PDA

View Full Version : Open TRLE Chat - Basic Questions, Inquiries, & Help Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Titak
15-02-11, 16:33
^
Because Titia is my real first name. :D

Caesum
15-02-11, 17:27
Awww, now I understand. :D Thanks for help, Titia, now everything works correct. :hug:

Titak
15-02-11, 17:30
Good for you! :tmb:

tomb2player
15-02-11, 19:12
How to change name's of keys/puzzles? In my level almost all keys has name " load " , one kay has " token " :o ...

TheLostValley
16-02-11, 11:28
Hi people!

I want to use a skeleton, killable with any weapon not only the exploding ones.

I found this topic discussed in the NGLE section, but it didn't help me much since I use TRLE and TREP. I also checked skribblerz site.

I tried the simple way of changing enemy HP state, but of course it was not enough to make it work.

If I understood it correct the skeleton model lacks a dying by shooting animation? (I might be wrong:p)

Is it possible to take a enemy from the baddy or sas slots and simply replace the meshes/animations with the skeleton's? Not too familiar with how to do that yet.

Or is there another way. I just can't seem to find the proper information or maybe I'm completely blind to it.

Thx in advance. :hug:

Caesum
16-02-11, 11:51
If you're using NGLE, it is very simple to make skeleton killable, but still working as he should.
Customize= CUST_ADD_DEATH_ANIMATION, skeleton, 49
Enemy= skeleton, 250, NEF_HIT_BLOOD + NEF_SET_AS_MORTAL, IGNORE, IGNORE
Remember that 250 is HP and 49 is death animation. :) And you must make death command at the end of your death animation, you can do this in Animation Editor in WadMerger, just look for the option with 0101 icon. :)

TheLostValley
16-02-11, 11:54
If you're using NGLE, it is very simple to make skeleton killable, but still working as he should.
Customize= CUST_ADD_DEATH_ANIMATION, skeleton, 49
Enemy= skeleton, 250, NEF_HIT_BLOOD + NEF_SET_AS_MORTAL, IGNORE, IGNORE
Remember that 250 is HP and 49 is death animation. :) And you must make death command at the end of your death animation, you can do this in Animation Editor in WadMerger, just look for the option with 0101 icon. :)

Great. But how do I edit the script for the skeleton when I use TRLE?

Thx

Caesum
16-02-11, 11:57
Oh, if you're using TRLE then I have no idea, sorry. :o Maybe TREP would be helpful?

TheLostValley
16-02-11, 13:22
Oh, if you're using TRLE then I have no idea, sorry. :o Maybe TREP would be helpful?

Nope. TREP wont do the job by itself it seems. What I basically want anyway is a TR2 like thug with a baton.

If I could figure it out how to change the meshes and or necessary animations on a existing model plus adding the right skeleton boneish sounds I'd be good. I think I have an idea how to export the skeleton meshes and replace them on a tr2 thug in wadmerger, I'm not that comfortable with wadmerger though. Gotta learn someday.

Well better get on with it. Practice makes perfect, eyh?! :D

Thx anyway

mudkip25
16-02-11, 13:42
If you're using NGLE

First of all, that code is for the engine, TRNG. NGLE is just the room editor itself and a certain version of NGLE is compatible with TREP. TRNG is not compatible at all but is the TREP equivalent as it modifies levels but through scripts instead of buttons. :)

If he/she tried a script with just NGLE (with or without TREP) then it would not work but if he/she has TRNG instead, then that would have worked. :)

Sorry, just wanted to correct you. :)

TheLostValley
16-02-11, 13:54
First of all, that code is for the engine, TRNG. NGLE is just the room editor itself and a certain version of NGLE is compatible with TREP. TRNG is not compatible at all but is the TREP equivalent as it modifies levels but through scripts instead of buttons. :)

If he/she tried a script with just NGLE (with or without TREP) then it would not work but if he/she has TRNG instead, then that would have worked. :)

Thank you :D

well I use TRLE and TREP none of the next gen editors/engines/patchers (these name shortenings can be quite confusing :))

However I decided to use a ordinary baddy with a baton and somehow change the meshes into the skeleton ones. I hope it wont be a too messy way of doing it, but i'll see how it goes.

btw if you refer to me he/she I can tell I'm a just a regular guy :D

Cheers!

mudkip25
16-02-11, 14:27
Okay then! :D

But if your tired of 64x64 textures, you can switch to the TREP compatible NGLE any time and easily convert your level so you can use even more detailed 128x128 ones. You can also do 256x256 textures too but that takes a lot of space than its worth. :p

TheLostValley
16-02-11, 14:35
Okay then! :D

But if your tired of 64x64 textures, you can switch to the TREP compatible NGLE any time and easily convert your level so you can use even more detailed 128x128 ones. You can also do 256x256 textures too but that takes a lot of space than its worth. :p

Hmm..okay.

Sounds tempting. I might do that. Just a thought, is it too big of a hassle to convert rooms made in TRLE (only the geometry no objects/lightning/textures/triggers) to NGLE?

Thx

Caesum
16-02-11, 15:13
My mistake, I meant TRNG of course. :D

mudkip25
16-02-11, 15:20
Hmm..okay.

Sounds tempting. I might do that. Just a thought, is it too big of a hassle to convert rooms made in TRLE (only the geometry no objects/lightning/textures/triggers) to NGLE?

Thx

No, the only thing that you would need to convert is from v45 (64x64) to a v50 project and all you need is a little converter tool (Comes with NGLE I think) :)

TheLostValley
16-02-11, 15:41
@Caesum and mudkip25 thx for your advice

So far I managed to mess up my wads and crash wadmerger :o :D guess I'm messing with forces I'm not up to the challenge...yet :)

Anyhow after some testing I believe I'll use the skeleton enemies in their original form and provide a shotgun and enough ammo and pitfalls to drop 'em down in.

I probably will change to NGLE at some point, but I feel that I want to at least complete one playable level with the original LE.

Cheers!

Titak
16-02-11, 16:59
What I basically want anyway is a TR2 like thug with a baton.How about putting that thug in the HORSEMAN slot? That is basically a thug with with a stick already.

And aren't there any thugs with stick available already?
I've seen them in custom levels. :D

TheLostValley
16-02-11, 17:07
How about putting that thug in the HORSEMAN slot? That is basically a thug with with a stick already.

And aren't there any thugs with stick available already?
I've seen them in custom levels. :D

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I meant I would be satisfied with a model behaving like a baton equipped thug looking like the skeleton.

But like I stated before I thought it to be too much fuss at this point so I'm completely satisfied to use the normal skellie :D

To be honest I have no idea why I wanted to change the behaviour of the skellie in the first place now that I reminded myself of how to fight them. Shooting them with the shotgun down pits and/or shooting off the head and have them run around like...eh...headless skeletons :D Sorry to have wasted forum space :o

!Lara Croft!
18-02-11, 01:19
Anyone got this outfit?

http://www.trsearch.org/Items/2258

The link is only for the Anniversary Re-new rather than this actual outfit.

EDIT: Forget it, forum effect kicked in. Found it in a custom levelset, though its strange how the link downloads the new one rather than the one advertised...

leglion
19-02-11, 01:02
Is the LE really the only way to model a level? :\ The process is quite slow(at least for me).

mudkip25
19-02-11, 01:21
No... There is the unofficial editor.

And the process isn't slow once you get used to it. As long as your not desperately clicking to make a really deep pit and its takes you a long time just because you want to get from ground level (0) to the bottom limit like I used to do. :p

leglion
19-02-11, 01:25
No... There is the unofficial editor.

And the process isn't slow once you get used to it. As long as your not desperately clicking to make a really deep pit and its takes you a long time just because you want to get from ground level (0) to the bottom limit like I used to do. :p

Can you import a level from meta to trle?

mudkip25
19-02-11, 01:31
Yes-ish. :S
There are two ways to do this.

1. You build an object in Meta (below the limit that the editor allows one object to have) and import it into the editor with "fake" collision like invisible dummy objects that have collision on them or invisible editor blocks. Titak, Piega and GeckoKid used these in their games. :D

2. There is a program called Meta2TR. The thread for it was brought up earlier so look for it. :)
Btw, I would not use it if you are not very skilled in the "Editing Arts" as I call it.
Here is the website:
http://meta2tr.netii.net/

leglion
19-02-11, 01:33
Yes-ish. :S
There are two ways to do this.

1. You build an object in Meta (below the limit that the editor allows one object to have) and import it into the editor with "fake" collision like invisible dummy objects that have collision on them or invisible editor blocks. Titak, Piega and GeckoKid used these in their games. :D

2. There is a program called Meta2TR. The thread for it was brought up earlier so look for it. :)
Btw, I would not use it if you are not very skilled in the "Editing Arts" as I call it.
Here is the website:
http://meta2tr.netii.net/

Aren't you might little bundle of help sent down from the heavens. :hug: Thanks! :p

mudkip25
19-02-11, 01:37
No problem! :)

edit: Uhhh... yeah now I kinda have a tax of $50 in American Munnies for every question answered so gimme meh munnies now. :pi: :p

klona
19-02-11, 08:45
Hello,
Am i able to send Lara from the level 'City of the Dead' to 'Catacombs' by a finish trigger? :confused:

Titak
19-02-11, 09:59
^
Yes, put the number of the Catacombs level in the finishtrigger you place in City of the Dead.

klona
20-02-11, 15:14
Where do i put the number? :whi:

AgentXP
20-02-11, 15:46
How does one extract sound effects from TRL or TRU? :)

FloTheMachine
20-02-11, 15:48
Sound Jack I think.
Or record them yourself..?

RoxasKennedy
20-02-11, 17:04
I was wondering about one thing:
Can you make enemies like wolfs, bears, etc... not attack Lara for a minute or so when she walks calmly? I've noticed that kind of thing in Resident Evil mainly, and sometimes in TR, but I dunno :S

AgentXP
20-02-11, 18:15
Sound Jack I think.
Or record them yourself..?

Sound Jack? :confused: Never heard of that, :o is it a tool on TRSearch?

I'd simply like to be able to extract Lara's foot and holster sounds from TRL and TRU, as I have PC versions. Equally, if anyone else has the sounds that would be great. :)

Titak
20-02-11, 18:15
Might be possible with TRNG, like conditions that Lara is walking is TRUE, then enemie won't play attack animation. Or something like that.
Maybe TREP can pull this off also?
Just the TRLE can't.

Yuni
23-02-11, 15:40
Is there any limits of the HAIR object?
I`m going to play with it :)

mudkip25
23-02-11, 23:39
I think the connection holes for the hair can only be a quadrilateral shape and you get a limited number of meshes for it. :)

Titak
24-02-11, 09:35
^
Correct.
And the vertices have to be correctly remapped: remapped like in the original TR4 HAIR object.

Phlip
24-02-11, 20:30
Just a few curious questions:

Why are the Tenderfoot and BETA testing forums password protected, and what does tenderfoot mean?

l.m.
24-02-11, 20:38
i think it is the test area for new custom level...
:o

Soul
24-02-11, 20:48
The tenderfoot section is a showcase for builders who didn't release a level yet and want to get some constructive critics in a small and quiet forum.

Titak
24-02-11, 20:59
Correct.

And the BETA testing forum is password protected for an obvious reason: so that not just everybody on here can get his/her hands on the beta version of a level(set). Because then the whole point of betatesting would be gone.

Yuni
24-02-11, 21:18
^
Correct.
And the vertices have to be correctly remapped: remapped like in the original TR4 HAIR object.
So the first mesh of the braid must have a end with 4 points.
Can I build the mesh with that way?(the red points is vertice)
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7571/beztytuujhs.jpg

Titak
24-02-11, 21:57
I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at here.
It that one of the ponytail meshes?
If so then it won't work because, as stated before by mudkip25, each end of a hairmesh can only have 4 vertices, just like in the original hairmesh.

Btw, that number of vertices (I'm counting 15) is too much for any hole of any mesh where a joint is supposed to connect to.
The maximum number of vertices per hole is 11. Any more than that and the joints won't connect properly, even when remapped.

mudkip25
24-02-11, 23:07
Actually, it looks like there is a sphere and the actual hairmesh inside it. I'm guessing the the hairmesh is connected and textured invisible while the spheres are textured but are not actually connected but still part of the mesh.

Titak
24-02-11, 23:17
You could be right. Like Lara's FMV braid which is also made up of spheres.
But whatever it is, I really doubt it will work right.

Uzi master
24-02-11, 23:19
I think he may be asking if you can have more vertixes in-between the ends, like a sphere but with the bottom and top cut out and made to have a square hole.

sapper
25-02-11, 05:02
So the first mesh of the braid must have a end with 4 points.
Can I build the mesh with that way?(the red points is vertice)
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7571/beztytuujhs.jpg

Check trsearch for outfits by Trinity (Shauni) , Horus-Goddess and Mr Nice Guy.

I think those builders all successfully changed the HAIR object.

You can change the second, fourth and last meshes of the hair object.

The first, third and fifth meshes are joint meshes and must not contain any more vertices than the original meshes.
The first mesh is the one that attaches to Lara's head.

The joint meshes will connect to only four vertices of the other meshes and these vertices on the other meshes will be the ones that have the same indices as the end parts of the original meshes. So this is why you need remap the meshes you change.

Yuni
25-02-11, 13:54
Actually, it looks like there is a sphere and the actual hairmesh inside it. I'm guessing the the hairmesh is connected and textured invisible while the spheres are textured but are not actually connected but still part of the mesh.
You`re right.
Whatever...
It`ll look strange when the second mesh will be different but the first will be a normal mesh,so I better don`t exept too mutch.

Locke217
25-02-11, 15:00
I have a dilemma. :whi: I was wondering if there was a way to force certain objects to ignore sun bulb lighting. The only ones I have in mind are raising blocks 1 and 2 and a pushable object.

Usually it's good to have lighting on such objects, but in for my purposes it would be better if they ONLY matched the darkish grey light around them. They are in a different chamber, but the same editor room as the sun bulb. I know the problem could be solved by splitting the room, but that really isn't an option in this case...

I tried putting another sunbulb in the chamber with the objects with opposite properties to the first sunbulb, hoping to perhaps cancel out it's effects... but I was unsuccessful. Any ideas? Is there a way to make objects ignore sun light without being COMPLETELY neutral?

AgentXP
26-02-11, 01:11
How does one make a static object into a shatter object? :confused:

sapper
26-02-11, 01:23
Wadmerger.

Rename the static slot to a shatter slot or Hold shift and copy the static from wad to wad.

Holding shift let's you choose what slot to copy to.

AgentXP
26-02-11, 01:29
I've already tried copying the static into a shatter slot using WADmerger, but it dosen't shatter ingame. :confused:

sapper
26-02-11, 01:47
Then try StrPix.

Export the static mesh to DXF and then import it over an existing shatter item and correct the collision and visibility boxes.

The static and shatter must be in the same wad.

I think there is a tutorial at skribblerz by bedazzled that does it this way.

AgentXP
26-02-11, 01:58
^ I've already tried that too, and it still doesn't work. Must be missing something :confused:

EDIT: Also, how can one trigger an object\event by shooting a shatter object? :)

mudkip25
26-02-11, 02:24
^Heavy Trigger :)

sapper
26-02-11, 05:58
^ I've already tried that too, and it still doesn't work. Must be missing something :confused:

I've done some testing and it looks like shatter8 and shatter9 slots do not shatter.

DJ Full
26-02-11, 09:25
Hey! To modify uzis, I need to modify UZI_ANIM as well as UZI_ITEM, am I right?

Titak
26-02-11, 10:41
I've already tried copying the static into a shatter slot using WADmerger, but it dosen't shatter ingame. :confused:Does the object have collision?
Because if it does not have collision it won't shatter.
(unless you use explosive ammo I think...)

Hey! To modify uzis, I need to modify UZI_ANIM as well as UZI_ITEM, am I right?Correct.
UZI_ITEM is the pickup version of the uzi, the way it appears in Lara's inventory and the UZI_ANIM is Lara's hands holding the uzi's. :D

DJ Full
26-02-11, 11:28
Will do.

AgentXP
26-02-11, 12:24
Does the object have collision?
Because if it does not have collision it won't shatter.
(unless you use explosive ammo I think...)

That's interesting to know. :tmb:

I've done some testing and it looks like shatter8 and shatter9 slots do not shatter.

That was it, thank you! :hug: I had my shatter in slot 9. :rolleyes:

Also thanks to Mudkip for the heavy trigger info. :tmb: I can now set up my puzzle properly. :jmp:

EDIT: (Final) question, how do I set more than one shatter object to trigger an event? :confused:

Titak
26-02-11, 12:35
Maybe objects in those slots can only be shattered with explosive ammo?
Or have you tested that also, Sapper?

klona
26-02-11, 13:14
Can anyone explain the Level Jump procedure in a very very beginner-ishly clear way, from the first step till the last, please. :)
Without making Lara lose her things in the Inventory.

Titak
26-02-11, 14:17
I'm not going to repeat all the things I've already written via the PM conversation we've been having on this subject, but it just occurred to me...
Did you press Enter after typing the number of the level in the timer field of the finishtrigger? Because when typing in numbers you always have to press Enter for the number to stick and get saved.

Yuni
26-02-11, 14:45
I'm not going to repeat all the things I've already written via the PM conversation we've been having on this subject, but it just occurred to me...
Did you press Enter after typing the number of the level in the timer field of the finishtrigger? Because when typing in numbers you always have to press Enter for the number to stick and get saved.
You must be very busy to explain a lot of things but that make you are the TRLE goddess :hug:
Can anyone explain the Level Jump procedure in a very very beginner-ishly clear way, from the first step till the last, please. :)

Try to read the manual :D

AgentXP
26-02-11, 14:59
Maybe objects in those slots can only be shattered with explosive ammo?
Or have you tested that also, Sapper?

I tried that, and no they donít shatter even with explosive ammo, so theyíre effectively just extra static slots I guess :D

EDIT: (Final) question, how do I set more than one shatter object to trigger an event? :confused:

I still canít work out how to do this. :o

Titak
26-02-11, 15:43
You must be very busy to explain a lot of things but that make you are the TRLE goddess :hug:
I do indeed spned most of my time on this forum explaining things.
But that's what I like to do most, so I'm not complaining. :D

I tried that, and no they don’t shatter even with explosive ammo, so they’re effectively just extra static slots I guess :D
Weird. In all my years of levelbuilding I never noticed this... :vlol:
Good to know though. :D
So SHATTERs 8 and 9 won't shatter no matter what?

About your question:
Place heavytriggers for the event under each shater object.
Now, in the first heavytrigger only have codebit button 1 activated, in the second only have codebit 2 activated, in the third only have codebit 3 activated.
And so on.
This way you can have up to 5 shatters which will trigger the event when all five have been shattered.

When you only have three shatters you will have to press codebits 3, 4 and 5 in the third heavytrigger.
Well, it does not really matter how you split up the codebits, as long as all 5 codebits are set when you combine the triggers.
(A default trigger has all 5 codebits set by default)

klona
26-02-11, 16:06
Try to read the manual :D

I did, it's complicating, and not too beginner-ish :(

Yuni
26-02-11, 16:07
I did, it's complicating, and not too beginner-ish :(
Noone`ll explain something better than Titak,so follow what she pm to you :)

Locke217
26-02-11, 16:26
Anyone have a suggestion for my dilemma? I hate to sound like "ME ME ME" but it would be nice to have some feedback in case the post was missed.:o I know we're all asking questions.

klona
26-02-11, 18:17
Oh, i just knew why the level jump wasn't working, the outfits aren't changing.
(i know how to use WADMerger correctly, i changed Lara's outfits many times) the problem is why isn't it changing Lara's outfit? i click on Copy, and look at the wad i copied into, the outfit's still the same. :(
What's wrong?

Yuni
26-02-11, 18:25
Oh, i just knew why the level jump wasn't working, the outfits aren't changing.
(i know how to use WADMerger correctly, i changed Lara's outfits many times) the problem is why isn't it changing Lara's outfit? i click on Copy, and look at the wad i copied into, the outfit's still the same. :(
What's wrong?
Don`t know what you mean,but when you opened a complete wad in WadMerger on the right site you load a new outfit and copy all what was there.Then you looked at the LARA object?
The Lara object don`t change it`s meshes until you save it and load it again.
I think I help :)

Mytly
26-02-11, 20:07
I don't know about Shatter 8, but I think that Shatter 9 can be shattered only by enemies, not by Lara.

Perhaps this tutorial will help: http://www.skribblerz.com/leveljumps.htm

AODfan
26-02-11, 20:13
Lara can't changes her Outfit during a level change without losing all her keys etc. in the original LE.
You have to use the ResetHUB command.
In TRNG you can use "PreserveInventory" command to save your Inventory.

DJ Full
26-02-11, 23:51
Hey! I do some experiments on object transporting...

1. I copied a certain enemy from HARPY slot into a PUZZLE_ITEM1_COMBO1 one. So when Lara kills a HARPY, it drops PUZZLE_ITEM_COMBO1 and it looks like Lara can pick up a dead bird, heheheh... The problem is: it appears HUGE in the inventory - covering the whole screen (and even more space). I have a strange feeling it is way not like it should look like...

2. I replaced a LITTLE_BEETLE with another mesh, and when the bug swarm attacks (OCB 4128), it's blinking. It's not a missing frame, I think - because the imported mesh was an inventory item and it has no anims at all. What can it be?

3. Also, checked the way textures appear in Strpix after importing a mesh into it. Is there any way to add them without replacing the old ones?

matrix54
27-02-11, 00:01
I can solve 2.

Little beetles need 2 meshes to work properly. :)

DJ Full
27-02-11, 00:24
Never knew that. Aha, there they are.... BTW, why are two identical beetles needed in the same slot for them to work?

EDIT: Oh, I see now. They are not so identical after taking a closer look. Are they two frames of one anim, each frame being a separate mesh? Or two different anims, one followed by another over and over again?

matrix54
27-02-11, 01:09
the object was blinking because it didn't have another frame to go to. They alternate between the two. The can be the same... different... doesn't matter

sapper
27-02-11, 02:05
Weird. In all my years of levelbuilding I never noticed this... :vlol:
Good to know though. :D

Mytly is correct.

I used NG Center's Object Manager (Tools2 Tab) to find where Shatter8 and Shatter9 were used

Shatter9 is in Citadel and is shattered by Knights Templar. Shooting it with pistols has no effect.

Shatter8 is in the Street Bazaar objects but I don't think it is placed in the map anywhere so I have no idea which enemy was supposed to shatter it.
I tested Shatter8 with Knights Templar and they can shatter it.

I bet Fluen knows all this!

BTW you can copy a static into a shatter slot with wadmerger.
When you copy the static holding shift into a shatter slot it isn't given the shatter name so you then have to rename it.
If you want the shatter slot to be moved to the end of the list, build a shatter using the "Make Shatter" wizard. You can then delete the shatter you made with this wizard.

-Roli-
27-02-11, 09:20
Hey all,

I have a very lame question! :p
I set up one flyby camera serie, then i'm using fixed camera. When the flyby camera ended, then there is a little gap between the fixed camera and flyby: the one second standard (Lara's) camera. That is between these 2 cameras, and it ruins the joy of cameras (i think) :o

Is there any way to fix this issue?

Titak
27-02-11, 10:25
Hey! I do some experiments on object transporting...

1. I copied a certain enemy from HARPY slot into a PUZZLE_ITEM1_COMBO1 one. So when Lara kills a HARPY, it drops PUZZLE_ITEM_COMBO1 and it looks like Lara can pick up a dead bird, heheheh... The problem is: it appears HUGE in the inventory - covering the whole screen (and even more space). I have a strange feeling it is way not like it should look like...

2. I replaced a LITTLE_BEETLE with another mesh, and when the bug swarm attacks (OCB 4128), it's blinking. It's not a missing frame, I think - because the imported mesh was an inventory item and it has no anims at all. What can it be?

3. Also, checked the way textures appear in Strpix after importing a mesh into it. Is there any way to add them without replacing the old ones?
This can be adjusted in the script.
PuzzleCombo= 1, 1, Whatever, $0019,$0400,$0000,$2000,$1000,$0002
$0019 is the TopBorder value. When you change this you can make the object appear closer or further away from the top of the screen.
$0400 is the DistanceFromCam value. When you change this you can make the object appear bigger or smaller in the inventory.
Alos read the info on this script command in NG_Center.

Answered already.
The different meshes are used to make it look like the beetles legs are moving. :D

You can add completely new textures to a wad with WADMerger with the Add Texture button. Add the new textures that way, then open the wad in STRPix and apply the newly added textures to an object.
(when the textures do not get applied, they will be removed from the wad the next time the wad is saved with WADMerger or STrpix.)

Hey all,

I have a very lame question! :p
I set up one flyby camera serie, then i'm using fixed camera. When the flyby camera ended, then there is a little gap between the fixed camera and flyby: the one second standard (Lara's) camera. That is between these 2 cameras, and it ruins the joy of cameras (i think) :o

Is there any way to fix this issue?
Ah, yes... I've had that same problem too.
You are using TRNG, right?
I think I solved that problem once by using an Organizer. I had exported the triggers for the flyby and the fixed camera (use the ACTION triggers, otherwise they can't be exported) and placed them in two seperate TriggerGroups. These TG's were them activated by the Organizer.
Or, a more traditional method, would be to replace that fixed cam with another cam from the flyby sequence and then use the "jump to cam" feature. :D

DJ Full
27-02-11, 10:45
Excellent. I was simply worried the old textures I still need may get replaced by the new ones... So I was afraid of copying anything into the .wad. xDxD. BTW, I've just read the complete Animation Editor tutorial. It was an overnighter to store all this info, and my mind is washed...

...but I finally succeeded with these beetles... Now Lara is being chased by something different... But it's a surprise for ORC, so I won't tell what it is.

The more I read, the more problems appear...
Most of them in the last, 4th chapter - stateIDs and command animations. One of these issues is:

1. I added a 1-frame anim to LITTLE_BEETLE.
2. At this frame, I set an anim command to play the attack sound.
3. Just like I expected, nothing happened - it seems no animation can be assigned to LITTLE_BEETLE, at least with help of WadMerger, because the object has no "attachment point" for anims, even though it's a movable, and so - in theory - an animating.

If this can't be done by basing the sound on an anim, is there any other possibility to assign an attack sample to LITTLE_BEETLE?

DJ Full
27-02-11, 10:47
Excellent. I was simply worried the old textures I still need may get replaced by the new ones... So I was afraid of copying anything into the .wad. xDxD. BTW, I've just read the complete Animation Editor tutorial. It was an overnighter to store all this info, and my mind is washed...

...but I finally succeeded with these beetles... Now Lara is being chased by something different... But it's a surprise for ORC, so I won't tell what it is.

The more I read, the more problems appear...
Most of them in the last, 4th chapter - stateIDs and command animations. One of these issues is:

1. I added a 1-frame anim to LITTLE_BEETLE.
2. At this frame, I set an anim command to play the attack sound.
3. Just like I expected, nothing happened - it seems no animation can be assigned to LITTLE_BEETLE, at least with help of WadMerger, because the object has no "attachment point" for anims, even though it's a movable, and so - in theory - an animating.

If this can't be done by basing the sound on an anim, is there any other possibility to assign an attack sample to LITTLE_BEETLE?

(I thought about ripping "the knights of Ni!" sample from Monty Python)

EDIT: Oh, NO! I quoted myself again... There should be an option of forum interface customization, so I would make "Edit" button on the right, and "Quote" on the left... It seems I prefer it like that...

Titak
27-02-11, 10:58
I'm thinking it might be possible with TRNG, but I'm not sure how.
Something like "when little-beetle is active AND hurting Lara is TRUE, then play sound".

Other than that I kinda doubt it is possible, as, like you found out, the little-beetle does nto have an animation you can mess around with. :(

DJ Full
27-02-11, 11:37
I think the fact WadMerger does NOT crash AND does NOT work properly in the same time is the best proof such setup is impossible this way.

Actually, I am already using TRNG for this project. But meanwhile, I jump from program to program and try to stumble upon various ways of solving a single problem. Yesterday it happened it was Animation Editor, today it may be script triggers. If I find (or don't find) something, I will try to post it in TRNG section.

However, the router is dead in the place I am going back to. I have no other way of internet access there, so I will need to ask someone for permission if I want to post anything.

That's why I try to get as many answers as I can before I leave my home.
Searching through script triggers now...

AgentXP
27-02-11, 17:27
How can you make the chain\sliding pillar object cause damage to Lara? :confused: According to this tut: http://www.skribblerz.com/ocblibrary.htm you need an OBC of 0. Iíve tried both that and a setting of 1, and neither example damages Lara. :confused:

(Iím using the sliding pillar Ďchainí from temple of hours WAD1.)

Seth94
27-02-11, 17:35
How can you make the chain\sliding pillar object cause damage to Lara? :confused: According to this tut: http://www.skribblerz.com/ocblibrary.htm you need an OBC of 0. Iíve tried both that and a setting of 1, and neither example damages Lara. :confused:

(Iím using the sliding pillar Ďchainí from temple of hours WAD1.)

You need to type ocb 1 to cause damage to Lara. (If it's in the chain slot).

Soul
27-02-11, 18:16
Is it possible that you confuse the five switches in OCB-menu with the number you can write in the field below?

The number has to be typed into the field and "confirmed" with enter for it to work.
Also the tut seems to be wrong...OCB 1 will cause damage to Lara, just as Seth said.

AgentXP
27-02-11, 18:30
You need to type ocb 1 to cause damage to Lara. (If it's in the chain slot).

Is it possible that you confuse the five switches in OCB-menu with the number you can write in the field below?

The number has to be typed into the field and "confirmed" with enter for it to work.
Also the tut seems to be wrong...OCB 1 will cause damage to Lara, just as Seth said.

I already tried typing in Ď1í in the OBC text box area, and it doesnít work; the pillars just slide straight through Lara without harming her. They don't even touch her, they seem to have no collision and cause no damage at all. :confused:

Failing this, is there another Ďeasyí slot that I could put them in?

Soul
27-02-11, 18:36
Not sure if that's needed but try to click "enable collision" in wadmerger.

AgentXP
27-02-11, 18:41
Nope, still not working. :confused:

Seth94
27-02-11, 18:53
I just checked that object- it should be in the squishy block slot. ;) I don't know why it is in the chain slot. :confused:

AgentXP
27-02-11, 19:03
^ ‘Squishy block’ – lol. Core did think of some funny names for things. It works now thanks :tmb: :hug: (Lara is now suitably squished. :D)

mudkip25
27-02-11, 19:31
I don't know if this should be an NGLE specific question (because it may have some "no lag" feature that I've never heard about lol) so I'll post this here.

Is there any way to reduce lag in the room editor? :)
I have lots of objects in my room (for the one room challenge) and I'm having trouble lighting and adding/removing objects. I do use the "Hide Objects" button for texturing though but is there another way to reduce the lag besides that? :confused:

mudkip25
28-02-11, 13:49
Sorry for the double post but can I get an explanation about the Toggle Opacity button because it isn't working for me. :(
I've tried applying it to both sides of the floor, one side and I've tried using Toggle Opacity 2 but Lara still falls through it... :/

Can someone also answer my question above? :o

Mytly
28-02-11, 14:00
Toggle Opacity has to be applied to both sides if you want a door connection to be solid. But be careful with it - as the name implies, it 'toggles' between solid and non-solid, so if you click the button more than once by mistake, then it goes back to being non-solid.

mudkip25
28-02-11, 14:15
I've done that... Its very odd though... :(

klona
28-02-11, 15:53
The Level Jump is still a hard procedure to me, i can't do it. :(
It keeps crashing every time i hit the finish trigger, well it doesn't really crash; just a loading bar, and then the game closes and nothing then.
The Tutorials aren't really helping...

Titak
28-02-11, 17:33
^
Please be more specific in what you have done please.

Can you show us a screenshot of the trigger window?
Are all LARA related items the same in both levels?
If they are not the same then you have to use the RESTHUB= line in the script. If you are already using this line, please post your script and describe from which level Lara has to jump to the next level.
Does the level that Lara needs to jump to work when you select it straight from the main menu?
Whatever more details you could give us.

-Roli-
28-02-11, 17:46
Thank you Titia, somehow made it! :D :hug:

Titak
28-02-11, 18:01
^
You mean the camera issue you had a couple of pages back? :D

-Roli-
28-02-11, 18:02
^
You mean the camera issue you had a couple of pages back? :D

Yes! :D :hug:

Titak
28-02-11, 18:04
Good for you! :tmb:

!Lara Croft!
01-03-11, 01:46
Ive extraced a whole bunch of SFX files from AOD, but they arent in the right format for the LE.

Whats a good program to use for this.

(And dont say windows sound recorder, im on vista, it doesnt have any features other than recording 30 seconds anymore...)

TheLostValley
01-03-11, 08:57
Ive extraced a whole bunch of SFX files from AOD, but they arent in the right format for the LE.

Whats a good program to use for this.

(And dont say windows sound recorder, im on vista, it doesnt have any features other than recording 30 seconds anymore...)

http://www.free-audio-editor.com/

This one is quite easy to use and allows you to save and resample your sound files to proper format (PCM 22kHz).

Cheers! :D

DJ Full
01-03-11, 10:41
Hey, people... As I said, I had to change PCs for a while... Bad time for doing so, it appears. After copying all project files and wads from there and pasting them here, Strpix reports some wads as corrupted. Such messages as:
http://i51.************/259hoyh.jpg
http://i52.************/207n66e.jpg
http://i53.************/b3sq4w.jpg
prevent me from using those wads (all of them are revised and downloaded from skribblerz).

Anyway, I took one of the working wads and used it to test some of my ORC objects. Here's the results:

The time has come for me to encounter the famous "shooting bug". I draw the weapon (no matter if it is pistols or sixshooter) and the game crashes as soon as the bullet is fired. I thought it's a matter of a missing animation or something... but even when I replaced all LARA objects, the problem remained.

A weirder thing: after replacing LARA, the TR5 keypad has stopped to work. Now she approaches the switch, but she doesn't wanna press it. Also, after such trial, she can't move anymore.

What is more, a replaced HARPY crashes the level when the enemy attacks Lara.

Other objects loaded into the wad, including LITTLE_BEETLE, seem to work properly.

I wonder how many spoilers I will have to give You before this level works... But most of all, I wonder why none of these bugs occured when I was putting together all these wads for Advent Calendar Contest. That days, everything was flowing perfectly... Maybe there is only one common reason for all these bugs: they occur because I don't have time for them.

Titak
01-03-11, 12:35
STRPIx is one of those programs which are picky when it comes to regional settings regarding the use of comma or dot as decimal dividers.
You'll need to set the regional settings to English so a dot will be used as decimal divider.
Not sure if that will solve your problem with it though... not much of an expert on errormessages.

As for Lara not performing that switch animation: make sure you are using one of the LARA objects from one of the revised wads. She might be missing that particular animation right now.
Then add custom animations to that LARA object if needed/wanted.

Crashes can also happen if an object is corrupted somehow or if something in the prj got corrupted somehow.

klona
01-03-11, 12:55
1. Here is the trigger window.
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9029/thefinishtrigger.png

2. Yes they are, I've checked both WADS. All Lara items are the same.

3. The Script, i want Lara to jump from City of the Dead to Catacombs, Lara won't be able to go back to the previous level after reaching the 2nd level.
I don't want Lara to close her stuff like Medi-packs and Weapons.
;**************************************
;
; Tomb Raider IV Script File
; Release Version 1.00
;
;**************************************

;--------------------------------------
; Platform Definitions

[PSXExtensions]
Level= .PSX
Cut= .CUT
FMV= .FMV

[PCExtensions]
Level= .TR4
Cut= .TR4
FMV= .BIK

; Language Filenames

[Language]
File= 0,ENGLISH.TXT
File= 1,FRENCH.TXT
File= 2,GERMAN.TXT
File= 3,ITALIAN.TXT
File= 4,SPANISH.TXT

; Options

[Options]
LoadSave= ENABLED
Title= ENABLED
PlayAnyLevel= ENABLED
InputTimeout= 18000 ; frames * seconds = 60x30
FlyCheat= ENABLED
Security= $55
DemoDisc= DISABLED

; Title

[Title]

LoadCamera= 84246,-533,78233,81622,-1514,78208,40 ;src x,y,z target x,y,z, room
Level= DATA\TITLE,104

; Levels

[Level]
Name= Playable Tutorial Level
Legend= The year 2000, somewhere in Egypt...
Horizon= ENABLED
Layer1= 160,160,192,7
PuzzleCombo= 3,1,Cartouche Piece 1, $0000,$0400,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 3,2,Cartouche Piece 2, $0000,$0400,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 3,Ba Cartouche, $0000,$0400,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 5,Eye Of Horus, $0017,$0500,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 5,1,Eye Piece, $0017,$0500,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 5,2,Eye Piece, $0017,$0500,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 6,The Hand Of Orion, $0000,$0400,$8000,$c000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 8,The Hand Of Sirius, $0000,$0400,$8000,$c000,$0000,$0002
LoadCamera= 0,0,0,0,0,0,255
Level= DATA\TUT1,107

[Level]
Name= The Tomb Of Seth
Puzzle= 1,Eye Of Horus, $0017,$0500,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 1,1,Eye Piece, $0017,$0500,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 1,2,Eye Piece, $0017,$0500,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 2,The Timeless Sands, $0018,$0300,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 3,1,Cartouche Piece 1, $0000,$0400,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 3,2,Cartouche Piece 2, $0000,$0400,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 3,Ba Cartouche, $0000,$0400,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 4,Ra Cartouche, $0000,$0400,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 7,Guardian Key, $0009,$0300,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
LoadCamera= 0,0,0,0,0,0,255
Level= DATA\SETTOMB,107

[Level]
Name= Temple Of Karnak
Horizon= ENABLED
Snow= SNOW_ALL_OUTSIDE
Layer1= 128,96,64,7
Puzzle= 2,Canopic Jar 1, $0001,$0320,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 3,Canopic Jar 2, $0001,$0320,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 1,Sun Talisman, $0000,$0500,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 1,1,Sun Disk, $0000,$0180,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 1,2,Sun Goddess, $0000,$04b0,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 5,Golden Vraeus, $0003,$0300,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 7,Guardian Key, $0009,$0300,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Key= 2,Hypostyle Key, $0000,$0400,$0000,$c000,$0000,$0002
FOG= 210,210,230
LoadCamera= 89366,-258,48077,88372,-1300,45701,0
Level= DATA\KARNAK,110

[Level]
Name= Coastal Ruins
Horizon= ENABLED
Layer1= 128,128,128,-8
ColAddHorizon= ENABLED
LensFlare= 250000,-32000,110000,128,96,0
Puzzle= 5,Portal Guardian, $0008,$0600,$8000,$f000,$0000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 5,1,Ornate Handle, $0002,$0500,$4000,$1000,$0000,$000a
PuzzleCombo= 5,2,Hathor Effigy, $0016,$0400,$8000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Mirror= 69,$7400
Puzzle= 3,Golden Star, $0000,$0500,$0000,$0000,$0000,$000a
Puzzle= 6,Horseman's Gem, $0000,$0300,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 10,Pharos Knot, $0011,$0400,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 11,Pharos Pillar, $0013,$04b0,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 12,Black Beetle, $0008,$03b0,$0000,$e000,$0000,$000a
Pickup= 1,Broken Beetle, $0008,$03b0,$0000,$e000,$0000,$000a
Key= 1,Token, $0013,$0200,$4000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Key= 10,Gate Key, $0008,$0300,$8000,$e000,$0000,$0002
LoadCamera= 69395,-4283,29278,72285,-4304,29773,2
Level= DATA\COASTAL,105

[Level]
Name= Catacombs
Puzzle= 2,Music Scroll, $0006,$0400,$0000,$c000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 3,Golden Star, $0000,$0500,$0000,$0000,$0000,$000a
Puzzle= 11,Pharos Pillar, $0013,$04b0,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Key= 1,Token, $0013,$0200,$4000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Key= 10,Gate Key, $0008,$0300,$8000,$e000,$0000,$0002
LoadCamera= 63414,-13597,48104,61816,-14434,49092,71
Level= DATA\CATACOMB,108

[Level]
Name= Cleopatra's Palaces
Puzzle= 2,Music Scroll, $0006,$0400,$0000,$c000,$0000,$0002
Pickup= 2,Broken Glasses, $0008,$0150,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
LoadCamera= 37674,-6560,48511,37886,-6404,47204,18
Level= DATA\CLEOPAL,107

[Level]
Name= City Of The Dead
Horizon= ENABLED
Layer1= 56,72,8,16
Puzzle= 1,Nitrous Oxide Feeder, $0004,$0300,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 2,Car-Jack, $0000,$0400,$4000,$8000,$4000,$0002
Puzzle= 4,Roof Key, $0000,$0300,$4000,$d000,$b000,$0002
Puzzle= 5,Weapon Code Key, $0000,$0200,$8000,$c000,$0000,$0002
Puzzle= 8,Mine Detonator, $0008,$0400,$8000,$0000,$0000,$2002
PuzzleCombo= 1,1,Valve Pipe, $0004,$0300,$0000,$0000,$0000,$000a
PuzzleCombo= 1,2,Nitrous Oxide Cannister, $0002,$0300,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 2,1,Car-Jack Body, $0000,$0400,$4000,$8000,$4000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 2,2,Handle, $0000,$0300,$4000,$8000,$4000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 8,1,Mine Detonator Body, $0008,$0400,$8000,$0000,$0000,$0002
PuzzleCombo= 8,2,Mine Position Data, $0004,$0280,$8000,$c000,$0000,$0002
LoadCamera= 40900,498,36177,42256,-666,37727,51
Level= DATA\CITY,102

4. Will i need Lara to jump from the title to the Level Directly? :confused:

Titak
01-03-11, 13:07
Oops... the number of the level (number 5 is correct in this case) should be in the (Object to trigger) field.

My mistake I think. Haven't I told you to put it in the Timer field? I think I did... Sorry... for some odd reason I pictured it being in that field in my head but I didn't check it in my own TRLE...
The moment I saw you screenshot of the trigger I knew I had told you wrong. :o

Since you are not using the ResetHUB= 5 line in the script section of City of the Dead I'm assuming that all of the Lara related objects are the same in both City of the Dead and Catacombs?

When selecting NEW GAME, the game will always start with the first level in the script.
So if City of the Dead has to be the first level of your game, then you'll have to move that script section above Playable Tutorial Level.
(And then Catacombs will be level 6)

klona
01-03-11, 13:30
It works perfectly, oh thank you!! :hug:
Now i'm going to start the 2nd part of my level... does anyone know where to get TR:L England Textures? Because i can't find them...
EDIT : Nevermind, i found them. :)

Dustie
01-03-11, 15:16
Hey, people... As I said, I had to change PCs for a while... Bad time for doing so, it appears. After copying all project files and wads from there and pasting them here, Strpix reports some wads as corrupted. Such messages as:

prevent me from using those wads (all of them are revised and downloaded from skribblerz).

Did you try running the program as Administrator, so that it has free access to files on your drive?

DJ Full
01-03-11, 18:08
STRPIx is one of those programs which are picky when it comes to regional settings regarding the use of comma or dot as decimal dividers. You'll need to set the regional settings to English so a dot will be used as decimal divider.
Aha, just like in Meta... Had the same issue with it a few days ago, Soul solved it... However, it can't be the reason now - unlike Meta, Strpix used to work good until I transported those wads...
As for Lara not performing that switch animation: make sure you are using one of the LARA objects from one of the revised wads
I am really sure they are all untouched (except karnak.wad file) Revised Wads from Skribblerz download package.

EDIT: Or I am not. I will check it anyway.

@ Dustie, this is WinXP, and I'm the only user, so I've never had any Administrator issues. No such settings were recently changed. The error occured directly after those .wads were transported.

This gives me an idea... all these wad files were transported on Corsair Flash Voyager... Maybe it was a pendrive rootkit infection or something similar

If this is the reason, the only solution for me is to download the Revised Wads once again... I will see if it helps.

FloTheMachine
01-03-11, 19:02
When enemies fade away, once they're killed, that isn't scripted or anything, but do I need a script entry to make them 'stay' where they are once they are defeated?

KurtisandLara
01-03-11, 19:49
Customize= CUST_KEEP_DEAD_ENEMIES, ENABLED
Is what your looking for i believe.

Titak
02-03-11, 09:28
^
That is indeed the TRNG way to keep dead enemies visible. :D

Mystery-King
02-03-11, 17:55
META questions...

1) How many vertices (I think that is) are you allowed on one object in NGLE (Not TRNG)

2) How do you find out how many are on the custom object in Meta?

Thanks! :)

DJ Full
02-03-11, 18:36
For Your second question: View -> Document information.

BTW: Concerning that .wad error I had yesterday - the reason must have been something wrong with the Flash drive indeed. Today I based everything on a different wad (not a transported one) and everything works fine.

EDIT:
Hey! I placed a TR5 keypad in SWITCH_TYPE1 slot in the level, together with LITTLE_BEETLE. Pressing the keypad (entering the right combination) triggers those scarabs even if there is no trigger for them in the map. What the...??? Is this some kind of a hardcoded link between those two slots? Or something different?

RoxasKennedy
02-03-11, 19:04
Sorry if I'm boring with all my questions, but is it possible to make the ride on mine carts like in TR3 Rex-Tech mines in TRLE??

Titak
02-03-11, 19:46
EssGee made it work but it basically works like the jeep or motorbike.
Not possible to make it work exactly as the TR3 version does as far as I know.

Mytly
03-03-11, 19:36
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the bug in this video (textures going black)? (Watch from 0:15 onwards). And of course, how can it be fixed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEAphEpw-v0

The video is by rtrger, one of my beta-testers. I myself don't experience the bug at all, but another tester - Gabi - does. So I have no idea what's causing it, and I have no idea how to go about fixing it. :confused:

Soul
03-03-11, 19:44
That's a known bug in the LE-engine...I think you have to change the height of your map.

EDIT: It's not the height, it's the position. The rooms shouldn't be tooo near the edge of the map.

Mytly
03-03-11, 19:46
Are you talking about the bug in which rooms in the bottom right-hand corner of the LE window turn black? That's not the case here.

Soul
03-03-11, 19:49
Ah, OK, yep that's what I was talking about, sorry, that it's not the case here :(

Mystery-King
03-03-11, 20:54
does anyone have a glass texture that I can apply in Strpix? I want it to be pretty much invisible but you can still tell the glass is there. Would semi-transparent and shining help? Thanks! :)

Titak
03-03-11, 21:37
A simple dark coloured texture should do the trick.
Semi-transparant is definitely needed otherwise you can't see through the glass.
A slight shine effect also enhances the glassy look.

Mystery-King
03-03-11, 21:39
Sorry what do you mean by a simple dark texture? Do you just mean a one colour grey texture? Thanks. :)

Titak
03-03-11, 21:54
One colour grey can work indeed.

I personally always prefer something a bit blueish for regular glass. I know most glass windows aren't blue but I like the visual effect of it being a bit blue. :D

(The darker the texture is the more transparant it appears ingame.)

Mystery-King
03-03-11, 22:18
Thanks. That's exactly the information I needed. *hugs*

Uzi master
03-03-11, 23:08
Thanks. That's exactly the information I needed. *hugs*

you could also just applie a magneta texture with a really high shine, if you want it to be just barley visible, magneta is fully transparent in-game, but the high shine will allow you to "see" the polygons, but only where the shining is occuring.

benjamin_2010
04-03-11, 05:36
Mesh Editing/Remapping Issue

Hello. So, recently, I did my first backpack swap. And it was sooo painful. I put HorusGoddess' backpack on PoYu's Anniversary Renew outfit. I retextured it perfectly, which took me two days, and then went to remap according to the original Anniversary Renew torso mesh...and the thing went haywire.

When I opened it back up in strpix, Lara's waist had cinched into almost nothing; the mesh was totally destroyed by my apparently incorrect remap. How can I prevent this? I really want that backpack...and after I retexture the mesh again I really don't want to mess it up. :(

!Lara Croft!
04-03-11, 07:36
Download Sapper's Editwad 1.3 so that you can simply combine the meshes without having to remap or retexture.

(a TRLE search will come up with the program)

In it, select Horus-goddess's backpack, export MQO, open it in meta and delete everything that isnt the backpack. Save. Export the TRA torso and delete its backpack. Then back in editwad add the two meshes together and you wont even have to retexture.

(Im too tired to give an indepth or more detailed tutorial...)

RoxasKennedy
04-03-11, 08:11
How to make a pushable block climbable in TRNG??

!Lara Croft!
04-03-11, 08:13
In the ocb menu you type 64 + however many clicks there are. So a 4 click pushable would be 68.

Titak
04-03-11, 08:57
How to make a pushable block climbable in TRNG??Please post TRNG related questions in the TRNG section next time. :)

Hello. So, recently, I did my first backpack swap. And it was sooo painful. I put HorusGoddess' backpack on PoYu's Anniversary Renew outfit. I retextured it perfectly, which took me two days, and then went to remap according to the original Anniversary Renew torso mesh...and the thing went haywire.

When I opened it back up in strpix, Lara's waist had cinched into almost nothing; the mesh was totally destroyed by my apparently incorrect remap. How can I prevent this? I really want that backpack...and after I retexture the mesh again I really don't want to mess it up. :(

(Im too tired to give an indepth or more detailed tutorial...)No need. We have a good tutorial on remapping outfits (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=132749). :D

EditWad is indeed a good tool for making new outfits. :tmb:

!Lara Croft!
04-03-11, 09:07
No need. We have a good tutorial on remapping outfits (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=132749). :D

And with sappers new Stripix3 (avaliable on his profile) its far easier to remap as the verticies that are fine are highlighted in green, and you can just click on it, then the one you want to switch it to rather than typing in numbers.

sapper
04-03-11, 09:55

StrPix has a bug that let's you remap to a vertex that doesn't exist and this is what cinches in some faces.

Don't enter a number in the remap boxes that equals the number of vertices in the mesh. The highest number you can use is the number of vertices minus 1.

There a lots of options now to avoid retexturing.

Restrtext

Paolone's retexturize DXF and Fast 3D in NGCenter's Tools2 Tab

DXF2MQO+MQO2DXF (discussed in this post (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=4562526&postcount=6) for a backpack swap)

Editwad

Also the easiest way to check whether skin meshes and joint meshes connect is to create a TR4, use meta2tr and examine the skin and joint meshes together in moveall.mqo.

DJ Full
04-03-11, 12:16
Now I replaced BIG_BEETLE Mesh 0 with a custom one.
I remade a meshtree in Animation Editor - all "Pop" and "Push" buttons are ticked and unticked the way they are in the original BIG_BEETLE.

One problem is the beetle still looks a little bit disintegrated:
http://i56.************/2ngejon.jpg

The second issue is when I load it into the level ALL REMAINING OBJECTS START TO FLOAT, MOVE, TURNING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTION THAN LARA DOES.
http://i56.************/2nkoe0.jpg

Don't worry - this is not my ORC level. This is a test room only.
Also, PUZZLE_HOLE1 and DOOR_TYPE2 are not included there.

benjamin_2010
04-03-11, 15:21
Thanks so much for the tips! I guess I have some good programs at my disposal. I'm probably a little behind, as usual. :o

Well now I can't wait to get back to work on my outfit. If I already have the backpack saved as .dfx and the torso saved as .dfx will they work in EditWad or do I have to save them specifically as .mqo?

Titak
04-03-11, 17:02
I remade a meshtree in Animation Editor - all "Pop" and "Push" buttons are ticked and unticked the way they are in the original BIG_BEETLE.

http://i56.************/2ngejon.jpg
Why edit the meshtree?
If the meshes are replaced by custom one you shouldn't have to redo the meshtree. :confused:

The second issue is when I load it into the level ALL REMAINING OBJECTS START TO FLOAT, MOVE, TURNING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTION THAN LARA DOES.
http://i56.************/2nkoe0.jpg

Kinda sounds like the issue I had with one of my manor levels.
The objects in one of the rooms would do that.
In my case it was a flipmap and I suspect that I did something wrong, like placing objects, creating/removing doors, creating or removing the flipamp, while I had the "Hide objects" button ticked.

It was back to normal when I went back to an older save of the prj.

Atlantisfreak
04-03-11, 19:14
i have a question about meta2tr. does the room still have the same collision after you've edited it?

I might try it out:pi:

Titak
04-03-11, 19:36
The collision will always be that of the original objects and roomgeometry.
You can't change collision with Meta2TR.

So you have to make sure that Lara won't be able to go through roomgeometry elements or objects (that are supposed to be solid) after editing.

sapper
04-03-11, 23:31

If this strange turning behaviour also happens when you rotate an object in the roomeditor it means an object's meshtree is wrong.

Thanks so much for the tips! I guess I have some good programs at my disposal. I'm probably a little behind, as usual. :o

Well now I can't wait to get back to work on my outfit. If I already have the backpack saved as .dfx and the torso saved as .dfx will they work in EditWad or do I have to save them specifically as .mqo?

DXF is no good for Editwad.

Probably best to start again with the original wads.

Create a wad with the Lara Skin you want in the Lara Skin slot and a copy of the Lara Skin with the backpack in an animating slot.

Open in Editwad and export the chest mesh for each to MQO.

Open one MQO in meta and then insert the other.

Delete the torso of the animating skin and the backpack of the normal skin.

Save the MQO with everything visible and import back into the Lara Skin chest mesh.
Before you copy the new chest over the old chest in Editwad, copy the collision. After you have copied the new chest apply the saved collision.
Editwad calculates the collision too large so you want to keep the original collision.

deskj
04-03-11, 23:36
ditto, i once got this problem too

benjamin_2010
05-03-11, 01:45
DXF is no good for Editwad.

Probably best to start again with the original wads.

Create a wad with the Lara Skin you want in the Lara Skin slot and a copy of the Lara Skin with the backpack in an animating slot.

Open in Editwad and export the chest mesh for each to MQO.

Open one MQO in meta and then insert the other.

Delete the torso of the animating skin and the backpack of the normal skin.

Save the MQO with everything visible and import back into the Lara Skin chest mesh.
Before you copy the new chest over the old chest in Editwad, copy the collision. After you have copied the new chest apply the saved collision.
Editwad calculates the collision too large so you want to keep the original collision.

I tried doing all of this and nothing is working out for me. The mesh is usually backwards (I imported the original .dfx's correctly) and there are no textures applied. Any help with that? Am I not using the correct Meta? I see in EditWad that it says my mqo objects are loaded with texture 0 or something, no specific textures...

EDIT: It says "No materials found in MQO, all faces will be set to texture 0."
I am using Metasequoia 2.3.4.2 Freeware version.

sapper
05-03-11, 05:08
Editwad stores the texture info in the material names when it saves an MQO.
This is how it knows to put the textures back.

The meshes you are using must not have been saved from editwad and have no materials assigned to the faces.

To avoid retexturing you must save the meshes to MQO from editwad first then modify those meshes.

DJ Full
05-03-11, 05:57
Kinda sounds like the issue I had with one of my manor levels.
The objects in one of the rooms would do that.
In my case it was a flipmap and I suspect that I did something wrong, like placing objects, creating/removing doors, creating or removing the flipamp, while I had the "Hide objects" button ticked.

But this is a single room, so...

it means an object's meshtree is wrong.

That would be it - it happened directly after placing that enemy in the level. And that's why I don't understand. The meshtree looks identical with the original one.

Why edit the meshtree?
If the meshes are replaced by custom one you shouldn't have to redo the meshtree. :confused:

Only one mesh is customized. Mesh 0.

I imported a new mesh into Strpix...
...saved the wad...
...opened it in wadmerger...
...launched animation editor...
...added a new ExtraMesh0 to the meshtree...
...moved it up for it to become mesh 0...
... moved the former mesh 0 to the very bottom (mesh 12)...
...to be able to delete it (I can do it only with the last mesh - otherwise the program crashes)...
...and finally, I reassigned "push"es and "pop"s the way they originally were.

If there is a way of replacing a mesh belonging to an animating without editing its meshtree, it seems I misunderstood all tutorials... again... even if I read them several times. Doh...

Titak
05-03-11, 10:44
Ah, yes, that's where things go wrong.
The Add New Mesh option in STRPix should only be used when making a whole new moveable object from scratch.
Because adding new meshes to an exsisting moveable, like an enemie will mess up the mehstree and, since it is linked, also all the animations the moveable/enemie might have.

Here's what I always do:

Make a simple wad with only the object I want to edit in it. In this case it would be the BIG_BEETLE. (a seperate wad is saver because then you are less likely getting problems with your levelwad and it is easier to locate textures)
Open this wad in STRPix.
Now let's say I want to edit the beetle's body. So I scroll down the list of meshes untill I have found the body mesh. (best switch to Textured mode so you can see better which mesh is which)
Export this body mesh.
Open the mesh in Meta and change it and save it.
Back in Meta, with the original body mesh still selected and thus visible in the render window, Select Import dxf from the File menu.
Open the new bodymesh which will then REPLACE the original bodymesh.
Save the wad.

So instead of adding new meshes which mess up the meshtree and animations you replace existing meshes with your new cutsom made ones.
And it speaks for itself I think that you replace body with new body, head with new head and not replace head with new leg or something silly like that. (unless you are going for some weirdo mutation thingy... :rolleyes:)

DJ Full
05-03-11, 11:11
:hug:
Now that explains everything.

Till this moment, I tried to refer to BOTH methods in the same time - because I found no clear clue separating them, so I thought they ARE the same method and kept looking for a non-existing tip connecting them.

Sometimes I was forgetting about the first tutorial... sometimes about the second...

There is a kind of indescribable beauty in mistakes like this - incredible yet inevitable. ORC... here I come.

If it works, I'll edit this post and tell You.
If not - I'll edit this post and tell You.

(unless you are going for some weirdo mutation thingy... )"Doh!... Seems she knows me better than I thought."

EDIT: It flows. I mean, floats. Thank You! This is a kind of my personal milestone, so here You are:

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/customavatars/avatar28220_2.gif

Titak
05-03-11, 11:47
"Doh!... Seems she knows me better than I thought." :vlol:
And "vlol" at your new avatar too!

Sure, feel free to post back here if things don't work out the way they should. :D

Mytly
05-03-11, 15:10
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the bug in this video (textures going black)? (Watch from 0:15 onwards). And of course, how can it be fixed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEAphEpw-v0

The video is by rtrger, one of my beta-testers. I myself don't experience the bug at all, but another tester - Gabi - does. So I have no idea what's causing it, and I have no idea how to go about fixing it. :confused:
I feel embarrassed quoting my own post, but I was really hoping someone would have a solution to this problem. :o Anyone?

Titak
05-03-11, 15:54
"Rooms in bottom right hand corner" in the TRLE window is my first guess but from what I've seen in your testthread, this isn't the case, right?

Other than that... :confused:

Thing can also be cut off suddenly when having transparant textures somewhere which allow you to look into other rooms, but the transparant textures are not applied to a door between rooms.
But I can't see how that could be the case here... :confused:

HURLEYstickmen
05-03-11, 16:34
Hi folks. :wve:
Didn't know where to put this question, but has someone modded at least one of !Lara Croft!'s outfits with Po Yu's AoD head? Jus' curious, is all...

FloTheMachine
05-03-11, 16:38
You could but a request in the Object Team thread for a head mesh swap?

HURLEYstickmen
05-03-11, 16:43
You could but a request in the Object Team thread for a head mesh swap?
Well, it does say that they aren't good with outfits 'n' stuffz, but I'll go for it and see what the outcome is. :|

FloTheMachine
05-03-11, 16:47
It's not an outfit. They'll just need to replace the headmesh with PoYu's. :D

DJ Full
05-03-11, 23:21
Hey.
I don't intend to use a certain puzzle ingame (I want to combine its parts only, to transform them into something different). So I consider deleting its corresponding PUZZLE_HOLE and PUZZLE_DONE objects from the wad, and that's why I need to know if those elements are optional, or obligatory for a level to work. Will the game crash if I get rid of those puzzle parts?

Similar: will the game crash if I remove WATERSKIN_1 and WATERSKIN_2, providing no opportunity for a player to pour 1 or 2 litres into the waterskin? (Element puzzle requires all variants of this item, so I think these are crucial - but I can be wrong.)

Also, does the mine detonator (PUZZLE_ITEM8 from Street Bazaar) have its PUZZLE_DONE at all? Or does everything vanish when the mines explode?

EDIT: The last question is not actual anymore. I've just read about minefield on skribblerz.

But that makes another problem: is PUZZLE_ITEM8 slot reserved for mine detonation only, or can I put any combo puzzle in it?

And what is a mysterious object called MAPPER, placed in cleopal.wad? Does it have something to do with CLOCKWORK_BEETLE setup? I wanted to find the tutorial somewhere, but I couldn't.

EDIT2: I've just found that MAPPER in guard.wad. It's that thingy casting a vertical beam... but that version from cleopal.wad seems to be a nullmesh - something completely different - so the question remains unanswered.

Finally, all objects in their right slots... I named them "maybeworking.wad", heheh. Tomorrow, it will be customization... But it will be tomorrow... Zzzzzz...

Kapu
05-03-11, 23:44
Throw some puzzle items in slot 8 and see what happens. :p No, I don't believe it's reserved. Could be wrong, though.

Titak
05-03-11, 23:51
Hey.
I don't intend to use a certain puzzle ingame (I want to combine its parts only, to transform them into something different). So I consider deleting its corresponding PUZZLE_HOLE and PUZZLE_DONE objects from the wad, and that's why I need to know if those elements are optional, or obligatory for a level to work. Will the game crash if I get rid of those puzzle parts?The game will be fine if you don't have the PUZZLE_DONE or PUZZLE_HOLE for some puzzle-item in the wad.

Similar: will the game crash if I remove WATERSKIN_1 and WATERSKIN_2, providing no opportunity for a player to pour 1 or 2 litres into the waterskin? (Element puzzle requires all variants of this item, so I think these are crucial - but I can be wrong.)
WATERSKIN_1 and WATERSKIN_2 are not crucial for a wad to work, even if the ELEMENT_PUZZLE is used for the dirt and petrol.
They are only needed if you want Lara to be able to get some water for one reason or another.

But that makes another problem: is PUZZLE_ITEM8 slot reserved for mine detonation only, or can I put any combo puzzle in it? PUZZLE_ITEM8 can be replaced by others. :D
It does not have to be the mine detonator.

DJ Full
06-03-11, 00:05
Oh. You also not sleeping yet? Thank You - I'm glad I don't have to store all this stuff unnecessarily. Tomorrow I will see what happens, but now I feel more wasted than that bug in my avatar.

Goodnight.

Titak
06-03-11, 11:43
Isn't there a one hour time difference between Poland and the Netherlands?
Anyway, I went to bed too, shortly after I posted that reply. :D

benjamin_2010
06-03-11, 21:54
Thanks again to Sapper for helping me figure out Edit Wad. Yay!
Next question...I hope a simple one.
How can I make a shotgun or any "back" weapon lay vertically like in the classics instead of diagonally like in TR Legend and Anniversary?

I want to take the classic shotgun renewed by laras boyfriend and make it fit to the side of Lara's backback, like in TR1-5. Not like TR 7. Do I have to edit the shotgun "holstered" mesh to make it sit that way? If so..what is the best way to do that?

Titak
06-03-11, 22:32
Yes, the "holstered" shotgun is in the SHOTGUN_ANIM object.

Open the wad with this object in it (Editwad woudl be best in this case since it will import the edited mesh back into the wad all textured) and find the shotgun (it's the one after the shotgun in Lara's hand).
Open it in Meta and rotate into the correct position.
Import back into the wad replacing the original mesh.

THOR2010
06-03-11, 22:39
ooops wrong thread :o

benjamin_2010
06-03-11, 22:41
Ah, okay. My suspicions are correct. Thanks! You are all so helpful :hug:

mudkip25
07-03-11, 14:35
I really need help! :o

I'm trying to load my wad into WadMerger and these pop up:
GetNumText -> Bad texture in mesh 1034!
Unknown FaceType - Face1001
Unknown FaceType - Face1002
Unknown FaceType - Face1003
GetMesh -> Error reading mesh 1034!
GetMesh -> Error reading mesh 1157!
GetMesh -> Error reading mesh 1158!
WadMerger doesn't crash or anything, it just comes out blank but says my wad's name on the top.
When I go to StrPix, because this happened after I added a mesh that I made, it says this:
Read beyond end of file.
It does not crash either, it stays open but nothing is loaded. :(

Can someone help me solve this?

Titak
07-03-11, 15:52
You added a mesh with the Add New Mesh in STRPix?
If so, why? Because it is better to overwrite an already existing mesh with Import dxf.

Uzi master
07-03-11, 16:13
^ Well I don't know about mudkip but the only way I could add a mesh to a meshtree is by adding an extra mesh in STRpix first, not that it works particularly well for me...

Titak
07-03-11, 16:56
Yes, when you want to add an extra mesh to some existing animating or if you want to build a new animating completely from scratch you do indeed have to add the mesh in STRPix using the Add New Empty Mesh feature.
However, this is kind of buggy like it says in that flash tutorial on TR Search Engine (It says that getting error messages in WADMerger afterwards happens a lot) and when you just want to edit an existing animating it is way better to replace those meshes with your new ones using Import dxf. Also because then you don't have to worry about the meshtree and all that.

So, that's why I'm asking mudkip why he added a new mesh.
(If that is indeed what he did.)

Mytly
07-03-11, 22:03
"Rooms in bottom right hand corner" in the TRLE window is my first guess but from what I've seen in your testthread, this isn't the case, right?

Other than that... :confused:

Thing can also be cut off suddenly when having transparant textures somewhere which allow you to look into other rooms, but the transparant textures are not applied to a door between rooms.
But I can't see how that could be the case here... :confused:
No, neither of these is the case. Maybe I'll just let it be the way it is - it's hardly a game-stopping bug. :o

mudkip25
07-03-11, 23:10
I used the "Import .dxf" one. :(

sapper
07-03-11, 23:29
I really need help! :]
WadMerger doesn't crash or anything, it just comes out blank but says my wad's name on the top.
When I go to StrPix, because this happened after I added a mesh that I made, it says this:

It does not crash either, it stays open but nothing is loaded. :(

Can someone help me solve this?

The wad file is corrupted. Hopefully you have a backup.

mudkip25
07-03-11, 23:35
Thank God I do! :D

!Lara Croft!
08-03-11, 00:14
How do i set up winston so that he will just walk randomly around the map and not attack you?

Titak
08-03-11, 09:34
I used the "Import .dxf" one. :(Ah, yes, then it is most likely like sapper said. That your wad got corrupted somehow.

Btw, when messing around with objects it is best to do the editing in seperate wads which only contain the objects you want to edit.
So do not work directly with your level wad.

matrix54
08-03-11, 13:37
you know what I find lazy about myself.
I sit in game design classes every other day (which means I'm designing SOMETHING for a game) yet I'm too lazy to do anything like that for the trle. :p

mudkip25
08-03-11, 13:43
Oh well lol! Thanks anyways! :)

DJ Full
08-03-11, 17:49
A simple dark coloured texture should do the trick.
Semi-transparant is definitely needed otherwise you can't see through the glass.
A slight shine effect also enhances the glassy look.

And what about a glass texture, but with a non-transparent part? Like, e.g., an injector with a graduation?

You know, like this:

0 5 10 15 20
||||||||||||||||||||

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQQV2E5t7jE97xsyUmmJJG0iH5CB5HV 7Uhhh6q6rxUMhj7DrsC

Is it possible with a single texture at all?

Soul
08-03-11, 17:58
And what about a glass texture, but with a non-transparent part? Like, e.g., an injector with a graduation?

You know, like this:

0 5 10 15 20
||||||||||||||||||||

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQQV2E5t7jE97xsyUmmJJG0iH5CB5HV 7Uhhh6q6rxUMhj7DrsC

Is it possible with a single texture?

I don't think its possible with a single texture, but I'd do it that way: Build the object in Meta so that there are two faces but the player won't realise that as they are nearly identical.
On the inner face apply the normal glass-texture transparent and on the outer face you apply the scale-texture (where just the scale is visible and everything else is in magenta) non-transparent.

DJ Full
08-03-11, 18:04
I've already created objects with 2 layers - bottles with chemical ingredients inside - but somehow I didn't think about using this method in this case. So thanks for opening my mind - and that's what I'm gonna do.

EDIT:

I tried it - but I can't reach the inner face in StrPix, because it's covered by the outer one! What am I supposed to do?

Soul
08-03-11, 19:30
You don't have to make the outer face that huge, as it's mostly magenta anyway ;)

Just change its size so that the inner one can still be clicked at some points in StrPix. Players won't realise this.

I also once created the "interior" of a ballpoint pen. There I couldn't change the actual size of any face, so I made the space between the faces a bit bigger so that I could "reach" the inner face through the little space between. But the above solution should work better in your case
http://www.abload.de/img/unbenanntfs0d.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=unbenanntfs0d.jpg)
(as a player wouldn't have reached the front part I didn't have to care about the big space there, but the solution above would have worked there too (by just making the inner face a bit longer (so that it goes INTO the point-) and the outer face stop right before the point of the biro so that the crack isn't THAT visible but one can still texture the inner poart through it...))

sapper
08-03-11, 22:52
I've already created objects with 2 layers - bottles with chemical ingredients inside - but somehow I didn't think about using this method in this case. So thanks for opening my mind - and that's what I'm gonna do.

EDIT:

I tried it - but I can't reach the inner face in StrPix, because it's covered by the outer one! What am I supposed to do?

If you want to try my StrPix beta (link in my visitor messages) I added a key combination that lets you hide faces so faces underneath are accessible.

My beta did not work for some people though (textures not showing and some other bugs).

Since my beta is still being tested, also do as Titak says and only use my beta on wads for particular objects and not your level wad and also have backups for your wads.

EDIT: White marks on the texture will show up on semi transparent textures. Remember for semi transparent faces, black is most see through and white is least see through.

DJ Full
09-03-11, 15:55
If you want to try my StrPix beta (link in my visitor messages) I added a key combination that lets you hide faces so faces underneath are accessible.

My beta did not work for some people though (textures not showing and some other bugs).

Since my beta is still being tested, also do as Titak says and only use my beta on wads for particular objects and not your level wad and also have backups for your wads.

EDIT: White marks on the texture will show up on semi transparent textures. Remember for semi transparent faces, black is most see through and white is least see through.

Thank You very much. Actually, I have no other choice than to try it. Remember this?:

http://i51.************/259hoyh.jpg
http://i52.************/207n66e.jpg
http://i53.************/b3sq4w.jpg

Even though those messages are gone (fixing wads solved the problem:tmb:), the program tells me:

"Error creating window device"
"No canvas allowed"

and, after moving the wad and Strpix to my laptop, another message appears:

"Out of system resources".

What the...? How can a program simple like this one cause a system to run out of memory?

In fact, Strpix keeps crashing every 5 minutes. Everytime I apply several textures, I need to reload the wad. So in practice, I am simply unable to retexture any object. And I need to post a screen of my ORC level (filled with RETEXTURED objects) till tomorrow - if I don't do it, I will be disqualified. Someone should think about disqualifying lagging PCs... with a hammer... and/or by throwing them out of the window.

Not to mention net shutdown and a necessity to write to You from my friends' PCs. For all this month, it is like this - encountering a problem, shutting down the machine, going to my friend, using his/her PC to write to You, waiting for solution, going back home to see if it works on my PC, encountering another problem, shutting down the machine, going to my friend, using his/her PC, posting, waiting, going back home to check if it works, encountering YET another problem, shutting down the PC, going to a friend, and again, again, again... :cen: A :hea: COMPETITION :hea: IS :hea: JUST :hea: A :hea: PERFECT :hea: TIME :hea: FOR :hea: NET :hea: PROBLEMS....

sapper
09-03-11, 23:22
StrPix v130 is an old version of StrPix that Paolone patched to accept v130 wads.

This old version used by Paolone may not have been programmed for XP.

The version of StrPix available at trsearch is the latest official version and was specifically programmed for XP by IceBerg.

DJ Full
10-03-11, 11:03
@Sapper - thank You for new Strpix. It annihilated all frustration and saved me a lot of time. The only bug I've encountered so far is: if I hit "Show Desktop" button when the program is running, the Options window is impossible to restore. And, if there is already a "Unhide faces" button, there should be "Unhide selected" as well - because if one accidentally hits Alt+Shift instead of Alt+Ctrl, he/she needs to Unhide all faces. If such thing happens during texturing an object having two or more layers and many repetative faces, one can pretty easy forget which of inner faces are already textured, and which of them are not yet - because all inner faces get covered. As a result, one needs to unhide all necessary faces manually... and hope there will be no more accidental clicks.

The whole rest works perfectly, so I've finally made it:

http://i55.************/3145ybl.jpg

Texturing lasted for several hours, and this implies the next issue - this is PUZZLE_HOLE (the one Raymond helped me with), and PUZZLE_DONE looks identical (except several polygons). So I need to know if there is a way to copy existing texture infos from PUZZLE_HOLE and reassign them easily on PUZZLE_DONE, or if I need to texture PUZZLE_DONE from scratch.

EDIT: Solved (that's why it's smaller font now). I SHIFT+copied the whole PUZZLE_HOLE into LITTLE_BEETLE (again, this bug is useful to me), so I kept texture infos. Next, I replaced Mesh0 with PUZZLE_HOLE, and Mesh1 with adjusted PUZZLE_ITEM, so both meshes put together formed PUZZLE_DONE. Heheh. The patient puzzle #1 is now complete.

http://i56.************/2iibwbs.jpg

Also, another trouble: to make Patient 8.348.609.346, I've created some completely new meshes and thrown them all into ANIMATING1 slot. All of them appear invisible in WadMerger Animation Editor. I don't know if it's the new Strpix bug, or my fault.

I know it's recommended to REPLACE existing meshes - but my ANIMATING has 7 of them only, so it's rather memory-eating to waste another 8 only for texturing them transparent.

EDIT: And this issue is also not an issue anymore (so smaller font size). My fault indeed. They are invisible in mesh tree, but they appear in AnimationEditor - higher than I expected, though, so I didn't notice them.

@Sapper, I'm gonna report You all Strpix problems, if any occur, as soon as it happens.

sapper
10-03-11, 22:45
@Sapper, I'm gonna report You all Strpix problems, if any occur, as soon as it happens.

I might not be able to fix them though!

If your wad is not a version 130 I think the latest official StrPix would have solved your PC problems too.

DJ Full
10-03-11, 23:17
I based my wad on revised karnak.wad to have all Lara's animations, and picked all remaining slots I need from other TR4 wads. All taken from skribblerz.com. I don't know if any of them is v1.30. How can I know the difference?

But I tried both "old" StrPixes - 3.95 and 3.95(1.30). And they used to cause identical problems.

Recently, I encountered that "File access denied" message with one of original wads.
Somehow (and extremely fortunately) this seems not to affect my ALREADY MODIFIED wads. Neither those containing single objects, nor filled with a huge set of items. Of course, just in case, I have two copies of my final wads. One of them is called "maybeworking" - this one is for object betatesting. If all tests are passed, an item is copied to "working". Until now, both files are satisfied with their jobs - as well as I am satisfied with their help.

Also, after texturing those syringes, I noticed some of their faces (those inner ones - magenta, covered by outer "semi-transparent") vanish ingame. I checked the object several times - and it seems those texes are placed where they should be. But, as I was in a hurry while checking, I will do it one more time.

sapper
10-03-11, 23:45
I based my wad on revised karnak.wad to have all Lara's animations, and picked all remaining slots I need from other TR4 wads. All taken from skribblerz.com. I don't know if any of them is v1.30. How can I know the difference?

When you open the wad in wadmerger (latest version 1.98) the button "Convert to v130" will be disabled if it is a v130 wad.

But I tried both "old" StrPixes - 3.95 and 3.95(1.30). And they used to cause identical problems.

The latest StrPix at trsearch is 3.9.5 Rev 11. The "About" box shows 3.9.5 Rev10 but it is Rev11 if it also has XP revision by IceBerg.

Also, after texturing those syringes, I noticed some of their faces (those inner ones - magenta, covered by outer "semi-transparent") vanish ingame. I checked the object several times - and it seems those texes are placed where they should be. But, as I was in a hurry while checking, I will do it one more time.

It may be bent quads but try textures other way round too, magenta on top of semi-transparent.

DJ Full
10-03-11, 23:58
It may be bent quads but try textures other way round too, magenta on top of semi-transparent.All quads are flat. I didn't think the layer order can be important. Will invert it. Thank You.

EDIT:

It seems to be important indeed - after reversing the order of layers (putting a semi-transparent under partial magenta) I can see no graduation at all - partial magenta textures are all invisible.

Also, I have another problem with that ANIMATING1. After some trial and error, I finally created its meshtree, which seems to be correct:

http://i56.************/mwtjx0.jpg

Mesh0 - No buttons ticked
Mesh1 - Push
Mesh2 - Push
Mesh3 - No buttons ticked
Mesh4 - Pop + Push
Mesh5 - No buttons ticked
Mesh6 - Pop

This is the guy in AnimationEditor:

http://i53.************/xm97gm.jpg

Also, he looks pretty nice. However, when I try to rotate the torso mesh...

http://i52.************/s5ck7n.jpg

...it appears not connected to legs at all.

It looks just like the mesh was rotating around the invisible center, existing below the object... somehow.
I need more glue. And nails. Anyone knows what is wrong?

EDIT #2:

I didn't think the layer order can be important. Will invert it. Thank You.
(...)
It seems to be important indeed - after reversing the order of layers (putting a semi-transparent under partial magenta) I can see no graduation at all - partial magenta textures are all invisible.

This is already solved - it was my fault again. I forgot to un-tick "semi-transparent" - that's why all textures went nearly invisible.

Anyway, it seems I placed those two layers - inner and outer - too close to each other. This is the result after separating them with a distance of 0.01 meta units:

http://i51.************/vfl7yh.jpg

And this is after putting 0.05 units of empty space between them:

http://i56.************/350kzle.jpg

Now I'm gonna separate them with 0.07 (naahh... another half an hour of texturing, but I wanna know what distance is the minimal required for layers to appear separately ingame).

tombraiderxii
12-03-11, 19:24
I'm having trouble with Finish Triggers.

In my Level 6, when Lara crosses teh finish trigger to go to Level 4, the game crashes. :( It works fine if it level jumps to the same level, but crashes when jumping to any other level. She has the same outfit and I used the ResetHUB= 4 command in the script, but it still crashes.

By crashing, I mean the game just closes and my desktop just shows, and before, it used to be able to do the level jump. :confused:

sapper
13-03-11, 00:05
Also, I have another problem with that ANIMATING1. After some trial and error, I finally created its meshtree, which seems to be correct:

Mesh1 - Push
Mesh2 - Push
Mesh4 - Pop + Push
Mesh6 - Pop

This meshtree is incorrect.
The count of "Pops" must equal the count of "Pushes".
You have 3 Pushes and only 2 Pops.

Should be, I think:

Mesh1 - No buttons ticked
Mesh2 - Push
Mesh4 - Pop + Push
Mesh6 - Pop

2 Pushes and 2 Pops.

Maybe you just wrote the meshtree wrong though.

Also, he looks pretty nice. However, when I try to rotate the torso mesh...

...it appears not connected to legs at all.

It looks just like the mesh was rotating around the invisible center, existing below the object... somehow.
I need more glue. And nails. Anyone knows what is wrong?

The pivot point of the torso must be at the bottom of the torso in the middle.
When you have the torso mesh in meta the pivot point is where the x,y,z axes meet, (0,0,0).

Now I'm gonna separate them with 0.07 (naahh... another half an hour of texturing, but I wanna know what distance is the minimal required for layers to appear separately ingame).

To avoid retexturing try editwad or Paolone's texturize DXF in tools2 tab of NGCenter.
My beta of StrPix can read the opacity and shine information correctly from the DXF file exported from StrPix.

DJ Full
13-03-11, 10:35
This meshtree is incorrect.
The count of "Pops" must equal the count of "Pushes".
Never noticed that info. Will try.
The pivot point of the torso must be at the bottom of the torso in the middle.
When you have the torso mesh in meta the pivot point is where the x,y,z axes meet, (0,0,0).
I don't seem to understand relations between alignment of particular meshes - at first, I suspected the root mesh must be at 0,0,0, but when You said "torso", which is Mesh1, I felt confused...
So I moved it, and the remaining meshes as well... But, on the contrary, now the patient looks a little bit... overintegrated, like no transplantation could help him at all:
http://i54.************/104p853.jpg
To avoid retexturing try editwad or Paolone's texturize DXF in tools2 tab of NGCenter.
Ah, I heard about this tool, but I didn't know it is located in NGCenter. Thanks. Will try. As for those spikes, 0.07 meta unit is still not enough - one graduation still appears "covered" (the remaining are correct). Will leave 0.09 between them. I wonder if mirroring the object matters... some of those faces appear a little bit (at about 0.5 degree) rotated in strpix (compared to their position in Meta).

And downloaded editwad.

KingdomHearts
13-03-11, 11:15
Everytime i try to add an object to my wad WadMerger crashes with the following message :

Runtime error 9
Subscript out of range

I tried another wad and that worked fine. I tried copying using Shift and Copy and that worked. But after converting the game crashes .

sapper
14-03-11, 09:05
I don't seem to understand relations between alignment of particular meshes - at first, I suspected the root mesh must be at 0,0,0, but when You said "torso", which is Mesh1, I felt confused...
So I moved it, and the remaining meshes as well... But, on the contrary, now the patient looks a little bit... overintegrated, like no transplantation could help him at all:
http://i54.************/104p853.jpg

Did you move the mesh in Meta?
Also make sure you have corrected the meshtree first.

See each mesh selected in wadmerger for my dummy below.
The red, green, blue axes show the pivot point for each mesh.
Just focus at the moment on where the pivot point is for each mesh and not how all the pivot points are positioned relative to each other.
The pivot point for the head is at it's bottom, the pivot point for the torso is at it's bottom etc.
The pivot point on each mesh must be where you want the "hinge" for that mesh. The pivot point is where (0,0,0) for your mesh is in Meta.

Once you have each mesh's pivot point in Meta where you want it to hinge then you move each mesh in wadmerger so each mesh's pivot point is at the correct position relative to the parent mesh it is connecting to.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc94/nnn59/outfits/pivotmesh6.jpg http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc94/nnn59/outfits/pivotmesh3.jpg http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc94/nnn59/outfits/pivotmesh2.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc94/nnn59/outfits/pivotmesh1.jpg http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc94/nnn59/outfits/pivotmesh0.jpg

klona
14-03-11, 09:44
How can i make Teeth Spikes Trigger in 2 Seconds after Lara steps on the trigger? is it possible?
And how am i able to make a timed door?

DJ Full
14-03-11, 12:13
And all because I misunderstood the word "pivot". I thought it means "center" :vlol:. Adjusting.......

EDIT:

Gulp! Editwad window doesn't fully show on a widescreen monitor. Gotta movie syringes (and binoculars) to the laptop...

Titak
14-03-11, 12:46
Gulp! Editwad window doesn't fully show on a widescreen monitor. :confused:
Shows fine on my widescreen monitor.

DJ Full
14-03-11, 19:26
:confused:
Shows fine on my widescreen monitor.
Here, the whole right part of its window is inaccessible.
The laptop screen is 3:4, so everything is visible, and exporting to MQO (blue button) works fine - but "Import MQO" (also blue one) doesn't seem to work.

Juanchi
14-03-11, 20:24
Hello all :)

I have a problem with sfx, and it started when I change thun_rum sfx to custom sound.
The problem is when we are playing the level, before to ligthning, sounds like a telephone sound :S

I try to solve it with sfx edit, changing some parameters of the sound.. but nothing.
What can i do??

sapper
14-03-11, 22:56
Here, the whole right part of its window is inaccessible.
The laptop screen is 3:4, so everything is visible, and exporting to MQO (blue button) works fine - but "Import MQO" (also blue one) doesn't seem to work.

It might have to do with the font size or resolution.
Piega had the same problem.

I made the window for editwad not resizeable but it is a simple matter to make it resizeable so I will release a resizeable version.
Edit: editwad1_3resize.zip (http://www.4shared.com/file/aPXZODks/editwad1_3resize.html) (smaller download since contains no help documents)

BTW Use the green buttons to import/export meshes. The blue ones are for the normals only.

Also I think watching Cornchild's flash tutorials on trsearch again would be helpful.

DJ Full
15-03-11, 16:42
it is a simple matter to make it resizeable
As long as You know what to write for it to work. Sometimes I wish I knew programming...
Also I think watching Cornchild's flash tutorials on trsearch again would be helpful.This guy helped me many times. I remember one day when I had no net (just like now, ehhh) so I copied every step of his wad customization tutorial to MS Word (and I still have this version :D)

EDIT:

Oh, and I've finally encountered the "walking vertices"! In my case, it's modified uzis I told You about some days ago, which appear pretty misshaped in Strpix. Fortunately, this happened to me just after I read THIS:
The coordinates in the wad must be whole numbers so if a vertex's coordinates in Meta are not whole numbers they will be moved to a whole number. If you have non whole number coordinates in Meta, move them in Meta to the nearest whole number, so I already know what to do.

mudkip25
15-03-11, 17:02
Just wanted to say (I'm at school right now...) that I scrapped my level and I'm redoing it. :)

I won't be on TRF again until the end of the week though, I've got testing stuff to do. :D

TheLostValley
15-03-11, 18:56
Hi.

I have this strange issue with in-game textures. Everything look fine in the editor, but in-game parts of the texturing is just black like in the picture.

And the texture tga is only 961kb so I doubt it's that. Any ideas?

Thx

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd440/TheLostValley/txtrerror.jpg[/IMG]

Titak
15-03-11, 19:55
Could be that those part are the middle sections of a 256 high texture?
Because those do look okay in the NGLE but not ingame and are then replaced by another random texture.

TheLostValley
15-03-11, 20:15
Could be that those part are the middle sections of a 256 high texture?
Because those do look okay in the NGLE but not ingame and are then replaced by another random texture.

Yes that is true. So how could I work around that except not using textures that big?

The floor is made using a 256x256 texture (applied as 16 individual squares) and I haven't noticed any trouble in floor textures. Might this problem only apply to walls?

Thx

sapper
15-03-11, 23:02
As long as You know what to write for it to work. Sometimes I wish I knew programming...

All I had to do was change a 0 to a 1.

If you want to learn to program I suggest Python.
Lots of good free ebooks for beginners and can use with Blender and full Metasequoia.

This guy helped me many times. I remember one day when I had no net (just like now, ehhh) so I copied every step of his wad customization tutorial to MS Word (and I still have this version :D)

Cornchild's tutorials are like the TRLE tutorial. You get the most benefit by doing them every so often.
You learn about Meta, pivot points, how to move the meshes in wadmerger and how to use the animation wizard

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc94/nnn59/Strpix%20Beta/cchild.jpg

The flame texture is from Soul's Nonogram level.

@Soul I'm not using the texture in any level. I just extracted the objects to test my StrPix beta and used that wad when following Cornchild's tutorial.

RoxasKennedy
16-03-11, 18:20
Hello,
I decided to make some tutorial levels, so I decided to go for "Trip down a memory lane" style (don't worry, it won't be remakes, but something else:)),
and currently, I'm making a level based off Tomb of Qualopec.

Aaaand how do I setup the mummys near the throne so that one can stand there and one can fall like in the original game?

Titak
16-03-11, 18:31
Yes that is true. So how could I work around that except not using textures that big?

The floor is made using a 256x256 texture (applied as 16 individual squares) and I haven't noticed any trouble in floor textures. Might this problem only apply to walls?

ThxIt has to do with which section of the 256x256 texture is used.
A 256x256 textures is basically 4 128x128 together, right?
When you simply click on a texture it will select a 128x128 part automatically.
Now, if you click and drag, starting at the bottom half of the top 128x128 texture, down to halfway the bottom 128x128 texture (or something similar) you will get this problem.

Sections like this:
http://www.tombraiderhub.com/dstorage/titak/MoA/texture.jpg

Hello,
I decided to make some tutorial levels, so I decided to go for "Trip down a memory lane" style (don't worry, it won't be remakes, but something else:)),
and currently, I'm making a level based off Tomb of Qualopec.

Aaaand how do I setup the mummys near the throne so that one can stand there and one can fall like in the original game?Mummies in an animating slot and then the one that is supposed to fall is then triggered so it will perform the falling animation. :D

Have you checked the TR1 Qualopec wad? Those mummies might already be there in an animating slot. :D

TheLostValley
16-03-11, 19:23
@ Titak

Ahaa! as Lara would put it :D

Thank you for explaining, now I understand. :tmb:

Jewlz420
16-03-11, 19:53
i have a quick basic question about spot lighting's... i wanna make a light shine down from the top of my room.. so i click the spot light.. it comes up as a little light bulb upside down... then i place it and rotate the light mesh cones to point downward into the room but when i go into my level there isnt a spot light effect? :confused: am i doing it wrong???

Mytly
17-03-11, 18:41
The spot light can be a little tricky to work with. Make sure the end of the light mesh touches the surface you want the light to shine on, or else there will be no effect. Use the 'Len' and 'Cut' buttons to adjust the length of the mesh cone.

Laras Boyfr.
17-03-11, 19:00
Also press the "show light mesh" button in the LE window to see the direction and size of the light. ;)

Jewlz420
17-03-11, 21:42
okay thanks ^_^

DJ Full
20-03-11, 00:52
Heh! Got the net back! Finally...

I've encountered one more problem in WadMerger AnimationEditor, I mean when I was trying to move a mesh along one axis, it was moving along the other one as well. That was happening to a certain point, and from that point it was moving correctly. I needed a lot of trial and error (and Undo), but the the patient is working fine now... Whew! Gotta animate him now... For him to fit the soundtrack.

Actually, I am writing to report something different - it's ANIMATING 6 from original coastal.wad. You remember that room full of spikes deactivated by destroying targets? Yeah. A falling coin - KEY_ITEM1
http://i55.************/15ejp7a.jpg
- as soon as Lara approaches its slot (ANIMATING4)
http://i52.************/wgsjm.jpg.
I tried to figure out this setup. Surprisingly, I found out the falling coin is not a part of ANIMATING 4, but a yet another object - ANIMATING 6. And next, the thing I couldn't understand happened - I checked the triggers and I realized the trigger activating the falling animation is not for the coin itself - but for LARA, while ANIMATING6 is not even placed in the map. Is the falling coin animation related to Lara's animations or what? If it is, this is certainly the weirdest connection I've seen so far in trle.

EDIT:
I've just found that MAPPER in guard.wad. It's that thingy casting a vertical beam... but that version from cleopal.wad seems to be a nullmesh - something completely different - so the question remains unanswered.

I've already figured it out. It's for CLOCKWORK_BEETLE. Rotation determines the direction the beetle goes in. Two MAPPERS needed to specify where it has to stop. No matter which of them is used as a starting one.

EDIT2:
Oh, the beetle works with only one of them as well! And it triggers spikes even if it doesn't touch them! I haven't expected this to happen.

EDIT3:
Now it appears it's not MAPPER what stops the beetle, but that grey square appearing in the Plan View window after hitting the "B" button, whatever it means. So it seems the "B" square acts like "go" and MAPPER determines the exact direction. If no MAPPER is placed at all, the beetle goes North. If it finds another "B", it stops. If not - it gets out of the room and triggers various events, including those placed far away from its path. I don't know if it's lack of MAPPER, or CLOCKWORK_BEETLE getting out of the room what triggers those objects. But I think this weird behaviour may be useful for triggering multiple events.

EDIT4:
I know it's very likely all these things are well-known to You. I'm just sharing my little discoveries. A small step for a raider.

EDIT5:
BTW - and this IS a REALLY BASIC question - if someone writes a visitor message to me, am I supposed to rewrite on his/her profile or on mine, and he/she gets notified???

EDIT6:

BTW2 - Finally, I found some time to test all those advices You gave me to make that Patient animate. And I need to thank You once again - pivot points joined together perfectly, mesh tree is also correct now and it seems no more problems will occur in this field. So I decided to make that patient raise from hospital bed and sit down.
After making 2 sequences in AnimationWizard, what took me seconds, I realized they look unnatural. So I adjusted them manually, and the effect was incomparably better. Unfortunately, I forgot to move some joints in the middle of the move. I didn't want to further adjust all frames, beginning from the joint movement start point, and ending when it stops - well, I tried to do it, but I knew it's hopeless, because soon I got lost among many subsequent frames not presenting a smooth movement at all, and, what is more, having that joint moving back and forth - so I decided to remove all frames, lie back on my bed... and simulate the desired move several times, studying how all of my joints work while I bring myself to sitting position. I tried to care about each part of the move, for not to miss anything (for not to have to fix the unnoticed joints in the middle of the animation anymore):
First phase, when stomach muscles lift the spine.
Second phase, when forearms go horizontal and accumulate energy from lifted spine.
Third, when they curve towards each other and throw all force forwards, what finally raises the whole thing.

And so in that moment, I realized Animation Wizard has one major flaw - it calculates average speed of animation from distance of all movements (V=S/t), what causes the whole body to move like a robot. It doesn't count energy. If it could, frame by frame would have been unnecessary at all.

But it can't. So I tried not to mind Animation Wizard anymore and decided to make this anim frame by frame.

I spent 2 hours before I was satisfied with those... 10 frames. According to my calculations, 395 of them remain to finish this cutscene, what gives me no more, no less than 79 hours. Does it make sense? Or am I going too paranoid?

Mytly
20-03-11, 12:28
EDIT5:
BTW - and this IS a REALLY BASIC question - if someone writes a visitor message to me, am I supposed to rewrite on his/her profile or on mine, and he/she gets notified???

I can answer only the REALLY BASIC question. ;) You should write on his/her profile, and he/she will get the notification for an unread visitor message. Click on the 'view conversation' link at the bottom of any visitor message to see the whole exchange between you and that person.

Matie
20-03-11, 19:57
I downloaded this (http://www.trsearch.org/Items/468) baddy, which is originally ripped from TR2. Unfortunately they don't work right, they behave weird when they meet floors more than 1 click. They go halfway in the ground and act very strange (they slide in the floor towards Lara and one of their arms rotates quickly).
Also they don't damage Lara at all, even though the State IDs should be all right.

How would I go about fixing these?:o

DJ Full
23-03-11, 12:10
Hey. I haven't expected any problem with this, so I left it for last...
How to make a crowbar door work? It seems I have everything that is required:
CROWBAR_ITEM
CROWBAR_ANIM
DOOR_TYPE5 (that one from city.wad)
and, also
DOOR_TYPE4 (that one from coastal file), which I tested after the TYPE_5 failed. This 4th type doesn't seem to work as well.

CROWBAR_ITEM is made of two meshes - does it matter?

Laras Boyfr.
23-03-11, 13:17
Hey. I haven't expected any problem with this, so I left it for last...
How to make a crowbar door work? It seems I have everything that is required:
CROWBAR_ITEM
CROWBAR_ANIM
DOOR_TYPE5 (that one from city.wad)
and, also
DOOR_TYPE4 (that one from coastal file), which I tested after the TYPE_5 failed. This 4th type doesn't seem to work as well.

CROWBAR_ITEM is made of two meshes - does it matter?

If only the Item and not the Anim is made of 2 meshes it doesnt matter ( I use this method to put double pistols as an item ingame)

Every door slot works with it, if it has the right animations. For example the wooden door in the BTB2010 Wad has the Crowbar opening animations.

Note that you can open the crowbar door from only one side, so that might be your problem. Try to rotate the door ;)

DJ Full
23-03-11, 14:08
Thanks for the tip, but the door is rotated correctly. Must be something different.

Laras Boyfr.
23-03-11, 14:45
Thanks for the tip, but the door is rotated correctly. Must be something different.

Damn, I forgot to mention the most important thing xD
You need to put 2 in the OCB of the door :p

DJ Full
23-03-11, 21:56
Had no idea. Thanks.

Now I'm suffering from sound issues... Not only now, but from the very beginning. I decided to spend the two last days to solve them, because they seem to be similar for every single object. You know: impaled Lara shouting like a dying SAS, underwater bubble effect while an enemy is shooting, silence instead of a sound... Typical for a beginner...

...so DON'T help me until I read the tutorial. Because I haven't yet.

:}hello friend
24-03-11, 23:35
I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and had re-download Wadmerger. Whenever I try to start up Wadmerger, it says "COMDLG32.OCX is not currently registered: file is invalid or missing."

I downloaded the file, and the message still comes up?

DJ Full
25-03-11, 16:51
SEVERAL IMPORTANT AND NOT SO IMPORTANT QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERS BEFORE 26th

1. How can I get rid of multiple "Load" entries in the inventory?

2. How can I create a door accessible from both sides, without the invisible collision cube?

3. How can I apply a PUSHPULL_DOOR, KICK_DOOR or DOUBLE_DOORS that is not supposed to open at all? Is it a matter of OCBs?

4. Is there any way to prevent BADDY1 from drawing his uzi, other than removing all frames of a proper animation?

Matie
25-03-11, 17:10
1. How can I get rid of multiple "Load" entries in the inventory?

You have to give a name to the inventory items in the script. For example if you want to rename or set a new name for puzzle item 3, take a look at this line:

Puzzle= 3,Sphere,$0000,$0400,$0000,$0000,$0000,$0002

The number 3 is the ID of the item, that specifies it's puzzle item 3.
The second is where the name of the item goes. If it's something new which isn't in the Strings, you have to rename one of the entries (which you don't use) and change it to the name of your puzzle (it's Sphere in my example). Otherwise NG_Center will give you an error message that 'Sphere' isn't present in the Strings.
The numbers after that specify the position and the way the object rotates in the inventory.

All this can be done with keys and pickups too with the KEY= and PICKUP= commands (and quest items, if my memory serves me right).

2. How can I create a door accessible from both sides, without the invisible collision cube?

You can only do that if the door object is placed at a portal. It's not really possible if you're building in only one room, I'm afraid.:(

Laras Boyfr.
25-03-11, 17:20
You can only do that if the door object is placed at a portal. It's not really possible if you're building in only one room, I'm afraid.:(

You could also convert the door to an animating slot and place it in a single room. To open close it, the Force Animation flippeffects could be used.

Matie
25-03-11, 17:26
Good idea :tmb: I haven't thought about that.

Laras Boyfr.
25-03-11, 17:28
Sorry, post duplicate

DJ Full
25-03-11, 21:25
You could also convert the door to an animating slot and place it in a single room. To open close it, the Force Animation flippeffects could be used.

Nice! And this also solves the third problem - placing a static thing looking like a door should work. BTE, why didn't I think about it earlier? It seems getting advanced makes me forget about basic setups.

@Matie
I knew editing Strings, but I've never heard about "Puzzle=" command before. That's exactly what I wanted to know - how to tell the game which puzzle is which. Thank You.

Titak
25-03-11, 22:12
^
Do not forget to also put the name of that puzzle in the English.txt.
But if you are using NG_Center, you will get a warning anyway so you won't forget.

sapper
25-03-11, 23:23
4. Is there any way to prevent BADDY1 from drawing his uzi, other than removing all frames of a proper animation?

Set his CustomC item memory to 0 (or negative) with a variable flipeffect.
This sets his uzi ammo to zero so he won't draw his uzi.

Check the enemy script command in the reference also though, there may be something there.

Soul
26-03-11, 15:35
I'm asking this very basic question on behalf of another person, but as I never had this problem I have no idea what causes it:

This person just started with the editor and instead of objects just sees Laras butt. I think it might be related to a missing mesh, but it also happened to him when trying this object: http://www.trsearch.org/Items/2016 :confused:

Titak
26-03-11, 15:41
Tell that person to add that object to his/her levelwad and then use that levelwad and ONLY that levelwad in the TRLE, and also save the prj with that wad and output the tom of that same wad and convert that same wad to playable tr4.

The Lara buttmesh does indeed appear when objects go missing.
A common beginner's mistake is that they load other wads while working on a level and/or putput the wrong .tom, a .tom that does not belong to the wad they loaded in the TRLE.

Soul
26-03-11, 15:44
Ah, I see. Thanks a lot Titia! :tmb:

DJ Full
26-03-11, 21:02
Sapper - You save my Mesh0 again.

Concerning those Variables and GlobalTriggers, ForcingAnims and so on... Have anyone already discovered a way to trigger old, good FLIPEFFECT 30 (VON_CROY or GUIDE getting from AI_FOLLOW to next AI_FOLLOW) other than LARA herself passing the trigger zone?

This is probably one of my last problems requiring fast solution for ORC. The level is in stage of final touches.

The other issue is when I set PICKUP for flares and try to trigger a secret, I get a message "Cannot overlap special triggers". I used to think the trigger for secret isn't a special one, so I don't understand.

Laras Boyfr.
27-03-11, 06:19
Sapper - You save my Mesh0 again.

I lolled so much at this :vlol:
People cant understand it if they arent builders :p

The other issue is when I set PICKUP for flares and try to trigger a secret, I get a message "Cannot overlap special triggers". I used to think the trigger for secret isn't a special one, so I don't understand.

It isnt a special one.
Firstly place a PICKUP trigger for the flares on the same square.
Put 64 in the OCB of the flares.
Now create a TRIGGER for a secret (be sure by creating the trigger to select TRIGGER and not PICKUP or anything else)
Put the number of the secret in the Timer field and place it on the same square. It should work

RoxasKennedy
27-03-11, 10:54
How do I setup the camera, so it focuses on a door that I'm opening with a switch and not move when Lara does?

Titak
27-03-11, 14:23
Best way is to use a FIXED camera. :D

Place the camera near the door and trigger it (with a regular trigger) on the same tile as the switchtrigger and the trigger for the door.
Set the timer to 3 seconds or something like that.
Place a TARGET where the door is, or place it beyond the door, and trigger it on the same tile as the switchtrigger.
Set the trigger to target so the camera will look at the door instead of towards Lara.

You can also set the door as target but then the camera moves a bit when the door opens. (it then follows the movement of the door)

Totally offtopic, but is that "I forgot his real name atm..." :o as Horatio Cane from CSI Miami in your avatar? :D

RoxasKennedy
27-03-11, 14:53
Works! But camera stays there for a long time, but I could fix that.
Offtopic: Yes:D

Mystery-King
27-03-11, 14:59
Offtopic: It's Horatio Caine. My mum's heart-throb... :p

Ontopic: Where can I find all of Laras sounds from TR1 that don't require SFX editor to edit the sounds? I've tried the ones of TRsearch from TombRaiderTim (I think...) but they get all squeaky... anyone know or can help? :)

Laras Boyfr.
27-03-11, 15:00
Totally offtopic, but is that "I forgot his real name atm..." :o as Horatio Cane from CSI Miami in your avatar? :D

David Caruso, one of my favorite actors :D
The way he puts his sunglasses on and off makes me shiver =d
Someone really should make him as an outfit for trle :rolleyes:

Titak
27-03-11, 15:54
Works! But camera stays there for a long time, but I could fix that.
The timer in the trigger for the camera should fix that. :confused:

Also, I always think it is best to trigger a rollingball (placed on a slope) on the same tile as the switch trigger and then heavytrigger the camera and the target underneath the rollingball.
The rollingball should then roll off the triggers and should not land on the triggers one way or another either. This trick also fixes the "splitsecond" bug that camera's can have. :D

David Caruso, one of my favorite actors :D
The way he puts his sunglasses on and off makes me shiver =d
Someone really should make him as an outfit for trle :rolleyes:That's it! Thanks!
I was already getting annoyed, with the name on the tip of my tongue but still not remembering it. :vlol:

I like him too as Horatio Cane. Speaking of which: CSI Miami will be on TV this evening. :D

An H outfit. Poor guy, moving like Lara, all feminine... :vlol:

Ontopic: Where can I find all of Laras sounds from TR1 that don't require SFX editor to edit the sounds? I've tried the ones of TRsearch from TombRaiderTim (I think...) but they get all squeaky... anyone know or can help? :)I don't think there are any TR1 sounds out there that do not need to be edited in the sounds.txt. :(

Laras Boyfr.
27-03-11, 16:35
I like him too as Horatio Cane. Speaking of which: CSI Miami will be on TV this evening. :D

An H outfit. Poor guy, moving like Lara, all feminine... :vlol:

I watch it every Tuesday on the german television RTL :D

Im working anyway on Kurtis animations for my TLD project.I wouldnt mind to contribute the animations if someone gets it done :p

Titak
27-03-11, 16:41
:D

Mystery-King
27-03-11, 16:52
Oops, regarding the sound issues, turns out it was the forum effect. I'm fine now. :D

@Elio: Ooo, I've seen it on RTL too when I spent some time in Germany. Luckily I'd seent he episode in english so I knew what was going on... I can imagine a Horatio Outfit now... Instead of Lara draw guns from her holsters, it's Horatio drawing the glasses out of his pocket and putting them on. :p

Romantics Inc.
27-03-11, 18:32
EDIT: Nevermind!

thecentaur
27-03-11, 21:23
I installed the latest version of my graphics card (i.e. latest driver) and NGLE works perfect now ^o^

EDIT: well maybe not perfect, lol, but much better than before ;p

Romantics Inc.
28-03-11, 00:32
Okay, help would be much appreciated. My Flyby sequence loops. Even though I have checked the "6" on the first camera, and even the last camera! How can I get it to stop?

Level NextGen
28-03-11, 00:54
Have you tick One Shot in trigger? Plus have you tick 2 in your Flyby? If yes untick it's to loop the camera!
Ahh! and finally have you applied number 6 to your first camera? :p

Edit : Have you ever read so many "Have you" questions? :whi:

Romantics Inc.
28-03-11, 01:22
Yes, I said I applied 6. I'll try this "one shot" I think i remember something about that thank you!

It worked THANK YOOUU!

Level NextGen
28-03-11, 01:41
You're welcome :D... I read you applied number 6 on your camera but I wanna be sure it was on the FIRST camera, because you could have applied it on the 2nd or the last (who the hell know :p) and I think it doesn't work in this case!?
But it wasn't that, Nevermind! :p

sapper
28-03-11, 06:13
Concerning those Variables and GlobalTriggers, ForcingAnims and so on... Have anyone already discovered a way to trigger old, good FLIPEFFECT 30 (VON_CROY or GUIDE getting from AI_FOLLOW to next AI_FOLLOW) other than LARA herself passing the trigger zone?

Well you can export the Oldflip flipeffects as Script triggers so I guess you can trigger them however you want, never tried though.

I've started studying VC's custom fields but no info yet (other than you can shoot his head with the revolver just like as for skeleton). The next AI follow he goes to might be stored in one of the custom fields.

BTW I just realised that your tutorial crowbar really is a crow bar!

klona
28-03-11, 15:05
Hello, can anyone tell me how can i make timed doors? :)

Mytly
28-03-11, 19:35
Add the time you want the door to remain open for (in seconds) in the 'timer' field of the trigger for the door. If you are opening the door using a switch, then the add the time in the switch trigger, not the trigger for the door, as you can't overlap special triggers.