PDA

View Full Version : Do you give to Charity?

Obscure
15-01-08, 16:40
I sometimes donate to Oxfam but I've always thought about what my geography teacher told me a while ago.

She said:

"Did you know when you give one pound to Oxfam only a tiny percentage actually goes to Africa. The rest goes to legislation fee's and administrative costs"

So I've always thought of charity as basically a Government funding.
What about everyone else?

Do you give to Charity?

NemesisxAngelus
15-01-08, 16:43
No.

Hack
15-01-08, 16:46
I give to Charity, but I'm suspicious that the above case is very true alot of the time.

I'd honestly prefer to give money to a homeless person on the street because atleast you know they are getting every penny of it.

I think Charities shouldn't have CEOs on 100k a year, thats morally abominable. They should be more tightly controlled by the government and their finances should be open to the public to see.

If you want to help the developing world, I'd suggest buying fairtrade goods or volunteering to work as a missionary abroad. Ofcourse, you could always lend a hand to a homeless shelter or a drug rehabilitation clinic.

Geck-o-Lizard
15-01-08, 16:47
Not directly. I sometimes buy books from an Oxfam bookshop in town tho.

Elysia
15-01-08, 16:47
Yep - I have standing orders that go out for my bank every month for Asthma UK (my husband is asthmatic and so there is a good chance any children we have will be, too) and the RSPCA and I also support the Tenovus Cancer Charity (I'm on their subscriber list and their agent comes round every other month to collect my donation in exchange for their booklet - I used to work for them as a teenager (as an agent), so I've always supported them). I did support Friends of the Earth, but for some reason my standing order to them got cancelled and I haven't gotten around to re-sorting it out yet :o.

I know about all the administrative concerns etc surrounding giving to charity, but at the end of the day, if we all thought like that, then they wouldn't get anything... :s

SamReeves
15-01-08, 16:49
Yes. Navy-Marine Corps relief society, Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation, Blue Star Moms, Salvation Army, and California Grey Bears (seniors).

Obscure
15-01-08, 16:50
I know about all the administrative concerns etc surrounding giving to charity, but at the end of the day, if we all thought like that, then they wouldn't get anything... :s

Well if the administrative concerns were true then at the end of the day, Africa wouldn't be getting much anyway regardless of the thousands of money people have donated around

scion05
15-01-08, 16:51
Certain Charities, not CAFOD however.

Elysia
15-01-08, 16:54
Well if the administrative concerns were true then at the end of the day, Africa wouldn't be getting much anyway regardless of the thousands of money people have donated around
Some of the concerns are true... I know of a shipment of single malt whisky that was sent to Africa to bribe rebels into allowing charity workers in (I know this 'cos my Dad was doing a fire inspection of the port it left from, and the shipping manager told him)... but, when it comes down to it, I think too many people use this as an excuse to feel bettter about not helping. I think that if there is even a marginal chance you can help someone in some way, then you should take it. We have such comfortable lives, and I really do feel it is the least we can do.

PARANOIA
15-01-08, 16:55
I'll give money to charities that go straight to people that require the funds, and not to bureaucrats who divide the sums. This means I don't give to UNICEF.

Hack
15-01-08, 16:55

Thats a very good point. Infact, donating to charities like this will make the world more unequal, as the money from your bank account that should have went to Africa will instead go to people with high paying jobs. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer and so on and so forth.:(

Ikas90
15-01-08, 17:03
I would like to give to charity. Sometimes I give money to homeless people I walk past on the streets, and so do many other members of my family.

Forwen
15-01-08, 17:11
No.

I also don't give money to people on the streets who ask for it. I won't be funding booze for bums - if you want food, name it so I may buy it.

Hack
15-01-08, 17:25
No.

I also don't give money to people on the streets who ask for it. I won't be funding booze for bums - if you want food, name it so I may buy it.

Do you drink?

PARANOIA
15-01-08, 17:28
Do you drink?
Oh, don't even bring that argument up.

Hack
15-01-08, 17:36
Oh, don't even bring that argument up.

What argument?

Elysia
15-01-08, 17:51
*sigh* Two pages in and already off topic?

Don't make me turn this thread around...

Jensie17
15-01-08, 18:02
No.

Hack
15-01-08, 18:11
*sigh* Two pages in and already off topic?

Don't make me turn this thread around...

I'm sorry for going off topic. :o

I just disagree with people looking down on homeless folks for drinking when so many fully employed people waste there money on getting wasted too. Its easy to take the moral high ground when your own life is completely comfortable and you have something to fall back on. Its not as if the homeless will not find some way of obtaining drink or drugs without your help. They certainly aren't going to take note of your rejection and decide to turn a new leaf. Perhaps giving them money isn't the best way to solve anything for them but its will make very little difference either way in their miserable condition.

Reggie
15-01-08, 18:12
Yes (occasionally/rarely), I've given to Charity before and I aspire to give more in the future. :)

Forwen
15-01-08, 18:18

I just disagree with people looking down on homeless folks for drinking when so many fully employed people waste there money on getting wasted too.

Ah, and here I was thinking you were nitpicking at the fact that I wrote "food" without "and liquids necessary to survive".

The money fully employed people waste is their own. Two, note I never used the word homeless. There are people out there who turned begging into business and I have no way nor time to verify which is which.

There's no moral high ground here, no attempts at fixing others, just my money.

Elysia
15-01-08, 18:20
I just disagree with people looking down on homeless folks for drinking when so many fully employed people waste there money on getting wasted too. Its easy to take the moral high ground when your own life is completely comfortable and you have something to fall back on. Its not as if the homeless will not find some way of obtaining drink or drugs without your help. They certainly aren't going to take note of your rejection and decide to turn a new leaf. Perhaps giving them money isn't the best way to solve anything for them but its will make very little difference either way in their miserable condition.
In a way, I do, too... but having worked with the homeless (I used to work for the jobcentre), nothing annoyed me more than the sheer number of people out there unwilling to help themselves. If I had a coconut for every time I dealt with a homeless person gwho had been given a shelter / hostel place and was either thrown out of it or refused it because you aren't allowed to drink / take drugs whilst under their roof... I used to give people their benefit giro and then watch them go and squander all of it on drink. I also used to deal with homeless drug addicts who would tell any lie (including one telling me that their mother had died) in order to get their money earlier so they could get a fix.

It's a sad state of affairs... I do give to the homeless, because I do agree with the sentiment that we should always help those less fortunate than we are, but at the same time, I am also very diligent not to give money to those who are already drunk.

xcrushterx
15-01-08, 18:23
Not often.

I do whenever someone asks if I want to buy a poppy, and a few years ago, when the coloured bands were "in" I bought like 1,000,000 (Slight exegeration there :p) of them.

Hack
15-01-08, 18:23
Ah, and here I was thinking you were nitpicking at the fact that I wrote "food" without "and liquids necessary to survive".

The money fully employed people waste is their own. Two, note I never used the word homeless. There are people out there who turned begging into business and I have no way nor time to verify which is which.

There's no moral high ground here, no attempts at fixing others, just my money.

I have high doubts about how people who have turned begging into a "buisness". Definetly not the majority of people on the streets. They are just trying to get by like everybody else. I just give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe there are some con artsists, but the money is absolute buttons to me so I don't care how they spend it.

In a way, I do, too... but having worked with the homeless (I used to work for the jobcentre), nothing annoyed me more than the sheer number of people out there unwilling to help themselves. If I had a coconut for every time I dealt with a homeless person gwho had been given a shelter / hostel place and was either thrown out of it or refused it because you aren't allowed to drink / take drugs whilst under their roof... I used to give people their benefit giro and then watch them go and squander all of it on drink. I also used to deal with homeless drug addicts who would tell any lie (including one telling me that their mother had died) in order to get their money earlier so they could get a fix.

It's a sad state of affairs... I do give to the homeless, because I do agree with the sentiment that we should always help those less fortunate than we are, but at the same time, I am also very diligent not to give money to those who are already drunk.

People are creatures of habit. For the homeless to help themselves out of their postion is like asking you or me to climb everest or change every single apsect of our lives. Even though their postion in life is horrible, they are used to it. Changing everything like that is 98% of the time thats going to fail. Most people can't even keep to a diet plan without caving in less than a week!

Forwen
15-01-08, 18:42
I have high doubts about how people who have turned begging into a "buisness". Definetly not the majority of people on the streets. They are just trying to get by like everybody else. I just give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe there are some con artsists, but the money is absolute buttons to me so I don't care how they spend it.

Depends on region. There's full-fledged begging industry in China or India, in Poland the dole is so low petty crime and begging are the a standard way to fill the holes and even if Western doles are high enough to let bums get by without going on the streets, considering lager is cheaper than water in UK Tesco I still wouldn't hand my money out on an English street.

And well, I don't give benefit of doubt. As I said, if you ask me for something specific, there's a much higher chance I'll get it for you, if not, well... seek out Hack.

Tomb Raider Master
15-01-08, 18:49
Yes, I do.

Paperdoll
15-01-08, 18:49

I've seen people being given food and/or being offered to go to a coffee shop to get some food and they refuse simply because they want the money. I'm sorry, but I won't support anyone's addiction. Besides I've seen way too many "homeless" and "blind" people on the subway, running jumping and, around here where I live, living the good life off of other people's good will.

On-topic now: no. Not because I don't want to, simply because the opportunity never came up.

MiCkiZ88
15-01-08, 18:52
No. If I had more money I would. My parents buy stuff from people that gather money to charity and call in those TV shows that do the same. So in a way they do.

Thorir
15-01-08, 18:54
Yes, sometimes.

george_croft
15-01-08, 19:06
My mom always gives money to charity at least a couple of times a year, and she's taught me to give to the needing ever since I was six years old. We're blessed to have it as it is, we have enough money to give to the needing. And I must say that it's affected me, because I'm already planning on donating a certain sum of money monthly to an orphan as soon as I turn 18. Oh and, every now and then we decide not to buy presents at Christmas, and give the money to charity instead. :)

Betal
15-01-08, 19:07
When I'm at the mall/ store I sometimes have some coins left after. Then I usually put them in the charity things. Not much though.

But most for cancer and help them find anything to stop those things. Almost never too poor people.

Mad Tony
15-01-08, 19:14
Well, occasionally I'll drop some money into those little collection boxes in the convience stores for the veterans, firefighters or St John's Ambulance charities.

My mother gives to WASPA and NSPCC monthly.

PARANOIA
15-01-08, 19:15
But most for cancer and help them find anything to stop those things. Almost never too poor people.

True. If people became poor in the first place, do you expect them to stay prosperous with your money in their hands?

trtrailerman
15-01-08, 19:17
I'm part of dogs trust and wdcs lol. also whenever giving anything away I give to Cancer research in rememberance of my Grandma

Elysia
15-01-08, 19:20
Well, occasionally I'll drop some money into those little collection boxes in the convience stores for the veterans, firefighters or St John's Ambulance charities.

My mother gives to WASPA and NSPCC monthly.
:D

I forgot the Benevolent Fund... I give automatically; my Dad is a fireman and was the South of England Benevolent Fund secretary (before he got his promotion and had to give it up), so we're involved in near enough all the fundraisers for them.

Mad Tony
15-01-08, 19:22
:D

I forgot the Benevolent Fund... I give automatically; my Dad is a fireman and was the South of England Benevolent Fund secretary (before he got his promotion and had to give it up), so we're involved in near enough all the fundraisers for them.My step dad's a fireman :) I'd hate it if her got himself injured or killed while on the job.
They really deserve more, they're always getting screwed over by the government. But that's another story. :p

Voni
15-01-08, 19:22
I used to give to Child's Play when I was earning stupid money in a call centre, now I'm totally skint, so I may just register myself as a charity :p.

Elysia
15-01-08, 19:31
My step dad's a fireman :) I'd hate it if her got himself injured or killed while on the job.
They really deserve more, they're always getting screwed over by the government. But that's another story. :p
Heh, tell me about it... let's just say that Prescott's name is not welcome in my parent's house! (But indeed, that is another topic for elsewhere).

They do such good work - a fireman's pension is not enough to live upon and / or raise a family if he gets injured or killed (or indeed, to help a fireman's family if it's needed. The BF helped one of our lads to get his disabled daughter the equipment she needed to live a comfortable life (sadly she died last year, aged 14) - without it, there was no way her parents could've afforded it, and the NHS deemed it too expensive to spend on one person) - it's criminal, really... there shouldn't *have* to be a charity associated with it.

EgyptianSoul
15-01-08, 19:34
If I had more money, I'd give some to charity. Seeing, hearing and reading about all the people and animals living in poor conditions breaks my heart. :(

Cord_Croft
15-01-08, 19:37
I raise guide dog puppies, so basically that is giving to charity. Giving a blind person sight.

I always put money in the boxes they have out and about...

deepbluesea
15-01-08, 19:40
I don't give to charity i work for them, i a shop selling all donated goods.

Angelus
15-01-08, 19:40
No, I don't. I've barely got enough money to live on for myself.

PARANOIA
15-01-08, 19:41
If I had more money, I'd give some to charity. Seeing, hearing and reading about all the people and animals living in poor conditions breaks my heart. :(

You don't have to be rich to give to charity; take money from rich people. Go to organizational meetings or conventions with a lot of progressive bigwigs, and collect donations for the charity of your choice. It makes them feel good.

EgyptianSoul
15-01-08, 19:42
I'm so sorry for double posting, but. Milking the rich? Hmm. Interesting idea. :D

PARANOIA
15-01-08, 19:44
I'm so sorry for double posting, but. Milking the rich? Hmm. Interesting idea. :D

Try not to dress up as Robin Hood, though. They'll get suspicious.

Hack
15-01-08, 20:12
I've seen people being given food and/or being offered to go to a coffee shop to get some food and they refuse simply because they want the money. I'm sorry, but I won't support anyone's addiction. Besides I've seen way too many "homeless" and "blind" people on the subway, running jumping and, around here where I live, living the good life off of other people's good will.

On-topic now: no. Not because I don't want to, simply because the opportunity never came up.

If they are living such a good life, wouldn't you just swap your postion in society for theirs?

Depends on region. There's full-fledged begging industry in China or India, in Poland the dole is so low petty crime and begging are the a standard way to fill the holes and even if Western doles are high enough to let bums get by without going on the streets, considering lager is cheaper than water in UK Tesco I still wouldn't hand my money out on an English street.

And well, I don't give benefit of doubt. As I said, if you ask me for something specific, there's a much higher chance I'll get it for you, if not, well... seek out Hack.

There also happens to be an incredibley huge amount of horrifcally poor people in India and China living in some of the worst condtions imaginable, where begging and petty crime are their only way of life outside working in virtually slave labour.

I wouldn't apply any higher standards to the homeless than I would to myself. They are in a position of weakness.

Earthcane
15-01-08, 21:13
Will definitely give to charity when I'm older.
I admire the work that Unicef do.

I'd also like to contribute to a number of small-scale charities.

Paperdoll
15-01-08, 21:35
If they are living such a good life, wouldn't you just swap your postion in society for theirs?

I'm talking about particular examples of people from my town (yes it's a small town) that are, unfortunately, blind, have wages and yet feed off of other people's good will for extra cash. And like them, I've seen tons. And yes, they live the good life. But for someone that doesn't know them, they're just poor people begging on the subway for a little money to get something to eat.

I'm not against helping the poor, of course not. I'm against those that pretend to need help, which unfortunately is the majority of them.

Twilight
15-01-08, 22:55
No.

the only donation i ever made was that "click to save" website. because:
1) you don't really know where the money is going for sure.
2) why should u pay when rich ppl hoard money and it just sits there.
3) money + greed= crap.
4) rainforests can't really talk, so i'll click to save it.

people always need more money, money, money, bla bla bla. i have my own issues. i just have no sympathy for that *shrug*

Hack
15-01-08, 23:06
I'm talking about particular examples of people from my town (yes it's a small town) that are, unfortunately, blind, have wages and yet feed off of other people's good will for extra cash. And like them, I've seen tons. And yes, they live the good life. But for someone that doesn't know them, they're just poor people begging on the subway for a little money to get something to eat.

I'm not against helping the poor, of course not. I'm against those that pretend to need help, which unfortunately is the majority of them.

The majority of the poor are liars that don't need any help? I find that slightly hard to believe. Would you gladly swap postions with them, really?

No.

the only donation i ever made was that "click to save" website. because:
1) you don't really know where the money is going for sure.
2) why should u pay when rich ppl hoard money and it just sits there.
3) money + greed= crap.
4) rainforests can't really talk, so i'll click to save it.

people always need more money, money, money, bla bla bla. i have my own issues. i just have no sympathy for that *shrug*

Yeah, some of these people could be running a scam and greed follows were there are large amounts of money. Do you really think your own issues make you worse off than some of the important causes in the world?

SamReeves
15-01-08, 23:16
The majority of the poor are liars that don't need any help? I find that slightly hard to believe. Would you gladly swap postions with them, really?

So you'd like to have bums litter your downtown and defecate in the storefronts? Dollie is spot on in her estimation of who's poor and who's a bum.

Hack
15-01-08, 23:21
So you'd like to have bums litter your downtown and defecate in the storefronts? Dollie is spot on in her estimation of who's poor and who's a bum.

Thats very callous to call a human being litter.

I don't care that much for storefronts, they're just objects. I prefer rights for people.

Twilight
15-01-08, 23:25
Yeah, some of these people could be running a scam and greed follows were there are large amounts of money. Do you really think your own issues make you worse off than some of the important causes in the world?

no, its not that i think i'm more helpless. its that i don't have any sympathy. we can't all be the hero.

nick-xx
15-01-08, 23:27
No, I don't. I've barely got enough money to live on for myself.

Same here, just let the millionaire or billionaire do their job :p.

Hack
15-01-08, 23:30
no, its not that i think i'm more helpless. its that i don't have any sympathy. we can't all be the hero.

no one has to be a hero. :)

Twilight
15-01-08, 23:33
no one has to be a hero. :)

i kno, but what really angers me is when rich millionaire celebrities tell the working/poor to donate. and they get a whole lot of them to do some stupid ad, why don't you get a whole bunch and let them donate. you'll get more money that way.

Hack
15-01-08, 23:43
i kno, but what really angers me is when rich millionaire celebrities tell the working/poor to donate. and they get a whole lot of them to do some stupid ad, why don't you get a whole bunch and let them donate. you'll get more money that way.

Rich celebrities are doing there little bit to protect their part of the pie. See, Rich folks have alot of wealth thats not getting taxed. Bono for example doesn't pay any tax in Ireland because "artists" are exempt from taxes.

People might start question why these people's massive fortunes are not getting taxed enough, so its important that they show that they care by helping out charities, so on and so forth.

Ofcourse, some celebrities might genuinely believe in the causes they are promoting, but I can't help think this is also a factor. There is a system of private profit to maintain, and these folks have a massively unequal ammount of wealth compared to everyone else.

:confused:

DREWY
16-01-08, 00:08
Thats very callous to call a human being litter.

I don't care that much for storefronts, they're just objects. I prefer rights for people.

It's all very noble from where we stand, but some 'bums' or homeless people ARE there by choice. Here in OZ you can get the dole and housing and all you have to do is agree to look for(and hopefully find) work. Some would rather be homeless than have to work. Or like to have no responsabilties. Hard to believe? Only if you look at the situation from our point of view rather than theirs. Different mentality.
Other homeless people are there for other reasons, such as mental problems or a want to 'drop out'.
Personally, I would never give a homeless people money. A meal, yes but not money.

Yes I give to the blind, kids cancer and the heart foundation. I realize not all the money probably goes there, but every bit helps.

Hack
16-01-08, 00:27
It's all very noble from where we stand, but some 'bums' or homeless people ARE there by choice. Here in OZ you can get the dole and housing and all you have to do is agree to look for(and hopefully find) work. Some would rather be homeless than have to work. Or like to have no responsabilties. Hard to believe? Only if you look at the situation from our point of view rather than theirs. Different mentality.
Other homeless people are there for other reasons, such as mental problems or a want to 'drop out'.
Personally, I would never give a homeless people money. A meal, yes but not money.

Yes I give to the blind, kids cancer and the heart foundation. I realize not all the money probably goes there, but every bit helps.

On the contrary, I'm really trying to look at the situation from their point of view rather than ours. Who is going to realistcally employ you when your homeless? Probably not very many, esp if you have mental, drug or drink problems.

Everybody on this planet is a creature of habit. You try to keep hold of you niche. I could turn a new leaf tomorrow and try to become a super successful buisness man, but I'm not going to. It would be like trying to climb everest. The chances are that I would fail miserabley. People don't like the idea of a 99% failure probablilty, so they don't generally try to change their entire lives. Homeless people fall into the habits that work for them because even if its miserable, makes them sick, its familliar.

Its not just a case of they are too lazy. Some people like to comfort themselves with this idea about the homeless so they have to feel guilty.

I'm not saying that its the wisest idea to give the homeless money that they might mispend, but I'm not going to judge them for it. Alot of people mispend their money on things they shouldn't have. Helping out at a homeless shelter is probably a better idea.

Melonie Tomb Raider
16-01-08, 00:28
I give money to my church, and part of that goes to missionaries. There's also funds we have for the people who need financial help.

Hack
16-01-08, 00:29
I give money to my church, and part of that goes to missionaries. There's also funds we have for the people who need financial help.

Thats cool!

DREWY
16-01-08, 00:34
On the contrary, I'm really trying to look at the situation from their point of view rather than ours. Who is going to realistcally employ you when your homeless? Probably not very many, esp if you have mental, drug or drink problems.

As I noted above:
Here in OZ you can get the dole and housing and all you have to do is agree to look for(and hopefully find) work.
Note I am talking about Australia. I can't speak for other countries.

Its not just a case of they are too lazy. Some people like to comfort themselves with this idea about the homeless so they have to feel guilty.

Not all are lazy. Just as not all have no choice.

Alot of people mispend their money on things they shouldn't have

True. I know I do, and I have a home.

Helping out at a homeless shelter is probably a better idea.

:tmb: Can't argue with that.