PDA

View Full Version : Zero Carbon City :)

Hack
22-01-08, 02:02
http://www.physorg.com/news120158507.html

This is kinda neat :)

thecentaur
22-01-08, 02:04
wow... this is going to drastically eliminate co2 emissions and hopefully reduce global warming. but making a transition like this won't be easy. it will revolutionize energy as we know it :D

PARANOIA
22-01-08, 02:07
HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

The fools! The mad fools!

DREWY
22-01-08, 02:13
I'm afraid I'm rather sceptical. No carbon? What do they build it with? How do they pave it, heating it cool it. Electricity usage, desalination plants...
Good if it was true - I jast can't see it yet.

Punaxe
22-01-08, 02:18
I'm afraid I'm rather sceptical. No carbon? What do they build it with? How do they pave it, heating it cool it. Electricity usage, desalination plants...

Well as it said, they will be using solar power and the like.
But how they are going to build it, is a good point. They are building like crazy there in the Emirates, and I wonder how much emissions it'll take to stamp this city out of the ground...

PARANOIA
22-01-08, 02:19
First of all, there is no such thing as a "zero carbon" city. For zero carbon emissions, it would have to be a total urban jungle made out of rocks. No plants, because plants require CO2 to produce oxygen. With no oxygen, you know what happens? People die. Only then would it be true zero carbon.

This is an impossible mission. Based on a theory, I may add. Nimby.

thecentaur
22-01-08, 02:21
@Paranoia: you're the pessimist aren't you?

this is purely a theory about whether or not they could reduce the co2 emissions greatly; not enough to destroy our life, but enough so that there isn't global warming.

Hack

The city itself and its inhabitants produce no carbon emissions. That includes heating it, electricity, transport. They're using an 100MW Solar Power plant.

I feel its a small step in the right direction. There is no one fix for global warming just loads of little things that will gradually prevent it getting worse.

PARANOIA
@Paranoia: you're the pessimist aren't you?

this is purely a theory about whether or not they could reduce the co2 emissions greatly; not enough to destroy our life, but enough so that there isn't global warming.

Hell yeah I'm the pessimist. It's junk science to the nth degree. And Abu Dhabi isn't exactly known for its scientific expertise.

And since when did CO2 emissions cause global warming? The climate graphs show that CO2 emissions are affected by change in temperature, not vice versa.

Hack
22-01-08, 02:25
http://library.thinkquest.org/12659/media/solar_system/venus/venus.jpg

PARANOIA
22-01-08, 02:27
Ok, you're showing me a picture of a big rock. What does that mean? That our carbon emissions are affecting Venus? Hey, did you know that Pluto's been getting hotter too? Wow, our carbon emissions sure are going a long way, aren't they? Though it can't possibly be because the sun's getting HOTTER - only Exxon-Mobil capitalists believe that!

DREWY
22-01-08, 02:31
The city itself and its inhabitants produce no carbon emissions. That includes heating it, electricity, transport. They're using an 100MW Solar Power plant.

I feel its a small step in the right direction. There is no one fix for global warming just loads of little things that will gradually prevent it getting worse.

Even solar panels produce carbon in their manufacture, and the power has to be stored. Maybe call it "minimal carbon city"
50000 people and only 100MW? Not enough really.
Yes, a step in the right direction, and a good thing to aim and strive for.
Every little bit helps.
(nice picture of venus?)