PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Today's Art Community (RANT)

Tombcool
03-02-08, 05:27
I am really sorry for all my talk about art, I really just love it that much. :o

Here it goes...

1. The ever-annoying, "If you only you were popular, then I would like your art". A lot of unknown artists need more recognition, despite how "uncool" they are.

2. "Why don't you die already? Then we can appreciate your art!" Can't we give recognition to an artist BEFORE they pass away? I think this problem has been around for hundreds of years, a lot of examples too.

3. "I don't care how much creativity you have, it's the quality that counts." In my opinion, I think that art should be "rated" more on creativity than quality.

4. "You're how old? You drew this amazing portrait and you're 12 years old?! Oh my goodness, alert the press!" In my opinion, I think every extremely talented artist, despite the age, should get equal recognition.

5. "Representative art is the only good-kind of art." I don't know why, but a lot of people at my school think that art that represents something like an object or person, is the only good kind of art.

Now this next point just relates to something that bugs me only...

6. "What are you talking about? My art isn't cliched and I didn't steal anything!" I really don't like it when an artist creates art they say is 100% original.

I came across this piece of photography @ DeviantArt that is getting tons of recognition:
http://emanuelnoire.deviantart.com/art/CONVICT-76207187

I don't see how its creative at all? I have seen the exact same pose, setting, and scene from many movies and other artworks.

----------------------

I would like to hear your opinions guys. :)

TombFreak
03-02-08, 05:41
Well, I recolored Lara. But I didn't count as my own since I got the pic from TRC. I think if I ever lied about counting something as my own and it wasn't, I'd feel like nobody would want to see my art anymore.

EDIT: My avatar <<

vespertea
03-02-08, 06:34
I came across this piece of photography @ DeviantArt that is getting tons of recognition:

I don't see how its creative at all? I have seen the exact same pose, setting, and scene from many movies and other artworks.

On one hand, I think it's kind of ridiculous that you're frustrated with that piece of work getting praise. I find it aesthetically pleasing; the pose, the colors, and the atmosphere are all beautiful to me. But then again, I may not be as exposed to artwork as you are, so maybe I shouldn't be critical of that.

So, on the other hand, I can empathize whole-heartedly. There are some drawings, paintings, and videos in the fan-art section that I think are complete, absolute trash, and yet they get praised with three pages of "wow!! great!!! :tmb: this is amazing!!! :hug:" (namely, the crappy MS Paint drawings -- except for that one dude on TRF that painted this like.. masterpiece. Forgot who it is.)

4. "You're how old? You drew this amazing portrait and you're 12 years old?! Oh my goodness, alert the press!" In my opinion, I think every extremely talented artist, despite the age, should get equal recognition.

I don't see why a 12 year old prodigy shouldn't be praised. I'm all for recognition, but not equal recognition.

Andariel
03-02-08, 06:39
An artist doesn’t need to be popular, liked, or accepted to make remarkable and exquisite work.

kooky
03-02-08, 06:40
(namely, the crappy MS Paint drawings -- except for that one dude on TRF that painted this like.. masterpiece. Forgot who it is.)

I think that was the user, Only TR Lover. ;)

Quasimodo
03-02-08, 09:17

Nothing makes me stew with envy like seeing someone's gallery on deviant art, then looking on their profile and finding out not only are they better than me, they are YOUNGER than me :hea: It's totally immature, I know...:o

I actually like the photo you linked to...

Veronica Ma
03-02-08, 09:52
I am really sorry for all my talk about art, I really just love it that much. :o

Here it goes...

1. The ever-annoying, "If you only you were popular, then I would like your art". A lot of unknown artists need more recognition, despite how "uncool" they are.

2. "Why don't you die already? Then we can appreciate your art!" Can't we give recognition to an artist BEFORE they pass away? I think this problem has been around for hundreds of years, a lot of examples too.

3. "I don't care how much creativity you have, it's the quality that counts." In my opinion, I think that art should be "rated" more on creativity than quality.

5. "Representative art is the only good-kind of art." I don't know why, but a lot of people at my school think that art that represents something like an object or person, is the only good kind of art.

Now this next point just relates to something that bugs me only...

6. "What are you talking about? My art isn't cliched and I didn't steal anything!" I really don't like it when an artist creates art they say is 100% original.

----------------------

I would like to hear your opinions guys. :)

Well, I guess from the "artist's" point of view (not the community, per se) and I can only give my own opinion here, but I'd have to say that art for the artist is not what you've listed at all. Artists create art because they HAVE to. There is no choice in the matter, it's a compulsion... a passion... and it's so personal and internal that no outside force such as the "community" has anything to do with it.

The "community" will do what they do... they'll take art and make it like some kind of investment on the stock market and hope it makes them lots money in the future. But for the artist... none of that matters and is the furthest thing from what their true intention is when in the "throws of passion and creation". :)

Bumio
03-02-08, 10:06
well, that piece at DA isnt the show of talent or something, but it does show a deep meaning, so it is pointing mostly to that. to understand no matter what piece u should not look at it passingly, every detail has its own meaning.
and the life of artist is always hard, full of injustice and nonrecognition. every person is different and understands art in his own way. the more u are lettered in art, the easier u can understand art and its true, not superficial meaning.
and the problem with copyright i solve by putting watermark on my works and giving only small size if i put work on the internet ;) every artist should do so.

Gregori
03-02-08, 11:55
the piece you linked from DA, I like quite alot!

Paperdoll
03-02-08, 12:03
^ditto. Lack of creativity... well it can happen to alot of us can't it? It's hard to do something that hasn't been done before. IMO it's how you do it, not exactly what you do, but hey that's just me.

The only problem I have with the art community (ie, the Internet art community) is that people are more interested in being nice, even if the piece is an utter and complete piece of **** (which unfortunately happens here alot, it just needs to have "Lara" or "TR" on the title to get recognition) than in actually giving some criticism to let the person improve.

That's my main gripe. As far as the rest goes... couldn't care less. I do it for myself, not for others. I don't want recognition or ego rubdowns, I want criticism and help. So yeah.

Earthcane
03-02-08, 12:06
An artist doesn’t need to be popular, liked, or accepted to make remarkable and exquisite work.
True Andariel, true.

Love Convict, btw :tmb:

Gregori
03-02-08, 12:08
Don't think that the Internet represents the entire art community. There is alot more out there than that. Go to art fairs, museums, exhibitions, galleries, openings (Yes FREE WINE is awesome)

I was at FRIEZE in London in October and it was awesome!! The stuff there blew the socks of me!!

Tombcool
03-02-08, 20:30
@vespertea, what I meant by the whole young 12-year-old artist thing, is that, there are artists out there who work their whole lives to create amazing art and get no recognition, but when a 12-year-old does one piece of artwork that is amazing, they get so much recognition when they don't really need it because 1) they aren't struggling with finances and such like many older artists are and 2) they didn't work hard for it.

Great point. I can't argue with that.

I guess everyone liked that piece I linked then! However, I do know a lot of art have deeper meanings, I mean, why that piece? I have seen so much art out there with meanings so deep that made me want to cry. Ugh, whatever.

Also, the artist, of the piece, "Convict", said that it was an "un-touched" photo. Now, look at the piece again, do you really think he didn't do any Photoshopping to the image?