PDA

View Full Version : Do You Believe in Doomsday?

Shark_Blade
15-01-08, 02:28
As the earth is slowly dying, do you think one day everything will perish?

The final outcomes of doomsday events may range from a major disruption of human civilization, to the extinction of human life, to the destruction of the planet Earth, to the annihilation of the entire universe.

Gregori
15-01-08, 02:29
No, But I sure like playing Doom!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c9/Doom-boxart.jpg/300px-Doom-boxart.jpg

silver_wolf
15-01-08, 02:31
of course, nothing lasts forever.

Gregori
15-01-08, 02:34
of course, nothing lasts forever.

Well atleast nothing is something that lasts forever!!

nick-xx
15-01-08, 02:34
What a coincidence i was just playing Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday :p.

Vickkyyy
15-01-08, 02:36
i have no idea

there seems to be this huge amount of chaos involving the year 2012.
apparently the world is going to end ?
i dont know why everyone thinks its real THIS time
people have predicted that the world was going to end like a billion times !

Evan C.
15-01-08, 02:36
No.The human being will be erased by themself,but the world will going on many years more.And im very happy for that :)

DREWY
15-01-08, 02:45
End of the world!!

Quick, hide

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/DREWYP/elephantupatree.jpg
And if anyone asks, you never saw me. Ok?

Gregori
15-01-08, 02:49
I think the world has a few billion years to go before the sun blows up!

If we are wise, we'll live long enough to get of this planet and go explore other ones.

nick-xx
15-01-08, 02:49
@DREWY lol Dumbo :D

I think the world has a few billion years to go before the sun blows up!

Actually everyone think the sun will blow up, only if it go supernova, but due to his size, it won't happen.
So no blow up, but the light or the heat maybe gone.

tombraider123
15-01-08, 02:50
I think the Earth will be here for a good while longer. Humans I am not sure about, though.

Vickkyyy
15-01-08, 02:51
^
i disagree
i think the world will end before humans do,
meerly because humans can unfortunally find more and more ways to **** up the earth,
and, since we can invent stuff to help our human race..
and the world just cant adapt,
the world will end before humans .

interstellardave
15-01-08, 02:56
Man is only making things bad for himself--and other current species, of course. But most species die out, sad to say, and new species arise all the time. We owe our very existence to a huge asteroid impact--not to mention other catastrophic events which have shaped our development as a species. One species' doomsday is anothers' birthday. It's a fact of life. ;)

BTW, people who think we have the power to render the Earth forever lifeless don't really understand the resiliance of Life. Nor do they understand the extreme things that have happened on Earth over billions of years. We would die out before we could do anything remotely as harmful as some natural changes the Earth has gone through before!

Evangelina
15-01-08, 03:16

The final outcomes of doomsday events may range from a major disruption of human civilization, to the extinction of human life, to the destruction of the planet Earth, to the annihilation of the entire universe.

Oh I believe one day everything will perish, but not in the meteors hitting the earth/dinosaur theory type thing.

Haven't you seen planet of the apes?

We'll end up killing everything with a (nuclear) war and all that will be left are apes and the statue of liberty. :rolleyes:

Ok really, As Gregori said I don't think were all going to die just yet.
Then again, the Mayan calendar ends on December 21st, 2012 A.D...:pi:

Indiana Croft
15-01-08, 03:24
I don't believe in doomsday. Humans have a natural ability to adapt. If such a disaster were to occur, the human race would simply adapt to the situation. If we could just get over our current problems, like global warming, we'll never have to adapt to harsh conditions again. I'm just saying, if we can go from bronze age to ipods, then doomsday is fictitious to me:)

SMSL
15-01-08, 03:33
Everything that has a begining has an end. We'll have ours, one way or the other.

Gregori
15-01-08, 03:49
@DREWY lol Dumbo :D

Actually everyone think the sun will blow up, only if it go supernova, but due to his size, it won't happen.
So no blow up, but the light or the heat maybe gone.

It won't Supernova, It will just expand to 200 times it size, Its core tempreature will reach 100 million degrees at it burn Helium instead of Hydrgogen, engulfing the inner rocky planets. That means we are toast :)

Everything that has a begining has an end. We'll have ours, one way or the other.

Is this the end of the begining or the begining of the end?

SMSL
15-01-08, 04:20
Is this the end of the begining or the begining of the end?
Every begining is also the begining of the end, one has to exist to cease existing. But if you mean us mankind, we know more or less when we began, we don't know when we'll end. We might be in the middle, closer to the end, closer to the start, I'm certainly not the one to know that.

Gregori
15-01-08, 05:02
I believe that if we can imagine infinity conceptually, it has to exist. Everything begining and ending is a constant without beginning or end.

No one knows if its our truely our fate to die, but I think its not in the human spirit to consign themselves to fate. We'll always try to figure a way out. Otherwise such a discussion would be beyond our power of imagination. We couldn't discuss it at all. Maybe one day, death will die itself!

CAISACO
15-01-08, 05:07

Yes. I just don't want to think about it really.

^
i disagree
i think the world will end before humans do,
meerly because humans can unfortunally find more and more ways to **** up the earth,
and, since we can invent stuff to help our human race..
and the world just cant adapt,
the world will end before humans .

I agree with you :tmb: It's obvious that we take our planet for granted. Waisting electricity, littering, driving more than needed. SO much more/..

Gregori
15-01-08, 05:11
I agree with you :tmb: It's obvious that we take our planet for granted. Waisting electricity, littering, driving more than needed. SO much more/..

would internet games foruming be on that list?

CAISACO
15-01-08, 05:20
Yeah of course. Everything we do has to involve damaging the planet someway. I'm just saying, if I did nothing to damage the planet in any way, I wouldn't be able to do anything. I think I do pretty good. Almost everything in our house has been reused. Like recycled tile in our floors, and the environmental friendly light bulbs that cost almost 4 times as much as regular ones.

nicola1986
15-01-08, 07:21
I don't worry too much about how the world will end, there's a LOT of ways it could end or us humans get wiped out and there's a lot of different documentaries about it too but I can't worry about every single one of 'em.

Though I think there's a chance we might wipe ourselves out! ;)

NemesisxAngelus
15-01-08, 10:10

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c9/Doom-boxart.jpg/300px-Doom-boxart.jpg

:vlol:

Personally, no I don't believe in a kind of Judgement Day or Doomsday. :pi:

Angelus
15-01-08, 10:12
I don't believe in Doomsday, but the Daydoom, also known as Day of Doom. :)

Vickkyyy
15-01-08, 11:28

exactlyy.
we take our planet for granted.
period .

EgyptianSoul
15-01-08, 11:40
I don't believe. But I guess we'll all just have to wait and see will such a time come.

Gabi
15-01-08, 12:27
I don't believe in a doomsday as such but I am convinced that mankind will find a way to extinct itself.........

Rexie
15-01-08, 13:40

ditto.

No,I don't believe in it.

Kamnelomo
15-01-08, 13:41
**** no

Earthcane
15-01-08, 13:44
Of course I believe in Doomsday, it is inevitable and irreversuible.

Afterall, a planet can't live forever. If therev is a Doomsday, the one in which
the earth is completly shattered into millions of pices, it will hardly be in any of
our lifetimes.
Perhaps not even in the lifetimes of people billions of years from today.

JANKERSON
15-01-08, 13:45
One day the earth will be gone, but that will be Billions of year from now I would guess. Humans will go by the way of the Dinosours at some point, but the earth will still be here long after they (WE) are gone.

Tomb Raider Master
15-01-08, 14:19
I don't know. I don't really occupy myself with such thoughts.

rowanlim
15-01-08, 14:38
I do believe that the world will come to an end, but not in a religious sense, it will end because of nature. IMO :)

Drone
15-01-08, 17:53

Every ending is a new beginning for something else. This world will end up and new one will take its place. I don't think that main universe power will ever stop it's cycle

Ikas90
15-01-08, 18:11
I believe the world will end this century, probably when we're all still alive. There are more than enough nuclear bombs, and more than enough stupid people out there, so I won't be surprised if a nuclear war does happen.

The day the world ends is known as Armageddon. Jesus will come down to Earth to tell us that the world is going to end; It's a day that's meant to happen. No matter what, it is going to happen. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when".

The world is going to end one day. It's written in the Bible itself. Humans were created to destroy eachother. No matter what, that day is going to happen, whether it'll be tomorrow, 2012, or even in 5 billion years when the sun uses up all of it's energy, swells, and engulfs the Earth.

Hack
15-01-08, 18:17
I believe the world will end this century, probably when we're all still alive. There are more than enough nuclear bombs, and more than enough stupid people out there, so I won't be surprised if a nuclear war does happen.

The day the world ends is known as Armageddon. Jesus will come down to Earth to tell us that the world is going to end; It's a day that's meant to happen. No matter what, it is going to happen. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when".

The world is going to end one day. It's written in the Bible itself. Humans were created to destroy eachother. No matter what, that day is going to happen, whether it'll be tomorrow, 2012, or even in 5 billion years when the sun uses up all of it's energy, swells, and engulfs the Earth.

Wow, I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon. I actually like living, quite alot. I don't think there is any good reason why we should destroy ourselves. What a waste that would be. I think we are in our prime as a species, considering the amazing level of progress acheived in the last 200 years.
I hope we can travel to another planet within my lifetime, like Venus or Mars.

Nannonxyay
15-01-08, 18:18
Maybe, but hopefully that's not for a very long time! :D

Drone
15-01-08, 18:23

There will be antichrist before Jesus comes down and Jesus will defeat him. Only then doom's day begins. Are there any potential antichrists?

PARANOIA
15-01-08, 18:24
There will be antichrist before Jesus come down and Jesus will defeat him. Only then doom's day begins. Are there any potential antichrists?

The "antichrist" is just a figure of speech for extremists to denounce a certain political or social figure, i.e. Bush, Hussein, Ahmadinejad, etc..

FourBalls
15-01-08, 18:24
Doomsday? No I don't believe in it. However I do believe that mankind will eventually destroy itself, and Earth will go down the same path soon enough after that.

Draco
15-01-08, 18:29
The Earth will one day be swallowed up by Sol...but I couldn't tell you when that will happen...

Hack
15-01-08, 18:29
The "antichrist" is just a figure of speech for extremists to denounce a certain political or social figure, i.e. Bush, Hussein, Ahmadinejad, etc..

If I remember correctly, the Bible doesn't mention anything much about extremism but It does specify in Revelations that there will be an actual Anti-Christ.

PARANOIA
15-01-08, 18:31
If I remember correctly, the Bible doesn't mention anything much about extremism but It does specify in Revelations that there will be an actual Anti-Christ.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy specifically states that Vogons destroy the planet Earth to make way for an intergalactic bypass.

Why have neither of those happened?

Hack
15-01-08, 18:35
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy specifically states that Vogons destroy the planet Earth to make way for an intergalactic bypass.

Why have neither of those happened?

Galaxy is intented to be absurdist fiction commenting on modern society and the writers of the Bible took their scriptures very dead seriously..

When they write Anti-Christ, they certainly weren't merely treating it as a figure of speech. Thats would count as the modern use of the word.

Drone
15-01-08, 18:35
some info

Expected role

There is a consensus that sometime prior to the expected return of Jesus, there will be a period of "great tribulation"[21] during which the Antichrist, indwelt and controlled by Satan, will attempt to win supporters with false peace, supernatural signs, and will silence all that defy him by refusing to "receive his mark" on their right hands or forehead. This "mark" will be required to legally partake in the end-time economic system[22]. Some Christians believe that the Antichrist will be assassinated half way through the Tribulation, being revived and indwelt by Satan. The Antichrist will continue on for three and a half years following "deadly wound".[23]

The "Dragon" (interpreted as Satan), the "Beast" (often interpreted as the Antichrist) and the "false prophet" (interpreted in many ways) who compels the world to worship the Beast, and all who received his mark (cast their lot with him) will be the first occupants thrown into the Lake of Fire, and then commences the millennium. These views are based on controversial passages in the Apocalypse of John, more commonly known as the Book of Revelation.

After the above-mentioned destructions, the rule by Christ and the Saints for a literal 1,000 year reign, and the losing of Satan "for a season", termed in scripture as the "Great White Throne Judgment" will take place, at which time both the living and the unsaved dead will be resurrected, some for everlasting life, and some for everlasting death. All those who worship God through Jesus will be admitted to the presence of God. Those individuals who would not accept the free pardon of grace will be thrown into the "lake of Fire".

The Bible verse from chapter 8 of the Book of Daniel is seen as a prophecy of the Antichrist: "And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up. And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practise, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people. And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand."[24]

In other views, the role is far less dramatic — the Antichrist is simply believed to be a group of individuals as well as organizations, who, for their history of trying to deceive and stifle the faithful, are finally destroyed for all time by God on the day of Armageddon. Gog and Magog are identified as the nations in the four corners of the earth, and their attack is represented as an eschatological crisis after the Millennium, to be vanquished by divine intervention.

Ikas90
15-01-08, 18:41
Wow, I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon. I actually like living, quite alot. I don't think there is any good reason why we should destroy ourselves. What a waste that would be. I think we are in our prime as a species, considering the amazing level of progress acheived in the last 200 years.
I hope we can travel to another planet within my lifetime, like Venus or Mars.

In the last 200 years, there have been more products made that cause more pollution. If we are to avoid ending the world due to Global Warming, if that's what is gonna cause the end of the world, then people are gonna need to be able to get along with eachother; Which I doubt will happen.

And people do talk about going to other planets. It will be a very different world then; We might even live in Space one day. There are a lot of fictional movies which involve separating from Earth, and colonising other planets of different solar systems. Our technology isn't yet advanced enough for that kind of travel; And I doubt we will have that technology by the time the world ends.

PARANOIA
15-01-08, 18:45
Our technology isn't yet advanced enough for that kind of travel; And I doubt we will have that technology by the time the world ends.

Just because we cannot comprehend a future technology, it doesn't mean it cannot possibly occur. Nobody expected Albert Einstein to explain quantum theory, or Goddard to build a functional rocket, or Edison, etc..

But government schools seem to push the agenda that we should become doctors, teachers, accountants, and environmental scientists, rather than inventors.

Hack
15-01-08, 18:47
In the last 200 years, there have been more products made that cause more pollution. If we are to avoid ending the world due to Global Warming, if that's what is gonna cause the end of the world, then people are gonna need to be able to get along with eachother; Which I doubt will happen.

And people do talk about going to other planets. It will be a very different world then; We might even live in Space one day. There are a lot of fictional movies which involve separating from Earth, and colonising other planets of different solar systems. Our technology isn't yet advanced enough for that kind of travel; And I doubt we will have that technology by the time the world ends.

I don't think our technology is good enough to end the world either just yet. Maybe human civilisation though. I genuinely have faith that we can all get along. Most people in the world are not killing each other, only a small minority of troublemakers. Maybe its our goverments thats need to change. Maybe we have to become a more democratic society that honors its ideals and promises.

Draco
15-01-08, 18:48
If we are to avoid ending the world due to Global Warming

Global Warming didn't end the world before...why would it this time?

Hack
15-01-08, 18:51
Global Warming didn't end the world before...why would it this time?

Climate change cause many species to go extinct during the Earth's history.

JANKERSON
15-01-08, 18:52
Just because there are no humans left doesn't mean the world ended. ;)

The Earth will still be here along time after we are gone.

PARANOIA
15-01-08, 18:52
Climate change cause many species to go extinct during the Earth's history.

But it's not the end of the world, is it? Species die, new ones form, be it interspecies evolution or intelligent design.

And I think we're more intelligent than to sit down and die as the sun assaults our Earth; we would - rather - get some fancy air conditioning.

Hack
15-01-08, 18:55
But it's not the end of the world, is it? Species die, new ones form, be it interspecies evolution or intelligent design.

Its the end of our world, of our civilisation. I think most people use the "end of the world" as figure of speech.

I highly doubt intelligent design happens. If anything, its malignant design :o

PARANOIA
15-01-08, 18:56
I highly doubt intelligent design happens. If anything, its malignant design :o

Intelligent design is a hell of a lot more believable than interspecies evolution.

Hack
15-01-08, 19:00
Intelligent design is a hell of a lot more believable than interspecies evolution.

Where is the evidence?

Who designed the "intelligent" designers?

PoetOfTheLife
15-01-08, 19:02
I agree you,everything will finish one day but i think it is so early:p

Reggie
15-01-08, 19:04
Yes. I believe there will be a doomsday. However it will only prove to be "doom" for something abstract, not a physical destruction as we may typically imagine. Also, I'm doubtful of whether this is a 24 hour thing.

PARANOIA
15-01-08, 19:11
Where is the evidence?

Who designed the "intelligent" designers?

More intelligent designers.

SMSL
15-01-08, 19:15
Its the end of our world, of our civilisation. I think most people use the "end of the world" as figure of speech.
I don't. Earth is a planet after all. Even stars have life spams, however large. The Earth had a begining, it has a life spam, will eventually have an end. I just don't think it will happen during our generation, though, eheheh.

Hack
15-01-08, 19:17
More intelligent designers.

And what tortoise shell did they sit on?

Thats right, the universe must be an infinite matrioska doll :D