PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Question?

marcocatena
19-01-08, 21:58
Im making a Tomb Raider game using CryEngine2 Sandbox2, and a friend of mine is recreating a Lara Croft model for the game. Is it illegal to do this or not?

Thanks in Advance :)

nick-xx
19-01-08, 22:02
^ i think if its not for commercial purpose, no.

knutroald
19-01-08, 22:11
Its legal as long as you in no way what so ever make money off of it or claim its yours.

Twilight
19-01-08, 22:13
Its legal as long as you in no way what so ever make money off of it or claim its yours.

? i think you can say u made it, but as long credit what u made it from.

Quasimodo
19-01-08, 22:16
? i think you can say u made it, but as long credit what u made it from.

e.g. by stating that Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are the intellectual property of Eidos/SCi Entertainment.

Larson_1988
19-01-08, 22:18
e.g. by stating that Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are the intellectual property of Eidos/SCi Entertainment.

AND Crystal Dynamics and Core design! ;)

knutroald
19-01-08, 22:18
What I meant was you can say you made it, but you can't say you own the rights for Tomb Raider nor Lara Croft.

Twilight
19-01-08, 22:19

i meant u can say "This is a lara model i made. i do not own her. lara croft is owned by Eidos and the program is CryEngine2 Sandbox2." rite?

Quasimodo
19-01-08, 22:19
AND Crystal Dynamics and Core design! ;)

There's lots of leashes on our poor Lara, eh? :p

TRF
19-01-08, 22:22
I agree with "knutroald"... As long as you don't make money out of it and says that you "owns" them, you being legal...

Larson_1988
19-01-08, 22:26
There's lots of leashes on our poor Lara, eh? :p

Yes, indeed it is. But it's very important that you credit Eidos interactive, Crystal Dynamics and if necessary Core design for your work. But just to be on the safe side i would have contacted Eidos directly. And if you get a no, well. At least you did the right thing and asked beforehand!

abraham
20-01-08, 01:32
Can you do this? its a FPS engine, its not desgined for third person shooter...

amiro1989
26-01-08, 17:51
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

I want to see!

amiro1989
26-01-08, 17:52

BTW, someone made a racing game with the Sandbox 2, that means you can tweak things ;)

theguy92
26-01-08, 21:56
I shouldn't really worry about it. Just state that you don't own Lara as a character. :o

Tomb Raider Master
26-01-08, 22:55
Thread moved to General Chat section.

Zelda master
26-01-08, 23:44

Uhmm... since when is Tomb Raider a shooter...?
Ignoring Legend ofcourse...!

Dingaling
26-01-08, 23:54
You are actually supposed to ask Eidos for permission if you're using their property in any way but most companies (including Eidos) are usually fine with you using their property as long as you respect it and do not say you own it.

So as long as you put something like this:

"While I made this model of Lara - Tomb Raider, Lara Croft, their names and all associated characters are intellectual proprties, copyrighted and trademarked to Eidos Interactive, Crystal Dynamics and Core Design. We are using their property for non-profit use."

Something like that will make sure you're safe but you should be fine as long as you don't make her nude and you're not making the game for profit :).