PDA

View Full Version : How good do you think you are at TR?

Reggie
02-02-08, 19:03
Reading trXD's "Multiplayer - yay or nay?" (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=118356) thread has made me realise that there's something I don't know even about my closest friends/correspondants on here and that is their skill at TR.
So bearing in mind that there's no online possibilities yet I've made this one for us all to discuss how good we think we are and perhaps use some stats to back it up?

So we essentially have a general competition thread going on hopefully. :)

Right, well I would say I'm better than the average gamer at playing TR. I'm particularly good at manoevering around environments without getting killed (traps aren't usually a problem for example) and I can usually solve puzzles quickly. My downfall tends to be the over use of saves and medipacks as I'm a very prudent player always anticipating the next sudden death caused by whatever. More often than not, I don't die but the fear still remains.
So I guess that I'm a skilled but cowardly TR player? sounds about right...

Here are my stats from playing through (and completing) TR3 first time:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/tsimy3/TRIIIFINALSTATS_Layer1.jpg

Anyone care to set a challenge/competition?

PARANOIA
02-02-08, 19:05
I'll finish up TR3 and post my stats.

I'd consider myself semi-pro.

tomblover
02-02-08, 19:18
I can go through the whole of TRL without taking damage, but then again it's not so difficult to do that. :p

Angelus
02-02-08, 19:21
I'd say I'm good at playing TR, but if I don't play the games regularly then I'll forget most of what to do. I've uninstalled the TR games from my PC, so I can't post pictures. My best time for a TR game is Legend, which I completed in 1:45:13.

AmericanAssassin
02-02-08, 19:24
I'm decent at it... I can beat every one of my friends, that is. :p

Skellington
02-02-08, 20:59
I guess I'm a little bit better than an average player.

-I can kill the enemys pretty well. I can do nice jumps and other moves, which make the shooting easier and I won't lose so much health.
-I'm also good at traps. I can get through those easily without dying, even for the first time, when I go through it.
-Speedrunning is easy to me, but I usually don't hurry, unless if I want to beat someone else's time.

hera7days
02-02-08, 21:13
I'm okay, much better than I used to be, but I do have some problems.
-I can't get past certain things. (timed gates in Colosseum, three timed doors in Aldwych, Boaz, to name a few.)
-I rely on walkthroughs a lot because I have a tendency to overlook things, or think I did something already when in fact I did not, although I'm getting better about that.
Also, I wouldn't necessarily consider this good or bad but I am also very cautious. I save all the time and make sure my jumps are lined up perfectly.

Earthcane
02-02-08, 21:17
Nice thread, Reggie :tmb:

So we essentially have a general competition thread going on hopefully.

I second that :mis:

Me? I'm currently playing TR3 again.

How good am I? Abyssmal! :ton:

Eddie Haskell
02-02-08, 21:56
I have played that game probably 35-40 times to completion. I do look at the stats at the conclusion, but don't record or remember them. But I would say that if you define "good" by the stats, than I would say that I was just pretty good. If you define it by how good I am with the controls (controlling Lara), than I would say very good.

EgyptianSoul
02-02-08, 22:00
I'm a mediocre player. I play the game for enjoying the story, the atmosphere, the feeling of Tomb Raider. So I guess I'm a "games are art" person a.k.a. freak. :cool:

touchthesky
02-02-08, 22:02
I don't know. There are certain parts I just cant seem to do without walkthroughs, but certain levels I can whiz through.

I guess I'm good at it, but not amazingly.

Tomb Raider Master
02-02-08, 22:02
I don't want to sound cocky, but I think I'm an awesome player. I've been playing TR games almost every day for seven years by now. I'm probably not the best player in the world, but my tactics, knowledge, and style of playing really live up to my name. :p No, seriously, I've replayed all games lots of times, I've tried all challenges a few times, and I've played tons of custom levels. I'm really a practiced TR player today. :)

Drone
02-02-08, 22:04
At least I played all tr games and got them without walkthroughs :)

Earthcane
02-02-08, 22:04
I don't want to sound cocky, but I think I'm an awesome player.

No, that doesn't sound cocky at all :p

(j/k)

:D

Eddie Haskell
02-02-08, 22:20
At least I played all tr games and got them without walkthroughs :)

Right on Drone! As do I. :tmb:

There are probably secrets I will never know about, although in replay after replay I bet I will eventually find them all.

kill bill
02-02-08, 22:21
I'm quite the expert in TR1-3 Legend-Anniversary the rest are confusing

Drone
02-02-08, 22:24
Right on Drone! As do I. :tmb:

There are probably secrets I will never know about, although in replay after replay I bet I will eventually find them all.

same here :D I would rather never know about all secrets than ask or read about them :jmp: After each replay anyway I found more and more

Survival
03-02-08, 09:00
My stats from finishing the game after many years of not playing just running arount the levels... so I decided to play it from start to finish (See my progress in the thread "Tomb Raider 3 Revisited")

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/Luki_/FinalStats-1.jpg

tomblover
03-02-08, 09:01
I'd honestly have to agree with Kill Bill. :)

EDIT: I was better at TR on consoles before, but when I try the TR's for my old PS1 today, I can barely move and shoot at the same time. I'm much better at it on PC.

Quasimodo
03-02-08, 09:06
I'm a mediocre player. I play the game for enjoying the story, the atmosphere, the feeling of Tomb Raider. So I guess I'm a "games are art" person a.k.a. freak. :cool:

That about sums up my TR skills :tmb:

I'm also quite the Tomb Wuss - the imps in TR5 and the mummies/other creatures in TR4 just freaked me out!

Avalon Phoenix
03-02-08, 09:08
It depends on which game...

I was horrible at Last Revelation....

I'm good at all of them except Legend...I'm pretty kick-a in Legend, though I dont have a way to put statistics up.

Librarian
03-02-08, 10:11
I think I'm a slightly better than average player. I rarely get stuck, and when I do it's because I've been playing for six hours non-stop and it's three o'clock in the morning and my brain went to sleep hours ago :o Seriously though, it's often really obvious, stupid things that stop me in my tracks; I ran around The Lost Library in TR4 for a good 40 minutes the other day because I kept running right past the ladder in the mechanical room :p Complex puzzles on the other hand don't bother me.

So far, I've only used a walkthrough in TR3, and that was only twice. I've never had to cheat on my first run through the game.

I'm not a competetive player at all. I don't bother with speedruns and the like (though I like watching them). I like to take my time really, and explore every nook and cranny of the level I'm on. Finding secrets is a joy :)

So I would say I'm a fairly skilled, very curious tomb raider.

Veronica Ma
03-02-08, 10:13
I think that if anyone can say they've completed a Japanese TR custom level, then it's safe to say they're a pretty damn good TR player. :vlol:

EDIT: That's without the flycheat, of course. :vlol:

Tomb of Legends
03-02-08, 10:17
Fairly good, I give up to easy and go for a guide when I shouldnt. I have been watching/playing TR for 13 years hehe, I should be better! Im surprised how well Im going with TR4, I sometimes check up with the TRC.com guide, I shouldnt...

tomblover
03-02-08, 10:25
I think that if anyone can say they've completed a Japanese TR custom level, then it's safe to say they're a pretty damn good TR player. :vlol:

EDIT: That's without the flycheat, of course. :vlol: I have. :p (OK, it was a pretty short level but anyways! :p)

Veronica Ma
03-02-08, 10:28
I have. :p (OK, it was a pretty short level but anyways! :p)
Which one was it? :D

in these arms
03-02-08, 10:45
I think of myself as a good TR player, but I make the bad, silly mistakes.

Beanz
03-02-08, 10:46
I'm just a bit better than average I spose :).

george_croft
03-02-08, 10:47
I rarely have problems with boss fights (err, except Boaz:pi:), I think I handle puzzle solving quite fast, and I rarely die in any combat against animals/merc's. Me and my friend got two copy's of AOD the release day, and he still hasn't finished it, so I'd say i'm pretty good. :tea:

a_pok
03-02-08, 12:30
i think that i'm not that bad actually.
but i think that i'm better in AoD TRL and TRA than the classics.
i don't know why but i'm recently playing the classics for the first time and i'm having some trouble with most( TRC was easy finished in less than a week, still in the 2nd level in TR3, stuck in Tibet in TR2...etc.)

Earthcane
03-02-08, 12:54
I rarely have problems with boss fights (err, except Boaz:pi:), I think I handle puzzle solving quite fast, and I rarely die in any combat against animals/merc's. Me and my friend got two copy's of AOD the release day, and he still hasn't finished it, so I'd say i'm pretty good. :tea:
Boaz is my Bane :pi:

Lara Croft!
03-02-08, 15:55
Mediocre to wuss... Like the ammo and medi cheats and won't hesitate to thumb through a walkthrough...

myrmaad
03-02-08, 16:02
It depends on which platform I'm using. I'm still struggling to get the Wii version to bend to my will at my will.

The PS2 bows down to worship me.

My PC thumbs it's nose at me.

Seb_01225
03-02-08, 16:33

Haha i'm with your friend there sorta i got tr:aod on its release date and i only finished it in november 07 so that was the longest one for me like 4 years compared to legends couple of hours

Lara's home
03-02-08, 16:35
I guess im average.

Ikas90
03-02-08, 17:18
I would base skill on how good you are at completing levels using as little medipacks as possible and only pistols in the shortest amount of time.

I guess I'm pretty good at TR2 and TR3, as they are the ones I know the best.

danitiwa
03-02-08, 17:42
I think I'm in the middle, I don't take much damage, but I'm sort of slow at solving traps sometimes. :wve:

And if you consider TRA and TRL TR games, I'm amazing at TR. :rolleyes:

This is an interesting topic though. :tmb:

Bumio
03-02-08, 17:46
i dont know how good i am... im a little frighty cat when it comes meeting the enemy. im always afraid for sudden enemy attack, but hey, thats me :D

scion05
03-02-08, 17:53
I've been playing since i was 5 ( darn sister :p ) so yeah, i'm pretty good :)

MiCkiZ88
03-02-08, 18:39
Well I've completed all TR's without a walkthrough and I didn't find the controls from the classics or AoD hard at all. I guess I'm good. I'm not a careful player though (I use loads of ammo and medipacks) and I've never tried to beat the games as fast as I can. I just like to explore and have fun when I'm playing TR.. well, whilst playing the classics at least. I just can't find the new games (including AoD) that fun. :o

Laurencarter
03-02-08, 19:07
I would say about average

Lenochka
03-02-08, 19:10
I suck at classic TR's! :vlol:
Legend i am really good at... but who isnt? xD
Anniversary i was so-so on, I die every once in a while.

tizerist
03-02-08, 19:16
well i've completed tomb raider: south american adventures and apparently thats top, top level in terms of difficulty, so nothing phazes me, although i certainly do look at walkthroughs if required...

trXD
03-02-08, 19:26
Im going to go ahead and say it... im awful at the classics:o

Eddie Haskell
03-02-08, 19:28
I suck at classic TR's! :vlol:
Legend i am really good at... but who isnt? xD
Anniversary i was so-so on, I die every once in a while.

Im going to go ahead and say it... im awful at the classics:o

It explains a lot...;) :D

ace_85
03-02-08, 19:35
I'm relatively good at all the TRs (Lord knows I'd hope to be after ten years or so of playing them lol), but I know for sure that there are still plenty of people out there who could put me to shame. I've never attempted any of the No-Scratch or Hardcore TR challenges, for example - I know I just wouldn't have the patience. I bow down to those who have completed such trials, and to their greater mastery of the tomb raiding art :D

Yuna´s Wish
03-02-08, 20:06
I´m a very good TR player...when I play at my rythm. I would never imagine doing those crazy speedruns of the classics I often watch :p Still, I can go through TR2 and TR3 (the most difficult TRs to me) and all the others without using Medipacks. However, except for Anniversary, Legend and TR1, I use more weapons than the Pistols during my playthroughs (no weapons/ammo cheat though). I play on PS1 and PS2. I find all the secrets in all of them (all except for AOD, because it doesn´t have...at least during the ordinary playthrough).

And I still occasionally die in the endless pit of Vault of Trophies in AOD :D

coolezpunk
03-02-08, 20:51
I'm pretty good in all TR games, but not pro. :)

xcrushterx
03-02-08, 21:10
I'd say very good. Since I've been playing the games for about 10 years, how could I not be? :D :p

Legends
03-02-08, 21:16
I've almost got all the classics memorized. Those are the real games.