PDA

View Full Version : Data of 600,000 lost in UK laptop theft!!

nick-xx
18-01-08, 23:39
LONDON (Reuters) - The personal details of up to 600,000 people were lost when a Royal Navy officer's laptop was stolen in the latest embarrassment to hit British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

The Defense Ministry said the laptop, containing personal information about people who had joined the Navy, Marines and Air Force and from people keen to join, was stolen from the officer in the central English city of Birmingham.
The timing could not be worse for Brown, currently on a trade visit to China and India. He is seeking to put behind him several government blunders that have seen his popularity plummet in opinion polls.

In November, details on 25 million child benefit claimants were lost by the Revenue and Customs department and a week later information on three million learner drivers went missing.
Last month, it also was revealed that medical records had disappeared at some health trusts.
In the latest case, entries on the stolen computer included family and passport details which could be used by fraudsters bent on identity theft.
Police said the theft was being "thoroughly and professionally investigated" by their officers in conjunction with the Ministry of Defence...

More here. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080118/ts_nm/britain_defence_dc)

Necromanser
18-01-08, 23:41
Really hope they find the thief.Sounds like it's a band of people doing it and it wasn't a random theft.

Mad Tony
18-01-08, 23:46
Doesn't surprise me anymore. The people who hold the sensitive data of this country seem to be so incompetent in handling it.

And this kind of affects me personally, as my brother is in the Royal Navy.

Nice one, Gordon Brown. What a great government you have here.

Necromanser
18-01-08, 23:50
Doesn't surprise me anymore. The people who hold the sensitive data of this country seem to be so incompetent in handling it.

And this kind of affects me personally, as my brother is in the Royal Navy.

Nice one, Gordon Brown. What a great government you have here.
If you're going to blame anyone blame the people who were looking after the laptop and records.

raiderfun
18-01-08, 23:51
The governement has lost details about 600,000 persons.
I must say it's extremely dangerous for them, I mean they're risking a lot !
Hopefully, they catch the thief ! :o

Mad Tony
18-01-08, 23:53
If you're going to blame anyone blame the people who were looking after the laptop and records.Oh, I blame them too. But Gordon Brown just doesn't seem competent enough to run this country. Hence all the loss of data this country has suffered recently.

ThomasCroft
18-01-08, 23:55
If you're going to blame anyone blame the people who were looking after the laptop and records.

Not so easy to do considering the government controls the security precautions involved in holding such sensitive personal data. The guy who had the laptop shouldn't have been allowed to make it so accessible, in other words. The Data Protection Act states that all automatically processed personal data must be kept secure; clearly the government has some issues in conforming here.

Jeez, Gordon Brown's going to be sweating it.

Mad Tony
18-01-08, 23:58
I guess we should look on the bright side of all these blunders: It gives the Conservatives an even bigger chance of getting in power come the next general election.

Necromanser
18-01-08, 23:59
Oh, I blame them too. But Gordon Brown just doesn't seem competent enough to run this country. Hence all the loss of data this country has suffered recently.
Bush doesn't run his country any better.

TombFreak
19-01-08, 00:02
Bush doesn't run his country any better.

Totally. I really don't like him. " Don't beat around the bush "

Hack
19-01-08, 00:03
Thats very disturbing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_national_identity_card

I heard that by 2013, everybody in Britain will be forced to have an ID Card that can contain virtually unlimited amounts of information on individual citizens. All this info will be contained in a National Identity Register.

Mad Tony
19-01-08, 00:03
Bush doesn't run his country any better.Where does Bush come into this? If you hadn't noticed, we're talking about the situation regarding data loss in the UK, nothing to do with the US.

Necromanser
19-01-08, 00:06
Where does Bush come into this? If you hadn't noticed, we're talking about the situation regarding data loss in the UK, nothing to do with the US.
You seems to idolize the man.You say that Brown isn't competent enough just look at Bush,the amn's an idiot.I wont argue any more since I don't want to see junior member under my name.

Mad Tony
19-01-08, 00:07
You seems to idolize the man.You say that Brown isn't competent enough just look at Bush,the amn's an idiot.I wont argue any more since I don't want to see junior member under my name.I don't idolize him. :wve:

Don't you think we should get back on topic and start talking about stuff related to British politics?

Necromanser
19-01-08, 00:09
I do and I stated it in my post.