PDA

View Full Version : Troy. I did not love it.

andromeda_eats
20-05-04, 00:49
Maybe because Im an ancient history student and I think the story was beautiful enough with out the dodgy adaptations they did. Homer would be rolling in his grave. The Illiad clearly wasnt hollywood enough for them, and I am ashamed of this movie. Plus Orlando's acting was terrible.
Best two characters who saved the movie was Ageammon's actor whoever he was, was brillant. Top-notch. And of course Peter O'Toole who played the King of Troy I forget his name.

Troy had the worst score I have ever heard in my entire life. Terrible. They clearly didnt spend any money on graphics and not a dollar on researching the real story.

Another gem that saved me from walking out in disgust: Rose Bryne who played Achilles' mistress. Of course she is an Aussie which I am partially biased to, but she was brillant, as usual.

Best part of the movie? When the whole audience goes "Ohhhhhhh, I get it..." when Achilles is shot in the heel. Hahahaha some people are so stupid. :rolleyes:

Over all, I will make the call: second worst movie of the year, coming second only just to Van Helsing. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forums/icons/icon13.gif

ELEN
20-05-04, 05:27
The main story of Troy is indeed the war, an only that. Greece wanted to fight Troy and Helen was just an excuse. This is what Homer gave us in his beautiful Iliad and the American producers covered only this part of the story. But once again, they changed facts. Agamemnon did NOT die in Troy, for God sake.

Melonie Tomb Raider
20-05-04, 05:31
I haven't seen Troy; however, I second your Van Helsing statement. My family and I went to watch that movie last Sunday and Iwas EXTREMELY disapointed! I had such high hopes, that movie had so much potential. The beginning was promising in my oppinion, but after a little while everything seemed like a bunch of boring rubbish. For instance, when VH was shooting at the vampires. He dropped that crossbow way too many times it was so annoying seeing him pick it up over and over. And the enemies in this movie were lame, all they did was talk and not kill you. Like the old batman tv sseries, it was THAT corny! Van Helsing vocussed too much on special effects and boobs and the story and acting lacked a lot. Don't get me wrong, I aboslutely LOVE special effects and any realistic graphics, but that was their second main focus. ( Their main focus was trying to get as many boobs showing as possible hwile still getting a PG13 rating). Kate is my favorite actress, so I am very biased with her; however, I admit she did a bad job on this movie. She shouldn't have stooped that low to make this movie in the first place, she did AMAZING on Underwold and she carried herself a lot better, she wasn't acting trashy. She acted a little too trashy on VH though I think, I was extremely disapointed with that. It seems like everytime it showed her all she was doing was posing the hwole time. They would have just showed snapshots of her instead for crying out loud. And her accent was absolutely horrindous! She really did a bad job with that. I hate putting her down like this since she is my favorite actress, but I was so disapointed in her. Any way, I noticed another flaw. When VH saw Frankenstein's footprints he said somehitng like " Hmm.. He's 9 feet tall and is 250 pounds." that was a huge error because he was not even close to 9 feet tall ( Unless VH and Kate are 7 foot tall) and if he was, if he weighed 250 pounds, he would be SOOO skinny! I htink they should have put some thought into those numbers lol. Oh, and it was so lame how Frankensteign couldn't break that tiny chain on his leg. Frank is supposed to be super strong, but this Frank wasn't lol. Any way to finish this story, like 5 minutes before the movie was over, the film broke so we couldn't finish the movie hahaha! Tha twas a first for us. Every one else that watched it agreed with us that the breaking of the film was the best part of the whole movie lol! Any way, they gave us free tickets to any movie of our choice, so we will be watching Shrek 2 sometime this week. :D I can't wait!

qwerasdfzxcv
20-05-04, 08:15
Hmmm, I've read a few bad newspaper reviews of Troy.

I'll still probably go and see it though, because I like that sort of thing.

Andromeda, surely you know what Hollywood is like by now? History is altered to suit thier needs.
Hollywood and history:

U571 - The Americans intercepted and captured the German Enigma machine...er, no, actually that was the British.

Gladiator - Aurelius was murdered by his own son in Germania...er, no. He died a very old man in Rome.

Pearl Harbor - A black man freely intermingles with whites on board a US navy ship...despite the racist US miltary being completely segregrated until the 1960's.

Braveheart - Gibson proudly paints his face with the white and blue colours of the Scottish flag...a hundred or so years before the flag existed.

You get the picture... You have to take these films with a pinch of salt and not forget that they're just entertainment.

Of course, the real danger is that people believe these films to be factual...

Catlantean
20-05-04, 08:38
I was disappointed with this movie, too. They made it too soap-opera-ish: Agamemnon so damned evil just for evil's sake, the love story between Achilles and whatever her name was, it was all unnecessary. The original Illiad is a fine story as it is, so they should have followed it. And I really didn't get the impression that the war lasted 10 years in the movie, as it was supposed to.

And if my memory serves me, Achilles was killed before the whole Trojan horse business.

[ 20. May 2004, 09:41: Message edited by: Catlantean ]

Draco
20-05-04, 11:23
Coulda have sworn Agamemnon was killed by Odysseus in Ithaca after he made it back from Poseidon's wrath induced journey...

Simulation
20-05-04, 11:42
I went and saw the film on Sunday, but had to leave just as the fleet set sail. I unfortuneatly became ill at that point http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/yuck.gif . I don't think the movie was the cause, but I could be wrong. As much to say, I wasn't bothered that I had missed most of the film, going by what I had seen up to this point.
The acting was pretty poor up to that point. Orlando looked like he would have trouble lifting a sword, let alone using one.

ELEN
20-05-04, 12:06
Originally posted by Draco:
Coulda have sworn Agamemnon was killed by Odysseus in Ithaca after he made it back from Poseidon's wrath induced journey...No. Agamemnon was murdered by Clytemnestra and Aegisthus when he (Ag.) came back to Greece from Troy. Odysseus is from the other Homer's epic, Odyssey http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Neteru
20-05-04, 13:09
Oh Clytemnestra! She was the mother of Electra (after whom the complex is named).

Soma Holiday
21-05-04, 17:49
I don't think Troy looks that good.

I heard a woman say that the girl Helen is the ugiest one in the movie becasue of all the "pretty" guys. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Hey Melonie, I noticed the things in van helsing too. Like the first scene with the vampires that never ended. It was very dissapointing, but it was good in a way, so I liked it pretty well. I didn't have high hopes anyway, but since you did it must have been a real dissapointment, I know how much you like Kate Beckinsale.

Let's hope underworld 2 will cheer you up. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

ianneganda
22-05-04, 06:33
Originally posted by Soma Holiday:

I heard a woman say that the girl Helen is the ugiest one in the movie becasue of all the "pretty" guys. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif lol! i agree she's not so beautiful to be the cause of war :D

Catlantean
22-05-04, 11:17
Did you notice that Helen had like ten times more make-up on her face than any other woman? :confused:

Thorn
22-05-04, 12:50
Oh yea! I sure noticed that... :rolleyes: :cool:

boazboy
23-05-04, 16:22
Best two characters who saved the movie was Ageammon's actor whoever he was, was brillant. Top-notch.That should be Sean Bean. Wonderful actor. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif
I heard a woman say that the girl Helen is the ugiest one in the movie becasue of all the "pretty" guys.Another historical (or, rather, mythological) inaccuracy. According to both Iliad & Odyssey, Helen had to be about 60 years old at the time of the Trojan War! :rolleyes:

BB http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

Catlantean
23-05-04, 18:24
I don't think Helen's age is ever mentioned in the Illiad, and in the Odyssey she doesn't matter at all. My personal guess is that she was twenty-something at the beginning and thirty-something at the end of the war ten years later.

But it doesn't matter really, if I remember correctly she was a daughter of Zeus and thus immune to aging (and she was hatched from an egg, too...how's that for weird? :confused: ). Anyway, what happened to her after the war? Did she escape, was she killed, or did she simply cease to be important halfway through the epic?

nikos
23-05-04, 19:08
illiad and odysseia covers more than 30 years history!
a lot of things are mythological others are historical!
so do not expect from hollywwod producers to respect a theme like troy,while they never respect 100% historical themes!
they try to find something to refresh their repertoire and now they find greek history and mythology!
i am not surprising for the killing of agamemnon in troy,if you see the other film[or for tv series i am not sure]HELEN OF TROY,OH MY GOD,THIS IS A KILLING OF HISTORY!i turn my tv off!
HOLLYWOOD PRODUCERS ALWAYS WANT TO CHANGE EVERYTHING TO THEIR OWN STYLE, BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SATISFY A SPECIFIC AUDIONS!A PATHETIC AUDIONS WHO ACCEPT EVERYTHING WOLLYWOOD GIVES TO THEM!

TombRaiderfreaky
23-05-04, 20:47
I actually thought the girl who played Helen of Troy was good looking. Not amazing, but she's good enough IMO. And she had the most beautiful eyes!

But in regards to Troy, i enjoyed it. I thought it was great, and since I barely knew the story of Troy, it had me in suspense the whole time. I'll probably read the Illiad now. I don't know why it Troy getting much love over here on the forums. But to each his own, I suppose... http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Soma Holiday
23-05-04, 23:00
I change my mind. I just saw it, and it was great.

But it ruined the Odyssey for me. I always thought that the Trogans were the bad guys, but they weren't. I liked the Trogans, and watching it was sad. I had a real connection with Hector's character. He was so cool.

Anyway the movie was great, even though the story isn't that great.