PDA

View Full Version : Dentist stories anyone?

EgyptianSoul
15-01-08, 11:53
I'm preparing myself for the removal of 2 wisdom teeth next monday, cause they're crooked and can't fit in with my other teeth. I'm a bit panicked about this since its the biggest thing I've ever had to go through. :o I've only had my teeth straightened a bit as a child, no cavities or anything else ever. Anybody have some good or bad stories to tell about their own dental care history? Just for fun.

Lara's home
15-01-08, 11:57
I don't think it exists 'good' stories when it comes to the dentist.
Its the hour of hell. :/

Angelus
15-01-08, 11:57
I've got an ugly ass filling, but the dentist was really nice and it didn't hurt at all, which I'm grateful for since he had to drill a bigger hole in my tooth.

How does that work out? I've got a hole in my tooth, so he drills it so it's bigger then sticks some silver filling in my mouth.

Obscure
15-01-08, 12:07
I have to have my very first filling tomorrow :cen:

touchthesky
15-01-08, 12:07
I once had to have five needles in my mouth in one trip.
One in every corner and one in the roof...that was not fun.
It was the roof that was worse though.

Angelus
15-01-08, 12:11
My Dad is getting four teeth taken out on Friday! :eek:

Obscure
15-01-08, 12:13

*Cringes*

My mums ex had all his teeth taken out apart from his front tooth at his first trip to the dentists in years and years.

It was around about that time my mum realised things weren't quite working out...

Capt. Murphy
15-01-08, 19:29
One year I bit into an old candy cane. It had gained some resilliance to where it was a bit soft on the outside but still hard on the inside. When I bit down on it it was on my right side - back teeth. It hurt. Bad. So, I said enough of that, and put it away. Later that night I had went to eat some pizza... I think this was on my Birthday, when I turned 27 or 28. So, I'm eating some pizza. Then I feel this sharp sliver on the side of my mouth. At first I kinda wonder what it is. I think that maybe it's just a piece of crushed red pepper. So I go on eating. I keep licking it thinking that maybe it's stuck between my teeth, and go on eating. Then it gets to bugging me too much. I start to worry. So I stick my finger in to pick at it..... Then I realized my tooth was broken. :(

I felt sooo depressed. That was the first time anything like that had happened to me. Months went by, then a year.... I had a habit of sucking on that gaping hole in my tooth. It would make some suction and I could (sorta) cluck my tongue from that little hole in my tooth. And of course keeping food out of it was bothersome. Until, I know it was over a year that had went by that it started to hurt me. So, I finally decided to go to the dentist.

I had the choice of having it pulled or capped/crowned. They numbed my gums and mouth so they could inject the novacaine into my gums. It wasn't that bad, just a slight/momentary stinging. Then the Dentists assistant had to place this small rubber covering over the rest of my mouth and hold it in place with some metal things that went around my tooth.... There was some drilling... Long story short: I ended up with a big white cap over my tooth - that I liked to call 'the marshmallow'. I kept that in for about a week, then came back and a new/more permanant "toogh" was going to be put in. Before, they had taken some molds of my mouth, with and without the fake tooth. It was this purple goop that I had to bite down on... Er, I could be wrong on that.

But, IMO, it wasn't bad at all. I had to have it done anyway.

The Dentist did remark: "I can't see how you're not in real pain." -By how bad my tooth looked. It was dead anyway.

Hack
15-01-08, 19:33

Holy ****! Ouch.

I had that happen when I was only young. They weren't adult teeth thanks be to god. I had a nasty abcess with it to, had to take pennecilin for a week.

Atm, one of my back teeth has cracked open. There is literally a fracture line around the whole tooth. The last dentist I seen did a horrible job of putting in a filling and it weakened the entire structure of the tooth, causing the crack. :mad:

Geck-o-Lizard
15-01-08, 19:50
I have five fillings... they're not bad to get done, though they cost a heck of a lot since I demanded white non-mercury ones for all of them (fifty quid per filling), and couldn't get them through the NHS. Worst part aside from paying for them IMO is getting the filling gunk put in... it tastes & smells so horrible, and feels like it takes ages. >_> Never had a tooth out though.

Voni
15-01-08, 20:26
The dentists aren't that bad, it's just a bit unpleasant, that's all. It's not Frankenstein's lab in there or anything.

By the way, Geck, your avatar is made of win!

NemesisxAngelus
15-01-08, 20:33
Ironic, I have to visit the dentist tomorrow. But here are some stories, they once pulled a teeth. Later after they pulled it and I had braces, they found out they pulled the wrong one. Much later when my braces got removed they saw that pulling my teeth was never worth it. I'm still mad at them for that, it was an extra teeth and it wasn't even worth it.. sheesh. :mad:

Another one was, I had to bite in something awful tasting gel-like thing, I wasn't feeling well already. The stuff got down my throat, and you can already guess it? I threw up. :rolleyes: I still hate to get it done, always I'm afraid that it'll happen again. But every time after I get back from there, I just can't eat or drink for 2 hours, or else I throw up. :o

By writing all this down I get this sick feeling already.. >_<

ben croft
15-01-08, 20:34
I don't think it exists 'good' stories when it comes to the dentist.

Are you sure?? :mis: :mis:

Sedge
15-01-08, 20:48
I really don't know about wisdom teeth but I've had four "normal" teeth pulled out because they.. uh.. didn't fit my mouth. XD And I will have to go get my wisdom teeth pulled out aswell at the moment they appear, according to my dentist.. There's just no space. :pi:
It really isn't that bad, you won't feel any pain though it's not the most comfortable situation to be in, feeling how they "shake" your tooth with that metal.. thing and hearing the sorta "cracking"(though that's not exactly the word I'm looking for.. "ratiseva, ritisevä, natiseva, nitisevä.." err.., but even though you seem to live in Finland I don't know if you speak Finnish so.. uh. Ah well, not important. Makes cold shivers though. XD) sound. O_o But nah, it doesn't really hurt and you won't die, and if it starts hurting afterwards just take some painkillers - you'll be oooookay! ^_^

Seb_01225
15-01-08, 21:04
meh i dont mind the dentist

orthadontists are worse!

eww i hate mine she always makes my gums hurt:(

Vickkyyy
15-01-08, 21:13
well, i have braces,
and my jaw dislocates all the time,
cause once when i was at the dentist, she made me open my mouth TOO wide, and then it like snapped or somthing,
now i cant open it enough to fit even the thinnest hamburger in ):

lmao.
IT SUCKS CAUSE YOU CANT YAWN GOOD ):

jeremyANDROGYNY
15-01-08, 21:30
When I first went to the orthodonist's office they had to keep my mouth open the whole time to put my braces on and when they were finally done they said I could go get a drink. I got up to get one and I looked at myself in the mirror. My lips were so cracked and I looked horrible. Then when they were cutting a wire they actually cut my lip and it hurt so bad. I didn't want to go back.

thecentaur
15-01-08, 21:38
I've had only had a few fillings and i think 3 or four of my teeth pulled out by the dentist. thank god they put the novicane :p

Earthcane
15-01-08, 22:14
Have to admit that I have never had to get any fillings.
(yet.)

(*Knocks on wood feverishly*) :whi:

Bumio
15-01-08, 22:24
dentists are cool :tmb:
though i had one bad memory about em.
when i was little girl, my one tooth started to suppurate , so my mom took me to the dentist. but there was only a young student dentist. he injected me a partial narcosis into my palate, so i wouldn't feel anything. after few minutes he asked me if i can still feel my mouth or tongue. i bitted myself and understood that i can still feel, but i couldnt move my tongue. so i started to bleat and show signs that i still can feel, and he thought that i cant. he said that it will take only a minute, he took a bender and pulled my tooth out. and i felt everything. when i got out i cried all my way home.
but still dentists are cool, im not afraid of them at all :p

Earthcane
15-01-08, 22:33
^ :eek: Well I would be terrified after that! OUCH!!

Bumio
15-01-08, 22:36
^ :eek: Well I would be terrified after that! OUCH!!
ha ha, naaah... :p im more afraid giving blood from vein.... omg, i fainted for three times and still get all white when giving it ;)

star-dust
16-01-08, 02:51
Ha, I used to love going to the dentist.
When I was little I had 3 teeth pulled and
last year I got my wisdom teeth out and I
had 5! (It was really rare.) They let me keep
them too, so when ever people come over
sometimes I whip them out to show around.
:cln:

silver_wolf
16-01-08, 03:51
must be a nice way to break the ice. "These were pulled bloodily from my mouth!"

Evan C.
16-01-08, 04:07
I prefer no to say a thing
Just that the anestecia doesn`t work on me that day :(

DREWY
16-01-08, 04:37
I had a tooth removed. It broke off just above the gum and the dentist had to cut my gum down either side and dig it out. Dig dig, grind.

http://bestsmileys.com/medical/4.gif

You know the drill. Am I 'boring' you yet. (Dentist joke)

tombraider123
16-01-08, 08:30
well, i have braces,
and my jaw dislocates all the time,
cause once when i was at the dentist, she made me open my mouth TOO wide, and then it like snapped or somthing,
now i cant open it enough to fit even the thinnest hamburger in ):

lmao.
IT SUCKS CAUSE YOU CANT YAWN GOOD ):

My jaw is also dislocated, how I did it I don't know, but every morning I wake up and it's stuck and I have to move it about so it's not stuck/

EgyptianSoul
16-01-08, 13:29
My lower 2 wisdom teeth are getting cut out, they'll have to cut them into 4 pieces if I'm correct and them rip them out. The upper pair can stay for a while more still. Yeah, the thing that most scares me is the pain. And I'll just have to see how my body reacts to losing a few teeth. Hopefully the bleeding stops early and I can at least try to eat something soon after surgery. I've bought loads of easy to eat kinda foods, soups, ice cream etc... Everybody keeps telling me that I'll survive this. Ok I believe you. But this still scares me. :)

Aurimas
16-01-08, 13:34

Orionvalentine
16-01-08, 14:12
When I was a little kid the dentist needed to take out one of my teeth. Well, it was a stubborn little thing, so he practically had his knee on my chest and was pulling with such force that the tooth cracked in my mouth and blood spurted everywhere. I have never had so much blood in my mouth at any one time. Safe to say that I changed dentists.

Now I have to go to a special dentist where I am put to sleep for any procedure.

Capt. Murphy
16-01-08, 15:38
Ha, I used to love going to the dentist.
When I was little I had 3 teeth pulled and
last year I got my wisdom teeth out and I
had 5! (It was really rare.) They let me keep
them too, so when ever people come over
sometimes I whip them out to show around.
:cln:
You should make them into a necklace! :jmp:

Greenkey2
16-01-08, 15:47
I'm preparing myself for the removal of 2 wisdom teeth next monday, cause they're crooked and can't fit in with my other teeth. I'm a bit panicked about this since its the biggest thing I've ever had to go through. :o I've only had my teeth straightened a bit as a child, no cavities or anything else ever. Anybody have some good or bad stories to tell about their own dental care history? Just for fun.

I've had my wisdom teeth out in the last two or three years. Normally they come through with no problems, but if they're emerging from your jaw at an awkward angle they can impact your other teeth - and believe me, that hurts.

But having teeth taken out these days is - nine times out of ten - a breeze. I had no pain whatsoever from the removal process - quite the opposite in fact. It was leaving the damn things in that caused the problems! :p

The only 'unusual' thing about my dental history is that one of my wisdom teeth impacted my back molar at (what amounted to) a ninety degree angle instead of straight down. The net effect was that my back molar had part of its root dissolved, exposing the nerve to whatever I was eating and drinking.... I have never felt such exquisite physical pain in all my life :( Fortunately once the damaged molar was also taken out I had no more problems... only the mental note never ever to expect dental problems to sort themselves out if I ignore them long enough ;)

My dentist confessed he'd never seen anything like it, so I guess I should be flattered for being unique :D

EgyptianSoul, don't worry about the pain :hug: Believe me, I was amazed at the lack of it! The anaesthetics they use nowadays are just incredible.

viper456
16-01-08, 15:56
My stories are all the same. Yearly check up, sit in the waiting room for about 45mins, go upstairs, sit in a chair, hear a few letters and numbers, get told "yep they are fine Tom, see you in a year"

*flashes his pearly whites* haha

Never had anything done to my teeth.

Rydell
16-01-08, 15:59
Well this is more about my friend than me. But she went to the dentist with her father. Anyway she was in the chair waiting for him to come in And her father had just watched the last person get a check up. Anyway he noticed the dentist hadn't changed his gloves and was about the put his hand in my friends mouth. Her father was furious.

Voni
16-01-08, 16:09
Well this is more about my friend than me. But she went to the dentist with her father. Anyway she was in the chair waiting for him to come in And her father had just watched the last person get a check up. Anyway he noticed the dentist hadn't changed his gloves and was about the put his hand in my friends mouth. Her father was furious.

My family had a dentist that never used gloves at all, I remember my mum picking him up rather quickly on that. Next time we visited, I noted he was wearing them!

This thread's reminded me I haven't been to the dentist in aaages, I must get registered.

EgyptianSoul
20-01-08, 18:39
A little over 13 hours to wait and then it's time for surgery. I'm still scared. :o But I'll survive, like everyone else who has had teeth taken out. I'll post news on how it went afterwards. I don't really know what to expect, but I'll find out when I see the teeth surgeon. But I guess the wounds will heal quickly if I just keep my teeth extremely clean. :)

Lavinder
20-01-08, 18:51
I can't remember the last time I went to the dentist :o.

Laurencarter
20-01-08, 18:58
I am getting braces tomorrow so I think I shouldn't be reading this thread. But I'm going to anyway.

clairelovestlc
20-01-08, 19:00
I still havent lost my back baby teeth ( im 21) which is a bit random. Other than ive always * touch wood* been lucky with my teeth and never needed to have anything done to them

TR 4 LIFE
20-01-08, 19:21
I have no cavities yet!!! :D

But one time, I had my teeth cleaned....and when the dentist was going checking my teeth, I accidently spit her!!! LOL! but I apologized after!!!

Dark Lugia 2
20-01-08, 19:39
Dentists are scary :o i'm getting four teeth pulld out next year becaue my mouths crowded :( i;ne never had anything like that :s..

Little-Lara
20-01-08, 21:46
Dentist stories, eh? I got one...

I once got leached and screwed out of $600 bucks from a local dentist.
I was talking about one day getting braces and my future wishes for teeth fixings. What THEY did was, they held me to that and started working on fixing me braces RIGHT THEN. :mad::mad::mad: Those :cen: leachers knew I didn't go in for braces, just check up, they knew I wasn't there for braces. But they still acted like leachers and get my money. :hea:

MadCroy101
20-01-08, 21:56
My sisters dentist was stupid, cut a big hole right in her tounge.

star-dust
20-01-08, 22:00
When ever the dentist puts that silly little fluoride thing in my mouth and leaves I take it out and use the sucker to suck up all the fluoride and pop it back in. :ton: There's still fluoride in it, just not as much. That stuff could make me puke, it's nasty! :o:o

EgyptianSoul
21-01-08, 05:46
Okay. About 2 and a half hours still until my wisdom teeth removal. Right now I'm feeling more calm but I might faint when I get to the hospital. :vlol: Actually I hope the surgeon will remove all 4 wisdom teeth so I won't have to have the same operation twice but I'll see what he thinks. Anyway, wish me luck. :)