PDA

View Full Version : FAO: All Members - Anyone got a really fast upload connection?

tlr online
16-01-08, 05:54
Hey folks. I need 30Gb of material uploaded to a new download server we are mobilising. In the UK, most ISP's cap upload speed to 40kps, so uploading 30Gb would take around 2 weeks. Could anyone with high speed internet and familiar with FTP help me out?

Thanks.

EscondeR
16-01-08, 05:56
Can it be split by some parts?

tlr online
16-01-08, 06:05
Can it be split by some parts?

Not sure what you mean? What I need is as follows. The contents of one of our satellite download servers downloaded via FTP, and then re-uploaded to our new U.S. network provider. The integrity of the directory structure must remain intact.

I'm looking for someone with an uncapped LAN connection. Even broadband or DSL would be too slow.

EscondeR
16-01-08, 06:11
Then I doubt I can help ATM, sorry :( Still have no optical line at home...

The integrity of the directory structure must remain intact.

That's not a question I was just interested if it could be done in several separate sessions: e.g. 30% of structure today+30% tomorrow+40% day after :) or as one big sack of info.

Necromanser
16-01-08, 06:50
200kb/s is my upload speed.I know real slow.

Betal
16-01-08, 07:17
How can I know the upload speed?

I only know the whole speed is 100 mbit/s but dunno the upload speed.

Necromanser
16-01-08, 07:22
Use this-

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Betal
16-01-08, 07:31
I could only connect to the U.S.

to new york it's 568 kbps and download speed 5081 kbps.

It should be possible to connect to Europe too.:p

NightWish
16-01-08, 07:47
I dont know nut in general my connection is ok... so I can do it if there is some underworld eyecandy there :p

Jacen
16-01-08, 10:12
We've got a pretty fast connection at the university, and I'd love to help you out, but unfortunatly I don't know the first thing about FTP. :(

EDIT: I did a quick test on speedtest.net

results: Amsterdam (http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/Jacen_Album/speedtest_Amsterdam.jpg) up:13131 kb/s down:25705 kb/s
Salt Lake City (http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/Jacen_Album/speedtest_Saltlakecity.jpg) up:804 kb/s down:5560 kb/s

A rather strong dependency on the location apparently.

nick-xx
16-01-08, 11:26
200kb/s is my upload speed.I know real slow.

I could only connect to the U.S.

to new york it's 568 kbps and download speed 5081 kbps.

It should be possible to connect to Europe too.:p

^ Still slow in 568kbps (that is aprox 71KB/s), it will need 117 hours aprox only running at full speed.

Then I doubt I can help ATM, sorry :( Still have no optical line at home...

That's not a question I was just interested if it could be done in several separate sessions: e.g. 30% of structure today+30% tomorrow+40% day after :) or as one big sack of info.

^ It can be done, we can compress it first, then split it and then upload it, after this we can extract it in the server. So everyone can upload their own part speeding the up this :).

EscondeR
16-01-08, 11:47
Nice idea, but could be complicated for one who installs ;) They (let's say server side) can deny inflating and concatenating parts via FTP.

Punaxe
16-01-08, 16:36
tlr, I could go to my university and help you out there.
Depending on how long it would take, I have either one of these options:
- A symmetrical line of ~12 megabyte per second (that's megabyte, not megabit!) up and down, available to me only during working hours
- A line that handles about 800 kilobyte (not bit) up, available to me 24/7. I have a second laptop on this line that I don't really use a lot, so I could leave this running for a while.

Edit: you should've gotten a location with FXP ... :p

Necromanser
16-01-08, 20:58
@nick-that's the real speed I upload with,I tried it out a few times.

nick-xx
16-01-08, 21:50
You mean in KB or Kbits ?

ben croft
16-01-08, 21:58
My internet speed is 608 Kbps... don't know about upload speed.

:wve:

Little-Lara
17-01-08, 05:36
I have cable shared by two comps, If you give me some instructions maybe I could be helpful. It's pretty fast, but not the best best.

Necromanser
17-01-08, 05:46
You mean in KB or Kbits ?
Kilobytes.

tlr online
17-01-08, 05:52
tlr, I could go to my university and help you out there.
Depending on how long it would take, I have either one of these options:
- A symmetrical line of ~12 megabyte per second (that's megabyte, not megabit!) up and down, available to me only during working hours
- A line that handles about 800 kilobyte (not bit) up, available to me 24/7. I have a second laptop on this line that I don't really use a lot, so I could leave this running for a while.

Edit: you should've gotten a location with FXP ... :p

That would be most awesome. Could you PM me? Thanks very much!