PDA

View Full Version : Video games cause violence to infants!

PARANOIA
30-01-08, 12:42
Jury: Dad Killed Baby Over Broken Xbox

By MARYCLAIRE DALE
Associated Press Writer
PHILADELPHIA — A man who spent long hours each day playing video games was convicted Tuesday of killing his 17-month-old daughter when she pulled down his Xbox console.
Prosecutors believe Tyrone Spellman pummeled Alayiah Turman, cracking her skull several times, while her pregnant mother napped in another room in September 2006.
Jurors rejected arguments that Spellman confessed to protect the mother and convicted him of third-degree murder and child endangerment. He was acquitted of first-degree murder. He could be sentenced to about 23 to 47 years in prison.
Spellman fled the house after the beating, and the mother, Mia Turman, had no reason to go in the bedroom where the baby was found, prosecutors said.
"He (Spellman) spent six to seven hours a day in there playing Xbox," Assistant District Attorney James Berardinelli said.
Spellman, 27, of Philadelphia, confessed to police the next day, but defense lawyer Bobby Hoof noted that his statement came after 24 hours in custody.
"He's not happy with the verdict. He does not agree with the verdict, but he respects the jury verdict," Hoof said of Spellman.
An autopsy showed that Alayiah had suffered a broken arm about two weeks before she died — an injury that city social workers did not see on two visits to the house in late August, when they found the baby well.
The city took custody of the couple's second daughter, born after Alayiah's death.

-

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/National/Video_Game_Beating_Death.html

The time has come. We must legislate video game use! This is getting out of hand. Think of the children!

kooky
30-01-08, 12:44
OMG, How Sick & Stupid, just over an Xbox C'mon!! :mad: I feel so bad for the 17 mouth-old daughter! :(

Voni
30-01-08, 12:51
My God, that poor child.

This isn't an issue over gaming, it's an issue with that man's clearly unstable frame of mind. The girl coud have done anything and he'd have 'flipped', maybe unplugging the TV or breaking a glass or something. I'm worried that those social workers didn't check up or even spot that broken arm. How likely is it that a 17 month old girl would break a limb? That's shocking on their part.

Earthcane
30-01-08, 12:54
I really dont know what to say, that is beyond awful :eek:

Legend of Lara
30-01-08, 12:56
It's not video games that did this, just an unstable man.

I think this is just awful by the way! :(

Rexie
30-01-08, 12:59
the world is getting weirder by seconds...

Lara's home
30-01-08, 13:00
Oh god... :(

raiderfun
30-01-08, 13:01
Amazing news ! This is even not a child or a teen, it's a an adult ! :eek:

disneyprincess20
30-01-08, 13:03
Of course this is the fault of the unstable man, but how many parties will take this case as an example of violent video games encouraging violent behaviour? (It doesn't say what games he was playing. He couldn't been playing Viva Pinata for all we know).

I feel for the poor bereaved mother, and the children.

da tomb raider!
30-01-08, 13:04
That's insane.

Capt. Murphy
30-01-08, 13:32
Sick ******* :cen:

Ikas90
30-01-08, 13:44
I've heard similar stories. One where a babysitter stabbed a baby 70 times or something with a kitchen knife because of the movie Star Gate.

Also, one where a kid killed his older brother with a knife because he wouldn't pass over the controller after it was his turn.

Both these stories have been posted on this forum.

Can't say I'm surprised. There are some ****ed up people out there.

Drone
30-01-08, 13:50
what an idiot

Greenkey2
30-01-08, 13:54
Capt. Murphy please type normally when you swear, or our poor censor software will be chased by the Jobseeker's agency again ;)

On topic: A tragic story, but surely if the man was going to crack so violently he would have cracked for any trivial thing - the Xbox was just the nearest fulcrum.

Poor child :(

danitiwa
30-01-08, 14:22
This happens all the time, and it's not because the people play violent games, it's because they're simply sick.

Maybe he was taking his anger out through a video game, then the baby came and broke it and he killed her as well in his fury? I mean, I just can't beleive video games actually deform a person's brain.

I still feel horribly sorry for the kid.

Sir Croft
30-01-08, 15:09
That's sick! That man propably has some kind of mental illness, killing his own daughter just because of a Xbox, that's insane. :(
But in no way I think it was video game's fault.

James_Rutland
30-01-08, 15:13
My god, what's happening to this world? :confused:

Obscure
30-01-08, 15:17
I think this is more to do with the fact that the man had angerment issues than the console itself.
I don't believe in this type of media anymore (Not your story but the whole truth behind the question) as they always point out small facts but never go into details. For all we know that man was mentally ill and so the gaming world shouldn't really be accused of the little girls death.

I feel sorry for the little girl. She didn't deserve it.

Sir Croft
30-01-08, 15:20
^I agree. When something bad happens, blame it on the video games! It's always their fault. :rolleyes:

glitterpaws
30-01-08, 15:47
Poor baby :(, This is just sick.

SamReeves
30-01-08, 16:15
Bad news indeed. :(

However just like a gun debate, was it the video game that really made him it do it?

Reggie
30-01-08, 16:26
This isn't the first time I've been lost for words today.

AmericanAssassin
30-01-08, 16:29
What that man deserves is to have his head bashed several times with an Xbox... That would be true justice! :mad:

Orionvalentine
30-01-08, 16:29
This is truly a horrible piece of news to read. The man should be locked away to rot, in a small room with just his conscience to keep him company.

Computer games are not to blame here, just him, the man's doctor and the people around him for not seeking out the correct medical help. As I have said before, the world is a sick place.

Beanz
30-01-08, 17:54
OMG, How Sick & Stupid, just over an Xbox C'mon!! :mad: I feel so bad for the 17 mouth-old daughter! :(

I know :(.

interstellardave
30-01-08, 18:16
Like all rational people know, the xbox was just the trigger... if she'd scratched his car he might have done the same thing. They said her arm was broken a week before... maybe she knocked over his beer then. Could have been anything; people like him need to get help before it goes this far. You can't tell me that family and friends didn't know he had an anger problem. I bet they feel like crap for not doing something about it long ago.

tomblover
30-01-08, 18:23
Sad, really sad. :(

Don't ban video games! Kill the ****ing idiots who seemingly don't have a squirt of sense in their ****ed up heads.

Minty Mouth
30-01-08, 18:24
Yet another reason not to buy an X-Box............

But seriously that is terrible. Was the new baby taken away from the mother?

-DaNnEe..
30-01-08, 18:51
OMG, that is such a shame for the baby :(. All that over an Xbox :eek: !

xMiSsCrOfTx
30-01-08, 19:47
That's sick. But that's the extreme end of what videogame obsession can do to you.

TombFreak
30-01-08, 20:17
Three things might be here:

1. He could uv had a mental illness

2. He hates kids

3. He is a sore loser

lara is mine
30-01-08, 20:19
that is sickening, how could a father kill his own baby? over a game?:mad:

MrBear
30-01-08, 20:23
That's just... awful... :( poor man, he must be dying of guilt... I hope he gets help, 'cause it seems he would need it badly..

Cristina
30-01-08, 20:52
Oh my good...:(

Camera Obscura
30-01-08, 21:23
It think this story has already been posted on the forums but yeah, a person like that guy doesn't deserve to have children. (or an xbox)

Lenochka
30-01-08, 21:27
Amazing news !

Meh, Old news
I remember a thread on it a while ago.
Now, I'm not going to wish violence on the man or call him insane and **** because i don't know the guy and most likely never will. If what this report says turns out to be true then i reckon like 10-20 years in prison is fair enough. I'm sure the guy really didn't mean to kill the child, Some people discipline children and forget how powerful they are compared to the fragile body of someone so young.

Voni
30-01-08, 21:29
I'm still trying to figure out what social services were playing at. Unless the story here is incorrect, they either failed to notice or failed to investigate the child's broken arm. I have never worked as a social worker, and I imagine that it's a stressful and emotional job at times, but come on! That's just inept, and I can't help thinking that even if this guy knew these people were watching him, the little girl would still be alive.

Thorir
30-01-08, 21:30
Games donīt cause violence.

People do. :(

SAD for the family/people... But you cannot blame anyone. :(

The guy is obviously insane. Itīs not caused by people!

Evan C.
30-01-08, 21:30
Very sad.

Thorir
30-01-08, 21:34
Itīs crazy people. Not the people who play them. :)

*Sleepy kitten purrs relaxed...*

thecentaur
30-01-08, 21:41
BOOO!!!! HISSSS!!! this stuff sickens me. what a stupid father.

coolezpunk
30-01-08, 22:16
OMG! That :cen: dad has anger management problems! Or he's just insane! :mad: Killing a child over an Xbox?! How sad! Poor child... :(

Shark_Blade
30-01-08, 23:14
And people tought video games makes children violent :rolleyes: Grown ups are no better. Only fragile/weak minded people should be prohibited from playing games.

Librarian
30-01-08, 23:18
That is absolutely horrendous. That poor child!

The father should receive psychological treatment while in prison, of course. No sane person could beat their own child to death, especially over a broken toy.

Bumio
30-01-08, 23:21
this is so sick. the father should be send to guillotine :mad:

Shark_Blade
31-01-08, 00:05
Meh, Old news
I remember a thread on it a while ago.
Now, I'm not going to wish violence on the man or call him insane and **** because i don't know the guy and most likely never will. If what this report says turns out to be true then i reckon like 10-20 years in prison is fair enough. I'm sure the guy really didn't mean to kill the child, Some people discipline children and forget how powerful they are compared to the fragile body of someone so young.People who harm children with physical punishment and don't know the limit of it are retard. Their anger make them loose control and the stability of their mind. He might have been the one who broke the baby's arm earlier according to the report. You're being kind to a killer for no apparent reason.:ohn:

Lenochka
31-01-08, 00:26
People who harm children with physical punishment and don't know the limit of it are retard. Their anger make them loose control and the stability of their mind. He might have been the one who broke the baby's arm earlier according to the report. You're being kind to a killer for no apparent reason.:ohn:

Nah, I'm just trying to see his side and also see the side of everyone who wants him dead or whatever. I don't think this man meant to do what he did. He most likely was just caught in rage. I don't support or give him praise for his actions, I'm just a big more forgiving since like i said before i think he was blinded with anger. Of course i don't think he should get off without any charges or anything, I think he deserves to be locked up for a while and get some help with his anger.

TR 4 LIFE
31-01-08, 00:37
Oh Heck No!!!! I Really Don't Care About His Xbox!!!!!!!!!!! Poor Baby!!! Anyone Who Committs Child Abuse Is Frickin Sore Loser!! Unless That Dude Had An Illness, He Shouldn't Be In Jail.....he Should Be Executed!!!! Or Even Tortured!!

Benguitar
31-01-08, 02:37
I heard about this a while ago, What a butt head. *shakes head in shame*

Librarian
31-01-08, 02:58
Nah, I'm just trying to see his side and also see the side of everyone who wants him dead or whatever. I don't think this man meant to do what he did. He most likely was just caught in rage. I don't support or give him praise for his actions, I'm just a big more forgiving since like i said before i think he was blinded with anger. Of course i don't think he should get off without any charges or anything, I think he deserves to be locked up for a while and get some help with his anger.

Forgive me, but I don't really see what his emotions have to do with it. The childs arm had been broken just two weeks before, and it's not exactly a massive leap to the assumption that he was probably responsible, which means this rage blackout (or whatever you'd like to call it) wasn't his first one. If he had an anger problem, he should have sought help before becoming a father. Now it's too late, and a baby girl is dead.

star-dust
31-01-08, 03:36
That's beyond disgusting.
What the hell is the world
coming to? Stupid dad.
I hope he has the worst luck
for the rest of his life.

TRexbait
31-01-08, 04:07
That man is insane, he deserves to go to jail, what is the baby going to know that the stupid XBox was expensive. Killing b/c a video game console was destroyed is stupid.

Lenochka
31-01-08, 11:14
Forgive me, but I don't really see what his emotions have to do with it. The childs arm had been broken just two weeks before, and it's not exactly a massive leap to the assumption that he was probably responsible, which means this rage blackout (or whatever you'd like to call it) wasn't his first one. If he had an anger problem, he should have sought help before becoming a father. Now it's too late, and a baby girl is dead.

Oooh! So the child's arm was broken 2 weeks before?
I thought they found it broken after the xbox incident.
That changes everything then. He really should have seeked out help before the second event.

Dote
31-01-08, 14:49
will this mean that the "Dont hate the player hate the game" gets anew meaning?!

PARANOIA
31-01-08, 14:53
will this mean that the "Dont hate the player hate the game" gets anew meaning?!

I would hope so. The game companies have no right to make violent games that endanger the life of innocent children.

Capt. Murphy
31-01-08, 14:56
I would hope so. The game companies have no right to make violent games that endanger the life of innocent children.
Or to inspire those with the mind of a child.