PDA

View Full Version : Frank Herbert's Dune Remake

Mr.Burns
25-12-07, 16:50
So I was futzing around on comingsoon.net

Full article here: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=40383

And this is what I found. So for all of you Dune fans, what do you think? Personally I don't think we need another remake. David Lynch's version was different but decent enough. Sci Fi did they're own plus the Children of Dune sequel. Why another one?

Director Peter Berg Confirmed for Dune
Source: MTV
December 21, 2007

Director Peter Berg has confirmed to MTV the rumor that he will direct a new adaptation of the Frank Herbert classic, "Dune."

He says that if it wasn't for the writers strike, that's what he would be working on now. While there is no script yet, Berg added that David Lynch's previous movie "left the door wide open for a remake."

domina
25-12-07, 16:59
My first reaction when I saw the title alone was "Another one?" - I really don't think they need another version of the same story.

MiCkiZ88
25-12-07, 17:04
I'm not sure which version I watched of it.. but.. erm.. I fell asleep few times ('twas during the film marathon) :o. So I'm not really excited tbh.

Ampersand
25-12-07, 17:16
Interesting, but I too don't really see the need for another version of Dune.

Mr.Burns
25-12-07, 17:43
I'm not sure which version I watched of it.. but.. erm.. I fell asleep few times ('twas during the film marathon) :o. So I'm not really excited tbh.

It was probably the 1984 version. It can be a bit...um...slow going at times.

deepbluesea
25-12-07, 18:00
Oh wow. I can't wait for this. The last one was brilliant and book is amazing, not to mention the music

TombRaiderLover
25-12-07, 18:19
Never saw the 1984 film, but David Lynch is a wonderful director (Blue Velvet, anyone?) ;)

Mr.Burns
25-12-07, 18:33
@dale: No. I saw Muholland Drive...*shudders*

TombRaiderLover
25-12-07, 18:35
@dale: No. I saw Muholland Drive...*shudders*

Can't say I've ever see that (though heard strange things about it, and I believe I saw a clip on a FilmFour preview), but Blue Velvet is a truly fantastic film. ;)

Other films of Lynch's that I've seen are: Eraserhead (like an acid trip) and The Elephant Man (another great film.)

Vertigo
25-12-07, 18:36
Mtv???????!!!!! Jesus. 'Perfect company'. Shot Crossroads and Aeon Flux! So Dune will be the masterpiece with coca-cola and macdonald`s aids!

ben croft
25-12-07, 18:39
Sorry to be offtopic, but for some reason, the first time I saw this thread, I read "Frank Herbert's Dune Fortune" :D

And Mr.Burns i love your avatar.

:wve:

Mr.Burns
25-12-07, 18:47
@Dale: To be honest, I just don't really give a hoot about David Lynch. He's too eccentric for my liking.

@Vertigo: I hadn't noticed. This doesn't bode well for the movie.

@Ben: Thanks :wve:

TombRaiderLover
25-12-07, 18:52
@Dale: To be honest, I just don't really give a hoot about David Lynch. He's too eccentric for my liking.

Suit yourself. :p But I still think he's made one of the greatest films ever.

Necromanser
26-12-07, 00:52
My first words:

Another one?

I think 2 adaptations is enough.

Paperdoll
26-12-07, 11:52
Suit yourself. :p But I still think he's made one of the greatest films ever.

Mr. Lynch can be an acquired taste... Personally I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch Blue Velvet. It almost made me fall asleep and hey, I'm the girl here that likes weird and slow movies. It just felt fairly uninteresting and only Hopper's character made it worthwhile for me. The other characters like Laura Dern's and Kyle MacLachlan's were just boring and felt horribly bland.

And Isabella Rossellini's singing... *shivers*

But then again I am willing to give it a second viewing, which sometimes opens new perspectives. However the first impression it left on me was definitely not good. I'm not one to adore and follow a cult director just to call myself a movie buff and yadda yadda yadda.

Now Wild At Heart... that movie I love. Probably the only Lynch movie I truly adore. The overall over the top weirdness of the characters just fits me like a glove :D

Sorry for going off-topic but I just had to XD

TombRaiderLover
26-12-07, 18:12
Mr. Lynch can be an acquired taste... Personally I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch Blue Velvet. It almost made me fall asleep and hey, I'm the girl here that likes weird and slow movies. It just felt fairly uninteresting and only Hopper's character made it worthwhile for me. The other characters like Laura Dern's and Kyle MacLachlan's were just boring and felt horribly bland.

And Isabella Rossellini's singing... *shivers*

But then again I am willing to give it a second viewing, which sometimes opens new perspectives. However the first impression it left on me was definitely not good. I'm not one to adore and follow a cult director just to call myself a movie buff and yadda yadda yadda.
Wow, I personally thought it felt fairly well-paced rather than slow. The odd, mysterical plot definitely kept me watching. Though Hopper is often crediting as stealing the scene with his wild portrayl of psychopath Frank Booth, I felt that the other actors were also great in their roles, and the characters themselves felt perfectly fine and convincing enough. I was also appreciative of the sybolism throughout the film. For example, the claustrophic shot of the bugs in the grass at the beginning of the film represents the theme of a sinister underworld behind a bright suburban town. Oh, and I didn't remind Rossellini's singing. :p