PDA

View Full Version : Modified food

Apofiss
09-02-08, 11:01
So, what's your opinion on this? Love it, eat it, don't eat it or don't care?

Just to summarize all not so positive sides of GMO (genetically modified organisms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organisms)), shortly it alters your body/genes/etc as in causes cell mutations (cancer, all kinds of deviances for your possible children and many more not to mention...).

btw, the cheeseballs I was just eating has E1450 (modified starch)... cool, bon apetit :/

rowanlim
09-02-08, 11:19
Hm for now, I don't care.

My knowledge of GMF is that the source of the food, may it be plant or animal, has its genes altered. I have yet to hear of terrible side-effects from eating GMF. I'll discuss the pros of GMF in an IDEAL situation, meaning what we can expect from GMF:

allergic people eat food that they couldn't eat before
Allergens in the food is the stuff that makes people allergic to a certain kind of food. Altering the genetic make-up would reduce/stop the production of these allergens & the food is safe to eat.

increase production of the good stuff
Changing the genes means changing the "instruction" to be carried out by the plant/animal cell. So the cells that are responsible for producing the products that we want, like grain or milk, can be "instructed" to produce more of the good stuff.

increase productivities of crops
Similarly, the breeding period/maturity period can be shortened & in 1 year, harvesting seasons may double.

increase the longevity of crops/animals
Similarly, the immunity systems of the crops/animals can be modified to make them more resilient & less susceptible to disease etc.

If I'm wrong, please correct me! :)

ivannnnn
09-02-08, 11:33
Whatever! :whi:

Rexie
09-02-08, 11:35
What...?

danitiwa
09-02-08, 11:36
What? I've never even heard of all this before. :p

Yeah, that sounds sort of wrong... We can't control everything, when we try to something usually goes wrong. So I'll try and stay away from modified food, but how the heck do we know if it's modified or not? :confused:

Apofiss
09-02-08, 11:37
It's the positive side of it they show to public as when it's about monster business thing everything as always will be covered nicely. You wouldn't like to know the other side, normally nowhere unpublished facts. :D

Side-effects isn't something that takes few days/weeks to arise, it takes years thus to not to care about it is just normal.

but how the heck do we know if it's modified or not?

Check the stickers/labels on the food (if Im not mistaken EU has some laws on how MF must be marked)

For example:

While unpacking groceries, you pull out the bag of apples and decide to eat one then and there. You take it over to the sink, wash it off and -- with some effort -- peel off the little sticker. Pausing to look more closely at the sticker you wonder, "What do those numbers mean?"

As much as we may dislike them, the stickers or labels attached to fruit do more than speed up the scanning process at the checkout stand. The PLU code, or price lookup number printed on the sticker, tells you how the fruit was grown

Here's how it works:

For conventionally grown fruit, (grown with chemicals inputs), the PLU code on the sticker consists of four numbers. Organically grown fruit has a five-numeral PLU prefaced by the number 9. Genetically engineered (GM) fruit has a five-numeral PLU prefaced by the number 8. For example;

A conventionally grown banana would be: 4011
An organic banana would be: 94011
A genetically engineered (GE or GMO) banana would be: 84011

VonCroy360
09-02-08, 11:43
I actually don't care if my food is natural or GMO.
As rowanlim already explained, there are many positive sides to GM food, and the negative ones have yet to be be proved. And, seriously, I think the scientists know what they're doing - genetic modification is a series of tests and long research, they're not just placing genes in food at random.

:)

ajrich17901
09-02-08, 12:06
Dont realy care i voted the first one

Cochrane
09-02-08, 12:11
I don't care. The food I eat is not healthy anyway, a few genes in there won't change that.

danitiwa
09-02-08, 12:14
Ok, the glowfish are still weird though. O.O

rowanlim
09-02-08, 12:26
It's the positive side of it they show to public as when it's about monster business thing everything as always will be covered nicely. You wouldn't like to know the other side, normally nowhere unpublished facts. :D

Side-effects isn't something that takes few days/weeks to arise, it takes years thus to not to care about it is just normal.

Hm let me ask you this: Is caffeine bad for health?

Do you know that within 1 year, I read articles that say "yes" & "no" countless times? One day they say it's good, the next day they say it's bad, then the next week it's good again...So it's really hard if you want to make a decision whether to stay on or stay off. IMO, other things can kill you, better relax & live life to the fullest ;)

Plus I don't think the scientists would keep mum if they discovered negative side effects to GMF. GMF has been widely discussed on ethical grounds, it's unlikely that they would hush if they discovered a nasty side effect :)

I think GMF, especially crops, are good because they wouldn't need to use pesticides to prevent disease or growth hormones to encourage productivity :p

Drone
09-02-08, 12:35
I DO NOT try to avoid modified food I DO avoid it

Andariel
09-02-08, 12:53
I would never eat it. Iíve been a vegan for many years, for health reasons, so I donít eat animals or anything processed.

EgyptianSoul
09-02-08, 13:08
Whatever. Genetically manipulated food has a reason for existing. For us to be able to make more food so more and more people even in poor countries wouldn't have to die of starvation.

Cochrane
09-02-08, 13:40
Whatever. Genetically manipulated food has a reason for existing. For us to be able to make more food so more and more people even in poor countries wouldn't have to die of starvation.

For that, we could just distribute the world's food better (Europe's overproduction is legendary, and the US are not exactly starving either), or actually use the areas the really poor countries have efficiently. Genetic manipulation helps, but it's not highly necessary and certainly not, if it's the only thing used, the solution.

thecentaur
09-02-08, 13:56
very interesting poll :tmb:

anyway i do not want modified food because i'd rather have stuff "eau natural" [which doesn't mean raw :p ]

Veronica Ma
09-02-08, 13:57
So, what's your opinion on this? Love it, eat it, don't eat it or don't care?

Just to summarize all not so positive sides of GMO (genetically modified organisms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organisms)), shortly it alters your body/genes/etc as in causes cell mutations (cancer, all kinds of deviances for your possible children and many more not to mention...).

btw, the cheeseballs I was just eating has E1450 (modified starch)... cool, bon apetit :/Eww.... I didn't know this! I never looked out for it much. But then again, I never eat much more than lettuce and cheese, so I'm guessing i don't have to?

Apofiss
09-02-08, 14:26
Hm let me ask you this: Is caffeine bad for health?

Do you know that within 1 year, I read articles that say "yes" & "no" countless times? One day they say it's good, the next day they say it's bad, then the next week it's good again...So it's really hard if you want to make a decision whether to stay on or stay off. IMO, other things can kill you, better relax & live life to the fullest ;)

Plus I don't think the scientists would keep mum if they discovered negative side effects to GMF. GMF has been widely discussed on ethical grounds, it's unlikely that they would hush if they discovered a nasty side effect :)

I think GMF, especially crops, are good because they wouldn't need to use pesticides to prevent disease or growth hormones to encourage productivity :p

First, you see, caffeine is a natural stimulant drug hence it has NOTHING to do with GMF, except when it comes to fooling general public... political correctness so to say.

Second, keeping the negative secrets in the dark is the most important part of the whole developmental industry, especially when it comes to mass food.

I shall agree on one thing you said; it's not worth going against it, indeed, but reducing a posibility is quite a sane action isn't it?

GMF has been widely discussed on ethical grounds, it's unlikely that they would hush if they discovered a nasty side effect

Look at US. No comments? Naivety.

Its only reason is to expand incomes. Need charts with coloured areas on how this works and where the all money flows? :D

Tomb Raider Master
09-02-08, 15:14
I try to avoid it, of course.

MiCkiZ88
09-02-08, 15:18
I try to avoid it.

tomblover
09-02-08, 15:26
What?

Dakaruch
09-02-08, 15:44
I try to avoid it, but not always sucessful...

Tihocan9
09-02-08, 15:44
I doubt many people have time to look up to see if everything they eat is modified or not so I picked whatever

raiderfun
09-02-08, 15:46
I try to avoid modified food ;)

kooky
09-02-08, 15:47
I try to avoid it. :wve:

ThomasCroft
09-02-08, 16:19
Couldn't give two ****s.

Lara's home
09-02-08, 16:20
What?

nick-xx
09-02-08, 20:31
I don't really care until something worst happen

rowanlim
09-02-08, 20:45
First, you see, caffeine is a natural stimulant drug hence it has NOTHING to do with GMF, except when it comes to fooling general public... political correctness so to say.
It was just an example that whatever "reports" on the side effects of ANYTHING is inconsistent & unreliable when studies aren't conducted on a huge scale.

Second, keeping the negative secrets in the dark is the most important part of the whole developmental industry, especially when it comes to mass food.
Not when everyone's watching the GMF wave. Plenty of money went into producing GMF. Oh my I'm contradicting myself :o

I shall agree on one thing you said; it's not worth going against it, indeed, but reducing a posibility is quite a sane action isn't it?
Hmm a good question would be how much would eating GMF improve our lives? Like compared to eating natural food? Then we can see if it's worth it to pursue the development of GMF. As far as I know, there are no potential health risks from consuming GMF.

Look at US. No comments? Naivety.
(>.<) Ouch. My bad, I sounded silly right? :p

ihatecold17
09-02-08, 20:54
oh god, we had to do a project about this in Biology for school. We had to make a brochure about if we think they should be labeled or not and it was to prepare us for a state test. In two weeks.

Anyway, im for them, and could care less if they were labeled or not.

Apofiss
09-02-08, 21:21
It was just an example that whatever "reports" on the side effects of ANYTHING is inconsistent & unreliable when studies aren't conducted on a huge scale.

Not the best example as you can have side-effects even from a clean water if not used properly, plus we are talking about synthetical protein; its strusture is different from natural protein which leads to aftereffect.

Studies aren't conducted and never will be cos it is damn profitable, is that is so hard to understand? Same case with AIDS anti-virus/etc; just to remind extremely expensive AIDS curing/rehab process for a single person. I presume by now you got the point how things are running? ;]

Not when everyone's watching the GMF wave. Plenty of money went into producing GMF. Oh my I'm contradicting myself :o

5 points to Grifindor? :D

Hmm a good question would be how much would eating GMF improve our lives? Like compared to eating natural food? Then we can see if it's worth it to pursue the development of GMF. As far as I know, there are no potential health risks from consuming GMF.

(>.<) Ouch. My bad, I sounded silly right? :p

Improve our lives? Yeah, eat loads of GMF then years later go to rehab and pay for expensive drugs to keep you alive; wait, did I mentioned a good business? :D

The point is, we can't change things the way they are, but you can more/less adapt by knowing what's good for you in case you care for your health.

Ok my urge for explanations is gone, back to my lovely E1450, yum :-D

touchthesky
09-02-08, 21:23
As long as it tastes nice...

rowanlim
09-02-08, 21:34
Apofiss, I'm not opposing what you say. Just want a clearer picture! Honestly! :)

Not the best example as you can have side-effects even from a clean water if not used properly, plus we are talking about synthetical protein; its strusture is different from natural protein which leads to aftereffect.
If I'm not mistaken, what happens in GMF? You change the gene configuration. You change the INSTRUCTION of the protein. Protein produces different signal. Different signal = different enzyme = different response. Different response could be shorter harvesting time, more fruits, etc.

Studies aren't conducted and never will be cos it is damn profitable, is that is so hard to understand? Same case with AIDS anti-virus/etc; just to remind extremely expensive AIDS curing/rehab process for a single person. I presume by now you got the point how things are running? ;]
Yes ma'am :D

Improve our lives? Yeah, eat loads of GMF then years later go to rehab and pay for expensive drugs to keep you alive; wait, did I mentioned a good business? :D
I meant first we should evaluate: compare eating GMF to natural food. How much of a difference does eating GMF make? How much of an impact? If it's NOT MUCH DIFFERENT, should we pursue the study on GMF any further? :)

I like this thread :p

ben croft
09-02-08, 21:36
What is modified food??

coolezpunk
09-02-08, 21:52
Whatever it is, I don't care, as long as it tastes good. :p :D

Apofiss
09-02-08, 22:03
Apofiss, I'm not opposing what you say. Just want a clearer picture! Honestly! :)

If I'm not mistaken, what happens in GMF? You change the gene configuration. You change the INSTRUCTION of the protein. Protein produces different signal. Different signal = different enzyme = different response. Different response could be shorter harvesting time, more fruits, etc.

Me know you not opposing. Shortly, "DNA molecules from different sources are combined into one molecule to create a new gene" - for example; take a little bit from fish, a little bit from pig and mix it with rye and we have super-rye. :D The problem is, while our organism is trying to distribute SP, it finds out that SP has a different structure - follows error aka mutation/info being held in DNA which exposes in the next generations while current gens are being poisoned with preservatives. Not going in details as Im not some gene engineer. (there were experiments with rats. next gen rats were gimpy -unpublished material I presume)

As I said it all isn't important while you know few things to avaid more/less. *is tired*

kryptonite23
10-02-08, 03:28
I will try to avoid it ;)