PDA

View Full Version : First Church of the Jedi - opening in Wales

Rivendell
21-01-08, 11:52
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1315/yodart7.jpg
They have seen the light (saber)

TWO brothers, both Star Wars fanatics, are planning to open what they believe will be the worldís first Jedi church Ė in Holyhead.

Siblings Barney and Daniel Jones want to use an old convent in the town as a meeting place for Britainís 400,000 Jedi Knights.

Hairdresser Barney, who is known as Master Jonba Hehol, said he is considering hiring the Ucheldre Centre for monthly services teaching Darth Vader-style mind control and lightsaber techniques.

Daily Post News (http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2008/01/21/they-have-seen-the-light-saber-55578-20373388/)

:D

Carbonek_0051
21-01-08, 11:55
OMG! Sounds interesting, I am a huge star wars nerd...

Thanx Riv:hug:

Necromanser
21-01-08, 11:55
Something tells me you're going to go there.

Rivendell
21-01-08, 11:56

Nah, it's too far away :p I would if I lived nearer though! ;)

Carbonek_0051
21-01-08, 11:56

Hahahaha I soooo wish....

I live in the US

But sooner or later going over seas

Geck-o-Lizard
21-01-08, 11:57
Oh man. Scotland needs one. :D

Rivendell
21-01-08, 12:04
It's getting one in Glasgow apparently!

Carbonek_0051
21-01-08, 12:05

GRRRRR:hea:

US needs one, I hope this idea picks up and it spreads...:)

Cochrane
21-01-08, 12:07
Sheesh. Jedi don't have churches, they have temples. That's why it's called a Jedi Temple, after all. Complete morons.

Seriously, though, fun idea. Beats any other organized religion I've ever seen right from the start (even including pastafarians).

interstellardave
21-01-08, 12:09
Sometimes I consider myself a nerd... and then things like this pop-up that enable me to clearly separate myself from the true nerds! :ton:

Geck-o-Lizard
21-01-08, 12:22

Woo! I'm so going. At least once, anyway. :D

disneyprincess20
21-01-08, 12:28
Wow! All hail the force! How often do we have to go to services?

DREWY
21-01-08, 12:30
Nah, it's too far away :p I would if I lived nearer though! ;)

Shouldn't that read "too far, far away"? :D

And I can't even say "only in America..."

UkJediChurch
21-01-08, 13:31
Hello all from the Uk Church Of The Jedi

We are happy to answer any questions here and also you can email us at [ Removed ]

Also the reason we use the term Church is because no one would take us seriously as a temple and people can identify more with the term church.

Good Point Tho :)

Kind regards.

Master Jonba & Master Morda Hehol , Uk Church Of the Jedi

Drone
21-01-08, 13:48
Didn't know that Jedi have "churches"

MrBear
21-01-08, 13:55
Shouldn't that read "too far, far away"? :D

bu-dum-tssch :D

Interesting initiative, though :)

tampi
21-01-08, 13:59
Hello all from the Uk Church Of The Jedi

We are happy to answer any questions here and also you can email us at [ Removed ]

Also the reason we use the term Church is because no one would take us seriously as a temple and people can identify more with the term church.

Good Point Tho :)

Kind regards.

LOOOOOOOOOL

:wve: Can I use the sabre for cut the bread????? :D

Cochrane
21-01-08, 14:16
LOOOOOOOOOL

:wve: Can I use the sabre for cut the bread????? :D

It toasts bread while you slice it!

bloodstormaoa
21-01-08, 14:21
Sometimes I consider myself a nerd... and then things like this pop-up that enable me to clearly separate myself from the true nerds! :ton:

Lol! Ditto :p

Rivendell
21-01-08, 14:28
Kind regards.

Wow :eek: Hello there :wve:

Just a couple of questions really: As the sessions only seem to be once a month, how many visitors / people do you expect you'll get at each one?

I remember reading a while back about other practitioners of "Jediism", and how their philosophies were similar to that of other belief systems like Hinduism and Zen Buddhism for example. Would I be correct in assuming that the Jedi church you have established follows the same type of ideas?

:wve:

Agent 47
21-01-08, 14:37
hmmm *anger mode*

and people think they have a right to insult Trek fans simply for being fans :mad:

at least Trek fans don't have a Klingon High Council :ton:

*i had a classic communicator once, sold it for profit* would love a movie era uniform jacket though :(

meh!!!

Admles
21-01-08, 15:22
This is awesome.

Although the Jedi Order is not a religious sect

Greenkey2
21-01-08, 15:46
Well, I'd rather people looked up to following Jedi ideals than some of the televangelist bigotry and extremist sects already blighting the world ;)

One thing worries me though:

ďWe donít have a god as such so you canít blaspheme.

So what do you shout when you accidentally scorch your fingers with the lightsaber or nearly crash trying when Anakin drops onto your speeder? "Bantha poodoo!" just isn't satisfying enough IMO.

Cochrane
21-01-08, 15:56
In the Extended Universe, "Sithspawn" is a word used rather often for such occasions. At some occasions, "Kessel" or "I'll be kesseled" are used as well.

Agent 47: Did the communicator actually work? Otherwise it's no fun.

AmericanAssassin
21-01-08, 16:59
Oh. My. God. Today is the day that I know there is something seriously wrong with the world. :vlol:

Lara Croft!
21-01-08, 17:41
That is too much.....

danitiwa
21-01-08, 17:52
I'm moving there first thing tommorow. :eek: :p

Draco
21-01-08, 17:53
It would probably end up being the most sensical religion out there.

Cochrane
21-01-08, 17:54
Oh. My. God. Today is the day that I know there is something seriously wrong with the world. :vlol:

Well, they don't hurt anyone, and (if you ignore the "fighting with super-sharp, extremely hot swords" part) the jedi culture puts a huge emphasis on peace and love for all beings. Better that than scientology or any other religion in extreme form. Also, whoever is member of this "church" will not try to impose his religious views on you because he knows for a fact that his religion is based in fiction.

I think we need more people who claim to be Jedi.

danitiwa
21-01-08, 18:02
Well, they don't hurt anyone, and (if you ignore the "fighting with super-sharp, extremely hot swords" part) the jedi culture puts a huge emphasis on peace and love for all beings. Better that than scientology or any other religion in extreme form. Also, whoever is member of this "church" will not try to impose his religious views on you because he knows for a fact that his religion is based in fiction.

I think we need more people who claim to be Jedi.

I still don't get what's so bad about scientology though. :confused:

But yes, Jedi religion deffo is another one that embraces the most important beleifs.

Rivendell
21-01-08, 18:07
Also, whoever is member of this "church" will not try to impose his religious views on you because he knows for a fact that his religion is based in fiction.

Indeed. It seems to be more of a faith based on energies and meditation.

As quoted by their official website, regarding the point you mentioned:
Jedi Doctrine

The Jedi church has no official doctrine. The Jedi church recognizes that all people have an innate knowledge of what is right and wrong, and the Jedi Church celebrates this like no other religion. The basic concepts and ideals of the Jedi religion were introduced by the fictional Star Wars movies. However, these concepts were quickly and readily recognized by many people throughout the world as being a religion that they could more readily ascribe to than traditional religions.

Basic concepts of the Jedi faith that we at the Jedi Church would like to promote are the following:

The Basic Concepts

There is one all powerful force that binds the entire universe together. It is "an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together". This is a concept that most religions of the world concur with. Some refer to it as their deity, some refer to it as a life force, but the one thing nearly all religions agree with, is that there exists a single unifying force.

There are 2 sides to the force, the dark side and the light side. "Beware of the dark side... The dark side leads to fear. Fear leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering". Good versus Evil is a common element through most religions. The issues of good versus evil, right versus wrong permeate through the doctrines of all religions. Most religions attempt to state what is right and wrong, to establish their moral code. Sometimes religions make codes that don't reach a great consensus. Outsiders, and sometime insiders, begin to judge their religious code by something more powerful, something more innate, an innate ability to know what is right and wrong. This is the Jedi's belief, that morality, good and evil, are all axioms of the force, and that we must listen to the force so that we will know the right thing to do.

Can good exist without evil? The Jedi believe that good and evil are only axioms of the all powerful and unifying force. The force contains all that is good and all that is bad. We all are free and sentient beings who have the capability to do good or evil. It is our choice of direction that determines if we do good or evil. The existence of good and evil is necessary for freewill.

Is the Jedi religion fiction? Many religions claim to be the one and only true religion, thus necessitating that all other religions are fictitious. In addition, although many religions claim to speak the word of God, but the truth is they are only the written word of prophets or followers of the religion. There is no way to prove or deny that what was written was the word of God. Several other religions openly admit that their text is not the word of God, and that it is only a prescribed behavior or a philosophy of life (e.g. Buddhism, Scientology). Most non fiction is a discussion of science and life, of things that can be observed, quantified and readily challenged for its truth and authenticity. But not religion. Any religion put to scrutiny is merely words on paper, with no ability to confirm its authenticity. The Jedi church makes no denial that its name and terminology originates from a fictitious past, but the concepts and ideals that are identified by Jedi followers are known for their innate truth. The sun existed before it was given a name, and it could be revered as a God, however, when the sun finally had a human name, it could be written about and communicated with others. The Jedi religion is just like the Sun, it existed before a popular movie gave it a name, and now that it has a name, people all over the world can share their experiences of the Jedi religion, here in the Jedi Church.

Cochrane
21-01-08, 18:09
I still don't get what's so bad about scientology though. :confused:

Scientology requires submission under a strict core set of believes, many of which clearly contradict modern free democratic values (for example, scientology ideology expresses the wish that non-scientologists won't be allowed to marry anymore in the world they hope to create). It's also known to treat the human rights of it's members very, very badly, and be extremely agressive towards it's opponents.

For these reasons (and others), it's on the watch list of the german Verfassungsschutz (Constitution Protection), an agency that has the job to watch organizations that aim or appear to aim to overthrow the fundaments of the german constitution. In my opinion, this means it's allowed to officially say that Scientology is Evil.

vespertea
21-01-08, 18:47
Wow. That's almost as embarrassing as an anime convention. :[

Pipolinne
21-01-08, 19:09
This is so...well,so senseless.

Why,if they're interested on a religion, instead of researching the basis where George Lucas went for inspiration,they create something so ridiculous?

I'm sorry,but it's pathetic to call religion to something based upon the Jedis!

Cochrane
21-01-08, 20:06
Well, what's the problem with it? Whether you call your lifestyle a religion or not is not really important, I think. The lifestyle they use (according to the document) is similar to some like Buddhism, but by avoiding these labels they can pick and choose whatever they like. Using the "Jedi" label also shows that they have a sense of humor about their lifestyle and religion, which is great, in my opinion. People take religion way too seriously in this world.

silver_wolf
21-01-08, 21:40
wow....I think that's gone where no nerd has gone before (I know, Star Trek references do not mix with Sta Wars fans). If we get lightsabers I'll join.

Earthcane
21-01-08, 21:49
may the force be with them! ( a cliche, I know :p )

buckmana
21-01-08, 23:29
Oh come on!!!!!!

You can't declare something like this a religion.

Especially, when no matter how hard you try, you're never going to be any kind of telepath or psychokinetic.

I'm open to the idea these powers exist, but you have to have them innately, you can't just "develop" them with mental training.

vespertea
21-01-08, 23:34
Oh come on!!!!!!

You can't declare something like this a religion.

Especially, when no matter how hard you try, you're never going to be any kind of telepath or psychokinetic.

I'm open to the idea these powers exist, but you have to have them innately, you can't just "develop" them with mental training.

All their dreams are dead. lol.

Forwen
21-01-08, 23:36
If we get lightsabers I'll join.

Quoted for truth. What about the perks?

digitizedboy
22-01-08, 00:15
Had to be Wales!! ROFL

just kidding.