PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone recommend this computer?...

ballarific8705
31-07-03, 22:48
Alright... my computer is about 4 years old and has been very nasty to me over the last couple of years... we just cant get along... even through about 5 crashes and having to reinstall everything from a clean slate...

So, I've decided to take the brave step and get a fresh breath of air by looking around for a good 'ol up to date machine. My primary focus is a system that will be able to play my video games at ease, especially a few online games I'm anticipating... including Final Fantasy 11 online...

So, while searching around, one computer caught my eye. Its the Gateway 700s... the reviews promise that it should be friendly to gamers who need to run the most up to date games, etc. So, if anyone wouldn't mind, would they take a look at the link below that explains what it has to offer... since I'm not that technically inclined when it comes to specifics of the cards, etc. All I really want is a reliable computer that will run smoothly and be able to keep up with me.

Anyway.. enough babbling... heres the link... tell me what you all think (people who know what they are talking about, of course) and if anyone could reccomend another nice computer at a not so bad price, I would be greatful as well.

Gateway 700s computer (http://msn.com.com/4505-3119_16-30460793.html?subj=reviews_30460793&part=msn&tag=feed)

Thanks you guys.

~.::§mylez::.

Geck-o-Lizard
31-07-03, 23:31
When buying a new computer with power like that in mind you have to be willing to part with a LOT of dosh. I would personally advise having a look at your present computer and upgrading it, for example a new processor and video card to start off with, as it will be so much cheaper. If not, try a second-hand PC. You can often find very powerful computers second hand for much less money than a new one. I strongly believe in upgrading and second hand buying in favour of brand new machines, but if the computer's simply too old and slow for what you want it to do and you can't get a second hand computer, that one'll do. Another cheap(ish) way to get a better computer would be to buy a decent second hand computer and some upgraded parts. The computer you've seen looks like it would be suitable if you did a lot of games and used a lot of programs (like 3D modelling programs) that used all of that processing power. I don't know exactly how much power you have in mind, but I'd reccommend checking around a bit more to see if you can't find anything even better. I did that and I wasn't disappointed. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

gonga
31-07-03, 23:53
A very nice machine. You'll have all the power and features you need. Consider going with Dell though for much better reliability and support.

Costless advice: I would exchange the flat panel for a cheaper but better 21" CRT monitor for games and video at higher resolutions if you have the room. And if you don't need Office, drop it and switch to WindowsXP Pro from the featureless Home version.

Geck-o-Lizard
01-08-03, 00:25
Yuck, Windows XP... http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/yuck.gif I hate the thing.

ballarific8705
01-08-03, 00:33
Geck-o-Lizard, my computer that I currently have is a second hand... one that was custom built by a man that my dad had connections with. Perhaps upgrading as you said wouldnt be such a bad idea, since I already have a cd burner (which I use ALOT) with it.

But then again, I'm totally clueless as to what I should purchase to upgrade my computer. I do know that I will probably need to buy alot more storage space, a new sound card and video card. The only problems is I have no idea what I should get or what I actually need.

I have successfully played all of my video games that I have so far, including all tomb riaders excluding AOD, on my system. But I am clueless as to if I have the right stuff to play the newest video games.

Could someone do me a little favor, and explain to me how you figure out what cards you have on your system? Don't worry, I know how to navigate a computer easily... it's just I need directions... so it shouldn't me too hard for me to understand. After I find out which cards I have, perhaps someone can tell me if they are up-to-date enough to use for the newer games. If not, someone could maybe suggest a card I should look for (in both video and sound).

Of course, gameplay isn't all I'm worried about... my computer tends to lag a bit and I would like it to be faster. I'm assuming that I would need to install extra space... correct?

Geck-o-Lizard
01-08-03, 00:37
You can find out what you've got by right-clicking on My Computer, going to Properties, then going to Device Manager. Then you just select whatever it is you want to know about and double click in it, which will bring up its property box. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Draco
01-08-03, 01:13
I always build my computers...less expensive...

Geck-o-Lizard
01-08-03, 01:18
I'm in the process of price-finding and researching parts for a computer which I intend to have built before the end of the year, but it's taking ages because I can only afford to buy it like a bit every few months or something because of other financial priorities. :(

gonga
01-08-03, 01:27
If your 'puter's 4, you need a new motherboard (with AGP 8x video slot, DDR Dram slots, P4 voltage connects, USB2.0, Serial ATA hard drive controller, etc.) - none of which is in your machine. Also: new processor, video card, sound card, and probably more to get decent performance. Time for a new machine.

ballarific8705
01-08-03, 01:56
Okay... I did as you said. Im now at the systems properties, and I was given 15 branches. I searched all of them thoroughly, but I didn't see anything that pertained to a sound or video card... I imagined it would be under system devices, so I checked and double checked and even triple checked there, as I did in most other of the branches.

Maybe it would help if anyone could tell me the name of the branch im looking for here...

Edit: I did come across a branch called Display Adapters, and when i expand it, it says NVIDIA RIVA TNT - Im not sure if this is related to the video card, but its worth checking with you guys.

ballarific8705
01-08-03, 01:59
If your 'puter's 4, you need a new motherboard (with AGP 8x video slot, DDR Dram slots, P4 voltage connects, USB2.0, Serial ATA hard drive controller, etc.) - none of which is in your machine. Also: new processor, video card, sound card, and probably more to get decent performance. Time for a new machine.Whoa... perhaps you're right my friend... I now realize that opting for a new machine and paying the extra expense may be far more worth it as opposed to my head exploding...

Geck-o-Lizard
01-08-03, 02:11
Originally posted by .::§mylez::.:
Okay... I did as you said. Im now at the systems properties, and I was given 15 branches. I searched all of them thoroughly, but I didn't see anything that pertained to a sound or video card... I imagined it would be under system devices, so I checked and double checked and even triple checked there, as I did in most other of the branches.

Maybe it would help if anyone could tell me the name of the branch im looking for here...

Edit: I did come across a branch called Display Adapters, and when i expand it, it says NVIDIA RIVA TNT - Im not sure if this is related to the video card, but its worth checking with you guys.That Nvidia Riva TNT is your graphics card. For the sound card, go to Sound, Video and Game Controllers and ignore any devices like Sidewinder Pro or anything because they're game controllers. If you're unsure or you have more than one obvious item, post it and we'll help you. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

ballarific8705
01-08-03, 02:46
okay... It has a list of 3.

The first one is a joypad... and then:
VIA PCI Audio Controller and
Wave Device for Voice Modem

By the sounds of things it looks like im either gonna have to do some major upgrading or just buy another system, since none of these are the features I've seen required for many of the newer games...

****.. lol.