2/ water not deep, 3/ water frozen, 4/ gap may only be a few inches

3/ lure the dragon into the magifying glass exit, and then exit thru the now empty route (where the dragon was)

abc123
17-12-07, 22:21
Is the lake frozen or something, although it would probobly break the water? (to the second question)

I agree with Riv, it waited till night, I feel stupid not being able to figure that one out.

Congrats Tihocan9, you solved the second riddle. :D
The others have been solved too.

4)
As the school year was progressing, a teacher was distressed that more and more of her students were beginning to tease and make fun of one another. She decided to do something about it. When they returned to the classroom after Spring Break, they saw a mirror on the wall with a sign next to it.
When one of the students came to her crying about the names she had been called at recess, she sent the girl to the mirror with these directions: Read that sign quietly to yourself. Repeat it over and over, gradually running the sounds together. Each time, look at yourself in the mirror. Soon you will be smiling.
Sure enough, when the student followed these directions, she came away smiling.
Each time a student would come to the teacher feeling low, she would give them the same directions. Sometimes they would have difficulty, so she would go over to read the sign with them. Eventually, each one would come away smiling.
This is what the sign said: I.Y.Q.Y.Q.R.

Why did this little exercise help her students feel better about themselves?

5)
Clyde Stevenson just bought a brand new house. Everything in it was state of the art; the refrigerator was stainless steel, the ovens were electric, even the windows were built to only open from the inside. Clyde was a very nervous man, and always kept his house locked up, especially this one, since it was new.

Clyde decided, since he bought a nice new house, he might as well break it in and plan a barbeque. He went to the store and bought some steaks, wine (it was his first party), and other things that he saw fit. He set the table, had the steaks marinating, and then began calling his friends to come over. He invited Stan, Eric, Helen and Pete.

They all came over and Clyde started the steaks. He finished grilling the steaks, and then broke open the wine and they started to eat. They talked about sports, the news, and gossiped about people in town. After a while, Stan started to get a little tipsy and was getting a little rude. Clyde asked him to settle down, in a civil matter, but Stan got furious and tried to fight. After quite a brawl, they got a taxi for Stan and everyone left.

The next day at 10:00 A.M., the police got a call that Clyde had been murdered. When the police arrived on the scene, they found Stan and Helen. The police officer decided to question them both at the station, to get the story straight.

When the officer questioned Stan, he said, "I was talking to Helen on the phone when I told her I should go over to Clyde's to apologise. (Stan told the officer what happened last night) She said that she should come with me in case things got heated again, and I said that was fine. I got there about ten minutes after Helen did, and I noticed that the front door was locked. I decided to look through a window to see if they were there, when I saw Helen, blood soaked, tossing a knife into the sink. I quickly opened the window and crawled through, and called the police. Helen killed Clyde."

When the officer questioned Helen she said, "Stan called me and told me to meet him at Clyde's so he could apologise about last night. (She also told the story about what happened) I get there about ten minutes faster than Stan, so I decided to wait in the car for him. After a while, I got bored so I decided to go in and tell Clyde what was going to happen. I noticed the door was wide open, and I thought that was strange because Clyde is a very nervous man. So, I rang the doorbell, walked in, and locked the door, because I know that Clyde always wants the door locked. I saw Clyde lying on the floor with stab wounds. I grabbed him to see if he was alive, but he was dead. I went into the kitchen to call the police when I saw Stan in the other room saying that I killed him, and that he had called the police."

The officer put them in different jail cells and decided to look over the crime scene. He searched the entire area and discovered who murdered Clyde. Who was it and why?

6)
Carrie Marshall had recently joined the Riverside police force, and on the first day of her job, she was sent out to investigate a new homicide case. The murder involved a wealthy bachelor, Steven Andrews, who lived in an expensive, grand oceanside mansion. At the time of the murder, there had been five other people in the house: the cook, the maid, two friends, and his niece. Both the cook and maid had rooms in the mansion, and the three guests had all stayed overnight.

When Carrie got to the mansion, the five suspects had all been lined up in front of a large bay window. It was mid-afternoon, and through the window, Carrie could see the beautiful sunset.

Her partner, Lieutenant Linda Newton, who had arrived an hour earlier, sketched out the details for Carrie. All the suspects had agreed that Steven Andrews had been found murdered in the morning, shortly before six-thirty am, but he had been alive a few minutes past midnight, when they all headed to bed. Nobody had heard anything during the night. Mandy Andrews, the niece, had come down to the kitchen to get a glass of water, and on her way back upstairs, had passed the bay window, where she saw her uncle's dead body.

Carrie decides to begin interrogating the suspects as the lieutenant and two other officers go off to look for more evidence and clues. The suspects give the following testimonies:

Maid: "I retired to my room shortly past eleven last night, after cleaning the dining room where Mr. Andrews dined with his guests, and helped the cook put away the leftover food. I was reading a novel until about twelve-twenty, and heard occasional laughter and talk, although I couldn't make out the words. This morning, I heard a scream, which was from Miss Mandy, so I rushed down with the cook and his two friends. Mr. Andrews was laying dead in front of that window. The lieutenant moved his body about fifteen minutes before you arrived, but there was blood on the side of the head, from a gunshot, maybe. I didn't hear anything, but whoever did it could have used a muffler. I'm innocent, though."

Cook: "It's like the maid says. She was cleaning the dining room while I tidied up the kitchen, and we both stored the leftovers in the refrigerator and talked for a few minutes about his guests. I went upstairs and to my room about the same time she did, but fell asleep after I took a shower and brushed my teeth. That was about eleven-thirty maybe, and I slept soundly until this morning, when a scream woke me. I rushed downstairs with the others, and there was the body. I tell you, I didn't do it. I've been with Mr. Andrews for eight years, and he knows he can trust me."

Mandy: "I was up until midnight with my uncle and his friends, talking and joking around. I fell asleep at about one-fifteen, but woke at six-twenty-four, and was thirsty, so I went down to the kitchen to get a glass of water. On the way back, I passed by the bay window, the one behind us, and I could see the beautiful sunrise outside, but, sadly, my uncle was sprawled on the ground, with a huge bloody wound on the side of his head. I screamed and the others were here in just one or two minutes."

"That's enough," Carrie said abruptly, before the two friends of Mr. Andrews can say anything. "I know who did it. Lieutenant! We have our murderer!"

All five suspects, and the lieutenant and her two men, who came into the room at her call, look at Carrie.

Who murdered Steven Andrews, and how did Carrie know?
(The bay window is the key)

7)The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false. Are these sentences true or false?

Good night. Sorry for the long post. :D

SLY
17-12-07, 22:21
1)the wife she immediately called the police after he was murdered but she was sleeping
2)tihocan beat me
3)he waited till night

Tihocan9
17-12-07, 22:24
Congrats Tihocan9, you solved the second riddle. :D

7)The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false. Are these sentences true or false?

Woot!

anyway, number 7 cant be answered because it is a paradox, you just go back and forth. I am to lazy to read the others.

Rivendell
17-12-07, 22:29
5. Stan killed Clyde. He said he opened a window and crawled inside, but the windows only open from the inside. :D

xMyrax
17-12-07, 22:29
4) The way I read I.Y.Q.Y.Q.R was "I wike you wike you are" which is obviously meant "I like you the way you are" which probs made the students feel better about themselves...I'll try the rest later x)

^ I think that teacher likes to listen to Timbaland tho...*shrug*

Tihocan9
17-12-07, 22:32
Did mandy kill Steven? (6)

Rivendell
17-12-07, 22:36
Mandy is lying - Carrie can see a sunset through the window where Mandy claims she saw the sunrise. :tmb:

Dingaling
17-12-07, 22:39
Number 6 is Mandy. It's something to do with the sunset and sunrise... one comes from the east and the other the west or something... lol... all I know is mandy did it. I just don't know why very well :vlol:.

Bloody hell Riv... took me 3 minutes to write that for some reason lol. So many different ways of trying to think about sunsets and sunrises takes time haha.

DREWY
17-12-07, 22:40
Why would you walk outside past the bay window to go upstairs?
And how can you see a sunrise and sunset through the same window
Mandy dun it!

Rivendell
17-12-07, 22:40
More! Give us more! :D

Dingaling
17-12-07, 22:43
Gimme a few I'll try and get some... not doing that one about the man going to bar on Thursday, staying 4 nights and leaving on Friday and how did he manage to do that. Everyone knows that :P

And if you don't, you can do that one lol.

Dingaling
17-12-07, 22:46
Pears
There are a few trees in a garden. On one of them, a pear tree, there are pears (quite logical). But after a strong wind blew, there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground.
How come?

Apples
A basket contains 5 apples. Do you know how to divide them to 5 kids so that each one has an apple and one apple stays in the basket?

Hotel Bill
Three people check into a hotel. They pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager finds out that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to return. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person. Now each person paid $10 and got back $1. So they paid $9 each, totalling $27. The bellboy has $2, totalling $29.
Where is the remaining dollar?

Hotel
13 people came into a hotel with 12 rooms and everybody wanted his own room. The bellboy solved this problem.
He asked the thirteenth guest to wait a moment with the first guest in room number 1. So in the first room there were two people. The bellboy took the third guest to room number 2, the fourth to number 3, ... and the twelfth guest to room number 11. Then he returned to room number 1 and took the thirteenth guest to empty room number 12.
How can everybody have his own room?

:)

Whoops, double post, sorry.

Tihocan9
17-12-07, 22:48
Apples
A basket contains 5 apples. Do you know how to divide them to 5 kids so that each one has an apple and one apple stays in the basket?

Give 4 kids a apple and give the basket with the apple in it to the 5th kid, my teacher gave that to us a while ago.

Rivendell
17-12-07, 22:49
Lol! Better than my answer - I was going to say put the kid in the basket :p

The other's are bloody tricky.

Dingaling
17-12-07, 22:50
I like that answer :D. Always have. I'll try and find some harder ones in a while once all the puzzles have been answered correctly.

EDIT: THe one with the guests and the room is a bit... let's just say.. one of your first thoughts is probably right.

xcrushterx
17-12-07, 22:50
Pears
There are a few trees in a garden. On one of them, a pear tree, there are pears (quite logical). But after a strong wind blew, there were neither pears on the tree nor on the ground.
How come?

Did they blow into one of the other trees?

Sedge
17-12-07, 22:52
Hotel
13 people came into a hotel with 12 rooms and everybody wanted his own room. The bellboy solved this problem.
He asked the thirteenth guest to wait a moment with the first guest in room number 1. So in the first room there were two people. The bellboy took the third guest to room number 2, the fourth to number 3, ... and the twelfth guest to room number 11. Then he returned to room number 1 and took the thirteenth guest to empty room number 12.
How can everybody have his own room?
What happened to the second guest? :p

Dingaling
17-12-07, 22:52
One of the answers is indeed the wind blew so hard the pears went into another tree or into the sea or nearby water.

The other answer is just plain immense in my opinion lol.

What happened to the second guest?

Haha, yup. It's just plain impossible.

SSJ6Wolf
17-12-07, 23:02
I'm answering these without looking at any of the following posts, sorry if the correct answers were posted by this time :o

1) The maid, mail doesn't come on Sunday.

2) It was built on another island, and the two islands are connected by a bridge.

3) I have two answers.
a) The man keeps the first door ajar and opens the second door, lures the dragon's head out of the room, dodges his fire and grabs him by the neck and shoves his head into the first room without looking directly into it, so the dragon's head melts off. Then he escapes through the second door.

b) The man opens and slams the door to the glass room so hard, that the glass shatters. Then he escapes through that door (carefully so as to not cut his feet)

Yeah, I don't think I got that third one right. :p

EDIT: Ah, more riddles! (again without reading the posts that follow)

5) It was Stan because you can't open those windows from outside!

6) Mandy, because the sun can't rise and set in the same place.

7) The sentences are FALSE. The first sentence claims that the second sentence is correct about the first sentence being wrong. The first sentence merely confirms the second sentence's claim.

4) Hmm...do the kids interpret it as them telling themselves "I like you like you are?"

only Croft
17-12-07, 23:14
For the third riddle I think it hasn't been posted yet...Wait until sun down and go to the glass room and shatters it

[EDIT]: oh and the 6th. It's Mandy because if Carrie was seeing the sunset so when Mandy went by she couldn't see the sunrise so she is lying

Bowie
18-12-07, 00:05
SPOILERS!!

Hotel Bill
Three people check into a hotel. They pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager finds out that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to return. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person. Now each person paid $10 and got back $1. So they paid $9 each, totalling $27. The bellboy has $2, totalling $29.
There is no missing dollar. The two coloured sentences are not related. Yes, the guests paid $9 each, but that means they don't actually have their $9 any more! They have $3 total. So for the sentence in blue, it makes no conceptual sense to add something someone physically has ($2) to something three people don't have ($27). However, you can add the $3 to the $2, which adds to the $5 physical dollars which are no longer in the possession of the manager who has the other $25. :D

Bowie
18-12-07, 00:08
What happened to the second guest? :p
LOL the bellboy obviously bumped him off while he was returning to room number 1.

WOOPS - double post! Haha it's contagious, dingaling :p SORRY

Capt. Murphy
18-12-07, 00:23
Maid, no mail sundy
Tractor was there b4 it flooded
Man leaves at night

1 apple stays in the basket
Pears are in a tornado

Lost dollar is really .33.333 cents -- Or Each person actually paid $9.33.33 if it were to be divided up equally. 3x8=24, + 3x.33=99. That last 10th of a cent is indivisible. :-/.

The 13th guest still doesn't get a room (I believe)

Shark_Blade
18-12-07, 00:46

1)

What is the exact death time of the man? The wife was sleeping? How the hell she calls the police? :confused:

2)
You are on an island in the middle of a lake. The lake is in a remote part of the country and there has never been a bridge connecting the island to the mainland.

Every day a tractor and wagon gives hay rides around the island. Puzzled as to how the tractor had gotten onto the island, you ask around and find out that the tractor was not transported to the island by boat or by air. Nor was it built on the island.

Explain how the tractor got there?
It's a submarine! :D Or a tractor-beam. Seriously I don't know:p

3)
A man is trapped in a room. The room has only two possible exits: two doors. Through the first door there is a room constructed from magnifying glass. The blazing hot sun instantly fries anything or anyone that enters. Through the second door there is a fire-breathing dragon. How does the man escape?

I'll give the answers tommorow. Have fun, good night. :)
Magnifying glass room. He can wait until it's night, then it's safe. It's too risky to cross the dragon even if it's sleeping (but if you count that dragon doesn't exist, then I'll take the second room :p)

Capt. Murphy
18-12-07, 01:09
After thinking it over (and with a little help from some aspirin tabs).... The bell boy would've been better off pocketing .02 cents, and giving each of the men $1.66. Or Give 2 men $1.67, and one $1.66. Again, the indivisible .00.3333 of a cent makes it impossible to give each man their fair due back.

Earthcane
18-12-07, 01:10
Too teasing for my brain, thats fo sure...

Shark_Blade
18-12-07, 01:37
4)
As the school year was progressing, a teacher was distressed that more and more of her students were beginning to tease and make fun of one another. She decided to do something about it. When they returned to the classroom after Spring Break, they saw a mirror on the wall with a sign next to it.
When one of the students came to her crying about the names she had been called at recess, she sent the girl to the mirror with these directions: Read that sign quietly to yourself. Repeat it over and over, gradually running the sounds together. Each time, look at yourself in the mirror. Soon you will be smiling.
Sure enough, when the student followed these directions, she came away smiling.
Each time a student would come to the teacher feeling low, she would give them the same directions. Sometimes they would have difficulty, so she would go over to read the sign with them. Eventually, each one would come away smiling.
This is what the sign said: I.Y.Q.Y.Q.R.

Why did this little exercise help her students feel better about themselves?
Umm...because it's almost impossible to say I.Y.Q.Y.Q.R over and over without messsing it up, so they felt silly about themselves and they wear a great big grin to cover up their humiliation?

5)
Clyde Stevenson just bought a brand new house. Everything in it was state of the art; the refrigerator was stainless steel, the ovens were electric, even the windows were built to only open from the inside. Clyde was a very nervous man, and always kept his house locked up, especially this one, since it was new.

Clyde decided, since he bought a nice new house, he might as well break it in and plan a barbeque. He went to the store and bought some steaks, wine (it was his first party), and other things that he saw fit. He set the table, had the steaks marinating, and then began calling his friends to come over. He invited Stan, Eric, Helen and Pete.

They all came over and Clyde started the steaks. He finished grilling the steaks, and then broke open the wine and they started to eat. They talked about sports, the news, and gossiped about people in town. After a while, Stan started to get a little tipsy and was getting a little rude. Clyde asked him to settle down, in a civil matter, but Stan got furious and tried to fight. After quite a brawl, they got a taxi for Stan and everyone left.

The next day at 10:00 A.M., the police got a call that Clyde had been murdered. When the police arrived on the scene, they found Stan and Helen. The police officer decided to question them both at the station, to get the story straight.

When the officer questioned Stan, he said, "I was talking to Helen on the phone when I told her I should go over to Clyde's to apologise. (Stan told the officer what happened last night) She said that she should come with me in case things got heated again, and I said that was fine. I got there about ten minutes after Helen did, and I noticed that the front door was locked. I decided to look through a window to see if they were there, when I saw Helen, blood soaked, tossing a knife into the sink. I quickly opened the window and crawled through, and called the police. Helen killed Clyde."

When the officer questioned Helen she said, "Stan called me and told me to meet him at Clyde's so he could apologise about last night. (She also told the story about what happened) I get there about ten minutes faster than Stan, so I decided to wait in the car for him. After a while, I got bored so I decided to go in and tell Clyde what was going to happen. I noticed the door was wide open, and I thought that was strange because Clyde is a very nervous man. So, I rang the doorbell, walked in, and locked the door, because I know that Clyde always wants the door locked. I saw Clyde lying on the floor with stab wounds. I grabbed him to see if he was alive, but he was dead. I went into the kitchen to call the police when I saw Stan in the other room saying that I killed him, and that he had called the police."

The officer put them in different jail cells and decided to look over the crime scene. He searched the entire area and discovered who murdered Clyde. Who was it and why?
That was easy. It was Stan. The window cannot be opened from the outside, as Stan has just done that.(Clyde is a careful nervous man, he wouldn't have leave the window open) So he killed Clyde, leave open one of the window so that when Helen came in, he can crawl into the same window and make a phone call to the police, framing her.

Good night. Sorry for the long post. :DYes and no. Both are true and false.

I'm still working on Carrie Marshall (6).

thecentaur
18-12-07, 01:41
my guesses @ the first post:

1. the maid b/c the mail doesn't arrive on sundays
2. it's an ice lake (?)
3. the man escapes through the magnifying room @ night.

Capt. Murphy
18-12-07, 03:51
5. Mandy: "I went down to the kitchen to get a glass of water. On the way back, I passed by the bay window, the one behind us, and I could see the beautiful sunrise outside, but, sadly, my uncle was sprawled on the ground, with a huge bloody wound on the side of his head. I screamed and the others were here in just one or two minutes." She didn't notice his body the 1st time through?

6. When the officer questioned Stan, he said, "I quickly opened the window." He got there earlier.

7. False :-)

abc123
18-12-07, 08:26
More! Give us more! :D

Sure.:D

8)
Once upon a time there was a dad and 3 kids. When the kids were adults, the dad was old and Death came to take the dad. The first son, who became a lawyer, begged Death to let the dad live a few more years. Death agreed. When Death came back, the second son, who became a doctor begged Death to let his father live a few more days. Death agreed. When Death came back the third son, who became a priest begged Death to let the dad live till that candle wick burned out and he pointed to a candle. Death agreed. The third son knew Death wouldn't come back, and he didn't. Why not?

9)
Detective Palumbo had just finished examining the body of Debbie Layne, which was lying on the couch in her plush living room.

"Mrs. Layne was hit on the back of her head 3 or 4 times with the butt of that pistol," the sleuth said.

The .45 lay on the floor near the body. Sheriff Hobbs was dusting the weapon for fingerprints.

"I've telephoned her husband at his office and only told him to come home. I dislike breaking bad news. Will you do it?" the sheriff said.

"I'll do it," said Palumbo as he watched the body being removed from the scene. Then he took a seat in a lounge chair to wait for Mr. Layne.

The ambulance drove away just as Mr. Layne arrived. He came into the living room and asked, "Where's Debbie? What's happened?"

"I'm sorry to have to tell you that she was murdered about 3 hours ago," said Palumbo. "Your cleaning lady found the body and called the sheriff."

"I can't find any fingerprints on this gun," said the sheriff. "I'll send it to the lab."

Mr. Layne's face flushed as he got angry and said, "Please find the fiend that clubbed Debbie to death. I'll put up a twenty-five thousand dollar reward!"

"Save your money," said Hobbs. "The murderer won't be that hard to find."

10)
Bob was having a big party. He decided on a technique to get lots of people to come. He invited his five closest friends and said that they could each invite 4 people.

Each of those could invite 3.
Each of those could invite 2.
Each of those could invite 1.

Overall, how many people did Bob invite to his party?

Rivendell
18-12-07, 08:28
8. The third son never lit the candle? :D

abc123
18-12-07, 08:30
Nope.:)

11)
How can you make the following equation correct without changing it at all?

8+8=91

12)
A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, an attractive girl with the unusual name of Pibbles. The bus driver had to go on a long bus trip that would last a week. Before he left, he gave Pibbles seven apples. Why?

myrmaad
18-12-07, 08:53
8. It was an eternal flame.(electric maybe or otherwise).
9. The husband did it because he knew how she died, without being told.
10. If they all attended: {5+ (5x4=20) = 25+ (4x3=12) = 32+ (3x2=6) = 38+ (2x1=2) }=40 (it's early and I didn't use a calculator - I've only been up for about 15 minutes so..)
11. use parantheses I think. Give my brain a few minutes to get workin'. you have to make it into a formula
12. An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

abc123
18-12-07, 09:57
8) Nope.
9) :)
10) Nope.
11) Dont think so.
12) :)

Quite tricky ones.

Gloriosa
18-12-07, 10:10
11)
How can you make the following equation correct without changing it at all?

8+8=91

Read it upside down, 16=8+8 :p

myrmaad
18-12-07, 10:20
Was it a glass wick?

I just realized my mistake in the party guests question.. I've now had coffee!!!

0. If they all attended: {5+ (5x4=20) =20+ (4x3=12)x4 = 48+ (3x2=6)x3 = 18+ (2x1=2)x2 =4 }=155? I think, no that's still not right.
Scratch all that.

5 original invitees

+ 20 of their friends (who each invited 3)
+60 (who each invited 2 more)
+120
205 guests plus the guy having the party.

Scratch all that! Just re-read the question. You!

10)
Bob was having a big party. He decided on a technique to get lots of people to come. He invited his five closest friends and said that they could each invite 4 people.

Each of those could invite 3.
Each of those could invite 2.
Each of those could invite 1.

Overall, how many people did Bob invite to his party? the answer is FIVE.

thecentaur
18-12-07, 11:33
10. 5 friends ;)

Natey168
18-12-07, 11:40
Is the sign in number 4 supposed to sound like "I like you like you are"?

myrmaad
18-12-07, 11:46
yes. "I wike you wike you are".

abc123
18-12-07, 19:17
An easy one:

Imagine you are on a sinking boat thats surrounded by crocodiles. You have a life jacket, a long rope and the shorline is 100 meters from the boat. How do you survive?

Indiana Croft
18-12-07, 19:26

omg lol :lol:

only Croft
18-12-07, 19:33
An easy one:

Imagine you are on a sinking boat thats surrounded by crocodiles. You have a life jacket, a long rope and the shorline is 100 meters from the boat. How do you survive?

You take the life jacket off and wiggle it in front of the crocodiles, then as the crocodiles are busy you swim to freedom, I think

Angelus
18-12-07, 20:13
An easy one:

You put on the lifejacket, whip the crocodiles with the rope and swim off!

abc123
18-12-07, 20:18
Thoughts can be deceiving...

Rivendell
18-12-07, 20:36
Oh my god :vlol:

xcrushterx
18-12-07, 20:38
You're only imagining it O_- :p

Titanium
18-12-07, 22:44
For 2. I thought the answer would be to do with the tide coming in and out, therefore some land may appear at certain times of the day.

But the frozen lake idea also works, so that could be the right answer.

Lara's Backpack
18-12-07, 22:52
Do a Steve Irwin and ride the crocs to shore... duh.

abc123
19-12-07, 07:22
If there are 6 apples and you take away 4, how many do you have?

If you had only one match, and entered a dark room containing an oil lamp, some newspaper, and some kindling wood, which would you light first?

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

(Count the Fs in the above paragraph.)

Gloriosa
19-12-07, 07:40
4 apples?
The match!
And I can find 6 Fs.

:)

Hurrah4Lara
19-12-07, 22:30
Oops, double post

Hurrah4Lara
19-12-07, 22:30
Just to say thanks abc123 for starting this thread!:jmp: Some of you here know I love puzzles, but I didn't solve any of these:vlol:! Oh except I knew this one as a favourite:

Hotel Bill

Well, I see 2 hotel problems are solved in this thread^^, but I have another one:jmp::
Imagine a really big hotel, though - it has a limitless number of rooms.:cool: All rooms are occupied, yet a new guest is arrived:yik:... What does the bellboy do this time?

H4L:wve:[Jessika]

spikejones
20-12-07, 02:49
Heres a very plausible answer for number 2:

The lake was man made after the tractor and wagon were parked upon a raised area in the planned lake area.

Of course if it's in a very remote part of the country, why would you give a ride on it everyday?

spikejones
20-12-07, 03:09
Heres a couple old ones:

a) You are in a building that has four walls. There is a window in each wall. Each window has a southern view. You look out one of the windows and see a bear. What color is it?

b) On the side of a mountain there is a cabin. Inside the cabin is a dead man. Can you explain how the man died?

rowanlim
20-12-07, 11:58
1) Maid: man was boffing her, she got tired, decided to use the mail to boff him & kill him :)

2) fly tool :vlol:

3) i think the first door...i don't know why :p