PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jackson to produce The Hobbit

Mr.Burns
19-12-07, 01:38
Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson; Harry Sloan, Chairman and CEO, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM); Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs of New Line Cinema have jointly announced today that they have entered into the following series of agreements:

* MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, The Hobbit and a sequel to The Hobbit. New Line will distribute in North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

* Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on The Hobbit. New Line will manage the production of the films, which will be shot simultaneously.

* Peter Jackson and New Line have settled all litigation relating to the "Lord of the Rings" (LOTR) Trilogy.

Said Peter Jackson, "I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line. 'The Lord of the Rings' is a legacy we proudly share with Bob and Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal fans all over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth. I also want to thank Harry Sloan and our new friends at MGM for helping us find the common ground necessary to continue that journey."

"Peter Jackson has proven himself as the filmmaker who can bring the extraordinary imagination of Tolkien to life and we full heartedly agree with the fans worldwide who know he should be making 'The Hobbit,'" said Sloan, MGM's Chairman and CEO. "Now that we are all in agreement on 'The Hobbit,' we can focus on assembling the production team that will capture this phenomenal tale on film."

Bob Shaye, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO comments, "We are very pleased we have been able to resolve our differences, and that Peter and Fran will be actively and creatively involved with 'The Hobbit' movies. We know they will bring the same passion, care and talent to these films that they so ably accomplished with 'The Lord of the Rings' Trilogy."

"Peter is a visionary filmmaker, and he broke new ground with 'The Lord of the Rings,'" notes Michael Lynne, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO. "We're delighted he's back for 'The Hobbit' films and that the Tolkien saga will continue with his imprint. We greatly appreciate the efforts of Harry Sloan, who has been instrumental in helping us reach our new accord."

The two "Hobbit" films The Hobbit and its sequel are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, with pre-production beginning as soon as possible. Principal photography is tentatively set for a 2009 start, with the intention of The Hobbit release slated for 2010 and its sequel the following year, in 2011.

The Oscar-winning, critically-acclaimed LOTR Trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box-office. In 2003, "Return of the King" swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the eleven categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The Trilogy's production was also unprecedented at the time.

Full article found here (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=40300).

:wve:

Earthcane
19-12-07, 01:48
Mr. Burns, you've made my day. Well early morning. Whatever.

That news brings tears of joy to my eyes, thankies :hug: :jmp:

Just to straighten something out before I start:

* MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, The Hobbit and a sequel to The Hobbit.

Awesome! That's definietly the way it should be done.

But where do you think they'll cut the book?

Perhaps at the fords of the Carrock where the eagles leave the party?
Or when Gandalf leabves to go fight the Necromancer with the White Council?

I'm so glad Peter and New Line have, how did he phrase it, 'put
their differences behind them.'
They did go through a very long bumpy period, now I'm glad they're finally
getting around to filming my alltime fave childhood book.

:tmb:

Mr.Burns
19-12-07, 01:56
Not sure EC. I'm just glad that they worked out their differences and are going forward with the films.

Aztek463
19-12-07, 02:01
Sequel to The Hobbit = The Fellowship of the Ring.

Oh come on, isn't there some law about waiting 30 years or something before doing a remake?

In all seriousness, I've been waiting a long time for this. Can't wait.

Ward Dragon
19-12-07, 02:01
Excellent news :jmp: Will The Hobbit have the same actors as The Lord of the Rings?

Earthcane
19-12-07, 02:03
No, I dont think the sequel is a remake.

They're gonna cut the book in half to make two movies.

A coule of months ago, I heard rumours that they're not only going to
include the Hobbit itself, but coinciding events also.

(In other words, Woot :jmp: )

@ Ward Dragon. McKellan is defo signing up again, I dont know about the rest.

I really want to know who're gonna make up all of the dwarves....

Better than that, who's going to play Balin? :whi:

DREWY
19-12-07, 02:05
Can't say I'm disapointed here. He is the only one who could do it justice in my humble opinion.
2010 and 2011? I can't wait that long!

Earthcane
19-12-07, 02:06
I'll wait till I'm old and grey to see the project done properly....:mis:

I think Weta didn't do as great of a job on Narnia than they did on LOTR.

Gregori
19-12-07, 02:25
These guys were supposed to make Halo, before that project got into development hell.

Anyway, I'm glad they are finally making the Hobbit, though making into two films seems a little strange.

I like LoTR, but they couldn't squeeze in everything in the book into three films or capture the same sense of adventure. I think LoTR needs to be made as a really high quality animated series, with each episode 30-40 mins long with probably 24 Episodes.

Earthcane
19-12-07, 02:29
^ Hmmm. You're on to something there.

LOTR would look graet in an Anime form.
Remember Clone Wars? Everyone thought it was going to suck
but it turned out to be better than Eps II and III combined... :whi:

I'm glad they're making the Hobbit before HALO, though.

Aztek463
19-12-07, 02:31
Can't say I'm disapointed here. He is the only one who could do it justice in my humble opinion.
2010 and 2011? I can't wait that long!

The article said he was producing, not directing. There's a slight difference. :p

Earthcane
19-12-07, 02:33
I heard Sam Raimai was really interested in taking it on.

The director of the abyssmal Spiderman III with the Hobbit in his hands?

:mis:

Mr.Burns
19-12-07, 02:40
@EC: He did direct the Evil Dead trilogy by the way. Not that it says much about his mastery of dramatic cinema but anyway. No I doubt he'd be directing. His style is a bit too quirky for the Hobbit.

Earthcane
19-12-07, 02:43
I know he directed the Evil Dead, graet set of horror films, love them :tmb:

Lovely, heart-warming films for all the family too :whi:

But that was back in the day. Spidey 3 was just one giant money-making
racket, like most Big-budget Hollywood blockbusters these days.

What would you say if I suggsted Guillermot Del Toro for the job?

Necromanser
19-12-07, 02:44
This calls for a celebration.

YwEMxYggoKQ

Melonie Tomb Raider
19-12-07, 02:46
YESSSSSSSS!!!!! :jmp: I'm one happy camper right now. :D

Earthcane
19-12-07, 02:49
@ Nec: Lolz :D

So, back to my question:

At which point of Bilbo's journey do you think they're going to cut it?

Necromanser
19-12-07, 02:50
Im going to kill them if they cut out the scene where Bilbo free's the dwarves from the elven keep.

Earthcane
19-12-07, 02:52
^ By stuffing them into Barrels? :vlol:

Really looking forward to Beorn....

Necromanser
19-12-07, 02:59
Yeah one of te best moments in the book,poor Bobmbur almost died because he was obese.

Looking forward to the Beorn bit as well,I wonder if they're going to show his transformation.

Earthcane
19-12-07, 03:01
I used to picture him in the Clouds Burst as a giant Polar bear.
I dont know why, maybe it was the illustration inthe book.

And we cant forget the almighty Smaug, of course...

Necromanser
19-12-07, 03:04
He's one hell of a smart dragon,making armor for his underbelly and all.I pictured beorn to be ike one of those druid of the claw from warcraft.

Earthcane
19-12-07, 03:06
Oh yeah, I've seen pictures! Cool pairing.

If Smaug looks remotely like the Dragon in Beowulf, would you love it or hate it?

Ward Dragon
19-12-07, 03:07
And we cant forget the almighty Smaug, of course...

Oh yes, I cannot wait! :D I wanted to see everything from the book in a video-type format so I played the Hobbit videogame, but that just doesn't stand up in comparison to the idea of a movie with effects as good as Lord of the Rings. I'll finally get to see Smaug in all his visual glory :D

Edit: I haven't seen Beowulf yet. How does the dragon look? I imagine Smaug to look like a classic lizard-style dragon.

Earthcane
19-12-07, 03:10
I played the Hobbit videogame, thought some sections were totally
awful.

But we can rely on Weta to do the book justice :tmb:

*Pauses to reminisce on the Mumakil and Trolls*

Necromanser
19-12-07, 03:10
Here are the pics of the druids.

http://i8.************/735f4mo.jpg

http://i6.************/834tpgz.jpg

this is how I imagined Beorn,except for the dark blue skin.

Earthcane
19-12-07, 03:13
^ Did you read the book before or after playing this?

It's just I've read the book over a dozen times and the images of
all the characters in my head are constantly changing, lol.

I also cant wait for The Battle of the Five Armies.

That will blow my sox off.....:whi:

Necromanser
19-12-07, 03:16
after,I was 8 when the game came out and culdn't get my hands on the hobbit since we only got taken to a kids library where they didn't have the hobbit.

Earthcane
19-12-07, 03:18
Looks like yhe battle of the 5 Armies is gonna be in the second movie,
so I'm gonna have to wait twice as long for Beorn v. Bolg.

Necromanser
19-12-07, 03:20
Darn it,why are they splitting it up into 2 movies?
Maybe they want to include all parts of it.

Earthcane
19-12-07, 03:22
IMO, because a movie generally sucks when they try to squeeze
everthing into one. And also because PJ likes to do things his way...

Necromanser
19-12-07, 03:24
He made LOTR a cinematographic amsterpiece so I trust his judgement.

Earthcane
19-12-07, 03:26
Ditto to that.

I hope Legolas makes an appearence, since his father is Thranduil,
King of the Woodland Elves.

Necromanser
19-12-07, 03:29
THey'll bring in a bigger audience if Legolas makes an apperance,with Orlando Bloom playing him.

Earthcane
19-12-07, 03:30
Good point. Technically, Gimli could also make an appearance.
Dwarves are practically ageless.

Necromanser
19-12-07, 03:32
A cameo appearance?

Quasimodo
19-12-07, 03:35
The Hobbit was the only Tolkien novel I've read all the way through. I can't wait to see it on the big screen :D

Earthcane
19-12-07, 03:36
Well all dwarves kinda look the same so maybe! :p

Remember the part before the group get kidknapped by Gobbos in the
caves on the slopes of the Misty Mountains?

I hope they include the part about the stone giants.

We've seen trolls, ents, mumaks, draught-beasts, nazgul steeds, but no
giants. I love giants.

@ Heather: you should finish LOTR, its worth it. There are so many hidden pockets of detail
in LOTR that would have looked amazing on film, but never made the final edit.

Necromanser
19-12-07, 03:38
THis is how I imagined a giant

http://www.microsoft.com/games/ageofmythology/img/units/AOM_Giant_sm.jpg

Earthcane
19-12-07, 03:40
Cool giant :tmb:

From WOW again, meguesses?

Have you ever seen the Stone giants in the game Battle for ME?

Alan Lee played a part in designing them.

Quasimodo
19-12-07, 03:40
@ Michael - yeah, LOTR is a series that warrants being read in its entirety :) or so I imagine.

@Necromanser- I get the feeling that any giants in the movie might end up looking lumpy and 'organic' like Hagrid's half-brother :p

Necromanser
19-12-07, 03:43
It's from age of mytholgy.

Earthcane
19-12-07, 03:44
@Necromanser- I get the feeling that any giants in the movie might end up looking lumpy and 'organic' like Hagrid's half-brother

Erm, I dont agree. Weta really put a lot of work into their designs.
Do either of you have the Special Edition Collectors LOTR boxset?

All the concept art is unbelievable, threy went through s many designs to
get to the one they liked.

Necromanser
19-12-07, 03:46
Nope but I saw a collectors edition bosxset with books included(movie guides).

Earthcane
19-12-07, 03:48
It's definitely worth the money. The documentaries are awesome.

Did you know that originally PJ was gonna have Aragorn
fight Sauron before the Black Gates?

Guys, Gtg :wve:

Rivendell
19-12-07, 08:01
:yah: :jmp: :yah: :jmp: :yah: :jmp: :yah: :jmp: :yah:

Greenkey2
19-12-07, 12:12
Two films? :eek: Blah, who cares how many films are being made - the point is they are being made! :jmp:

Wootness! :yah: Thanks for posting Mark; it's brought a smile to my day :D

Earthcane
19-12-07, 12:21
:yah: :jmp: :yah: :jmp: :yah: :jmp: :yah: :jmp: :yah:
^ Someone's happy! :mis:

I wonder is Richard Taylor helming the project...:o

interstellardave
19-12-07, 12:49
Did you know that originally PJ was gonna have Aragorn fight Sauron before the Black Gates?

I'm really glad they didn't do that!

But, as for the Hobbit... :D

Earthcane
19-12-07, 12:51
^ Lol! But not Sauron, but his Elvish form, Annatar.

Do you think Ian Holm will return as Bilbo??

Mad Tony
19-12-07, 12:52
I'll be looking forward to this. :)

Rivendell
19-12-07, 13:33
Do you think Ian Holm will return as Bilbo??

He'd better.

About Aragorn fighting Sauron - if I remember correctly, didn't they just change it from Sauron to that giant Troll?
I remember seeing footage of an angelic-type of being that Aragorn looks at before his "For Frodo" line.

Then shots of Aragorn fighting the armoured Dark Lord. I'm happy with what we got though. :)

Edit: yep.
6IAYNYaNCz8

Betal
19-12-07, 13:35
Wow great news.:D

I was worried someone else was going to produce/ direct this movie.:D

tlr online
19-12-07, 13:35
Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson; Harry Sloan, Chairman and CEO, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM); Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs of New Line Cinema have jointly announced today that they have entered into the following series of agreements:

* MGM and New Line will co-finance and co-distribute two films, The Hobbit and a sequel to The Hobbit. New Line will distribute in North America and MGM will distribute internationally.

* Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh will serve as Executive Producers of two films based on The Hobbit. New Line will manage the production of the films, which will be shot simultaneously.

* Peter Jackson and New Line have settled all litigation relating to the "Lord of the Rings" (LOTR) Trilogy.

Said Peter Jackson, "I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line. 'The Lord of the Rings' is a legacy we proudly share with Bob and Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal fans all over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth. I also want to thank Harry Sloan and our new friends at MGM for helping us find the common ground necessary to continue that journey."

"Peter Jackson has proven himself as the filmmaker who can bring the extraordinary imagination of Tolkien to life and we full heartedly agree with the fans worldwide who know he should be making 'The Hobbit,'" said Sloan, MGM's Chairman and CEO. "Now that we are all in agreement on 'The Hobbit,' we can focus on assembling the production team that will capture this phenomenal tale on film."

Bob Shaye, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO comments, "We are very pleased we have been able to resolve our differences, and that Peter and Fran will be actively and creatively involved with 'The Hobbit' movies. We know they will bring the same passion, care and talent to these films that they so ably accomplished with 'The Lord of the Rings' Trilogy."

"Peter is a visionary filmmaker, and he broke new ground with 'The Lord of the Rings,'" notes Michael Lynne, New Line Co-Chairman and Co-CEO. "We're delighted he's back for 'The Hobbit' films and that the Tolkien saga will continue with his imprint. We greatly appreciate the efforts of Harry Sloan, who has been instrumental in helping us reach our new accord."

The two "Hobbit" films The Hobbit and its sequel are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, with pre-production beginning as soon as possible. Principal photography is tentatively set for a 2009 start, with the intention of The Hobbit release slated for 2010 and its sequel the following year, in 2011.

The Oscar-winning, critically-acclaimed LOTR Trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box-office. In 2003, "Return of the King" swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the eleven categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The Trilogy's production was also unprecedented at the time.

Full article found here (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=40300).

:wve:

Great news :tmb:

Necromanser
19-12-07, 13:36
He'd better.

About Aragorn fighting Sauron - if I remember correctly, didn't they just change it from Sauron to that giant Troll?
I remember seeing footage of an angelic-type of being that Aragorn looks at before his "For Frodo" line.

Then shots of Aragorn fighting the armoured Dark Lord. I'm happy with what we got though. :)

Edit: yep.
6IAYNYaNCz8
Im more than happy with what we've got.

Nannonxyay
19-12-07, 15:36
My dad will love this lol. :p Actually, I will love this!

Earthcane
13-01-08, 21:48
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/hobbitnews.php?id=40850

:yik:

Sorry if this is old news, but :yik: !!!!

The second movie is about other LOTR related material?

'The Hobbit' and another will take place between the 60 years that happened between 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings,'"

Rivendell
13-01-08, 22:30
*Hopes for the White Coucil driving the Necromancer out of Dol Guldor*

:jmp:

Earthcane
13-01-08, 22:44
Yeah, that would be the most cinematic of the parts of the tale that go
'off-camera' so to speak.

The blog ( linked in the above webpage) is very speculative.

How about the Fall of the Necromancer at Dol Guldur is the climax
to Hobbit 1, with The Battle of the 5 Armies as the climax for part II??

Reggie
13-01-08, 23:07
Wow this sounds very interesting...I'm so glad PJ is working on this and we're simply getting another LOTR film. Good stuff. :D

Shark_Blade
14-01-08, 03:18
Ah, it happened at last. I'll be thrill to watch the outcome with an open mind :)

Necromanser
14-01-08, 07:13
*Hopes for the White Coucil driving the Necromancer out of Dol Guldor*

:jmp:
Wha?Where do you suppose I'll have to live after that?

Rivendell
14-01-08, 07:27
:vlol:

Try somewhere beyond those dark and foreboding mountains to the east. ;)

Lara Croft!
14-01-08, 12:16
2010...... Man, that is so far away!

Ada the Mental
14-01-08, 17:01
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/jumping/jumping0045.gif http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/jumping/jumping0045.gif

Ahem! Feeling articulate today!^ :rolleyes:
But seriously, I can't wait! :D

illuminati30
14-01-08, 17:05
He will he won't, he will, he won't, money issues, he will, he won't, more money issues, he will, he won't and on and on.

I will believe it when i see it.

2 movies, how come?

ThomasCroft
14-01-08, 17:12
This is fantastic news!! :jmp:

lararoxs
14-01-08, 18:05
Yay!! One of my faveourite books!:DI heard about this a while ago, and knew he would be making it after King Kong but i had almost forgotten about it!:D thanks Mr.Burns!

Valixia
14-01-08, 18:16
Eee, yay! Great news. 8)