PDA

View Full Version : Effect of the 2007–08 Writers Guild of America strike on television

ajrich17901
23-01-08, 10:29
Seriously i have kept quiet about this whole thing. But now i think its gettin ridiculous in all honesty what are they naggin about now?? Why cant they just do there job like other normal people...argh does anyone have anymore info they can give me about whats goin on??

Any end to this in site????
::Prays::

interstellardave
23-01-08, 10:45
The writers should get a better deal from the networks, bottom line. The networks are greedy and I can't believe they've let this go on as long as they have. Without writers we don't have any good shows (NOTE: "reality" shows are not good, IMO). C'mon, networks, give the writers a cut of internet revenues, etc., and let's get them back working on new scripts!

VonCroy360
23-01-08, 10:59
It is getting ridiculous that the TV networks aren't realising they can't go this way anymore. It is obvious the strike won't stop until they make a deal and the TV networks only seem to be able to complain and wait for the solution to be made itself.

Lara Croft!
23-01-08, 11:10
All I know is that I miss 24 !!!!!:hea:

myrmaad
23-01-08, 12:29
I agree with Dave.

So freaking greedy, it's one of the highesit profiting industries, and they just don't want to give the writers their due reward. Great writing should be rewarded highly, I know I appreciate it!! and I miss my Dirty Sexy Money.

Agent 47
23-01-08, 12:36
i live in the UK but i fully support and back the writers strike

who cares if tv shows have suffered??? in war there's casualties....the writers deserve recognition and a better deal from the studios. if it wasn't for them there'd be no entertainment :mad:

the only annoying thing about this strike is that JJ Abrams is using it as an excuse not cast Shatner in the new Trek movie....that's a cop out and he and the fans know it :mad:

i still back the writers strike though :jmp:

myrmaad
23-01-08, 12:42
The point is the Networks are letting the consumers suffer while they *the Networks* draw out the strike. As Dave said, cut them in on Internet sales and voila! it's business as usual.

I didn't know JJ Abrams was ?producing? or whatever he's doing with Star Trek "next"
but I think he's pretty brilliant. So why is it an excuse not to cast Shatner? Did he cross the picket lines? (I'm uninformed)

Agent 47
23-01-08, 13:30
The point is the Networks are letting the consumers suffer while they *the Networks* draw out the strike. As Dave said, cut them in on Internet sales and voila! it's business as usual.

I didn't know JJ Abrams was ?producing? or whatever he's doing with Star Trek "next"
but I think he's pretty brilliant. So why is it an excuse not to cast Shatner? Did he cross the picket lines? (I'm uninformed)

JJ is producing and directing.................for over a year he's claimed "we're desperately trying to cast him"

then he turns around last week and says "can't be done due to the writers strike"..erm, he's known about the strike for ages:cen:

fact is he lied and had no intention of casting the REAL James T Kirk..............

PARANOIA
23-01-08, 14:03
I'm enjoying the writer's strike. Peace and quiet for once. No more Desperate Housewives.

Gregori
23-01-08, 14:09
Seriously i have kept quiet about this whole thing. But now i think its gettin ridiculous in all honesty what are they naggin about now?? Why cant they just do there job like other normal people...argh does anyone have anymore info they can give me about whats goin on??

Any end to this in site????
::Prays::

Unlike other "normal" people who get screwed by their employers and willingly accept wage slavery, the writers guild have balls and aren't going to budge an inch.

I support their strike completely and wish more industries would be heavily unionised like this. Some shows and films are going to delayed, boo hoo, big deal. I doubt its hurting your life that much. While your favourite shows aren't playing, read a book!!!

Punaxe
23-01-08, 14:11
The only thing I hear is that they are on strike and can't reach an agreement.

I have however never heard the demands, wishes or offers of either party, nor do I even know if they are still trying to resolve it (or have ever tried).
Does anyone have more details about the whole situation?

myrmaad
23-01-08, 14:14
I'm enjoying the writer's strike. Peace and quiet for once. No more Desperate Housewives.

Funny I've never even seen Desperate Housewives. I'm quite choosy as to what I watch. And my point about missing my show, is that we consumers should be applying pressure to the networks.

For Punaxe:
http://unitedhollywood.blogspot.com/

There is an article on Wiki also, if you trust that source. I haven't looked at it myself.

TombRaiderLover
23-01-08, 14:28
I wish this strike would end. :rolleyes: It's jeopardising the filming of Scrubs' final episodes.

Punaxe
23-01-08, 16:02
Funny I've never even seen Desperate Housewives. I'm quite choosy as to what I watch. And my point about missing my show, is that we consumers should be applying pressure to the networks.

For Punaxe:
http://unitedhollywood.blogspot.com/

There is an article on Wiki also, if you trust that source. I haven't looked at it myself.

Ah, thanks! :)
(Do edits mark a thread as unread? I only saw this after TombRaiderLover's post...)

myrmaad
23-01-08, 16:06
Ah, thanks! :)
(Do edits mark a thread as unread? I only saw this after TombRaiderLover's post...)

Right, an edit doesn't bump the thread up.

Anyway I just saw this interesting article from William and Mary College student newspaper:

Writers’ strike: understanding the demands (http://www.flathatnews.com/reviews/1705/writers-strike-understanding-the-demands?zem_contact_send_article=yes)

interstellardave
23-01-08, 16:14
I've just recently discovered "The Big Bang Theory" (from the producers of "Two and a Half Men") and I'm ready for new episodes! But, as I indicated before, I want the networks to cave, not the writers.

Mr.Burns
23-01-08, 16:21
I've just recently discovered "The Big Bang Theory" (from the producers of "Two and a Half Men") and I'm ready for new episodes! But, as I indicated before, I want the networks to cave, not the writers.

Same here.

AmericanAssassin
23-01-08, 17:25

Same here.

:tmb: I'm with you guys! The writers deserve better pay and more recognition! ;)

ANoDE
23-01-08, 18:30
:tmb: I'm with you guys! The writers deserve better pay and more recognition! ;)

I think so, too. I mean, if they create something, why shouldn't they get their fair share for it? It might even encourage them to do even better jobs!

touchthesky
23-01-08, 18:32
I hope its sorted soon..I think there's only a few episodes of Ugly Betty left.