PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch vs iPod Nano

Rivendell
23-01-08, 15:19
Hey all,
I've decided to get myself a new Mp3 player and I'd like some advice.

My old one - Creative Zen Sleek, 20gb which I got 3 years ago, has basically gone rubbish. The battery life is down to around 10-14 hours at a stretch. Plus I was only using around 4-5gb of it.

I've never had an iPod before, but now I fancy getting one. But dilemma - which one? :mis:

The 8gb iPod Touch?
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2977/ipodtouchnarrowweb300x5zj7.jpg
Or the 8gb iPod Nano?
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2811/ipodnanoblackin9.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with these models? I'm really tempted by the iPod Touch because of the touch-screen, a bigger (possibly better) screen.

Though for 30-40 more than the iPod Nano, is it really worth it?
Same amount of size iPods (8gb ones), but what are the other main differences between the Nano and the Touch?

Anyone help me out?
:wve:

Beanz
23-01-08, 15:20
I have a nano (2nd gen) And It's awesome, never had a touch though :(.

Jack Croft
23-01-08, 15:22
Got Nano 3rd Generation so good and sleek video quality is ace.

kill bill
23-01-08, 15:23
Touch way better!:jmp::jmp:
Think about it:

Touch has:
Youtube
Videos
Music
Pictures
Caculators
Calendars
3.5inch Widescreen for videos

Nano proberely has:
Videos
Music
Game
Pictures;)
1.2inch or somethin
And the videos on nanos are crap from what I heard.
Also Some people put nanos in their trousers pockets and they are supposed to snap.

ThomasCroft
23-01-08, 15:24
I have the latest iPod Nano and I have to say it is pretty amazing. And although small, the screen is really good; you are able to see even very small details because it has loads of pixels. :)

And also, it looks nice. :wve:

DickDan
23-01-08, 15:25
I have a mp3 player. got 4gb for 40. i really h8 ipods but if u want one then i'd buy the nano. just looks better

kill bill
23-01-08, 15:27
I have a mp3 player. got 4gb for 40. i really h8 ipods but if u want one then i'd buy the nano. just looks better

Your judging an ipod by it's looks:yik: It's the inside that counts.
Think about it. You go to star bucks and buy a coffee and want to use their wi-fi. If you brought an nano you would have to bring the laptop too.Whilst with the touch it can pick up any wi-fi.

P.S why don't you watch apples guided tours and you can see what you need from there.

cristina8992
23-01-08, 15:31
I wanted to get the Touch for ages, but since I already have a 1 GB card in my phone I don't really need it.
The awesome design and huge touchscreen make it the obvious choice for me.:D

Rivendell
23-01-08, 15:39
Think about it:

Touch has:
Youtube

I saw that it has iTunes, but I didn't know about Youtube. Apparently it has Safari as a browser - I'd have thought you'd have to pay even more for an internet connection? :confused:

Dark Lugia 2
23-01-08, 15:39
My friend has an ipod nano, the new one you posted. I think it's better :p i dont see how touching makes it any different, you're only touching the icons that you could do with the ipod nano's buttons :p

kill bill
23-01-08, 15:43
I saw that it has iTunes, but I didn't know about Youtube. Apparently it has Safari as a browser - I'd have thought you'd have to pay even more for an internet connection? :confused:
No you don't Do you have a laptop? On it theres something called wi-fi. The wi-fi picks up the net from the router i.e internet on a laptop. Same way works for the touch. Safari is the net. You tube is deadly. Please note you cannot log in to it. Itunes is ok. Never bought anything from it though.

My friend has an ipod nano, the new one you posted. I think it's better :p i dont see how touching makes it any different, you're only touching the icons that you could do with the ipod nano's buttons :pRather than the:

Net
Itunes
Youtube
big wide screen;)

Dark Lugia 2
23-01-08, 15:45
Yeah, I saw you say. XD but I buy an mp3 player for music, not for the internet, youtube, Itunes and a screen XD

@Riv, it's like connecting a console to the internet :p as long as you got a wireless router or a comp that sends an internet connection signal thingy out you can connect, free :P

Melonie Tomb Raider
23-01-08, 15:47
I'm thinking about getting one as well. I'll probably stick with a nano though, I'm a thrifty shopper. Can't bring myself to spend that much more money on something so similar. Besides, my PSP has internet access anyway. :p

Punaxe
23-01-08, 15:49
For what reasons have you narrowed the rather wide selection of available MP3-players down to these two already?

(If I'd have to pick I'd go for the Nano - touch-screen displays are no good in my opinion: no tactile feedback, which is crucial when you have the player in your pocket like I always have.)

kill bill
23-01-08, 15:49
I'm thinking about getting one as well. I'll probably stick with a nano though, I'm a thrifty shopper. Can't bring myself to spend that much more money on something so similar. Besides, my PSP has internet access anyway. :p

The internet on them sucks. Imagines me having to keep cleaning the cache and tempory files again and again:whi:
P.S Punaxe: theres a stand by button on it. you press it and even no matter how many times you touch it it wont unstandby so it will work in pockets.

Punaxe
23-01-08, 15:54
The internet on them sucks. Imagines me having to keep cleaning the cache and tempory files again and again:whi:
P.S Punaxe: theres a stand by button on it. you press it and even no matter how many times you touch it it wont unstandby so it will work in pockets.
What I meant was that I want to operate them while they're in my pocket. Next track, more volume, etc :p

Bonez
23-01-08, 15:56
I have an iPod Nano 3G in 4GB and it is *fantastic*.

Very slim :D The sound quality is excellent and the video quality :yik: Fantastic for such a tiny thing! :D

Melonie Tomb Raider
23-01-08, 15:57
I would get a 4GB, but is the only color available in that gray? Honestly, I'd spend the extra $100 for the color of my choice. :vlol:

Punaxe
23-01-08, 16:03
I would get a 4GB, but is the only color available in that gray? Honestly, I'd spend the extra $100 for the color of my choice. :vlol:

There's also this stuff called "paint"... :whi:

Melonie Tomb Raider
23-01-08, 16:08
I'd be too scared I'd ruin it. :p

What about a Zune? They're cheaper, what's the difference between them?

Dark Lugia 2
23-01-08, 16:08
There's also this stuff called "paint"... :whi:

Yeah, if you wanna ruin the ipod! :p

findme
23-01-08, 16:10
kill bill, once again, do us all a favour: stop bragging.

Anyways Chris if you really actually need all those fancy features and you're a bit of a gadget fan, I say go for the iPod Touch, I've played around with it at the Apple Store and it seems really cool. The 16gb space available at the moment isn't all that flattering if you plan to stuff loads of music and videos on it.

Nano, I say go for it if you don't need all the fancy features, but just a basic MP3 player, again, if you have a lot of music, 8gb is not gonna be enough.

I think the best choice is the iPod Classic as of the moment, you can get the 80gb one for the price in between the Nano and the Touch.

Hope this helps a bit

danitiwa
23-01-08, 16:14
I'd get a touch actually, (Well, I have one.) since it has everything the Nano has plus internet access. But an iPod nano is more useful for people who don't like big devices I guess.

I'm quite happy with my touch, but I still can't connect to the net, which really sucks. >_>

xcrushterx
23-01-08, 16:15
kill bill, once again, do us all a favour: stop bragging.

Anyways Chris if you really actually need all those fancy features and you're a bit of a gadget fan, I say go for the iPod Touch, I've played around with it at the Apple Store and it seems really cool. The 16gb space available at the moment isn't all that flattering if you plan to stuff loads of music and videos on it.

Nano, I say go for it if you don't need all the fancy features, but just a basic MP3 player, again, if you have a lot of music, 8gb is not gonna be enough.

I think the best choice is the iPod Classic as of the moment, you can get the 80gb one for the price in between the Nano and the Touch.

Hope this helps a bit
Yeah, I'd say go for the classic. The 80GB ones aren't all that big you can put pretty much all the videos/songs/photos/games you like on it. 80GB is hard to fill. :cln:

The_Terminator
23-01-08, 16:17
I've played with both, and have a different angle then one might usually consider:
The ipod touch requires your eyeballs to operate. You must look at the screen to see what your clicking or sliding.
The other models with the click wheel can be operated while in your pocket, while you're driving, etc.
I primarily use the ipod in my car and would never be able to use the Touch in that scenario.
The Touch is the coolest, but the nano is more practical in my opinion.
But I agree with the above poster that the iPod classic is probably the best one right now.

danitiwa
23-01-08, 16:23
Yeah, I'd say go for the classic. The 80GB ones aren't all that big you can put pretty much all the videos/songs/photos/games you like on it. 80GB is hard to fill. :cln:

Indeed. XD

Ho hum, I've put all of my movies on my iPod, now what? :p

Rivendell
23-01-08, 16:24
Bah, now I'm leaning towards the Classic for the middle-ground.

But then again, 80gb is mental - I mean I didn't even fill half my 20gb mp3 player. I can't see myself needing 80gb. That's why I'm more geared towads an 8gb model I think.

Mister Croft
23-01-08, 16:26
I`ve never tried a Ipod Touch, but I`m happy with my cute Nano 2gen^^

Bonez
23-01-08, 16:26
Also Some people put nanos in their trousers pockets and they are supposed to snap.

You tell people not too judge the ipods by looks, but you 'hear' that videos on the nano are crap and are judging it on what you have heard. :rolleyes:

The video is great and I have mine in my pocket all the time, and its fine.

I don't think they would make them so badly that they would just snap in half XD

Minty Mouth
23-01-08, 16:27
Think about it:

Touch has:
Youtube
Videos
Music
Pictures
Caculators
Calendars
3.5inch Widescreen for videos

Nano proberely has:
Videos
Music
Game
Pictures;)
1.2inch or somethin

Kill BIll...

I have a Nano v3 and I can assure you it has much more that that:

Music
Videos
Games
Pictures
Calendar
Podcasts
Alarm system
A stopwatch
The ability to store notes in the form of text documents (lyrics etc)

have used a Touch and aswell and that basically has all of the above, plus internet and touch screen. SO the Touch is superior wen it comes to gadgetyness. But it is fiddly, impractical and hard to use when you are not looking at the screen nay, impossible.

Also, the touch is alot biggerr than you think, Id say bigger than the palm of your hand, while the nano is 5mm thick (I measured it)

But its really down to the touch screem, if you really want the Touch capability, then theres no way around it, get the Touch. But if you want a small practical and nifty litle MP3 player, then go for the nano :tmb:

Laurencarter
23-01-08, 16:46
Definately the touch

xcrushterx
23-01-08, 16:53
Bah, now I'm leaning towards the Classic for the middle-ground.

But then again, 80gb is mental - I mean I didn't even fill half my 20gb mp3 player. I can't see myself needing 80gb. That's why I'm more geared towads an 8gb model I think.
You'll fill it up in no time if you add all those youtube videos of yours. :p

Cochrane
23-01-08, 17:21
The youtube videos don't get downloaded. Now, if there were a way to convert DVDs for iPods, that would certainly make you think twice about storage space :whi:

Now, the touch is the cooler one, the nano is the one that's actually practical, and truth to be told, it isn't all that uncool either. So I'd go with the nano, no doubt about it. If the touch had significantly more storage space (80 GB or more), then I'd buy that one as I actually need all that space, but as there is no such touch yet, I'd probably go for an iPod classic.

If you are thinking about either an iPod classic or a Nano, and don't have enough stuff to fill the Nano already, then get the Nano. The screen may be smaller, but other than that, the Classic just is a whole bunch of metal that you won't actually need.

xcrushterx
23-01-08, 17:28
The youtube videos don't get downloaded. Now, if there were a way to convert DVDs for iPods, that would certainly make you think twice about storage space :whi:

They're his, so the chances are he still has them on his computer somewhere, but there is a website you can use to download youtube videos, but I can't remember what it is. :p

kill bill
23-01-08, 17:46

Now, the touch is the cooler one, the nano is the one that's actually practical, and truth to be told, it isn't all that uncool either. So I'd go with the nano, no doubt about it. If the touch had significantly more storage space (80 GB or more), then I'd buy that one as I actually need all that space, but as there is no such touch yet, I'd probably go for an iPod classic.

If you are thinking about either an iPod classic or a Nano, and don't have enough stuff to fill the Nano already, then get the Nano. The screen may be smaller, but other than that, the Classic just is a whole bunch of metal that you won't actually need.

There is a way;) You use might get banned if I sa) reautor the episodes /movie use you tube downloader to convert the files into .mov format;)

kill bill
23-01-08, 17:47
Kill BIll...

I have a Nano v3 and I can assure you it has much more that that:

Music
Videos
Games
Pictures
Calendar
Podcasts
Alarm system
A stopwatch
The ability to store notes in the form of text documents (lyrics etc)

have used a Touch and aswell and that basically has all of the above, plus internet and touch screen. SO the Touch is superior wen it comes to gadgetyness. But it is fiddly, impractical and hard to use when you are not looking at the screen nay, impossible.

Also, the touch is alot biggerr than you think, Id say bigger than the palm of your hand, while the nano is 5mm thick (I measured it)

But its really down to the touch screem, if you really want the Touch capability, then theres no way around it, get the Touch. But if you want a small practical and nifty litle MP3 player, then go for the nano :tmb:

There is podcasts in a touch. It's in music/video depending on what you want;)

oocladableeblah
23-01-08, 17:54
I find the iPod touch very pointless it only has like 8gb and it cost $299. I can get an iPod classic with 80gb for $249. I'm not gonna use the internet I'll do that at home, all I'm gonna do with my iPod is listen to music and watch videos. If all your going to do is listen to music go with the nano it's cheaper. If you want all the internet stuff then go with the touch.

Angelus
23-01-08, 18:00
The iPod touch is cool, but has really low storage space. The new iPod Nano is also cool, but it's really small and there's no way I could personally watch a video on a screen that small.

I got the 30GB iPod video in 2006 and it's great. It'll be a lot cheaper than the newer iPods, too. The only thing is that it is a bit big. Here's a picture:

http://s7d1.scene7.com/is/image/vanns/522742230?$medium_item$

You can also get it in white, but black is much sexier. :p

Betal
23-01-08, 18:03
I only use my ipod to listen to music. So iPod nano is the best. Why watch a movie/ video on a iPod when I have a TV?:p

It's not made of plast. It can't snap. It's too hard. It's made of metal.;)

Benguitar
23-01-08, 18:25
I would go with the 16GB iPod touch

ANoDE
23-01-08, 18:27
I got my Nano (3rd gen) for Christmas - and I am really happy with it. Well, i haven't got high expectations, though...

The display is quite sharp and the audio qualitiy is amazing (compared to my prevous mp3-player).
I don't have any experience with the touch version though, i really never felt the need for it :wve:

knutroald
23-01-08, 19:01
iPod Touch all the way :mis:

AmericanAssassin
23-01-08, 19:02
The TOUCH is cutting edge... :whi:

Gothlegend
23-01-08, 19:02
both of them are truly amazing. the itouch does have better features but if you decide to go with the nano then get the 3RD generation. it is much better than the previous ones :)

Legends
23-01-08, 20:34
Please, don't get an iPod Touch. The only thing you'll be paying for is the un-handy design. The battery capacity is also week. If you want a real MP3 player, buy yourself an iPod Classic. It's a lot better, and you're paying for more space rather than a touch screen that's eating the battery. The Nano is okay too I guess, but I prefer the Classic.

James_Rutland
23-01-08, 20:42
No you don't Do you have a laptop? On it theres something called wi-fi. The wi-fi picks up the net from the router i.e internet on a laptop. Same way works for the touch. Safari is the net. You tube is deadly. Please note you cannot log in to it. Itunes is ok. Never bought anything from it though.

Rather than the:

Net
Itunes
Youtube
big wide screen;)

*Rubs eyes* I have seen so many posts with all this "Internet connection supter fast with specs 1.209 nvidia gforce ulitmate 2008 edition." " Wi fi conncetion with your ipod touch featuring Safari = perfect ipod for my like "I swear, when your older, your going to be a computer genious.

Anyway, I think Touch is better.

kill bill
23-01-08, 20:45
*Rubs eyes* I have seen so many posts with all this "Internet connection supter fast with specs 1.209 nvidia gforce ulitmate 2008 edition." " Wi fi conncetion with your ipod touch featuring Safari = perfect ipod for my like "I swear, when your older, your going to be a computer genious.

Anyway, I think Touch is better.

Whats 1.209:confused:

Mr.Burns
23-01-08, 20:48
There are two reasons why I haven't gone with an ipod.

A. It's not able to put out enough power for my headphones.

B. No replaceable battery (as far as I know of).

I have a Creative Zen and it works pretty well for a four year old model. :)

James_Rutland
23-01-08, 20:50
Whats 1.209:confused:

I don't know, i just made it up as i went along. :D

2kool4u
23-01-08, 20:50

no internet is free like the PS3, i have the touch and i love it, its good.

kill bill
23-01-08, 21:01
There are two reasons why I haven't gone with an ipod.

A. It's not able to put out enough power for my headphones.

B. No replaceable battery (as far as I know of).

I have a Creative Zen and it works pretty well for a four year old model. :)
For A: If it blasts wouldn't that not make you deaf:confused:
For B: I'm sorry Ipod people but I have to agree with you there. My sister had a nano 3rd gen and the battery faulted;)

Seb_01225
23-01-08, 21:27
I LOVE MY IPOD TOUCH!

and with the new update its even better :D

get one they're amazing you wont regret!

used to have a black 1st gen nano but i threw it against a tree

Mr.Burns
23-01-08, 21:37
For A: If it blasts wouldn't that not make you deaf:confused:
For B: I'm sorry Ipod people but I have to agree with you there. My sister had a nano 3rd gen and the battery faulted;)My headphones have a nominal impedance of 300 Ohms. The ipods can't handle that. It's like trying to get a Mack truck to run on a 4 cylinder engine. It won't work.

xcrushterx
23-01-08, 21:40
My headphones have a nominal impedance of 300 Ohms. The ipods can't handle that. It's like trying to get a Mack truck to run on a 4 cylinder engine. It won't work.

You don't have to use the iPod earphones. You can use other ones if you wish, or do you mean that the iPod itself can't do that? There's something in the settings which allows you to blast up the max volume to the highest it can get.

kill bill
23-01-08, 21:42
You don't have to use the iPod earphones. You can use other ones if you wish, or do you mean that the iPod itself can't do that? There's something in the settings which allows you to blast up the max volume to the highest it can get.

You can but it really kind of depends on how loud the song is in the first place;)

Mr.Burns
23-01-08, 21:43

It's the ipod itself. I wouldn't touch the ipod earphones. These are what I use: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productspecs.asp?transid=USHD650

The only time I get full performance from my headphones is if I run them through my sound system. Otherwise I need a headphone amp.

xcrushterx
23-01-08, 21:46
You can but it really kind of depends on how loud the song is in the first place;)
Yeah, I know.
It's the ipod itself. I wouldn't touch the ipod earphones. These are what I use: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productspecs.asp?transid=USHD650

The only time I get full performance from my headphones is if I run them through my sound system. Otherwise I need a headphone amp.

Why would you want it so loud anyway? To me the full volume is far too loud for some songs.

Mr.Burns
23-01-08, 21:57
Yeah, I know.

Why would you want it so loud anyway? To me the full volume is far too loud for some songs.

I think there's some confusion here. I don't need them to be extremely loud but because they require so much power to function, if I plug them into an ipod, I can barely hear anything out of them or if I do, it's pretty quiet. The ipods can't push out the juice needed to run the headphones. The Creative Zen can, for the most part. Also when you run a 300 Ohms headphone on a system only capable of pushing out maybe 50 Ohms, you'll have bass drop off and the over all quality of the audio diminishes. So it's not so much a matter of decibels (though that is a part of it), it's about getting the most out of the headphones.

findme
24-01-08, 00:08

There a re several programs that let you convert DVDs for your iPod. I have a iPod Classic 160 and I've filled up about half of it already, got around 15 movies, and god knows how many tv episodes I have, too many.

TR 4 LIFE
24-01-08, 04:20
I have an ipod nano (3rd Gen) it's pretty cool!!! an ipod touch is cool and all but............ I have a laptop, so I can already use the internet!!

Cochrane
24-01-08, 06:43
There a re several programs that let you convert DVDs for your iPod. I have a iPod Classic 160 and I've filled up about half of it already, got around 15 movies, and god knows how many tv episodes I have, too many.

I know that very well, I just have a feeling that I shouldn't talk about it in public. 20 GB of my iPod video (5th generation) are full of movies, which isn't quite as impressive as your stats, but still.

calico25
24-01-08, 08:31
got the Touch in October and love the damn thing. Best purchase i have made in years.

Necromanser
24-01-08, 10:02
It's free if you have wi-fi at home or of you go to places where they have free hotspots.Ipod touch is better IMO,it can stream youtube vids,play mo4 films and the browser is really comfortable to use.

_Lam
24-01-08, 10:32
Dude I got the old nano and my friend bought the Touch. You need to buy the Touch, it's so awsome. It work perfectly and you can go to the internet, imagine going on internet in you math class !

Touch by faaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr. ;)

findme
24-01-08, 11:52
imagine going on internet in you math class !

I don't think it's as magical as you say it is, not all schools have wifi hotspots in their maths classrooms

Rivendell
24-01-08, 12:17
I just ordered the iPod Touch 8gb. :)

I can't see myself ever needing to use 80gb worth of music space on the classic, nor would I use them for films on a 2.5" screen.

With the touch, I get the slightly bigger screen so I'll be more tempted to watch things on it, the wi-fi internet, the cool design and touchscreen. :)
I won't be able to use it in my pocket anyway - and I've never done that with the one I have at the moment, so that's no problem.
8gb is twice as much space than I've used on my dying 20gb one anyway.

It's all good - got a good deal from Ebay too. Brand new one, 160 - as opposed to loads of other places that have it 175/higher.

:jmp:

knutroald
24-01-08, 12:19
Cool:D You won't be disappointed;)

cristina8992
24-01-08, 12:22
I'm glad you finally decided and you made a good choice.:tmb:

Though I have to admit I'm a bit jealous.:pi:

kill bill
24-01-08, 14:21
Good pick:tmb: You wont be dissapointed:D

Lew
24-01-08, 17:02
I'm on the touch right now and I say get it!!