PDA

View Full Version : U.S. spy satellite to slam Earthside, contain hazardous materials! WTF!?

tlr online
28-01-08, 11:55
A large US spy satellite has lost power and could hit the Earth in late February or March, government officials have said. The satellite, which is now out of control, could contain hazardous materials, and it's unknown where on our planet it might come down.

Gordon Johndroe, a spokesman for the National Security Council said, "Appropriate government agencies are monitoring the situation...Numerous satellites over the years have come out of orbit and fallen harmlessly. We are looking at potential options to mitigate any possible damage this satellite may cause."

el Reg (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/28/spy_satellite_to_slam_earthside/)

What are "hazardous materials" doing on a spy satellite in the first place?

kryptonite23
28-01-08, 11:57
Hazerdous material came from outer space and damge the satellites IMO.

DREWY
28-01-08, 11:58
Nuclear power maybe? Wonder if there will be a bounty on the first piece, like last time. Especially the camera :whi:

tlr online
28-01-08, 11:59
Apparently, "It's estimated that the spacecraft weighs about 20,000lb - roughly the size of a small bus - and might contain beryllium: a light metal with a high melting point that's used in the defense and aerospace industries."

Drone
28-01-08, 12:03
The satellite, which is now out of control this is really weird.

We live like on a volcano. Nobody feels the responsibilities :(

What are "hazardous materials" doing on a spy satellite in the first place? maybe some nuclear waste what they want to get rid of.

Tthe Spirit
28-01-08, 12:23
This is terrible.
Our world is full of desasters.
Better keep calm.
My country is blasting as well :p :p

Well, just hope they plan for a way to get rid of it.
ARMAGEDDON TIME...

Rivendell
28-01-08, 13:04
Slightly worrying :\

Larson_1988
28-01-08, 13:09
I read about a few days ago, and it scared the **** out of me! :(

MrBear
28-01-08, 13:18
maybe some nuclear waste what they want to get rid of.

I think it would be a very poor financial choice to load satellites with nuclear waste :p

It doesn't sound very good at all, but I'm sure they've got it under control.. It's probably not that hard to calculate where it'll crash down.. But okay, there is a slight chance it might fall down where there are people - although the odds are very low :) I think the safe bet would be that it'll hit an ocean.. my point is, don't go worry it'll fall down on you :p

PARANOIA
28-01-08, 13:23
I think it would be a very poor financial choice to load satellites with nuclear waste :p

It doesn't sound very good at all, but I'm sure they've got it under control.. It's probably not that hard to calculate where it'll crash down.. But okay, there is a slight chance it might fall down where there are people - although the odds are very low :) I think the safe bet would be that it'll hit an ocean.. my point is, don't go worry it'll fall down on you :p

The odds of it falling in a highly populated area are equal to it falling into somewhere like, say, the Pacific Ocean.

ajrich17901
28-01-08, 13:43
Wow now i heard everything im stayin indoors my luck id be the one its come down on __-

tombraider123
28-01-08, 13:44
This scares me more than any story I have heard about asteroids for some reason.

interstellardave
28-01-08, 13:48
This scares me more than any story I have heard about asteroids for some reason.

This will do nothing in comparison to a large asteroid. A large enough asteroid will kill life on a global scale. This might kill a few people in the worst case scenario. It would basically have to land right on top of people--and that's highly unlikely.

tlr online
28-01-08, 13:51
Dinner with a loved one - 100
Short weekend in Venice - 500
Crippled spy satellite falling from space and hitting the White House - Priceless!

Larson_1988
28-01-08, 13:53
Crippled spy satellite falling from space and hitting the White House - Priceless!

Do you seriously mean that? :vlol:

tombraider123
28-01-08, 13:57

Lmao :vlol:

Genocide
28-01-08, 14:02
Reminds of the old National Lottery Ad's
i can imagine it now that big-assed finger flying about everywhere saying "It'll land on YOOO"

Conway
28-01-08, 14:04
Wouldn't be surprised if one of these days something as big as a bus just fell on my roof.

tlr online
28-01-08, 14:05
I look up everytime I leave my house :D

Geck-o-Lizard
28-01-08, 14:07
Can't they, like, shoot it out of orbit into space?

interstellardave
28-01-08, 14:11
Can't they, like, shoot it out of orbit into space?

I doubt they have a weapon that could enter orbit and hit a target that small... and, if they did, it could lead to many smaller fragments flying around up there possibly hitting some of the thousands of other satellites.

Keir_Eidos
28-01-08, 14:24

Stole my line! I was going to say it'd be awesome if it hit George W. on the head*.

*Disclaimer: For the benefit of all neo-cons and republicans, I don't really wish death on people, not even George Bush. At least not publicly.

PARANOIA
28-01-08, 14:27
Stole my line! I was going to say it'd be awesome if it hit George W. on the head*.

*Disclaimer: For the benefit of all neo-cons and republicans, I don't really wish death on people, not even George Bush. At least not publicly.

That's okay, because I'm a Republican, and I wish death on Bush. He has moderate liberal policies.

Rexie
28-01-08, 14:42
would be a nice birthday present on March..falling on my aunt...:rolleyes:
but serously..I think it would burn up before falling down on earth...

Grenade
28-01-08, 14:47
I'm scared...

rowanlim
28-01-08, 15:09
It's a terrifying thought. The spacecraft probably went up to space as a harmless lump, but due to exposure to the solar winds & radiation, it may fall back to Earth as a deadly radioactive mass. Horrible thought :(

SamReeves
28-01-08, 16:50
Without a doubt NORAD is watching this one. They could scuttle some missiles to intercept it.

PARANOIA
28-01-08, 16:53
Without a doubt NORAD is watching this one. They could scuttle some missiles to intercept it.

They would never do that. It makes too much sense.

nick-xx
28-01-08, 16:55
This will do nothing in comparison to a large asteroid. A large enough asteroid will kill life on a global scale. This might kill a few people in the worst case scenario. It would basically have to land right on top of people--and that's highly unlikely.

It could hit a house/school and demolish it completely...

Angelus
28-01-08, 17:06
I look up everytime I leave my house :D

I run out of my house.

"NOT GONNA CAAAATCH ME!"

Lenochka
28-01-08, 17:09
Omg thats crazy!
I hope it doesnt hurt anyone on its way down. Hopefully it just falls into a pool or something xD

JamesFKirk
28-01-08, 17:10
Iridium is not a friendly material either, and still, it falls on your head every day...
Also, the probablities of something even this heavy (which, in fact, is pretty light, compared what flies into the atmosphere every now and then...)
Sorry to spoil your dreams of hasting the exchange in White House, but the satelite will most likely burn harmlessly in the atmosphere.

MrBear
28-01-08, 17:13
The odds of it falling in a highly populated area are equal to it falling into somewhere like, say, the Pacific Ocean.

And how do you calculate that? Is it 60 or 70 % of the world's surface that's water, or more? I can't remember.. And then there is all the land that's not inhabitated by man, jungles and deserts and tundra, Arctica and Antarctica... How can the odds be equal?

Draco
28-01-08, 17:19

Uh...no...highly populated areas barely scratch the surface of the planet.

Cochrane
28-01-08, 17:43
Well, if it's Beryllium, then I think it won't be too much of a problem. It's not a nice material, but if handled correctly and carefully once the satellite is down, it should not be too difficult to get it removed and disposed of correctly.

I'd say the chances of getting hit by a falling satellite are comparable to the chances of getting hit by pieces from a plane crash in the air. Only that satellite parts are much smaller than plane parts, of course, and will cause less damage. There is a risk, just like there is a risk getting up in the morning, crossing the street or sticking your face in a fan, but it's not substantial enough to worry.

interstellardave
28-01-08, 17:46
It could hit a house/school and demolish it completely...

I said it could hit people... but it's statistically very unlikely. This is like a small asteroid, and small asteroids hit all the time and who do they kill? 1-2 people a decade? I was mainly comparing it to what you usually hear about (big asteroids)... and this is no threat at all compared to that eventuality. Hence, no reason for people to worry.

Twilight
28-01-08, 17:48

:vlol:

seriously though, i hope nothing terrible happens to innocent ppl.

GWB isnt innocent :pi:

PARANOIA
28-01-08, 17:55
GWB isnt innocent :pi:

Hey, what President is? And don't say Kennedy, he had his skeletons in the closet.

Capt. Murphy
28-01-08, 19:25
I'd almost request that I could Sig ^that statement. Not so much that it's funny, but rather... eh, don't want to say something that might get me banned. What would be the use of stooping to that level?

It's possbile it could explode and break up in the atmosphere and shower hazardous material over a large populated area (al'a Space Shuttle Columbia back in '03) instead of staying as one fiery mass of death where it's like a lottery to see who will it smash.

This will be interesting. :pi: Not that that's good of course.

bett
28-01-08, 19:28

Actually I was paying attention in astronomy this morning and when a satellite or anything falls from space there's a greater chance it'll fall into the oceans

Mad Tony
28-01-08, 19:46
Actually I was paying attention in astronomy this morning and when a satellite or anything falls from space there's a greater chance it'll fall into the oceansThat seems logical. After all, 70% of the Earth's surface is covered by water and it's not like the whole land is covered in cities either.

nick-xx
28-01-08, 19:47
But also has others factors like the satellite trajectory and direction.

2kool4u
28-01-08, 19:50
there is a chance they can blow it out of the sky right?

Capt. Murphy
28-01-08, 19:50
But also has others factors like the satellite trajectory and direction.
I would think they'd have at least an estimate of where it will come down... Within so many hundreds of miles. If not, Why? :confused:

Don't they have computers for this stuff? :p

nick-xx
28-01-08, 20:30
ya, but they have not told us where it will drop...

MrBear
28-01-08, 21:01
Perhaps it's not possible to calculate yet because of factors that we have no control over :)

Cochrane
28-01-08, 21:23

Not really. At least nobody has ever succesfully tried doing that. Besides, there's no real point. The flight path is monitored, so if it goes down someplace where people live (which is highly unlikely), people will know soon enough to take appropriate action.

Earthcane
28-01-08, 21:28
Just heard about this kalfunkum.

Sounds pretty serious, but as some other people said I'm sure there's no
direct threat to human life? :confused:

Lets hope this is just a one-off blip, we dont want it to start raining satellites :mis:

Capt. Murphy
28-01-08, 21:39
Not really. At least nobody has ever succesfully tried doing that. Besides, there's no real point. The flight path is monitored, so if it goes down someplace where people live (which is highly unlikely), people will know soon enough to take appropriate action.
News Bulletin: This just in... Local authorities are asking that all citizens withine a 500 mile radius stick their heads between their legs and kiss their asses goodbye!

:vlol: j/k

Drone
28-01-08, 21:51
if it's possible maybe they just can approach and capture it :/ It's weird in hi-tech days they can't get a satt. which is close to earth orbit

nick-xx
28-01-08, 21:56
Hmm...i just wondering why they have never put a self-destruct system in any satellite. then if anything worst happen, they can just blow it completely.

DREWY
28-01-08, 21:57
The flight path is monitored, so if it goes down someplace where people live (which is highly unlikely), people will know soon enough to take appropriate action.

I know I would if space junk the size of a bus was heading my way.
I'd be taking steps - big ones and plenty of 'em! :D

MrBear
28-01-08, 21:58
if it's possible maybe they just can approach and capture it :/ It's weird in hi-tech days they can't get a satt. which is close to earth orbit

The thing is, you can't just send up some aircraft to retrieve it - everything they launch into orbit or to the moon or further away is scheduled a long time ahead... to plan a retrieval of the damaged satellite will cost money and take time and it's not even sure the thing will still be there when they get about to send something up to get it down.. :)

edit: nick-xx: if you assume everything will work as supposed to, you won't need a self-destruct option.. it'll only cost you alot of money to implement it on all your satellites and only a few of them will end up actually needing it :)

Chris.Talg0
28-01-08, 22:00
if it lands into the ocean wont it cause a mini tsunami or something?:(

MrBear
28-01-08, 22:00
if it lands into the ocean wont it cause a mini tsunami or something?:(

No, it's only the size of a bus :) just a small blop in the big blue :D no worries..

xcrushterx
28-01-08, 22:02
I wouldn't have thought so, considering the Earth is 70% water and only 30% land. Even less of that land is populated, let alone highly populated.

MrBear
28-01-08, 22:04
I wouldn't have thought so, considering the Earth is 70% water and only 30% land. Even less of that land is populated, let alone highly populated.

We are a couple of people who've questioned the same thing :) and seeing as he's not making any counter-argumentation to any of us, I'll keep believing what my rational brain says :)

xcrushterx
28-01-08, 22:06
We are a couple of people who've questioned the same thing :) and seeing as he's not making any counter-argumentation to any of us, I'll keep believing what my rational brain says :)
*Is slow*

Sorry, didn't read in far enough to get to those replies. :p

Drone
28-01-08, 22:07
The thing is, you can't just send up some aircraft to retrieve it - everything they launch into orbit or to the moon or further away is scheduled a long time ahead... to plan a retrieval of the damaged satellite will cost money and take time and it's not even sure the thing will still be there when they get about to send something up to get it down.. :)

crap yup ... Concur

Betal
28-01-08, 22:09
I'm just thinking. What if I get it on my head.:cln:

Haven't read the whole article yet.:p

nick-xx
28-01-08, 22:11
Seeing what has happened in the past with similar cases, we can expect it will be safe. I will get more worried if it weight tons and tons of metal, but its just a weight of a bus.

MrBear
28-01-08, 22:14
I'm just thinking. What if I get it on my head.:cln:

I promise you'll get a major head ache ;)

bett
28-01-08, 23:23

If you blow up a satellite, there's still millions of pieces of it floating around in space. Those small pieces could still fall to Earth or depending on what part of space they're in they could cause damage to telecommunications satellites, the ISS, space shuttles, pretty much anything in space. So, blowing a satellite out of the sky isn't necessarily the safest thing to do

_Lam
28-01-08, 23:26
I hope it won't crash on my house. :D

TombFreak
28-01-08, 23:40
It's not like it could wipe out the human population. Maybe just destroy a small city, you never know, it could fall in the US. Maybe the US will rumble! :jmp:

knutroald
28-01-08, 23:46
destroy a small city? O_o

It's only the size of a small buss:p And there's like an 80% chance it goes in the ocean:)

rowanlim
29-01-08, 01:55
destroy a small city? O_o

It's only the size of a small buss:p And there's like an 80% chance it goes in the ocean:)

How'd you know there's an 80% chance that it'll land in the ocean? It's out of control...we can't dictate its crash site :(

Plus the size of a small bus? that'll only mean friction with the atmosphere would make it a burning mass, since metal doesn't melt easily, the fire won't be snuffed out by the time it reaches Earth's surface. Scary thought :yik:

Not trying to poke at you, knutroald :hug:

I'm just flipping out a little :rolleyes:

Twilight
29-01-08, 04:28
TombFreak<> thats not very nice. not everyone should be blamed for what people in power did.

Hey, what President is? And don't say Kennedy, he had his skeletons in the closet.

no one's innocent, but he just piles diasters one on top of another.

nothingtolose
29-01-08, 04:46
What if it falls into Iran?

Hazardous materials?... :confused:

DREWY
29-01-08, 04:54
What if it falls into Iran?

Hazardous materials?... :confused:

Well if it's radioactive, then thats all the proof needed of WMD's :D

TombFreak
29-01-08, 04:57
TombFreak<> thats not very nice. not everyone should be blamed for what people in power did.

no one's innocent, but he just piles diasters one on top of another.

It wasn't meant to be offense, what, you want to go all drama queen and go , " Oh no!! a satilite heading for Earth, we're all doomed!! " I'm trying to stay positive and you never know it could hit the US. This is no way being offense to you, just pointing myself out. I'm not going to spend the next month worrying about a little satilite.

Mad Tony
29-01-08, 07:21
It's not like it could wipe out the human population. Maybe just destroy a small city, you never know, it could fall in the US. Maybe the US will rumble! :jmp:Grow up. I'm sure you'd love it if it hit your town.

It wasn't meant to be offense, what, you want to go all drama queen and go , " Oh no!! a satilite heading for Earth, we're all doomed!! " I'm trying to stay positive and you never know it could hit the US. This is no way being offense to you, just pointing myself out. I'm not going to spend the next month worrying about a little satilite.You can still stay positive without making pathetic racist comments.

Gregori
29-01-08, 07:27
racist how?

Mad Tony
29-01-08, 07:38
racist how?Read Tomb Freak's first comment again. I'm sure you'll see why.

Gregori
29-01-08, 07:44
I fail to see the racism there. The US put a satelite with hazardous material into orbit so If any country derserves to be smacked with it, that would certainly be the US. Poetic justice.

I'm not hoping for the satelite to hit anyone however. Its not the average US citizens fault their goverment are a bunch of jerks. Most likely it will go into the ocean,

touchthesky
29-01-08, 08:08
It's not like it could wipe out the human population. Maybe just destroy a small city, you never know, it could fall in the US. Maybe the US will rumble! :jmp:

That's not fair. There are people here who are genuinely worried about this problem, and you're just ripping them?
Also, there are Americans on this site, how would you like your country to be belittled and taken the **** out of?

That comment was unnecessary and pathetic, whether you meant it or not. Grow up.

Gregori
29-01-08, 08:10
That's not fair. There are people here who are genuinely worried about this problem, and you're just ripping them?
Also, there are Americans on this site, how would you like your country to be belittled and taken the p*ss out of?

That comment was unnecessary and pathetic, whether you meant it or not. Grow up.

Surely you're old enough to have a sense of humour?

touchthesky
29-01-08, 08:25
Surely you're old enough to have a sense of humour?

If it was remotely funny, and I had anything against Americans, maybe. But as it stands, I see that comment as immature and as somebody else stated, simply racist.

Gregori
29-01-08, 08:28
If it was remotely funny, and I had anything against Americans, maybe. But as it stands, I see that comment as immature and as somebody else stated, simply racist.

this is a serious thread :mad:

rowanlim
29-01-08, 08:43
This thread has turned really ugly :(

We all should be concerned about this, not whether the US deserved it or not. It decided to put a spacecraft in space, not drop one to Earth. Think of the bigger issue here, people...not who deserves to be snuffed out, only God/fate will decide that, but about what can we do, how do we prepare for it?

touchthesky
29-01-08, 08:45
Think of the bigger issue here, people...not who deserves to be snuffed out, only God/fate will decide that, but about what can we do, how do we prepare for it?

I hope it doesn't come to anything that serious. I guess, though, there will be masks for people who are extremely worried.

Its a shame there is no way to change it's direction, it would be such a shame for people to get hurt.

Twilight
29-01-08, 08:47
now wait a minute, i live in the US and have no control over what NASA or whatever puts in space and ****s up. now if it lands in the US that's some sort of positive justice? i'm angry that they couldnt control it or prevent this situation, but dont act like it's everyone of that same country's fault.

Gregori
29-01-08, 08:47
It'll probably land in the sea. Most of the earth's land isn't even occupied.

Bigger objects hit the Earth all the time. not much to worry about.

Earthcane
29-01-08, 08:48
^^ Probably true.

Either that or land in a pretty low-populated area, or an area
with no population at all.

rowanlim
29-01-08, 09:15
We probably should try to find out more before mass panic takes over. What are the chances that the craft will hit a populated area?

Nausinous
29-01-08, 10:29
Slightly worrying :\

Slightly worrying that there are highly paid people who we trust with our lives to control these satelites and the rest of world. Yet they can't just keep ONE satellite in orbit. Wow, I feel so much safer in this world, now. YIPEE! For the goverment :jmp:

Mr.Burns
29-01-08, 10:58
Satellites can only stay in orbit for so long. A standard geosynchronous commercial grade satellite typically has a lifespan of 15-20 years. After which, it's fuel supply runs out and can't maintain a stable orbit. When that happens, it falls to Earth and in most cases, burns up in reentry. This is of course assuming that the satellite doesn't suffer a failure while up there.

PARANOIA
29-01-08, 13:36
Satellites can only stay in orbit for so long. A standard geosynchronous commercial grade satellite typically has a lifespan of 15-20 years. After which, it's fuel supply runs out and can't maintain a stable orbit. When that happens, it falls to Earth and in most cases, burns up in reentry. This is of course assuming that the satellite doesn't suffer a failure while up there.

Exactly.

Has anyone ever watched GoldenEye?

interstellardave
29-01-08, 14:09
People need to chill out... jeez... this isn't the 1st satellite that's fallen to eath and it certainly won't be the last. You've got more chance of being hit by lightening this year than you have of being hit by a satellite.

MrBear
29-01-08, 14:59
^ Exactly.. As I've been saying, there's no need to worry.. if you're concerned about this there are a thousand other things you should be worried about as well, and quite frankly: life's too short :)

calico25
29-01-08, 15:29
People need to chill out... jeez... this isn't the 1st satellite that's fallen to eath and it certainly won't be the last. You've got more chance of being hit by lightening this year than you have of being hit by a satellite.

No kidding, I can't believe people are so bent out of shape about this, its nothing new.

This is not Cloverfield, the satellite is not going to create a huge monster if it falls into the sea like in the movie.

myrmaad
29-01-08, 16:21
That's okay, because I'm a Republican, and I wish death on Bush. He has moderate liberal policies.

Wow. You're really confused. :)

PARANOIA
29-01-08, 16:23
Wow. You're really confused. :)

Er, hello? Illegal immigration? Foreign policy?

myrmaad
29-01-08, 16:24
Yeah? So what. You sound like the ideals you're espousing are better suited to a "Libertarian". You should read up on that.

PARANOIA
29-01-08, 16:26
Yeah? So what. You sound like the ideals you're espousing are better suited to a "Libertarian". You should read up on that.

Yes, I've read about the Libertarian party. But I'm not that big a fan of Ron Paul (frankly, I prefer Paul to McCain). I would vote Libertarian if we had the single transferable vote. But we don't, so I have to defer (unwillingly, mind you) to the Conservative agenda.

TombFreak
29-01-08, 16:44
Also, there are Americans on this site, how would you like your country to be belittled and taken the p*ss out of?

Umm, I live in the US. I'm not gonna say that we are not gonna get hit. Every geographal location has chance.

myrmaad
29-01-08, 16:49
^ LOL.

I'm American too. Concerned? Not even a little bit. :wve: I mentioned before that I'm not afraid to die, wouldn't that be the funniest way to go, ever! It's got my name written all over it!

Here lies myrmaad, struck down by a stray satellite. May she RIP.

interstellardave
29-01-08, 16:51
^ LOL.

I'm American too. Concerned? Not even a little bit. :wve: I mentioned before that I'm not afraid to die, wouldn't that be the funniest way to go, ever! It's got my name written all over it!

If it hits on the bayshore I'll be thinking of you!

And TLR could close and sticky this thread as a permanent memorial to you!

myrmaad
29-01-08, 16:52
Aww_www. So Sweet :hug:

knutroald
29-01-08, 16:53
How'd you know there's an 80% chance that it'll land in the ocean? It's out of control...we can't dictate its crash site :(

Plus the size of a small bus? that'll only mean friction with the atmosphere would make it a burning mass, since metal doesn't melt easily, the fire won't be snuffed out by the time it reaches Earth's surface. Scary thought :yik:

Not trying to poke at you, knutroald :hug:

I'm just flipping out a little :rolleyes:

Well, I was justing thinking since about 80% of the earth or so is ocean:)

PARANOIA
29-01-08, 16:54
Well, I was justing thinking since about 80% of the earth or so is ocean:)

Are you talking about surface area or volume?

myrmaad
29-01-08, 16:55
I think this just came up in chemistry class. Had to do with the amount of hydrogen and oxygen in our atmosphere...

And TLR could close and sticky this thread as a permanent memorial to you!

Maybe I should work on that epitaph! :D

Gregori
29-01-08, 17:54
Er, hello? Illegal immigration? Foreign policy?

Invading two countries is a liberal foreign policy?

Building a gigantic wall on US/Mexico border is a liberal immigration policy?

Placing new limits on stem cell research/abortion is liberal?

Abducting foreign citizens and putting them in prisons in a legal limbo without charges or a fair trial is liberal?

Redefining torture to permit methods that would have been illegal is liberal?

A Patriot Act that gives the goverment practically unlimited powers to spy on its own citizens is liberal?

SamReeves
29-01-08, 17:56

Abducting foreign citizens and putting them in prisons in a legal limbo without charges or a fair trial is liberal?

A Patriot Act that gives the goverment practically unlimited powers to spy on its own citizens is liberal?

:off:

PARANOIA
29-01-08, 17:57

Roosevelt and Wilson did it. Kennedy and Johnson endorsed Vietnam. You can't tell me those are liberal.

Building a gigantic wall on US/Mexico border is a liberal immigration policy?Has it been done yet? I don't think so!

Placing new limits on stem cell research/abortion is liberal?I didn't cite that.

A Patriot Act that gives the goverment practically unlimited powers to spy on its own citizens is liberal?Oh, the melodrama! You take one simple post I make and turn it into a whirlwind of political propaganda. Please spare me the Freud, and let's stay on topic.

myrmaad
29-01-08, 17:58
I thought my epitaph was a better diversion anyway. :(

tomblover
29-01-08, 17:58
I really hope it isn't radioactive waste. :yik:

Scary, really.

Gregori
29-01-08, 18:10
Roosevelt and Wilson did it. Kennedy and Johnson endorsed Vietnam. You can't tell me those are liberal.

Has it been done yet? I don't think so!

I didn't cite that.

Oh, the melodrama! You take one simple post I make and turn it into a whirlwind of political propaganda. Please spare me the Freud, and let's stay on topic.

Where's the political "propaganda"? I cited multiple factual examples of policies of the Bush administration that are far from liberal. You can't easily refute this, so instead you accuse me of propaganda and melodrama and being "off topic". You weren't so concerned about it being off topic when you brought it up!

myrmaad
29-01-08, 18:13
Can't we just all get along? You're my friends, I don't want to be depressed and upset today. We all have different opinions and my stupid opinions are just as valid as your stupid opinions. :D

How about them GIANTS?

danitiwa
29-01-08, 18:16
Oh Noz! :/

nick-xx
29-01-08, 19:00
bok bok bok bok bok...

Anybody know what sort of hazardous stuff is in this satelite? Is it radioactive?

Oh god, have you read the article or at least know these materials??

Gregori
29-01-08, 19:07
Oh god, have you read the article or at least know these materials??

No, I didn't read the article. I only heard about the satelite falling on the radio..

Cochrane
29-01-08, 19:18
The article says that the satellite could possibly contain beryllium. Beryllium is harmful, but it's not like "OMG poison all life within twenty miles or thirty kilometers is gonna die!!!". If handled properly, there is rather little danger associated with it, so the main problem will be making sure that the remains of the satellite, if they hit land, are handled by someone who knows what he's doing.

There is no impending apocalypse. This satellite is not going to kill you.

(This announcement is directed at anyone who is in panic right now)

James_Rutland
29-01-08, 20:01
Ack.. Imagine if it caused a Virus which spreads and kills millions of people, and loads of places get Nuked, ah, too much Resident Evil. :D

Cochrane
29-01-08, 20:21
Resident Evil? Michael Crichton's "The Andromeda Strain" has had this concept long before people were even thinking about making Resident Evil.

Obscure
29-01-08, 20:25
Can you imagine how unlucky and tragic it would be if it hit you or someone you knew.... Or anyone for that matter.

James_Rutland
29-01-08, 20:49
I just hope it hits no one in UK mostly, mostly my entire family are here.

Forwen
29-01-08, 20:58
Are people so starving for excitement in their secure little everyday life bubbles that they'll get afraid of a stray satellite? My muesli terrifies me more than that.

myrmaad
29-01-08, 21:07
Forwen, Please...
You have to Tell Me!
I'm begging you!!
What is it with the freakin' muesli?????

Sir Croft
29-01-08, 21:36
I'm not that worried :)

myrmaad
29-01-08, 21:39
I still think it would qualify as one of the most random finishes ever. I'd take that.

Forwen
29-01-08, 21:45
Forwen, Please...
You have to Tell Me!
I'm begging you!!
What is it with the freakin' muesli?????

Well what can be? The healthier the more awful, all oat and nut (bleh) and a handful of raisins (bleh) and I keep forgetting to buy some dried fruit to remedy this sorry fact of life. I also can never get the amount right and end up throwing half of it out, something I hate doing (throwing food out) and thus, every new day literally brings a new challenge with it (that bugger).

myrmaad
29-01-08, 21:49
Finally!! I have answers! Every morning, I watch with baited breath for you to post the score, wondering, wondering What Could It Mean? Finally I can have peace!

*chuckles imagining what tomorrow will bring, a victory, or the agony of defeat*

da tomb raider!
29-01-08, 22:20
For my luck it'll probably fall on me.

spikejones
29-01-08, 23:04
I'm sure that there are some top level mathematicians that can use some complex physics equations to predict fairly accurately where the thing (or parts thereof) will land. Call me crazy, but I'm not even worried about it one bit. Odds are if I hadn't seen this thread, I wouldn't even know about the thing after it crashed.

My vote goes to it partially burning and breaking apart upon re-entry, and the pieces scattering across a several mile radius. But hey, if it manages to stay intact and lands within a reasonable distance offshore from the nearest beach...surfs up. I'll post some pics:jmp:

TRexbait
30-01-08, 03:45
Head for the hills, the world is coming to an end. Seriously though, that is scary, when it call, there is a chance that people could be killed.

Draco
30-01-08, 07:05
Its not the average US citizens fault their goverment are a bunch of jerks.

Actually it is.

myrmaad
30-01-08, 07:24
I voted for the other guy who won the election.

Gregori
30-01-08, 08:26
I voted for the other guy who won the election.

Al Gore or John Kerry?

myrmaad
30-01-08, 08:33
Gore, of course.

Like AOD, I prefer to pretend that the rest was just a dream.

j/k

interstellardave
30-01-08, 11:47
You know, it's no surprise that this topic has a good deal of US-bashing in it. Need I remind people that the US is far from the only country that has put satellites into orbit? And not the only one to put spy satellites in orbit either. So why not give it rest? It's tiresome after a while.

Zac Medley
30-01-08, 11:53
The spacecraft probably went up to space as a harmless lump,

What if it was loaded with nuclear warheads? I'd say that was "hazardous material."

Anyone remember the movie Defcon 4?

You missed one: Writing a legal brief that lays the groundwork for the future disarmament of US Citizens. Yep, he's a liberal. The rest of that stuff is just for show.

myrmaad
30-01-08, 12:06
Please, he's definitely not a liberal, maybe he's simply a nitwit.

I wish I had time to ask about this, but I cannot mess around here any longer this morning!
Writing a legal brief that lays the groundwork for the future disarmament of US Citizens.

Zac Medley
30-01-08, 12:09
Myr: Article here (http://www.gunowners.org/a012508.htm).

These guys are helping to rally the troops (http://www.gunowners.org/).

myrmaad
30-01-08, 12:12
I couldn't help it, I was too curious! And all I can say is

"What fresh insanity is this?" That's pure madness.

Gregori
30-01-08, 12:14
http://www.gunowners.org/a122007.htm

This headline is just LOL!!

Guess they didn't think of knives!

Gun control is supposed to be proof that Bush is a 'liberal'? I want some of those drugs too!!

myrmaad
30-01-08, 12:18
Hopefully we can all agree he's :cen: worm!

Zac Medley
30-01-08, 12:20
@ Gregori: I don't think you need any. Looks like you might have OD'd on sarcasm already. :)

It's weird, when he was first elected I remember reading a conservative preacher speculate that he was like the Trojan horse, and that under the guise of conservatism he would take us further down the road to liberalism than any other. Who knew?

Gregori
30-01-08, 12:23
@ Gregori: I don't think you need any. Looks like you might have OD'd on sarcasm already. :)

Don't woorry, when I come to I don't want to remember the world as it was, I want to see it through your eyes :D

The Iraqis certainly didn't know about Bush's impending liberalism nor did the pro choicers.

Zac Medley
30-01-08, 12:27
Sounds cool. If you're ever in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA, stop by and I'll let you see the world from the perspective of a young English rebel who got stranded in the US for 20 years.

DREWY
30-01-08, 12:28
You know, it's no surprise that this topic has a good deal of US-bashing in it. Need I remind people that the US is far from the only country that has put satellites into orbit? And not the only one to put spy satellites in orbit either. So why not give it rest? It's tiresome after a while.

But it is a US satellite thats coming down Dave. Hence the anti US sentiment. If it was a Russian version the posts would be different.
(Although to be fair, if it was a Russian satellite this thread would probably have died by now)
But agreed, how many times can you flog a dead horse.

Gregori
30-01-08, 12:29
But it is a US satellite thats coming down Dave. Hence the anti US sentiment. If it was a Russian version the posts would be different.
(Although to be fair, if it was a Russian satellite this thread would probably have died by now)

In all fairness, remember the furore over China shooting down its own satelite?

Zac Medley
30-01-08, 12:30

It's not a dead horse. It's a livin' breathin' wildly' screamin' freedom party man! And y'all can do as much US bashing as y'all want, we can take what ever you've got :tmb:

Yee Hah!

myrmaad
30-01-08, 12:31
My dad always said, "be like a duck and let it roll off your back". He had a wealth of wise old sayings.

yeah I'm still screwinoff.

interstellardave
30-01-08, 12:33
In all fairness, remember the furore over China shooting down its own satelite?

"Shooting down" is a little more alarming... due to the havoc that thousands of orbiting pieces of junk could cause... better to let these things crash--they burn up mostly, anyway, and hardly anything hits the surface.

It's not a dead horse. It's a livin' breathin' wildly' screamin' freedom party man! And y'all can do as much US bashing as y'all want, we can take what ever you've got :tmb:

If it's the off-topic discussion about Bush The Evil One, I agree, it's fair-game (but still off topic in this thread). I think people are silly bashing us for having a satellite in orbit that happens to have lost power and is going to come down! That's not a crime against humanity!

Gregori
30-01-08, 12:34
any criticism of US = unfair bashing

DREWY
30-01-08, 12:36

No, if you stuff up you should get some flak. But not to go on and on and on and......

interstellardave
30-01-08, 12:37

See my last post for clarification.

Gregori
30-01-08, 12:42
No, if you stuff up you should get some flak. But not to go on and on and on and......

And the defensiveness from responsibilty goes on and on and on...

'Why are you looking at us?'

DREWY
30-01-08, 12:47
And the defensiveness from responsibilty goes on and on and on...

'Why are you looking at us?'

My point is what goes up eventually comes down, yes the US sent it up and yes we've had our share of US bashing, but does it have to go on and on ad nausium?

myrmaad
30-01-08, 12:47
I told you, and I'll tell you again, I volunteer to be the sacrificial lamb, if any real debris actually makes it through re-entry intact, I hereby volunteer to have it fall on me.

And then let the comedy writing begin.

Gregori
30-01-08, 12:51
My point is what goes up eventually comes down, yes the US sent it up and yes we've had our share of US bashing, but does it have to go on and on ad nausium?

responsibilty? Is it too much to ask?

Cochrane
30-01-08, 12:53
This thread started getting boring, at least ten pages ago. The satellite is not going to fall on you or anyone you know. The US followed generally accepted practice when using beryllium for satellite parts. Any country does so and many commercial satellites as well. There's no need to bash the US to the degree it has happened here, and I'm certainly not on record as a huge US fan myself. Whether Bush is a liberal or not (seriously, what are you smoking? I'd like to try some of it) is not the subject matter of this thread.

myrmaad: I'll join for the case that it goes down in the region of Germany, Belgium or the Netherlands.

interstellardave
30-01-08, 12:57
responsibilty?

You seem to ignore my attempts to clarify what I'm saying, so I'll say again:

Every topic that even remotely pertains to the US becomes a battleground where the US and George Bush, in particular, gets bashed mercilessly. You've brought all kinds of other issues into this topic which, while certainly valid, don't need to brought up in every topic that mentions the US. Being from the US it starts to **** me off after the 500th topic spirals into off-topic generalized anti-americanism...

So, guys and girls, how about that satellite that's apparently going to drop out of orbit? :p

DREWY
30-01-08, 13:05
Y
So, guys and girls, how about that satellite that's apparently going to drop out of orbit? :p

Yeah I just heard Dave. Its a wonder folk here haven't heard about it. It's the size of a bus you know - and it may contain haxardous materials!

myrmaad
30-01-08, 13:08
Cochrane, Excellent.

I would prefer Alexander Payne to direct the biopic, and yours?

DREWY
30-01-08, 13:10
I wonder if being hit by a piece of satellite would wash with the insurance companies?

Act of God or US Senate?

Gregori
30-01-08, 14:15
You seem to ignore my attempts to clarify what I'm saying, so I'll say again:

Every topic that even remotely pertains to the US becomes a battleground where the US and George Bush, in particular, gets bashed mercilessly. You've brought all kinds of other issues into this topic which, while certainly valid, don't need to brought up in every topic that mentions the US.

And PARANOIA brought those up in first place with his wild stories of Bush liberalism... I was perfectly fine with discussing the satelite beforehand.

You're blatantly ignoring my attempts to clarify the silliness of the claims of 'bashing'.

tlr online
30-01-08, 14:16
I wonder if being hit by a piece of satellite would wash with the insurance companies?

Act of God or US Senate?

:vlol:

Gregori
30-01-08, 14:17
lawsuit :D

http://www.physorg.com/news120898569.html

myrmaad
30-01-08, 14:29
Renuart added that, "As it looks like it might re-enter into the North American area," then the U.S. military along with the Homeland Security Department and the Federal Emergency Management Agency will either have to deal with the impact or assist Canadian or Mexican authorities.

Remember, I want to be cremated, if there's anything left, :D and in lieu of a funeral and flowers please have a party with drinks and food and dancing and lots of music. Remember how much fun we had and how much I love you. Send donations to Fair Trade.Org or the SPCA.

Got that?

interstellardave
30-01-08, 14:30
And PARANOIA brought those up in first place with his wild stories of Bush liberalism... I was perfectly fine with discussing the satelite beforehand.

You're blatantly ignoring my attempts to clarify the silliness of the claims of 'bashing'.

LOL... fair enough! ;)

I just get tired, in general, of so many topics going off-topic into generalized America-bashing. I don't necessarily say you are bashing 'cause your points are valid... it's just that topics that go like so:

specific issue---blaming america---blaming Bush---1,000 other issues to blame America/Bush for...

really bother me! People outside the US may not think anything of it; and I don't think there's any stopping it, but I will periodically express my displeasure about it!

Renuart added that, "As it looks like it might re-enter into the North American area," then the U.S. military along with the Homeland Security Department and the Federal Emergency Management Agency will either have to deal with the impact or assist Canadian or Mexican authorities

I hope it hits the US to make everyone happy... so long as it does hit where no-one is!

Cochrane
30-01-08, 14:32
Cochrane, Excellent.

I would prefer Alexander Payne to direct the biopic, and yours?

Ah, I don't really care. I'm not planning on watching it anyway.

Gregori
30-01-08, 14:33
so they were spying on us :(

interstellardave
30-01-08, 14:34
Does anyone know what the latest predictions are for when this thing may enter the atmosphere?

Gregori
30-01-08, 14:35
hey, whats that big ball of......... kablamm!!

myrmaad
30-01-08, 14:36
Does anyone know what the latest predictions are for when this thing may enter the atmosphere?

http://www.physorg.com/preview120653023.html

Cochrane
30-01-08, 15:24
so they were spying on us :(

Of course they were, and still are. But not with this satellite, as it's computer almost directly after launch.

Gregori
30-01-08, 15:26
nice

Put me in orbit with a deck chair, telescope and a mobile phone. I wish to counterspy :D

Greenkey2
30-01-08, 15:28
Funny, you're statistically more likely to get injured or killed by motor vehicles while walking down the street than anything falling from the sky

I wonder how much those odds increase if you're too busy looking up watching for this rogue satellite when you should be watching the traffic? :whi:

EDIT: @ Gregori - take some sandwiches and a good book along too; you could be waiting up there a long time ;)

nick-xx
30-01-08, 15:29

i think that thing is supposed to be secret.

Gregori
30-01-08, 15:31
On the contrary, It will be much funnier if it ends up in Iran/China and they reverse engineer it. I'm thinking those are the biggest targets of US spying atm

Cochrane
30-01-08, 15:32
nice

Put me in orbit with a deck chair, telescope and a mobile phone. I wish to counterspy :D

Oh come on, we're way past that. Nowadays, you can spy online! http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=de&geocode=&q=pentagon&ie=UTF8&ll=38.869451,-77.051132&spn=0.011828,0.030169&t=h&z=16&om=0

tlr online
30-01-08, 15:36
Oh come on, we're way past that. Nowadays, you can spy online! http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=de&geocode=&q=pentagon&ie=UTF8&ll=38.869451,-77.051132&spn=0.011828,0.030169&t=h&z=16&om=0

I'm pretty sure that Google block some areas from appearing on Google Maps, including areas of Nevada and sensitive military installations.

nick-xx
30-01-08, 15:37
^ that thing is also if im not wrong not updated in realtime.

Gregori
30-01-08, 15:39
Thats not exactly how spying goes down.

See google maps isn't very up to date like spy satelites. The facilties spy satelites are lookig for are likely concealed or underground, so they might start looking for traffic coming through a certain site etc etc

myrmaad
30-01-08, 15:56
^ that thing is also if im not wrong not updated in realtime.

No it's not in real time.

In this first pic, notice the red outilne, there's a pharmacy on that corner now.

And in the second picture, our boat is just visible in the drive, but now it's stored back near the woods.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/gearth1.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/ghome.jpg

Draco
30-01-08, 20:32
Anything falling from the sky at a high rate of speed is probably classified as hazardous...so the title of this thread is designed to provoke the anti American comments evident in this thread.

Gregori
30-01-08, 23:18
Anything falling from the sky at a high rate of speed is probably classified as hazardous...so the title of this thread is designed to provoke the anti American comments evident in this thread.

'Designed to provoke'? The thread title is the facts of the story. If the sating the facts is provocation, then how can one argue with that? A US Spy satelite is infact going to hit the earth, and it does also happen to contain hazardous materials.

The thread title hardly said something like "Evil American imperialist satelite maliciously aimed at Earth with free WMD materials inside!".

BoyTRaider
31-01-08, 02:43
I'll make sure to put up the umbrella on that day. :vlol:

Draco
31-01-08, 04:06
'Designed to provoke'? The thread title is the facts of the story. If the sating the facts is provocation, then how can one argue with that? A US Spy satelite is infact going to hit the earth, and it does also happen to contain hazardous materials.

The thread title hardly said something like "Evil American imperialist satelite maliciously aimed at Earth with free WMD materials inside!".

U.S. spy satellite to slam Earthside, contain hazardous materials! WTF!?

First the title of the thread established ownership and responsibility of the soon to follow apocalypse, which is rule one in political propoganda pieces.

Second, the word 'spy' denotes an underworld implication that has a tendency to incite negative feelings or thoughts.

Third, the word 'slam' implies intent. 'Crash' or 'Fall' would be more appropriate.

Fourth, 'Hazardous Materials' is such a blanket statement that it could be anything from rocket fuel (which is very hazardous) to alkaline batteries (which are hazardous as well) to crashing pieces of molten metals (which as I understand are fairly dangerous). Blanket statements don't belong in headlines.

Fifth, 'WTF' illicits an emotional reaction if there wasn't one already. Clearly not a 'fact'.

So while the title is in broadest terms accurate and fact filled, it is designed to slant your views in a certain direction...which makes it propoganda.

DREWY
31-01-08, 04:23
Doesn't leave much to work with then Draco. So then maybe we should change the heading to:

'Large human constructed object descending somewhere'

bett
31-01-08, 06:01
Alright guys, seriously......
I'm currently taking an astronomy course by a guy who designs and builds rockets for NASA. This was one of the many topics in class today and here's what I remember from discussion:
*The "hazardous material" are the nuclear batteries. These batteries are encapsulated so that essentially nothing leaks from them.
*A man by the name of Alton Stern convinced Congress to re-allow the use of these batteries years ago by swallowing them.
*The chances of being hit or it hitting anywhere near you is astronomically low, but if it does go down anywhere remotely near you, you're in for "one hell of a light show."

Evan C.
31-01-08, 06:06
Wow,horrible news :S

Draco
31-01-08, 06:34
Doesn't leave much to work with then Draco. So then maybe we should change the heading to:

'Large human constructed object descending somewhere'

Or you could be less instigating and simply suggest:

Large Satellite Will Crash From Orbit

Gregori
31-01-08, 07:20
First the title of the thread established ownership and responsibility of the soon to follow apocalypse, which is rule one in political propoganda pieces.

Second, the word 'spy' denotes an underworld implication that has a tendency to incite negative feelings or thoughts.

Third, the word 'slam' implies intent. 'Crash' or 'Fall' would be more appropriate.

Fourth, 'Hazardous Materials' is such a blanket statement that it could be anything from rocket fuel (which is very hazardous) to alkaline batteries (which are hazardous as well) to crashing pieces of molten metals (which as I understand are fairly dangerous). Blanket statements don't belong in headlines.

Fifth, 'WTF' illicits an emotional reaction if there wasn't one already. Clearly not a 'fact'.

So while the title is in broadest terms accurate and fact filled, it is designed to slant your views in a certain direction...which makes it propoganda.

They stated the unambigous facts in the headline without any hint of deception. You haven't even seen propaganda yet if you're paranoid enough to call this it.

Large Satellite Will Crash From Orbit

This would be more akin to propaganda because deliberatley omitting loads of factual information from the title for absolutely no good reason.

Draco
31-01-08, 15:05
The loads of factual information belong in the story.

It has nothing to do with paranoia, it's clearly evidenced in this thread. How many people actually read something other than the title? Headlines/Titles are supposed to make you want to read the content.

Capt. Murphy
31-01-08, 15:10
Just the way Justin likes it.

^Yes. This is a swipe. He once said something about America attacking small/helpless countries and that was the way America liked it and I guess I took that a bit personal.:o

tlr online
31-01-08, 23:21

No such spin was implied, expressly or otherwise. To suggest otherwise may also be construed as propaganda, and it's most certainly irresponsible. The title served only to deliver the facts of the story, which it did concisely.

Quip remarks aside, the reason so many U.S.-related threads derail here is indicative of the general frustrations many feel with the Bush administration. They are not an attack on the integrity of the general American populous, many of whom share those frustrations.

On a personal note, this thread probably cost me an 8-year-long friendship this evening with a best mate who also happens to be an American. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Zac Medley
31-01-08, 23:29
Quip remarks aside, the reason so many U.S.-related threads derail here is indicative of the general frustrations many feel with the Bush administration. They are not an attack on the integrity of the general American populous, many of whom share those frustrations.

I think it goes much deeper than the Bush administration. I was in the 6th form in 1985-1987, in West Somerset at about the time that the Challenger blew up. I was amazed then how the media coverage of that event seemed to evoke a hateful anti-American spirit.

I concluded that anti-Americanism was on the school curriculum, since several members of staff were the ring leaders.

Imagine my surprise when I came to the USA in 1988 and discovered that Americans are just normal people.

Draco
01-02-08, 05:51
No such spin was implied, expressly or otherwise. To suggest otherwise may also be construed as propaganda, and it's most certainly irresponsible. The title served only to deliver the facts of the story, which it did concisely.

On a personal note, this thread probably cost me an 8-year-long friendship this evening with a best mate who also happens to be an American. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

The article said 'could contain' not that it did contain. And what exactly a hazardous material is...is relative considering it is about to be a giant flaming shotgun blast.

As for its being a spy sat...who says?

Admit the title was overemphasized on inconclusive 'facts' and I'll admit I overreacted to it.