PDA

View Full Version : Any Stephen King fans?

Pages : [1] 2

touchthesky
14-01-08, 19:43
I am quite a big fan of his works.
Currently reading Insomnia for the second time..and just finished Pet Sematary properly for the first time.
The book of his I've read most often is IT..I never get over how different the movie is.
The next book I plan to read is Dreamcatcher, and buy is Cujo..

:)!

Beanz
14-01-08, 19:45
Yeah I've read several like Carrie, The Shining, Salem's lot.
He's a great writer :D.

TombRaiderLover
14-01-08, 19:45
I have around thirty of his books in my room, so I guess you could call me a fan. ;)

touchthesky
14-01-08, 19:46
I have around thirty of his books in my room, so I guess you could call me a fan. ;)
Haha, I just made a list of the books I own in another forum, but it's not as many as 30!

Insomnia
Pet Sematary
Geralds Game
The Stand
Dreamcatcher
IT
The Shining
Misery
The Green Mile
The Stand
Wolves of The Calla.
Salems Lot

Carbonek_0051
14-01-08, 19:47
I love Stephen King!

My mom owns tons of his books....

ThomasCroft
Hello there! :wve:

My favourite King novel HAS to be "The Stand" ... it was just so epic and believable, and had me in tears a couple of times.

Another great one is "Misery"; the tension King builds is masterfully done and he maintains the suspense throughout.

Hmmm what else ... "IT" was also brilliant. The concept was excellently handled without being too self-indulgent. The description was incredibly vivid too.

And "Carrie" was good as well. It was his first book, yet it was still a fantastic novel; one you wouldn't expect from a first timer. Very emotive towards the end, too.

Bumio
im a fan :wve: i've read "It" (for 3 times) , "Christine", "Shining" , "the green mile", " Carrie" and im looking forward tor read "Misery" :)

dinahcat
14-01-08, 19:48
They actually offered a class on his literature when I was in College. It was a graduate level class looking at the sociology of people through his characters it absolutely ROCKED!!!! I was so darn lucky! It it looks really cool to have an "A" on my college transcript for a "Stephen King" class!!!

ThomasCroft
14-01-08, 19:50
They actually offered a class on his literature when I was in College. It was a graduate level class looking at the sociology of people through his characters it absolutely ROCKED!!!! I was so darn lucky! It it looks really cool to have an "A" on my college transcript for a "Stephen King" class!!!

I hate you. :pi:

(:D :hug:)

lararoxs
14-01-08, 19:52
I love Stephen King!

My mom owns tons of his books....

Ditto!:D

touchthesky
Oh you lucky thing!
I love discovering all the links he makes in the books..for example a reference to The Shining in Pet Sematary, and Mike Hanlon from IT mentioned in Insomnia.

Theyre apparently thinking of putting Insomnia out onto the big screen..they're gonna have to do that very carefully.
For anyone whos read it, you'll understand what a difficult novel it is.

jackles
My fav is The Stand. Though oddly enough I always used to get a really bad cold whilst reading it. I began to wonder if the pages were impregnated with flu virus!!!

It! is good. Some great imagery in that one. the Bachman books are interesting. I have virtually all of Kings novels, but I like the earlier stuff best. An interesting read is Danse Macabre a non fiction discussion of the genre.

ThomasCroft
14-01-08, 19:54
My fav is The Stand. Though oddly enough I always used to get a really bad cold whilst reading it. I began to wonder if the pages were impregnated with flu virus!!!

I thought I was the only one. :yik:

And I'm not kidding.

Kamrusepas
14-01-08, 19:55
Yes, I've read pretty much all of his books. I'm currently reading Cell, and my favorite of his works is Needful Things.

TombRaiderLover
14-01-08, 19:56
Haha, I just made a list of the books I own in another forum, but it's not as many as 30!

Insomnia
Pet Sematary
Geralds Game
The Stand
Dreamcatcher
IT
Christine
The Shining
Misery
The Green Mile
The Stand
Wolves of The Calla.
Salems Lot

These are off the top of my head, but I may miss some:

Carrie
Salem's Lot
The Shining
Pet Sematary
The Stand: Complete and Uncut Edition
Misery
IT
The Bachman Books
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Dreamcather
Insomnia
Cell
Wolves of the Calla
Different Seasons
Skeleton Crew (twice)
Cujo
Bag of Bones
Needful Things
From a Buick 8 (twice)
The Dark Half

I swear I had more. :confused:

My dad has some too. ;)

touchthesky
14-01-08, 19:57
Have you read Cujo? I'm umming and ahhing about buying a copy on Ebay.

TombRaiderLover
14-01-08, 19:59
Have you read Cujo? I'm umming and ahhing about buying a copy on Ebay.

That's a great book. ;) Very tense and entertaining.

dinahcat
14-01-08, 20:00
Oh you lucky thing!
I love discovering all the links he makes in the books..for example a reference to The Shining in Pet Sematary, and Mike Hanlon from IT mentioned in Insomnia.

Have you read "Hearts in Atlantis" and the last few books of the "Dark TOwer" series? The characters from all of his books start making cameo appearaces...

touchthesky
14-01-08, 20:03
I haven't..I keep seeing Hearts in Atlantis in the charity shop though (I'll be the first to admit its where I buy most of my books nowadays, theyre in new condition and about 6 cheaper, so yeah) so maybe I'll pick it up.

The Dark Tower series' books never really appealed to me, though. I had one..are they worth picking up?

I think I'm picking up Cujo on Saturday. :) I saw it last week for 1.50 but decided not to get it in the end.

Survival
14-01-08, 20:04
Here! Here! :wve:

Im his fan number one if you know what I mean ;-)

TombRaiderLover
14-01-08, 20:04
I'd love to read the Dark Tower books, but I'm sure they're very complex, so I'd rather read from the start. ;) Unfortunately, I only have the fifth installment.

touchthesky
14-01-08, 20:15
Theyre really thick books, too.
I can't imagine it would take a small ammount of time to read them, lol.

I'm having myself a King marathon, sorta..just without the time and the racing.
Im taking my time.

la-la-lara
14-01-08, 20:24
He's a personal favourite.

I liked The Shining, The Mist, 1408 ( I've seen the films too, but they were a crock of ****...:o ), Misery, Insomnia. Bag of Bones so and so...

I haven't read The IT yet, it just doesn't attract me.
For those who have read it, was it good? Would you recommend it?

Survival
14-01-08, 20:26
I haven't read The IT yet, it just doesn't attract me.
For those who have read it, was it good? Would you recommend it?

Its AMAZING! Highly recommended! :)

And who could forget Chinga? X Files episode written by master himself! :)

TombRaiderLover
14-01-08, 20:29
IT is one of King's best. ;) True King, with a gripping supernatural storyline with plenty of graphic horror inbetween. :p

Angelus
14-01-08, 20:31
I'd love to read the Dark Tower books, but I'm sure *their very complex, so I'd rather read from the start. ;) Unfortunately, I only have the fifth installment.

*They're. Sorry, but things like that pick at me. :o

I haven't read any of his books, but I've seen The Shining, Carrie and Misery. :)

touchthesky
14-01-08, 20:32
Oh I'd definately read IT! One of his best.

Darker, meaner, gorier and more fun-filled (in Kings way of course) than any other book! And also a lot better than the movie.

Although Jonathan Brandis (RIP you poor thing) kinda makes up for that.

TombRaiderLover
14-01-08, 20:33
*They're. Sorry, but things like that pick at me. :o

I haven't read any of his books, but I've seen The Shining, Carrie and Misery. :)

Oh my God, it's not like me to make mistakes like that. :eek: No, seriously. :p

I've seen all three of those films. Infact, I have them on DVD. ;)

touchthesky
14-01-08, 20:37
We own the TV version of the shining as well as the movie.

I've yet to see the TV one though.

Any idea if its decent?

TombRaiderLover
14-01-08, 20:38
We own the TV version of the shining as well as the movie.

I've yet to see the TV one though.

Any idea if its decent?

Unfortunately, I've yet to see the 1997 miniseries, which is apparently much more faithful to the original novel (and as a result around four hours long.) However, as far as I'm aware, the critical reviews were fairly negative, so if you do decide to view it, do so with low standards. ;)

Angelus
14-01-08, 20:39
Oh my God, it's not like me to make mistakes like that. :eek: No, seriously. :p

I've seen all three of those films. Infact, I have them on DVD. ;)

Great, aren't they? :D

I'll have to look into the books after I've bought Anniversary for the 360.

la-la-lara
14-01-08, 20:39
Did you like any filmic transcription ( :confused: ) of any of his works?

touchthesky
14-01-08, 20:40
Haha, it is the length that's putting me off, actually.

One day, maybe.

I've watched Pet Sematary lots over the past few days.

I have few problems with it I just wish that the scene with Gage and Louis in the cemetary was a bit more like the book, and that Church looked like Church,
He has a bib in the books, and wheres his damn bib in the movie? lol.

TombRaiderLover
14-01-08, 20:43
Great, aren't they? :D

I'll have to look into the books after I've bought Anniversary for the 360.
Lol. :p

Yes, they are great. I've got several other King adaptations on VHS too.

Did you like any filmic transcription ( :confused: ) of any of his works?
Yes, I like many. :) I think Misery and Carrie would be my favourite. Then again, Stand By Me was great too.

Haha, it is the length that's putting me off, actually.

One day, maybe.

I've watched Pet Sematary lots over the past few days.

I have few problems with it I just wish that the scene with Gage and Louis in the cemetary was a bit more like the book, and that Church looked like Church,
He has a bib in the books, and wheres his damn bib in the movie? lol.
Lol, nit-picky much? :p

That film used to creep me out. The scene in the bedroom with the sister. *cringes* Haven't watched it in years.

Noodleboy
14-01-08, 20:44
I haven't read many of his books cause you can't find them anywhere over here. I've read Misery, The Shining, Needfull things and Cjristine so far. I also have a book with a couple of short stories, including 1408.
I also enjoy watching the movies. I have Carrie, Cujo, IT on DVD, and I have seen many more by renting them.

My favorite book so far is Misery and my favorite movie is Carrie.

Drone
14-01-08, 20:48
I'm reading his books time after time they are fairly good :)

touchthesky
14-01-08, 20:52
Lol. :p

Yes, they are great. I've got several other King adaptations on VHS too.

Yes, I like many. :) I think Misery and Carrie would be my favourite. Then again, Stand By Me was great too.

Lol, nit-picky much? :p

That film used to creep me out. The scene in the bedroom with the sister. *cringes* Haven't watched it in years.

Oh I know it's stupid lol! But the cat is one of my favourite members of the book (not sure if he;s really a character as such, hence the "member" thing ) and his lack of bib-ness bothers me xD.

I wonder why they didnt include the leper in IT, either.

I'll never forget what the hobo leper shouted at Eddie in the book..ew.

Bumio
14-01-08, 20:53
and my favorite movie is Carrie.
same here :) one of my fav movies based by King :)

Cord_Croft
14-01-08, 21:04
I read a few chapters of Cell, which bored me. I've watched IT and Dreamcatcher (i think thats it) and loved 'um :)

TombRaiderLover
14-01-08, 21:10
I read a few chapters of Cell, which bored me. I've watched IT and Dreamcatcher (i think thats it) and loved 'um :)

To be honest, I got half-way through Cell but never finished it for some reason. I remember enjoying it very much though, despite a rather slow start. Fortunately, it's typical King material. :)

Voni
14-01-08, 21:24
I love Stephen King! He's brilliant. I've just finished watching Kingdom Hospital, loved it.

Roddy100
14-01-08, 21:56
I probably have over twenty of his books so I guess I am a fan.

A few months ago I finished reading Bag of Bones for the first time and I loved it! Gave me chills! It's probably my favourite of his books now. I also LOVE Needful Things and Rose Madder. He is an extremely talented (and underrated) writer for sure :)

silver_wolf
14-01-08, 22:00
Right here! One of the best authors ever, I've read tons of his books.

star-dust
15-01-08, 07:27
I've read a few of his books.

Carrie was my first book I read by Stephen King. I was amazed by the fact that he had originally started writitng it and thrown whole idea out but his wife persuaded him to continue with it. (Something like that.)

He's a brilliant writer.

I've read Pet Semetary... That book had my stomach in knots.

I can't think of any others at the moment. :p

But next I think I want to read Cujo. :)

touchthesky
15-01-08, 07:57
They have a three book boxset in Tesco, which is 5.
It contains Carrie, Misery and Pet Sematary
I have the last two, but really want the first one..thing is I don't want extras but Carrie on it's own is more expensive than 5..

Do I just buy it :/?

Angelus
15-01-08, 09:26
I have the last two, but really want the first one..thing is I don't want extras but Carrie on it's own is more expensive than 5..

Click me for cheap Carrie goodness (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0450025179/sr=8-2/qid=1200389136/ref=olp_tab_new?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=1200389136&sr=8-2&seller=&colid=&condition=new)

:)

Voni
15-01-08, 09:33

You could always buy it and stick the other 2 on Ebay?

touchthesky
15-01-08, 09:41
Thanks, Angelus, my boyfriends a bit weird about Marketplace though so I might have a hard time convincing him :(.

And, we thought about putting them on Ebay, but then, I probably wouldn't gain anything, with the charge and all tat Ebay puts out.

Angelus
15-01-08, 09:46
Thanks, Angelus, my boyfriends a bit weird about Marketplace though so I might have a hard time convincing him :(.

[...]

It's the same as buying from Amazon themselves. I bought a Buffy book for 50p from Marketplace and it arrived the next day. :)

BoyTRaider
15-01-08, 09:52
One of the best writers in my opnion! I love the intense focus that he puts on suspence on most of his books.

Obscure
15-01-08, 09:58
I've read Carrie, Cujo, Misery, Pet Semetary, Christine and some more.

At the moment I'm reading Cell by Stephen King but I say it's his worst one so far.

touchthesky
15-01-08, 10:05
It's the same as buying from Amazon themselves. I bought a Buffy book for 50p from Marketplace and it arrived the next day. :)

I think it's because we had a bit of a problem with a Watership Down boxset from there a while ago.
Aha, I used to have a TON of Buffy books.
Had between 2 and 4 sent every 2 weeks for almost 2 years, I think it was.

What is Cell about?

Angelus
15-01-08, 10:21
I think it's because we had a bit of a problem with a Watership Down boxset from there a while ago.

What is Cell about?

It all depends on the seller. Look at the seller feedback before buying and you shouldn't have a problem. :)

I've currently got around 25-30 Buffy books, and I've read around 20 of them.

And I haven't got a clue what Cell is about. :p

Obscure
15-01-08, 11:02

What is Cell about?

It all depends on the seller. Look at the seller feedback before buying and you shouldn't have a problem. :)

I've currently got around 25-30 Buffy books, and I've read around 20 of them.

And I haven't got a clue what Cell is about. :p

Argh. It's very un-stephen king. When your reading it, it just feels like some cheap hollywood film.

It's about a man who hates cellphones and one day the whole world strangely goes psycho and everyone who picks up their cellphone goes crazy and starts killing people. It's a bit like a zombie book but without zombies and very strange characters who you don't feel related too at all.

I'll read the blurb to you two to make more sense of it.

"The event became known as The Pulse. The virus was carried by every cellular phone operating in the world. Within hours, those recieving calls would become insane - or die.

In Boston, a young artist, Clayton Riddell, flees the explosive heart of the City. He makes the connection between those using their cell phones and the mayhem that ensues. Clay's son has a little red cell phone. Often out of juice. But what if this time the battery is full? Clay has to reach his son, before his son reaches for the phone..."

Sounds interesting but I was really shocked at how Stephen King has wrote such an unfamiliar book compared to his classics. Maybe it's just me though. Maybe I should just accept that Stephen Kings classics have drowned out.

At least he kept his random descriptions in though, listen to this. It's utter random.

"He was naked except for a pair of of what looked like brand new Nikes with bright red swooshes. His cock swung from side to side like the pendulum of a grandfather clock on speed.

Then it goes on to explain how the naked mans butt muscles start clenching and unclenching...

Random or what?

Shark_Blade
16-01-08, 07:12
^wow that is random :pi: I'll never see my grandfather clock the same way again.

I'm new to the Stephen King books, but I've seen interesting titles such as Pet Sematary, IT and Salem's Lot. I'm planning to grab em all today.:). I had doubts about Salem's Lot as I am not afraid of vampires I found them rather tacky. Was it really scary like the press said it was?

Elysia
16-01-08, 07:34
I went through a bit of a Stephen King 'phase' in my teens and read loads - the only one I've read since then that really grabbed my attention was Insomnia, though (made me cry...). My favourite is Skeleton Crew - the problem I find with SK is that he cannot write a decent ending for toffee, and at least with short stories, he has to come up with a concise, satisfying twist rather than dragging it over over 10 chapters (only for it to end up being a big spider. :rolleyes:. Yes, IT, I'm looking at you...)

Personally, I prefer HP Lovecraft when it comes to horror - hidden mysteries of time and space + everyone goes insane = win... :D

Ised to like James Herbert, too - some of his books are a bit trashy, though (some, however, like 'Portal' are just unsung masterpieces... that and his book 'Domain' is the only horror book I couldn't finish (I was about 17 and it really freaked me out... :o)

However, one of the BEST 'horror-ish' books out there (apart from good old Lovecraft - I'm probably the only teacher in the world that teaches his stiff to 13 year olds! :p) has to be Clive Barker's 'Weaveworld'. I just absolutely love that book.. probably one of the most influential books upon my own writing style. Soooo much better than anything Stephen King as produced... ;)

touchthesky
28-03-08, 19:20
I just finished Carrie and I think it's up there in my top 5 favourite King books.

I really enjoyed that....Wow.

It was odd..because whilst it was obviously a King novel..it's so different from the other books he's written.

Loved it.

Draco
28-03-08, 19:26
Yep, nother reader here.

TombRaiderLover
28-03-08, 19:27
I just finished Carrie and I think it's up there in my top 5 favourite King books.

I really enjoyed that....Wow.

It was odd..because whilst it was obviously a King novel..it's so different from the other books he's written.

Loved it.

Great novel. I also really enjoyed the 1976 film. Ever seen it? :)

~*~Chloe~*~
28-03-08, 20:28
I like the film It. Well scary.

touchthesky
28-03-08, 20:37
If you get the chance to read IT I would advise it. It is so different from the movie..they missed out the best parts of the book (which was understandable due to the fact it was a TV movie and they have to be as non-18 as possible.)

I was annoyed the bird wasn't in the movie.

TombRaiderLover
28-03-08, 20:39
If you get the chance to read IT I would advise it. It is so different from the movie..they missed out the best parts of the book (which was understandable due to the fact it was a TV movie and they have to be as non-18 as possible.)

I was annoyed the bird wasn't in the movie.

The one that chases the kid across the field? Sorry, haven't read the book in ages, so I must be way off. :p

Wrebbit
28-03-08, 20:39
I absolutely loved IT and The Stand. They're some of the best books I read.

I also have other books of Stephen King but I don't know the English titles:p

touchthesky
28-03-08, 20:45
The one that chases the kid across the field? Sorry, haven't read the book in ages, so I must be way off. :p
Aye! Stan, I think.

I don't think a book has scared me since IT.

King just knows no boundaries.

TombRaiderLover
28-03-08, 20:46
Aye! Stan, I think.

I don't think a book has scared me since IT.

King just knows no boundaries.

I almost remember the book being very gruesome.

Meh, the film was tame in comparison.

Obscure
28-03-08, 20:47
Stephen King was good in his classic days but lately, his newer works aren't as good as his older ones in my opinion.

TombRaiderLover
28-03-08, 20:48
Stephen King was good in his classic days but lately, his newer works aren't as good as his older ones in my opinion.

Yeah, his newer books are less horror, more thriller/drama, and it just doesn't bond well. They're not as gripping.

touchthesky
28-03-08, 20:48
I almost remember the book being very gruesome.

Meh, the film was tame in comparison.
Aye, stupid TV movies x(. Hopefully they do a theatrical adaptation at some point.

I recently read Cell and enjoyed it...the ending was pretty sucky though.

Not read anything else recent.

TombRaiderLover
28-03-08, 20:49
Aye, stupid TV movies x(. Hopefully they do a theatrical adaptation at some point.

Ever seen Salem's Lot? A King TV movie, but a great one. Came out in '79, I believe. Second novel, second film.

~*~Chloe~*~
28-03-08, 20:52
I cant remember much of the plot for It.

But why did he like to kill kids?

Tombreaper
28-03-08, 20:52
Oh yeah, I'm a big fan!

touchthesky
28-03-08, 20:53
I havent. I started reading the book at the time I got Carrie and..I was too itching to start Carrie to continue.

Some TV movies are decent but for books like IT...I don't think TV could cut it.

And Chloe...it's because kids believe :).

Sweets
28-03-08, 21:51
Rose Madder and Bag of Bones are my favs that I've read so far. My mom is also a big fan and has read several of his books.

Obscure
28-03-08, 22:45
Cujo is my favourite one and Misery is a close first.

Mhalle
28-03-08, 22:55
I'm a big fan of Stephen King. At least his movies. I've just seen "The Mist" and it was one of the best movies I've ever seen. :)

Encore
29-03-08, 00:46
The only book by Stephen King I ever read was Gerald's Game, I bought it 'cause the concept seemed so terrifying I couldn't resist. It's one of the scariest books I ever read!

Other than that, nothing. I watched plenty of movies based on his work though. Favorite is The Shining, though aparently he didn't like Kubrick's adaptation (I think it's one of the best movies ever made).
I also thought 1408 was excellent, partly because John Cusack made it so. :D

oocladableeblah
29-03-08, 00:53
I just turned into a fan. I've read The girls who loves Tom Gordon and I am currently reading IT. Gonna read Christine after IT.

digitizedboy
29-03-08, 00:58
I have only ever seen movie adaptations of his work unfortunately.

As horror novels go though, I like Clive Barker.

knightgames
29-03-08, 03:37
I'd recommend "The Talisman."

He wrote it with Richard Straub. It was another rather large book by King. I read it right after 'The Stand.'

It's horror. It's Sci-Fi. It's King.

Much of what I like about King's writing lays in his ability to capture the personality of the locale he's writing about. He does this masterfully in the book "It." My favorite section was when they rebuilt the bicycle as adults and rode it that afternoon. Stephen's ability to recapture the wonderlust of childhood in the one sequence really endears me to his novels. It would be like me stepping back to 1972. Who wouldn't want to revisit a time in your youth? Stephen does that throughout the novel, "It."

touchthesky
29-03-08, 10:12
The only book by Stephen King I ever read was Gerald's Game, I bought it 'cause the concept seemed so terrifying I couldn't resist. It's one of the scariest books I ever read!

Other than that, nothing. I watched plenty of movies based on his work though. Favorite is The Shining, though aparently he didn't like Kubrick's adaptation (I think it's one of the best movies ever made).
I also thought 1408 was excellent, partly because John Cusack made it so. :D

I got through that book for the first time the other week.

It is pretty scary!!

Lara.Jolie7
29-03-08, 10:31
i like his work, ppl say he write about things he have afraid, ius that true?

I like the movies basead in his books

rowanlim
29-03-08, 10:51
I've never read his books, was planning to start with Misery. I've seen movie adaptations & they creep the :cen: out of me :tmb: :D

Voni
29-03-08, 11:55
I love Stephen King, me. I've read nearly all of his books, I've just recently finished Cujo, which was excellent. I was so jealous of my dad, he recently went to Colarado and visited the hotel the miniseries of The Shining was filmed at. He did bring me back a bookmark from it, though! :D

TheStoryteller
29-03-08, 13:30
I sincerely hate his true horror stuff. All that horror starting in a small town....bored me to death.

on the other hand some of his non-horror stories are nothing less than masterpieces. I was very reluctant reading the green p.e. mile but after that I *forced* all my friends to read it too.

touchthesky
01-04-08, 19:54
Has anyone read Rose Madder? I am about 50 pages in and it's pretty much grabbed me already.

:).

I just wanna know if the rest is as good as the first bit has been?

Anubis_AF
01-04-08, 20:21
Stephen King iz da man :D
Seriously, I love all his novels.

thiagosmr
01-04-08, 21:10
Yes..He's a great writer!

RAID
01-04-08, 21:28
I've seen IT the movie when I was a kid. It was pretty lame and badly acted out, but I still like it. Probably because it scared the crap out of me, back in the days.

silver_wolf
01-04-08, 21:54
IT sucks. The Shining, Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption (oh and Misery) are some of the best movie adaptations. I just watched The Mist and loved it, I thought it was very true to the story. I hated the ending though.

Indiana Croft
02-04-08, 00:28
I wouldn't call myself a fan, but the movies based on his books are usually quite good. I recently watched the mist, and I enjoyed it alot. But 1408 was a total bust.

silver_wolf
02-04-08, 00:31
yeah, not scary at all. I haven't read the story. But the Mist was great.

touchthesky
02-04-08, 12:37
IT sucks. The Shining, Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption (oh and Misery) are some of the best movie adaptations. I just watched The Mist and loved it, I thought it was very true to the story. I hated the ending though.

You're talking about the film IT aren't you? Because the book is a lot different.

Wrebbit
02-04-08, 18:47
I started reading Rose Madder this afternoon. Just finished the first 100 pages and I must say it's an interesting book so far.

touchthesky
02-04-08, 19:16
I started reading Rose Madder this afternoon. Just finished the first 100 pages and I must say it's an interesting book so far.

!!!
I am currently 133 pages in and I can barely put it down haha. It's a long book but I think I'll have it done by Friday.

The second page was pretty hard to read though...

silver_wolf
02-04-08, 21:25
You're talking about the film IT aren't you? Because the book is a lot different.
yeah, the movie. I haven't read the book, but I don't need King's help to be freaked out by clowns.

Inkheart
02-04-08, 21:37
I've only got hold of Cell, and I wasn't too impressed with it, to be honest. Couldn't get into it. I may have to try again. Or lots of people have recommended IT. Maybe I'll give that a go.

On a different, but related topic - currently reading The Ghosts of Sleath - James Herbert. Marvellous!

silver_wolf
02-04-08, 21:51
cell is ok, not the best. You should read one of his short story compilations if you can find them.

Shark_Blade
03-04-08, 01:11
I'm reading Pet Sematary.

Why is the start is so boring...where is the chilling and thrill part? I can't wait. :hea:
I love the introduction by the writer though.

silver_wolf
03-04-08, 01:17
His introductions are always good :D

Catlantean
03-04-08, 01:30
I watched "The Mist" a few days ago and it's one of the rare cases of a movie being better than the original story. The ending was especially awesome, as it became obvious they weren't getting away I thought of a particularly cruel and morbid way to end it - but how it really ended was even sicker :tmb:(and King himself thought it was a great ending, too)

knightgames
03-04-08, 02:38
I'm reading Pet Sematary.

Why is the start is so boring...where is the chilling and thrill part? I can't wait. :hea:
I love the introduction by the writer though.

Patience Young Padwan.
It's the slow indeterminable beginning that makes for a great rollercoaster of an ending. King needs to build the characters up so he can let the story flow when it's time.

I'm tellin ya folks. If you've read The Shining and The Stand I really think you'll enjoy The Talisman. I even think the antagonist was written with Jack Nickleson in mind. Give it a whirl if you can find it.

Shark_Blade
03-04-08, 04:38
His introductions are always good :D
True. I always find it insightful as to what inspired King to write.
:D
Patience Young Padwan.
It's the slow indeterminable beginning that makes for a great rollercoaster of an ending. King needs to build the characters up so he can let the story flow when it's time.
I so far only watched IT on the movie and it used to scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. The sequeal is a big let down however.Anyway, it didn't make me have phobias with clowns thankfully(Imagine me screaming like I have seen ghost everytime I went to McDonalds lol)

Pet Sematary is my first Stephen King book, I heard good things about the writer so thats why I'm starting reading his work.

knightgames
03-04-08, 05:16
True. I always find it insightful as to what inspired King to write.
:D
I so far only watched IT on the movie and it used to scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. The sequeal is a big let down however.Anyway, it didn't make me have phobias with clowns thankfully(Imagine me screaming like I have seen ghost everytime I went to McDonalds lol)

Pet Sematary is my first Stephen King book, I heard good things about the writer so thats why I'm starting reading his work.

Enjoy Pet Semetary. I remember reading the sequence when they finally go to the Pet Semetary on that important night. It was Halloween as I was reading and the atmosphere Stephen King built up along that journey had my skin a crawling. I still remember looking up from my book making sure the wind outside my bedroom was JUST the wind.

As far as IT. I had visions of John Wayne Gacy when I read about Pennywise. He was a serial killer who murdered 33 kids and buried them in his cellar during the late 70's. He used to dress as a clown for various charities.

I really enjoy how Stephen manages to make a fine tapestry of the ordinary surroundings in his stories. They may seem boring to some, but for me it adds to the horror when something so horrid happens in such 'sleepy' places.

Survival
03-04-08, 05:53
Pet Sematary is my second favourite Stephen King book :).

Anyway I bought both versions of Salems Lot today. Cant wait to see them again. Im in the IT-reading mood right now so I might pick ut that one again... the first half is so nostalgic (A lot of things are like from my childhood) and the second is rough and hard return to disturbing reality.

CerebralAssassin
03-04-08, 17:20
haven't read many king novels,but I've read enough to become a fan (Misery,Cell,hearts in atlantis):p

Yes, I've read pretty much all of his books. I'm currently reading Cell, and my favorite of his works is Needful Things.

the guy in the harvard shirt!!he creeps me out :cln:

you'll like the book,I didn't like the ending though:(

Devilian
03-04-08, 17:26
I love Misery and Green Mile :D

touchthesky
03-04-08, 18:05
I've only got hold of Cell, and I wasn't too impressed with it, to be honest. Couldn't get into it. I may have to try again. Or lots of people have recommended IT. Maybe I'll give that a go.

On a different, but related topic - currently reading The Ghosts of Sleath - James Herbert. Marvellous!

Cell is so different from his other works I think it's definately worth reading one of his older books. You won;t believe it's the same writer.

Wrebbit
03-04-08, 18:27
!!!
I am currently 133 pages in and I can barely put it down haha. It's a long book but I think I'll have it done by Friday.

The second page was pretty hard to read though...

I'm now read about Rosie's adventure in the painting. That was such a cool part, I couldn't stop reading. Soo far I like this book more than Salem's Lot (it's funny to use these titles because in Dutch some are totally different:D)

touchthesky
03-04-08, 18:44
I don't think I'm that far yet, Normans quite close, she's just discovered the crickets and the flowers in the painting, and she's loving Bill aha :P.

I am really enjoying it too!

Wrebbit
03-04-08, 18:53
I don't think I'm that far yet, Normans quite close, she's just discovered the crickets and the flowers in the painting, and she's loving Bill aha :P.

I am really enjoying it too!

Ooh keep reading, there's a cool/scary/exciting part ahead of you.:)

touchthesky
03-04-08, 20:03
I'm excited now :)!

I can't wait to finish it. It's taking me a lot less time than I thought because it's just grabbed me by the hair and pulled me straight in.

I'm gonna read Hearts In Atlantis next.

knightgames
04-04-08, 04:35
Anyone read Dance Macabre? LOL

I read the Dark Tower series with mixed reviews. Sometimes I felt extremely bored with it. Other times I thought he was writing some of his best stuff. The last book in the series is a beautiful homage to his fans through the years. Loved the last book.

That's another thing I like about him. He seems to really appreciate his fans. You can usually find some sort of wink to his long time readers like in Gerald's Game. He ties a portion of Delores Claiburn into the narrative. Unless you read the latter book you'd not really know what he was talking about and the parenthetical scene would be somewhat jarring. To a fan it's an acknolegement by King to the 'dear reader.'

With the TV series the Dead Zone being rather recent, I'm surprised no ones mention the book of the same name. (I might have missed a mentioning though)

TombRaiderLover
04-04-08, 11:49
Anyone read Dance Macabre? LOL

With the TV series the Dead Zone being rather recent, I'm surprised no ones mention the book of the same name. (I might have missed a mentioning though)
Yes, I've read Dance Macabre. Very interesting book. ;)

I own The Dead Zone, but have yet to read it.

Wrebbit
04-04-08, 19:13
I just have to show the cover of the Dutch version of The Stand. I really really love this cover (like I love the book) and I want to show you guys :cln: (sorry I can't find a bigger picture)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n11/steeldragon2000/9789024550456.jpg

TombRaiderLover
04-04-08, 19:15
I just have to show the cover of the Dutch version of The Stand. I really really love this cover (like I love the book) and I want to show you guys :cln: (sorry I can't find a bigger picture)

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n11/steeldragon2000/9789024550456.jpg

My cover is similar, except the font is different, and it's English. :p

I believe the subtitle at the bottom is, "The classic masterpiece."

Wrebbit
04-04-08, 19:17
My cover is similar, except the font is different, and it's English. :p

I believe the subtitle at the bottom is, "The classic masterpiece."

The subtitle says Welkom bij het einde der tijden... (Welcome to the end of times...);)

I love this cover:)

TombRaiderLover
04-04-08, 19:19
The subtitle says Welkom bij het einde der tijden... (Welcome to the end of times...);)

I love this cover:)

Oh. Well, it definitely says "The classic masterpiece" on mine, but the picture of the crow and the background is the exact same. :p

touchthesky
04-04-08, 19:41
I am a bit further into Rose Madder and it has changed SO much. It's more like a fantasy novel now.

I am excited to see the outcome.

King is God.

Wrebbit
04-04-08, 19:56
I am a bit further into Rose Madder and it has changed SO much. It's more like a fantasy novel now.

I am excited to see the outcome.

King is God.

I'm almost ready reading it and I can say it changes alot. At first I thought the fantasy part inside the painting was very out of place because it's soo different from the rest of the story, but now I think the painting-element is a good break from the normal storyline (which, to be honest, gets a little boring at some times).

But it's been a great book so far.:D

touchthesky
04-04-08, 21:00
I don't really like being in Normans head so much. He's so messed up sometimes it's hard to keep up.

I liked the painting bit a lot. I'm glad it was just a small stint though, because as much as I did like it, I am not a huge fantasy fan.

I think I'm on page 353 or somewhere near.

Wrebbit
05-04-08, 12:26
I finished Rose Madder today and overall I liked the book. Nowhere near IT or The Stand but it's still a good book. Funny thing is that I bought the book 2 years ago yet I didn't read it. Now I don't get why I didn't wanted to read it.:)

touchthesky
05-04-08, 13:39
Is the ending as good as the rest of the book?

I'm at the toilet scene now. So I will get the book finished today definately.

TombRaiderLover
05-04-08, 13:48
So folks, what's your favourite King book?

Mine would probably be 'Salem's Lot :)

touchthesky
05-04-08, 15:13
So far it's either IT, Pet Semetary or Insomnia.
I don't think I could pick just one.

knightgames
05-04-08, 18:47
Toss up between The Dead Zone, The Stand, and The Talisman.

That being said there are sections of other books that I like even more than these books themselves. For example. I love how SK gives CUJO a character in the book. Brilliant. He makes you feel bad for the dog by letting you know what's happening to him in his mind. It becomes much more than a 'Nightmare on Elm Street' murder fest. There's reason and reasoning why the dog does what it does.

What is your favorite SK movie, and how do you compare it to the book. Mine would be Green Mile. It was a decent story, but what really made the movie shine was the superb acting. (You can never go wrong with Hanks.) The second best is a tie between Misery and Shawshank Redemption. Again the acting was superb, but also the cinimatography and set design captured the feeling of the book.

Christine the movie was horrible in that regard. Instead it looked like a cliched hollywood teen angst movie. Taking it out of the greater Pittsburg area and placing it in the happy California suberb removed a lot of the atmosphere.

Has anyone read SK's Bachman Books. He wrote under a pen name for a while. Most of them were early works from before he was well known.

One of his better short stories would be a great movie. The Long Walk. (I guess because I grew up about 5 miles from the finish line endures me to it. But never the less it's a decent story.

Wrebbit
05-04-08, 19:12
Is the ending as good as the rest of the book?

I'm at the toilet scene now. So I will get the book finished today definately.

The ending is the best part of the book:)

Tombreaper
05-04-08, 19:37

I have many favourites..The Stand, yeah, that's my favourite I guess, there are so many titles..

TombRaiderLover
05-04-08, 19:46
Has anyone read SK's Bachman Books. He wrote under a pen name for a while. Most of them were early works from before he was well known.

One of his better short stories would be a great movie. The Long Walk. (I guess because I grew up about 5 miles from the finish line endures me to it. But never the less it's a decent story.

I've read Rage and The Long Walk, both of which I really enjoyed.

I'm currently reading The Mist, the first in the Skeleton Crew collection. It's great so far. Just finished the bit in which Norm is dragged into the fog by the tentacles. :)

touchthesky
05-04-08, 19:51
The ending is the best part of the book:)

Finished! That was a really nice book. I particularly liked it when Norman became the bull.

The next King book I'm reading is Hearts In Atlantis.

But I'm reading another short book before than so I don't have a King-overhaul haha.

knightgames
05-04-08, 20:09
I've read Rage and The Long Walk, both of which I really enjoyed.

I'm currently reading The Mist, the first in the Skeleton Crew collection. It's great so far. Just finished the bit in which Norm is dragged into the fog by the tentacles. :)

Cool. Enjoy.

knightgames
05-04-08, 20:12

I'm embarrassed to admit I've not read that book. I have a friend who wanted to buy the book for me. LOL I turned him down. I should pick it up one day.

touchthesky
05-04-08, 20:17
I picked up Salems lot for 3.50 in a charity shop..just an old one..

Then the next day I was in Zavvi and they had the extended one with the notes from Stephen King brand new for 5.

How annoyed was I.

TombRaiderLover
05-04-08, 20:34
Yeah, I'm hoping to buy the illustrated (extended) edition of 'Salem's Lot.

Also, I'm afraid of ruining my perfect-condition of The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition, so I'm thinking of maybe buying an old hardback copy from eBay eventually.

Anybody know what's been cut from the DVD of The Stand? Apparently about six or seven minutes is missing (plus the back cover claims that it may have been adjusted from it's original television broadcast.)

God, this thread has suddenly made me King-mad. :p I'm craving more books, plus the 10-disc Stephen King DVD boxset.

touchthesky
05-04-08, 20:46
Well if you have a Zavvi nearby nip in :D. The online price is 18.99...far cry from the store price lol.

I always try and pick up a new King book when I'm out. I buy them from charity shops because I just can't afford the ammount I buy brand new and theyre just as good, AND the moneys going to a good cause :).

I never pick up copies that are too beaten and bashed. I bought a few new though. Oh and has Carrie been withdrawn because we can't seem to find it anywhere...I bought it on Ebay in the end becasue Smiths, Waterstones, Charity shops...NOWHERE has it.

knightgames
05-04-08, 21:38
Stephen's worst story. THE LANGOLIERS. It was even worse as a mini series.

sorry. Had to throw that in there. Somethings are so bad you block them from memory.

touchthesky
06-04-08, 13:55
So I decided against Hearts In Atlantis because I read a review online and it wasn't positive.

Decided to go for something else instead, although I can't decide what.

Any ideas?

knightgames
06-04-08, 18:54
Try The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

Actually it's very well written, but I have to be honest. Many of the things that make the book endearing are because of real life references that we in the New England area are very aware of.

S.K. is a huge Red Sox fan. Tom Gordon was relief pitcher. Many references circle around that, and certain things that transpire during a radio broadcast of the games. He takes the references right out of real life. I loved the story, and would have still loved it if I weren't familiar with the Sox or other things in the book.

It does have the mysterious Indian Spirit thing in it from Pet Semetary...... albeit in my memory it was not a major player in the story. Enough to raise the hair on your neck though.

TombRaiderLover
06-04-08, 19:21
Try The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

Actually it's very well written, but I have to be honest. Many of the things that make the book endearing are because of real life references that we in the New England area are very aware of.

S.K. is a huge Red Sox fan. Tom Gordon was relief pitcher. Many references circle around that, and certain things that transpire during a radio broadcast of the games. He takes the references right out of real life. I loved the story, and would have still loved it if I weren't familiar with the Sox or other things in the book.

It does have the mysterious Indian Spirit thing in it from Pet Semetary...... albeit in my memory it was not a major player in the story. Enough to raise the hair on your neck though.

I loved that book. Very engaging. :)

Ever read Different Seasons, touchthesky?

Angel666
06-04-08, 19:50
I love Stephen King. Insomnia was the first King book I ever read. My personal favorite however has to be The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. I couldn't really get into IT or Pet Semetary. Loved the movies, especially IT (Tim Curry rocks my argyle socks) but couldn't really get into the books for some strange reason. Maybe I was to young. I loved Cujo and Misery but didn't care for the films, especially Cujo. The Shining is great too. REDRUM!

Wrebbit
06-04-08, 20:20
So I decided against Hearts In Atlantis because I read a review online and it wasn't positive.

Decided to go for something else instead, although I can't decide what.

Any ideas?

In order from most interesting to interesing: The stand, IT, The Shining, Rose Madder (altough you already read it:p), Eyes of the dragon, Salem's Lot.

I'm going to buy the first 3 books of the Dark Tower serie this week. They are reprinted in hardback so I have to get those (the other 4 are being reprinted in the next month). Funny thing is that I already have those first 3 books in paperback, but when I get the last 4 in hardback, then my Dark Tower collection won't be 'one' (I can't stand to have books of the same serie with different frontpages and different backs:D)

TombRaiderLover
06-04-08, 20:30
I'm going to buy the first 3 books of the Dark Tower serie this week. They are reprinted in hardback so I have to get those (the other 4 are being reprinted in the next month). Funny thing is that I already have those first 3 books in paperback, but when I get the last 4 in hardback, then my Dark Tower collection won't be 'one' (I can't stand to have books of the same serie with different frontpages and different backs:D)

I only have the fifth book, so I'm itching to get the others. :D

touchthesky
06-04-08, 21:02
Thanks for the heads up everyone. I looked at the stand and the writing was too small for me right now (i am in a nice short-book mood after rose madder haha) and i dont own tgwltg.

I have read IT but was going to read it again, HOWEVER, i decided to read Blaze.

I loved the writers intro.

nicola1986
07-04-08, 15:28
I've read The Girl Who Loves Tom Gordon (I think it's called), Gerald's Game, Pet Semetary and I'm currently reading Cujo and I can't seem to put it down, it's fantastic :D

touchthesky
07-04-08, 19:19
Ah, blaze is pretty good. Interesting so far. I can see this being a good read.

I saw everythings eventual in the charity shop today but left it for the time being.

amazon84
08-04-08, 01:55
I love most of Stephens movies and books

cammy.
08-04-08, 08:55
I luuuve Insomnia and I also like Desperation a lot.

Wrebbit
08-04-08, 15:55
I begun reading The Dead Zone and it's good so far. Love the part with the wheel of fortune.

touchthesky
08-04-08, 16:01
Is The Stand a good movie? I saw it yesterday but didn't buy it.

Angel666
08-04-08, 17:27
I liked it. I haven't read the book though so comparitively, I don't know. Cujo's on right now, but I detest the movie. Totally changed the ending. Makes me angry.

touchthesky
08-04-08, 19:19
I haven't read the book either. I was going to start but the writing's size put me off lol.

I needed a nice big writing book..after the 500 pages that was Rose Madder.

Christi
08-04-08, 19:33
LOVE HIS BOOKS!:hug:

touchthesky
09-04-08, 11:32
Is anyone a member of this;

http://www.stephenkinglibrary.com/doc/skl/ms/ms_9606.html

?

---
Stephen King's Alcohol & Drug Abuse History:
In On Writing King admitted that he struggled with alcohol abuse during the 1980s and based the alcoholic father in The Shining on himself. King's family and friends confronted him about his alcohol and drug problems, causing him to seek help. He quit using alcohol and drugs in the late 1980s.

Hmm I didn't know that :O.

knightgames
09-04-08, 16:17
Is anyone a member of this;

http://www.stephenkinglibrary.com/doc/skl/ms/ms_9606.html

?

---
Stephen King's Alcohol & Drug Abuse History:
In On Writing King admitted that he struggled with alcohol abuse during the 1980s and based the alcoholic father in The Shining on himself. King's family and friends confronted him about his alcohol and drug problems, causing him to seek help. He quit using alcohol and drugs in the late 1980s.

Hmm I didn't know that :O.

The last book in "The Dark Tower" series deals with a lot of SK's alchohol and drug abuse. He weaves it into the story. I wonder how much was autobiographical, and how much was hyperbole for the book? I tend to think he dealt with his habits honestly within the confines of the story. He holds no punches about it either. He knows how much it almost cost him.

It's just strange that the story is dealing with horror/sci-fi and he's telling a mini biography of what and where his life was in 1976. He's very up front about it, which is another reason why I feel he respects his readers and fans alot.

Wrebbit
10-04-08, 19:13
Okay so I'm on page 300 of The Dead Zone, and it's a good book so far. I'm anxious to see where the story goes to.

Anyone else read The Dead Zone?

touchthesky
10-04-08, 19:17
I haven't..But I picked up the book of short stories with The Body in it today, I can't see the cover from here *and im too lazy to go look :P* so I'm not entirely sure of the name.

I scrapped Blaze and am not 79 pages into Cujo..I like it! The only parts I don't like are the business-talk parts lol.

TombRaiderLover
10-04-08, 19:24
I haven't..But I picked up the book of short stories with The Body in it today, I can't see the cover from here *and im too lazy to go look :P* so I'm not entirely sure of the name.

Different Seasons. ;)

touchthesky
10-04-08, 19:25
That's it! Thanks :)!

It was my 24th King book, so I don't think I'm doing awfully badly.

TombRaiderLover
10-04-08, 19:28
You're catching up with me! Nooo! :eek: :p

touchthesky
10-04-08, 19:32
^How many do you have :D?

Still got a long way to finish the collection though haha xD.

I'm gonna get the Dark Tower books last I think (obviously aside from books that are brought out in the future) because if I buy one, I'm gonna want the other's before I get any unrelated books.
Damn me and my collection-ness.

TombRaiderLover
10-04-08, 20:18
^How many do you have :D?

Still got a long way to finish the collection though haha xD.

I'm gonna get the Dark Tower books last I think (obviously aside from books that are brought out in the future) because if I buy one, I'm gonna want the other's before I get any unrelated books.
Damn me and my collection-ness.

Urm, 26 I think. Not totally sure. :p

star-dust
10-04-08, 23:58
I don't consider
myself a fan because
I haven't read enough of
Stephen King's books but I've
read a couple.
Pet Sematary had be
afraid to turn the page.
I was sort of disappointed
with the end but I would love to read
it over again!
Carrie was my first Stephen King book
which I read when I was in grade 7,
I read it over not too long ago,
it is by far my favorite.:D

LaraCroft_3183
11-04-08, 00:40
I LOVE Stephen King! I have read most of his books...my favorites are The Dark Tower Series, Black House, Misery...all of them really...lol
I am a big fan of the movies as well...

meansizzler
11-04-08, 00:51
Christine anyone?... TTFN...

touchthesky
11-04-08, 09:02
I own Christine but have yet to read it. I keep putting the 1st person books off..I'm not a huge fan of 1st person books that aren't diaries.

I am gonna go to "books and beans" (a used book/coffee shop combo type place) later and see if I can pick up a new King book. I think I'm addicted haha.

I am now 117 pages in Cujo and I really like it.

I will buy the movie soon because it's only 5 in HMV.

Wrebbit
03-05-08, 21:08
I began reading the Dark Tower series. They're finally releasing hard-back's of the series and I bought the first four. The first book also includes the short story Little sisters of Euluria but I thought that was kinda strange.

Anyway we'll see how far I get this time. Last time I stopped reading after book 2 because the story became to 'strange':).

Legend 4ever
03-05-08, 21:11
I liked Carrie, his first novel.

Mona Sax
03-05-08, 21:27
Carrie is definitely one of his best, I also like The Shining and It. King is one of the most inconstant writers I know, though - some of his books are awesome, others are just terrible.

knutroald
03-05-08, 22:59
Reading the Stand right now! :) Loving it.

Inkheart
03-05-08, 23:19
I have Cell, but I couldn't get into it. I will try again (because everyone says he's a genius) but at the moment, I'm more into James Herbert. One thing I've heard about Stephen King, though, is that he writes crap endings. And I think endings are extremely important.

Lara Coft Baby
04-05-08, 08:23
He is really good I really like him. He is one of the best suspense authors. I havent really read/seen much of his work. But i have seen a couple of his movies. I can't remember what they were called but they were really good. :jmp:

touchthesky
06-05-08, 13:46
I have Cell, but I couldn't get into it. I will try again (because everyone says he's a genius) but at the moment, I'm more into James Herbert. One thing I've heard about Stephen King, though, is that he writes crap endings. And I think endings are extremely important.

If you want one of Kings genius works go for an older book, not Cell.

I finished the Green Mile last week. So moving.

I am currently onto Gunslinger.

hey_jude
06-05-08, 13:47
I have always found Carrie a great book. His way to explore the mind of the character is unique.

Wrebbit
06-05-08, 14:26
One thing I've heard about Stephen King, though, is that he writes crap endings. And I think endings are extremely important.

I agree that some books have really crappy endings like The Dead Zone and The Stand (so dissapointed). But others have good endings like IT.

touchthesky
06-05-08, 14:32
You kinda have to expect at least a few rubbish endings/endings you wont like though, with the ammount he has written.

Obscure
06-05-08, 14:37

I read Cell and I was quite shocked at how unlike Stephen King it was. I wrote a comment further into the thread about it.

touchthesky
06-05-08, 14:46
Has anyone read the Green Mile?

SPOILER Delacrioux (probs spelled that wrong there) was my favourite character. His death was just so appaling and heartbreaking. It was made worse by the fact that even though you knew he was a murderer, he got portrayed as such an innocent man. He seemed so simple. His death got me more than Coffeys did.

Rein
06-05-08, 16:46
i read green mile:P its nice, but a little sad in the end.

so as you see i love king, its a great writer:) ive read these books: Pet Sematary,IT,The Shining,Salems Lot,Dragons eyes,apt pupil, the zone of silence( i dont remeber the exact title of this book in english:P)

SparkleCroft07
06-05-08, 17:04
I'm a fan of Stephen King. I like Salem's Lot. :p

touchthesky
06-05-08, 17:28
i read green mile:P its nice, but a little sad in the end.

so as you see i love king, its a great writer:) ive read these books: Pet Sematary,IT,The Shining,Salems Lot,Dragons eyes,apt pupil, the zone of silence( i dont remeber the exact title of this book in english:P)

Maybe you mean Dead Zone? :)

touchthesky
08-01-10, 11:10
Boo I hate to double-post but there has been a lot of King talk lately and it depresses me to think of this thread. Plz delete my previous post if need be.

I am currently reading IT.

It was the book that got me into King so to speak. I absolutely adore it. It's an absolute classic. I am 54 pages in and it's all coming back now..all the stuff they left out of that tv movie. I hope, that if they DO remake it they include some of the stuff they didn't include back then:
The Leper
The Giant Bird
The Drowning
The werewolf (he appears, but only for a short time, he has a much bigger role in the books)
The "I love Derry" hat deal

igonge
08-01-10, 12:13
I've read Carrie, Misery, The Shining and The Mist. I'm about to start reading The Stand.

touchthesky
08-01-10, 12:18
I've read Carrie, Misery, The Shining and The Mist. I'm about to start reading The Stand.

Let me know how that is, I've npt read it yet.

Although a lot of people say it gives you a cold....

Dennis's Mom
08-01-10, 13:38
I just got "Under the Dome" on tape from the library yesterday. So far so good.

If you haven't read Duma Key, I highly recommend it.

If you've never read "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft," I recommend that. Very good, useful writing advice. It's a fascinating peek in the world of one of the most prolific and successful authors of our time.

Shark_Blade
08-01-10, 14:17
There's a hard bound cover of Salem's Lot with illustrations, but I can't find it anymore in my local bookstore. Oh phooey. :(

It's just like when I wanted the Twilight books. When you don't want something it's there playing in front of your eyes. When you're dying to get one, it's gone. *facepalm*

jackles
08-01-10, 14:52
Me, I am.

I have all the 'horror' ones and have read virtually everything else. I also have an illustrated version of The Stand which is my all time favourite.

Nenya awakens
08-01-10, 15:21
Just recently bought cycle of the werewolf which is pretty good:)

touchthesky
08-01-10, 15:25
Me, I am.

I have all the 'horror' ones and have read virtually everything else. I also have an illustrated version of The Stand which is my all time favourite.

What did you think of Rose Madder? :)

I always thought one of the scariest parts in a King novel was from RM..when the crickets come from the photo frame.

TombRaiderLover
08-01-10, 15:36
I'm currently reading Under the Dome, which is great so far. ;) Once I'm finished, I hope to finally complete IT and The Stand. I got 500 pages into the former but never returned to it, and I recently began reading The Stand, but once I got several books for Christmas I decided to leave it for another time.

I own Christine but have yet to read it. I keep putting the 1st person books off..I'm not a huge fan of 1st person books that aren't diaries.
I strongly recommend you read it. Brilliant book. :)

Dennis's Mom
08-01-10, 16:26
I think Stephen King's later works are far superior to his earlier ones, not that I don't love his earlier ones. But he's clearly a stronger writer later in his life.

One great book that I bet no one read is Tales from a Buick 8. That is an excellently told tale.

touchthesky
08-01-10, 16:37
I think Stephen King's later works are far superior to his earlier ones, not that I don't love his earlier ones. But he's clearly a stronger writer later in his life.

One great book that I bet no one read is Tales from a Buick 8. That is an excellently told tale.

I own two copies of this book but no, I haven't read it yet. I really should.

Atm I'm in the process of re-buying my KIng books so they all (or most of them) have matching covers. Like the ones at the beginning:

http://i36.************/292mpfd.jpg

Im currently waiting for Cujo an Firestarter to come from Ebay :)

jackles
08-01-10, 16:45

i have...i have the book.

Rose Madder..I found this one disturbing in the way that King very often gets under my skin so much I identify with the characters to an intense degree. As a woman who has had a tumultuous

My most ickiest mental image comes from IT....where it bites its lips...I can't even quote it because my brain screams at the thought!

touchthesky
08-01-10, 16:59
i have...i have the book.

Rose Madder..I found this one disturbing in the way that King very often gets under my skin so much I identify with the characters to an intense degree. As a woman who has had a tumultuous

My most ickiest mental image comes from IT....where it bites its lips...I can't even quote it because my brain screams at the thought!

See the giant bird always scared me in IT.

Im really enjoying my re-read :) Not that far in, I think Rich just recieved his phone call.

jackles
08-01-10, 17:12
When you get to the bit where the clown bites its lips think of me going eeeeeuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

Lara's Nemesis
08-01-10, 17:55
Im currently waiting for Cujo an Firestarter to come from Ebay :)

Cujo is a really good book, much better than the film. Some of the story is told from the dog's point of view which works really well.

My favourite King books

The Stand
It
Salem's Lot
The Shining
Misery
The Dead Zone
Christine
Pet Semetary

His shorty story books have some real gems in them as well leading to films like Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption.

Out of films/TV adaptations I have seen recently I would highly recommend The Mist and Storm of the Century.

tranniversary119
08-01-10, 17:58
I wanna read Under the Dome sometime soon. :)

accordingtojoe
08-01-10, 18:00
my favourite books by him probably have to be 'Carrie' and 'Misery'. I definatley should read more though, he is a good author.

touchthesky
08-01-10, 18:10
Cujo is a really good book, much better than the film. Some of the story is told from the dog's point of view which works really well.

I have read Cujo before, I own it, just not in the style I want. :)

it is a good book!

Dennis's Mom
08-01-10, 19:25
Out of films/TV adaptations I have seen recently I would highly recommend The Mist and Storm of the Century.

The Mist isn't a bad adaptation at all, but I can't decide whether I preferred the original or the new ending.

I think The Langoliers is very good too.

CerebralAssassin
08-01-10, 20:25
here's a list of the novels I've read in order of favoritism:

1.The Stand
2.Cell (similar to the Stand)
3.Gerald's Game
4.Hearts in Atlantis
5.Dark Tower II:The Drawing of the Three
6.Salem's Lot
7.Misery
8.Dark Tower III:The Wastelands
9.Needful Things
10.Dark Tower I:The Gunslinger
11.Dark Tower V:Wolves of the Calla
12.Dark Tower VI:SoS
13. Dark Tower IV:Wizard and Glass (crappy)
14.Bag of Bones (even more crappy)

touchthesky
08-01-10, 20:32
^I liked Cell..I found it very different to the ones I have read though..which I'll list in order of favoritism as you have :)

1. IT
2. Insomnia
3. Rose Madder/The Eyes of the dragon (i really cant choose :()
4. Pet Semetary
5. Dolores Claiborne
6. Hearts In Atlantis
7. Carrie
8. Cell
9. The Green Mile
10. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
11. Cujo
12. Geralds Game
13. Misery

Anyone else read the eyes of the dragon? does King do any other books similar to it because it was EXTREMELY different to any of the other stories I have read.

Love2Raid
08-01-10, 20:34
Yeah, here!

I have actually only read one book. >_>
But that one was huge! (the stand, extended edition) :p

Now, I have watched many movies based on his novels, and I love them ALL. I am planning to read more of his work soon. :D

Dennis's Mom
08-01-10, 20:36
I have a "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" pop up book! :p

touchthesky
08-01-10, 21:45
I have a "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" pop up book! :p

I have heard about that lol!

I want more King related merch but it's knowing what to get.

Has anyone got Colorado Kid? I want but theyre soo expensive!

TombRaiderLover
08-01-10, 21:49
I have read:

Carrie
Misery
The Shining
Salem's Lot
Pet Sematary
Rage
The Long Walk
Cujo
Danse Macabre

Salem's Lot would be my favourite. ;)

silver_wolf
08-01-10, 22:53
Hell yeah!
I've read:
The Stand
Salem's Lot
The Shining
Pet Cemetery
Misery
Night Shift
Skeleton Crew
Just After Sunset
The Dark Tower Series (except for the last one)
Cell
The Talisman
Black House
IT
Duma Key
The Eyes of the Dragon

I think IT is my favorite, right next to The Talisman. I want to get Under the Dome, too. :D

tonyme
08-01-10, 23:05
Huge fan of his :D

I love The Shining the most, it's my favorite novel ever! But also Carrie, Pet Semetary, Cell, Lisey's Story, The Mist and Children Of The Corn.

Still have to complete It and The Shawshank Redemption

Dennis's Mom
09-01-10, 00:15
Has anyone got Colorado Kid? I want but theyre soo expensive!

I got it cheap on cassette. It's a fun tale, but the picture on the front really has nothing to do with the story. :p

tombraiderluka
09-01-10, 00:18
Nice collection you've got there. My mum likes him, me not so much :tmb:

Shark_Blade
17-01-10, 01:16
I got Salem's Lot and I gotta say this book is really good! I'm still currently reading it and it's my second SK novel.

From the start, the story keeps me asking and questioning about the weird things happening, and many interesting things are sprouting out progressively. I'm just delighted it's better than Pet Sematary (My first SK novel which I haven't finished yet, because of it's slow pace. I'll need to finish it as well one of these days).

PoseidonsDeath
17-01-10, 02:39
I've read 4 Past Midnight and The Regulators. I've also read a biography over him.

tranniversary119
17-01-10, 04:13
I haven't really read a whole lot of his books, I tried reading IT but put it down because it was so boring and confusing. I also read a lot of Rose Madder but I have no idea why I never finished it...I might have to do so soon. But I picked up Under the Dome a couple of days ago, and so far it's really good. Anybody else read it yet?

CerebralAssassin
17-01-10, 04:17
^I liked Cell..I found it very different to the ones I have read though..which I'll list in order of favoritism as you have :)

1. IT
2. Insomnia
3. Rose Madder/The Eyes of the dragon (i really cant choose :()
4. Pet Semetary
5. Dolores Claiborne
6. Hearts In Atlantis
7. Carrie
8. Cell
9. The Green Mile
10. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
11. Cujo
12. Geralds Game
13. Misery

Anyone else read the eyes of the dragon? does King do any other books similar to it because it was EXTREMELY different to any of the other stories I have read.

I heard Insomnia is really complicated...I'll give it a try sometime!:)

Yeah, here!

I have actually only read one book. >_>
But that one was huge! (the stand, extended edition) :p

Now, I have watched many movies based on his novels, and I love them ALL. I am planning to read more of his work soon. :D

u should have left the best for last!:p

I got Salem's Lot and I gotta say this book is really good! I'm still currently reading it and it's my second SK novel.

From the start, the story keeps me asking and questioning about the weird things happening, and many interesting things are sprouting out progressively. I'm just delighted it's better than Pet Sematary (My first SK novel which I haven't finished yet, because of it's slow pace. I'll need to finish it as well one of these days).

how about Barlow's letter to Mears and Co?that's the part of the book that gave me the most creeps

touchthesky
17-01-10, 10:37
Person who hasn't finished Rose Madder..do it! Lol.

And yeah, Insomnia is really complicated but the good thing about it is you're always learning and realising different things each time you read it. I've read it 3 times and to be honest each time I read it it feels like a completely different book.

Am still reading IT, am almost 300 pages in :)

tonyme
29-01-10, 11:21
Anyone watched his TV miniseries? I love love love these two:

Stephen King's THE SHINING

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/tonybeayno/3582-1.jpg

I think it's really amazing. Very well acted, and really loyal to the book. Much better than Kubrick's in terms of story. :tmb:

--

Stephen King's ROSE RED

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/tonybeayno/Stephen_Kings_Rose_Red_2002.jpg

Really REALLY cool! It's an amazing story and really spooky with some big names in the cast (including a comeo appearance by King himself) like Nancy Travis, Melanie Lynskey, etc.

Aranara
29-01-10, 11:49
The Shining movie was really creepy! :eek:
But I loved it! :tmb:

touchthesky
29-01-10, 15:05
I got excited when I saw Rose Red because I thought it was a tv version of Rose Madder..one of Kings best but under-rated books. Damn lol.

tonyme
29-01-10, 15:34
I got excited when I saw Rose Red because I thought it was a tv version of Rose Madder..one of Kings best but under-rated books. Damn lol.

lol Yeah but it's not! I haven't read Rose Madder

CerebralAssassin
30-01-10, 06:40
yeah...Rose Red was pretty creepy.watched it years ago

Dennis's Mom
30-01-10, 14:10
I listened to The Diary of Rose Red by Ellen Rimbauer. It was a really good read.

I still haven't seen the miniseries.

touchthesky
23-05-10, 16:54
Hope it's alright to bump this.

I am currently re-reading Pet Semetary and enjoying it so much :-). I have SO many KIng books I've yet to read, they're just sat on my shelf..but the ones I have read I love soo much that I wanna read them again and again.

I'd like to read The Shining, The Stand and Salems Lot but mehhhh Pet Semetary keeps wanting me lmao.

I need a push!!!

Gregori
23-05-10, 16:59
I've just finished reading IT

http://i32.************/301obrb.png

http://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/stephen-king-it.jpg

CerebralAssassin
23-05-10, 17:00
thank God someone bumped this thread!!:p

touchthesky
23-05-10, 17:01
:P I've been wanting to for a while but didn't have MUCH to say...but now..it couldn't wait.

Ohh what did you think of "It"? It's one of my favourites.

TombRaiderLover
23-05-10, 21:47
(My early comments in this thread are cringe-worthy. I'm such a dork.)

Under The Dome is brilliant so far. I'm tempted to re-read King's early stuff once I've finished it. Oddly enough, I've only ever read The Shining once.

Gregori
23-05-10, 21:52
:P I've been wanting to for a while but didn't have MUCH to say...but now..it couldn't wait.

Ohh what did you think of "It"? It's one of my favourites.

It is AWESOME!!!

tonyme
24-05-10, 09:28
I've just finished reading IT

http://i32.************/301obrb.png

http://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/stephen-king-it.jpg

I have it but I never actually finished the first part anyway!:( I don't know why it's the only King book I haven't finished!

*laralover*
24-05-10, 09:33
O yeah me and my mum love his work :D IT was probably the most disturbing thing i ever read (i had nightmares) the film creeped me out aswell but the book almost gave me a heart attack. I also remember watching Kingdom Hospital on tv im not sure if there was a book of that though :confused:

tonyme
24-05-10, 09:36
I wanna read it so bad!:( But it's just TOO MUCH!!

Dennis's Mom
24-05-10, 13:56
I listened to "Rose Madder" a while back. It was one I had missed. Very good.

touchthesky
24-05-10, 14:04
I listened to "Rose Madder" a while back. It was one I had missed. Very good.

The scene where the crickets come out of the painting scared the crap out of me! One of the best books ever!!

Am just at the part where Church has been "done" in Pet Sematary.

Anyone ever checked out any of Kings song "Joe Hill"s work?! I've just read Heart SHaped Box but loved it.

CerebralAssassin
24-05-10, 19:26
(My early comments in this thread are cringe-worthy. I'm such a dork.)

Under The Dome is brilliant so far. I'm tempted to re-read King's early stuff once I've finished it. Oddly enough, I've only ever read The Shining once.

"this is a small town,son...and we all support the team"

lol:p

the ending is epic:cln:

touchthesky
24-05-10, 19:27
I don't own anything after Duma Key..but I refuse to buy anything cuz theres so much I still need to read x>

CerebralAssassin
24-05-10, 19:29
start from the Stand:cln: (you have that right?)

I haven't read some of his staples either (IT,the shining)

I got em on my list:cln:

ShadyCroft
24-05-10, 19:37
I'm not a fan, though I heard he's a fantastic writer. I'd love to read one of his great books.
Sadly, I must have read his most boring book. The girl who loved Tom Gordon. I just thought it was boring, so I never tried another King book. :o

robm_2007
24-05-10, 19:43
I have read:

Carrie
The Shining (It wasn't that scary; but i dont get scared easily)
The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger
Cujo
Pet Sematary (my favorite)
Cell
The Dark Zone
Firestarter
Dolores Claiborne
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (didnt really care for this)
i havent really read any books for 4-5 years (except ones that were required for school, or the Harry Potter books, so i should really read some more Stephen King:o:))

Dennis's Mom
24-05-10, 19:49
I loved The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. I didn't think it was boring at all, but then, I didn't have any problems getting behind a pre-teen girl lost in the woods, having been a pre-teen girl once myself.

It's very hard for me to pick a favorite King book. I've enjoyed them all.

touchthesky
24-05-10, 19:55
start from the Stand:cln: (you have that right?)

I haven't read some of his staples either (IT,the shining)

I got em on my list:cln:

yuss
my versions so off putting though becasue the paper is toilet paper thin and the writings soo small haha. feels like it'd take a year just to read the first page.

i will read it though.

loads of folk say that book gave them the cold?!

TombRaiderLover
24-05-10, 20:16
"this is a small town,son...and we all support the team"

lol:p

the ending is epic:cln:
I've just passed the 700 page mark (my edition containing between 850-900 pages.) I'm loving it.

I loved The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. I didn't think it was boring at all, but then, I didn't have any problems getting behind a pre-teen girl lost in the woods, having been a pre-teen girl once myself.
I thought TGWLTG was brilliant.

AliMagic
24-05-10, 20:24
I have read:

Carrie
The Shining (It wasn't that scary; but i dont get scared easily)
The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger
Cujo
Pet Sematary (my favorite)
Cell
The Dark Zone
Firestarter
Dolores Claiborne
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (didnt really care for this)
i havent really read any books for 4-5 years (except ones that were required for school, or the Harry Potter books, so i should really read some more Stephen King:o:))

I've read all of the books in the list and more I'm a massive Stephen King fan. :D I mostly read the books when I was a teenager though so I kinda forget, but I love The Shining due to it's unsettling and memorable events and the films an incredible adaption. :D Carrie is another great book and while it's unrealistic like all his books lol, it still sends out the real life message: Kids can be cruel, very very cruel. :)

Stephen King is in my opinion the best horror/supernatural author of all time. He has contributed to so much of the horror/supernatural genre and many of the films that have being adapted are incredibly good and eerie such as Pet Cemetary.

:D :D :jmp:

Shame Kings not really writing anymore, but you have to give it to him all his books are great and he has wrote ALOT and well he is getting on now lol.

touchthesky
24-05-10, 20:50
Guysss. I'm enjoying Pet Semetary SO much on my fifth/fourth re-read. I actually can't decide my number 1 favourite King book..it's a tie between IT, PS and Insomnia.

I've read PS the most but I think it's purely cuz Insomnia is such a mind **** and IT is so dang long.

robm_2007
24-05-10, 22:04
Shame Kings not really writing anymore, but you have to give it to him all his books are great and he has wrote ALOT and well he is getting on now lol.

he still writes, he has a new book coming out (Under the Dome). and he's had a few books out in the last 5 years.

he wont stop writing until he's dead, and then brought back to life; which will be the premise of his last book:p

AliMagic
24-05-10, 22:48
He's sort of writing robm 2007. He had a car accident and he's still in great pain so it's slower for him to write and it's kind of thinking of retiring. Well how can I put it he's not on a roll anymore lol :). I haven't really read any of his most recent books to be honest though I think I should.

Dennis's Mom
24-05-10, 23:12
I think his writing has only improved. I prefer his later books TBH.

robm_2007
24-05-10, 23:26
He's sort of writing robm 2007. He had a car accident and he's still in great pain so it's slower for him to write and it's kind of thinking of retiring. Well how can I put it he's not on a roll anymore lol :). I haven't really read any of his most recent books to be honest though I think I should.

Thats sad, i never knew he was in a car accident.:(

when did this happen?

AliMagic
24-05-10, 23:31
The accident happened June 19th 1999 at around 4:30pm a car came out and hit him from behind. So now unfortunately he has certain discomfort to sitting down and his stamina has being reduced permanately. He himself said that like all great writers "my invention will run out soon" so he is kind of slowing down.

He's still writing but he can't write as much as he used to that's why he's much "slower" and he has taken into account retiring. Oh well I wish good luck to him and when I'm not super busy and in a reading mood I'll look for his new book. :)

He did suffer a HELL OF A LOT in the accident though.

Lee croft
24-05-10, 23:33
No idea who he is :p

robm_2007
24-05-10, 23:35
Oh, that was like 11 years ago! he has done numerous books since then.

why would he still be in pain, after all of this time? is it his bones or something? well, i hope that he can still keep writing, or even him speak and someone write everything down for him (but he might well not work that way):o

AliMagic
24-05-10, 23:41
He's still in pain he suffered: a collapsed right lung, multiple fractures on his right leg, scalp laceration and a broken hip. He had five operations in ten days and physical therapy. He apparently resumed work on On Writing but he could only sit for about 30-40 minutes because by then he would be in agony and eventually the pain became unbearable.

And unfortunately (bless him...) he suffered and maybe still suffering severe pneumonia due to his punctured lung. And finally he said:

"I'm writing but I'm writing at a much slower pace than previously and I think that if I come up with something really, really good, I would be perfectly willing to publish it because that still feels like the final act of the creative process, publishing it so people can read it and you can get feedback and people can talk about it with each other and with you, the writer, but the force of my invention has slowed down a lot over the years and that's as it should be."

AliMagic
24-05-10, 23:42
No idea who he is :p

Um...Are you joking or are you serious? I honestly can't tell lol...

tonyme
26-05-10, 15:47
My favorite book of his will always be "The Shining" closely followed by "Carrie"