PDA

View Full Version : And they say Americans are ignorant...

Eddie Haskell
05-02-08, 01:16
Look (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080204/od_afp/britainpeoplehistoryoffbeat;_ylt=ArrpQ9BWfl5hVw2k1 2BysKWs0NUE)

BtoFu
05-02-08, 01:20
Everyone is ignoranté on some level.

Lenochka
05-02-08, 01:22
^^^
Exactly

No offense Eddie, but i personally hate these threads. They always turn out to be an open opportunity for others to judge a whole country on a poll or a video. Basically an open mic for people who want to bash the **** out of other people and where they come from.

Twilight
05-02-08, 01:24
there will be stupid/smart people everywhere, regardless of the nationality.

Eddie Haskell
05-02-08, 01:24
^^^
Exactly

No offense Eddie or any other people who have opened these threads in the past but i personally hate reading these threads. They always turn out to be an open opportunity for others to judge a whole country on a poll or a video. Basically an open mic for people who want to bash the **** out of other people and where they come from.

My thread title might get you think that (if one were preconceived to look at it that way), but my point was exactly as you two have expressed. Ignorance is universal and widespread.

But the Sherlock Holmes part is truly funny...;)

PARANOIA
05-02-08, 01:27
there will be stupid/smart people everywhere, regardless of the nationality.

Ah, yes. But would you be saying that, if the thread's title was "Look at this, proof that Americans are ignorant" and the link inside the thread attributed to it likewise? There'd be floods of people shouting "LOL! AMERICANS SUCK! :D"

digitizedboy
05-02-08, 01:28
I think it all depends on who they gave a survey to really. LOL. Maybe a bunch of chavs...

tlr online
05-02-08, 01:35
Look (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080204/od_afp/britainpeoplehistoryoffbeat;_ylt=ArrpQ9BWfl5hVw2k1 2BysKWs0NUE)

"UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people."

So that will be the unemployed bums who sit their arse fat smoking pot and watching daytime TV. Talk about a rigged vote.

Eddie Haskell
05-02-08, 01:36
UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people.

So that will be the unemployed bums who sit their arse fat watching daytime TV.

Man, it just struck me. That's basically me now...:(

And let me also say that these American surveys that are laughed at by Europeans, almost certainly scour the Jerry Springer crowd in the same fashion.

digitizedboy
05-02-08, 01:37

So that will be the unemployed bums who sit their arse fat smoking pot and watching daytime TV. Talk about a rigged vote.

ROFL

PARANOIA
05-02-08, 01:45

Why, Justin, I've never seen you this hostile towards welfare recipients. ;)

Encore
05-02-08, 01:46
Great choice of example, the most americanized european country! :D

...SORRY I just couldn't resist. :whi: I'm just kidding.

tlr online
05-02-08, 01:49
Why, Justin, I've never seen you this hostile towards welfare recipients. ;)

Well, obviously I'm referring to the small portion of capable-yet-unemployed-by-choice folk who aren't out actively seeking work, and instead pushing up my taxes so they may keep themselves in the manor they have become accustomed to.

No! wonder! Yahoo! is! reporting! reduced! profits! printing! ****! like! that!

digitizedboy
05-02-08, 01:50

...SORRY I just couldn't resist. :whi: I'm just kidding.

The only similarities between Britain and the US is the language. :)

Encore
05-02-08, 01:53
Please I don't wanna start an argument about that. :o

Genocide
05-02-08, 01:56
Well, obviously I'm referring to the small portion of capable-yet-unemployed-by-choice folk who aren't out actively seeking work, and instead pushing up my taxes so they may keep themselves in the manor they have become accustomed to.

I know exactly how you feel...theres a family that lives next door to me...guy & two kids (one at 8 one at 15/16) and the kids never go to school and he never works...yet somehow they can afford big flash cars and T.Vs when honest folk like you and me have to work overtime (a word that probably scares them to death...mainly because of the word work) to make ends meet... i think its ridiculous!

Mad Tony
05-02-08, 07:25

...SORRY I just couldn't resist. :whi: I'm just kidding.I knew there'd be at least one anti-American post in this thread. Always is, even if the thread has nothing to do with America.

I like the message of this thread though. It's so true. There are ignorant people everywhere you go. It's a fact of life. :)

I doubt a quarter of us here in Britain think Churchill is a myth, but it's sad that even a tiny proportion of us do.

Cochrane
05-02-08, 07:33
Odd that you, living in London, jump at the little anti-americanism in this decidedly anti-british thread. But never mind that.

There's a very good rebuttal of that study here: http://www.richardcobbett.co.uk/codex/journal/filingcabinet/dumb_dumb_britain/

The main point is: What questions were asked? How was the research conducted? Unless we know either, we can't really tell how valid the survey is.

Mad Tony
05-02-08, 07:38
Odd that you, living in London, jump at the little anti-americanism in this decidedly anti-british thread. But never mind that.I think it's just highlighting that there are ignorant people wherever you go. I don't find it that anti-British, and it's not like we get much bad press around the internet either from what I've seen so this thread doesn't bother me really.

Elysia
05-02-08, 07:43

No! wonder! Yahoo! is! reporting! reduced! profits! printing! ****! like! that!
You try working with them... Ex-Jobcentre employee here. Ahhh, there's nothing like being threatenend by some bloke who can't be arsed to work (he 'didn't have time' and thought it was 'unfair to expect his missus to stay at home with the kids on her own'. Yeah. Right. You're such a hero...) and due to the fact that he and his missus are popping out kids left right and centre, is actually getting more in benefits than you earn in the month and then has the nerve to say he can't live on what he's getting... :rolleyes:

This is a good point for me to bow out - before I've even started. I have faaaaar too much first-hand experience working with people like that, and to say I have no time for them is just a tad on the understatement side.

ajrich17901
05-02-08, 07:57

yup yup this is pointless

Earthcane
05-02-08, 08:50
Hey could they possibly believe that he was a myth?

Craziness! :eek:

Orionvalentine
05-02-08, 09:23
Ignorance is bliss for some people, obviously there are people like that worldwide.

touchthesky
05-02-08, 09:48

Most polls done by that channel/GMTV are rigged nowadays. Anyway, who the hell watches UKTV Gold?:confused:

myrmaad
05-02-08, 10:04
In my experience, the majority of people have very little interest in history, thus know very little about history.

tlr online
05-02-08, 12:28
Ahhh, there's nothing like being threatenend by some bloke who can't be arsed to work (he 'didn't have time' and thought it was 'unfair to expect his missus to stay at home with the kids on her own'.

Fret not Elysia, at least they have that insipid, condescending, patronising, hypocritical anal-crustacean Jeremy Kyle (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7019266.stm) championing their cause. :)

Obscure
05-02-08, 12:41

Agreed.

If the survey was made in America and about how 3000 people thought an icon such as Abraham Lincoln was a myth then obviously you wouldn't stamp out the whole country as ignorant.
I think this thread is just an excuse to bash Britain.

Greenkey2
05-02-08, 13:23
We're a very democratic species.

Ignorance, bigotry, insightfulness, compassion and being bloody stupid are available to all, regardless of race, creed or nationality :D

Lara Croft!
05-02-08, 13:31
If they asked me all these questions, I would get wrong the King Lionhearted.... :D The name is so literary... LOL!

Every country has people that are ignorant, it's just that Americans are so caught up in their own affairs that neglect the whole world more than other do... I saw a documentary and Americans were asked what the currency of England was and couldn't answer that.... LMAO!!!

myrmaad
05-02-08, 13:33
No one ever asks me these darn questions. :hea:

PARANOIA
05-02-08, 13:39
If they asked me all these questions, I would get wrong the King Lionhearted.... :D The name is so literary... LOL!

Every country has people that are ignorant, it's just that Americans are so caught up in their own affairs that neglect the whole world more than other do... I saw a documentary and Americans were asked what the currency of England was and couldn't answer that.... LMAO!!!

Nice thinly-veiled attack. But I know, and every American on this forum knows, that it's the British pound, so I would be careful on generalizing "Americans."

myrmaad
05-02-08, 13:44
That's the difference between you and me, I guess: I didn't see an "attack" at all, "thinly-veiled" or otherwise.

When I read it, my mind ticked off the hundreds of people I KNOW in real life, who wouldn't have been able to come up with the "pound".

disneyprincess20
05-02-08, 15:17
It's just sad some people don't think it's important to know where we came from. I watched Wife Swap on Sunday night, and a home-schooled child asked the swapped wife what (not who) Shakespeare was. Even if the child is home-schooled, I would have thought she would have an inkling that Shakespeare is a person, not a thing.

There's a very good rebuttal of that study here: http://www.richardcobbett.co.uk/codex/journal/filingcabinet/dumb_dumb_britain/

This rebuttal is interesting: Well, last I checked, the Mona Lisa is widely agreed to be based on someone specific - a woman called Lisa Gherardini, if I remember correctly, but even if not, someone modelled for the thing - so the inclusion of that one is a bit weird, unless the question was specifically “Was she called Mona?”. And Lady Godiva was real enough, although the bit about her riding naked through Coventry was a later, fictional, addition from a guy who really needed to get out more.

So already, my suspicion is that UKTV Gold needs a slap.

Here here!

Eddie Haskell
05-02-08, 15:50
To say that this thread that I started was meant to be an anti-British one is wrong. I was reading the news on Yahoo when i came across it. The poll happened to be British and about them, but it was simply an example of "ignorance" outside of the US. It could have been Portuguese or French for that matter, the point was that ignorance is everywhere. You'd never know it sometimes from some of the threads I have read here, many try and exclusively bullseye the US for being stupid.

So no offense to anyone in particular, unless you are one of the worldwide ignorant that this poll exposes.

Endow
05-02-08, 16:02
A nation's ignorance is proportional to it's arrogance towards others. That's my theory. So yeah, UK fits the bill too :p

PARANOIA
05-02-08, 16:11
A nation's ignorance is proportional to it's arrogance towards others. That's my theory. So yeah, UK fits the bill too :p

Where does that put Palestine and Iran?

Elysia
05-02-08, 16:14
Fret not Elysia, at least they have that insipid, condescending, patronising, hypocritical anal-crustacean Jeremy Kyle (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7019266.stm) championing their cause. :)
Ahhh, Jeremy Kyle - the champion of the unwashed underdog, and the holder of the dubious title 'only man in this world I want to punch more than Jim Carrey'.

As for this topic - individuals are smart. Individuals are erudite. Individuals are charismatic and interesting. The public on the whole, however, leaves a lot to be desired... the average mentality of any given group of people is definitely defined by its lowest common denominator at the end of the day. Therefore, since any society has its equivalent of human plankton... :rolleyes:

Eddie Haskell
05-02-08, 16:16

:vlol:

And there are some who would then place Israel in that same position.

Mad Tony
05-02-08, 16:35
many try and exclusively bullseye the US for being stupid.But why? Because a lot of the people I know who hate America can't even give me a valid reason why they hate it.

Cochrane
05-02-08, 17:19

How does that factor in people who are ignorant of their own nation's affairs and problems, of which there are quite a few?

@Mad Tony: Because the US is so freaking huge, of course. Not just in land mass (you don't see people attacking Russia), but political and economical mass. The US is the last remaining superpower, so it's easy to use it as a target for criticism of the world in general. The second point is that the US are culturally similar to europe, but have very different historical on some key issues (religion, pacifism or welfare, to name just a few), so there's a lot of friction generated for free.

Endow
05-02-08, 17:22

I'm talking about the general populace, and since I don't know any palestinians or iranians, you tell me.

PARANOIA
05-02-08, 17:37
I'm talking about the general populace

That wasn't what you said. You said "nation." Be specific.

BtoFu
05-02-08, 17:57
But why? Because a lot of the people I know who hate America can't even give me a valid reason why they hate it.

The fact that it's a market-driven, an anti-didatic civilisation and most pure example of the western world being that it is in fact such a big country with a big population: the more people you have, the more 'dumb' people you have for it's easier to be Dumb than it is to be Smart. Of course most people who have such reservations always carry them within the context of hating the Dumb makes you Smart...which remains to be seen.

Lew
05-02-08, 18:08
Get over yourself. (:

Obscure
05-02-08, 18:40
it is in fact such a big country with a big population: the more people you have, the more 'dumb' people you have for it's easier to be Dumb than it is to be Smart.
I somewhat disagree with your statement. China isn't knocked for being 'stupid' or 'dumb' and yet it has more people in it's country. I've never heard a person called the Chinese dumb or ignorant but it's not for me to judge.

China = 1,321,851,888

USA = 303,308,000

Sorry if I offended anyone with this post. It wasn't my intention but I just wanted to put a point across.

Mad Tony
05-02-08, 18:50
I somewhat disagree with your statement. China isn't knocked for being 'stupid' or 'dumb' and yet it has more people in it's country. I've never heard a person called the Chinese dumb or ignorant but it's not for me to judge.

China = 1,321,851,888

USA = 303,308,000

Sorry if I offended anyone with this post. It wasn't my intention but I just wanted to put a point across.Don't forget Cochrane's points though. I think America having such a large population has little do with it being constantly bashed. It's to do with the points Cochrane made which I see little need to repeat.

Reggie
05-02-08, 19:02
I don't think the statistics for both the UK and US versions are credible enough. Let's instead look at how many graduates each country turns out. You'd get a far more reliable picture of things then. Not necessarily the entire picture - far from it but you'd do a damn sight better to look for other statistics before arriving at a conclusion about either the US or UK using statistics like this and their ilk (Which Justin summed up very sweetly).

Geck-o-Lizard
05-02-08, 19:04
I wanna know who they interviewed. I was chatting with my mates at college today about this, and tbh, nobody we asked thought that any of those people were imaginary. o_O

scion05
05-02-08, 19:08
Alas, the tables have turned :vlol:

Lol, don't u spend all day on a forum or running a video game fan site ? :whi:

Elysia
05-02-08, 19:09

Woo hoo! Way to go, endearing yourself to the guy who singlehandedly runs, funds and administrates this site!

Reggie
05-02-08, 19:10

That's pretty low.
Is it really appropriate in any way to speculate, let alone judge Justin's creditials as an employed person? I wouldn't dare think to question someone's occupation like that. Or maybe that's just me? *shakes head*

scion05
05-02-08, 19:11
Hey hey, i was joking, not meaning to be taken seriously ! :D

tlr online
05-02-08, 19:38

... running a successful business. Unfortunately, not even my salary can compensate me enough for looking after the likes of you.

scion05
05-02-08, 19:40
Lol, charming o.O

myrmaad
05-02-08, 19:44
*speechless*

Paperdoll
05-02-08, 19:47
OH SNAP!

Well I really got nothing to say about this thread... pretty much there's stupid people everywhere, so yeah. Portugal's no exception dearies. We got ****loads of dumbasses here, it's not even funny. So yeah.

Eddie Haskell
05-02-08, 20:04
OH SNAP!

Well I really got nothing to say about this thread... pretty much there's stupid people everywhere, so yeah. Portugal's no exception dearies. We got ****loads of dumbasses here, it's not even funny. So yeah.

I enjoyed my visits to Portugal. And I must say that all of the people that I had the pleasure of speaking with were quite educated, polite and very worldly.

Titanium
05-02-08, 20:05
Lol, charming o.O

Well you did just insult a guy who dedicates his time to this website, as well as his work time, also his spare time. And the times he gets woken up with a text message at 3am saying the forum isnt working etc.

Basically he does alot.

Paperdoll
05-02-08, 20:05
Eddie Haskell: I'm happy that you got such an impression from this country :) however what I've said is indeed true. As I'm guessing it is true as well for so many countries, no matter how nice and whatnot the people are. There will always be ignorants and dimwits. Fact of life I guess.

But yeah, thanks ^^ much appreciated.

I just realised my "much appreciated" sounds kinda sarcastic XD I was being honest though :p

Endow
05-02-08, 20:21
That wasn't what you said. You said "nation." Be specific.

Yes, it WAS what I said. "Nation" pertains to everyone. Your head understood what it wanted to understand.

BtoFu
05-02-08, 21:55

China = 1,321,851,888

USA = 303,308,000

Sorry if I offended anyone with this post. It wasn't my intention but I just wanted to put a point across.

China isn't a Capitalist nation.

Forwen
05-02-08, 22:02

Oh it is. Not necessarily in all rural regions, but the cities by all means.

BtoFu
05-02-08, 22:08
Everything might be 'made in China' and they may be enjoying the way of the almighty dollar alot more these days, but they're not capitalist the way America is capitalist...they still have a Socratic Oath left in tact whereby education doesn't always have to lead to financial gain.

Obscure
05-02-08, 22:09

China is not a socialist country, however, their economy operates in a semi capitalistic venture.

China has only one political party which is the People's Communist Red China. They had seen what happened to the former Soviet Union where the economy was state run and owned. They decided that in order to survive and compete against the Western nations, China's economy needed to function in a quasi-public operation. Much like how our Federal Reserve Banking system works. It is part private and part public

PARANOIA
05-02-08, 22:10
Yes, it WAS what I said. "Nation" pertains to everyone. Your head understood what it wanted to understand.

Pray pardon me, I'm not an English major nor do I pretend to be one. On this forum it pays to be less ambiguous.

viper456
05-02-08, 22:10
Lol quite funny (in a scary way) I'm glad to say if I was asked about any of them I would of got them all right (thank god).

... running a successful business. Unfortunately, not even my salary can compensate me enough for looking after the likes of you.

lmao!

Cochrane
06-02-08, 08:46

That's not really the point. China does not have an economic, political, military and cultural leadership role for the western world (which is where most of this forum comes from), unlike the US. Also, Chinas culture is far more different from the european than the US culture is. Bluntly put: People will assume that everything China does is strange anyway, so they don't care as much.