PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a paper concerning Christianity.

marukisu
08-02-08, 02:34
Im doing a paper on Christianity and i have been given several questions but its been kind of hard to answer these. i can answer them but its alot and i could start from alot of places but i need a place to start and focus , and im hoping your opinions will help me.

Here are the questions:

1 How Has Christianity a source of good or evil in the 20th century?

2 How has Christianity influenced politics in America?

3 What signs show us that America is a Christian country?

4 How has Christianity changed to adapt to American culture?

5 How have politicians used the name of God to make decisions in the 20th century?

PARANOIA
08-02-08, 02:36
Answer them based on your personal beliefs, not on those of people on these forums. Otherwise, you'll be very confused later in life.

marukisu
08-02-08, 02:40
lol i know i need to answer it based on what i think but sometimes when people debate about something or gie their opinions it helps me formulate my own.

USP
08-02-08, 02:45
Just talk about how evil it is
List all of the deaths caused by religion and then sum it up by saying "Thou shall not kill, huh."

Draco
08-02-08, 02:49
If I start, I won't stop.

So I'll put it simple, Christianity is the most selfish religion in the world...and it shows.

nick-xx
08-02-08, 02:51
^ but also there is not a single religion you could say that is "correct" or "good" then the others.

Ward Dragon
08-02-08, 02:55
I'm guessing you go to a private Christian school? You should always believe what makes the most sense to you. You should also consider your professor's personal criteria for evaluating papers while you write yours. If the professor looks for good arguments with lots of proof, then do that. If the professor is more interested in personal experiences and insights, then do that instead. Also, if the professor is harsher towards opinions he doesn't agree with, then be sure to give really good reasons, avoid being overly confrontational, or whatever else will prevent him from taking points off :)

As for your actual questions, my mind went totally blank and I can't think of anything specific to mention :o

Quasimodo
08-02-08, 03:55
If you're interested in a good grade, get a feel for your teacher's views on Christianity then write a paper that supports that. (you'll learn this is sometimes the only way to get a passing grade with some college professors...)

If you're interested in really exploring whether Christianity has been a source of good or evil in the 20th century, read the works of several historians - both those who are pro-Christianity and those who believe Christianity is a source of evil. Always think about the writers' personal bias, and how he or she may represent historical events in a certain context. Pay careful attention to the causal relationships the writers are trying to prove, e.g. statements like "This happened as a result of that,". Once you consider all sides of the 'story', you can form your own opinion and cite examples to back your arguments.

Chris.Talg0
08-02-08, 03:57
for number 3 the signs are the national anthem, and the pledge of alegence(spelling?) im not sure if theres more...

BtoFu
08-02-08, 05:35
If I start, I won't stop.

So I'll put it simple, Christianity is the most selfish religion in the world...and it shows.

Yeah we're all about skimming off the top of the collection plates.

Draco
08-02-08, 07:47
Yeah we're all about skimming off the top of the collection plates.

And forcibly converting people who have no interest in converting...or condemning them based on your values...or simply declaring a holy war (or was it six?) to get back lands that never belonged to you so the Pope could have some self actualization...

When I went to church, it was full of people who only went to make themselves look and feel important, everyone who volunteered for things did it to be recognized and rewarded.

The only honesty came from the crying babies...

Archetype
08-02-08, 10:06
And forcibly converting people who have no interest in converting...or condemning them based on your values...or simply declaring a holy war (or was it six?) to get back lands that never belonged to you so the Pope could have some self actualization...

When I went to church, it was full of people who only went to make themselves look and feel important, everyone who volunteered for things did it to be recognized and rewarded.

I've never tried to force Christianity on someone, neither have i judged them for what they believe in. Praying for people so that they might consider Christianity is perfectly fine.. because you want the best for those you care about, I have alot of atheists in my extended family. But I still wouldn't want to pressure people into it, at the end of the day it is free will.

People volunteering for things just to make themselves recognized and rewarded isn't really right, given that volunteering for charity work is about self sacrifice and helping others.. not personal gain.

(these are my opinions, so feel free to ignore them:) )

BtoFu
08-02-08, 17:50

Yeah see ya in hell, buddy el oh el. :wve:

tweetygwee
08-02-08, 18:23
Yeah see ya in hell, buddy el oh el. :wve:

Wouldn't you have to be there too to "see him in hell"? :p

Well, IMO personal faith is great, but when people catergorize themselves in religions they can use it to get their own way and discriminate. You can't say a particular religion is bad, unfortunately a religion's name can be used for bad things.

BtoFu
08-02-08, 18:43
Yeah I'll be there too, I'm no Angel! :jmp: