PDA

View Full Version : Would You Guys Consider?

Benguitar
05-02-08, 21:06
I was thinking, "Hmm, I wonder if there is a way for every (or a lot) of the members on TRF to get together on like AIM or Skype?

Now it may be to dangerous because of possible arguments breaking out, But I think that if we all could do something like that we could be adults about it?

I was leaning toward Skype because of audio chat, Skype has some of the best sound quality I have heard. And video chat is out of the question because you can't have like 60 members at a time in video chat, But I think a audio chat would be cool between some of us members?

Now I know I am going to get SMASHED about this idea and most will think it is stupid and not waste their time but I had a idea of a lot of us all talking on Skype and saying "Hi I am Ben and My username on TRF is Benguitar" or whatever.

Skype is easy to download, http://www.skype.com/welcomeback/

So please let me know what you guys think. And please be kind about it. :)

And if this thread gets closed then I am deeply sorry for the trouble. :o

jamieoliver22
05-02-08, 21:16
Many people on here use Skype, and I very much doubt people think that it is stupid or a waste of time.

I am on Skype right now, talking to Laura, so go figure :p

Punaxe
05-02-08, 21:17
I have suggested before to start a TRF chat thing.

The best place for this in my opinion is an IRC server - a chat protocol meant specifically for places where many people come together at once.
I would most definitely be there all the time :tmb: (I am on IRC all the time anyway, an extra channel won't do any harm :p)

That's just text-based though. I don't think audio with so many people at once is a very good idea... Not in the least because it brings lots of technical issues along with it.

jamieoliver22
05-02-08, 21:18
I have suggested before to start a TRF chat thing.

The best place for this in my opinion is an IRC server - a chat protocol meant specifically for places where many people come together at once.
I would most definitely be there all the time :tmb: (I am on IRC all the time anyway, an extra channel won't do any harm :p)

That's just text-based though. I don't think audio with so many people at once is a very good idea... Not in the least because it brings lots of technical issues along with it.

Yeah, an IRC channel has been said about a number of times, but it doesn't seem like it will happen any time soon.

Paperdoll
Punaxe: so so true.

I already get issues with just me and other two people, let alone more.

Besides, I use Skype a bit, but with only the folks I talk to the most.

ajrich17901
Id love to chat wit anyone on skype my name on there is ajrich17901 :wve:

Draco
05-02-08, 21:19
Skype wont handle that many people if Im not mistaken.

Perhaps Teamspeak or Ventrilo?

Benguitar
05-02-08, 21:20
I mean text based is fine, I just would like to hear what people sound like. And I figured Skype is a world known thing and it is good so.

Once I get feed back from a lot of people then I will know if we should set a time and date or not bother.

USP
05-02-08, 21:20
Typically I tend to separate my internet life from my offline life
Plus, there are too many Mark Foleys out there

Benguitar
05-02-08, 21:22
Typically I tend to separate my internet life from my offline life
Plus, there are too many Mark Foleys out there

True, but there is a thing with Skype (and just about every other Online Chat Engine) called "kicking from chat." lol

Punaxe
05-02-08, 21:25
Yeah, an IRC channel has been said about a number of times, but it doesn't seem like it will happen any time soon.

Do you know anything more about that?
I suspect moderation may be the issue standing in the way... Although I don't suspect a lot of moderation will be necessary in a friendly community as ours =^.^=
But it's always possible to put a +m on the channel when no mods are around.

jamieoliver22
05-02-08, 21:26
Do you know anything more about that?
I suspect moderation may be the issue standing in the way... Although I don't suspect a lot of moderation will be necessary in a friendly community as ours =^.^=
But it's always possible to put a +m on the channel when no mods are around.

It is because, like you said, there would be no one to moderate it (I personally would help to moderate it) and it takes attention away from the forums.

Punaxe
05-02-08, 21:32
It is because, like you said, there would be no one to moderate it (I personally would help to moderate it) and it takes attention away from the forums.

You just said there will be at least one person to moderate it :p Plus I'm sure others will want to help too, I would be happy to myself.
Also I wonder if it really would take attention away from the forums... Mostly only from the General Chat I think. I think it could help make the forums a place for more serious discussion and not just chit-chat... But I don't know if that's tlr's ideal :p

nick-xx
05-02-08, 22:04
i agree with you Jamie, a IRC channel is perfect, although not everyone use it.

Inkheart
05-02-08, 22:07
I always display my MSN address on my profile, people are more than welcome to contact me there. Don't really see the point of any other contact system (well, we're all on the forum, aren't we?).

Quasimodo
05-02-08, 22:08
That sounds interesting.

About hearing each other instead of typing- how does that work out in a large group? Without visual cues like body language we'd all be talking over one another, wouldn't we?

MiCkiZ88
05-02-08, 22:14
I seriously need to download Skype again. Would be great to have proper convo.

Benguitar
05-02-08, 22:46
Yeah MiCkiZ88 you and I should chat on Skype! That would be great!

So far I am getting a positive feedback from this idea?

Hmm, Now to hear what times are good for people to all get together?

OR

Just have people all add each other on Skype's Friend list and chat on our own time?

(btw I am online on Skype so send me a IM)

Rivendell
05-02-08, 23:12
Something like a TR convention would be super-cool, where we could all meet up :D

jamieoliver22
05-02-08, 23:16
Something like a TR convention would be super-cool, where we could all meet up :D

I would love that also. I believe it could happen, if people were willing to do it. Just have a small TRF convention and meet a load of people. Me and Laura would defiantly come (if you wanted to see us, of course :p).

And you never know, we could always persuade Justin to show his true identity... :p

nick-xx
05-02-08, 23:25
^ yeah but i think Justin live too far, and i think he like cold places :whi:

raiderfun
05-02-08, 23:34

This would definitely be A-W-E-S-O-M-E ! :jmp:

I hope so, I wish I could see each of you and meet you :D

(And Justin with us :rolleyes: :D)

Camera Obscura
05-02-08, 23:35

It feels like this isn't the first time you suggested it. :pi: But a convention would be unrealistic with so many people from so many parts of the world. And who's going to be sponsoring the convention? Certainly not Eidos.

Quasimodo
05-02-08, 23:41
It feels like this isn't the first time you suggested it. :pi: But a convention would be unrealistic with so many people from so many parts of the world. And who's going to be sponsoring the convention? Certainly not Eidos.

A lot(if not most) of TRF members live in England, though, so it'd be feasible for them to have a meetup. They could wear tshirts with their avatars and screenames on them so they could recognise each other :p

jamieoliver22
05-02-08, 23:43
They could wear tshirts with their avatars and screenames on them so they could recognise each other :p

Would this be feasible?

http://www.costumesgalore.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/tn-novorange.jpg

:ton:

Reggie
05-02-08, 23:46
I wouldn't mind a meetup even on the scale the Greek members have here. I mean, it doesn't have to be everyone, but a convention or even just a meetup at least for those who can make it in the UK would be a nice start.

Quasimodo
05-02-08, 23:48
Would this be feasible?

http://www.costumesgalore.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/tn-novorange.jpg

:ton:

you might get pushed into the Thames river if you showed up like that :vlol:

nick-xx
05-02-08, 23:49
I wouldn't mind a meetup even on the scale the Greek members have here. I mean, it doesn't have to be everyone, but a convention or even just a meetup at least for those who can make it in the UK would be a nice start.

this is unfair then X_X, and what about the others.

MiCkiZ88
05-02-08, 23:50
You know I'd be there. I really like the idea.. but it's been suggested so many times and no one has really started planning it, or..?

Postalisback
06-02-08, 00:32
Id love to chat wit anyone on skype my name on there is ajrich17901 :wve:

Added you, stopped using MSN (or WLM as its known now) quite a while ago and I'm not going back to it :P

Benguitar
06-02-08, 00:37

YAY! A Mod thinks this is a good idea! :D!

CAISACO
06-02-08, 01:53
:yik:

Do you know how many people would be talking at once? :vlol:

Good idea though :D

oocladableeblah
06-02-08, 02:11
I've talked a couple times to spitfire on aim, if anyone wants to add me just feel free to. I'd be willing to talk to some peeps maybe not with my voice, but by typing is fine. Can you type on skype? I also got msn, yahoo, and gmail talk thing.

SamReeves
06-02-08, 04:37
Punaxe: so so true.

I already get issues with just me and other two people, let alone more.

Besides, I use Skype a bit, but with only the folks I talk to the most.

Gee I wonder who that is? :whi: :D

I love Skype, but it would be a mess getting all 100 of us on at once.

rowanlim
06-02-08, 06:43
I use skype. But I'm pretty selective, I'm quite paranoid...I prefer to do the "adding", if you know what I mean :)

But it's a great idea for the TRF members who want to know each other better...still, there should be some rules to protect privacy ;)

Benguitar
06-02-08, 10:18
:yik:

Do you know how many people would be talking at once? :vlol:

Good idea though :D

Hmm, true. Although if some how we could split the mass amount of people into 4 or 5 small groups of maybe 10 to 15 people then maybe it would work better? I see people doing this chat basically like a online camp fire?

I've talked a couple times to spitfire on aim, if anyone wants to add me just feel free to. I'd be willing to talk to some peeps maybe not with my voice, but by typing is fine. Can you type on skype? I also got msn, yahoo, and gmail talk thing.

Yes you can type on Skype. :)

Gee I wonder who that is? :whi: :D

I love Skype, but it would be a mess getting all 100 of us on at once.

Hence (Reply to CAISACO's) message, slip up the large amount of people in to "chat rooms"?

Rexie
06-02-08, 14:16
well, I dunno :/ I have skype though...so lemme get this straight,everyone's going in at skype and talking?

if you add me,tell me taht you're from TRF,or I will block you...

Reggie
06-02-08, 22:41
You know I'd be there. I really like the idea.. but it's been suggested so many times and no one has really started planning it, or..?

Hmm well if you'd like to engage in planning, I'm happy to start planning too! :)

Any thoughts?