PDA

View Full Version : What are all these files?

Chocolate
02-01-08, 12:19
Hey there guys, I need a bit of your help.

My brother's computer is running strangely slow and everything keeps on crashing frequently - but we're pretty suure we've done nothing to change his computer.

However, on his C drive we noticed that there are some odd EXE files located on his computer. We're about to get him a new computer anyway; so it's not a big deal. But we're curious to know what all these EXE files are on his HD for. We tried to search on Google for any information on these files, but we get no result.

Here are some of the file names:

winadht.exe
winawhh.exe
wincicn.exe
windfhp.exe
winhhi.exe

etc...

The list goes on forever. It's a whole line of files called "win[insert random letters here].exe". They are all located on the C drive [just the root directory c:\] and we've never noticed them there before.

I just want to know what these files are used for. As I said, we don't really need solutions because we're expecting a new computer to be delivered. Just answers.

Thanks, and a Happy 2008 to all of you.

Fish.
02-01-08, 12:20
Those are probably essential processes, I wouldn't kill them. Just to be sure, go to http://processlibrary.com next time you're not sure. ;)

Chocolate
02-01-08, 12:22
Thanks, but I don't come up with any results when I type the filenames on Process Library.
Even Google doesn't have the slightest bit of information about these files!

Oh well...

maximum_123
02-01-08, 12:25
Only one out of there that I recognize is winadht.exe... I wouldn't see there being a risk in killing them since they're not normally meant to be there.

Bokkie
02-01-08, 17:37
Kill them all, the files are probably spyware apps.

Drone
02-01-08, 19:06
I don't come up with any results when I type the filenames on Process Library.
Even Google doesn't have the slightest bit of information about these files!

Of course Chocolate. Those files were generated automatically by some spyware which gives random letters to it's files winblahblahblah.exe fisrt get rid of those files then run your antivirus

EscondeR
03-01-08, 21:02
I suggest the following:

1. Boot in Safe Mode (F8 at boot then choose from menu).

2. Delete them all manually.

3. Run antivirus scan.

4. Then reboot in Normal mode and run ARDiag.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/ardiag.exe) and post the report to see if something malicious remains.