PDA

View Full Version : Stock markets continue to fall sharply

Mad Tony
22-01-08, 06:31
Share prices in Asia continued to fall sharply on Tuesday, as investors worldwide wait for the reaction from US markets, which were closed on Monday.

Japan's Nikkei index closed down 5.65%, meaning it has fallen 18% this year.
Trading on the Bombay Stock Exchange was suspended for an hour after hefty early losses, but later resumed trading with the main index down 12%.
The falls were sparked by fears of a US recession after a proposed US stimulus package disappointed investors.
Trading was also suspended briefly in South Korea as the market dropped more than 6%, while Hong Kong's Hang Seng index lost more than 8%.
South Korean shares dropped by about 5%, with Sydney's market continued its longest losing streak for 26 years, closing down 7.1%.

'Remain calm'

In Bombay, India's main index fell 9.75% within minutes, triggering an automatic one-hour halt in trading.
The loss in Indian shares came after a fall of 7.41% on Monday, the Sensex's worst day.
India's Finance Minister P Chidambaram has urged the Indian investors to "remain calm" and advised them to "stay invested".
Mr Chidambaram said that "enough liquidity will be provided to the brokers to tide over the present crisis".
In China, the main Shanghai Composite Index fell more than 5%, while markets in Taiwan saw similar falls.

Source and full story: http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7201658.stm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a little worried really, as I have shares in various companies (not much mind you).

When will the share values go up again I wonder?

DREWY
22-01-08, 08:21
You only lose money if you sell. When the stock market is at it's lowest - thats the time to buy.

rowanlim
22-01-08, 08:25
Sounds scary...I'm not much of an avid follower on the stock markets...but it doesn't sound good...it will go up...EVENTUALLY :)

Mad Tony
22-01-08, 15:25
You only lose money if you sell. When the stock market is at it's lowest - thats the time to buy.Yeah, I know. Just wondering when it will ever go up. I wanna recoup my losses (particularly in Northern Rock, which is the company I'm most anxious about). I'm not expecting to recoup these losses anytime soon though.

Titanium
22-01-08, 15:29
I thought you had to be over 18 to play the stock market. Oh well, anyway it is worrying considering the sharpness of the drop. Hopefully this is just a patch and when things have calmed down it will begin to recover.

Mad Tony
22-01-08, 15:31
I thought you had to be over 18 to play the stock market. Oh well, anyway it is worrying considering the sharpness of the drop. Hopefully this is just a patch and when things have calmed down it will begin to recover.My mom does it. But obviously I choose what I wanna invest in. :p

And if anyone's wondering how I got the money, my mom had some premium bonds for me for ages but I've never won on them so we decided to sell them and play the stock market instead.

Titanium
22-01-08, 15:33
My mom does it. But obviously I choose what I wanna invest in. :p

Just like the Simpsons suggest, invest in pumpkins and sell them just before halloween. :p

PARANOIA
22-01-08, 15:33
Yesterday should have been more than enough warning for prospective stockholders to sell. If anybody got caught after that, it's their fault, not the market's.

Seriously, the national papers here literally screamed "SELL! SELL! SELL!"

raiderfun
22-01-08, 15:34
Same thing here, it is dropping day after day ! :rolleyes: Poor dad ! :(

Mad Tony
22-01-08, 15:40
The Federal Reserve has just cut interest rates again in attempt to get the American economy back on track, which will turn help the rest of the world.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7202645.stm

SamReeves
22-01-08, 15:57
The Dow's rumored to come up today. It goes up and it goes down. That's just the way it works now. Things will undoubtedly be slow in the next two quarters, but I don't see it being a long drag out recession.

USP
22-01-08, 16:15
The Federal Reserve has just cut interest rates again in attempt to get the American economy back on track, which will turn help the rest of the world.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7202645.stm

Slashing interest rates is the worst thing possible. You can't stop a recession, especially one created by the Fed's foolish monetary policies. You can however stop it from becoming a depression by letting it run its course. Bernanke is an ******* just as Greenspan was. END THE FED.