PDA

View Full Version : Want to Move!

tombinator
15-01-08, 19:42
i really really wanna move to USA after i finish university!
i just want to know how easy it is to move from the uk to the u.s, with or without a degree(if i pass, it'll be a math's degree, prob doesn't help much tho) from someone that has experience with it. thanks for any help, i would firstly like to go out there for a few months working, to see if i like it. so maybe get a short stay visa, first of all.
but yeah, if anyone has done this kinda thing, please, any info is welcome, thanks.

USP
15-01-08, 19:53
Just don't come in illegally, we hate that.
I actually think many employers like international degrees. What university are you at?

Mad Tony
15-01-08, 19:57
Well, I want to do the same thing, and I've looked into it a fair bit and what I'm planning to do is what my dad did and work my way up in a company - an international one obviously (well, my dad moved to Australia but I hear there isn't a lot of difference between moving to the US and moving to Australia).

Good luck :)

DickDan
15-01-08, 20:23
I accultly want to move to canada a few years time. Gonna try and start my life again on the right foot. It's been a few hard years for me. finally getting my life back on track. but yeah, i need to find out the proper channels for moving country. I just don't know who to speak to or whatever :confused:

VonCroy360
15-01-08, 21:03
I accultly want to move to canada a few years time. Gonna try and start my life again on the right foot. It's been a few hard years for me. finally getting my life back on track. but yeah, i need to find out the proper channels for moving country. I just don't know who to speak to or whatever :confused:

I'm quite interested in Canada myself.
You might find this (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/) site helpful.
I also quite like the way they count you in points - your education, language knowledge etc. are all presented by points, and if you meet basic requirements and have enough points, you're very welcome (atleast from what I heard about it). I'm also interested in maybe spending a year in a university there, which definitely would be a great experience if you plan to move. :)

Mad Tony
15-01-08, 21:14
I'm also interested in maybe spending a year in a university there, which definitely would be a great experience if you plan to move. :)That's something I want to do but with America. Dunno how I would go about it. Can you do a college exchange?

VonCroy360
15-01-08, 21:42
That's something I want to do but with America. Dunno how I would go about it. Can you do a college exchange?

Yup, I guess that's the way to do it. Some universities are connected to ones in other countries and they often exchange students. The embassies here sometimes offer one or two semester scholarships as well.
The ideal way would be to actually study full time there, but that would be a bit more complicated.

:)

calico25
15-01-08, 21:49
well, i am doing something similar, but i am getting my dual citizenship with the UK and am thinking of moving to the UK for a while. But, I have spent alot of time growing up and in my adult life in the UK and i have family and friends there. So its a bit easier for me to get my citizenship and make the move. Plus it helps that I work for a company that is international and i speak daily with the UK branch and could easily transfer there to work.

You might have some problems just being patient when coming to the US. The whole process is a pain in the ass and we make it very difficult and time consuming to get the proper visas and whatnot.

I would try as mentioned earlier and look about studying abroad with your school first to get your feet wet in the US. I know at the University i went to here in the US, we had alot of students from the UK and France on our campus every semester.

Punaxe
16-01-08, 17:53
I'm hoping to study abroad for a while, and the USA obviously has some outstanding universities. I just hear it's tremendously hard to get in, and even if you manage that, they cost a fortune . . .
But, exchange is probably the easiest way to get to the USA for a while, with all paperwork being taken care of by both universities :)

PARANOIA
16-01-08, 18:02
If you march in through the Mexican border you'll get preferential treatment. Seriously.