PDA

View Full Version : Which language is the easiest to learn?

Soma Holiday
17-01-08, 23:45
As much as I've tried to avoid it, I'm going to have to take a language next semester, but I'm always busy so I wanted something easier...

My options are German, Chinese, Arabic, and Italian.

I've taken some French and Spanish before and I don't like them, so I wanna take something else...leaning towards the first two the most...

so...hows German? I've taken some Chinese, and I kinda like it, but I wanna see what german's like, unless its too hard.

thanx :o

Hack
17-01-08, 23:55
I would guess that Italian is probably the easiest.

Arabic is really cool but has some sounds and letters in it that are very hard for westerners to pronounce properly

Quasimodo
17-01-08, 23:56
Troll :D

Indiana Croft
18-01-08, 00:00
You're so lucky. My school only offers German and Spanish:mad: Before I die, I want to learn Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Latin, Chinese, and French:) Looks like that probably won't happen:mad:

I would take Chinese. Most widely spoken of the four

Thorir
18-01-08, 00:12
For English speakers, Swedish is widely concidered the easiest to learn.

Vertigo
18-01-08, 00:48
English and Spanish

Beanz
18-01-08, 00:49
I take German and that's pretty easy :D

jeremyANDROGYNY
18-01-08, 00:56
Besides English I'd probably have to say German. I'm taking it this year and it amazes me how easy it is.

nick-xx
18-01-08, 01:56
English, and Latin

kooky
18-01-08, 02:01
Besides English, Spanish & French. :) Russian, Arabic, Kazak, Hindi & Punjabi are difficult languages for me to learn. :hea:

Evangelina
18-01-08, 02:04
Yeah, Germans pretty easy, alot of people can speak it.

Arabic is hard, my mum can speak it and I know about 2 words from listening to her but reading it is like, woah!

rowanlim
18-01-08, 02:53
I'd say from your choices, Italian is the easiet :)

Endow
18-01-08, 02:57
As much as I've tried to avoid it, I'm going to have to take a language next semester, but I'm always busy so I wanted something easier...

My options are German, Chinese, Arabic, and Italian.

I've taken some French and Spanish before and I don't like them, so I wanna take something else...leaning towards the first two the most...

so...hows German? I've taken some Chinese, and I kinda like it, but I wanna see what german's like, unless its too hard.

thanx :o

What's your mother language?

If it's english I'd go with German.If it's a Romance language, Italian.

For Chinese and Arabic I have no clue but I know I would learn Chinese since it will become the lingua franca in 50 years or so.

Conway
18-01-08, 02:57
I'd say Spanish would be easy, at least for me. My native language is mostly based on Spanish.

Endow
18-01-08, 02:58
I'd say Spanish would be easy, at least for me. My native language is mostly based on Spanish.

PM me your native language Conway, please. There's a good chance I might have a beef with ya :)

CAISACO
18-01-08, 03:22
Spanish and English.

Chiki Mina
18-01-08, 03:41
Um, I guess Spanish. Well, I am a native Spanish speaker :p. It's my first lang. Also Italian. Since it's a bit similar to Span.

TombFreak
18-01-08, 03:53
Well, if you know spanish, Italian is really easy.

Why are all these people saying German is easy?! My dad said it's super hard, guess it depends on the person.

MiCkiZ88
18-01-08, 03:56
German, Spanish & Italian are pretty easy IMO.

Personally I'd love to learn more Hebrew.

Soma Holiday
18-01-08, 05:34
My mom is English all the way through haha, and so am I. I've taken a little French, Spanish, and Chinese, but I really didn't have good teachers. I must say that I'm in the college level right now, and I'm sure they are much harder than what I'm used to...that's why I'm wondering.

I listen to alot of wumpscut and rammstein haha...so I'm leaning toward german just because it sounds so intricate, but like I said, I want something easy lol, but judging by this thread it looks like different people find different languages easier haha, so I'll probably just have to experiment and see what comes most natural haha.

:D

danitiwa
18-01-08, 05:39
It depends on the languages you already speak, my mothertongues are Serbian and Swedish, so German and slavic Languages are the easiest for me to learn.

Soma Holiday
18-01-08, 05:47
like I said...we are basic English-speaking American's haha, with no prior language interaction...so what would be best in this case?

danitiwa
18-01-08, 05:48
like I said...we are basic English-speaking American's haha, with no prior language interaction...so what would be best in this case?

British or Australian. :vlol:

Sorry, that was a pretty bad joke. i think German or italian are pretty easy. One language I DON'T recommend is French.

Soma Holiday
18-01-08, 06:15
British or Australian. :vlol:

Sorry, that was a pretty bad joke. i think German or italian are pretty easy. One language I DON'T recommend is French.

Haha! How about Canadian! lol. I LOVE that language!! lol, plus my dad's mom is from canada! lol...

:ton:

yeah, I don't like french...too many conjugations. haha

vespertea
18-01-08, 06:17
My native language is English, and Spanish was pretty easy to learn. That's the only second language I know, though, so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

Sir Croft
18-01-08, 06:57
Definetely English, it's really easy, Spanish is kinda easy too but I don't like it. :p But I have to say that Portuguese is the hardest! There are a lot of little details, the gramatic is really complex!

la-la-lara
18-01-08, 08:25
German was hard for me to learn.

I'd recommend English, Italian, or French.

Little-Lara
18-01-08, 08:55
Besides English, Spanish & French. :) Russian, Arabic, Kazak, Hindi & Punjabi are difficult languages for me to learn. :hea:

That is because with English, Spanish and French, have a lot in common. I never studied French, and I already know I could be good at it.

With Russian, Arabic, Kazak, Hindi/Punjabi, you are all over the place.

Maybe you can take up a language after deciding which will be the most beneficial. ;)

RAID
18-01-08, 10:01
I always found Italian pretty easy. I've been able to speak it since I was three.

Necromanser
18-01-08, 10:33
German.It's a bit similar to english.

Reggie
18-01-08, 10:46
German was hard for me to learn.

Same for me. I find all the gender issues really really confusing and I still can't manage it properly to this day which has a knock on effect with pretty much my entire skill at the language. Hopefully I can work it.

Japanese on the other is really good because once you nail it, you really do nail it - its just a matter of working past the initial barrier of writing which is easily solved if you just learn Hiragana. Katakana and Kanji will simply supplement your knowledge of the language. Definitely a good one IMO.

Rexie
18-01-08, 13:14
For English speakers, Swedish is widely concidered the easiest to learn.

ditto :tmb:

Earthcane
18-01-08, 13:30
Is Sign language considered difficult to take up??

Benguitar
18-01-08, 14:48
GAME TALK! That is easiest to learn

lol,rofl,lmao,wtf,noob,own,pwn you get the idea. :D

Soma Holiday
18-01-08, 15:06
Same for me. I find all the gender issues really really confusing and I still can't manage it properly to this day which has a knock on effect with pretty much my entire skill at the language. Hopefully I can work it.

Japanese on the other is really good because once you nail it, you really do nail it - its just a matter of working past the initial barrier of writing which is easily solved if you just learn Hiragana. Katakana and Kanji will simply supplement your knowledge of the language. Definitely a good one IMO.

I really wanted to take Japanese, but that's the one language that they don't teach here...wth? :(

hmm...decisions decisions...I've got a few months to pick, so...

Ilie_Fusarau
18-01-08, 15:20
English and Spanish

^ I second that :tmb:

mizuno_suisei
18-01-08, 15:21
Well. I can't really judge because I can only speak English and Japanese. I don't think their is an easiest Language.

tampi
18-01-08, 16:15
The first that you learn :p

Veronica Ma
18-01-08, 16:32
Haha! How about Canadian! lol. I LOVE that language!! lol, plus my dad's mom is from canada! lol...

Oh, I don't know about that! Have you any idea what a "touque" is? :vlol: Or what about a "loonie" or a "toonie"? :vlol:

Tomb Raider Master
18-01-08, 16:36
English IMO.

tomblover
18-01-08, 16:37
Swedish is really pretty easy. :) Simple grammatics though you may have to bother with , and sounds. :)

I guess I shouldn't really be talking since I'm Swedish myself but oh well. :p

ThomasCroft
18-01-08, 16:45
Spanish is really difficult ... I'm taking it for GCSE and I'm really struggling. Probably because I'm flat-out thick in that subject, though, so don't rely on what I say!

Noodleboy
18-01-08, 17:36
I think English is pretty easy.
I also think that German is pretty easy to learn, but it sounds a lot like Dutch, so it may be easier just for me :p

EgyptianSoul
18-01-08, 17:41
English must be the easiest language in the world. I think it is.

Evan C.
18-01-08, 17:44
Yes,and spanish too.French isn`t difficult neither...
The difficult maybe japanese or chinese,but i`d like to learn.:)

Endow
18-01-08, 17:51
Yes,and spanish too.French isn`t difficult neither...
The difficult maybe japanese or chinese,but i`d like to learn.:)

I don't know about chinese but I found japanese pretty easy. If you take into account there are no irregular verbs, that there isn't a future tense and that there's no plural (trees and tree is the same word) the only problem is the character system.

NemesisxAngelus
18-01-08, 17:56
I think English is pretty easy.
I also think that German is pretty easy to learn, but it sounds a lot like Dutch, so it may be easier just for me :p

I totally second that. :D

Drone
18-01-08, 17:58
Spanish is the easiest one

spider-pig
18-01-08, 18:09
Spanish (lol, im portuguese so its almost the same)
And i found English veeeery easy

Punaxe
18-01-08, 18:51
Well it depends on the languages you already do speak and are familiar with. What are they?

From the ones you mentioned I think German is the closest to English, although it has four cases and conjugations for nouns.

Marija_Croft
18-01-08, 19:19
Well, for me all the Slavic languages are very easy to learn. ;)

lafree
18-01-08, 19:34
Well I never had problems in English it's actually my best and favorite subject in school :D So i say it's the easiest to learn for me. Besides that I'd say Spanish!

godmodder
18-01-08, 21:00
I'd say the language that's the easiest to learn depends on your background. If your mother language is of a certain family like roman/slavic for example than it'll be much easier to learn a language that's part of the same family. This is because there are more similarities to your mother tongue that makes it easier for your brains to build complex sentences quicker. A good way to learn more languages, at least for me, is to start with the languages they speak in your neigbouring countries and then work your way outwards.

Jensie17
18-01-08, 21:28
English imo

Reggie
18-01-08, 21:38
Actually I'm guessing that English is a pretty hard language. The most commonly learnt as a second language, yes but not necessarily the easiest by a long shot.

jamieoliver22
18-01-08, 21:41
English only seems easier because so many people know it. What makes it harder is that we tend to abbreviate things quite a lot and have the same words that have multiple means when used in different contexts, which makes it harder for people to grasp it.

Reggie
18-01-08, 21:44
^Indeed.

21 Reasons Why The English Language Is Hard To Learn:

1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was
time to present the present.
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18) After a number of injections my jaw got number.
19) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

jamieoliver22
18-01-08, 21:48
My point exactly ^ - it would be hard for non-English speakers to grasp that.

MrBear
18-01-08, 21:54
Troll :D

:p

Since you've mentioned Spanish, Italian would clearly be the easiest to dig into, but if you're getting tired of it, perhaps German is the one to go for.. but it really depends on your native language.. are you British? Phonetically, German will perhaps give you some trouble with certain sounds, and you'll also experience a higher degree of grammatical rules compared to English... (I haven't studied French as you, but I'm guessing it's a lot like Spanish.. if that is so, German is more dependant on grammar than French)

Another thing to consider about German is that it has some weird sentence constructions, but after a while you get used to it :)

matrix54
18-01-08, 21:56
American English is way to hard(i can bearely speak it) but I'd have to say Spanish.

kill bill
18-01-08, 22:00
Irish is kind of easy learning:)

MrBear
18-01-08, 22:12
^ Did you even read the original post? Gaelic isn't a choice in this specific situation...

Soma Holiday
18-01-08, 22:36
Why do you guys keep recommending English?! lol, I speak English, I can't take that as a foriegn language! haha :p

AmericanAssassin
18-01-08, 22:37
English and Spanish

I've heard, on hundreds of accounts, that those are the two most difficult languages to learn... :p

Reggie
18-01-08, 22:38
I know, I know. I just wanted to dispel the myth.
As a personal recommendation I would say go for Chinese. It sounds different, exciting, a bit exotic but an exciting challenge nonetheless. :tmb: