myrmaad
07-02-08, 18:10
I don't understand why.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7233537.stm

Another story:

WEB EXTRA / Romney steps aside, paves the way for McCain

By TOM BENNER
Patriot Ledger State House Bureau
Former Gov. Mitt Romney abandoned his presidential campaign today, all but guaranteeing that Arizona Sen. John McCain will be his party's candidate in November.

Romney, 60, of Belmont, who began methodically planning his White House bid following his 2002 election as Massachusetts governor, told a conservative group in Washington that he doesn’t want to become a divisive figure in the race for the Republican nomination.

It now seems certain that McCain will face the Democratic nominee. Super Tuesday, with 24 states picking delegates, left Democratic candidates Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton in a virtual tie.

Although McCain only won two more states than Romney on Tuesday, he took a commanding lead in the number of delegates needed for the nomination.

``If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win,'' Romney told the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington today.

``And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.''

``This is not an easy decision for me. I hate to lose. My family, my friends and our supporters... many of you right here in this room... have given a great deal to get me where I have a shot at becoming President. If this were only about me, I would go on. But I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America.''

Overall, McCain led with 707 delegates, to 294 for Romney and 195 for former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee. It will take 1,191 to win the nomination at this summer’s convention in St. Paul, Minn.

``I disagree with Senator McCain on a number of issues, as you know. But I agree with him on doing whatever it takes to be successful in Iraq, on finding and executing Osama bin Laden, and on eliminating al-Qaida and terror,'' Romney wrote.

Tom Benner may be reached at tbenner@ledger.com.

Copyright 2008 The Patriot Ledger
Transmitted Thursday, February 07, 2008

Quasimodo
07-02-08, 18:12
You beat me to it, Myr! ;)

I'm disappointed with Romney, but I'm still a little confused as to why McCain suddenly got so popular.

dinahcat
07-02-08, 18:28
I have no idea of what to say. This may be the first year I have never voted. I don't know how I could place my vote for any of the candidates now. :(

I'm a staunch conservative (sorry to dissappoint you, Myr! Hope we can still be pals! :D) and McCain is too moderate, nay, liberal for me.

Maybe I'll move to a deserted island somewhere...with electricity for my PS3!

myrmaad
07-02-08, 18:42
I never choose my friends on the basis of their politics! :hug: Friends are much more important than that.

Eddie Haskell
07-02-08, 18:44
I never choose my friends on the basis of their politics! :hug: Friends are much more important than that.

Absolutely! If I thought that way, I would not have lost many friends from my old unit. Politics has become nasty because of the money and the special interests. Not the regular Joe's who simply vote. Unfortunately the "Swift Boater types" will be out in force again, you'll see.

Mad Tony
07-02-08, 18:46
Hmm... so this means McCain is pretty much the Republican candidate?
That's a shame. I'm supporting Huckabee but he hasn't got much of a chance. Oh well, I'll still support McCain against the Democrats. :)

Anubis_AF
07-02-08, 18:48
He probably wouldn't have made it anyway.

Eddie Haskell
07-02-08, 18:49
Hmm... so this means McCain is pretty much the Republican candidate?
That's a shame. I'm supporting Huckabee but he hasn't got much of a chance. Oh well, I'll still support McCain against the Democrats. :)

Don't worry Mad Tony, these strange notions and ideas will grow out of you soon ...;)

myrmaad
07-02-08, 19:00
I have no idea of what to say. This may be the first year I have never voted. I don't know how I could place my vote for any of the candidates now. :(

I'm a staunch conservative (sorry to dissappoint you, Myr! Hope we can still be pals! :D) and McCain is too moderate, nay, liberal for me.

Maybe I'll move to a deserted island somewhere...with electricity for my PS3!

McCain, though he's somewhat moderate, I think that's what attracts so many to him. This may be difficult to hear or understand but Clinton won with such large numbers because he was quite moderate. Many conservatives don't want to see it, but it's quite true. Clinton was always too conservative for my view.

He kowtowed far too often to corporate power, globalization, big media, allowed Rwanda, allowed the bombing of Serbia (I have a close friend who lives in Belgrade) allowed Michael Milken to get a slap on the wrist, allowed the destruction of the Redwoods, I could go on and on.

Barack and Hilary are both too conservative for my taste as well. I want a flexible fuel plan legislated ASAP, I don't want a civil war in the middle east, I want to stop subsidizing the killing of palestinians.

So now, you might "hate" me :o. But I hope not, it's best to realize that each of us is just trying to do the right thing as we see is best. I only know that I want to make a difference and leave this world a better place than I found it. I'm not a passivist, though. I'm a person who struggles to overcome my own defects.

Absolutely! If I thought that way, I would not have lost many friends from my old unit. Politics has become nasty because of the money and the special interests. Not the regular Joe's who simply vote. Unfortunately the "Swift Boater types" will be out in force again, you'll see.

:confused: so why don't you think like that?
I just made it a rule to not discuss religion and politics with my friends past a certain point if we both feel strongly. I normally won't push IRL and many of my friends have ended up adopting a similar view as mine over time. *Maybe I'm a bad influence*

Mad Tony
07-02-08, 19:02
Don't worry Mad Tony, these strange notions and ideas will grow out of you soon ...;)What strange notions and ideas?

Cochrane
07-02-08, 19:03
That sounds very selfless of him, but being the cynic that I am, I have a feeling that there might be more to it. Maybe his campaign suddenly lost a lot of money they thought was secure?

Anyway, from what little I know it seems to me that McCain is the most reasonable of all Republican candidates (even though he's not liberal, no matter what some here think), so I guess it's not a bad thing.

Edit: @myrmaad: I think Eddie's trying to say that he thinks like you, at least that's the only way his statement makes sense to me.

myrmaad
07-02-08, 19:09
:off:

It's hard to "gage" how far is too far on a forum. Some want to continue discussion others feel so strongly that there can't help being some hurt feelings. When it's face to face and one on one, it's so much easier to show your compassion for their view as well as try to express your own frustrations and ideals.

Eddie Haskell
07-02-08, 19:11
:confused: so why don't you think like that?
I just made it a rule to not discuss religion and politics with my friends past a certain point if we both feel strongly. I normally won't push IRL and many of my friends have ended up adopting a similar view as mine over time. *Maybe I'm a bad influence*

Healthy discussion is fine. As long as you can agree to disagree amiably than real discussions are not a threat to a friendship. And I thought that was evident in my approach. Just goes to show you, one mans pat on the head is a another mans knockout punch.

Edit:
And yes, Cochrane is correct. :)

What strange notions and ideas?

Just having some fun.:D It is great that you are taking an interest in politics and the various types of governments in and outside you own country. Mad Tony, my best advice to you is to read, read and read. Study the various philosophies of the parties, and the consequences and effects of electing one party/candidate over another. There are great philosophical differences to be sure.

myrmaad
07-02-08, 19:17
You make a great point, Eddie. As a matter of fact I've not had much success maintaining friendships with 'real life" male friends who disagree with me, politically. Only when there has been clear pronounced affection + sexual attraction, which I avoid due to being "very married". With women my experience has been quite different.

SamReeves
07-02-08, 19:29
Meh, McCain's doing an excellent job of selling snake oil. Rhinos are running amuck this year. :pi:

USP
07-02-08, 20:07
Just having some fun.:D It is great that you are taking an interest in politics and the various types of governments in and outside you own country. Mad Tony, my best advice to you is to read, read and read. Study the various philosophies of the parties, and the consequences and effects of electing one party/candidate over another. There are great philosophical differences to be sure.

Fine, but you are assuming that he isn't as informed as you are because he takes a political point of view that you find inferior.
It reminds me of how evangelicals think of atheists.

Quasimodo
07-02-08, 22:35
Fine, but you are assuming that he isn't as informed as you are because he takes a political point of view that you find inferior.

Ouch, but good analogy.

GodOfLight
07-02-08, 22:37
another one down :jmp:

Eddie Haskell
07-02-08, 22:42

No reading between the lines is necessary. It is good advice for anyone, including me. In fact, I have ordered a book (http://www.amazon.com/Libertarianism-Against-Craig-Duncan/dp/0742542599/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202424152&sr=8-4) from Amazon. It should be a good read.

USP
07-02-08, 23:09
I like books.
http://www.mises.org/resources.aspx is good.
http://www.mises.org/story/2060 is probably the best thing you can read.... Bastiat was a beast

AmericanAssassin
07-02-08, 23:14
I read about this earlier... What a happy day. :D

Ward Dragon
07-02-08, 23:45
I can't believe Romney backed down :( I'm so disappointed in him now. I can't bring myself to vote for McCain, so if Hillary wins for the Democrats then I'm just voting "uncommitted" this time around. There's a slight chance I might vote for Obama if he wins for the Democrats, but I need to look into him more before I decide. Maybe I will vote for some random 3rd party candidate that has no chance of winning just to show I'm not happy with the main candidates.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I know Romney is doing the "honorable" thing by allowing McCain to start campaigning against the Democrats now rather than after the convention, but he really shouldn't have done it. McCain is dishonest, does not inspire a lot of confidence from conservatives, and will be very easy for the Democratic candidate to tear apart. There was still a chance Romney could have won the Republican nomination. If it had come down to Romney versus Obama, then I think it could have been a relatively clean election for once without too many lies or personal attacks (at least not from the candidates). At least, that's the impression I've gotten so far -- that Romney and Obama were both emphasizing what they could do right rather than what their opponents would do wrong.