PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Immigration

marukisu
06-02-08, 03:58
This is a hot topic in America right about now ,and Im doin a paper on the issue and i just wanted to know everyones opinion on it because i need to gather a varied amount of opinions for the paper.

Use the questions that Ward Dragon has kindly listed =) and answer his survey. Answer them with simple answers, because i would like your viewpoints to be stated after the questionare in detail as to why you are for or against it or even if your torn between it.

1) Are you a US citizen? If not, then what country are you from? (to help you analyze the results)

2) Do you believe illegal immigration is a problem? Why or why not?

3) Do you support building a wall on the Southern border?

4) Do you support a special way for illegal immigrants to become citizens without having to leave the country first?

5) Do you think that all immigrants should be required to learn English?

6) Do you support a guest worker program in which immigrants can legally work in the US without obtaining citizenship?

7) Do you want tighter border security in general?

8) Should all businesses be required to check that their employees are legal citizens?

9) Should people employing illegal immigrants be required to pay minimum wage in order to reduce the advantage for hiring illegal immigrants?

10) Should illegal immigrants be actively tracked down and deported back to their home countries?

Ward Dragon
06-02-08, 04:15
Maybe a survey or a couple of more specific questions would be easier for people to answer :)

For example,

1) Are you a US citizen? If not, then what country are you from? (to help you analyze the results)

4) Do you support a special way for illegal immigrants to become citizens without having to leave the country first?

6) Do you support a guest worker program in which immigrants can legally work in the US without obtaining citizenship?

8) Should all businesses be required to check that their employees are legal citizens?

9) Should people employing illegal immigrants be required to pay minimum wage in order to reduce the advantage for hiring illegal immigrants?

10) Should illegal immigrants be actively tracked down and deported back to their home countries?

My questions may be biased since I am strongly against illegal immigration, but I tried to be neutral and cover all of the topics I have heard recently :)

marukisu
06-02-08, 04:29
My questions may be biased since I am strongly against illegal immigration, but I tried to be neutral and cover all of the topics I have heard recently :)

Thanks for the questions and i edited my post in put them in there but gave you credit for coming up with them. Now i could kinda tell that you were strongly against it but could you now go into detail as of why? :)

Jensie17
06-02-08, 04:32
1. Yes i am.
2. Yes, many people struggles alot to be a citizen or to live in the USA and it isnt fair for them while the Illegal can just get in the USA and start to work, stealing our jobs.
3. Yes i do.
4. No i dont.
5. Yes i do.
6. No i dont
7. Yes i do.
8. Yes they should.
9. Yes they should.
10. Yes they should.

marukisu
06-02-08, 04:47
why do you feeel as though if they should not learn english?

ajrich17901
06-02-08, 05:13
1) Are you a US citizen?
A) Yes yes i am born and raised and proud

A) Yes it is,because it seems like everywere ya turn anymore people are illegaly coming into america for alot of bad reasons

A)Yes

A) Yes i support a way to get them here legaly, but they should be taken back to there country first,or do time for breakin the law and coming here illegaly

A) Yes i do, way i see it is if we go to any non english speakin area they expect us to know there language i think its only right they learn ours

A)I guess

A) yes

A) Yes i feel it would help

A) not answerin this one it makes my brain hurt lmao

A) Im not sure how to answer this one, but i guess if they didnt come here legaly its breakin the law so yes

oocladableeblah
06-02-08, 05:18
This is a hot topic in America right about now ,and Im doin a paper on the issue and i just wanted to know everyones opinion on it because i need to gather a varied amount of opinions for the paper.

Use the questions that Ward Dragon has kindly listed =) and answer his survey. Answer them with simple answers, because i would like your viewpoints to be stated after the questionare in detail as to why you are for or against it or even if your torn between it.

1) Are you a US citizen? If not, then what country are you from? (to help you analyze the results) Yes US citizen

2) Do you believe illegal immigration is a problem? Why or why not? idk

3) Do you support building a wall on the Southern border? idk

4) Do you support a special way for illegal immigrants to become citizens without having to leave the country first? Yeah I guess so.

5) Do you think that all immigrants should be required to learn English? YES they're are coming into our country and getting jobs, living in homes in which US citizens can live in etc. they can learn how to speak english.

6) Do you support a guest worker program in which immigrants can legally work in the US without obtaining citizenship? No they should have to be a citizen I don't want some person from another country that isn't even a citizen of this country to take a job that I could have.

7) Do you want tighter border security in general? If it's needed

8) Should all businesses be required to check that their employees are legal citizens? Yes

9) Should people employing illegal immigrants be required to pay minimum wage in order to reduce the advantage for hiring illegal immigrants? Yes

10) Should illegal immigrants be actively tracked down and deported back to their home countries? To some extent, I wouldn't want the gov. to be going into people houses searching for illegal immigrants.
Answers in bold.

Jensie17
06-02-08, 05:20
why do you feeel as though if they should not learn english?

it was a mistake.

rowanlim
06-02-08, 06:41
1. No I'm from Malaysia

2. Yes, it's a problem. It's an invasion, these people are part of the root of social problems these days. All driven by money. No money, but you want things, so they resort to stealing, Malaysia is swarming with snatch thieves etc. And there are worse crimes

3. Huh. What good would it do? In my country :p

4. Illegal immigrants are not bad, but I'd suggest letting them have work permits, some are honestly looking for good clean work; give work permits, but not citizenship.

5. Yeah. Then Malaysians will be obligated to learn English too.

6. Yep.

7. Yep.

8. Yep.

9. They should be fined.

10. Yep.

Mad Tony
06-02-08, 07:13
1) Are you a US citizen? If not, then what country are you from? (to help you analyze the results) - No, I'm from England

2) Do you believe illegal immigration is a problem? Why or why not? - Yes, I do. It has a bad effect on the country and it slows down the immigration process for legal immigrants.

3) Do you support building a wall on the Southern border? - Yes

4) Do you support a special way for illegal immigrants to become citizens without having to leave the country first? - No

5) Do you think that all immigrants should be required to learn English? - Yes

6) Do you support a guest worker program in which immigrants can legally work in the US without obtaining citizenship? - No

7) Do you want tighter border security in general? - Yes

8) Should all businesses be required to check that their employees are legal citizens? - Yes

9) Should people employing illegal immigrants be required to pay minimum wage in order to reduce the advantage for hiring illegal immigrants? - Yes

10) Should illegal immigrants be actively tracked down and deported back to their home countries? - Yes

SamReeves
06-02-08, 07:19
1) Are you a US citizen? If not, then what country are you from? (to help you analyze the results) - I'm a California boy

2) Do you believe illegal immigration is a problem? Why or why not? - Yup. It drains welfare, healthcare, police services, and causes a lot of crime though gangs.

3) Do you support building a wall on the Southern border? - Yes

4) Do you support a special way for illegal immigrants to become citizens without having to leave the country first? - No

5) Do you think that all immigrants should be required to learn English? - Heck yea

6) Do you support a guest worker program in which immigrants can legally work in the US without obtaining citizenship? - I support the law as it is. Get a green card if you want to work in the United States.

7) Do you want tighter border security in general? - Yes

8) Should all businesses be required to check that their employees are legal citizens? - Yes

9) Should people employing illegal immigrants be required to pay minimum wage in order to reduce the advantage for hiring illegal immigrants? - No. Illegals should be immediately deported and their wages terminated.

10) Should illegal immigrants be actively tracked down and deported back to their home countries? - Yes

Cochrane
06-02-08, 08:33

As you wish.

No, I'm from germany. I was born in the GDR, to be precise.

It is a problem. It's a drain on US economics because they get paid less, and it's a problem for them because they don't get any legal protection from anything or benefits.

No. History has shown again and again that building a wall does not help, because it does not change the reasons why people want to go over the border in general.

Yes, but coupled to very tight restrictions, or only available for immegrants who were there before a certain date, so that future immigrants will use the legal ways of getting into the country.

Yes. That does not necessarily mean they have to know it when they arrive, but they have to take courses. Them not knowing their new country's language isn't helping anyone, and giving them an immense disadvantage.

In principle yes, but the program has to be careful: Many of the guest workers will later want to become US citizens, and the program has to take that into account in some way.

I live twenty minutes from both Belgium and the Netherlands, so I've become a great fan of no border security at all. Borders between countries are artificial, and controls should be kept to the minimum possible. If you don't want other people to come over, help improve the conditions in their home country so they won't want to.

I don't see why not, as long as the required checks are reasonable. Requiring a driver's license or a passport, or some other kind of identification you can't get without being a US citizen, shouldn't be that much of a problem. But businesses should not be required to do deep research.

Yep. That proposal makes sense to me.

Yes, I'd say so, but it shouldn't completely destroy their possibilities of ever becoming a legal immigrant.

Benguitar
06-02-08, 10:27

1) Yes born in Florida, lived here all my life.

2) Yes I believe it is a problem, it is giving away jobs to non-Americans so Americans are losing money.

3) Yes

4) I don't know of any?

5) Yes

6) No, I think if you want to work in America then you need to he a citizen of America?

7) Yes

8) Yes

9) Sounds good.

10) Yes, as long as the US helps them become a US citizen if they want to become a citizen.

PARANOIA
06-02-08, 12:57
1. No, I'm from New Zealand
2. YES, because I'm a legal immigrant whose father has been waiting in line for seven years to get citizenship, paying taxes all the while, while others who came here illegally get instant benefits.
3. Liberals will whine about the Berlin Wall and the Iron Curtain, I think the best thing to do is to have strong National Guard patrols, just enough to avoid a refugee from slipping past without authorization.
4. Let them pay a year's worth of taxes, then they can talk.
5. Yes.
6. No. Citizenship should be a gateway to all American services, even if you want to get a job. This reduces the chance of them sending money back to Mexico.
7. Yes.
8. Yes.
9. Yes.
10. Like cockroaches.

Draco
06-02-08, 13:35

Yes

Yes, because anytime the law is broken it is a problem.

No...

No, there is a legal way to become a citizen...and frankly many illegals don't want citizenship, just money.

Only if they want a job...legally.

Yes.

Yes.

Of course they should.

No, they should be fined $50,000 for each one they employ per week of employment.

Yes.

MiCkiZ88
06-02-08, 14:04
1) Are you a US citizen? If not, then what country are you from? (to help you analyze the results) - No, I'm from Finland.

2) Do you believe illegal immigration is a problem? Why or why not? - Yes. For the reasons other people have posted. They drain money from the goverment.

3) Do you support building a wall on the Southern border? - No. Why bother wasting money on that? People would also compare it to the Iron Curtain.

4) Do you support a special way for illegal immigrants to become citizens without having to leave the country first? - Not sure. Perhaps make them pay taxes and other stuff..

5) Do you think that all immigrants should be required to learn English? - Yes.

6) Do you support a guest worker program in which immigrants can legally work in the US without obtaining citizenship? - Yes. For an limited time.

7) Do you want tighter border security in general? - Yes or no. I don't live in the states and I don't know how hard it is to get past the borders. Here you can just hop over the ''border'' if you wish so. No passports required.

8) Should all businesses be required to check that their employees are legal citizens? - Yes.

9) Should people employing illegal immigrants be required to pay minimum wage in order to reduce the advantage for hiring illegal immigrants? - No. Just report them like you should.

10) Should illegal immigrants be actively tracked down and deported back to their home countries? - Yes.

Quasimodo
06-02-08, 14:57
1) Are you a US citizen?
Yes. Born and raised.

Yes. Several reasons:
-Our infrastructure cannot support so many extra people, especially when they don't pay an income tax.
-Criminals cross the border illegally, too. When we cannot keep track of the people coming in here, we cannot know how many more criminals we are getting, too. The result is a rising crime rate.
-Schools, highways, and emergency rooms become overcrowded. On a micro level, you start to see trends like multiple families living in a one-family rent house or apartment(flat).
-Besides the effects on the U.S., illegal immigrants themselves also get a raw deal. In their desperation to get to the U.S., they often come here sealed up in trucks or crossing the desert on foot. Some people take advantage of their desperation by offering to give them transport to the U.S. for a hefty sum, then holding them hostage, or simply taking their money and dumping them off in a desert somewhere.

Yes. It's a start, but the best thing we can do is actually enforce our current immigration laws.

Absolutely not. That would be a slap in the face to the people who spend thousands of dollars and several years becoming a U.S. citizen the legal way. Send illegal immigrants to their home countries, and invite them to wait in the back of the line to get their visas if they want to come back.

Yes. If I'm not mistaken, just about every country requires those seeking citizenship to become fluent in the national language. Besides, immigrants will have a much easier time assimilating in the country if they know our language once they get here - they will be able to read and understand important things like legal contracts and road signs.

Not until the government becomes more efficient at keeping track of the people crossing its borders.

Of course. A secure nation starts with secure borders.

Yes. This would help stamp out the problem of illegal immigration immensely.

How about we simply make it illegal to hire illegal immigrants in the first place? If employers are already hiring people they shouldn't be, what's going to make them follow any laws about paying them?

A resounding yes. If congress can find the money to make teapot museums and bridges to nowhere, then they can certainly find the money to put illegal immigrants back in their home countries.

Ward Dragon
06-02-08, 16:22
Yes, I'm a US citizen.

Yes, it is a problem. It's a financial drain due to the services illegal immigrants use (for example, going to the emergency room of a hospital for non-emergency injuries). They are willing to work for next to nothing, which gives an instant economic disadvantage to businesses which hire legal citizens and must provide benefits and minimum wage, not to mention American citizens don't get those jobs because they can demand that the law is enforced. Illegal immigrants often send money back to their families, so it is leaving the country rather than recirculating here. Finally, poor border security means that many gang members and drug runners are able to get into the country.

I think a wall would make it harder for illegal immigrants to enter the country, so I support it. I do not think a wall alone would do much, though.

No. I think that would only encourage more people to come here illegally because they'll see that they can get rewarded for it by cutting ahead of all of the honest people who are trying to get here legally.

Yes, definately. English is the main language and if people don't understand English, then they might not be able to get a (legal) job and they might not be able to understand instructions given to them by a doctor or a police officer. Not to mention, I don't think it's good for otherwise skilled people (clerks, doctors, etc.) to be at an extreme disadvantage doing their jobs in some areas just because they don't speak Spanish, French, or another language besides English.

Not really because there are already ways for people to get green cards and be here legally without becoming citizens.

Yes, definately. I think having more patrols and enforcing current laws will go a long way to securing the border.

Yes, definately. The businesses should also be fined if they fail to do a proper check, or if they knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

Not really. I think it would be much more effective to fine companies which hire illegal immigrants.

Yes. Police should definitely be able to report illegal immigrants which commit violent crimes, and also the illegal immigrants which stand in groups on roadsides or near the hardware store looking for odd jobs to do. (As it stands right now, police are forbidden from asking about a person's citizenship, even if it is painfully obvious that the person is here illegally) I'm hesitant to say that hospitals should report illegal immigrants because if someone has a contagious disease then I want them getting treatment before they infect anyone else.

Thanks for the questions and i edited my post in put them in there but gave you credit for coming up with them. Now i could kinda tell that you were strongly against it but could you now go into detail as of why? :)

Sorry I took so long to reply. I didn't want to muddy up the questions with my answers in my first post, and then I went to sleep :)

Camera Obscura
06-02-08, 23:32
Yes, born and raised.

Unfortunately, it is. Many of them work at a lower wage because they aren't able to get better jobs, thus creating competition with those who are legal citizens. Not to mention there are criminals or sneak into the country, and in many cases sneak in illegal materials. There's also a financial loss when illegal immigrants do not pay taxes.

No. Building a wall is just a waste of time and money, there will always be a way in.

I'm not sure on this one. Maybe those who participated in crime get the boot while others have to pay fines and pass vigorous exams?

Yes, I do. Main reason is because my mother knows limited English and I'm stuck helping her out in many cases. Word to the wise; translating's a ***** >.<

If you're going to come into this country at least do society a favor and learn the language.

I have mixed feelings about this. My parents came to the U.S over twenty years ago on greencards and my father finally became a citizen a few years ago. Without the card, he wouldn't have had the time to become a full pledged citizen. So I'll have to say yes on this one.

Yes, border control needs to tighten if the U.S plans on resolving this problem. I've seen too many cases on the news where people easily hop a wall or travel across a body of water that has little or no border control.

Yes businesses should be required to do so, now whether or not they hire you is up to them. But they should be something included when looking through your personal information and resume.

No. Many already pay minimum wage because they know that immigrants have nowhere else to go. Especially small businesses who actually rely on the illegal immigrants because they're considered "cheap" labor. Paying minimum wage isn't going to work, you need to consider that these people are willing to do anything for a new life even if it means living in a lower class society, in many cases it's better than what they had back home.

10) Should illegal immigrants be actively tracked down and deported back to their home countries?[/quote]
To some extent. If imprisoned for serious crimes, fraud, have large sums of debt unpaid or for individuals begging on the street, then I believe they should be deported back a.s.a.p. But I don't believe the government should break into people's home and herd them all back like "cockroaches".

:)

Gregori
07-02-08, 11:53
As you wish.

No, I'm from germany. I was born in the GDR, to be precise.

It is a problem. It's a drain on US economics because they get paid less, and it's a problem for them because they don't get any legal protection from anything or benefits.

No. History has shown again and again that building a wall does not help, because it does not change the reasons why people want to go over the border in general.

Yes, but coupled to very tight restrictions, or only available for immegrants who were there before a certain date, so that future immigrants will use the legal ways of getting into the country.

Yes. That does not necessarily mean they have to know it when they arrive, but they have to take courses. Them not knowing their new country's language isn't helping anyone, and giving them an immense disadvantage.

In principle yes, but the program has to be careful: Many of the guest workers will later want to become US citizens, and the program has to take that into account in some way.

I live twenty minutes from both Belgium and the Netherlands, so I've become a great fan of no border security at all. Borders between countries are artificial, and controls should be kept to the minimum possible. If you don't want other people to come over, help improve the conditions in their home country so they won't want to.

I don't see why not, as long as the required checks are reasonable. Requiring a driver's license or a passport, or some other kind of identification you can't get without being a US citizen, shouldn't be that much of a problem. But businesses should not be required to do deep research.

Yep. That proposal makes sense to me.

Yes, I'd say so, but it shouldn't completely destroy their possibilities of ever becoming a legal immigrant.

Wow, that was about the most intelligent response I've read on the whole thread :)

Cochrane
07-02-08, 12:48
Wow, that was about the most intelligent response I've read on the whole thread :)

Thanks, but don't confuse intelligent with agreeing with your opinion. Ward Dragon and Camera Obscura both posted answers that I think are more intelligent, even though I don't agree with them in all points,

Gregori
07-02-08, 13:11
Thanks, but don't confuse intelligent with agreeing with your opinion. Ward Dragon and Camera Obscura both posted answers that I think are more intelligent, even though I don't agree with them in all points,

I certainly wouldn't. I don't agree with alot of your post, but it atleast it was actually thoughtful.

USP
07-02-08, 20:16
Yes.
Yes, these illegals are free riders.
With turrets.
No. That is called subsidizing.
Yes.
No.
Yes.
On the fence with this one.
No. That will just cause more unemployment.
Yes, but how?