PDA

View Full Version : If you were stranded..

CAISACO
07-02-08, 04:38
I recently watched Cast Away starring Tom Hanks, and it was a really good movie!
So I thought I would start this thread and ask..

If you knew you were going to be stranded on a deserted island, which three things would you want with you and why?

I would want:
Matches-for fires
A working boat with gas in it- to get away!
Fresh water- so I don't die!

oocladableeblah
07-02-08, 04:40
I would want a cell phone to call for help, a laptop with a wireless card that uses satellites again to communicate for help, and matches or lighter for a fire.

nick-xx
07-02-08, 05:11
in a long-term i would want (if its not possible to ever return):

- a axe and knife (could be useful);
- a Laptop with solar power with satellite communication. (just for entertainment and chatting);
- a woman/girl (if not, being alone we can go crazy, although i have a laptop)

in a short-term i would want (if possible to return):

- mobile phone with satellite network (to get out of this island);
- some snacks;
- a nds/psp (just for entertaining while the rescue is in the way)

Lenochka
07-02-08, 05:36
Heli with full tank of gas
Boat with full tank of gas
flaire gun just incase i need to flag down some peeps to save me

DREWY
07-02-08, 05:47
Sunscreen
Jessica Alba
and a gun (so I could scare any rescuers away) :whi:

Necromanser
07-02-08, 06:27
Sunscreen
Jessica Alba
and a gun (so I could scare any rescuers away) :whi:
You read my mind.

Shark_Blade
07-02-08, 06:56
I would want a cell phone to call for help, a laptop with a wireless card that uses satellites again to communicate for help, and matches or lighter for a fire.
It'll be useless when the electricity ran out.

As for me I would like

- fresh water & water tumbler to store
- a tent as shade and safe temporary home
- A pack of lighters to start fire

Tthe Spirit
07-02-08, 07:10
A carpet to pray on...
laptop and TR games :D :D

rowanlim
07-02-08, 08:55
It'll be useless when the electricity ran out.

As for me I would like

- fresh water & water tumbler to store
- a tent as shade and safe temporary home
- A pack of lighters to start fire

My thoughts exactly :p

Though I wish I could just have a magic carpet :whi:

Carbonek_0051
07-02-08, 09:02
A Gun with one bullet, My name, & Rum.....:whi:

disneyprincess20
07-02-08, 09:48
I'd want:
A machete - for cutting stuff
Tarpaulin (a big sheet of waterproof material) - for bedding/shelter
Rope - for tying stuff
Some form of water purification
Lots of whiskey - for fun times!
Ewan McGregor - for really fun times! :D

And... Dental Floss and Duct Tape. You have no idea how useful these two items can be. :tmb:

Oh, and toilet roll. :pi:

MiCkiZ88
07-02-08, 10:12
I'd want:
A machete - for cutting stuff
Tarpaulin (a big sheet of waterproof material) - for bedding/shelter
Rope - for tying stuff
Some form of water purification
Lots of whiskey - for fun times!
Ewan McGregor - for really fun times! :D

And... Dental Floss and Duct Tape. You have no idea how useful these two items can be. :tmb:

Oh, and toilet roll. :pi:
The best answer yet.. well.. I'd leave the whiskey and Ewan McGregor out. :p

I'd take:

Machete/survival knife. Usefull for cutting stuff out of trees, hay, bamboo, food etc.
Something to store food and suplies into (though it could be made from something)
Something to store water into.

Better change of survival with those than with a laptop, cell and snacks. :p

disneyprincess20
07-02-08, 10:18
^^ Don't discount the dental floss or duct tape. They are genuinely useful items. Dental floss is surprisingly strong, and can be used as string, thread, and even as shoe laces. I went trekking in Borneo when I was younger, and ended up with dental floss shoe laces and fixed some of the little bean bags in the village school we visited with the floss. It's good stuff :tmb:

Duct tape just covers any rips, in anything. It's also quite useful if the rope is being used for something else. you can create a loop around a branch to hang things up if you don't want them on the ground (prepared food, for example). It's not perfect but it's a back up. :)

We can negotiate on the form of alcohol and entertainment :D

Necromanser
07-02-08, 10:20
And you can strangle animals wth it *maniacal grin*

MiCkiZ88
07-02-08, 10:24
^^ Don't discount the dental floss or duct tape. They are genuinely useful items. Dental floss is surprisingly strong, and can be used as string, thread, and even as shoe laces. I went trekking in Borneo when I was younger, and ended up with dental floss shoe laces and fixed some of the little bean bags in the village school we visited with the floss. It's good stuff :tmb:

Duct tape just covers any rips, in anything. It's also quite useful if the rope is being used for something else. you can create a loop around a branch to hang things up if you don't want them on the ground (prepared food, for example). It's not perfect but it's a back up. :)

We can negotiate on the form of alcohol and entertainment :DOoh, I remember my teacher saying something about the dental floss ages ago, but I kinda forgot. :o But a very good reply! You seem to know about survival.

Ah yes.. entertainment.. I'd just take Johny Depp with me. Dress him as Jack Sparrow and give him loads of rum. Mwahah!

disneyprincess20
07-02-08, 10:36
Ooh, I remember my teacher saying something about the dental floss ages ago, but I kinda forgot. :o But a very good reply! You seem to know about survival.

Ah yes.. entertainment.. I'd just take Johny Depp with me. Dress him as Jack Sparrow and give him loads of rum. Mwahah!

Aah, the Pirates form of entertainment, a good choice! :D

I've just been trekking a lot. I've figured out what was useful and what was not with experience. Things like alcohol gel for your hands, taking care of your socks, M&M's, a lighter, salt packets, etc. It's all stuff you take for granted in a domestic environment and then curse yourself for not taking with you on a trek. :)

Benguitar
07-02-08, 10:43
Someone special - Love and Compassion

WATERPROOF matches - they don't die if wet, they keep you warm and your someone special warm. :mis:

Ax - cut ope coconuts and get fire wood.

Archetype
07-02-08, 10:49
A hammock
Sarah chalke
Never ending supply of food and water
Shelter

Metal_Madman
07-02-08, 11:17
Playing Pirate?

My choices for short time:
1. A guitar
2. Much beer
3. Sunglasses

Long time:
1. A girlfriend
2. Still want to have a guitar
3. Stuff for writing

DickDan
07-02-08, 11:25
I'd call some1 lol?

Aria
07-02-08, 12:00
mmm i'd have to take:
a knife
rope (any form)
and possibly someone to keep me sane!!
lol

DREWY
07-02-08, 12:03
mmm i'd have to take:
a knife
rope (any form)
and possibly someone to keep me sane!!
lol

Well i'd hope it's not me. Imagine being stuck on an island with a possible insane person who has a knife and some rope. :p

Ikas90
07-02-08, 12:53
I watched Cast Away last night.

I'd want to stay on the island. I don't need to live in a controlled world. :p

Rexie
07-02-08, 13:59
Glasses
A stick
A rope
Candy/worms/something that moves (you:O_O)

sorry,I played too much club penguin..the club penguin agents would know what I mean :pi:

if you don't get it, I need a rope and a stick to make a fishing rod,the put something on the rope,catch some fish,use my glasses to use the POWA OF SUN!!(:pi:) and make fire and cook the fish,If I get thirsty,there are always coconuts...

and I wouldn't mind taking some pepper :pi:

Earthcane
07-02-08, 14:06
:eek:

This thread is so hard to answer :p

Will reply when I think of something really spiritual and philosophical :D

PARANOIA
07-02-08, 14:08
1. A nuclear missile battery.
2. A nuclear reactor (for power).
3. A water desalinization plant.
4. Twinkies.

Cochrane
07-02-08, 14:15
Obviously I cannot give a fully qualified answer as the type of island isn't specified very well. My basic anti-survival kit would include:

Helicopter with full tank
Computer with some flight simulation program (to learn how to operate a)
Lots of batteries (to operate b)

If we say that's cheating, or I'll be rescued some other way anyway, then I'd want:

A multi-purpose tool, swiss army knife, leatherman or something similar. The more it can do, the better.
Either lots of rope or lots of duct tape, I haven't yet decided which one I'd consider better
A survival handbook telling me how I could live even if I didn't have 1. and 2.

vespertea
07-02-08, 14:29
Chuck Norris
Rhona Mitra
the internet

PARANOIA
07-02-08, 14:41
Chuck Norris
Rhona Mitra
the internet

Uh, yeah, don't bother taking Chuck Norris with you. He'll just declare sovereignty on the island and exile you (read roundhouse kick you and the Internet into the ocean.)

Capt. Murphy
07-02-08, 14:46
If you knew you were going to be stranded on a deserted island, which three things would you want with you and why?
First I'd want a gun, a car, and picture of my sweetheart.

Since I know I'm going to be stranded on a deserted island I'd use the gun to try to rob a bank. I'd make my get away in the car. And after I'm in the slammer (i.e. I'm not going ANYWHERE!) I'd want to look at my sweety's picture.

Deserted Island: Avoided! :ton:

But for the sake of the topic: Let's say the justice is all perverted and instead of the slammer I'm sent to the island...

I'd want a food supply, water, and a working hamm radio (or whatever) to call for help to get me off the island. Or instead of the radio a fully fueled speed boat equiped with a global navigaton system.

PARANOIA
07-02-08, 14:48
What's all this ruckus on wanting to get off the island and return to civilization, rather than make your own paradise?

Henry David Thoreau, anyone? Ralph Waldo Emerson?

You've got an island all to yourself. Not many other people have that advantage.

Capt. Murphy
07-02-08, 14:51
What's all this ruckus on wanting to get off the island and return to civilization, rather than make your own paradise?

Henry David Thoreau, anyone? Ralph Waldo Emerson?

You've got an island all to yourself. Not many other people have that advantage.
Well, it's possible you can get back to civilization to bring someone back with you... :whi:

vespertea
07-02-08, 14:54
Uh, yeah, don't bother taking Chuck Norris with you. He'll just declare sovereignty on the island and exile you (read roundhouse kick you and the Internet into the ocean.)

:|

Fine, I'll take an electric torch instead.

PARANOIA
07-02-08, 14:58

:|

Fine, I'll take an electric torch instead.

Bit hard to use without electricity, isn't it?

Nannonxyay
07-02-08, 14:59
Life time supply of food and water
My Computer
My best friend

:wve: That's all I need!

touchthesky
07-02-08, 14:59
Chocolate.
Logs.
Fire.

Draco
07-02-08, 16:08
3 Smokin' Hot Ladies (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wwZdm_gK7TQ&feature=related)

Everything else would already be there.

Lara Coft Baby
07-02-08, 16:18
Lets see

My Boyfriend :p
My computer
My Playstation 2 :jmp:

Eddie Haskell
07-02-08, 17:20
It depends on the makeup of the isle. How large is it? Is it tropical, arid, temperate or frigid? Does it have a fresh water supply? Is there edible vegetation? Are there raw materials to create a shelter, or are natural ones accessible?

But for the sake of simplicity and the notion that you meant a tropical one, I would take a machete, a survival kit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_kit) and some rabbits. Let them run wild and breed, constant rejuvenating food supply. :D

But in reality I would need one item: a 45' yacht with communications...;)