PDA

View Full Version : New advancement: Bionic vision through contact lenses

Conway
19-01-08, 09:30
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7960/bionicontactsmw5.jpg

Imagine if you could have bionic eyes that gave you a display overlaid over your vision. You could see information about things that you were looking at, just like the Terminator. It sure would make life more interesting, wouldn't it? Too bad it's all a fantasy.

Or is it? Researchers have developed bionic contact lenses that contain tiny electric circuits and LEDs that would allow for just such a display to be possible. You could have a personal heads-up display giving you info at all times, or video game makers could create totally immersive worlds that you view right through your own eyes. The lenses are currently still being worked on, so don't expect to see them anytime soon, but the technology is there. It's only a matter of time.

http://dvice.com/archives/2008/01/bionic_vision_c.php

vespertea
19-01-08, 10:06
...Wow.

The video game thing is cool and all, but I'm more excited about how it would affect every day life. Time, date, GPS, contact info, weather, news, etc. Hope we get to experience this in our lifetime.

Rexie
19-01-08, 10:13
:eek:
*wants those*

NightWish
19-01-08, 10:16
I WANT THOSE LENSES!!!! :jmp:

Alex Fly
19-01-08, 10:18
Incredible ! :eek:

Rivendell
19-01-08, 10:21
Can't wait! :D

Conway
19-01-08, 10:24
...Wow.

The video game thing is cool and all, but I'm more excited about how it would affect every day life. Time, date, GPS, contact info, weather, news, etc. Hope we get to experience this in our lifetime.
Yeah, you said it! Seriously, I'd program in my sched for uni so I wouldn't be lost what floor I'm supposed to be in in my building. :o

Really can't wait for this, although I'm sure it'll cost A LOT if ever.

rowanlim
19-01-08, 10:33
Wow...technology is really incredible...thanks for sharing! :tmb: :)

Jacen
19-01-08, 10:40
Amazing :eek:

I want those :D

Gambit37
19-01-08, 10:41
How do you turn them on and off? :)

ivannnnn
19-01-08, 10:47
How do you turn them on and off? :)
Just remove it with your finger, perhaps?

That's not lying?

Greenkey2
19-01-08, 10:47
That's pretty darn impressive :eek: As a contact lens wearer I'm always interested in new advances, but this takes the biscuit for sheer potential. Just... wow.

Librarian
19-01-08, 10:48
*worries for privacy*

... impressive, though.

xcrushterx
19-01-08, 11:08
Wow, I want some! :D

Necromanser
19-01-08, 11:15
Technology is advancing so fast.If I had one of these goggles,a force feedback vest(simulates bullets and crashes),one of them shock thingies and a top notch PC I'd never stop gaming.Imagine fragging someone as if in real life and slashing up orcs in WoW or palying crysis.

Thorir
19-01-08, 11:44
Cool. :D

tampi
19-01-08, 11:54
I find this a bit controversial.
Recently, a German company (Tomarni GmbH) sells pills to video gamers.
They claim that improves the senses and enhance the capabilities of the player.
I don't want to imagine where can follow this path. :confused:

But maybe I can put this lense in my right eye,....poor :o

EgyptianSoul
19-01-08, 11:58
Reading this, maybe someday people will be made into Human/robot hybrids (flesh and metal mixed up). It would be crazy. :cln:

MiCkiZ88
19-01-08, 12:01
*slight panic attack*

.. I want them.

Conway
19-01-08, 13:02
I've just considered the possibilities, and the first thing that came to mind was having your own real-life menu system. Imagine: having your own ring inventory accessible only to your vision by using some sort of remote control perhaps like an iPod. :cln:

Punaxe
19-01-08, 13:22
Well I've been working on similar HUD-technology in the past, and I've dismissed the possibility to actually project something onto our current vision because of the huge difference in focal points it would take.
Test it for yourself: you cannot see things that are closeby sharply together with something distant. Either one you will have to see double.
On top of that, our eyes cannot focus on something as close to us as a contact lens.

I would be very interested in hearing what solution they found... I think all they could do is vague awareness-lights, but not the actual VR that is proposed in the article.

kill bill
19-01-08, 13:25
I want them. Lets hope they make bionic legs so you can run fast lol

Necromanser
19-01-08, 13:31
I want them. Lets hope they make bionic legs so you can run fast lol
Don't count on it for a few decades.A bionic exoskeleton has been made but it weighs 2 tonnes and is only good for carrying heavy objects and it has to be plugged in to a power supply.

nicola1986
19-01-08, 13:34
I think VR contact lenses would be cool, imagine actually being Lara :D

badboy70
19-01-08, 13:39
Don't count on it for a few decades.A bionic exoskeleton has been made but it weighs 2 tonnes and is only good for carrying heavy objects and it has to be plugged in to a power supply.I saw on Television some Chinese people made bionic arms. You only have to wear a thing on your back and put your arm through it :p

Anyway, bionic eyes would be awesome :D
unless someone hacks them...