PDA

View Full Version : Guillermo Del Toro to direct Hobbit films

Rivendell
30-01-08, 08:36
The following YouTube video confirms that Guillermo Del Toro will be directing ‘The Hobbit’ films. UPDATE We have an additional inside source which says that the deal is NOT signed yet, however it has a 99% probability of happening. The parties are agreed and we should expect an official announcement after the WGA (Writer’s Guild of America) Strike.

See below for the video - The important part starts around :40

Female Translator: Today it is our pleasure to announce something that everyone was hoping for, Guillermo will direct ‘The Hobbit’

(Clapping)

Female Translator: And he will give a small role to (the Spanish translator)

(Spanish video)
ZIvVc0BBEFQ

Link. (http://www.theonering.net/)

Interesting. Will have to wait and see how this pans out before commenting.
I love Pan's Labyrinth, but I really wonder how he'll deal with The Hobbit?

myrmaad
30-01-08, 08:44
I suppose most hoped for Peter Jackson.

a bit :off: but:

Over the weekend I watched Dune. Wow. One of those movies where I couldn't help but think to myself, "this would have been much better in Peter Jackson's hands".

Gregori
30-01-08, 08:49
I'm glad del Toro is doing it.

Peter Jackson is good, but he falls in love with his own movies too much without respect for the audience. King Kong and the last two LotRs where in need of some good cutting and editing, they where too long and contained lots of extraneous stuff.

myrmaad
30-01-08, 08:52
I don't know what I would cut from King Kong. I love that movie to the extreme.

Gregori
30-01-08, 09:01
I don't know what I would cut from King Kong. I love that movie to the extreme.

It was very awesome but still a little on long side. I would have made it around 15 mins shorter. I don't think the love plot between Adrian Brody and that other actress really worked so well.

Return of the King was alot worse though. They could have cut the last half hour from that film. How long do we really have to watch hobbits stare at each other gayely after the ring has been destroyed? Thats okay in the books, but not for a format of a movie.

I think Del Toro will very efficient with this. Pan's Labrynth was very tight.

myrmaad
30-01-08, 09:06
Naomi Watts. I fell in love with her in that role.

How long do we really have to watch hobbits stare at each other gayely after the ring has been destroyed?

*droll grin, and a chuckle*

Gregori
30-01-08, 09:11
Off Topic, but I really think they should remake Dune but with modern tech and HR Giger's designs for the film.

I'm curious why they want to make TWO Hobbit films? (Other than the obvious reason of making more money)

Nausinous
30-01-08, 11:20
:eek: I never thought that they'd make the Hobbit films, based on the Hobbit book I presume? Because I've read that and thought it was one of Tolkiens best books. This is excellent news! :jmp:

Ada the Mental
30-01-08, 11:25
Well I was still hoping for Jackson, but I'm more than OK with Del Toro. I think he'll do great.:)

On the other hand, I'm still disappointed he won't direct HP and the Deathly Hallows. :(

About that two Hobbit films...Are they going to split it in two parts or is it going to be a separate story?

Apofiss
30-01-08, 11:44
Guillermo Del Toro, he's seriously good when it's about something like Pan's Labyrinth, I'd say it's the the greatest movie created in a long time - it even doesn't have this cheap-american-pop-drama taste which also is a huge plus for a non-US movie. Go Hobbits!

interstellardave
30-01-08, 11:52
It wasn't that long ago that it was announced Peter Jackson was doing The Hobbit... what the hell? :confused:

Gregori
30-01-08, 12:04
he's directing something else atm

Rivendell
30-01-08, 12:16
It wasn't that long ago that it was announced Peter Jackson was doing The Hobbit... what the hell? :confused:

He's still producing the Hobbit films afaik.

Ada: I think one is going to be the main Hobbit story, then the second *might* be bridging the gap between TH and LOTR, but it also might just show the alternate stuff that happens during the timeframe of TH. Like The White Council and them driving the Shadow out of Dol Guldor, maybe even Sauron taking up residence in Mordor. :cln:

Apofiss - you just took a small weight off my mind with this sentence:
it even doesn't have this cheap-american-pop-drama taste which also is a huge plus for a non-US movie.

'Tis very true :tmb:

Gregori
30-01-08, 12:18
Weta will still do the affects, so expect Gollum to return as he was :D

Earthcane
30-01-08, 13:41
Just read the news.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2248286,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

:eek:

I still can't believe it. As much as I wanted either PJ or Fran to direct,
I wonder will Guillermo's style suit the project??

I mean, the FX in Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy are stunning, Guillermo is a very
visionary director and is quite capable of tackling large themes.

Even though Weta are returning, do you think Del Toro will direct them in a different artistic style?

I also hope Philippa Boyens is returning to co-write the screenplay :confused:

Rivendell
30-01-08, 14:23
I think that both Fran and Peter will have a big effect on the art direction, and the overall project. I reckon it will still have the same type of feel as TLotR films thanks to that :tmb:

Earthcane
30-01-08, 15:03
I hope they keep with the tone of LOTR, and not what Tolkien had originally
intended for the Hobbit- a so-called 'Kids' story.

Having said that, I hope they decide to keep in things like the Stone Giants
and Barrels Out Of Bond.

Greenkey2
30-01-08, 15:06
http://foolstown.com/sm/popc1.gif I'm just going to watch and wait. I'd much rather have Del Toro on the scene for something as revered as the Hobbit than some *insert anonymous Hollywood address* typical director :tmb:

danitiwa
30-01-08, 15:09
I hope it doesn't turn out as gruesomely violent as Pan's labyrinth.

myrmaad
30-01-08, 15:16
like Spielberg, eh?

I think directors should play to their strengths, regardless where they live. I can think of plenty of directors who base their work in hollywood but are from extremely diverse backgrounds and foreign countries. The US is a big place and we do have diversity in spades, but I get that there are fashion trends in the industry, just like there are in other segments of industry (like gaming).

Earthcane
30-01-08, 20:06
I hope it doesn't turn out as gruesomely violent as Pan's labyrinth.
I doubt we'll see any fairies getting their heads ripped off in The Hobbit, danitiwa :mis:

But i see what you mean. :D

Has anyone seen the new pics of The Angel of Death in Hellboy II? :eek:

If anything as ambitious as that goes into the Hobbit I'll be impressed :tmb:

FomarThain
30-01-08, 21:47
I think this is great news. I think Del Toro is a fantastic director. Pan's Labyrinth is an incredible filem. I think he will add a nice darker view of The Hobbit rather than making it a kiddie film.

Good news.:tmb:

Evan C.
30-01-08, 22:54
He`s great,im glad of this.

Encore
31-01-08, 02:47
Peter Jackson is good, but he falls in love with his own movies too much without respect for the audience. King Kong and the last two LotRs where in need of some good cutting and editing, they where too long and contained lots of extraneous stuff.

Well. I don't have a problem with the LotR movies being long; I do have a problem with the fact that they are long because they extend unnecessary things, instead of trying to include things that actually were in the book. This made the theatrical cuts really REALLY bad. For example, if a person watches only the theatrical cuts of The Two Towers and Return of the King, he ends up knowing almost nothing about Faramir and his relationship with his brother or Denethor, which is pivotal to the story; but they DO get a load of Aragorn-Arwen romantic hollywoodesque crap.

I think overall LotR is a great trilogy and a great cinematic moment, mostly for its art, its visual impact and the amount of detail put into it, but I don't think Peter Jackson is especially good as a director.