PDA

View Full Version : Survival skills

Metal_Madman
07-02-08, 11:24
Do you have what it takes to survive alone?
Alone in the forests, miles and miles away from people.
Or stranded on an island.

What suvival skills do you have?
I can start a fire with things i find out there.
I also have enough about blacksmithing experience to make cutting tools (knifes, swords, arrows etc.).
I know what I can eat and not (or at least in norway).
How to find the direction with the help of plants, the sun, the stars and the moon.
How to keep dry.

Necromanser
07-02-08, 11:30
I'm a pretty good swimmer.
Adapted to very cold and hot climates.
Can start a fire with only 1 match.
Can tie a few knots.
I can make rope out of plants.
I can make things out of bamboo like bowls and cups.
Can make a few simple traps.

There's some more skills but I can't list them all.I went to survival camp for a few weeks,read a lot of books on survival and the place where i come from has a pretty harsh climates.That's where I learnt my skills.

Metal_Madman
07-02-08, 11:34
I live on northern norway, so here it's very important not to sweat on cold days.
Especially when it is winter, when temperatures can get down to -30 degree celsius.
Even colder.

MrBear
07-02-08, 11:35
I would be dead within an hour :D

Well, seriously, I don't have alot of survival skills.. I'm pretty sure I could navigate from the stars or observing which side of the tree has mold on it (which would point North - or at least I was told, perhaps it's just bollocks).. and about flora, I know where to look on a mushroom, I just can't remember what makes them poisonous and what indicates they are edible :p

Ikas90
07-02-08, 11:49
And I watched Cast Away last night. :D

To be honest, it would be hard work surviving out there in the wild, since most people are used to the easy way of life. Us humans evolved too quickly, because we weren't happy. That's why we've invented machines that make life easier for us. Back then, we had enhanced senses and we were able to hunt for our food with spears. Now what, guns? Get the butcher to do the dirty work for you?

But I would like to try living in the wild. Complete freedom, no stresses or worries. :wve:

Aria
07-02-08, 12:14
mmm, i can make shelters, tie knots, use a knife and know how to keep it sharp, i'm farly fit, i can swim and more importantly i can shout for help!! :p
to stay alive all you need is a knife and common sence!!

Necromanser
07-02-08, 12:25
And I watched Cast Away last night. :D

To be honest, it would be hard work surviving out there in the wild, since most people are used to the easy way of life. Us humans evolved too quickly, because we weren't happy. That's why we've invented machines that make life easier for us. Back then, we had enhanced senses and we were able to hunt for our food with spears. Now what, guns? Get the butcher to do the dirty work for you?

But I would like to try living in the wild. Complete freedom, no stresses or worries. :wve:
Except for bugs,wild animals,getting food and hygiene.

rowanlim
07-02-08, 12:41
I don't think I'll last. :ton:

Cochrane
07-02-08, 13:29
I can usually find my way around given a map, I can vaguely tell directions from where the sun is pointed at, and... Well, I guess that's it already. Oh wait: If you give me a good computer game, I can go for days without eating.

Frankly, I think I'd die in the wilderness. It's just not for me.

myrmaad
07-02-08, 13:32
I'd be fine.

vespertea
07-02-08, 13:33
Since I'm the perfect human being, I'd be able to survive anything and everything. No need to list all of my abilities and skills, as it would probably intimidate all of you.

Capt. Murphy
07-02-08, 13:37
I can't say I have any... But I believe if I was forced into the situation I could manage... maybe. The first task is always to get shelter, then make a fire. Hopefully water is nearby, then find a way to boil it with the fire to kill any parasites (but this may not be possible - so go ahead and chug-a-lug). Then you'd need to find food (usually plants first), then work on tools for hunting for meat. Fish, birds, rodents, or bigger things x_X! If it were in the desert - I remember you could dig a hole, put a tarp over it, weigh it down on the sides, and place a rock in the center. Overnight, condensation will form on the inside of the tarp then run down to the center and drip into a container you should've placed inside the hole beforehand (d'oh!). :p Because I think cactus water is poisonous. I'm not sure. Better to be safe than... well, dead. :D

Rexie
07-02-08, 13:40
Island:
Kick the hell out of trees and force them to give meh mah coconuts >:[

Snowy Cold Place:
Bring my PSP and watch Mythbusters,how to survive

Desert:
Eat anything that moves...

okay,on topic:
I can burn stuff,I can fish with a rope of plants,I can swim,I can shoot,I can climb on trees, and some other stuff...