PDA

View Full Version : I want to change my last name

DickDan
17-01-08, 00:50
Currently my my last name is "Lane" but my father disowned me when i was 10, now that i'm 17 i want to change my last name to my mum's maydian name which is "kinnear". Now I need some questions answered:

1. have any of you changed you name? how easy is it?
2. is there a age limmit?
3. does it cost anything?
4. how long does it take?
5. any websites that can help me?

thanks for any help here.

P.S: I live in the U.K

Evan C.
17-01-08, 01:05
I have no idea :S
I`d like to call myself..."Gaylord ****er"....haha,no,i really dont :P

thecentaur
17-01-08, 01:08
:yik:

your dad disowned you? why?

Evan C.
17-01-08, 01:11
Haha it was a joke,but i don`t like my last name...

Genocide
17-01-08, 01:16

1. I haven't, but a friend of mine recently changed her name from Lisa-Marie to Angel-Marie, according to her it was pretty simple
2. As far as im aware the age is 18, unless its done by your parents
3. 50 (I think)
4. not quite sure
5. http://www.ukdps.co.uk/

Shark_Blade
17-01-08, 01:51
I think you should go to the govt dept where you do your ID card.

aquaflute
17-01-08, 04:02
I remebered on episode in Friends where Phoebe changed her name to something like a "Banana Princess"... It appears that you can change your name to whatever you want.

The only case I'm aware is that Koreans have to follow their birth father's last name no matter what, that's part of their law. So if you are not Korean it shouldn't be a problem.

DickDan
17-01-08, 10:12
:yik:

your dad disowned you? why?

Becuase he is an ******* (he walked out on my mum on mother day of all things)

1. I haven't, but a friend of mine recently changed her name from Lisa-Marie to Angel-Marie, according to her it was pretty simple
2. As far as im aware the age is 18, unless its done by your parents
3. 50 (I think)
4. not quite sure

Thanks for the info/site. Will check it out :hug: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Obscure
17-01-08, 10:55
Currently my my last name is "Lane" but my father disowned me when i was 10, now that i'm 17 i want to change my last name to my mum's maydian name which is "kinnear". Now I need some questions answered:

1. Yes, yes I have and it's extremely easy to do.
2. No. It's actually cheaper if your young.
3. Yes. 50 Pounds but that depends on your age.
4. A few weeks.

P.s. : I hated changing my last name. I reverted back to my old last name after a few months. It's so confusing and messed up my records.

rowanlim
17-01-08, 11:00
I don't know how to help you, but I'd just say that your mom's maiden name is beautiful...is it Celtic or something? :)

DickDan
17-01-08, 11:04
I don't know how to help you, but I'd just say that your mom's maiden name is beautiful...is it Celtic or something? :)

It is accultly, I prefere it over my current name

rowanlim
17-01-08, 11:33
It is accultly, I prefere it over my current name

I would too...I think I'm getting off-topic! :p

Good luck with your name change! Fully supported! :) :tmb:

DickDan
17-01-08, 11:34
I would too...I think I'm getting off-topic! :p

Good luck with your name change! Fully supported! :) :tmb:

:o thanks ;) :tmb: :hug:

knutroald
17-01-08, 15:09
Sorry, I have no idea how to help. I'll ask my mom later, she changed hers:) Good luck on changing your name.

Obscure
17-01-08, 15:15
If you really want to do it then go for it but beware!
I changed my name a few months ago and it was great at first but very confusing. People would call you by your other name and you just felt like shouting into them "THATS NOT MY NAME!" after a while. Well anyway... I changed my name because someone had the same name as me in the area (daft I know) and I felt like I had had my identity stolen.
I changed my name during school times and ended up being given wrong exam papers etc due to my name change and soon began to regret it. When people would call me by my new name I used to resent it and soon began telling people not to call me it anymore because it was so frustrating and annoying and now I have two identities. I've reverted back to my old name and love it more than my other one.

If your really keen to do it then I wish you all the luck but remember just like there are good sides to things there are also many bad ones too.

ben croft
17-01-08, 15:59
Good luck there, DickDan :tmb:

:wve:

Grenade
17-01-08, 16:06
Good luck and it's so sad to hear that he left you you're mother. :( I'd love to help you but I don't really know anything about this issue sadly. :)

EgyptianSoul
17-01-08, 16:12
I've changed both my first and middle names. Didn't cost me a thing but I was an "exception" in the system. :D I think changing your last name is more complicated.

dinahcat
17-01-08, 16:26
Currently my my last name is "Lane" but my father disowned me when i was 10, now that i'm 17 i want to change my last name to my mum's maydian name which is "kinnear".

no help here...American...but i wanted to throw my hat in the ring in support.

I think that's a very honorable thing to do! It shows your true sense of self, along with a love for your mom that transcends name alone. GOOD FOR YOU! I wish you the best, and hope this goes easily for you! :hug:

... I changed my name because someone had the same name as me in the area (daft I know) and I felt like I had had my identity stolen.

Imagine this...I have the same name (first AND last) as my sister-in-law! At family gatherings for the last 8 years we've been called "Amy-wife" and "Amy-sister". I can't WAIT until she get's married and changes her last name!!!

Capt. Murphy
17-01-08, 16:37
I say go ahead and change your name if you want to. But some day you'll need to forgive your father. Even if he doesn't deserve it. Be a bigger man.