PDA

View Full Version : REQUEST: Need help writing a Japanese email to a friend in Japan

Reggie
24-12-07, 21:19
Hi guys, I'm in a little bit of a predicament because I've not yet fully learnt everything I absolutely need to know about the Japanese language and my lack of knowledge has reared its ugly head as I've promised to write back an email in Japanese only to find its proving quite difficult. So if anyone here with a moderately good grasp of the Japanese language could possibly help in some way, I'd be really grateful.

Here's what I want to say:

Specifically, I'm having trouble saying:
I have received your letter from Japan.

context goes like this: I have received your letter from Japan.The photos and messages are great/good (whatever the most apt word would be...). Thank you very much!

Also, this is my first ever email (in Japanese) so it would be great if someone could proofread and check it over so that I don't send something riddled with mistakes (Which I'm nervous I'll end up doing).
Help would be much much appreciated :hug:

tombraiderluka
24-12-07, 21:45
私はあなたの手紙を受け取ったからjapan.the写真やメッセージは、偉大な

Ok I did this on Google :)

Encore
24-12-07, 21:46
Google or any other translator isn't reliable.. :( Let's wait for someone who actually knows a bit japanese, I'm sorry I can't help..

tombraiderluka
24-12-07, 21:48
Google or any other translator isn't reliable.. :( Let's wait for someone who actually knows a bit japanese, I'm sorry I can't help..
Oh :( Well I certanly didn't know cause all translating I did was correct :)

Reggie
Unfortunately, Google isn't known for being terribly reliable. Thanks for trying though...
But yeah, anyone out with some knowledge, please help me out if you can. :)

ajrich17901
How do u get a pen pal from japan I want one! LOl

nick-xx
24-12-07, 21:57
you can wait for findme i think he know about jap

Reggie
25-12-07, 14:21
Would be nice if someone could help, so that I could thank them coherantly otherwise I don't really feel I stand a chance for future emails in Japanese. :(
(And Google's being so damn unhelpful :hea:)

findme
26-12-07, 02:57
nick, I'm not japanese :p

Twilight
26-12-07, 03:08
Would be nice if someone could help, so that I could thank them coherantly otherwise I don't really feel I stand a chance for future emails in Japanese. :(
(And Google's being so damn unhelpful :hea:)

u can translate each word with this http://dictionary.reference.com/translate/

(pretty helpful with spanish hw :pi:)

Chiki Mina
26-12-07, 03:11
I always say that those languages translators from the internet never work. Because I am Spanish and some of my friends that showed me on how they translated their English to Spanish was horrible O_O.

I think Jin is Japanese. Correct me if I'm wrrong, please.

Twilight
26-12-07, 03:13
I always say that those languages translators from the internet never work. Because I am Spanish and some of my friends that showed me on how they translated their English to Spanish was horrible O_O.

I think Jin is Japanese. Correct me if I'm wrrong, please.

isnt that a name? like in Tekken (which is japanese) a fighter's name was Jin Kazama.

well i once translated 2 paragraphs into spanish using the translator and i had only 3 mistakes. the trick is doing each word, then u move the words around to fit the language's grammar.

Chiki Mina
26-12-07, 03:17
isnt that a name? like in Tekken (which is japanese) a fighter's name was Jin Kazama.

well i once translated 2 paragraphs into spanish using the translator and i had only 3 mistakes. the trick is doing each word, then u move the words around to fit the language's grammar.

Actualy, I was tlaking about a member here by the name of jin or the nick name being of jin (something). lol :p

But, since you're talking about Jin Kazama. I really like him :D.

Reggie
26-12-07, 13:05
Jin lives in the philipines I believe. So you have the right continent but wrong country.

Also, Jin is a word in the japanese vocabulary and it means something like "person".
For example:
Igirisu-jin = English-man.

mizuno_suisei
26-12-07, 14:33
Hi Reggie, I've been studying Japanese for just about 9 years now. And I'm hoping I can help you out! :wve:

I have received your letter from Japan.The photos and messages are great/good (whatever the most apt word would be...). Thank you very much!

In Japanese.
貴方 の 手紙 を 呉れて、 あの 写真 と メッセジ が よかったね!
どうも ありがとう ございます。

In Japanese/English (Romaji)
anata no tegami wo kurete, ano shashin to messeji ga yokattane. doumo arigatou gozaimasu.

A breakdown.

anata You
no Posession (With anata, its like Your)
tegami Letter
wo *Subject Particle*
kurete *Recieved*

ano Those
shashin Photos
to and
messeji messages
ga *Subject Particle*
yokatta Were good. (Adding ne to yokatta = yokattane = enphasis, i.e. They were very good!)

doumo arigatou gozaimasu The most polite way of saying thankyou very much in Japanese.

Hope it helps!

mizuno_suisei
26-12-07, 14:46
Just to point out to others. Japanese Online Translators DONT give sentences. If you put a singular word or two, It will be correct (Acts like a dictionary).

Lets use some examples, Some translations from Altavista Babelfish.

Ok, So I type in

"Reggie says she needs help"
Which gives me
"Reggie は彼女が助けを必要とすることを言う。"
Which in my own mind Japanese to English translating means
"Reggie,She help, She help more, Really wants, Said."

Now, you see thats completely wrong. The basic way to say it would be
"Reggie says she needs help"
(By the way, As I dont know how to pronounce Reggie, I will assume it rhymes with Vegi (Vegetable)
”レジ さん は 「たすけて!」 と 言っている。”
"Reji san wa [tasukete!] to itteiru."
Which will then be translated similarly by the Japanese as
The subject is Reggie, She is saying she wants help.

Online Translators = No no.

Angelus
26-12-07, 14:49
Reggie is a he, and use the "edit" button next time, or I'll have to go all kung fu on yo ass!

Is Japanese hard to learn?

mizuno_suisei
26-12-07, 14:56
:o I completely missed it! My aplogies about the EDIT button and mistaking Reggie for a she. It happens. Sorry matey.

Suprisingly, Its rather simple. It really consists of Particles, Alphabets, Sentance structures and learning those complicated Chinese Characters imported to Japanese from the Chinese Language. I'd say its probably the best language to learn as its so simple. But, thats my opinion.

ShadyCroft
26-12-07, 16:27
^^I strongly disagree (for me). 2 weeks and I couldnt memorise the hiragana table. Thats probably the only barrier there is, but its a really important one. I took a japanese course (free to all interested student here in my university) and I quit after afew lectures because I couldnt keep up (what with my studies and stuff), and its really bad that if you dont know and memorise the hiragana, you wont get what comes after. Its the alpahbets and the core of any language.
But I havent given the language a fair chance so I say am abit hesitant on my opinion. It was hard, yes, but because I had other things to do too and I couldnt keep up. Maybe in the nearest holiday I'll take another course cause, eventhough I thought it was hard and was the only one in class who couldnt keep up, I thought the language was really interesting.

Sayonarra!:D

mizuno_suisei
26-12-07, 17:22
Its good you expressed your opinion, I can obviously see why it was difficult to learn it due to Study and other commitments. The reason why It was so easy for me when I started, is because I was in like grade 2, And I didnt have study to do etc.. But even though I have to study alot for other subjects now, because I have been learning for so long, I keep it up.
I'm glad you find the language interesting, it definately is! And I hope you decide to begin the course again!

ShadyCroft, If you ever want a bit of Japanese help, feel free to drop me a PM or add me to MSN by clicking the MSN Icon under my avatar :)

Zac :wve:

Reggie
26-12-07, 22:28
I've replied back to you via PM about the email problem. :tmb:
And I've just checked out your post there about me needing help and how one would say that in Japanese. I found it amusing and very helpful (I am male though, but no worries - that's the internet for you.) :)

As for the discussion on whether Japanese is that hard, I don't think it actually that bad. True, I've been in a bit of pickle with the email but in general, I've found it easier than German. Now that's one awkward language to study because there's just so much grammatical stuff to remember its unbelieveable. And then you have genders for objects etc...

I've actually found Japanese to be more straightforward in some ways!

mizuno_suisei
27-12-07, 15:58
When I said "Reggie says she needs help" The actual Japanese sentence includes nothing about Gender, So I was only in the wrong for the english part :p Normally in Japanese they dont use She/He, they'll use the Subject's name or just use the term for Male or Female.

I'm glad I helped :wve:

Tomb Raider Master
27-12-07, 19:39
and use the "edit" button next time, or I'll have to go all kung fu on yo ass!
Do we have a problem here?

xcrushterx
27-12-07, 19:49
It was just a joke, methinks.

Mr.Burns
27-12-07, 19:56
It was just a joke, methinks.
Let's just leave it at that. :wve:

Angelus
28-12-07, 19:19