PDA

View Full Version : Abracadabra! Bush makes privacy board vanish

tlr online
04-02-08, 21:51
The Bush administration has failed to nominate any candidates to a newly empowered privacy and civil-liberties commission. This leaves the board without any members, even as Congress prepares to give the Bush administration extraordinary powers to wiretap without warrants inside the United States.

The failure rankles Sens. Joe Lieberman (I-Connecticut) and Susan Collins (R-Maine), respectively chairman and ranking minority member of the Senate's Homeland Security Committee.

"I urge the president to move swiftly to nominate members to the new board to preserve the public’s faith in our promise to protect their privacy and civil liberties as we work to protect the country against terrorism," Lieberman said in a statement.

"The White House's failure to move forward with appointing the new board is unacceptable, and I call on the administration to do so as quickly as possible to prevent a gap in this vital mission," Collins said in a statement.

In a 2007 measure implementing 9/11 Commission recommendations, Congress reconfigured the oversight committee, known as the Privacy and Civil Liberty Oversight Board. The intent was to make the board more independent of the White House, require it to be bipartisan and make it more accountable to the public.

Those changes came after civil-liberties groups blasted the board for a lack of independence and relevance.

FULL ARTICLE ON WIRED.com (http://www.wired.com/politics/onlinerights/news/2008/02/privacy_board)

DREWY
04-02-08, 22:03
Abracadabra! Bush makes privacy board vanish

I hear there are reasons, but he has kept them, ummm, private :whi:

Ok, who's surprised. Show of hands please. Umm one...........one........

Rivendell
04-02-08, 22:13
Good grief.

Twilight
05-02-08, 00:12
:pi: can't wait for elections....