PDA

View Full Version : Open TRLE Chat - Basic Questions, Inquiries, & Help Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74

Mystery-King
03-05-11, 22:19
Hmm... interesting workaround. Thanks. :)

DJ Full
03-05-11, 22:27
Keep in mind these enemies can only destroy shatters placed in a specified slot (possibly SHATTER9, but I don't remember for sure)

EDIT:
How can I set animation range for several 128x128 textures?

EDIT2:
I've just noticed I can't add the 6th rope to my level. Is this normal?

EDIT3: Never mind EDIT1.

FloTheMachine
08-05-11, 15:28
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz217/sethgreene/HowToFillThisRoom.jpg

Any help would be apreciated. :D

Tjw croft
08-05-11, 15:37
Define fill up? If you ask me, it looks kinda full of "Wada" (As my crazy physics teacher Doc Boyle would say)

FloTheMachine
08-05-11, 15:39
As in... make look less empty.

Tjw croft
08-05-11, 15:41
Maybe some broken columns, or some statues near the base of the stairs. Not too much though. It actually doesn't look too bad being open.

FloTheMachine
08-05-11, 15:42
Okay. :)
I'll post a screen of the difference in a bit. :D

Tjw croft
08-05-11, 15:43
yayy:)

Mytly
08-05-11, 19:27
IMO, that 'floral' tile texture on the bottom three steps doesn't really work as a floor texture. Why not use the same texture as the top step? In any case, it doesn't look particularly empty to me. It looks good. :)

Titak
08-05-11, 19:45
IMO, that 'floral' tile texture on the bottom three steps doesn't really work as a floor texture. Why not use the same texture as the top step? This. :D

Doesn't look all that empty to me either.

I do think the mixture of Egyptian and Peruvian/Mayan textures looks odd...
But they do fit together colourwise.
Is there a reason you are using both these cultures together?

DJ Full
08-05-11, 20:50
I'm glad You're building the next level. I've found Lost Kai-Len very nice, and it was a shame it was so short. Will You make the full version someday?

For me, the texture in the middle of the wall looks a little bit too heavy. Like a row of pillars supporting something lighter than columns themselves. What if You rotated it 90 degrees?

But no, it's definitely not empty. If You take Tjw croft's advice to apply some broken floor tiles, You can make something stick out of the openings - maybe some crystals (would be very fast-growing ones :D) or roots... there are beings on Earth that are half plants and half rocks. They could live in Your level, fitting already mixed Peruvian and Egyptian textures... BTW, if Titak didn't point it out, I would have never noticed those tiles are from two different cultures.

Wanna see something really empty? HERE YOU ARE:

http://i55.************/1sxunq.jpg

This is from my rope test level. I've just spent over an hour swinging back and forth, back and forth, and it seems it's impossible to swing further than indicated - even with help of Super Swing. Could anyone confirm this?

!Lara Croft!
09-05-11, 05:11
This. :D

Dont forget greek...

Yeah, unless its on purpose...its unwise to mix textures from different cultures in 1 temple.

Titak
09-05-11, 09:23
Dont forget greek...Ah, I thought so but wasn't very sure.
The square ornamental strip below the edge of the pool, on the walls would be Greek.

disapearing-boy
09-05-11, 12:45
As in... make look less empty.

I often find I build big empty rooms that look fine in the editor but too empty in game. It's easy to forget how small Lara is..;)

So I would suggest making the room a bit smaller, lower the ceiling too.. A simple change like that makes all the difference. Also, instead of having a water surface everywhere, just make a hole in the ceiling where Lara can get air, and then have a ceiling for the rest of the room. And when you have a ceiling, you can have pillars that stretch from floor to ceiling. This means you can't see the whole room at once and makes the player want to explore it. Your room will look less empty then. I like the plant you have, if there's plant life then there may be fishes too, so consider adding them too. A place always feels more old when nature has invaded it.:D

As for the textures, there's too much happening. When I replayed the classic games I was amazed how they used very few textures in one room, sometimes less is more.

Hope that helps.

Titak
09-05-11, 12:56
sometimes less is more.
So very true. :tmb:

Says she who has stuffed her levels with objects...
But when I do stuff my levels with objects I do make the objects blend in as much as possible by giving them similar textures that fit with the walls, floor and ceiling textures. This avoids the "haphazard" look that some stuffed levels have and it applies to both objects and the textures used.
Many different textures per level? Many colourfull textures? Sure is possible but one should take care that they fit well together to avoid overkill. :D

FloTheMachine
09-05-11, 19:12
I'm glad You're building the next level. I've found Lost Kai-Len very nice, and it was a shame it was so short. Will You make the full version someday?

For me, the texture in the middle of the wall looks a little bit too heavy. Like a row of pillars supporting something lighter than columns themselves. What if You rotated it 90 degrees?

But no, it's definitely not empty. If You take Tjw croft's advice to apply some broken floor tiles, You can make something stick out of the openings - maybe some crystals (would be very fast-growing ones :D) or roots... there are beings on Earth that are half plants and half rocks. They could live in Your level, fitting already mixed Peruvian and Egyptian textures... BTW, if Titak didn't point it out, I would have never noticed those tiles are from two different cultures.

Wanna see something really empty? HERE YOU ARE:

http://i55.************/1sxunq.jpg

This is from my rope test level. I've just spent over an hour swinging back and forth, back and forth, and it seems it's impossible to swing further than indicated - even with help of Super Swing. Could anyone confirm this?

I'm glad you liked my Kail Len Monastery Level. :D
It was a lot of fun to make, but I don't use the unofficial editor anymore, I've converted to TRNG :D

I may remake it in TR4 someday...
(not trying to copy wdavid's steps here... >_> )

This. :D

Yes... but I'm not telling why. :p

KingdomHearts
10-05-11, 18:02
I downloaded this Sprite Pack made by LevelNextGen .

http://www.trsearch.org/Items/3634

I wonder how to install them because there is no wad :o .

Titak
10-05-11, 18:57
You load the images into your own DEFAULT_SPRITES object with WADMerger.
Select the object in WADMerger and click the Sprite Editor button.
An windo appears in which you can import the new sprite images one by one. :D

tomb2player
13-05-11, 13:05
I don't know, how to make end stats window, when lara ends level... :hea:
It only drop me to main menu, without stats window... any ideas? :)

Matie
13-05-11, 13:10
It cannot be done with the original TRLE, but you can force the game to show it with a flippeffect using TREP (unfortunately I can't remember the exact method) and TRNG (Statistics. Show statistic screen flipeffect).

tomb2player
13-05-11, 13:52
Hm... so do anybody know how to make End Stats using TREP/Flipeffects?

Kapu
14-05-11, 19:05
SHOW_STATS is the command. ;)

mudkip25
16-05-11, 01:56
Would there be consequences to multiple sun bulbs in a room? I'm getting warnings about them but nothing's happened yet. I'm just paranoid since I'm very far into building something. :)

Titak
16-05-11, 11:07
The editor does indeed give a warning when there's more than 1 sunbulb in a room, but I've used 2 per room in some HM level and also in some MoA rooms and all works fine. :D

I don't know how many you can place in one room before running into trouble.

mudkip25
16-05-11, 13:15
I'll just stick with two then and split rooms up if I have to. :)

xXApelaumXx
17-05-11, 18:48
I don't really know if this is the correct place to ask, but I was looking for Draco's TREP custom patches, but it seems that TREP's website is down. Does anyone know where to find it? Thanks in advance.

Titak
17-05-11, 18:55
TREP website (http://trep.trlevel.de/en/index.html) works for me.

xXApelaumXx
17-05-11, 18:59
Well, it isn't working for me. :confused:

Soul
17-05-11, 19:01
What exactly isn't working?

-> Everything works perfectly for me...

xXApelaumXx
17-05-11, 21:43
It shows me "connection timeout". Maybe because it's '.de' ...

klona
20-05-11, 16:25
Can anyone tell me some Nice Atmospheric levels?

Atlantisfreak
21-05-11, 14:49
how exactly do i use the extra slots? Because i've tried renaming them to extra 0, 1 etc. and copied them into the extra slot, but i just get a dublette of another object in the static slot ex, i have all static slots occupied and i get another DEBRIS 0, 1 etc.

Matie
21-05-11, 14:54
The slot you have to rename are those doubled slots. Rename the second one to the EXTRA slot number you originally wanted to copy it to and it will work.:)

Atlantisfreak
21-05-11, 14:57
The slot you have to rename are those doubled slots. Rename the second one to the EXTRA slot number you originally wanted to copy it to and it will work.:)

Oh, i could have sworn i tried that and it didn't work... *goes to try again*

Atlantisfreak
21-05-11, 15:22
Okay, how do i rename the doubled slot? i tried to click on it twice, but nothing happens?:confused:

EDIT- I didn't realise i had to press the rename button XD it works fine now:p thanks matie:)

Mystery-King
21-05-11, 16:40
Silly ol' me! Can someone please upload the original sounds.txt file please? I've accidentally messed around with some things. Guess this will teach me to make backups. :o :L Thanks. :)

Matie
21-05-11, 16:43
@ Atlantisfreak: you're welcome:)

@ Mystery-King: here you go: click (http://www.4shared.com/document/HskYhF7O/Sounds.html)!

Mystery-King
21-05-11, 16:45
@ Atlantisfreak: you're welcome:)

@ Mystery-King: here you go: click (http://www.4shared.com/document/HskYhF7O/Sounds.html)!

Thanks Matie! :D

Atlantisfreak
21-05-11, 19:14
i need more help, i just made a nice logo in photoshop that i wanna use in the game, what format do i save it as and what do i do to get it to work in game?

Mytly
21-05-11, 19:32
Save it in .bmp and .raw formats. Then follow the instructions on page 65 of the manual 'Changing Load Screen Graphics' to convert it into the .pak format (i.e. uklogo.pak).

Atlantisfreak
21-05-11, 20:21
but photoshop can't save as .bmp and i don't think that the .raw format in photoshop is the same i need right now... isn't there like a program or something that can help? because i only have the bmp right now, i converted the jpg image of the logo... how do i get the raw one?

Titak
21-05-11, 20:27
but photoshop can't save as .bmpExcuse me? Why not? The mighty Photoshop not being able to save in one of the most common picture files formats? :confused:

I can save as BMP with my Photoshop 7 version.
So why doesn't it work for you?

Atlantisfreak
21-05-11, 20:30
Excuse me? Why not? The mighty Photoshop not being able to save in one of the most common picture files formats? :confused:

I can save as BMP with my Photoshop 7 version.
So why doesn't it work for you?

i dunno :/

http://imageshack.us/m/37/594/optionsa.png

those are my options and i have Photoshop CS5

Titak
21-05-11, 20:41
That's all it can save? :confused:
Okay... that's odd I think.

Don't you have another paint programm that can save as BMP then?
There's probably some downloadable (free and legal download) program around somewhere that can do the conversion to BMP for you. :D

Mytly
21-05-11, 20:42
That's extremely strange - why wouldn't Photoshop be able to save as .bmp? :confused: Anyway, just save as .jpg, and plain old Paint should be able to convert it to .bmp.

If you're having problems making the logo, try using a program called TR Custom Screens (downloadable from here (http://www.skribblerz.com/editortools.htm)). It just requires a .bmp file, no .raw file.

(Just a small warning - it used to work fine on my PC, then my anti-virus decided it had a trojan, and now it keeps deleting it. The same might happen to you.)

Atlantisfreak
21-05-11, 20:50
That's all it can save? :confused:
Okay... that's odd I think.

Don't you have another paint programm that can save as BMP then?
There's probably some downloadable (free and legal download) program around somewhere that can do the conversion to BMP for you. :D

maybe it requires some plugin with my version...?
I do have paint tho so i'll be able to get that bitmap file anywat though:D

That's extremely strange - why wouldn't Photoshop be able to save as .bmp? :confused: Anyway, just save as .jpg, and plain old Paint should be able to convert it to .bmp.

If you're having problems making the logo, try using a program called TR Custom Screens (downloadable from here (http://www.skribblerz.com/editortools.htm)). It just requires a .bmp file, no .raw file.

(Just a small warning - it used to work fine on my PC, then my anti-virus decided it had a trojan, and now it keeps deleting it. The same might happen to you.)

i have that program already:D i didn't realise that it was for that :p I'm so stupid >.<

Atlantisfreak
21-05-11, 22:08
sorry for double post but it wouldn't update otherwise:p I just wanna know, is there a way to enable trancparency for the logo, because my logo turn out like this:

http://imageshack.us/m/21/8942/letrancparency.png

you see those black things? they're not meant to be there!

Titak
21-05-11, 22:21
Not possible. :(
It is either completely opaque or completely transparant (RGB=0,0,0)

Laras Boyfr.
22-05-11, 05:06
Not possible. :(

Well, you could remove the black borders of the logo and show a semitransparent sprite of the logo where the whole font is black. So a kind of shadow will be added to the logo. Also more sprites can be added to enforce or less the opacity of a color. Of course this is just possible with TRNG 1.2.2.4 and (soon) higher. ;)

Titak
22-05-11, 09:43
Ah, yes. A workaround. :D

Can it be made to fade out like that though? I don't think so...
You'll still have pretty sharp edges, right? Even when it is made semi-transparant.

HURLEYstickmen
23-05-11, 14:31
Hi again. :wve:
Sorry if this counts as spam, but I still need some TR1 SFX for
my level. Basically, I need all the ones from the Egypt levels.
Please reply if you can extract the sounds. I'll credit you. :3

PS: I need all of Lara's sounds AND the weapon SFX too. :)

God Horus
23-05-11, 14:40
It's not easy to get these sounds, especially from TR1. I've looked and tried before.

dizzydoil
23-05-11, 14:44
Hi again. :wve:
Sorry if this counts as spam, but I still need some TR1 SFX for
my level. Basically, I need all the ones from the Egypt levels.
Please reply if you can extract the sounds. I'll credit you. :3

PS: I need all of Lara's sounds AND the weapon SFX too. :)

How about these? Do these work? http://www.trsearch.org/Items/2813

I don't know what is included in the pack, but I hope it's got Lara's sounds and the weapon SFX too. :)

HURLEYstickmen
23-05-11, 16:07
How about these? Do these work? http://www.trsearch.org/Items/2813

I don't know what is included in the pack, but I hope it's got Lara's sounds and the weapon SFX too. :)
I've already got those sounds, sorry. I actually need the Uzi sound, some door sounds
and switch sounds, if that's OK. :o

Tjw croft
23-05-11, 17:03
What you could do is go in with TRViewer, and have an audiorecording program set to record straight from your soundcard. Then just record the right sounds, and cut them to the right length. This implies that you have a copy of the game for PC.

HURLEYstickmen
23-05-11, 17:33
What you could do is go in with TRViewer, and have an audiorecording program set to record straight from your soundcard. Then just record the right sounds, and cut them to the right length. This implies that you have a copy of the game for PC.
That might be a bit too complicated, because I'm having my own problem atm...

There's this texture glitch that I can't get rid of. The textures are scrolling. Here's a screenie:
http://i.imgur.com/5STXQ.png

Help please! D: :hea:

Titak
23-05-11, 17:43
Unwanted scrolling textures on objects often appear when there's one or more waterfalls in the wad.
Get rid of the waterfalls if you don't need them. Another thing that has helped me for a reason I don't know is adding the PLANET_EFFECT to the wad.

HURLEYstickmen
23-05-11, 17:56
Unwanted scrolling textures on objects often appear when there's one or more waterfalls in the wad.
Get rid of the waterfalls if you don't need them. Another thing that has helped me for a reason I don't know is adding the PLANET_EFFECT to the wad.
Hmmm... I'll see what I can do, TY (Thank You) :)

Mystery-King
23-05-11, 18:31
Yesterday I was working on a level and stupidly converted the level while a room had the hide objects button on and obviously it wouldn't work. So I went back to a previous save (which was fine before) and converted it. It converted fine but the second I hit the tomb4.exe an error report comes up saying that info has been saved into Last_Crash1 or something like that... and the you removed CRS line and should newly enable that. So I put CRS= Enabled into my script and that did nothing... and the crash report had this written in it (not on my laptop right now so can't get it all...)

CRASH REASON: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Any help please?
(I'm using TRNG MK1 probs should have posted there actually...)

HURLEYstickmen
23-05-11, 18:49
Yeah, I'm back again, and I've had this problem, for a while now, where I can't make water
animate. :( Any ideas? :confused:

skylark1121
23-05-11, 18:57
Yesterday I was working on a level and stupidly converted the level while a room had the hide objects button on and obviously it wouldn't work. So I went back to a previous save (which was fine before) and converted it. It converted fine but the second I hit the tomb4.exe an error report comes up saying that info has been saved into Last_Crash1 or something like that... and the you removed CRS line and should newly enable that. So I put CRS= Enabled into my script and that did nothing... and the crash report had this written in it (not on my laptop right now so can't get it all...)

The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Any help please?
(I'm using TRNG MK1 probs should have posted there actually...)

When you get a chance, post your whole crash report. It sounds like a problem I may have had before.

Mystery-King
23-05-11, 21:35
Heres my error report:

Version=1.2.0.7
CRS=Disabled
Last diagnostic mexage:Unable To Open %s
Last directX error:
START_P1:10017BD7
END_P1:10048655
START_P2:10054DF8
END_P2:1006E51E
START_P3:10074C47
END_P3:1009F721
START_P4:10005B67
END_P4:1000DBE4
EXTRA_INFO: VIOLATION ON READ AT OFFSET 0xA
RECOVERABLE : YES
CRASH OFFSET: 0x450BA3
REGISTERS:
EAX=38
EBX=0
ECX=0
EDX=0
ESI=0
EDI=0
EBP=12FFA0
EIP=450BA3
ESP=12FEC4
DYNAMIC POINTER LIST:
------------------------------------------
00000000:Camera_Room
00000000:Camera_TargetRoom
0012FF2C:BaseSalvaStack1
90909090:BaseSalvaStack2
90909090:BaseSalvaStack3
MEMORY USAGE
VetNemiciPunta memory <EMPTY: never used>
StructEnemyArray memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaFXBulbNemici memory <EMPTY: never used>
VettorePerFogBulb memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaDynamicLights memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaSceneMemory memory <EMPTY: never used>
VetEditObjects memory <EMPTY: never used>
Mex_savegame_Argd memory is full at 3.13 (Used 0x8 bytes)
ZonaParticelle memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaGameStruttureMesh memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaPuntatoriGameStruttureMesh memory <EMPTY: never used>
VetMexNomiWav memory is full at 99.66 (Used 0x3FC8 bytes)
ZonaFogBulbs memory <EMPTY: never used>
Zona5Corde memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaDebris memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaItemInStanza memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaUsataPerFireSpark memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaDiSmokeSpark memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaRecordGunShell memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaQuattroSample memory <EMPTY: never used>
RecordSpriteSangue memory <EMPTY: never used>
RecordSpriteEsplosione memory <EMPTY: never used>
SpritePerFuoco memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaTextureAnimate memory <EMPTY: never used>
SaveGame_220_DatiMoveables memory <EMPTY: never used>
VettoreAttivaFlipMaps memory <EMPTY: never used>
VettoreFlagFlipMaps memory <EMPTY: never used>
ZonaFlyCameras memory <EMPTY: never used>
VetByteFlyCamera memory <EMPTY: never used>
VetFlyCameraByteAltro memory <EMPTY: never used>

Stack=0x12FEC4 pContesto=0x12FBF8 pInfoEccezione=0x12FBDC
PRIMARY_STACK:
ESP=0x12FEC4
STACK_TRACE:
0x48D35B
0x48C75D
0x48C76D
0x4A0276
0x4A5A57
0x49F26B
0x49DF08
0x49F18B
END_STACK_TRACE

SECONDARY_STACK:
ESP=0x90904270
STACK_TRACE:
<CRASH DURING STACK TRACE>
END_STACK_TRACE

OTHER_STACK:
ESP=0x90904270
STACK_TRACE:
<CRASH DURING STACK TRACE>
END_STACK_TRACE

FloTheMachine
23-05-11, 21:39
Last diagnostic mexage:Unable To Open %

I think this is the problem (punch me if I'm wrong :o )
I had a similar error when I added some messed up samples, maybe you recently added new samples to your level?

Mystery-King
23-05-11, 22:08
Now that you mention it I had used some tr1 sounds in a previous level (you had to change the pitch in the sounds.txt file) but I then pasted over it with the original sounds again and the original sounds.txt file so everything I think was back in order. I think I had a couple of successful conversions before the whole hdie-objects-drama and after pasting the samples back in again so I'm not sure. How did you fix it? :)

FloTheMachine
23-05-11, 22:18
Well that may not be the fix, but if you want to try, get a new Samples folder off someone. I'll zip mine up for you now if you'd like. :p

Mystery-King
24-05-11, 06:42
Thanks, I copied it over but I'm still getting the same problem. And now when I open NG Center, it's telling me I'm missing the English Script File in my folder, even though I can blatently see it's in its normal place and I haven't tampered with it. Any ideas? :(

HURLEYstickmen
24-05-11, 12:55
I want to make my water animate, but it won't work. Any know-how on how to fix it? :(

Titak
24-05-11, 17:45
Exactly what have you done so far?
Which size are your water texturetiles?
Are you using TRLE or NGLE?

HURLEYstickmen
26-05-11, 09:16
Exactly what have you done so far?
Which size are your water texturetiles?
Are you using TRLE or NGLE?
I'm using NGLE, with 64x64 textures, and I've set the anim range, and I don't know what
else to do. :(

Titak
26-05-11, 14:13
If you are sure you set the animationrange, no idea what could be wrong. :o

How many textures does the animationrange contain?
(Because the maximum amount of textures per range is 16 as far as I know)
Is it the only animationrange or do you have more assigned?

What has helped me in some cases is applying the textures in a seperate room that Lara can't get into. Just put each texture on a tile somewhere in this room. Doesn't have to be in transparant mode or on a watersurface.

HURLEYstickmen
27-05-11, 12:11
If you are sure you set the animationrange, no idea what could be wrong. :o

How many textures does the animationrange contain?
(Because the maximum amount of textures per range is 16 as far as I know)
Is it the only animationrange or do you have more assigned?

What has helped me in some cases is applying the textures in a seperate room that Lara can't get into. Just put each texture on a tile somewhere in this room. Doesn't have to be in transparant mode or on a watersurface.
It contains 4 textures, and it's the only range. I guess I could try your method, but if it
doesn't work, I'll have to go without water textures. I've put the textures in 2 rooms so
far (3 if you count the flipped room) and they appear to be still, not animating. :(

Also, I want to edit the pitches of my levels sounds. Any idea on how to do this? I won't
use Screamer 'coz it messes up the sounds, and makes me Scream (sort of) :p:confused:

Titak
27-05-11, 14:42
It contains 4 textures, and it's the only range. I guess I could try your method, but if it
doesn't work, I'll have to go without water textures. I've put the textures in 2 rooms so
far (3 if you count the flipped room) and they appear to be still, not animating. :(And you are using AnimType "frames" I assume?
4 textures is not a lot and if it is the only range then that shouldn't be the problem.

Also, I want to edit the pitches of my levels sounds. Any idea on how to do this? I won't
use Screamer 'coz it messes up the sounds, and makes me Scream (sort of) :p:confused:
Screamer does not mess up sounds unless you do something that Screamer doesn't like. So instead of saying it messes up sounds (which it doesn't since it works well for many people, including myself) you could post your problem and then someone else might have an idea of making it work right for you too. :p

Anyway, there are two sound related tutorials in our tutorials section (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=151774).
At least one of them deals with manually changing the pitch in the sounds.txt.

Another way to change the pitch would be to change it in some audio editing program.

Dino14
28-05-11, 16:59
My waterfall mist look ugly when I placed with its blunt end next to a wall. Is any way to fix this? :confused:

Mytly
28-05-11, 20:02
No, there's no way. If you're using TRNG, you can set the OCB of the mist so that it is on the middle of the tile, not the end, but then it won't align properly with the waterfall.

tomb2player
28-05-11, 21:14
I have a bit strange problem with Audio's and "CD" triggers... :o The problem is that i can't put more than one same audio in my level... For example, i put trigger for CD#1 to my level in ... level start. And it plays. But when the same CD#1 trigger (for same audio) is somewhere later, it doesn't play...

So the question is: Does the same audio sample may be used in level multiple times, or only once? If yes, how to do that? :) :confused:

Mytly
28-05-11, 21:38
That's not a strange problem - it's perfectly normal. Generally speaking, the same audio track can be used only one. Audio tracks numbered above 100 (I think) can be reused and loop infinitely until another track is triggered. There's a way to get around this limitation - see page 72 in the manual. Or, if you're using TRNG, just use the audio flipeffects instead of the CD triggers.

klona
29-05-11, 13:42
I tried using a FOG BULB, it's not working... can anyone help me? :)

Matie
29-05-11, 13:47
Turn on Volumetric FX in the setup and the fog should become visible. Also try activating a flipeffect in the beginning of the level to set the colour of the fog bulb.:)

klona
29-05-11, 13:56

wdavid
29-05-11, 16:15
what is the ocb to the valve in the switch_type1 slot?:o
i want lara to turn it but so far she doesn't do a thing:)

FloTheMachine
29-05-11, 16:44
The one from the BtB 2010 wad?

Titak
29-05-11, 17:26
what is the ocb to the valve in the switch_type1 slot?:o
i want lara to turn it but so far she doesn't do a thing:)Check Switch Manager in WADMerger and find the OCB for the valve. I think it is one of the OCB3 ones.

wdavid
29-05-11, 18:30
thank you Titia i'll check it out :hug::D

The one from the BtB 2010 wad?

it's from Trsearch :D

tomb2player
01-06-11, 17:32
Is there possible to set FPS ( frames per second ) limit in game? ;)

skylark1121
01-06-11, 17:38
Is it possible to make circular rooms in the editor? I've been trying to find a way, and so far, no luck. Is it possible? :)

Titak
01-06-11, 19:11
Is there possible to set FPS ( frames per second ) limit in game? ;)Not sure what you mean.
The only thing I know that has to do with FPS is that you can set the FPS for animationranges in the NGLE.

Is it possible to make circular rooms in the editor? I've been trying to find a way, and so far, no luck. Is it possible? :)Not possible. It's all blocks with the TRLE.
You'll have to make an object if you want a circular room. But that can be tricky collision wise. You'll have to use multiple static objects with collision to simulate the roundness.

tomb2player
01-06-11, 19:24
I meant FPS in game :o , standard is 30.

tomb2player
03-06-11, 14:16
I have some question about baddies and their slots in Wadmerger. Is there a possibility to convert enemy on the SAS slot, to other one, for example small_scorpion? :confused:

Titak
03-06-11, 15:04
I meant FPS in game :o , standard is 30.You can't change that.
Out of curiosity, why would you want to change it anyway? 30 FPS is fast enough.

I have some question about baddies and their slots in Wadmerger. Is there a possibility to convert enemy on the SAS slot, to other one, for example small_scorpion? :confused:Well, if you are using TRNG, then there's the AssignSlot= script. You can make something in another slot behave exactly as in the original slot.
So you could put another version of the SAS (different looking guy) in the small-scorpion slot and with the script that small-scorpion slot will then behave and move just like the original SAS.

I've done this with TEETH_SPIKES. I wanted two different types of spikes so I put one version in the FLOOR4_BLADE slot and with the script made it so they acted just like the original TEETH_SPIKES. :D
AssignSlot= FLOOR_4BLADE, TEETH_SPIKES ; Spikes in Floor-4blade slot act like teethspikes

Phlip
07-06-11, 21:11
I'm right in saying TRA Retold Peru is the only part that's out, right? :o

deskj
07-06-11, 21:13
I'm right in saying TRA Retold Peru is the only part that's out, right? :o
yep

tomb2player
11-06-11, 20:18
Titak:
Well, if you are using TRNG, then there's the AssignSlot= script. You can make something in another slot behave exactly as in the original slot.
So you could put another version of the SAS (different looking guy) in the small-scorpion slot and with the script that small-scorpion slot will then behave and move just like the original SAS.

I've done this with TEETH_SPIKES. I wanted two different types of spikes so i put one version in the FLOOR4_BLADE slot and with the script made it so they acted just like the original TEETH_SPIKES.
Code:

AssignSlot= FLOOR_4BLADE, TEETH_SPIKES ; Spikes in Floor-4blade slot act like teethspikes

It doesn't work for me. All what i did: I put new SAS enemy to SAS_MIP in wadmerger, I put it to the level, compiled, put in NG_Center this: AssignSlot= SAS_MIP, SAS , and in game it has wrong animations... :/
What i do wrong?

EDIT: okay... i had old TRNG version, now i updated and it works! :>

Dunnut7
11-06-11, 21:53
I won't ask this in the 'Texture Request Thread', because no one will answer-_-

Does anyone know where the TRA Textures are? I only found:
Peru: http://www.trsearch.org/Items/3386
http://www.trsearch.org/Items/2773

Atlantis: http://www.trsearch.org/Items/2979

But where are the Greece and Egypt textures?
And the Atlantis texture look real grainy..

Titak
11-06-11, 22:14
Titak:

It doesn't work for me. All what i did: I put new SAS enemy to SAS_MIP in wadmerger, I put it to the level, compiled, put in NG_Center this: AssignSlot= SAS_MIP, SAS , and in game it has wrong animations... :/
What i do wrong?

EDIT: okay... i had old TRNG version, now i updated and it works! :>
So it works with ***_MIP slots as well. Cool! :tmb:
Does the enemie have collision? Because MIP slots don't have them when placing another object in them.

AgentXP
11-06-11, 23:20
I won't ask this in the 'Texture Request Thread', because no one will answer-_-

Does anyone know where the TRA Textures are? I only found:
Peru: http://www.trsearch.org/Items/3386
http://www.trsearch.org/Items/2773

Atlantis: http://www.trsearch.org/Items/2979

But where are the Greece and Egypt textures?
And the Atlantis texture look real grainy..

Look at the bottom of this page: http://www.skribblerz.com/textures.htm :)

tomb2player
11-06-11, 23:32
Hm.. no, on the MIP slots it dont work ;) , I thought that it could work, because when i written this post, i used old TRNG, where AssignSlot command didn't worked with enemies. So i did many tests, tried many slots :)

Titak
12-06-11, 14:28
Not on MIPs... too bad. Would have been a nice use for them.
So, out of curiosity, which slot are you now using?

tomb2player
12-06-11, 14:37
Scorpion, SAS_Captain, and Animating4 :)

And there is another trouble. Enemies in Baddy_2 slot needs also Meshswap_2.
In NG_Center txt file about AssignSlot script it's explained how to do that. But for me, it works only with Animating4 slot. All other slots don't work for this type of enemys, and in game enemys has wrong animations. Enemys on the SAS slot works fine with other slots, but they must have the same animations as enemy in normal SAS slot.

Phlip
12-06-11, 15:02
Does anyone else when playing patched.exe LE games just simply get a tomb4.exe isn't working? I do quite a lot of the time. :( Is there any way of getting around it or will it just simply not work?

Titak
12-06-11, 16:34
Scorpion, SAS_Captain, and Animating4 :)

And there is another trouble. Enemies in Baddy_2 slot needs also Meshswap_2.
In NG_Center txt file about AssignSlot script it's explained how to do that. But for me, it works only with Animating4 slot. All other slots don't work for this type of enemys, and in game enemys has wrong animations. Enemys on the SAS slot works fine with other slots, but they must have the same animations as enemy in normal SAS slot.Well, ofcourse they have to have the same animations, because that's what AssignSlot= does. It makes objects in other slots, which by default aren't compatible with each other, behave the same. So animations and meshtrees and all that should be the same. AssignSlot should therefore be used to get different looking enemies where you would otherwise see the same guy over and over again. Or, like in my case, the same teeth-spikes over and over again.

Does anyone else when playing patched.exe LE games just simply get a tomb4.exe isn't working? I do quite a lot of the time. :( Is there any way of getting around it or will it just simply not work?What? :confused:
If a level isn't working the title.tr4 might be missing or some other file might be missing. So, if you happen to come across a level which you can't play right away, you could post a screenshot of the contents of the main folder and subfolders (Data, Audio, Pix, Save are most common) and then we can tell you which files might be missing. :D
(If you can't figure that out by yourself that is.)

tomb2player
12-06-11, 16:47
What program to edit SFX you guys recommend?

Titak
12-06-11, 17:03
I use Audacity for editing audio and SFX (changing pitch, volume, mixing things, etc), then I use CoolEdit96 for converting the SFX to the correct TRLE wav format. :D

And I use Screamer to edit the sounds.txt and make new .sam and .sfx files for the wad with.

tomb2player
12-06-11, 17:10
I tried Screamer, but it won't works for me. When i try tu run bat file, black DOS window blinking and thats all... :confused:

Phlip
12-06-11, 18:58
What? :confused:
If a level isn't working the title.tr4 might be missing or some other file might be missing. So, if you happen to come across a level which you can't play right away, you could post a screenshot of the contents of the main folder and subfolders (Data, Audio, Pix, Save are most common) and then we can tell you which files might be missing. :D
(If you can't figure that out by yourself that is.)

http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=1677

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2946/trleerror.jpg

:( I get only the loading screen then tomb4.exe has stopped working. :o

FloTheMachine
12-06-11, 19:12
Whats in the data file?

Titak
12-06-11, 19:24
Your main folder looks okay to me.
Since it is a tomb4.exe dating back from 2007 I doubt it is a TRNG level because TRNG hadn't been released back then if I remember correctly. So no .dll is needed.

But, like Flo asked, what's in the Data folder?
Could you post a screen of that too?

-Roli-
12-06-11, 19:25

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2946/trleerror.jpg

:( I get only the loading screen then tomb4.exe has stopped working. :o

Maybe title.tr4 and/or uklogo.pak missing :)

Dunnut7
12-06-11, 19:44
Look at the bottom of this page: http://www.skribblerz.com/textures.htm :)

Oh, ofcourse! I totally forgot:p

Phlip
12-06-11, 21:18
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2946/trleerror.jpg

Dunnut7
12-06-11, 21:21
^
It's missing title.tr4 and uklogo.pak;)

Mytly
12-06-11, 21:22
There's no title.tr4 or uklogo.pak - so no wonder the level doesn't run. Copy them from the data folder from your trle folder.

Dunnut7
12-06-11, 21:28
I think it wasn't a patched game. That's why some files were missing..

Phlip
12-06-11, 21:36
It's a patched.exe

So I need to DL the full level editor to move the title.tr4 or uklogo.pak into the main Ghana folder? :o

Mytly
12-06-11, 21:40
Patched exe doesn't necessarily mean the level can be played from download. Phlip, you'll need to place title.tr4 and uklogo.pak in the data folder of the Ghana level, not the main folder.

Dunnut7
12-06-11, 21:40
Then it's strange that the files were missing..

No, you can also download a TRLE level which isn't so big (10 MB or something) and get the title.tr4 and uklogo.pak from there:)

Titak
12-06-11, 21:53
Not so strange really.
Common files (files that are the same in the original TRLE) were often not included in downloads to cut down on download size.
But now, with people getting faster internet, builders are starting to include ALL files more and more often so it is easier for players to play the levels.

In the very early days we even had to convert the .tom files ourselves. :D

Dunnut7
12-06-11, 21:57
^
That sounds awful:eek::p
Normally we also had to convert the audio, which would take ages. I'm glad those times are over:D

Mytly
12-06-11, 22:18
The bad old days of TRLE :p ... it sounds like something a grandfather would say: 'You children have it so easy these days with levels that can be played from download. In my day, we even had to convert the .tom files ourselves!' :vlol:

Dunnut7
12-06-11, 22:24
^
I can totally see my grandfather saying that:vlol:

Phlip, have you worked it out yet?

Phlip
12-06-11, 22:31
I'll get onto this another time and get back to you. I've wanted to play this Ghana level for ages. :tmb:

Dunnut7
12-06-11, 22:33
It does look pretty good.. Maybe I'll have a swing at it too!:)
But uhm, see you later:wve:

Phlip
13-06-11, 07:29
I put the files in from another random LE level.

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2946/trleerror.jpg

When the actual level itself loads I get tomb4.exe error. =/ I still got further, though.

tomb2player
13-06-11, 10:25
I've encountered bug with lara's hair, when i'm using old TR2/3 outfit ( lara's model ). The problem is that lara's hair doesn't match to the head, and it looks bad... Is there any solution for it? :confused:

Titak
13-06-11, 11:37
I put the files in from another random LE level.

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2946/trleerror.jpg

When the actual level itself loads I get tomb4.exe error. =/ I still got further, though.I sure hope you only copied the title.tr4 and the uklogo.pak into your own level folder.
Could be that that title.tr4 is different from the original after all?
Try with another one.

I've encountered bug with lara's hair, when i'm using old TR2/3 outfit ( lara's model ). The problem is that lara's hair doesn't match to the head, and it looks bad... Is there any solution for it? :confused:It is best to find a TR3 style outfit on TR Search engine which can be used with the TRLE. All TR3 outfits have been remade for the TR4 Lara.
That way everything will be compatible since TR3 models don't use joints and the whole hair is different too (TR4 hair also uses joints so you don't see the seperate meshes, all is connected, also to her head).

Phlip
13-06-11, 14:08
It works. Thanks. :D

tomb2player
13-06-11, 16:16
I have another trouble:

In TR1-3 games Lara climb up on the geometry boxes faster than in Tr4/5. In Tr4 when she grab ledge, and we pressing up arrow button on keyboard at the same time, we must wait something like one second untill she start pulling up. In older tr's she did it faster, in same time when she grabbed ledge. How to do that in TR4??

You know what i mean? if not, i will explain it more clearly ;)

I tried to do something with animation#96 In Wadmerger's Animation Editor ( its grabbing ledge anim ) , like deleting last frames, add more speed, etc. , but in game i see cracks while using this anim, like camera fly away miles from lara, bad sound, etc.

Is it possible to do something with that?

tomb2player
13-06-11, 21:52
This upper post is unactual :D

Now i has, i hope, last question:

As we TR Players know, in TR2 ( or TR1 too, i don't remember ), big lever switch has two different sounds. First is when lara " turning on switch " , and second is when " turning off switch ". And these sounds are different. In TR3/4 there is one sound for this lever, the same for switch on/off. So, i would like to make it like TR1/2. Is there possible to do this with TRNG? Im asking here witch a little hope to do this, but i think it's Hardcoded and impossible to do on TR4 engine, i am right? :)

It's not very important, but i care about details in my level ^^

Titak
13-06-11, 22:45
You can add another sound for the "turning off switch" by assigning this other sound to Lara's "turning off switch" animation with WADMerger Animation Editor. :D

Soul
14-06-11, 17:00
Is it possible that the movement of the Twoblock-plattforms is hardcoded?

I have created a smaller plattform (only one square) and replaced it with the old twoblock-platform-mesh. I also changed the colisionbox and if I place only one in the level everything works fine.

However if I place two platforms next to each other both go down when I step onto only one of them. :confused:

Caesum
14-06-11, 19:50
I would like to change TR4 original font into the one from this link:
http://www.trsearch.org/Items/2728

Unfortunately, it has awful purple borders ingame and so I'm wondering how can I delete them. :confused:

Titak
14-06-11, 19:53
Doesn't the download include a BMP version of the font image?
If so, then you can edit that.

Caesum
14-06-11, 19:56
Unfortunately not. :( Can it be edited without a .bmp file?

anniversarytr11
15-06-11, 14:44
Hey is there a free download link for WinZip?

I had the 40 day trial but it ran out, now the website wont let me do another 40 day trial so don't know what to do! I need something for zip files or i cant continue with my Sword of Shen project?

Soul
15-06-11, 16:27
^Use freeware tools such as 7zip, or IzArc.
They are a lot better than Winzip :tmb:

Matie
15-06-11, 16:39
I was about to suggest IzArc too, it's free and it works very similarly to WinZip.:)

anniversarytr11
15-06-11, 16:59
Thank you :hug:

tomb2player
15-06-11, 17:30
How to change number of secrets in Statistics window? Default is 70 :p

I didn't found anything about it in NG_Center reference :/

Matie
15-06-11, 17:50
It's possible to do with a Customize command.
Customize= CUST_SET_SECRET_NUMBER,[number of secrets]

If you don't know the exact command, you can use the Search field in NG Center. (This specific command is listed at the new scriptcommands.)

tomb2player
15-06-11, 18:31
Yes, i know this command ( used it before ), but i didnt knew that it can be used to configure secrets number in level :p

Caesum
15-06-11, 20:49
I've made my own logo for my custom, but I have one problem.
Everytime I save it as a .raw file with photoshop or IrfanView, I have strange line on R:
http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/4861/beztytuugra.png
What is even stranger, as you can see, I don't have this line on Lara Croft Tomb Raider text. :confused:
Do you know what should I do to fix this problem?

Atlantisfreak
15-06-11, 21:36
that's because of transparency :( you can't use it.

i had the same problem not long ago :/

Caesum
15-06-11, 21:37
I mean this line on R, like something was cut from there, not black borders. :)

Kapu
16-06-11, 01:31
i've had the problem before, too. the image gets clipped in the middle for some reason. try resaving the file. try using TR custom screens (halfway down on this page (http://skribblerz.com/editortools.htm)) to save it, too.

Caesum
16-06-11, 10:30
Tried with photoshop, IrfanView and TR Custom Screens and without effect. So it is an engine error and nothing can fix it? :(

EDIT: Haha, Finally made it! I had to find out which pixels were taken out and duplicate them 3/4 times to the left to fill the gap. :D

anniversarytr11
16-06-11, 12:22
NGLE just froze on me :( so annoying.

Dunnut7
16-06-11, 20:20
Can someone help me?
My logo isn't transparent at the Title level. It's all black from behind. And I've read that BMP files can't have transparent backgrounds..
And please don't start about Photoshop, because I don't have it..

Kapu
16-06-11, 20:23
true, BMPs don't support transparency, but when you convert the BMP to PAK the black becomes transparent. are you converting the BMP to RAW and all that jazz or are you just using TR Custom Screens?

Mystery-King
16-06-11, 20:34
Can someone help me?
My logo isn't transparent at the Title level. It's all black from behind. And I've read that BMP files can't have transparent backgrounds..
And please don't start about Photoshop, because I don't have it..

Yep. .BMP can't have transpanency however .PNG can (although you can't use PNG files for Logos...)

Your image may still have black bits around because you have to use proper-black as in RGB is 0,0,0. If it isn't that then when converted it won't go transparent. And sometimes when saving as a bitmap in MS Paint, it alters some colours to colours you don't want. (For example I was making a magenta object texture but saving in Paint, changed the magenta shade so it wasn't the magenta that goes transparent on objects and stuff...)

OK, so you don't have photoshop but you CAN download Gimp, which is free and has a pretty similar layout as photoshop and does a lot of what photoshop can do too.

Hope this helps. :)

Zebra
17-06-11, 09:20
Is there a way to limit a fog bulb to one room? I have a water room connected to non-water room above it and I want the water to be murky which would probably work best with a fog bulb. The problem is that the fog also protrudes into the room above it and I don't want that. Any way to turn it off?

Dunnut7
17-06-11, 14:42
@Kapu: I'm 'converting the BMP to RAW and all that jazz':p

@Mystery-King: I'm using Gimp right now, but the background won't go transparent. Now it's just white:( And I've looked for tutorials on YouTube.

Mystery-King
17-06-11, 14:51
Could you perhaps post an image of what it looks like? I've never had trouble when making logos so I might be able to help you. :)

Caesum
17-06-11, 15:02
Dunnut - Make sure that your background is black and not transparent.

Dunnut7
17-06-11, 15:03
Here the script.dat:) http://www.4shared.com/file/04G61vYt/SCRIPT.html

http://i53.************/wu57pz.jpg

I yet have to work on the title, but will I work on that later.. And now it suddenly has a black background.

And Caesum, my background is black.

Kapu
17-06-11, 15:29
that background is not true black. use the color dropper in paint on a section of the black and open it in custom colors. it's probably something like RGB 0,1,1. it must be RGB 0,0,0 or the black will not be transparent. it's just like using magenta for transparency on objects. if it's not exactly RGB 255,0,255 you'll get a bunch of pink where it's supposed to be transparent.

i made a working version. it's a little rough looking in-game, but you can use it if you want.
http://i55.************/2lwvoed.png

Zebra
17-06-11, 15:31
Is there a way to limit a fog bulb to one room? I have a water room connected to non-water room above it and I want the water to be murky which would probably work best with a fog bulb. The problem is that the fog also protrudes into the room above it and I don't want that. Any way to turn it off?

Anyone :o?

Titak
17-06-11, 15:59
Is there a way to limit a fog bulb to one room? I have a water room connected to non-water room above it and I want the water to be murky which would probably work best with a fog bulb. The problem is that the fog also protrudes into the room above it and I don't want that. Any way to turn it off? No. :(

It should however be possible to get the TRA effect of clear looking water when seeing it from above and the green murky when underwater, using the same TRNG technique I used for changing the ambient background audio when going underwater. (But then using the flipeffects to turn volumetricfx on (when underwater) and off (when above water) instead of audio flipeffects)

Dunnut7
17-06-11, 17:49
that background is not true black. use the color dropper in paint on a section of the black and open it in custom colors. it's probably something like RGB 0,1,1. it must be RGB 0,0,0 or the black will not be transparent. it's just like using magenta for transparency on objects. if it's not exactly RGB 255,0,255 you'll get a bunch of pink where it's supposed to be transparent.

i made a working version. it's a little rough looking in-game, but you can use it if you want.

Thanks:hug: I'll try it out later. I'm on the wrong PC at the moment;)

Zebra
17-06-11, 20:44
No. :(

It should however be possible to get the TRA effect of clear looking water when seeing it from above and the green murky when underwater, using the same TRNG technique I used for changing the ambient background audio when going underwater. (But then using the flipeffects to turn volumetricfx on (when underwater) and off (when above water) instead of audio flipeffects)

Thanks. I guess I'm going to try lots of small fog bulbs, then. It's not a big water room, anyway.

Oh and something else that has been bugging me: There automatically seems to be some sort of light effect in water rooms (areas turning bright and dark alternately). Is there a way to turn that off? Because I would like the water room to be really dark. The room above it is quite dark, as well and it just looks weird when the water room is so bright even though there is no light source.

AgentXP
17-06-11, 21:10
^ The way to do that is to use a flipeffect to set the room to a ‘water room’ instead of setting it as water the conventional way. Think you need to be using TRNG for that though.

Titak
17-06-11, 22:04
^
Correct, you do indeed need TRNG for that.

It is basically a glitch in TRNG but it was decided to keep it because quite a few people liked the water without the reflection effect.
I'm using this trick myself for puddles that are supposed to look muddy/murky. :D

Zebra
17-06-11, 22:05
Hm...can't do that. It's BTB. Thanks, anyway :).

Dunnut7
18-06-11, 10:39

Thanks alot:hug: I just tried it out and it has a transparent background:D And my logo looked a bit stretched, but yours isn't;)

Dunnut7
18-06-11, 12:45
Sorry for the double post, but does anyone know if it's possible to have both Magnums and Uzis at the same time in a level?

Titak
18-06-11, 14:12
Not that I know off.
Unless it is possible with AssignSlot= in TRNG.
But even if that does work, then the Magnums will act and sound the same as the Uzi's or visa versa.

Hmmm... maybe it is possible to use the revolverslot for it. Making a gun in each hand isn't the problem, but the gun flare... there will only be one gun flare and smoke then and since the animation will be changed they are probably also in the wrong spot.
Damage could be changed with TRNG (so damage of one shot could be increased so it would be damage from two shots) but the problem is with the gunflare and smoke and perhaps also somethign else that I'm not thinking of right now...

I've always liked the dual Magnums/automatic pistols in TR1 and TR2. :D

Dunnut7
18-06-11, 14:39
Those are alot of problems you're naming:o
I could try the AssignSlot= command. Do you know what to put behind AssignSlot=? Because then I can see if the gun flare and smoke are in the wrong spot. I hope they're not:)

Titak
18-06-11, 17:48
Check NG_Center Reference.
It is all explained there. :D

DJ Full
18-06-11, 22:33
Hey.
I've been sitting in front of the screen, tweaking with a single room to master lighting at last.

- HEY, DID YOU HEAR THAT?
- NO... WHAT?
- DJF SAID HE FINALLY STARTED TO PLACE LIGHTBULBS!
- WHAT? NO WAY!

I mean I have a sun. That one with a smile on its face. And yes, I'll tell in advance that there is ONLY ONE sun placed in my room. I press "Show light meshes" and I see its "beam" indicating the direction of shadows it is supposed to cast.

The problem is no matter it casts them the opposite way. I tried to solve it by pointing the beam in the opposite direction. No effect.

This is how it looks in the editor:
http://i51.************/2jbl9b5.jpg

- OH, NO! ANOTHER EGYPTIAN TEST LEVEL! I THOUGHT HE'S BUILDING FOR BTB!
- OH, CALM DOWN, YOU IGNORANT! HE CAN'T SHOW THE WAD YET!
- AHA. THAT EXPLAINED ME.

As You can see, there is also a normal light inside. Ingame, it looks like the wall reflects more light than the sun emits:
http://i54.************/x92qe.jpg

This does not often happen in real world, so I wanna get rid of it.

Also, I don't understand why a certain light appears ingame:
http://i52.************/14uuasw.jpg

if it's NOT placed in the editor.

Kapu
18-06-11, 23:38
to solve your problem DJ, i would say get rid of the sunbulb. they don't always behave like they're supposed to, especially in a small room like that (as your dilemma illustrates). you have much more control over what you're doing if you use spot bulbs. in small indoor areas like that i only use a sunbulb with a really low intensity just to light lara so she doesn't look flat. the real lighting comes from spot bulbs and effect bulbs. i really have no idea where the light on the door is coming from. the door must be an animating object, which means the sunbulb would effect it, and sometimes that happens where the sunbulbs lights something like a door although it's not pointing in that direction, but that wouldn't create a light around the door. maybe it's coming from the lightbulb...i would honestly stick to spotbulbs. i use sunbulbs for lighting outdoor areas, but not so much indoor areas.

DJ Full
19-06-11, 00:32
to solve your problem DJ, i would say get rid of the sunbulb. (...) in small indoor areas like that i only use a sunbulb with a really low intensity just to light lara so she doesn't look flat.
Look at the first pic. This is exactly what I did here. Sunbulb has intensity of 0.13, and all the light comes from the reflection lightbulb near the wall.

the real lighting comes from spot bulbs and effect bulbs.
Aha... no simple lightbulbs at all? Actually, there WAS a spotbulb in this room, just before I exchanged it with the lightbulb in order to see what happens... Indeed, it seems the first solution is better. What I would like to know is the reason why the lightbulb behaves weird even though I took care of leaving NO cracks in texturing...

i really have no idea where the light on the door is coming from. the door must be an animating object
... and placed no objects yet. The door is a texture. Everything You see in this room is painted basic geometry.

i would honestly stick to spotbulbs.
OK. Will replace the light again and post the result.

Caesum
19-06-11, 00:52
In this case I fear the best way to achieve what you want is by making roomlight bright and filling it with shadow bulbs.

DJ Full
19-06-11, 01:11
Tried out Kapu's suggestion, as it came first.
Yep - this looks better indeed:

http://i51.************/2zeyw53.jpg
http://i55.************/118dd6x.jpg

However, I still have no clue about what casts that light beneath the window. There is only 1 spotlight and 1 sun in the room, the latter one not affecting shadows no matter of beam direction. Are sunbulbs supposed to cause proper shadow directions at all? Or do these bulbs just exist in purpose of "unflatting" Lara?

@Caesum, now I will try out Your solution and compare both.

EDIT:
I did it. Here You are:
http://i54.************/2vhvz0o.jpg

The room looks quite good, but this time I got flat Lara, like there was no sunbulb at all (and there is one). Strange... I have a feeling it is not like it should be.

And still, two bright tiles below the window, even though I reduced sun intensity to 0.0.

SUDDEN EDIT 2:
Wait! Isn't it the outer room affecting the inner one with its ambience transition through the portal between them? It might be. Reducing the outer ambience...

EDIT 3:
http://i53.************/110k9di.jpg

Lara is still flat, but after reducing the outside ambience the light beneath the window became 2 times darker. Seems the transition through the portal connecting two rooms is the reason of the flaw. This implies another question:

How can I remove transition effect from the portal between those two (and any other two) rooms?

Kapu
19-06-11, 01:34
Look at the first pic. This is exactly what I did here. Sunbulb has intensity of 0.13, and all the light comes from the reflection lightbulb near the wall.

oh, i'm sorry. :o i didn't realize it had a low intensity. i assumed both were in the 0.25-0.50 range. but assume makes an ass out of "u" and "me!" that was my mistake.

Aha... no simple lightbulbs at all? Actually, there WAS a spotbulb in this room, just before I exchanged it with the lightbulb in order to see what happens... Indeed, it seems the first solution is better. What I would like to know is the reason why the lightbulb behaves weird even though I took care of leaving NO cracks in texturing...

nah, lightbulbs aren't taboo, i just use them sparingly. you have much more control over spotbulbs because they point light at one specific spot, whereas lightbulbs emit light from all directions. you have way more control with a spotbulb. lightbulbs are good when you have a lamp or a wall light, when you do want the area to be lit up. those are the only cases i use them, though.
honestly, if lightbulbs work for you then use them! whatever works best for you.

... and placed no objects yet. The door is a texture. Everything You see in this room is painted basic geometry.

rofl, and i though it would be stupid to assume it was anything but an object. there's that assume again...:rolleyes: lol. well that bit me in the ass! that's really bizarre. there's no reason that light should be there...

EDIT: so no door object, but there is indeed a door? yes, that would do it. :)

Caesum
19-06-11, 09:18
DJ Full - Just add then one sunbulb with 0.10 and darken a bit room if it's still invisible(well, or make sunbulb brigther). :)

Titak
19-06-11, 09:41
@ DJ Full:
Welcome to the lighting system of the TRLE.
Half the time it does not make any sense and it can be hell to get decent and kind of realistic looking lighting. :(

DJ Full
19-06-11, 10:41
@Caesum:
Aah, so the sun intensity DOES matter. I thought decreasing it completely makes the sunlight disappear, but maintains the "unflatting" effect. Seems I was wrong. I increased the intensity to 0.09 (I can't fit in 0.1), but it was not enough as for so bright ambience. So I made it 0.19 and it looked quite normal:

http://i52.************/2myomti.jpg

However, I wanted to make greater contrast between light and shade - so I decreased ambience to at about 2/3 of the one seen in the picture above and got a more realistic effect seen in the picture below:

http://i55.************/3478uur.jpg

As You can see, I gave You the comparison of portal transitions. I still don't know how to get rid of them. I want the outside room to remain as bright as possible, without affecting the inner hall. What should I do?

@ DJ Full:
Welcome to the lighting system of the TRLE.
Hi there, lighting system of the TRLE!

oh, i'm sorry. :o i didn't realize it had a low intensity. i assumed both were in the 0.25-0.50 range. but assume makes an ass out of "u" and "me!"Never mind wrong assumptions :D

Caesum
19-06-11, 11:43
I think we're on the right way. Maybe undo changes to moment before decreasing room ambient and add some shadowbulbs in places where you want to make room darker. Remember that if you want to delete light transitions you, unfortunately, need to make both room ambients same.

deskj
19-06-11, 15:37
well consider that 255,255,255 rgb values are never used in trle, even thought that's supposed to be an outside area. Usually to achieve an outside bright lighting, medium rgb values are used and then bright light is created with suns, light bulbs and whatever

while the best way to create a good inside ambient is to use very low rgb values and then again to place light sources around (possibly not totally white bulbs, to not make the color scheme too boring)

DJ Full
19-06-11, 23:22
@Caesum, shadowbulbs are already there:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5076/23274682.jpg

Gotta increase the Out attribute:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1735/34148807.jpg

Hmm, it looks nice in the editor, and not so nice ingame:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/5558/68673825.jpg

Placing additional lightbulb in order to make smoother transition:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1522/78854386.jpg

Reducing intensity a bit:

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/8359/20676102.jpg

Looks better, but still like a semi-crap:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7080/80807406.jpg

Intensifying shadows in order to compete:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/121/50167758.jpg

Oh no, that no-no!

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6348/37851785.jpg

Intensifying shadow even more:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/92293115.jpg

Result unsatisfactory:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7836/81491408.jpg

So getting hardcore - lowering ambience to R 2, G2, B3, removing lightbulbs and lowering central light intensity:

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4862/90335552.jpg

Still, something is wrong:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3063/26997518.jpg

I see no other choice than to apply a mixed solution of a "Kapu-Caesum method". Placing the spotlight together with a lightbulb.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7109/87901445.jpg

Result towards the sunlight...

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/5058/77712717.jpg

...and towards the wall is rather good...

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3301/81356863.jpg

...until I take 1 step back.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2980/15555171.jpg

Moving the reflection towards the wall:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1037/30750231.jpg

Darkening it a bit...

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2734/93412664.jpg

...but there's a flaw in the left corner... so placing an additional light

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/483/53166950.jpg

Hey, hey... I'm almost there...

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/8972/24389345.jpg

...except the too dark shadow and too sudden light/shade transition!

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8683/33448157.jpg

So increasing reflection range, for some light to affect the opposite wall:

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5553/60754111.jpg

Yep, that's definitely smoother, though the left and right shadows don't match each other:

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7863/25720703.jpg

...so reducing intensity...

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4070/65390544.jpg

NO! BACK! BACK!!!

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/74/89436212.jpg

Ok, so increasing the spotlight intensity and making it ENORMOUS...

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/1231/31393859.jpg

however it's not huge enough to affect this square I'm standing on...

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9379/20422031.jpg

Thus, making "Out" attribute even more enormous:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4677/23675000.jpg

...spreading it beyond the Saturn orbit!!!

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1294/97117518.jpg

Aarrgh, too much!!! Now Lara got shiny in the shadows!

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1608/17544171.jpg

Naaah... Decreasing both "out" and "in" radius back to fit in the Jupiter orbit.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5873/75497778.jpg

Now the corner is too dark, so raising the lightbulb over it and decreasing its "Out" radius:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3908/90700503.jpg

Oh, NO! The Now a dark stripe on the wall appears...

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8912/55152001.jpg

...so I'm raising the corner lightbulb a little bit more, lowering its intensity, but also increasing "out" radius beyond the Pluto orbit to make a smoother transition:

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/42/88376849.jpg

and lowering sun intensity a little bit:

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/966/82513768.jpg

Yeah! It worked! The stripe is gone!

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/7126/67371163.jpg

Haha, woohoo, this is it, so I'm checking if I can remove the central light:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9348/52278487.jpg

It seems I can. Finally, it looks way, way, way better!

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3599/14706287.jpg

Final touches: the far left corner is too dark. Decreasing "Out" radius of lightbulb. Increasing len and cut of spotlight for them to better affect central stone.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/313/33034489.jpg

Hell yeah! This is (ALMOST) what I want. Left corner still too dark.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/6898/81763242.jpg

ANY SUGGESTIONS???

@deskj, thanks for the tip concerning indoors. I read it when the inner ambience was already lowered, but anyway I find it very helpful. As for outdoor ambiences, I left them triple 128 and triple 255 only to have a comparison between them.

Kapu
19-06-11, 23:42
i can't see a single one of those images you posted, dj.

DJ Full
20-06-11, 00:07
Me too. Using imageshack for the first time. Copied urls instead of imgs. Sorry - please wait while editing is in progress (rotating hourglass appears)

Kapu
20-06-11, 00:27
...i'm...very lost. haha. the gist i'm getting is that you're having trouble getting the little spots just right, correct? that's where you can use effect bulbs. they change light only on the square (and some of the area around the square) you place it on. it can have negative or positive values, so when you said "Oh, NO! The Now a dark stripe on the wall appears..." you could've stuck some effect bulbs in there with positive values to fix that up.

DJ Full
20-06-11, 00:45
Actually, this stripe was fixed by in-out gradient of the corner lightbulb. I think those lightbulbs are very nice when it comes to make such. Also, if a pillar is raised (like the one in the corner, they tend to only affect places of elevation higher than the top of the pillar.

Anyway thanks for negative-positive value tip. Will try it out.

BTW, for over 3 hours, I've been looking for an easy way to upload all of them together with maintained order - but I was unsuccessful, so I had to upload one by one. This is why some of them appeared to be in wrong order, and with a wrong description. But I finally managed to arrange those pictures... You shouldn't be lost anymore.

Also, I would like to keep this thread clean, not overfilling it with pictures. Is there a way to give a SINGLE link to a set of subsequent pictures like the one I made?

Half the time it does not make any sense and it can be hell to get decent and kind of realistic looking lighting. :(

Well...
http://i52.************/10cj703.jpg

sapper
20-06-11, 07:29
How can I remove transition effect from the portal between those two (and any other two) rooms?

Maybe using meta2tr and relighting those vertices in Meta.

Mystery-King
20-06-11, 07:44
This may seem like a stupid question but how can you assign Laras footsteps to texture? Like you hear metal footsteps when walking on metal textures and hearing scrunchy textures when walking on snow? :)

DJ Full
20-06-11, 09:39
Next to the ANIMATION RANGES button is the TEXTURE SOUNDS button. Press this to bring up another window with a column of buttons listing different sounds down the right side of the panel. To assign sounds to Your textures, select the texture, then press the appropriate sound button. The sounds don't always get saved with the project file so it is a good idea to save them separately using the SAVE TEXTURE SNDS button. When You have texture sounds, type a name for the file - a TFX extension will automatically be added. Another window will appear with a TBM file extension - type in the same name and this will save any Bump Map information You assigned. If the texture sounds did not load with Your project or if You begin a new project and use the same texture map, You can load the sounds in using the LOAD TEXTURES button instead of reassigning them all.

Mystery-King
20-06-11, 09:48
Thanks DJ Full. Thats very informative and its a big help. Thanks :)

THOR2010
20-06-11, 14:34
i have a question, why when anyone does a remake are they always making it in ng graphics, how come no ones done one in classic tr graphics(apart from TR1 revised), imagine TRU remade in TR1 styled gameplay.

Matie
20-06-11, 15:10
Maybe because no one thought of it the other way round. It's a nice idea I think, might be quite enjoyable if you do it just for fun and also very interesting, if it's done well.

Kapu
20-06-11, 18:57
i have a question, why when anyone does a remake are they always making it in ng graphics, how come no ones done one in classic tr graphics(apart from TR1 revised), imagine TRU remade in TR1 styled gameplay.

i think because when people remake games they remake the classics. the only option is to remake them in higher quality, or else you'd be spitting out a one on one copy, and in that case it's easier to just play the original. the idea of deliberately remake TRU in an early PS1 style is interesting.

Soul
20-06-11, 19:33
There actually was one (sort of) remake of Bhogavati by Jean...It was part of his very nice "Temple of Shiva"
http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=1947

THOR2010
20-06-11, 21:31
just made this for fun!

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/428/wetpose.png

Caesum
20-06-11, 21:32
Aww I love this as much as I loved TRAOD outfit in n-gage version of TR1. :D

Tjw croft
20-06-11, 21:40
just made this for fun!

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/428/wetpose.png

PLEASE! Release this!!! :)

THOR2010
20-06-11, 21:53
uploaded: http://www.trsearch.org/Media.php?action=getitem&dbitem=3746

matrix54
20-06-11, 21:53
I can see a lot f cool unofficial tr1 levels released with this. :)
No one will make them, but at least the outfit it there.

Very nice. :tmb:

DJ Full
20-06-11, 22:43
Mwahahahaha.... I made a beam! I put it in that room I were fighting... I mean lighting yesterday:

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6112/shot002uc.jpg
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/3671/shot000.jpg
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/529/shot001cw.jpg

The problem is: why does object tinting not affect it? In the editor, it seems to work - the object becomes darker - but there is no effect ingame. Any clue?

The beam is in movable slot, with semi-transparent ticked and shining (12) applied.

Delta
20-06-11, 22:48
You should import it as a static object, but in that case you can't change the shining value

DJ Full
20-06-11, 23:10
I forgot only statics can be tinted.
Anyway, I reduced shine to 0 inside and 1 outside. Nothing helped - the beam is still as bright as it was.

Exchanged the outer circle with a darker texture:

http://i55.************/r86ukz.jpg

I don't know why it still shines if I set shine to 0.

EDIT:
@Delta,
thanks for the tip with static lighting. In this case, static tinting+transparency appears to be a much better solution than movable shining+transparency.

All of You,
thanks for remaining tips. This is definitely the brightest night in my TRLE life. I managed to enhance the beam. Two of them having different brightness, crossing each other:

http://i55.************/v8gbb.jpg

A black hole:

http://i53.************/2vbmu6d.jpg

And shadows beneath:

http://i56.************/2m2ceu8.jpg

The black hole was not my idea - I simply have a problem with changing sky color. I copied karnak.raw and renamed it to the same name as my .wad, but it did not help. What am I missing?

EDIT 2:
I keep testing those beams and I have a crash.

In a certain room, there are:
- 4 beams (made of 2 static items, correspondingly 930 and 936 vertices, all faces double-sided, a common single texture for both objects, no collision)
- two shadows
- one sunbulb
- 4 lightbulbs.

This is how it looks (very early stage):

http://i54.************/52m36.jpg

The game crashes when I add a simple ANIMATING1 (12 vertices, 6 double sided faces, 1 texture for all of them, no collision).

Any clue?

EDIT 3:
As long as the room exists, entering the inventory causes another crash. I removed objects and kept bounding room (removing row by row), until it worked. This made me think the problem is related to a specified square. So I copied parts of the room into 4 smaller rooms, to save all of them but the fatal square. After that, the game crashed as well, even though there was no objects in the room, nor a door connecting it with other ones.

EDIT 4:
I deleted that buggy room and made it newly from scratch. No objects placed. The game crashes. Can room geometry cause this?

skylark1121
22-06-11, 18:37
Does anyone know where I can get shatter windows? -- e.g TR2 Venice levels.
Thanks! :D

Titak
22-06-11, 19:06
Have you tried TR Search Engine?
Seperate objects and/or TR2 wads.

Lara's Levelbase also hosts TR2 wads I think.

You can then copy the shatter window and the matching static broken window into your own wad.

skylark1121
22-06-11, 21:20
^ Yes I searched for the windows - they don't necessarily have to be from TR2 - that's just the kind of shatter I wanted. :p
I couldn't find any from just searching. I will try the TR2 wads. :)
Edit: I found what I was looking for. Thanks! :D

anniversarytr11
23-06-11, 12:27
Would you need to have TRLE installed to be able to play a custom game say downloaded from trle.net? Because when I have finished my project I wanna get my friends to play it, so an answer to this question would be really helpful :D

Mystery-King
23-06-11, 12:32
On trle.net, when you click on level info if it says 'level playable from download no trle needed' then no. If it doesn't say that then you will need LE to play it.

If you want to make a playabe folder (where you don't need the LE to play it.) there is a fab tutorial here that will explain it all to you! Good Luck! :)

http://skribblerz.com/tuts/tuts2/playable.htm

anniversarytr11
23-06-11, 12:35
On trle.net, when you click on level info if it says 'level playable from download no trle needed' then no. If it doesn't say that then you will need LE to play it.

If you want to make a playabe folder (where you don't need the LE to play it.) there is a fab tutorial here that will explain it all to you! Good Luck! :)

http://skribblerz.com/tuts/tuts2/playable.htm

THANK YOU SO MUCH :hug:

Caesum
24-06-11, 11:02
Ooops, nevermind. :o

klona
24-06-11, 13:26
Hello guys, how can i make a pickup trigger a rolling ball?

TheTiger
24-06-11, 13:52
Do this : PICKUP - ROLLING_BALL, this should work ;)

anniversarytr11
24-06-11, 14:05
Whats the buttons you press so you can fly around the level? So you can get anywhere on the map when testing?

klona
24-06-11, 14:09
Type DOZY

.:Tirivol:.
24-06-11, 14:12
i tried this waterfall object http://www.trsearch.org/Items/1484 but this is what I got (it's animated :P)

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9493/lolmt.jpg

why?

Titak
24-06-11, 15:32
The waterfall texture needs to be the largest, in height, in the wad.
(first texture on the first texture page when opening the wad in STRPix)

So in your case it is probably not the largest.
You could export it with STRPix, make it 256 tall with some paint programm and add it as a new texture to the wad using WADMerger.
Then open the wad again in STRPix and apply the new enlarged texture onto the waterfall object.

24-06-11, 18:34
thanks very much titia! it works!

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2140/11190863jt.jpg

Titak
24-06-11, 19:00
:tmb:

So that rain texture is now the largest one in the wad? :D

24-06-11, 19:04
:tmb:

So that rain texture is now the largest one in the wad? :D

yes, and it works correctly! :P

KingdomHearts
24-06-11, 20:47
I have some fog issue . I have 2 levels . In the first one iam using some white fog . Its triggered with flipeffect 28 timer 6 and works fine . In the second Level i want to use some red fog so i put on a square the same flipeffect (28) and timer 17 but the fog won't show up :( . Any Ideas ?

Titak
24-06-11, 21:55
yes, and it works correctly! :PGood.
It is the only foolproof way to make it work. :D

I have some fog issue . I have 2 levels . In the first one iam using some white fog . Its triggered with flipeffect 28 timer 6 and works fine . In the second Level i want to use some red fog so i put on a square the same flipeffect (28) and timer 17 but the fog won't show up :( . Any Ideas ?
Try adding a flipeffect that turns volumetricfx on.

KingdomHearts
24-06-11, 22:40
I am working with TREP so i think this isn't possible right ? ^^

Titak
25-06-11, 11:50
I can't remember if it can be done with flipeffects or another sort of trigger but I do remember it is possible to force VolumetrcFX on through the script.
I used it in my Himalayan Mysteries levels.

THOR2010
25-06-11, 12:14
non tr related question, is tr forums really slow for anyone else right now, abnormally slow, yesterday and today it been taking a minute to load a single post, and my computers brand new?

Mytly
25-06-11, 12:34
The forum itself is slow. See the announcement (top of the page).

THOR2010
25-06-11, 12:40
oh, thanks, i always overlook those:)

EDIT: yay TRF survived!

Kosmos
25-06-11, 23:25
Hello,

I've got two questions about NGLE limits.
I'm working on a project and my level has 177 rooms. It will be finished soon, with about 190 rooms.

Since I pass 170 rooms, the NGLE send me a message that I've never seen before : "AddBox() : Reached maximum number of boxes
I guess there is a link with the number of rooms. But there is no crash in game. This message is it really important ?

I use a lot of light effects too (698 for now). The official limit for effect is 768 and I'm sure that I will overtake this limit. So I'm wondering : is it dangerous and what are the risks ?

Thank you for your help.

THOR2010
25-06-11, 23:31
1st question- ?

2nd question- well, the editor usually prevents u from exceeding any limits doesn't it, so u can't overload it?

Kosmos
25-06-11, 23:35
Okay, so I can't have more than 768 effects. Right ?

THOR2010
25-06-11, 23:38
most likely, perhaps before u reach the limit back up the level then try it.

TRDaz
26-06-11, 10:02
I got TRLE today and I wanna know which tool do I open to start level making? Is it Room Editor?

Kosmos
26-06-11, 10:38
It's winroomedit

Okay, I talked with an old rogue of trle and he knows what "AddBox() : Reached maximum number of boxes" means.
It's caused by a too large number of rooms (this number is different in every project because there is a link with the sizes of your rooms).
And the consequence in game is that your baddies behave wrong. They run on a wall instead of attack Lara. So the only solution is to reduce the number of rooms... :(

TRDaz
26-06-11, 10:55
I will have to look at some tutorials for TRLE then. Thanks for the info about winroomedit

Zebra
26-06-11, 10:56
It's winroomedit

Okay, I talked with an old rogue of trle and he knows what "AddBox() : Reached maximum number of boxes" means.
It's caused by a too large number of rooms (this number is different in every project because there is a link with the sizes of your rooms).
And the consequence in game is that your baddies behave wrong. They run on a wall instead of attack Lara. So the only solution is to reduce the number of rooms... :(

You could split your level into two levels.

Kosmos
26-06-11, 11:13
Not for BTB... :D
So I will delete an area.

Dunnut7
26-06-11, 11:57
Hey, another question here!:D

Does anyone have all the SFX sounds from TRA? I found some on TRSearch.org, but they were all disorganized and some sounded very strange. And I could only find a few.. Please, help:)

Ow, wait! Nevermind. I allready found the solution looking on the internet. Sorry:o

Titak
26-06-11, 12:15
And the consequence in game is that your baddies behave wrong. They run on a wall instead of attack Lara. So the only solution is to reduce the number of rooms... :(Not exactly but it is part of the things that can cause this message to appear.
The message especially appears when the rooms don't have many walls, like when you are making one large open outdoor area. I had this problem several times with the desert levels in UUB3-The Plain of Jars, where I had used a lot of large, all connected without walls, rooms.
Example: one of my current levels has 178 rooms. No "box overlap" message.
One of the levels from UUB3 had a lot less rooms and I did get the "box overlap" message.

And if I remember correctly from a post on trle.net (it might still be there) the box overlap occurs when "enemie zones" overlap. An enemie zone/box would be a part of the floor where the enemie can walk.
Box overlap occurs when you, for example, have a floor with a hole in it. The floor is no longer one box but is made up of 4 boxes: one along each side of the hole.
Example: Let's say you have a 3x3 room with a 1x1 hole in the middle.
Each box is then a row of 3 tiles along the walls of the room.
The boxes overlap on the tiles in each corner, thus creating 4 box overlaps.
Not sure how that works with large rooms without walls though... :confused:

So I kinda see the boxoverlap limit as there being too many of those overlaps and the enemie can't navigate properly around the map anymore because of that.
Not sure if this is entirely the case though, so please don't quote me on that. :p

Ow, wait! Nevermind. I allready found the solution looking on the internet.
Wanna share that? :D

Atlantean-Squid
26-06-11, 16:12
Got a sound effect problem.

There is a sound effect known as ROLLING_BALL which uses the sample l_rumb.wav. Apparently, this is the sound that plays when a boulder rolls along the ground. If you look in your samples folder, you will find that it sounds a lot like the sound effect used in TR1 and TR2.

To the best of my memory, I have never heard this sound effect in a custom level.

According to two tutorials, one by Titak and one by Bedazzled, adding it to sounds.txt and generating the SFX and SAM files should cause this sound to play. Additionally, they both say that you can attain a TR2-like effect by removing BOULDER_FALL (bouldlnd.wav – it's the “crunch” you hear when a TR4 boulder rolls or hits the floor) from sounds.txt.

I've tried this using SFX Manager, but ROLLING_BALL never plays, regardless of if I have BOULDER_FALL (which does play) or not. I've even tried adding it to the ROLLINGBALL object in WADMerger.

I don't want to replace bouldlnd with l_rumb as then the boulder would play the “rolling” effect when it hits the floor or wall.

Does anybody know how to get this working in the proper way?

Thanks in advance.

DJ Full
27-06-11, 20:59
Psst... Has anyone noticed my problem from last week?
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=5505165&postcount=6948
Asking just in case.
Now it appears the problem is caused by several single squares, looking absolutely normal, without any objects nor features.

BTW. I found out grabbing a zipline activates a trigger if I set SWITCH for DEATH_SLIDE, just like it can be done for SWITCH_TYPEX. Is it already a well-known trick or have I discovered something new?

Vanni
27-06-11, 22:02
I've not started making a level yet (I've not even finished the manual...), but I have a snowy-themed level in mind, so I'm wondering if you can add breath clouds and, more importantly, can you make them stop if Lara were to go into a cave or something?

x

Soul
27-06-11, 22:05
BTW. I found out grabbing a zipline activates a trigger if I set SWITCH for DEATH_SLIDE, just like it can be done for SWITCH_TYPEX. Is it already a well-known trick or have I discovered something new?

Not sure about your first question, but for the second I think you did indeed discover something new, or maybe a variation of the (quite) well-known "trigger an event when an enemy dies" (by setting this enemy as switch) :tmb:

FloTheMachine
27-06-11, 22:09
I've not started making a level yet (I've not even finished the manual...), but I have a snowy-themed level in mind, so I'm wondering if you can add breath clouds and, more importantly, can you make them stop if Lara were to go into a cave or something?

x

Yep. :)
If you class the room as outside, and cold, Laras breath will appear, however if not classed as outside and cold her breath wont appear. :)

tomb2player
27-06-11, 22:13
The boxes limit is because of too much floor geometry and doors in level. You don't need to delete rooms, just reduce floor geometry ( slopes, boxes, etc. ) and it will be ok ;) . Interesting is that there is no limit about ceiling geometry in one level, so it can be as complex as you want ;)

Kapu
27-06-11, 22:16
Psst... Has anyone noticed my problem from last week?
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=5505165&postcount=6948
Asking just in case.
Now it appears the problem is caused by several single squares, looking absolutely normal, without any objects nor features.

i've never had an instance where plain old room geometry caused my game to crash. unless it's already a huge level with tons of broken triangles, then you can run into troubles. the problem has gotta be your WAD or your executable. you using TREP or TRNG, deej? a newly activated patch or feature that isn't configured properly? or maybe one of the objects has gone to the dark side? they turn evil and cause random crashing sometimes (which i'm sure you've run into before.) try deleting and re-adding them to your WAD. nice find with the zipline trigger, too. :D never heard of that before.

x

can't be done with the original level editor, but with TREP or TRNG it's perfectly possible, yes. you using either of those or just the plain old level editor that came with the download?

Vanni
27-06-11, 22:24
i've never had an instance where plain old room geometry caused my game to crash. unless it's already a huge level with tons of broken triangles, then you can run into troubles. the problem has gotta be your WAD or your executable. you using TREP or TRNG, deej? a newly activated patch or feature that isn't configured properly? or maybe one of the objects has gone to the dark side? they turn evil and cause random crashing sometimes (which i'm sure you've run into before.) try deleting and re-adding them to your WAD. nice find with the zipline trigger, too. :D never heard of that before.

can't be done with the original level editor, but with TREP or TRNG it's perfectly possible, yes. you using either of those or just the plain old level editor that came with the download?

I'm using the version that came with TR:C for the PC. What is TREP?

x

Titak
27-06-11, 22:25
BTW. I found out grabbing a zipline activates a trigger if I set SWITCH for DEATH_SLIDE, just like it can be done for SWITCH_TYPEX. Is it already a well-known trick or have I discovered something new?It's new to me. :D

Yep. :)
If you class the room as outside, and cold, Laras breath will appear, however if not classed as outside and cold her breath wont appear. :)But only with TREP or TRNG. Not possible with the original TRLE only.
(Like Kapu already said... me behind facts... :o )

FloTheMachine
27-06-11, 22:25
Its a patching program, which lets you tick boxes basically to change the effects of your executable.

I'd advise getting NGLE though if you decide to use TRNG or TREP. :p

^
Wasn't aware at the time Vanni was using Room Edit. :(

Titak
27-06-11, 22:30
TRNG includes NGLE, can't use TRNG without the NGLE...

But NGLE is indeed better when wanting to use TREP, also because you can set rooms to "cold" with the NGLE and this can't be done with the original TRLE.

TREP homepage (http://trep.trlevel.de/en/index.html)
TRNG homepage (http://www.trlevelmanager.net/ng.htm)

TREP and TRNG are NOT compatible so you have to choose one of them.

Kapu
27-06-11, 22:32
I'm using the version that came with TR:C for the PC. What is TREP?

x
Tomb Raider Engine Patcher. simple and easy to use, but very powerful program that allows you to "change various hardcoded parameters, modify object and trigger behaviour, add new gameplay features, create your own custom flipeffects, timed events and patches." the user's guide is right here (http://trep.trlevel.de/en/trep_manual.html) if you'd like to check out some of the features. that's the main site; you can download the program from there as well if you're interested.

unfortunately TREP doesn't see many updates anymore and TRNG has taken over the TRLE community. TRNG (next generation level editor) can do the majority of the things TREP can, minus a few features, and by now, much more, although from what i gather it's a little more complicated to setup and in general is more difficult to use than TREP. it's actively in development and is always evolving. you can get it at skribblerz.com. i don't use it so someone else will have to fill you in with all the links and crap.

Vanni
27-06-11, 22:37
...So which one do I get? Do I have to buy it? And does no one use "room edit" anymore? :( I was looking at trsearch.org: Can I get any of those things with the program I have?

x

Kapu
27-06-11, 22:45
most people these days use NGLE instead of Room Edit. TRNG is made up of the new game engine (the tomb4.exe) called TRNG, and the new room editor, called NGLE. NGLE is the same old room editor, but with a slightly updated interface and a bunch of new features, some of the bigger ones being larger texture sizes, which means sharper, more high quality textures, and the Exit & Play feature, which saves your project, outputs your WAD, converts your level for you and opens up the game with the click of a single button. there's a ton more features than that, but those are a few basics to give you an idea. if you use TREP, you can use an older version of NGLE that's compatible with it, otherwise you can use the new version that works with the new TRNG engine.

oh, and both are absolutely free of charge. not sure what you mean about TRSearch...?

Vanni
27-06-11, 22:56
most people these days use NGLE instead of Room Edit. TRNG is made up of the new game engine (the tomb4.exe) called TRNG, and the new room editor, called NGLE. NGLE is the same old room editor, but with a slightly updated interface and a bunch of new features, some of the bigger ones being larger texture sizes, which means sharper, more high quality textures, and the Exit & Play feature, which saves your project, outputs your WAD, converts your level for you and opens up the game with the click of a single button. there's a ton more features than that, but those are a few basics to give you an idea. if you use TREP, you can use an older version of NGLE that's compatible with it, otherwise you can use the new version that works with the new TRNG engine.

oh, and both are absolutely free of charge. not sure what you mean about TRSearch...?

This: http://www.trsearch.org/Media.php?action=getlist&typeid=17&page=13&sort=

I saw some people mentioning it as a place to get new animations and outfits and whatnot.

Can I just download the TREP and work with it, or should I use basic Room Edit, first? I'm on page 15 of the manual for it (-____-), but I guess I wouldn't mind starting over on a new one if it means newer/better things.

x

EDIT:

I can't even figure out how to download it. It says something about a file extension and then opens Internet Explorer... :confused:

x

Kapu
27-06-11, 23:36
you installing TREP, then? you've downloaded v. 0.76 rev. 5b of TREP from the site, right? what file are you trying to open that gives you the error and opens up IE?

Vanni
28-06-11, 00:45
you installing TREP, then? you've downloaded v. 0.76 rev. 5b of TREP from the site, right? what file are you trying to open that gives you the error and opens up IE?

I've not downloaded anything yet. And I'm trying to download this: http://trep.trlevel.de/en/downloads.html (the first one).

x

Kapu
28-06-11, 01:13
a download box should pop up when you click the link. right click and see if it says "save link as" or something like that. it's just a regular download, no file extension stuff should pop up.

you'll need WinRAR or 7Zip to decompress the file when you've downloaded it, too. you have either of those?