PDA

View Full Version : Sci Entertainment hits troubled waters!

Croft12301
27-01-08, 17:50
SCi Entertainments Hit Troubled Waters
New Tomb Raider game affected by financial difficulties.
by Maritn Robinson, IGN UK

UK, January 15, 2008 - SCi Entertainment, the publisher currently in charge of the Tomb Raider franchise, looks to be in serious financial trouble following a recent report suggesting that it may run out of money as early as this summer with a life-saving takeover looking increasingly unlikely.

A report in The Sunday Times illustrated the problems facing the company, with chief executive Jane Cavanagh's position described as "untenable" by shareholders increasingly exasperated by the desperate financial situation. An analyst was quoted as saying that, "It seems likely the company will run out of cash by May or June. Since it is now delaying the release of its new games, it will need this extra cash just to keep the lights on."

It is thought that the company would need to borrow 30 million to stay in operation and although Time-Warner and Ubisoft are rumoured to be interested, SCi Entertainment admitted that it "no longer believes that a sale of the company for its full value is likely to be achieved".

The publisher's great white hope for the year, Tomb Raider: Underworld, has been hit by the difficulties, with the release now being pushed back to Christmas 2008.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(....................:mad:: mad::hea::hea::hea::cen::cen::cen::cen:

AmericanAssassin
27-01-08, 17:51
Nothing new really... Thanks for posting though. ;)

Moon-Safari
27-01-08, 17:54
This is so stressful. Can't angie make a donation or something?

Croft12301
27-01-08, 17:54
Darn I thought I could give some important information:(

Whos angie?

Eddie Haskell
27-01-08, 17:59
Perhaps I can ask my fraternity brother in Providence Equity to help out. They heaped some dough out to Zenimax (and some of it mine!)! Wishful thinking though, they are smart, greedy capitalists...;)

Dark Lugia 2
27-01-08, 18:25

Just because she played lara croft in a movie doesnt mean she should help tomb raider :p

Grenade
27-01-08, 18:26
Just because she played lara croft in a movie doesnt mean she should help tomb raider :p
Indeed!

NightWish
27-01-08, 18:28
The only thing that will save them is release tr8 as they should have - in summer! :p

just*raidin*tomb
27-01-08, 18:29
Whos angie?

Angelina Jolie, ya know! Tomb Raider movie. Ring a bell?:p

Shrantellatessa
27-01-08, 18:31
Hmmm, sounds scary...First the new appointments, and now this!!

trXD
27-01-08, 18:33
Well if ubisoft buys them it will stop the delay :D

Nausinous
27-01-08, 18:33
Ironically, someone just yesterday made a thread with the title 'Will Tomb Raider die?'. I think the answer is yes :(

Quasimodo
27-01-08, 18:37
Is it too late for them to decide not to make last-gen ports?

ben croft
27-01-08, 18:48
Oh I guess TR8 will be the last TR...

:eek:

trXD
27-01-08, 18:49
Ironically, someone just yesterday made a thread with the title 'Will Tomb Raider die?'. I think the answer is yes :(

Oh I guess TR8 will be the last TR...

:eek:

:(

Angel_14
27-01-08, 19:00
Only one men can help them... Bill Gates :yik:

LaraLover32
27-01-08, 19:09
I am alright with delayed game...but what if they cancel it?!

amiro1989
27-01-08, 19:10
I guess Ubisoft is going to jump out of nowhere...

UBI: "LOWER YOUR PRICES!"
SCi: "Okay :( !"

Croft12301
27-01-08, 19:13
Angelina Jolie, ya know! Tomb Raider movie. Ring a bell?:p

Lol I didn't put those 2 together :whi:

Lara's home
27-01-08, 19:17
Age of Conan is set to release soon. It will most probably give SCi some money.
Look at all of the awrads it has allready won.
http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/conan/frontend.cgi?func=frontend.show&template=main

Zelda master
27-01-08, 19:18
Just die Eidos DIE!

I guess Ubisoft is going to jump out of nowhere...

UBI: "LOWER YOUR PRICES!"
SCi: "Okay :( !"

There not called EA...

GrumpyElitist
27-01-08, 19:20
Hmmm, sounds scary...First the new appointments, and now this!!
You might want to check the date on that. The new appointments happened after this report.

Well if ubisoft buys them it will stop the delay
You do realize that with the mess that SCi has just gone through, no one is going to even consider bidding to buy them until they can see if this change bounces them back, right? Secondly, putting more money and people on the project is not going to stop the delay. Have you never heard the adage that adding more people to a late software project makes it later? The delay has already happened, otherwise the decision wouldn't have been made.

Is it too late for them to decide not to make last-gen ports?
I'm still puzzled as to how people have this idea that the last-gen ports are some recent decision? Recent announcement, yes, but how blind do you have to be to think that recent announcement = recently begun work? If it's been announced, it's already pretty far along, and has probably been in the works for a good year now. TRU itself was in the works for how long.. 2 years?... before it was announced? It's not going to be a formal decision until it's passed the proof of concept stage and gotten the green light. I mean, if we were talking about cell phone ports, that would be a different matter, but PS2/Wii ports?

So the short answer is... yes, it's too late. It was already too late before you heard about them.

Age of Conan is set to release soon. It will most probably give SCi some money.
Look at all of the awrads it has allready won.
That raises two questions, though...
What is the nature of SCi's deal for Conan? Publishing or just distribution? If it's the former, it could be quite significant, but if it's the latter, all they're getting is a cut out of retail sales revenues, and not a dime out of subscription fees.
Secondly, awards are one thing, but what is the strength of the Conan license? Can it really compete with the likes of WoW or the LoTR MMO?

Reggie
27-01-08, 19:22
^Does that mean a TR9 official suggestion thread would be more helpful to Crystal now than a TR8 one?

Seb_01225
27-01-08, 19:43
hmm how did they get in all this trouble in the first place?

tlr online
27-01-08, 19:46
hmm how did they get in all this trouble in the first place?

Incompetent management.

Seb_01225
27-01-08, 19:48
Incompetent management.

ah i see!

trXD
27-01-08, 19:51
Incompetent management.

:eek: b****-slap!

Shrantellatessa
27-01-08, 19:52
I am alright with delayed game...but what if they cancel it?!

Oh!!! Don't scare me please :(

fondantcookie
27-01-08, 19:59
Hmmm... I sense another AOD here...

SCi desperate for cash... Put the pressure on Eidos/Crystal to get Underworld out this financial year...

Crap product....

tampi
27-01-08, 20:02
Oh!!! Don't scare me please :(

I am really scared about this situation a long time ago. :rolleyes::(
But I hope that always has a positive output all this.
The economic situation of many companies is nothing bright, but even in the darkest hour there is always someone who comes benefited. Let us hope that in the worst possible case, the situation of "bargain" for SCI is an incentive for the purchase and improvement by any other company.

Perhaps one day that we have to learn to speak Chinese. :cln::D
And Lara has hers eyes more almond-shaped. :cln:

trXD
27-01-08, 20:10
Worst case scenario- Sci hits rock bottom and cancels underworld
Ok case scenario- Sci manages to stay alive and underworld is released at christmas
Best case scenario- sci hits rock bottom and sells crystal to ubisoft and tomb raider lived happily ever after... with a sooner release date.

Joshorty
27-01-08, 20:41
Do you think it has something to do with the game beign released 'MULTI-PLATFORM' - INGLY?

If it does, then darn they should really just DROP IT:( But darn what do I know of the money going down the drain. Aiya yeah I do sense another AOD kinda thing...hope we're wrong.

Josh Raider
27-01-08, 20:51
Yep looks like another AOD....
God :cen: Damn!

amiro1989
27-01-08, 20:56
Ok case scenario- Sci manages to stay alive and underworld is released at christmas
Best case scenario- sci hits rock bottom and sells crystal to ubisoft and tomb raider lived happily ever after... with a sooner release date.

Since I'm used to the worst with SCi, I guess the first choice is the most likely to happen.

Lara's home
27-01-08, 21:00

I would have thought that the best case scenario was that everything goes well with SCi?

TRBeth
27-01-08, 21:09
Tomb Raider is not going to die, even if SCI goes under. You can bet the vultures will be circling to pick off the meat of what is left behind--and big on that list is TR and Hitman. If SCI can not make it, as the article implies, they will have to sell, be taken over, etc. And when that happens, their assets go with the buyer. Frankly, I can't say that would necessarily be a bad thing for the game or even the franchise.

If the situation is that bad, then SCI should sell now before they are taken by force to the cleaners....even if they are not going to get what they think the company is worth.

Josh Raider
27-01-08, 21:12
I think the TR franchise going to a different company would be the best thing to ever happen to it. Then maybe we could get fully finished TR games that are not rushed out.

badfatt
27-01-08, 21:25
Yes, because no other business would ever care about money more than making good games....

Mona Sax
27-01-08, 21:29
Yes, because no other business would ever care about money more than making good games....
You're totally right, but... Eidos/SCi doesn't only want to make a lot of money, they have to. They depend on it, they always have, since the early days. That's one of the reasons the later TRs were rushed and/or streamlined. If another, bigger, more successful company took over, maybe TR could become less of a cash cow, more experimental, more daring, more mature. That's what I hope for, anyway.

Josh Raider
27-01-08, 21:32
@ badfatt
I'm not saying that, it's just that Eidos has always pushed the TR games out too soon. Maybe not the early ones but CORE were made to release one each year, they should have been given more time. Then we have the whole AOD situation and Legend to some extent. I think if the franchise was to be sold to another company with a better financial track record, the series could finally get back on track.

You're totally right, but... Eidos/SCi doesn't only want to make a lot of money, they have to. They depend on it, they always have, since the early days. That's one of the reasons the later TRs were rushed and/or streamlined. If another, bigger, more successful company took over, maybe TR could become less of a cash cow, more experimental, more daring, more mature. That's what I hope for, anyway.

Exactly :)

aussie500
27-01-08, 21:46
This is ancient news, and does not effect Tomb Raider Underworld's development, the game was put back for other reasons before any of this happened.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=116404

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=116447

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=117071

tlr online
27-01-08, 21:55
Moving to General Chat :wve:

Quasimodo
27-01-08, 21:59
I'm still puzzled as to how people have this idea that the last-gen ports are some recent decision? Recent announcement, yes, but how blind do you have to be to think that recent announcement = recently begun work? If it's been announced, it's already pretty far along, and has probably been in the works for a good year now. TRU itself was in the works for how long.. 2 years?... before it was announced? It's not going to be a formal decision until it's passed the proof of concept stage and gotten the green light. I mean, if we were talking about cell phone ports, that would be a different matter, but PS2/Wii ports?

I'm totally in love with your condescending tone :P

aussie500
27-01-08, 22:32
That raises two questions, though...
What is the nature of SCi's deal for Conan? Publishing or just distribution? If it's the former, it could be quite significant, but if it's the latter, all they're getting is a cut out of retail sales revenues, and not a dime out of subscription fees.
Secondly, awards are one thing, but what is the strength of the Conan license? Can it really compete with the likes of WoW or the LoTR MMO?

Distribution of the boxed version only, Eidos gets nothing from the online distribution, game will do fantastic, but it will hardly make up for the delayed release of TR8

Incompetent management.

Management seemed to be doing fine to me, they employed an expert to oversee the expansion of the company, they had already arranged to cover most of the shortfall the delayed games would cause, if anything is to blame it is the poor start of the PS3.

They were trying to expand, and develop new avenues of income in order to do that, which is the main reason they were looking for a buyer, not that they needed to, but they wanted a bigger more competitive company able to get a bigger share of the games market. SCi have dramatically increased Eidos's ability to produce games for a wider variety of platforms, but expansion costs money, and they are still only small compared to most of the big name companies. Even now l do not see them selling for less than they think the company is worth, short of a hostile takeover they will bounce back fine next year, as usual release a new Tomb Raider game and the shareholders will be happy. That Tomb Raider is only one of many games in development does not seem to have changed anything.

Shrantellatessa
28-01-08, 00:46

I don't think so, TR is a legendary & very successful game, so I think that there are many companies that were/are dreaming of buying it at any price, so don't worry IMO. ;)

You might want to check the date on that. The new appointments happened after this report.

Thanks for correcting me, I feel slightly better now, new appointments mean new management = continuation of the game, hopefully. :)

Lara's Backpack
28-01-08, 00:49

:vlol:

Oh yeah... she's going to donate a couple mil to a gaming coporation. Is this before or after she gets back from another 3rd world country?