PDA

View Full Version : Urban myths: Ghosts stories or true facts?

la-la-lara
17-01-08, 20:16
Person Trapped In Cemetery Overnight Dies

Urban Legend: A person makes a bet with their friends that they can spend the night in a cemetery and are is found dead in the morning in the arms of a graveyard statue.

What It's About:
A person makes a bet with a group of friends that he or she (more often it's a she) can spend the night in the cemetery. The person is found dead in the morning, laying across the arms of a large statue, usually of an angel with it's arms out-stretched. This legend also included a statue of an old woman seated with her arms out stretched, a woman standing with her arms out-stretched. Variations on this are: as an initiation into a gang, a fraternity or sorority or into a high school clique. The dead person is found dead with no sign of injury or has also been found to be sitting on the lap of the seated statue with crushed ribs, presumably by the arms of the statue. But the end result is always the same, the person is dead in the arms of the statue.

Origins:
This legend has been told as having happened in various parts of the United States but no true origins can be found.

Do you believe this stuff?
I'm a realistic person, I don't believe in ghosts or dead spirits visiting the living, but now I'm wondering: It is said that urban myths do concern true incidents.

Still, for me they are myths. :hea:

But they 're not exactly like ghosts stories. There is an explanation regarding the case above: A person spending the night in a cemetery can be driven mad and harm itself, maybe? It's like a person that is afraid of darkness to be locked in a room with no light, like I did once. Some overcome their fear, some don't. I don't know. Or is there no explanation? :confused:

Do you no any other urban myths that may have true origins?

Perhaps the thread's a little meaningless, but I'm wondering what you know about urban myths.

USP
17-01-08, 20:18
I'm pretty sure people have spent nights in cemetaries before and left unscathed.

Elysia
17-01-08, 20:18
I went to a seminar (Fortean Times Unconvention) in London about Urban myths... fascinating stuff. Basically balls (the guys (all university professors) admitted as much) but fascinating nonetheless.

TombFreak
17-01-08, 21:59
Thats creepy!

Some belive the Lochness to be true, and I believe it. I mean it could be a mutation os some lake creature, or maybe a prehistoric animal that lived on! :eek::yik:

spikejones
17-01-08, 22:00
This legend is actually similar to a story that I wrote (stole the idea from someone after they told me) and I won a ghost story competition at school.

In my story, however it was a girl wearing a dress who made a bet with her friend about spending the night in the cemetery. She decided to take a knife with her to protect herself, and during the course of the night she heard a noise caused by the wind in the trees, got scared and turned to run away. However, she dropped the knife through her dress and it stuck into the ground. She thought that something had grabbed her from behind and try as she might, she could not get away. Early in the morning, she was found dead by her friend. She had literally been scared to death!

An event such as this (as well as your version) quite possibly did happen. However, being a legend, the details were most certainly changed as it is passed along, to make it more scary/mysterious sounding. Therefore, it would be difficult to figure out the event that the story is based upon, without knowing definitively where the event occurred and checking not only public records, but with long time locals who would remember.

thecentaur
17-01-08, 22:02
you should really change the title of the thread to:
"General Paranormal Myths Appreciation Thread"
or something similar. That way, you can occomodate everything about the paranormal and the world beyond. :D

I, personally think that all this is a hoax. But when i first read this, i thought there was something about a ghost. Maybe it is, maybe not

Obscure
17-01-08, 22:05
Ghosts have been around before me and you. If it was so false as to be untrue then why are the rumours of ghosts still around us today?

One of the earliest known ghost "sightings" in the west took place in Athens, Greece. Pliny the Younger (c. 63 - 113 AD) described it in a letter to Licinius Sura: Athenodoros Cananites (c. 74 BC – 7 AD), a Stoic philosopher, decided to rent a large, Athenian house, to investigate widespread rumors that it was haunted. Athenodoros staked out at the house that night, and, sure enough, a disheveled, aged spectre, bound at feet and hands with rattling chains, eventually "appeared". The spirit then beckoned for Athenodoros to follow him; Athenodoros complied, but the ghost soon vanished. The philosopher marked the spot where the old man had disappeared, and, on the next day, advised the magistrates to dig there. The man's shackled bones were reportedly uncovered three years later. After a proper burial, the hauntings ceased.

If no one believed in them then why has the Ghost mystery lasted until today, until this very thread even.

To answer your question, yes yes I do believe in ghosts and they believe in me too. *Gets out ouiji board*

Bumio
17-01-08, 22:06
ghosts are real, but i dont think that they, or any other "higher" power had something to do with this... im sure it was a fault of the person himself, or someone else

thecentaur
17-01-08, 22:07
** that's "ouija" board ** :D

too bad i don't have one.

silver_wolf
17-01-08, 22:24
I used a ouija*coughgatewaytohellcough* board once. creepy. Anyway, I definitley believe there's truth in some paranormal occurences.

McGloomy
17-01-08, 23:16
I love those stupid stories that appear on Youtube comments all the time:

please don't read this!
In 1945,a young girl named katu lata kulu came over to America in a grey boat from Africa. A mysterious man killed her by cutting the word "LATUALATUKA" into her back. now that you have read this measge she will come to your house on a full moon and steal your soul unless you follow these directions:
1. Retype this message as a comment for three other videos

n 1876, a young girl named Jenn was walking down a river, an insane man killed her by stabbing her in the back, raping her, and then hanging her in his closet. While he hanged her he said Bukakke Bukkake.
Now that you have read this message, she will find you and her dead body will haunt your house for 5 years. Every night you go to sleep she will appear in your closet, hanging their with her glowing red eyes.
repost 3? times to be saved

Especially the "Bukakke Bukkake"-part. :D

TombFreak
18-01-08, 00:03
I hate those, thats called chain mail. Bunch of crap really. Someone commented that the origin of the chain mail came from a person that joined to start it. Probably banned him by now. ;)

Obscure
18-01-08, 00:08
n 1876, a young girl named Jenn was walking down a river, an insane man killed her by stabbing her in the back, raping her, and then hanging her in his closet. While he hanged her he said Bukakke Bukkake.
Now that you have read this message, she will find you and her dead body will haunt your house for 5 years. Every night you go to sleep she will appear in your closet, hanging their with her glowing red eyes.
repost 3? times to be saved[/I]

Especially the "Bukakke Bukkake"-part. :D

His closet is in a river? I smell homeless tramp wafting this way.

Beanz
18-01-08, 00:11
^^ :vlol:
Chain mail scares me... :(

SMSL
18-01-08, 00:17
Chain mail scares me... :(
Bukkakke!!!

Encore
18-01-08, 00:23
I used a ouija*coughgatewaytohellcough* board once. creepy. Anyway, I definitley believe there's truth in some paranormal occurences.

I noticed something funny, when people that study these phenomenons they end up realising most of the ghost stories people tell are hoaxes. However, every single one of them is always warning that ouija boards are serious and shouldn't be used as a toy. If they say that it's because there's SOMETHING about them? Anyways they creep me out.

I also believe in certain paranormal phenomenon, it's a big possibility that there are other dimensions or parallel universes and that anomalies occur that make these other dimensions ocasionaly "touch" ours. Or something like that.

Science is great at debunking hoaxes, but when something unexplainable really does happen they just kinda sweep it under the carpet.
I think these phenomena should be studied more and that means they should be taken more seriously, unfortunately all the hoaxes end up screwing the credibility of these possibilities.

Edit: as you can see something seriously paranormal has just happened with the post above me. :pi:

SMSL
18-01-08, 00:29
*Snaps out from evil possession*

What's this ouija boards you guys keep talking about?

Encore
18-01-08, 00:53
http://shadowzone.com.sapo.pt/Ouijiwie.png

Basically you put your hands touching softly an object (like a glass for example) on the surface of that board and use it to communicate with spirits, you ask a question and suposedly the spirit answers by dragging the object towards the letters or the other sections.It sounds like a load of bull**** but I've heard all sorts of people warning against superficial use of this thingie so it kinda scares me.

Pipolinne
18-01-08, 00:57
A fact,obviously: for two years than I'm showing you ( yeah,that's my pic,the avatar) I'm a woman-bat-creature,obviously a vampire,living on a cemetery and you still question urban myths :ohn:!

:D

Lol,SMSL,why the shock? :vlol:

SMSL
18-01-08, 01:06
Mod. Edit: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=116425

Aaaah! Mate, how come you live in Portugal and don't know the ouija board of the poor people? No board, 1 plastic glass up side down, tiny squares of paper with "yes" and "no" on opposite sides of the glass, the algarisms and the alphabet on a circle around the glass and a star outside the circle. Makes the same effect, no bloody board needed.

Lol,SMSL,why the shock? :vlol:
It was a possession! :mis:

digitizedboy
18-01-08, 01:07
That guy in the top left hand corner of that ouija picture looks like one of the Mario brothers.

BTW. the name oui-ja derives from the word yes in the languages French and German respectively.
I used to use it a lot, but instead of the board I used pieces of paper with just the letters only and a glass on a table.

Encore
18-01-08, 01:08
Aaaah! Mate, how come you live in Portugal and don't know the ouija board of the poor people? No board, 1 plastic glass up side down, tiny squares of paper with "yes" and "no" on opposite sides of the glass, the algarisms and the alphabet on a circle around the glass and a star outside the circle. Makes the same effect, no bloody board needed.

Oh I know that, but it's still called a ouija board, even if it's hand made. ;) The image is just an example.

PARANOIA
18-01-08, 01:14
The Red Cross blood drive is a pyramid scheme engineered by Dracula and his evil minions.

SMSL
18-01-08, 01:14
In Portuguese, it's just "The Glass Game", so I had no idea it had those fancy foreign names. Meh, Ouija! Boo!

The Red Cross blood drive is a pyramid scheme engineered by Dracula and his evil minions.

Oui, I know. I went there to offer my neck, but Dracula said I was too stiff to gnaw on.

Genocide
18-01-08, 01:23
in 1876, a young girl named Jenn was walking down a river, an insane man killed her by stabbing her in the back, raping her, and then hanging her in his closet. While he hanged her he said Bukakke Bukkake.
repost 3? times to be saved

HA...jokes on them, I Don't have a closet!
As for the ghost stories...I believe some of them are based on true events...and others (95%) are just complete bull****!
And when it comes to the oiuja board...I don't dare use one, my dad told me he used one once with his ex-wife and a couple of mates back in the late 70's, what he got was pure evil, and scared the **** out of him (which isn't an easy feat) I have reason to believe because he's not one for telling lies or messing about...or having any kind of fun for that matter

thecentaur
18-01-08, 01:35
on the ouija board pic, does the man next to the "yes" look like Mario? :ton:

TombFreak
18-01-08, 02:17
Really, he looks like Mario!

Encore
18-01-08, 02:31
If the glass slides to the Mario icon, it HAS to mean something. :eek:

TombFreak
18-01-08, 02:33
Yeah, it means your plumbing is going to go bad.

thecentaur
18-01-08, 02:33
^^ :vlol: LOL!!!!
or bowser's going to take your princess :p

TombFreak
18-01-08, 02:34
Yeah, then you need Boo to get her back!

Encore
18-01-08, 02:47
Yeah, it means your plumbing is going to go bad.

ahahah :vlol: that made my day

TombFreak
18-01-08, 03:00
Wait! Some one should make that board and see if it lands on the Mario Pic and their septic system backs up!

spikejones
18-01-08, 04:21
...... when it comes to the oiuja board...I don't dare use one, my dad told me he used one once with his ex-wife and a couple of mates back in the late 70's, what he got was pure evil, and scared the **** out of him (which isn't an easy feat) I have reason to believe because he's not one for telling lies or messing about...or having any kind of fun for that matter

Sounds like fun. I always wanted to play with a ouija board, but I don't think anyone would want to play with me:(

star-dust
18-01-08, 04:24
Sounds like fun. I always wanted to play with a ouija board, but I don't think anyone would want to play with me:(

I'd play with you. :wve: I've always wanted to try one myself. :D

danitiwa
18-01-08, 05:54
Thats creepy!

Some belive the Lochness to be true, and I believe it. I mean it could be a mutation os some lake creature, or maybe a prehistoric animal that lived on! :eek::yik:

Or someone sitting in a Machine, like in Scooby Doo. :vlol:

And I would have gotten away with it! If it weren't for those meddling kids! :ton:

vespertea
18-01-08, 06:11

Lmao. Those things are crazy. My bro's friend had some insane experience with one.. wish I knew the full story.

Survival
18-01-08, 08:37
I didnīt really believed in ghosts until my first experience with one... I doubt anyone is interested in the full story so this is all I will tell unless anyone is interested.

TombFreak
19-01-08, 00:54
Tell Tell Tell!!!!

I want to know! I love good ghost stories!

PS the Scooby Doo thing! Thats on e cute Great Dane. Want a Scooby snack?

Encore
19-01-08, 00:58
Survival, I would be VERY interesting to hear it. :)

thecentaur
19-01-08, 01:31
will pay (not really) if you tell story :p :D

SMSL
19-01-08, 01:33
I didnīt really believed in ghosts until my first experience with one... I doubt anyone is interested in the full story so this is all I will tell unless anyone is interested.
If you mean ouija board experience with ghosts... are you sure it's ghosts that you messed up with? Don't take me wrong, I have my ouija board tales too, given I used it till I gained the notion I was playing with stuff that wasn't exactly under my control, but I can't say for sure it's ghost related. It's supposed to contact a ghost, but can you be sure of what exactly you're dealing with? Because I sure as hell couldn't in my day.

Survival
19-01-08, 10:50
If you mean ouija board experience with ghosts... are you sure it's ghosts that you messed up with? Don't take me wrong, I have my ouija board tales too, given I used it till I gained the notion I was playing with stuff that wasn't exactly under my control, but I can't say for sure it's ghost related. It's supposed to contact a ghost, but can you be sure of what exactly you're dealing with? Because I sure as hell couldn't in my day.

Not exactly, I was always aware of the "Dangers" of Quija board (Two people getting nosebleed simultaneously etc. was enough for one time and I wasnīt part of the "act" I was in another room when it happened).

The main problem was that my best friends brother started acting really weird... weird stuff started to happen... well it was one hell of a weekend. Not to mention Iīm into paranormal stuff and urban exploration... something had to happen sooner or later.

Sorry for being so cryptic but Iīm not sure if this is a good place to write everything down... (PM me if you are interested).

la-la-lara
19-01-08, 11:13
I found a similar story:

A person is dared to spend the night in a crypt in a local cemetery and is found in the morning totally insane and their hair has turned snow white. This one can vary from biker club initiation, fraternity or sorority initiation or a dare between a group of kids. It takes place usually in an gated above ground crypt. The person is locked in with the dead and left over night. No one knows what actually happens to said person because they never speak again, their hair turns snow white and they go insane.

That IS hard to believe...

Obscure
19-01-08, 11:16
Ouija Board stories.
I know quite a few myself.

My mum and her friends years and years ago when they were in Brownies made and played a Ouija board (with some a4 paper) well this girl (who my mum didn't know) was moving her hands about pretending to get messages when all of a sudden the glass they were playing with fell on the floor and smashed. They packed up and went home for the night and then a few weeks later the girl who was holding the glass when it smashed, drowned in the sea.

Coincedence probably but still quite a creepy story.

My favourite ghost story scared me for ages and there are pictures to prove what really happened. (It didn't happen to me. It's one of those famous ghost stories)

I'll go look for it on google. It would probably be able to tell it better.

Nannonxyay
19-01-08, 12:59
Has anyone, tried saying Bloody Mary three times in the mirror at midnight...Or say Biggie Smalls like in South Park. :vlol:

Tthe Spirit
19-01-08, 14:07
Well i think it is true about gins and devils walking around.
But not spirits of dead people...

Dark Lugia 2
19-01-08, 15:05
Hehe, that board thingy has a pic of luigi on it! :vlol: and tbh I dont see how that would work. So if i printed out this board and used a glass this thing would 'work'? (not that i think it would) just asking. :p

Survival
19-01-08, 15:35
Hehe, that board thingy has a pic of luigi on it! :vlol: and tbh I dont see how that would work. So if i printed out this board and used a glass this thing would 'work'? (not that i think it would) just asking. :p

You donīt have to print out anything, just gather pieces of paper, write aphabet and numbers on them and use glass.

Dark Lugia 2
19-01-08, 16:05
Yeah I know, but would you think it would work on it if i printed it out? :p i have no intention of using it, just wanna see if it would 'work' that way :p

Sir Croft
19-01-08, 16:15
Mod Edit: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=116425

lol at the Mario joke! :vlol:

Some friends at school used to play that after class. I never got the guts to play it. :p

Has anyone, tried saying Bloody Mary three times in the mirror at midnight...Or say Biggie Smalls like in South Park. :vlol:

:vlol:
I tried that! Nothing happened! :vlol: