PDA

View Full Version : The most THOUGHTLESS gift you can think of...

scion05
20-12-07, 19:33
Go on ? :p

I know someone who bought someone a tub of mini cheddars for xmas :yik: she was so embarassed to give them, she refused to
let the girl open them in front of her :vlol:

The Item In Question :pi: :

http://www.123healthybalance.com/i/products/mini-cheddars.jpg

george_croft
20-12-07, 19:34
Hmm, probably socks. =/

Mini cheddars rock btw. :p

remote91
20-12-07, 19:36
Body spray, seriously, what the hell is that about, dont they know us teenagers have enough since last christmas.

tombraider123
20-12-07, 19:38
Body spray, seriously, what the hell is that about, dont they know us teenagers have enough since last christmas.

OMG so true!!!

I still have loads from last year!

Melonie Tomb Raider
20-12-07, 19:40
When I was about 16 or 17 my youth group at church had a christmas get together where everyone brought a gift. The person who's name was drawn picked a random wrapped gift, not knowing what it was, and that wast he one they had to stick with. We were lal supposed to bring real gifts, and everyone did, except one person. The gift they brought was a pop tart. :vlol:

SamReeves
20-12-07, 20:01
Fruitcakes of course! :D

Here's what happens when a fruitcake meets an old television set! :o

naUIkW3H63o

la-la-lara
20-12-07, 20:15
Gift packs!:vlol:

Yes! I've seen this one too! :cln:

Bumio
20-12-07, 20:16
damn it, i always get candles :pi:
http://www.arizonasun.com/General-Gifts/General-Gifts-Arizonasun-Scented-Candle-906A.jpg
usually from my aunts. i hate it, i have loads of them all over my home. sometimes i even throw away some of them :whi:

star girl
20-12-07, 20:16
On my 13th birthday, my BEST FRIEND @ THAT TIME gave me a red mug of Loopy Lass... o.0

Bumio
20-12-07, 20:19
what is a Loopy Lass?

Nephili
20-12-07, 20:20
I got a book on stars once, I could understand it if I was interested in that sort of thing, but i'm not.

Quasimodo
20-12-07, 20:22

lol that reminds me of how my mum used to run around the cosmetics section before xmas like a chicken with its head cut off trying to decide on a body spray & lotion gift basket for every girl at her office :vlol:

I feel mean calling any gift thoughtless but when I was younger my aunt gave me a matching ceramic potpourri holder, same as the one she got my mom. Not exactly what a 12-13yo wants for xmas :p A friend once gave me a pair of these ginormous hideous kitty slippers...:vlol: Another time one of my parents' friends got me a gift card for gasoline...before I had a car or even a learner's permit! I was 15 or something.

The most thoughtless gift I can think of, though? Probably cash. No- scratch that- it's definitely a body spray and lotion gift basket :]

ben croft
20-12-07, 20:30
lol funny thread :D

Greenkey2
I'm always in two-minds over buying/receiving body wash, bath salts, scrubs etc. Are you really meaning to imply the person receiving the gift needs to wash more often? It's just as bad thinking you might be the stinky one in question :whi:

Fortunately the way to reconcile this dilemma is to only buy the very best - cue staggering from The Body Shop with gorilla-arms down to the floor clutching bags the size of hot air balloons. Simply buying masses of Head & Shoulders for your loved ones doesn't have quite the same effect.... ;)

But as for thoughtless gifts... I think you've set the bar pretty high with the mini cheddars, David. Socks would be next on the list, as george_croft's already said.

Perhaps buying clothes that don't fit or suit the recipient at all would also score highly? It's pretty rough when a 6' 4" rugby player gets given a 20" chest Hawaiian shirt with pink flamingos on it... :pi:

laracroft2122
The most thoughtless gift for me would probably be a coffin or something like that :p

spikejones
20-12-07, 20:32
Gift cards - there like saying "I guess I have to get you something but I have no clue what you like because I never asked."

the exception to that is a Starbucks gift card. please send me as many as you like!!

Anubis_AF
20-12-07, 20:36
Empty can of expired soda.`

walk_man
20-12-07, 20:36
Mugs, you obviously have some already if you like Tea/Coffee. :hea:

Reggie
20-12-07, 20:44
Socks would be next on the list, as george_croft's already said.

I'm a bit worried now.
I bought my older sister two pairs of socks. One pair was peachy-pink and the other purple-pink. They were both feather soft, and were made locally, hand wrapped with a nice gold ribbon and all. I thought they'd be nice since she always gets cold so easily and I know how much she likes fluffy, pink things.

Have I bought an awful present? :(

Bumio
20-12-07, 20:49
I'm a bit worried now.
I bought my older sister two pairs of socks. One pair was peachy-pink and the other purple-pink. They were both feather soft, and were made locally, hand wrapped with a nice gold ribbon and all. I thought they'd be nice since she always gets cold so easily and I know how much she likes fluffy, pink things.

ah of course no, i wish i could get a warm cozy socks instead of all those candles lol :D

Sedge
20-12-07, 20:51
The most thoughtless gift for me would probably be a coffin or something like that :p
Wouldn't that be extremely thoughtful instead.. ? :D :mis:

Hmm, I don't know about thoughtless gifts.. It really depends on who's the receiver. O_o

spikejones
20-12-07, 20:55
I'm a bit worried now.

I think socks are great to receive, as long as they are not just some ordinary white socks. I love getting those thick warm socks that have the no-slip pads on the bottom.

jeremyANDROGYNY
20-12-07, 20:57
One year my cousin Derek's grandma gave him a box for Christmas. I really don't know what he would do with that.

star girl
20-12-07, 21:20
what is a Loopy Lass?

A cartoon character, apparently..

This, my friend, was the prescription on that mug - only the background was red... :pi:

_th. (http://img50184.pictiger.com/images/13494893/)

No seriously, I turned 13!!!! WHAT a fitting gift! :pi:

Reggie
20-12-07, 21:25
ah of course no, i wish i could get a warm cozy socks instead of all those candles lol :D

I think socks are great to receive, as long as they are not just some ordinary white socks. I love getting those thick warm socks that have the no-slip pads on the bottom.

*relief* thanks, puts my mind at rest. :)

tombraiderluka
20-12-07, 21:33
A gum packed in the small box for jewellery (earings,ring..) :mis:

DickDan
20-12-07, 21:42
belly lint

xMiSsCrOfTx
20-12-07, 21:45
Money. I admit, I LOVE getting it for Christmas or birthdays or whatever, but seriously. There's like, NO thought or effort put into that at all. Same with gift cards, although I guess if the person getting it for you knows you really like a specific store or something and gets you one from there, that's a little more forgiveable... :p

Agent 47
20-12-07, 21:50
a 360, if a family member ever considered getting me one.....hell hath no fury :jmp:

on a serious note.........Toiletries, wft,you can buy those at any time, giving them or receiving them is just so damn cheap and lame IMO, same with kitchen utensils too :mad:

xcrushterx
20-12-07, 21:50
The most thoughtless gift anyone can give anyone is nothing =]

Vertigo
20-12-07, 21:57
The worst gift to me was..... socks. Bleh....

lara is mine
20-12-07, 22:09
a rolling backpack

Dakaruch
20-12-07, 22:11
a thootpaste and a brush to brush your teeths :vlol:
i've done that to one of my friends!

Rivendell
20-12-07, 22:14
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5082/ripplepm4.jpg

I crap you not. From my dad. All wrapped up and everything, I didn't quite know what to say to that Christmas gift.

_Lam
20-12-07, 22:14
Loll few years ago my grand-mother recieved a cauldron (don't know if it's the right word)... But she was so happy, she thought nobody would give her this crap gift.

Don't EVER give me a cauldron, I'm not even able to make Kraft Diner !
PS : I don't think you know what's Kraft Diner.... Damn !

Titanium
20-12-07, 22:16

I crap you not. From my dad. All wrapped up and everything, I didn't quite know what to say to that Christmas gift.

"Thanks Dad, just what I always wanted." :D

Tomb Raider Master
20-12-07, 22:21
OMG. I don't know what to say now, not the mention the situation you were in... :D

Agent 47
20-12-07, 22:21

:vlol:

"hmmm tasty" might have been suffice :D

Rivendell
20-12-07, 22:27
It was very awkward indeed, luckily he didn't catch hold of my disheartened 'thanks', as he looked really chuffed with himself. :\

Money well spent dad, money well spent.

Titanium
20-12-07, 22:29
It was very awkward indeed, luckily he didn't catch hold of my disheartened 'thanks', as he looked really chuffed with himself. :\

And what did you get him that year?

Rivendell
20-12-07, 22:30
And what did you get him that year?

I've no idea, lol! That's the only gift that stood out from that Xmas in memory!

Sedge
20-12-07, 22:31
..what is that, exactly? Something to eat? What? o.O Sorry, never seen.. :p

Titanium
20-12-07, 22:31
I've no idea, lol! That's the only gift that stood out from that Xmas in memory!

Oh dear. Well why dont you get him a ripple this year? And see how he feels? :mis:

jarhead
20-12-07, 22:32

Shame, you could have saved yourself the hassle of buying a present for him next year and just 'returned the favour'??

Socks etc are a bit lame but to be honest no-one really goes out to buy thicky wooly socks etc so its actually a necessity----anyway that ALL means I like all christmas presents, afterall its the thought that counts

Agent 47
20-12-07, 22:33
..what is that, exactly? Something to eat? What? o.O Sorry, never seen.. :p

it's a UK chocolate bar, of the Galaxy variety....made by Mars :)

Rivendell
20-12-07, 22:33
Lmao! Get him a Ripple and when he opens it yell "IN YO' FACE!" :ohn:

kewlkyle64
20-12-07, 22:34
I remember one year my brother gave me a disc (no box) with the game that I wanted at the time's logo on it (so it looked like the game disc). I put it into my Xbox, and it turned out to be one of my OXM discs...

And this was the only present he gave me. :P

Agent 47
20-12-07, 22:35
Lmao! Get him a Ripple and when he opens it yell "IN YO' FACE!" :ohn:

NO!!!!!

show a bit of class Rivendell :mad: get him a Cadbury's Crunchy, it's in a foil wrapper and shows effort :D

Titanium
20-12-07, 22:36
NO!!!!!

show a bit of class Rivendell :mad: get him a Cadbury's Crunchy, it's in a foil wrapper and shows effort :D

And make sure it has a competition on it. "See Dad, its shiny, its chocolate and you can win a car, isnt it the perfect gift?" :D

jarhead
20-12-07, 22:38
Still got the wrapper ??
surely thats better.

I think I'm gonna get people advent calenders for christmas, in some shops you can get them for around 10 p !!!

Bowie
20-12-07, 22:38
This is so embarassing and shameful, but when I was about 8 years old I gave my gran an orange peel for Christmas. :confused::(

Sedge
20-12-07, 22:41
it's a UK chocolate bar, of the Galaxy variety....made by Mars :)
Does it taste any good? :D

Twilight
20-12-07, 22:48
hmmm. i guess some cheap jewlry i got last year. but it didnt matter to me. it was an aunt anyway, i dont see her often.

jackali
20-12-07, 22:51
Right... I've been bought cigarettes. I'm a non-smoker. I think that was pretty damned thoughtless.

tombraider123
20-12-07, 22:51

They are lush.

Pipolinne
20-12-07, 23:06

Chris,do I must explain you everything :D?

Chocolate - Cocoa - Mayan - TR:U - Lara Croft

Your father was acknowledging your TR liking and also predicting the next TR game :D!

Well...sometimes I think gifts like those are quite a riddle. I once received a package of pasta :pi:.

Titanium
20-12-07, 23:09

Your father was acknowledging your TR liking and also predicting the next TR game :D!

Well...sometimes I think gifts like those are quite a riddle. I once received a package of pasta :pi:.

Must I explain it to you as well?

Pasta = Italian = Venice = Tomb Raider 2 - Lara Croft. :)
So thats actually a really good gift... sort of. :p

Pipolinne
20-12-07, 23:13
I want my copyright,Titanium :vlol:!

Colin125
20-12-07, 23:13
5 gift voucher. Need I say more lol.

Twilight
20-12-07, 23:14
^ lol, how thoughtful when u connect it like that.

Right... I've been bought cigarettes. I'm a non-smoker. I think that was pretty damned thoughtless.

woa, more lik the worst gift ever, its lik saying "i want u to die slowly." ouch

jackali
20-12-07, 23:15
woa, more lik the worst gift ever, its lik saying "i want u to die slowly." ouch

Oh, now there's a cheerful way of putting it. :p

Twilight
20-12-07, 23:16
Oh, now there's a cheerful way of putting it. :p

eh, sorry. well at least u didnt smoke it :)

Titanium
20-12-07, 23:16
I want my copyright,Titanium :vlol:!

But it isnt copyrighted so... :p

Thats not so bad Colin, although it does depend what the gift voucher was for. :p

jackali
20-12-07, 23:20
eh, sorry. well at least u didnt smoke it :)

No, I didn't. But then again, I suppose I could have got something worse, like a free trial of decapitation or something, so I should be thinking myself lucky. :p

Colin125
20-12-07, 23:20
For clothes. What on earth am I going to get with 5, socks. :D They should have just brought me them. I hate getting money as a present.

USP
20-12-07, 23:21
A big bag of dingleberries

Dark Lugia 2
20-12-07, 23:33
A big bag of dingleberries
ya naaaaaaasty :p
i aalways getbath sets. are they implying i smell?
:confused::p XD

Lone Raider
20-12-07, 23:35
Mud Guards. Seeing as I don't use my bicycle, it took me a moment to recover.

trXD
20-12-07, 23:37
The most thoughtless thing i cant think of is someone saying "Here is your present... pride and dignity" or some other emotion like that.

kryptonite23
20-12-07, 23:39
A cheese straberry moose :p

USP
20-12-07, 23:41
Haha, how about "friendship"
No, you go buy me a goddamn present, I don't want your friendship

Camera Obscura
20-12-07, 23:42
Three Christmases ago a classmate gave my friend the ultimate Christmas present: A fart. :cen:

USP
20-12-07, 23:44
Was it hand delivered or airshipped?

Agent 47
20-12-07, 23:49

it's like a Cadbury's Flake only a Ripple is wrapped in chocolate

so yes it is quite nice :D

kryptonite23
20-12-07, 23:58
it's like a Cadbury's Flake only a Ripple is wrapped in chocolate

so yes it is quite nice :D
I am getting hungy :p

Librarian
21-12-07, 00:00
"Here, have a gift wrapped tampon!"

Lulz.

USP
21-12-07, 00:01
"Here, have a gift wrapped tampon!"

Lulz.

I am getting hungy :p

Alright forgive me, that was disgusting.

Beanz
21-12-07, 00:01
I don't know, but someone gave me an ann summers voucher once.... I'm a 13 year old boy for god's sake ;/

kryptonite23
21-12-07, 00:03
Alright forgive me, that was disgusting.

I acceprt your apology :D

BtoFu
21-12-07, 00:06
A Xmas Tree.

'Oh great I'll put it under the one I aready have, ta'

gotha-666
21-12-07, 00:24
an empty supermarket bag :D

thecentaur
21-12-07, 00:26
you know, fruitcakes are actually a way to say, " i hate you" :D

Encore
21-12-07, 00:31
I always get mugs. Useless, huge, heavy mugs with lots of decorations but no real purpose.

Vertigo
21-12-07, 00:32
A Xmas Tree.

'Oh great I'll put it under the one I aready have, ta'

lol!:tea:

Shark_Blade
21-12-07, 01:45
A roll of toilet paper. :D

Indiana Croft
21-12-07, 01:57
Fruitcake. It means, "I cared enough to get you a present, but I didn't care enough to get you a good one." Who wants to eat something that looks the same coming out as it does going in?

Beanz
21-12-07, 02:12
^Ew! :vlol:

Made me choke on my drink :D

michaeldt
21-12-07, 03:02
a rock :D

gotha-666
21-12-07, 03:29
a rock :D

LMFAO! :vlol:

rowanlim
21-12-07, 04:38
i always get peanuts, chocolates... :rolleyes:

star girl
21-12-07, 04:42
I always get mugs. Useless, huge, heavy mugs with lots of decorations but no real purpose.

No but there is a purpose, use it as a pencil holder! :D

Now getting a loopy lass mug which clearly states you as "utterly batty, monsterously scatty and weird loopy lass" on your thirteenth birthday is NOT fun.. :pi:

Little-Lara
21-12-07, 04:46
The most thoughtless gift = regifting something. :p

I've known people to just save something they didn't like to receive as a gift, and give it to another person. Don't matter how much the price, but definitely thoughtless.

damn it, i always get candles :pi:
http://www.arizonasun.com/General-Gifts/General-Gifts-Arizonasun-Scented-Candle-906A.jpg
usually from my aunts. i hate it, i have loads of them all over my home. sometimes i even throw away some of them :whi:

:vlol: sorry, that just made me laugh. But so true, candles are such a fad now. :(

disneyprincess20
21-12-07, 07:41
Shortcake. Every year my aunt gives my sister and myself a big box of shortcake, even though we don't like it.

Ikas90
21-12-07, 08:54
I gave a pack of mints to one of my school teachers as a present...

Rexie
21-12-07, 09:03
I get minimum 4 boxes of these every year...I'm sick of them...
https://www.eckeroline.fi/medialibrary/data/vihreat_kuulat-%7Brf8oe-piodc-lumxp%7D.GIF

couldn't find a bigger pic...

Voni
21-12-07, 09:12
Shortcake. Every year my aunt gives my sister and myself a big box of shortcake, even though we don't like it.

Send it this way! I love shortcake.

My birthday's in January, so a lot of people get my gifts in the sales. My nan once gave me a pink (PINK! I was a 13 year old tomboy!) dressing gown, with the Christmas tag still attached to it from the shop. Cheers nan!

kryptonite23
21-12-07, 09:13
What about a bananacue stick :)

ivannnnn
21-12-07, 09:17
Expired jelly drink. Occured on my birthday. My best friend gave it to me. Oh my! :pi:

Nannonxyay
21-12-07, 13:06
A pack of batteries with a tag on it which reads: "Toy not included." :D

clairelovestlc
21-12-07, 13:11
Any aunt of mine got me some paper once... Not fancy or pretty paper, just about 20 sheets of plain white A4 printer paper!

Wouldnt have been so thoughless if she didnt already know i have about 50 boxes of the stuff in my study!

mizuno_suisei
21-12-07, 13:13
The most thoughtless gift I can think of, though? Probably cash. No- scratch that- it's definitely a body spray and lotion gift basket :]

If you hadnt have scratched that, I would have completely disagreed. I think Cash is probably the BEST X-Mas present. I'd say majority of the presents anyone recieves are un-wanted. I got given a really expensive Telescope for Xmas a few years ago, and I wasnt interested with the Solar System At all. I've used it prehaps twice. Cash is good because you can CHOOSE what you want to buy. Not get something and think."Um.. Ar.."

IMO, The most thoughtless Xmas present, isnt specifically an item, but any item which hasnt a thing to do with the recievers interests.

Rivendell
21-12-07, 13:29

:vlol: Nicely de-coded!

FourBalls
21-12-07, 13:43
Mugs...Especially those Christmassy ones sold in december. They're just collectors of dust and a waste of space imo, and I've gotten so many :p

matrix54
21-12-07, 13:47
I got a great one: when they give you the old, ugly sweaters. and they make you feel like you HAVE to wear it becaude it was hand knitted. classic.:ton:

Benguitar
21-12-07, 14:18
Fruitcakes of course! :D

Here's what happens when a fruitcake meets an old television set! :o

naUIkW3H63o

Poor tv... Poor Fruit Cake...lol

Capt. Murphy
21-12-07, 15:05
Thoughtless gifts?

Baby clothes for a woman that had either a miscarriage or an abortion.

An anniversary card to a girl/guy that Loved you so much, but you dumped them for someone with better looks. And in it is naked pictures of you and your new catch of the month, you're both smiling and flipping the bird to the camera. In it you write, "Just thinking of You... and how much you *bleep*!!! Ha-ha!"

"Brownie Surprise". And Fido helped you make them.

"4 More Years (of) President Bush" parephenalia to your liberal/hippie/Bush hating friends.

Santa's severed head in a gift box to a child that is crazy about Santa.

Oh wait. These are more like 'heartless' than thoughtless. *shrugs* Oh well.

petujaymz
21-12-07, 15:07
Gift wrap a pack of sanitary towels for a female friend; it always goes down well...

Ten minutes later, give them their real present.

:wve:

Capt. Murphy
21-12-07, 15:11
Gift wrap a pack of sanitary towels for a female friend; it always goes down well...

Ten minutes later, give them their real present.

:wve:
"It" That's what we call "female friends" now?

Classy. :pi:

nirvanaa
21-12-07, 17:17
A pack of batteries with a tag on it which reads: "Toy not included." :D

:vlol: OMG!
I gave to one of my classmates, who was a boy a pink pony, because he mentioned this once as a joke. Of course later I gave him the real present. :)

scion05
21-12-07, 18:11
One year my cousin Derek's grandma gave him a box for Christmas. I really don't know what he would do with that.

:vlol: OMG :vlol:

ben_the_joka
21-12-07, 18:33
Tampons obviously...

tombraider123
21-12-07, 18:44
I don't know, but someone gave me an ann summers voucher once.... I'm a 13 year old boy for god's sake ;/

LMAO! That is the funniest thing I have read today. :jmp:

Archetype
21-12-07, 19:48
Ive been given bluetack for christmas before by one of my relatives, her eye sight isn't too good.

danitiwa
21-12-07, 20:15
Buttons or a jar... Or paper.

tomblover
21-12-07, 20:26
I get minimum 4 boxes of these every year...I'm sick of them...
https://www.eckeroline.fi/medialibrary/data/vihreat_kuulat-%7Brf8oe-piodc-lumxp%7D.GIF

couldn't find a bigger pic... You don't know how much I love those! :eek:

Heh, I dunno. A wrapped in school essay with an A+ perhaps? :p

silver_wolf
21-12-07, 20:31

:vlol:the worst gift....s I ever got were an encyclopedia and a little dancing hamster dressed in a lab coat that sang some 80's song about science when you pressed a button. It sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks on crack. Both were from the same person. Seriously, word gets out you're smart and you get the worst gifts ever.

danitiwa
21-12-07, 20:44

This morning for secret santa's I saw my friend just put a pack of "Prince" cookies in a bag and say it was a present for the person he got. :p I thought that was a bit of a strange present, I was apparently very wrong. -_-

A box of chocolates, maybe... But A chocolate BAR?

NightWish
21-12-07, 20:48
for me a thoughtless gift is something that really cant be used for anything but carching dust on a shelf. And I have too amny of those

TombFreak
21-12-07, 20:49
The most thoughtless gift would be a bandaide. Not even a box of bandaides, just one.

Agent 47
21-12-07, 20:54
a plot of land in a cemetary

i don't think you can get anymore thoughtless than that :jmp:

Lara's Backpack
21-12-07, 21:13
Tooth paste? LOL

Or an empty shoebox wrapped extravengently :p

da tomb raider!
21-12-07, 21:17
Socks. :p

thecentaur
21-12-07, 21:20
breath spray or glue

Angelus
21-12-07, 21:21
Nothing.

"Oh, I haven't had the time or money to buy you anything". :D

Not even a card?

thecentaur
21-12-07, 21:24
probably a card that you stole from the person you gave it to earlier and crossed out "Happy Birthday" or "It's a Girl!" and put "Merry Christmas!"

Angelus
21-12-07, 21:39
Buttons or a jar... Or paper.

Buttons? :vlol:

The most thoughtless gift would be a bandaide. Not even a box of bandaides, just one.

Lmao! They can only give you one, as they need to hand out the rest of the box to the family!

probably a card that you stole from the person you gave it to earlier and crossed out "Happy Birthday" or "It's a Girl!" and put "Merry Christmas!"

LMFAO! That's the best one yet! :vlol:

silver_wolf
21-12-07, 21:42
a plot of land in a cemetary

i don't think you can get anymore thoughtless than that :jmp:
on the contrary, it's very thoughtful. It saves them time and money;)

TombFreak
21-12-07, 21:48
Buttons? :vlol:

Lmao! They can only give you one, as they need to hand out the rest of the box to the family!

LOL!! It's like, " Oh no you didn't just give me bandaides for Xmas!? " :ohn::ohn: :vlol::vlol::vlol:

Angelus
21-12-07, 21:51
LOL!! It's like, " Oh no you didn't just give me bandaides for Xmas!? " :ohn::ohn: :vlol::vlol::vlol:

"Not just any band aids - they're waterproof."

Reggie
21-12-07, 21:54
The most thoughtless gift is a gift given without thought.
The gift can be pretty much anything and be thoughtful if it is given with thought.

silver_wolf
21-12-07, 21:57
no need to get all literal on us...

Reggie
21-12-07, 22:02
You need not adopt the same approach as me. But that is my approach to gifts/presents. :)

silver_wolf
21-12-07, 22:05
I was joking. But I do agree....sort of....I suppose it is the "thought that counts" but I'll still be pretty upset if I get a crappy gift.

jackali
21-12-07, 22:07
The most thoughtless gift is a gift given without thought.
The gift can be pretty much anything and be thoughtful if it is given with thought.

Good point, and nicely put. Although, I would tend to say that while thought may have been put into a gift, if it's a crap gift, they didn't put much thought into it.

Off topic - I love your signature.:p

Reggie
21-12-07, 22:12
Ah, the internet is pretty awful for getting jokes across :/
I know it sounds cliche but I do believe it has a good deal of substance for those who innately believe it to be the case that the value of something is defined by the context its given in and how clear the good intentions are that it is given in. If those two points are satisfied, everything from a 100 000 gold ring to a christmas card can have equal quality.

Good point, and nicely put. Although, I would tend to say that while thought may have been put into a gift, if it's a crap gift, they didn't put much thought into it.

Off topic - I love your signature.:p

Although if this kind of approach was adopted, it would be impossible for the gift to be crap anyway since the person concerned would seek the best present they know in their heart will be appreciated on more than a superficial level. Thereby, satisfying the two points made above. (which is why I especially like this concept, it seems to work well :))

And thanks, its my favourite word. :D

jackali
21-12-07, 22:15
Ah, the internet is pretty awful for getting jokes across :/
I know it sounds cliche but I do believe it has a good deal of substance for those who innately believe it to be the case that the value of something is defined by the context its given in and how clear the good intentions are that it is given in. If those two points are satisfied, everything from a 100 000 gold ring to a christmas card can have equal quality.

Well, it depends really. I mean, they can have equal quality, but the likelihood is that they don't. And then, I suppose that thought can be put in, but then again, the thoughts do not have to be positive. So really, a negative gift can be thoughtful, but unappealing. I can't really be bothered to think anymore, so I'll stop.

TombFreak
21-12-07, 22:19
"Not just any band aids - they're waterproof."

LOL!! " YAY!!!, that makes my Christmas so much better!!!!! "

CerebralAssassin
21-12-07, 22:21
what would qualify as a thoughtless gift?hmm...let's see...aaa:D

something like one of those weight-loss belts that vibrate for one of your fat friends....

first of all they don't work...and second,wouldn't it be an insult to your friend?:p

Wouldn't that be extremely thoughtful instead.. ? :D :mis:

exactly!you have any idea how much those things cost nowadays?!:yik:

Reggie
21-12-07, 22:23
Well, it depends really. I mean, they can have equal quality, but the likelihood is that they don't. And then, I suppose that thought can be put in, but then again, the thoughts do not have to be positive. So really, a negative gift can be thoughtful, but unappealing. I can't really be bothered to think anymore, so I'll stop.

True, but we would assume in this case that the was given with the idea of it causing some form of happiness. Of course at this point we would have to think about what consitutes "happiness" and whether this is what most people even consider that attritbute to be the single most important thing about what's "good" about something/someone. At which point we enter a more complex discussion that would take this thread off topic, so I guess I'll leave it there. Though I can see how this leads back into what you've said above...:/
I will have a little ponder over it though. :p

jackali
21-12-07, 22:26
True, but we would assume in this case that the was given with the idea of it causing some form of happiness. Of course at this point we would have to think about what consitutes "happiness" and whether this is what most people even consider that attritbute to be the single most important thing about what's "good" about something/someone. At which point we enter a more complex discussion that would take this thread off topic, so I guess I'll leave it there.
I will have a little ponder over it though. :p

Perhaps pondering in the morning is a better idea? Less tiredness? :p I would think about it myself, but I've not had all that much sleep, and my brain is what I would call frazzled. So... I'm kind of running on the "fire bad, tree pretty" level of brain functions here. :p

And I suppose if we do want to go off topic, we could move to OC or PMs or emails or MSN or something...

Reggie
21-12-07, 22:27
No probs. Have a good sleep!
And yeah, PMs, OC etc. would be a cool option. :)

walk_man
21-12-07, 22:28
Someone has said this before, the most thoughtless gift is nothing.

No matter what it is, the person who gives it too you has put some thought in it, no matter how cheap/small it is. :)

jackali
21-12-07, 22:29
Someone has said this before, the most thoughtless gift is nothing.

No matter what it is, the person who gives it too you has put some thought in it, no matter how cheap/small it is. :)

But if you don't want anything?

silver_wolf
21-12-07, 22:29
what about a bomb? I suppose they had to think about where they could get a bomb and how they could set it up so you die and they don't but still...

jackali
21-12-07, 22:30
No probs. Have a good sleep!
And yeah, PMs, OC etc. would be a cool option. :)

Which is your weapon of choice? Err... I mean preferred method of communication? :p

Reggie
21-12-07, 22:32
Ermm...PM I think. 'Tis my favourite form of communication. :)
However, I'd be prepared to give a better reply about it tomorrow after some rest and extra thinking time/power. :p

just*raidin*tomb
21-12-07, 22:36
The most thoughtless gift to give would be fruit cake:p

...gross:o

Legends
21-12-07, 22:37
Send an SMS to a person you really should buy something expensive too, just to let them know they aren't forgotten, but still won't get anything.

"I wish you a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year.

PS: You don't have to reply. ;)"

TombFreak
21-12-07, 22:40
Nice avi. Legends

Veronica Ma
22-12-07, 08:25
But if you don't want anything?Yes, that's the flip side. When a gift is given with good intentions and is treated like "nothing", then it is better not to have given the gift at all, because both parties feel bad... so maybe nothing is a more humane gift after all.