PDA

View Full Version : No Natla, No Scion, No Atlantis?

gtkilla
25-01-08, 23:46
How does it tie into previous games?

Well, I'm not allowed to talk about story at all, but what I can say is that it's modern. We're not looking back at all, and we're not resetting anything, we're moving forward on everything.

From an interview with Robert Lindstrom.

http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=copyofimg368bn6.jpg

I guess this means no connections to Anniversary's story. :mad: If they weren't planning on tying up the loose ends and answering the unanswered questions from TR:A, then WHY did they include them?! Gosh, this is dumb. :rolleyes: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

Portugalraider
25-01-08, 23:48
maybe their lieing...or not?

maybe on tr9?

Josh Raider
25-01-08, 23:48

I guess this means no connections to Anniversary's story. :mad: If they weren't planning on tying up the loose ends and answering the unanswered questions from TR:A, then WHY did they include them?! Gosh, this is dumb. :rolleyes: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/icons/icon13.gif
Isn't Toby Gard involved with the story again?
There's your answer. :(

Ward Dragon
25-01-08, 23:51
I guess this means no connections to Anniversary's story. :mad: If they weren't planning on tying up the loose ends and answering the unanswered questions from TR:A, then WHY did they include them?! Gosh, this is dumb. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they will tie up TRA's loose ends eventually. As for Underworld not looking back, I just thought that meant there wouldn't be any flashbacks like in Legend or rewriting older stories like in TRA.

Angelus
25-01-08, 23:51
I'm sure they will tie up TRA's loose ends eventually. As for Underworld not looking back, I just thought that meant there wouldn't be any flashbacks like in Legend or rewriting older stories like in TRA.

That's what I think too.

Evan C.
25-01-08, 23:57
Me too

gtkilla
25-01-08, 23:59

I doubt that. The question specifically asked "How does it tie in to previous games". I guess this is their way of saying that it doesn't tie into Anniversary. =/

ajrich17901
26-01-08, 00:02
Tell u the truth id rather them forget about the remake it was a homage to the fans to play laras original adventure nothing more. I dont want natla back,i dont want atlantis back and i dont want the story continuin from the first game. Yes i am a hardcore fan dont get me wrong but enough is enough move on with a real story instead of developin from one that was made almost 12 years ago.

That bein said i dont want the TRA story to continue, natla got crushed the end lol

Ward Dragon
26-01-08, 00:03
I doubt that. The question specifically asked "How does it tie in to previous games". I guess this is their way of saying that it doesn't tie into Anniversary. =/

Hmm, maybe. I guess we'll just have to wait until more information to know for sure. I could have sworn one of the magazines said we'd get to see a piece of Atlantis in Underworld, but I guess it was speculation.

Obscure
26-01-08, 00:12
I think that article just means that they won't be looking back onto Legend and Anniversary (as Legend and Anniversary kind of reflected off of eachother) and will just focus on the Modern (future) so it won't make huge references to the previous games and will all be set on the future scenarios that are to come.

Josh Raider
26-01-08, 00:15
I think that article just means that they won't be looking back onto Legend and Anniversary (as Legend and Anniversary kind of reflected off of eachother) and will just focus on the Modern (future) so it won't make huge references to the previous games and will all be set on the future scenarios that are to come.
I thought Underworld was a direct sequel to Legend...

tampi
26-01-08, 00:16
In the magazine that I have scanned, there is a lateral section where they talk about speculation about possible new scenarios such as: Easter Island and Atlantis :)

Obscure
26-01-08, 00:16
I thought Underworld was a direct sequel to Legend...

It is and hence the reason I said:

It won't make huge references to the previous games.

We already know what's happend in Legend. Why replay old scenes?

Josh Raider
26-01-08, 00:20
It is and hence the reason I said:

It won't make huge references to the previous games.

We already know what's happend in Legend. Why replay old scenes?
Touche :)

Blackmoor
26-01-08, 00:22
We have to find out what happened to Amelia in this one or I'll not be happy. They need to continue Legend.

As for Natla, the Scion and Atlantis... they shouldn't be here anyway as far as I'm concerned. It's the best decision they could make - are they the new developers or not? If so, then make their own material and don't recycle old stories. TR:A was a one-off. I agree they could make something out of it if they really wanted to, but I think they'd be wrong to do it so early on with their own TR games. Maybe later on, but not now.

They need to make their own mark. They've only done 1 game that's their own so far. TR:A was Core's game revamped.

Josh Raider
26-01-08, 00:25
We have to find out what happened to Amelia in this one or I'll not be happy. They need to continue Legend.

As for Natla, the Scion and Atlantis... they shouldn't be here anyway as far as I'm concerned. It's the best decision they could make - are they the new developers or not? If so, then make their own material and don't recycle old stories. TR:A was a one-off. I agree they could make something out of it if they really wanted to, but I think they'd be wrong to do it so early on with their own TR games. Maybe later on, but not now.

They need to make their own mark. They've only done 1 game that's their own so far. TR:A was Core's game revamped.
Yup, yup, yup

Obscure
26-01-08, 00:26

TRA was more of a revisioning than a remake. Too different to be a remake really.

I think the involvement of TR1/TRA was a brilliant move for CD and they of course will hold Natla into the equation with the Amelia plotline. What I've noticed in the Legend/Anniversary game was the huge reference to the number 3....

gtkilla
26-01-08, 00:27
They're definitely continuing Legend, I don't think people will have to worry about that. ;)

we're not resetting anything

I'm just upset that there are a bunch of loose ends in Anniversary and they're not even tying them up in Underworld! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/icons/icon13.gif What was the point in including them in the first place?

Josh Raider
26-01-08, 00:29
They're definitely continuing Legend, I don't think people will have to worry about that. ;)

I'm just upset that there are a bunch of loose ends in Anniversary and they're not even tying them up in Underworld! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/icons/icon13.gif What was the point in including them in the first place?
To **** us off?
Haha I don't know.

Obscure
26-01-08, 00:33
That could mean a number of things.

We're not resetting things.

It could mean no more remakes as a lot of people want TR2. It could mean that they're not going to look back onto Anniversary and Legend as you'd be expected to know them. What he said in that interview was very vague and inconclusive (sp) for real results on the plotline.

Blackmoor
26-01-08, 00:35
TRA was more of a revisioning than a remake. Too different to be a remake really. I didn't actually mean remake which is why I said revamp. But however you phrase it, it's still Core's game that they adapted, not brand new material started from scratch. They've only made 1 TR game that's completely their own...

I think the involvement of TR1/TRA was a brilliant move for CD and they of course will hold Natla into the equation with the Amelia plotline. What I've noticed in the Legend/Anniversary game was the huge reference to the number 3.... Hehe, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on that one, Obscure. And, wait and see what happens. :p

Obscure
26-01-08, 00:37
I didn't actually mean remake which is why I said revamp. But however you phrase it, it's still Core's game that they adapted, not brand new material started from scratch. They've only made 1 TR game that's completely their own...

Oh right. I get you :)

Sometimes it's best to go back to really find your roots.

Hey wait a minute...!

"Sometimes to understand your present, you have to go back to your past. And this time things will be different"

From the TRA trailer.
Maybe a hint for the TRU plotline with the involvement of Natla?
Considering Legend is present and Anniversary is past?

Blackmoor
26-01-08, 00:42

Hey wait a minute...!

"Sometimes to understand your present, you have to go back to your past. And this time things will be different"

From the TRA trailer.
Considering Legend is present and Anniversary is past?Lol. :p Definitely I think it's plausible to take both TR:A + Legend forward into TR:U. And before this little bit of information posted in this thread, I was coming around to the idea that's it was inevitable... If that gives you hope!! :D

But, I still wouldn't like it myself... :(

Toonamy
26-01-08, 01:04
Great. just flicking great, or not.
I think the Underworld looks great, maybe she's not so emo enymore.
I just hope for the best, dont give a damn anymore, im sick of it, noe Tomb Raider, but everything else.

Cant wait to the game comes and i can dream myself away to another world and forgett all about this ****ty ass life

Josh Raider
26-01-08, 01:07
Great. just flicking great, or not.
I think the Underworld looks great, maybe she's not so emo enymore.
I just hope for the best, dont give a damn anymore, im sick of it, noe Tomb Raider, but everything else.

Cant wait to the game comes and i can dream myself away to another world and forgett all about this ****ty ass life
:hug:

littlepenguin
26-01-08, 01:13
Oh right. I get you :)

Hey wait a minute...!

From the TRA trailer.
Considering Legend is present and Anniversary is past?

ok that pulls up lots of questions,

.. right now i'm confused. interesting idea though

*goes off to ponder about what you said*

aussie500
26-01-08, 01:20
How does it tie into previous games?

Well, I'm not allowed to talk about story at all, but what I can say is that it's modern. We're not looking back at all, and we're not resetting anything, we're moving forward on everything.

No it means they are not going to talk about the story, probably they will not at all since the story is so important to the game. It would be like telling you the end of the book as you are about to buy it. l would much rather play the game and find out then have them tell us.

There is no reason for the scion to be in Underworld, or even Natla, the backstory is the creation of the ancient civilisations, their connection with Atlantis and Lara's mum who fits into it somehow. We are bound to find out something about Atlantis somewhere in the game, and Natla will eventually turn up if Lara keeps digging, she just might not be in Underworld, there is no hurry we can wait if she does not show up.

The not resetting anything just means they are not going to change anything else that has previously happened, which really does not tell us much, since they are unlikely to be referring to anything from the old games anyway.

Conway
26-01-08, 03:25

I think I agree with you there. I'm not overly disappointed that TRA won't be somehow continued in TRU, if it won't be, because there are too much loose ends in Legend that ought to be tidied up. Adding in a seemingly totally unrelated story (TRA) would make things more complicated than need be. IMO, CD should once and for all resolve the Legend storyline (perhaps Richard's disappearance included, and the daises, and Amelia of course).

spikesavenger
26-01-08, 04:11
Isn't Toby Gard involved with the story again?
There's your answer. :(

He's not. He's just doing story board art. I can't remember which mag. said that, tho.

Tthe Spirit
26-01-08, 08:59
Tell u the truth id rather them forget about the remake it was a homage to the fans to play laras original adventure nothing more. I dont want natla back,i dont want atlantis back and i dont want the story continuin from the first game. Yes i am a hardcore fan dont get me wrong but enough is enough move on with a real story instead of developin from one that was made almost 12 years ago.

That bein said i dont want the TRA story to continue, natla got crushed the end lol

Me 2.

TRL ended in the final cutscene.
The dialogue proves it.
You cant also go to Avalon.
Once you're gone, you cant come back... (my theory).

TRA, just a homage to the fans and describing how Lara became as she is now.

TRU: definitely a new game with a new storyline.

It happens after legend events, but it has nothing to do with it.
It is a new game just about Lara, the Tombs and Archeology :jmp:

hey_jude
26-01-08, 09:55
Me 2.

It happens after legend events, but it has nothing to do with it.
It is a new game just about Lara, the Tombs and Archeology :jmp:

I don't think so, it will continue Legend storyline. There are too many loose ends, and if you remember Lara says that they can still do something about the situation (Cavendish laboratory, prof. Addington).

Drone
26-01-08, 10:01
I think logically there should be a link between TRA, TRL and TRU. Time will show

RAID
26-01-08, 10:11
maybe on tr9?

Great...Keep dragging the story out until it's cancelled like TR4 and AOD...

Alex Fly
26-01-08, 11:30
To be honest I've never been very enthusiastic at the idea of a potential connection between Anniversary and the Legend plot. So I don't care that much if there would really be any... :wve:

b2l
26-01-08, 13:41
maybe is better that way... all the games connected can be a disaster

knutroald
26-01-08, 14:12
I like the loose ends in TRA and the cliffhanger from Legend they way they are now. Mysteries never meant to be solved:)

Lara's home
26-01-08, 14:24
Well they have to tie it with a previous game. Its supposed to be a sequel to TR:L. :p
And Anniversary didn't give enough answers to be left unfinished.
Why change the story so much if its not supposed to be used?

Josh Raider
26-01-08, 14:27
He's not. He's just doing story board art. I can't remember which mag. said that, tho.
I hope that's true. :)

McGloomy
26-01-08, 14:35
Exactly!

aussie500
26-01-08, 15:50
I like the loose ends in TRA and the cliffhanger from Legend they way they are now. Mysteries never meant to be solved:)

Mysteries are what Lara likes to solve, it has taken her this long, l see no reason why she would suddenly be solving the mysteries of Atlantis and its colonies in the next game

Well they have to tie it with a previous game. Its supposed to be a sequel to TR:L. :p
And Anniversary didn't give enough answers to be left unfinished.
Why change the story so much if its not supposed to be used?

None of the magazines have said it was a sequel to Legend, they have said it happens shortly after Legend. Most of the Legend storylines were finished, it was only the backstory that was left on a cliffhanger. Legend is finished, there is no reason to continue anything from it other than Lara still has the same friends, and the same Manor, we know Underworld will probably have something to do with Lara's search for her Mum, that does not make Underworld a sequel to Legend. Legend was about Lara's search for the dais, Excalibur, and her discovery that Amanda never died in her mishap, none of that will likely have anything to do with Underworld.

GodOfLight
26-01-08, 16:39
However, Legend did also tell us that Lara's father was "right about everything"... and then in Anniversary we find out that Lara's father had all these theories about a lost civilization, Atlantis, and it being the foundation of all civilizations.

I definetly think everything is going to be tied together. Probably not in Underworld. Perhaps Underworld will answer some questions... but the finale will probably be in a game after Underworld...

aussie500
26-01-08, 17:41
Well we have been waiting for a game to tie them together for a while, we first saw the pyramid of Atlantis, the Atlantean rulers and how Atlantis fell, back in 1996, Tomb Raider 2 explored dragons, ancient China and an artifact of power, from an advanced civilisation that could not only alter ones shape but that was connected with mythical realms in other dimensions. Tomb Raider 3 saw the "meteor" land on earth, again Lara ended up chasing artifacts capable of mutating and changing people, only this time they were connected with an advanced extraterrestrial species. Tomb Raider 4 we found the Gods of old, or at least several Egyptian ones were real, no reason to assume all the other ancient gods were not also real. They came from the stars, and brought a statue to life that was wearing some of their artifacts, the armour of Horus. The amulet of Horus was capable of keeping a god imprisoned, the strange Iris seemed capable of making Werner behave like someone else, as well as providing the knowledge for VCI. Tomb Raider 5 we again saw more strange reptilian creatures connected with the artifacts Lara was interested in, not to mention the dinosaurs she has been running into over the years. We found that there were real demons out there, not that we had not be seeing walking dead for a while, but we finally saw a young Lara meet one with some intelligence. The spear of Destiny was another artifact of power, this time with a Christian connection. AOD went more into angels and fallen angels (demons?) corrupted by their time on earth, who again could change their appearance, these nephilim wanted to start a new age, where they were again the dominant species. Legend introduced a motivation for Lara's interest in ancient advanced civilisations (her parents), a network of dais's all over the world set up for communication and travel to mystical realms, swords that were used by great leaders of the past civilisations, leaders who usually were lost as children, raised elsewhere and returned, advisers who guided their chosen one on the path to greatness, and seemingly had the ability to change their shape, usually again to something dragon like. TRA went back to the story that started it all, and showed us a bit of how determined Lara was to succeed in her quest for knowledge, and showed us that our original Atlantean rulers might not after all be dead, and even Natla might have survived the pyramid exploding.

So we have ancient technologically advanced gods with an extra terrestrial connection who seemed to have had a hand in our development, they could still be lurking around somewhere, they have the ability to travel to mystical realms and might have gone bad, certainly Natla did. Lara has suddenly decided to investigate the possibility that there might be a real underworld after all (the logical place to look for some fallen angels ;)), and is checking out a few of the ancient sites with possible connections, no doubt that will lead somewhere, but it might not necessarily lead to a conclusion, we have been waiting this long, possibly all we will get is more clues. Amelia Croft is involved in it somewhere but it might take a while for Lara to finally solve the mystery.

danny.rex
26-01-08, 18:36
I hope he meant they're not making flashbacks or re-writing stories again. Because I would love to see Natla back, maybe just a little cameo in Underworld and a big comeback in TR9 or TR10.
Also remember that one of the magazines' articles said there was a rumor of Lara exploring the underwater ruins of Atlantis.

We just have to wait and see

Josh Raider
26-01-08, 18:40
Does anyone think the underwater level they keep mentioning could be someway related to the cut underwater level from Legend?
It would save them time if they just re-used that level and would also be interesting to see what it's like.

Ward Dragon
26-01-08, 21:59
swords that were used by great leaders of the past civilisations, leaders who usually were lost as children, raised elsewhere and returned, advisers who guided their chosen one on the path to greatness

This has really been bugging me in Legend. The game's story acts like there were tons of great leaders who came to power in this way, but as far as I can remember Lara only learned about Queen Tiwanaku and King Arthur. She says, "Swords in stones, Alister. They're part of the monomyth. There wasn't just one Excalibur or one Merlin. We keep seeing swords and daises all over the world because they were everywhere." But she only found pieces of one sword, and she only knew about two daises :confused:

Josh Raider
26-01-08, 22:01
This has really been bugging me in Legend. The game's story acts like there were tons of great leaders who came to power in this way, but as far as I can remember Lara only learned about Queen Tiwanaku and King Arthur. She says, "Swords in stones, Alister. They're part of the monomyth. There wasn't just one Excalibur or one Merlin. We keep seeing swords and daises all over the world because they were everywhere." But she only found pieces of one sword, and she only knew about two daises :confused:
Yeah that also crossed my mind. It's pretty odd that they hinted at it but nothing more came of it.

rowanlim
27-01-08, 02:51
I don't think I'd want to see any of them in TRU...there's a real risk of overlapping TRL & TRA's storylines to make a complete mess...unless they can do it (I don't know HOW), then I'd rather see the end of TRL's story :)

aussie500
27-01-08, 05:13

Well well we were only given the story for the 2 "sleepers" Lara found, but we also know there was originally a chosen one in Nepal, who also might not have made the final journey, and there is nothing to say that sword was the one from Nepal, the Queens sword or some other as yet unknown sword.

Lara likely has some idea of who the other chosen might have been, we might not necessarily be told though, since they are not directly involved in Lara's quest.

A good guess at one who had a massive impact on the world, and was a proponent of peace would be Jesus of Nazareth, again someone who we know was born here, vanished from sight for most of his formative years and then returned to start what would evolve into the Christian faith. l doubt Crystal Dynamics is going to mention Jesus (due to the controversy perhaps), but it would not be the first time Christians and Christian related artifacts were connected with Tomb Raider. Presumably his guide would have been Mary, and possibly our paradise lost the garden of Eden

We could probably take a guess at the Nepal chosen one, Nepal was the birthplace of Buddha Sakyamuni, who supposedly spent his formative years in his fathers palace, before finally coming out into the world.

An interesting thing about Arthur's period is that there seems to be two chosen ones, Arthur raised by Merlin, and Lancelot raised apparently by the Lady of the Lake both were kings, both were equally worthy although Lancelot chose to follow Arthur, and later proved to be less than perfect when he started an affair with Arthurs's Queen, which eventually lead to disaster.

Whoever the chosen ones were really probably has nothing to do with our story, all we need to know is that there were a few scattered all over the world, and at different times and they did effect the development of the human race for the better. It is the beings behind the monomyth, the ones providing the knowledge and artifacts that Lara is interested in, they are the ones we will see more of, and who's story will be further developed.

Which still brings us back to what exactly is Lara planning on doing in the underworld, if she does find the mythical one. Does she want to bring someone back from the dead, release one of the beings imprisoned down there, just stop by for a chat with someone about old times and what happened to her mother, or just passing through on the way to some other equally mystical place, where she is hoping for a family reunion.