PDA

View Full Version : Has a Band ever changed your life?

Soma Holiday
01-02-08, 15:15
I've been following a group from St. Charles Missouri for nearly the past 10 years of my life, they've have about 55 song releases (none of which really made them a huge hit outside of their small fan base. The band was named Greenwheel up until about a year ago when they opted to change their name to 'Go Van Gogh.'

They were a alternative rock band, but with the switch of names, their side shifted to a slight jazzy feel. They released two new songs last night, and it just occured to me how important this band is to me, they made me love music, and made my life that night I actually got to see them. I want to support them SO much, and I'll end up passing their cds out whenever I can (they encourage that.) I can't imagine them ever breaking up, or me never liking them, just because it's such a perfect feeling, even my username "Soma Holiday" was spawned from the title of one of their first albums. (as well as other ones like greenwheelfan)

The best day of my life was when I actually got to meet them. They sounded phenomenal, even better than on the records, so I never could understand why they never got bigger than they were. Nonetheless they make me incredibly happy and I couldn't imagine life without them. I wouldn't be the person I am today without their influence, I just wish I could tell them that.

If you want to check them out...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/greenwheelfan/24746.jpg

www.myspace.com/govangoghtheband (http://www.myspace.com/govangoghtheband)

and you can download their new songs "Blood Money" and "Get Up" on ichannel.fm for free for the next week. ( The former is incredible )

I just wanted to give my support and tell someone about them, has anyone else sworn complete devotion to a band??:)

danitiwa
01-02-08, 16:04
Never sworn, but Green Day has definately changed my life, spirit, attitude, style, etc. Within Temptation: I love them, but they didn't change me as much.

Legends
01-02-08, 16:08
Not a band, but... some other person.

NemesisxAngelus
01-02-08, 16:13
Not a band, but... some other person.

Ahh same here. :) Though a band did save my life. :o

Soma Holiday
01-02-08, 16:17
Ahh same here. :) Though a band did save my life. :o

I guess I should have asked...Has Music Ever Changed Your Life?

lol.

NemesisxAngelus
01-02-08, 16:18
I guess I should have asked...Has Music Ever Changed Your Life?

lol.

Well in both cases I can say yes.

Encore
01-02-08, 16:34
Well in both cases I can say yes.

same here. music's the best thing in my life.

in these arms
01-02-08, 16:39
Nightwish has definetly changed my attitude and to grow long hair. They're incredible. :D

nick-xx
01-02-08, 16:55
a music can't change my life so easily...

Archetype
01-02-08, 16:58
music keeps me sane.. a world without music is a crap world.

Slayer, is the best band in the world though.. nothing compares.

ShadyCroft
01-02-08, 17:03
I'm super crazy about Kamelot. They certainly changed afew things in me, my attitude, and other few things. No matter how many bands I listen to, I always go back to Kamelot. I love them to death! lol! They made me appreciate people, even those who are different, made me always be happy in the face of hard times (I swear, and I dunno why...am all of a sudden a more confident, hard to frustrate person. I always know things get better however worse it becomes, I always find a way out of sad moments, and I always thank God for that). Music is a big part of me, love it!

touchthesky
01-02-08, 17:04
Well let's see.

Thanks to the Distillers I've met the love of my life, am studying at college, am doing something for myself, have stopped drinking and smoking, and Im happy.

Thanks to Angels and Airwaves I now have something to listen to if I just need to escape.

So yeah, i guess it has.

Nannonxyay
01-02-08, 17:11
My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy and Foo Fighters. :wve: They're all amazing artists, with such creative and amazing lyrics.

Bumio
01-02-08, 17:18
Def Leppard changed my life 100% :wve:

Anajrob
01-02-08, 17:21
Rammstein. I can't say they changed my life, but changed my views on certain things. :p

Melonie Tomb Raider
01-02-08, 17:42
I've checked them out before, because of you. Great band! They're very talented, I can understand why you're so into them. :)

My favorite band is 30 Seconds to Mars. Their music inspires me and makes me so emotional. Definitely an asset to the world of rock. :tmb:

Elysia
01-02-08, 17:43
AC/DC's 'Fly on the Wall' album, followed by Metallica's 'Ride the Lightning'.

I was about 11 or 12 and into pop music. Then me and my mate raided her older brother's record collection, and I never looked back. Gone were 5 Star and *insert generic pop icon of the time here* - listening to these two albums changed my life forever. If it wasn't for these two albums, I never would have immersed myself in the alternative rock music scene to quite the degree I did, and so by proxy, I would never have met my own little rock god (hubby, of course!), and we wouldn't be living our nice little alternative music styled lifestyle now! :D

Vertigo
01-02-08, 17:59
The Velvet Underground IS my life. I can`t live without music

Alive_and_Funky
01-02-08, 18:08
Nirvana! Their song Heart-Shaped Box, to be specific. I used to listen to some rock music before I heard Heart-Shaped Box (mainly My Chemical Romance and Green Day, although I never bought any of their CDs myself, I'd just borrow some of my sister's :D) and years before that I liked pop music (Bring Me To Life by Evanescence changed all that :D), but I never grew attached to a band as strongly as I did Nirvana. I even bought their greatest hits CD! That was a big deal at the time, I'd never bought a CD before.
Thanks to Nirvana I decided to look into other artists such as Foo Fighters, Rage Against The Machine, Guns N' Roses and David Bowie (I decided to listen to Bowie sometime after hearing Nirvana's cover of The Man Who Sold The World), among many others. I'm also not as anti towards everything which isn't rock anymore (I like quite a few of Amy Winehouse's songs, for instance :D).
Also, I'd like to learn guitar thanks to all the rock music I listen to. And being in a band sounds appealing. :whi:

Beanz
01-02-08, 18:42
My Chemical Romance... Their lyrics and attitude, makes you realise that there is a point to life. :).

Mona Sax
01-02-08, 19:05
AC/DC's 'Fly on the Wall' album, followed by Metallica's 'Ride the Lightning'.

I was about 11 or 12 and into pop music. Then me and my mate raided her older brother's record collection, and I never looked back. Gone were 5 Star and *insert generic pop icon of the time here* - listening to these two albums changed my life forever. If it wasn't for these two albums, I never would have immersed myself in the alternative rock music scene to quite the degree I did, and so by proxy, I would never have met my own little rock god (hubby, of course!), and we wouldn't be living our nice little alternative music styled lifestyle now! :D
Same here, only it was Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction (and of course I'm not married ;)). I've listened to a whole lot of other stuff since then, I've discovered punk and metal, but the hard rock of my childhood is something I can always go back to. I don't think my taste in music is ever going to change, I've remained indifferent or even oblivious to all fads. Britney Spears? 50 Cent? Who? Give me Paradise City or Back in Black and I'm happy. I can't imagine ever seeing the inside of an opera house, either. I'd be bored to death, if I could even make it past the first 5 minutes. My parents listening to classical music every Sunday is torture enough, thank you very much. :D

vespertea
01-02-08, 19:06
Björk. A bit for the better, but mostly for the worse.

Kamnelomo
01-02-08, 19:32
Definitely yes. There is a song that made me emo.

Kamrusepas
01-02-08, 19:44
Not a band but an artist. Glance to the left.

ShadyCroft
01-02-08, 19:52
I was about 11 or 12 and into pop music....

I was into pop music afew years ago. When I look back, all I remember is I love you alot, you're my everything, let me take you, let me "do you right", you're my girl,lets run away,my dress is too long, my umbrella is pink.....it was mostly girls, love, sex and stuff like that. When I got into Hard Rock and Metal (not death metal, growling freaks me lol! Symphonic/Gothic and alternative metal is my thing), suddenly, everything has a wonderful meaning and is so much more than the things I kept hearing in pop lyrics.

Thorir
01-02-08, 19:54
Björk.

Drone
01-02-08, 19:57
Yup. My fav band is Manic Street Preachers. I was on their forum (not anymore) and found most important person in my life. My life depends on that person now and always will :)

ShadyCroft
01-02-08, 20:03
Forget my last post. It may be offending to alot of people and this thread is about all bands.

Geck-o-Lizard
01-02-08, 20:10
Cripes, no. My favourite musician changes every few weeks, and I enjoy music for the sound, not the culture.

Tina Croft
01-02-08, 20:10
RAMMSTEIN, too. they're the very first band of Heavy Metal i ever listened to about 1 year ago. because of them i decided to make Metal to my favourite music genre.

i listen to several metalbands, but RAMMSTEIN is still the best IMO. i believe, it will also be the best forever. DISTURBED as well :p

NemesisxAngelus
01-02-08, 20:31
Rammstein. I can't say they changed my life, but changed my views on certain things. :p

RAMMSTEIN, too. they're the very first band of Heavy Metal i ever listened to about 1 year ago. because of them i decided to make Metal to my favourite music genre.

i listen to several metalbands, but RAMMSTEIN is still the best IMO. i believe, it will also be the best forever. DISTURBED as well :p

Rammstein. :cln:

Ah I have so many bands that changed my life, but the ones with the deepest meaning has to be Linkin Park (a true nostalgic classic). :)

Elysia
01-02-08, 20:34

Ah I have so many bands that changed my life, but the ones with the deepest meaning has to be Linkin Park (a true nostalgic classic). :)
Hehehe, now I feel old. I still see Linkin Park as those snotty young whippersnappers who just like to dabble... now, Faith No More - that's nostalgia music! :D :p

Sedge
01-02-08, 20:39
I've never really understood how music can "change your life", doesn't seem to have any effect on me I think.. O_o I mean, I do listen to music occasionally (while watching something usually) and it may make me feel something (depends obviously), but it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world if I suddenly became deaf.. Not that it wouldn't matter at all, I do value my senses! It's just... *shrug* I don't know. Music/voices in general kind of distract me, even though I like having the ability to hear.. Gah, hard to explain. :o
I guess I belong to the minority. :pi:

myrmaad
01-02-08, 20:40
My mom had Beatles albums when I was born (she was only 21), and my older sisters were listening to The Doors and The Hollies, Cream etc in 1968 and 69, when I was only 5. My baby sister's favorite band was Steppenwolf when she was 3.

NemesisxAngelus
01-02-08, 20:41
Hehehe, now I feel old. I still see Linkin Park as those snotty young whippersnappers who just like to dabble... now, Faith No More - that's nostalgia music! :D :p

Aw don't feel old. :D I started to listen to them when I was 9, and now I'm 17 and I still enjoy their music so now and then. That's why it has to be my most nostalgic classic, not to mention it introduced me to the louder music. :)

Elysia
01-02-08, 20:49
My mom had Beatles albums when I was born (she was only 21), and my older sisters were listening to The Doors and The Hollies, Cream etc in 1968 and 69, when I was only 5. My baby sister's favorite band was Steppenwolf when she was 3.
:D Awww, that's so cute! My mum and dad were the same - my little sister's favourite song when she was 3 was 'Take it to the limit' by the Eagles, and I absolutely adored Adam and The Ants at the age of 4! According to my father, I also used to stomp around the house singing 'Peaches' by The Stranglers because he used to sing it to me as a little'un... Nothing like a 2 year old trying to sing Stranglers songs, really! I also called my rocking horse 'Golden Brown' after The Stranglers song, too.

Clannad 'Legend' was also a bit of a turning point - I was 7 an in love with all things Robin Hood, and their ethereal, dreamy music just absolutely appealed to me, even then. Still love that album, even now... :)

Evan C.
01-02-08, 20:52
Yes,but in a poetic way.They can give us another perspective of the life,or make your stronger...but,none of those band are in mtv.

Alive_and_Funky
01-02-08, 21:05
Same here, only it was Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction (and of course I'm not married ;)).
Ah, my favourite album. :D
I like a few Faith No More songs. :D
I'll probably get into them eventually, I have a soft spot for the '90s alternative and grunge movement. :D

Anajrob
01-02-08, 21:09

You are fans too!? Awesome! :jmp:

Elysia
01-02-08, 21:12
I like a few Faith No More songs. :D
I'll probably get into them eventually, I have a soft spot for the '90s alternative and grunge movement. :D
I love FnM, but not to the extent my husband does. Seriously, Mike Patton could fart in a bag and hubby would buy it - I think he loves Patton more than me sometimes... :p

Tomb Raider Master
01-02-08, 21:13
Nope, it hasn't.

remote91
01-02-08, 21:56
Evanescence had a huge impact on me, until them I didnt realise music could be so deep.

star-dust
01-02-08, 21:58
Nope, it hasn't.

Ditto. :wve:

oocladableeblah
01-02-08, 22:04
I wouldn't say that a band has ever changed my life, but they have caused me to broaden my mind to more tastes of music. For example The Church and Blondie made me like acustic and female singers more. The guy who sings Under the Sea made me like older songs more.

Twilight
01-02-08, 22:38
Gorillaz. only favorite band. anytime i feel too into stupid things and worshipping simple people, the songs balance me out. it made me realize beauty in simplicity and to have a kid's point of view and freedom in your mind. they can do alot with animation. i love this band. i listen to their songs everyday when i'm on the subway.

http://i25.************/25j8veo.jpg

NemesisxAngelus
01-02-08, 22:45
You are fans too!? Awesome! :jmp:

You got that right! :D

There's also a song by Plumb that made a major change in my life. :) Ahh a life without music, I believe would get insane after a while.

MadCroy101
01-02-08, 22:48
Can I do single artist? She really isn't that big, but her name is Emma Russack. Beautiful girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvIPpOlqpko

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6JC4NCb9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7D9YG0rdPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLsRC3CHsuw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKzBrQ2m4w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcS5XFnHzPQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J48p_aIwK-0

Grenade
01-02-08, 22:49
No... but a singer (Koda Kumi) did for me. :)

http://i19.************/6t10veo.jpg

BtoFu
02-02-08, 00:09
Gorillaz.

Great band.

I've been sonically challenged time and again throughout the years and there have been many many many artists out there that have helped with the growing pains and day-to-day trudging through life. Nick Drake, Sonic Youth, Brian Eno, Public Image Ltd...I've done 'em all and the ones I haven't weren't worth doin'.

TombFreak
02-02-08, 01:29
Paramore has, at least Hayley has. She shows that you don't need breast implants or tonjs and tons of make up to be famous.:)