PDA

View Full Version : Open TRLE Chat - Basic Questions, Inquiries, & Help Thread!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72

disapearing-boy
17-07-17, 16:07
Caves - end up with very jaggy floors with very little to stand on

Do you use the random floor feature? It can create very jaggy floors. If you
look at the Settomb prj it's not that bumpy just slopped. Maybe make the floors slope in one direction then make small changes on select tiles. Steeper slopes against the walls.

Outdoor terrain - can't hide horizon too well

Horizons are usually hid behind another inaccessible room - Tr2's Tibetan foothills hides the horizon poorly -- TR3 & 4 built rooms the player couldn't access to avoid this. Even look at the start of the Karnak level or Coastal Ruins to see how the horizon blends.

Large combined rooms - end up looking too empty

I like to keep the Lara_double in my wad and place her in a room when building - it's better to get a sense of scale. You could just place Lara instead of course.

sampiza
17-07-17, 16:26
@OverRaider

You can rotate the same way you rotate a normal texture, you just have to keep pressing alt.Now in strpix idk...

Joey79100
17-07-17, 17:11
In STRPix the keys are different.
Ctrl + Click = Get texture
Alt + Click = Rotate texture
Shift + Click = Mirror texture
Ctrl + Alt + Click = Change triangle of the texture

Opaque79
17-07-17, 17:35
Do you use the random floor feature? It can create very jaggy floors. If you
look at the Settomb prj it's not that bumpy just slopped. Maybe make the floors slope in one direction then make small changes on select tiles. Steeper slopes against the walls.

Horizons are usually hid behind another inaccessible room - Tr2's Tibetan foothills hides the horizon poorly -- TR3 & 4 built rooms the player couldn't access to avoid this. Even look at the start of the Karnak level or Coastal Ruins to see how the horizon blends.

I like to keep the Lara_double in my wad and place her in a room when building - it's better to get a sense of scale. You could just place Lara instead of course.

Thanks for that. It could come in useful. Is it better to use non-quadrilateral rooms (squares, rectangles etc.) for building caves so that they look more natural?
No. I don't use the random floor feature

OverRaider
17-07-17, 17:43
@OverRaider

You can rotate the same way you rotate a normal texture, you just have to keep pressing alt.Now in strpix idk...
For some reason I thught I tried this one so didn`t think to try that again :D thanks

In STRPix the keys are different.
Ctrl + Click = Get texture
Alt + Click = Rotate texture
Shift + Click = Mirror texture
Ctrl + Alt + Click = Change triangle of the texture
Yes I know these but I thought there could be a way to apply whole texture tile on triangulated face with one click and rotate it instead of struggling with triangles, sometimes it is even hard to see in StrPix if the triangle part of the texture is rotated correctly

disapearing-boy
17-07-17, 17:45
Hello, something weird is happening in my level, there's a key and a crowbar switch in the same room but in game the crowbar switch doesn't shows up and the same thing happens to the key if i delete the switch and put it again, i really don't what this is...

I have no idea what's happening here tbh. Have you tried placing them both in a test room to see if they still affect each other?

Sometimes objects are linked in weird ways. Or it's more than likely just a corrupted object or map. Try deleting both objects from the wad and add them again.

Opaque79
17-07-17, 21:06
Excuse my last question. It should have been obvious to me that most caves are not square.

sampiza
17-07-17, 21:43
I deleted the objects and replaced them and it worked! Thx disapearing-boy. :D

Opaque79
17-07-17, 22:16
Here's a clearer description of my situation.

I would like to create a sort of cave-like level with lava pits, torch puzzles etc. Similar style to The Lost Domain in AOD.

But as I currently struggle to make caves and such, I can't bring that idea to life.

In short, anything I want to make, I can't make due to difficulty building that kind of landscape.

sampiza
18-07-17, 01:33
How can i disable the option to choose a level in the menu?

LoreRaider
18-07-17, 08:23
How can i disable the option to choose a level in the menu?
On options:
PlayAnyLevel= DISABLED ;)

Dustie
18-07-17, 09:59
I wish there was an option to keep level select, but also to start the game in the predefined level-by-level mode.

sampiza
18-07-17, 11:33
I wish there was an option to keep level select, but also to start the game in the predefined level-by-level mode.

Yeah...I wish that too.

On options:
;)

Thx LoreRaider. :D

Opaque79
18-07-17, 12:20
Here's a clearer description of my situation.

I would like to create a sort of cave-like level with lava pits, torch puzzles etc. Similar style to The Lost Domain in AOD.

But as I currently struggle to make caves and such, I can't bring that idea to life.

In short, anything I want to make, I can't make due to difficulty building that kind of landscape.

My situation is not just the above but pretty much any good idea I get, I can't build it lol.

I will assume I can only improve by experimentation, others can only help so much.

Apologies for this, I do want to make my ideas come to life eventually.

TombGuardian
18-07-17, 12:34
My situation is not just the above but pretty much any good idea I get, I can't build it lol.

I will assume I can only improve by experimentation, others can only help so much.

Apologies for this, I do want to make my ideas come to life eventually.
I have a similiar problem with artificial things... like houses or rooms in general. But the worst thing is when you have to connect outside areas with 'inside' areas... so HARD. That's why I'm building a new level right now to see if I can improve xD

Opaque79
18-07-17, 13:27
I have a similiar problem with artificial things... like houses or rooms in general. But the worst thing is when you have to connect outside areas with 'inside' areas... so HARD. That's why I'm building a new level right now to see if I can improve xD

That's why I stick to indoor areas for now so I can work on caves and such which even then I struggle with.

I can visualize ideas in my head, but I can't build them.:(

SrDanielPonces
18-07-17, 14:30
LevelSelect= Disabled (in the options settings i think on the script)

Opaque79
18-07-17, 15:15
OK. Here is another attempt at a cave. Imgur not working at the mo.:(

https://scontent.fbhx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20121488_131180740815630_2603771774205570388_o.jpg ?oh=6802399d29a2aa537f87779860216f03&oe=59F5B347

And in-game
https://scontent.fbhx1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20228363_131180794148958_1322389631071966513_n.jpg ?oh=c8c5352138bb164eb43fd8e87bad9f4c&oe=59F57DBD

How does it look. Just geometry.:)

disapearing-boy
18-07-17, 16:00
^^ I think you should have some flat walls - don't rely only on floors & ceilings.

Good cave textures will do a lot of the work. Look at these pics and you can clearly see the walls are flat. But it looks good.

http://www.crimsontear.com/gaming/tomb-raider/tr4/screens/lv3-screen1.jpg

http://www.crimsontear.com/gaming/tomb-raider/tr4/screens/lv3-secret1-lg.jpg

I think you're trying too hard.;)

Opaque79
18-07-17, 16:05
So what you're saying is to have some flat walls and don't try to form the cave just with the floor and ceiling right?

disapearing-boy
18-07-17, 16:14
Exactly, that's how Core done it.:D You'll have more options and more complicated layouts - the slopes can blend into the walls, like in Nevda, Valley of the Kings ect.. to create very rocky walls.

TR5 does this well with Ireland (and Coastal Ruins in TR5)

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/rr_carroll/TR5/GallowsTree50.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/rr_carroll/media/TR5/GallowsTree50.jpg.html)

You could have walls above geometry like this (or entrances to other parts of the caves above the player) But I would advise even a little wall between ceiling & floor.:)

Opaque79
18-07-17, 16:30
Well OK. Here's what I did with your advice

Editor Screens
http://i.imgur.com/GdahBuc.jpg

With textures and lighting
http://i.imgur.com/klWQir3.jpg

In game - probably too much shadow
http://i.imgur.com/94LxEhj.png

Better?

disapearing-boy
18-07-17, 16:46
Yes, I think it's much better.:)

Tip : the slopes on the ground can also be rock textures and not just sand. Have a mix of both. This will also add variety.

Opaque79
18-07-17, 16:56
Right. I will consider that. TRUB textures don't have much variety but I just make sure that the rock colours match with the next texture.:)

Danath
18-07-17, 17:24
I'm not an expert on geometry by any means, but i would always have flat walls then slopes next to it, like you are doing now. Just my opinion of course. ;)

It looks great, you are making me want to do a classic TR1 egypt level! :D

Opaque79
18-07-17, 18:10
After double checking the Tomb Of Seth example in TRLE, I see how the use of flat walls and sloped floors and ceilings work to make a cave. Even City of Khamoon in TR1 does this.:)

disapearing-boy
18-07-17, 19:16
^^ Now your getting it. Everything in moderation. Although TR1/2 had no triangles so it's caves were less organic but still looked great.

Do not fear the 90 degree angles.:p

Opaque79
18-07-17, 19:31
You're right. TR4 textures may be better but TR1 textures work just as well.

You're also right about TR1 having no triangles, didn't check TR2 though

TombGuardian
18-07-17, 19:56
Guys I have a question.
I'm using a texture set remake from TR2 in HD downloaded from trsearch

The thing is that some textures are missing and some textures look very bad(some textures are of one colour only... like it is bucketed from paint :D )

So... what's the best way to Remake a texture set from classics games but in HD? I have GIMP and Paint.NET, but my skills there are very bad

Thanks in advance :D

disapearing-boy
18-07-17, 22:16
Guys I have a question.
So... what's the best way to Remake a texture set from classics games but in HD? I have GIMP and Paint.NET, but my skills there are very bad

To remake a texture you typically want to find a similar 'base' image from a free texture website for example is your texture stone, concrete, plaster - then find an image that matches even if it's a different colour.

There's a feature called 'match statistic' in photoshop which allows you to copy the colour tones from one image to another. So if you have grey rock textures but you want them blue like TR you can load in the original TR texture tones and make your texture blue. It works well on some images and hideously on others. For complex images you will often have to crop different parts and work on them seperately.

The dodge/burn tools can be used to brighten/darken areas to add highlights or shadows but it can quicly ruin an image. Always experiment on a copy of your image!

You can use the dropper tool to select colours from the original texture to paint colours (at low opacity) onto the new image.

Example :
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Reese-Evans/TEXTURE_REMAKE.jpg

For this image I found a plain metal texture from textures.com, used the match statistic feature with some trial and error (it came out hideous first time - so I reduced the contrast a lot) and then I painted the highlights & colours. Then I added some bolts from a pic of an aircraft I found on the same website. I mixed them in with a blend option in the layer panel (there are many options - experiment). Brighting the bolts and darkening the edges with the dodge/burn tools.

I also added a grate too the image for the version on the bottom (using the same steps) to create thse VCI textures. I also stretched the grating and added a copy to get more vents to match the original. ;)

LoreRaider
19-07-17, 09:55
Hello there, can someone recommend me a good day lighting (room colour and sunbulb)?
I'm trying several values, but I don't like the result :o

Joey79100
19-07-17, 10:07
It all depends on your sky.
Blue/grey ambiance room (48/64/96) and yellow sun (255/207/111) for example.
Don't forget the lensflare to make a real sun though. :mis:

LoreRaider
19-07-17, 11:32
This is a nice colour, I should change the room colour since Lara has that one :)
I still have also to find a good horizon, I just need the daylight for a part of the level :p

TombGuardian
19-07-17, 15:05
To remake a texture you typically want to find a similar 'base' image from a free texture website for example is your texture stone, concrete, plaster - then find an image that matches even if it's a different colour.

There's a feature called 'match statistic' in photoshop which allows you to copy the colour tones from one image to another. So if you have grey rock textures but you want them blue like TR you can load in the original TR texture tones and make your texture blue. It works well on some images and hideously on others. For complex images you will often have to crop different parts and work on them seperately.

The dodge/burn tools can be used to brighten/darken areas to add highlights or shadows but it can quicly ruin an image. Always experiment on a copy of your image!

You can use the dropper tool to select colours from the original texture to paint colours (at low opacity) onto the new image.

Example :
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Reese-Evans/TEXTURE_REMAKE.jpg

For this image I found a plain metal texture from textures.com, used the match statistic feature with some trial and error (it came out hideous first time - so I reduced the contrast a lot) and then I painted the highlights & colours. Then I added some bolts from a pic of an aircraft I found on the same website. I mixed them in with a blend option in the layer panel (there are many options - experiment). Brighting the bolts and darkening the edges with the dodge/burn tools.

I also added a grate too the image for the version on the bottom (using the same steps) to create thse VCI textures. I also stretched the grating and added a copy to get more vents to match the original. ;)

Where do I find 'Match statistics' option?

EDIT:
And is there any other texture site?
Some texture sites in the 'Texture sites' page http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=5860670#post5860670 either doesn't work or redirect me to 'ads' or viruses pages...
textures.com has limitations too :/

disapearing-boy
19-07-17, 15:14
Where do I find 'Match statistics' option?

Apparently only photoshop has it - it's under "Image - Adjustments - Match Colour" menu.

It seems like it's more complex to do in Gimp;
https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/13187/does-gimp-have-a-match-color-function-similar-to-that-in-adobe-photoshop

And this is the website I mostly use;

https://www.textures.com/

TombGuardian
19-07-17, 15:38
Apparently only photoshop has it - it's under "Image - Adjustments - Match Colour" menu.

It seems like it's more complex to do in Gimp;
https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/13187/does-gimp-have-a-match-color-function-similar-to-that-in-adobe-photoshop

And this is the website I mostly use;

https://www.textures.com/
Thanks....
whatever, I made an account on that site, even if that 15 downloads limit is so bad....

The thing is that I wanted to try your same texture remake...
I downloaded the same Metal texture, but it is in 1024 - 968 pixels.... how to make it 128 - 128 properly(on photoshop, I had it but didn't remember ) without losing quality? I tried to 'resize image' but now it looks very BAD.
Thanks

SrDanielPonces
19-07-17, 15:54
umm make the texture in high quality and after it is done, rezise everything.

disapearing-boy
19-07-17, 16:08
The thing is that I wanted to try your same texture remake...
I downloaded the same Metal texture, but it is in 1024 - 968 pixels.... how to make it 128 - 128 properly(on photoshop, I had it but didn't remember ) without losing quality? I tried to 'resize image' but now it looks very BAD.
Thanks

I actually resized it to 256 first to work on it. When resizing a very large image to a very small one you get a better result doing it gradually (or so I read). It's also easier to work on a larger image. You can resize again to 128 when done.;)

A 128 image will always look very bad -- have you ever opened a classic TR texture into photoshop? It looks terrible but good in game:p. Test your image in game just to compare -- you'd be surprised sometimes.

Alternatively you can crop the canvas instead of resizing - basically you get a very close up view of part of the texture. I do this for soil or sand where I need the player to be able to see the grains. This way you keep the original resolution of your texture.

Opaque79
19-07-17, 18:00
As well as flat walls in caves, am I right in saying that caves can look better when the rooms are not square or rectangle - adding walls to change shape of room?

TombGuardian
19-07-17, 19:26
As well as flat walls in caves, am I right in saying that caves can look better when the rooms are not square or rectangle - adding walls to change shape of room?

Of course ;)

Titak
19-07-17, 20:19
That goes without saying really.
Natural environments don't look square and blocky. So when trying to make a cave, which is ofcourse a natural structure, one should try to make it as irregular as possible. As in, lots of slopes and triangles.
Since the editor is block based, we can't really make it look natural, but when done right, I think we can do a pretty good job with it. :D

Opaque79
19-07-17, 20:29
Thanks, Titak. I tried shaping caves with only the floor and ceiling, which didn't work out too well (not in all cases anyway).

Basically saying the the floor and ceiling don't always need to be touching.

Titak
20-07-17, 16:20
Ofcourse you don't always have to shape the ceiling and floors. It depends on what kind of cave you want and how it looks.
But it sure helps to shape ceiling and floor, especially on the edges where the walls are.

Opaque79
21-07-17, 12:31
I seem to have grasped the idea of making caves now after finding out that focusing on one area at a time and not the whole room.

I posted two screenshots in this thread
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=7762700#post7762700

Resulted in a decent looking cave and I feel I have improved.:D

DunHill
21-07-17, 12:40
I seem to have grasped the idea of making caves now after finding out that focusing on one area at a time and not the whole room.

I posted two screenshots in this thread
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=7762700#post7762700

Resulted in a decent looking cave and I feel I have improved.:D

That's really looking good ! :)
And I love those textures as well, even though it's just the TR1 Egypt TGA :D

Opaque79
21-07-17, 14:08
Even though the TR1 egypt texture have little variation, they seem to be the simplest to texture caves with. :D

Caves do seem to turn out better in bigger rooms though.

LoreRaider
21-07-17, 19:13
New error message for me:
http://i.imgur.com/q3B0rM0.jpg
Anyone encountered this before?
I tried to reset the animation ranges, deleting the useless texinfos, but the error it's still here... :o
The editor says that I have 280 texinfos of 1024, the converter, says 77, then it crashes :ponder:

EDIT: Fortunately I had backup projects, so I used the last that was working, I had to do on hour of work again, but at least I don't have the project corrpted anymore :p
I still want to know from what it's caused this error anyway :ponder:

Opaque79
22-07-17, 14:40
I usually become overwhelmed when thinking about building levels because I think of it as a whole and not in parts.

In short, I think about what the finished level will be like and not the current task and it's really hard for me to break this habit.

Does anyone have advice, please?

(Apologies if this question is stupid)

MBog
22-07-17, 17:07
Something strange is happenning in my level:
I put a rollingball above some slopes, but when I trigger it the rollingball slowly slides downwards through the floor.
Do you know any sollution?

TombGuardian
22-07-17, 17:58
I usually become overwhelmed when thinking about building levels because I think of it as a whole and not in parts.

In short, I think about what the finished level will be like and not the current task and it's really hard for me to break this habit.

Does anyone have advice, please?

(Apologies if this question is stupid)
It happens to me too :D don't worry

MBog
22-07-17, 18:24
Dumb Question: How can I see statics in Strpix ?

disapearing-boy
22-07-17, 21:00
There's a separate menu on the left for viewing statics (beneath the texture window):)

Opaque79
22-07-17, 21:03
Thinking about making a level in TR1 caves style. Should I extract the textures myself or find them online? Same with objects.

DJ Full
23-07-17, 02:54
This doesn't really matter, I guess trsearch has all the wads and tgas.
But you could take some rock photos to get cave textures like in no other level :)

Opaque79
23-07-17, 10:04
Thanks but I am focusing on sticking to classic assets. Textures are easy enough, objects I could possibly use trsearch t ofind enemies.:)

Deathly Karma
23-07-17, 12:48
Hey guys, can anyone send me the full TGA file for the Lost City of Tinnos HD pack? Because I've downloaded both parts but they won't extract. :confused:

sampiza
23-07-17, 19:56
What's the name object that Lara has to equilibrate to move foward? I can't find it.

MBog
23-07-17, 21:42
Tight rope I think.
@ disappearing_boy Thank you!

DJ Full
24-07-17, 12:06
The tight rope is in DEATH_SLIDE slot, here (http://www.tomb-raider-editor.com/english/tut-ziplines-en.php)'s a tutorial on how to set it up.

Joey79100
24-07-17, 13:17
In TRNG, TIGHT_ROPE has its own slot, DEATH_SLIDE can remain for the... hum... that handle you grab to slide hanging to a cable... how is it called? :p

EDIT: But indeed we're in the TRLE chat, so nevermind. :p

LoreRaider
24-07-17, 16:39
Does anyone know how to fix the bugged logo and lines (New Game, Load Game etc...) on title screen? When I put just one transparent texture (the first of the palette) somewhere, it bugs those two things :o

Joey79100
24-07-17, 17:16
As far as I know there's nothing we can do about it apart from not having a horizon. Maybe, if you're using TRNG (in which case you should post in the TRNG chat instead :p), the WindowsFont= could help, as it's a new way of rendering fonts? I have no idea how it works though. :ponder:

DJ Full
24-07-17, 17:30
Is there any 100% working way to prevent the waves on water?
I just have a square pool here, shouldn't cause any trouble of that sort.
I followed this tutorial (http://trforge.net/advent/2012/day15/index-en.php) thoroughly and it still wobbles.

Joey79100
24-07-17, 17:46
What if you enable NL in the room above? I have a strange bug where the floor in two rooms moves like if there was some water underneath it, and strangely, enabling NL gets rid of it.
I've recorded it yesterday or the day before by the way, I wanted to upload it and I forgot to do so. :facepalm:

Titak
24-07-17, 17:53
^
Do you have a global lense flare (the one from the script) in your level? :ponder:

@ DJ Full:
I take it you tried this part?
or simply if you want some quiet water areas, you can prevent the wave movements on certain squares. To do this go into the water room and choose the door from the ceiling and activate Toggle Opacity 2. Where there should be no waves, apply a transparent texture from the texture panel. The remaining areas can texturize the gray transparent color from the color palette. This does not prevent the waves.
Works for me.
At least I can't see any wobbling... :ponder:

What if you texture both sides of the watersurface with a taxture from the TGA?
I don't know for 100% if it stops the movement completely, but it sure does reduce it a lot.

OverRaider
24-07-17, 17:54
Is there any 100% working way to prevent the waves on water?
Texturizing the the portal from both sides (from above and from underneath) instead of using double-sided does it for me

EDIT: Titak beat me to it

DJ Full
24-07-17, 18:28
What if you enable NL in the room above?No difference. Tried NL in the room above, in both, with and without reflection.

Do you have a global lense flareNo lens flare in this level. No local lens flares also.

choose the door from the ceiling apply transparent texture from the texture panelDid that, and this bottom part doesn't wobble indeed. But the upper surface still does, even if I apply no tga texture, or no opacity at all. I also tried palette transparencies, black and grey, without a difference.

What if you texture both sides of the watersurface with a taxture from the TGA?Doesn't work.

Texturizing the the portal from both sides (from above and from underneath) instead of using double-sidedInstead?? Wait...

nope, still doesn't work. Doesn't matter:
- one sided from above
- one sided from below
- one sided from above one sided from below
- double sided from above
- double sided from below
- one sided from above double sided from below
- one sided from below double sided from above
- double sided from both.

This room which causes problems is flipmap 7 in flipped state. Its unflipped counterpart is also flooded but it's mostly filled with walls and doesn't even have a portal, therefore no logical reason to cause any wobbling... shouldn't matter... I think...

Works for me.Could I have exact parameters?
For both upper and lower room:
Room ID, room state, floor/ceiling TGA tile ID (or palette ID if it's a palette color), reflection value, wave value, outside/inside, flare/no flare, etc? :specialsnowflake:
There are, in fact, hundreds of combinations, and I already lost several hours :cry:

Titak
25-07-17, 06:44
Could I have exact parameters?
For both upper and lower room:
Room ID, room state, floor/ceiling TGA tile ID (or palette ID if it's a palette color), reflection value, wave value, outside/inside, flare/no flare, etc? :specialsnowflake:
There are, in fact, hundreds of combinations, and I already lost several hours :cry:
I checked one of the pools, put Lara in DOZY mode so she would be completely still and watched the watersurface aroudn her.
I couldn't see any up and down movement, even though I thought it moved before. But I guess it looked like movement due to the water textures animating? :ponder:

Anyway, here are the settings:
Dry room:
Room number 70.
No outside, flare or flipmap.
With reflection setting 1.
A small one-colour texture is applied, transparent and doublesided, on the water surface. It is 1/4 of texture number 18.
The watersurface takes up the entire floor of the room, except for one column.

Water room:
Room number 6, water value is 1.
No flipmap, but it is a damage room.
Entire ceiling is the watersurface to the room above. (except for that one column ofcourse)
Water textures are applied, transparent and doublesided, on the water surface (ceiling). Animationg range starts at texture 20 and is 15 tiles long.

Speaking of flipmaps...
Isn't the water still in flipmaps? :ponder:
I seem to remember noticing that in one of my earlier levels.

SrDanielPonces
25-07-17, 07:57
As far as I know there's nothing we can do about it apart from not having a horizon. Maybe, if you're using TRNG (in which case you should post in the TRNG chat instead :p), the WindowsFont= could help, as it's a new way of rendering fonts? I have no idea how it works though. :ponder:

I've used WindowsFont= And it is NOT good. It literally lags the entire game. The game lags everytime I'm on the title and title screen. you won't imagine if there's a legend at the beggining of th level!

Don't use WindowsFont on your levels, folks!

LoreRaider
25-07-17, 08:03
Thanks for the answers, I will put the flyby camera upper to show the ground, so I will not show the horizon, too bad, I would have really liked to use the flyby as I put it now :o

MBog
25-07-17, 08:09
Maybe you could fake the horizn using an extra room and additional textures? TR1 style ;)

DJ Full
25-07-17, 16:28
Speaking of flipmaps... Isn't the water still in flipmaps?
That's what I thought also - I viewed flipmaps as "weaker" rooms, with less options...
E.g. you fall thru "solid" portal from dry to water, but not if the water room is flipped...
Also e.g., trapdoors are noticed in normal rooms but not so much in the flipped ones...
So that should be logical: flipmap - no wobble. Unflipmap - wobble or not, optional.

But at least in this case, it's reverse. I applied your exact parameters. No success.
Then I applied your exact parameters without the flipmap and it doesn't wobble.

So it seems contrary to the entire TR logic but I really need to swap flooded and dry.
For this one tweak I need to entirely reconstruct what was to be released tomorrow.
Great... Gods, give me patience, because if you give me power... :pi::pi::pi::pi::pi:

I really want to understand how you could build for 15 years and stay sane.
But if you can, I can also... Thanks for all the help, again...

Joey79100
25-07-17, 16:40
Or you could use Meta2TR to change the weight value of the vertices where you don't want any moving (from 0.02 to 0.00?). So you can keep your level intact. Not sure it's possible, never done this. :p

DJ Full
25-07-17, 17:08
Nah, too late... I'm halfway done with reconstructing.
Also too late for meta, this level is too complex for new stuff.
But thanks, I might try in the next one, if I ever need it :)

DJ Full
25-07-17, 20:21
OK so I flipped this whole area and a flyby-activated heavy ceased to work.
It once was in the unflipped room, after the inversion it's in the flipped one.
The problem is defo with the blue "T" blocker which is then trigger-triggered.

Am I right assuming if a flipmap changes the floor height, such blocker will fail?
That it still registers the unflipped floor height, despite of placement on flipped?
It feels just like this...

Titak
26-07-17, 06:43
I really want to understand how you could build for 15 years and stay sane.
But if you can, I can also... Thanks for all the help, again...Who says I'm sane? :admles:

Nah, too late... I'm halfway done with reconstructing.
Also too late for meta, this level is too complex for new stuff.
Actually, you might want to give it a try anyway, just to see what happens. And even if it is just for this water.
One of my levels was stuffed to the rim. Or so I thought. Because when I edited it with Meta2TR, it could handle a lot more stuff after all. :D

DJ Full
26-07-17, 16:12
Actually, you might want to give it a try anyway, just to see what happens.noooOOooOOOooo.... you don't realize what state this level is at.
It's not about being technically overfilled, it's about the setup interference.
I already have an alpha, then I touch something and get gamestoppers.
In fact I built this within two months then it's been four months of fixing.
Because any little touch, any fix I make almost always breaks something else.
In some places I have a workaround around a workaround around a workaround.
Since I said I have 270 triggergroups I added 500 just to fix all broken stuff.
I might try meta with my 20x20x20 when I return to it, but here, I dare not.

Who says I'm sane? :admles: This is, in fact, something I'm absolutely sure about :D

LGG_PRODUCTION
28-07-17, 07:50
Sorry for the off-topic thread, but, what about TRSearch?
It's a lot of time that we can't upload objects there..
Maybe there is a new site for the objects?
Or maybe the TRLE is dying..

Dustie
28-07-17, 09:17
^ Was thinking the same thing... it's been a while... Maybe some people could help out?

Revenge
29-07-17, 17:47
Does anyone know what could make the tomb2pc crash right after 'tex room infos' ? I thought it could have been the wad but I remade it and it still doesn't work. :p

Dustie
30-07-17, 08:25
Does distance fog work above and below (up and down)? Or to the sides only?

Titak
30-07-17, 11:43
Down for sure, so I guess up as well.
Never really tested that actually... :ponder:

Dustie
30-07-17, 11:45
Down is sufficient... but yes, what about the sky? If distance fog is on, is the sky foggy as well?

Titak
30-07-17, 13:42
Depends on what you mean with sky.
An open horizon with clouds? Then the fog won't make the sky/clouds foggy as far as I know.
A closed horizon using the same colour as the fog? Then it should work.

Octo
30-07-17, 20:00
I've built a wad but the lara_draw sound is missing. In WADmerger's sound manager it is unchecked (I didn't actually use the sound manager).

I did find that in the template wad I was using, the lara_draw sound was connected to the baddy2 object. Is there a way to add the sound to the wad or should I just rebuild it but keep the original baddy2 object?

Dustie
30-07-17, 21:05
Depends on what you mean with sky.
An open horizon with clouds? Then the fog won't make the sky/clouds foggy as far as I know.
A closed horizon using the same colour as the fog? Then it should work.

What I mean is if the fog works "above Lara" and "below Lara", I don't know how else to explain this, lol :) It works below, yes? What about above? Regardless of what horizon is used, is it even applied to the view at certain height above Lara?

Titak
30-07-17, 21:37
As far as I know, yes.
I see no reason why it shouldn't. :ponder:
Have you tried it?

Dustie
31-07-17, 09:26
No, I probably will need to try it... I will have to make a test level with giant space above and below...

TombHackR
31-07-17, 16:47
Can anyone help me out?

There is an unusually long delay after pressing the Esc button to view the inventory, the game freezes for a second, and the inventory menu is opened. Also, the game generally runs slowly as well. Why is this happening? It's a brand new PC with a good graphics card

Joey79100
31-07-17, 17:24
The lag when opening the inventory is due to the engine trying to draw the (buggued) background which is specific to 32-bit color mode (ie. in 16-bit color mode you don't have this, but this should not be considered as a fix).
That's why it's so precious to always use a custom background, because it gets rid of this lag (and because otherwise the background is fully white on some computers, which hurts the eye).
So I really really really encourage you to use a custom background, using CUST_BACKGROUND, even if it's a very simple one (the game but a bit darker, and/or black and white, as you wish). It gets rid of both the lag and the the buggued background. :p

About the general lag, if you're in full screen, try the Soft Full Screen mode in the setup. If it doesn't work and the lag happens in certain periods (no matter what you're looking at in-game), try the Administrator mode. It seems to give better performances on my end when the computer decides it's too lazy to run the game properly. :ponder:

TombHackR
31-07-17, 18:52
Okay thanks for the help!

I have switched to 16 bit as a temporary fix until I use a custom background.

There is no longer a delay but it has produced a cool looking glitch

http://imgur.com/a/di3JF

THOR2010
01-08-17, 04:01
does anyone know how to get set to enter his floating state when lara is high above him, he seems to just do it in TR4 on his own, but when i try similar scenarios in my own level he just run around on the ground not even shooting at lara?

SrDanielPonces
02-08-17, 15:05
Where can I find symsi's swingpole Animations? The links are dead.

LoreRaider
02-08-17, 15:57
^
I have them, If you want I send you in private the link for them :)

sampiza
02-08-17, 21:52
Hi guys :wve: something weird is happening to my Sas and my baddy, idk why.Baddy just stay in that position and when i face Sas this happens. (first image is Baddy and the seconde one is SAS)

http://i.imgur.com/2ljR3S1.png

Ray Croft
03-08-17, 07:42
Is it not possible to activate 2 Flipmaps using one switch? A switch is supposed to drain 2 water rooms, i set a seperate Flipmap trigger for both but only one of them gets drained. Or is there another way?

LoreRaider
03-08-17, 08:12
^
Use a rollingball that activates both flipeffects while it goes down :p
You put OCB 1 on the rollingball, so that you can't hear it and see the rumble :)

Ray Croft
03-08-17, 08:18
^

That worked. Thanks! :D

Titak
03-08-17, 08:19
@ Ray Croft:
From what you wrote I get the impression that you have seperate flipmaps for each room.
This is not needed as one flipmap can have several rooms in it.
So if you don't have the same flipmap number for each room, 1 for example, you should give that a try and then you only have to use one flipmap trigger: for flipmap 1 which contains the 2 rooms.

@ sampiza:
That's also the effect that can appear when using a custom SCORPION which has poisoned Lara... :ponder:
Is it a custom SAS you are using?

Ray Croft
03-08-17, 08:22
@Titak

I never knew that. I always thought i had to set a Trigger for every room. Thanks!

sampiza
03-08-17, 11:33
@ sampiza:
That's also the effect that can appear when using a custom SCORPION which has poisoned Lara... :ponder:
Is it a custom SAS you are using?

Yes it is a custom Sas, but any Sas that i put, this bug happens. :(
I'll try putting the original Sas but i really want to use custom.

LoreRaider
03-08-17, 11:41
^
Why don't you try to export the meshes of the custom SAS and import them into the original SAS with StrPix?
Or... exporting every animation of the original SAS and replacing them in the custom one?
In both cases you will have the same animations of the original SAS in the custom SAS, I think you shouldn't have problems with the glitch :)
If you use the second one, be careful with the informations of the animations, like the next animation, frame rate etc.., you will have to change them as the original :)

sampiza
03-08-17, 11:56
I think the problem is in my wad idk, because even the original Sas is bugging. :(

tombraider1703
03-08-17, 12:10
So I'm having a hard time coming up with a good storyline for my levelset.
I roughly know what locations I wanna but I don't know how to tie them together.
Any tips you got for a good story?

Dustie
03-08-17, 12:18
How about you just give up on the storyline and focus on good gameplay? Not every level needs a story, IMO. And no level is good just because it has a good storyline. It certainly shouldn't stop you from making the levels you want, just the fact you're missing a storyline. :)

tombraider1703
03-08-17, 12:19
How about you just give up on the storyline and focus on good gameplay? Not every level needs a story, IMO. And no level is good just because it has a good storyline. It certainly shouldn't stop you from making the levels you want, just the fact you're missing a storyline. :)

Well it is a mystery/horror themed levelset.. and it's really hard realise without a good story I think :o

SrDanielPonces
03-08-17, 12:24
does trle levels even have decent stories lol

tombraider1703
03-08-17, 12:26
does trle levels even have decent stories lol

well at least i want to try.

!araCr0ft
03-08-17, 17:48
I've asked this before but don't think I ever got an answer.
How do I get Lara to make a noise when she hits or bumps into a wall?
I know you have to add the sound to the animation but I can't find the sound when looking at the drop down menu for sounds you can add to an animation.
Any help would be nice, since I haven't really messed with an animations sound before. :o

SrDanielPonces
03-08-17, 18:37
Sounds>add sounds and it should be there.

!araCr0ft
03-08-17, 20:20
Sounds>add sounds and it should be there.

It isn't there when I go to the 'add sound' menu.
Am I needing to add something to the sound notes to enable it or change the files name?

DJ Full
04-08-17, 07:00
WadMerger can only associate with objects those sound slots which are already in the wad.
Begin in TRLE Sound Editor, open the wad, add sound slots you need by adding the wad tag (beginning with #) to them.
Then recompile new .sam .sfx files. Now you can add your new sounds to animations via Wadmerger :)

EDIT: I think sound command limit per animation is 32. Not sure if always, but I hit something like that...
In such case split animation in two and set one after another so they play in chain.

tombraiderxii
05-08-17, 20:07
does anyone know if there are hq versions of the TR2 barkhang or TR3 antarctica textures? Particularly those ice walls or things that could be used for frozen waterfalls?

Dustie
05-08-17, 20:11
I think I remember someone making HQ textures for the Tibet levels. Not sure about Antarctica, TR3 textures have the least amount of remakes, I think...

Opaque79
11-08-17, 16:28
After attempting a TR1 style level shown in this thread
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=218372

It seems that using downloaded objects is a more complicated matter and not all objects work correctly. Seems I am not the only one to experience wierd glitches with downloaded objects

Joey79100
11-08-17, 16:51
This one is a sort of conversion of an old enemy, so it might be the reason why it messes up some things. :ponder:

Opaque79
11-08-17, 19:12
Makes sense. Regardless of the compltcations of TRLE, I do want to pursue this as a hobby as it is productive and can really pass the time which is great for me as I do not do much during the day. :)

Raider99
11-08-17, 19:18
^ Most people just end up porting those enemies themselves... But from my experience, ported enemies from Baddy or EssGee worked the best for me, without bugs, not all of the enemies are available though...

Opaque79
11-08-17, 19:34
The wolves I downloaded worked fine but the bear didn't.

disapearing-boy
14-08-17, 12:35
Has anyone seen the AOD animation extractor that's being developed in the Modding Section?

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=7768817&postcount=565

Of course, AOD Lara would not be compatible with LE Lara, but we could place these animations side by side and pose Lara to match each frame, essentially recreating any animation we wanted.

A_De
15-08-17, 04:06
^ I've seen that but IMO it is too early to talk about that tool because it is not released yet. No ripped animations are available for download either. Sure I'd be interested to have AOD animations in my Unity project though :)

Joey79100
15-08-17, 07:42
Read the thread again, he has released 3 animations already (stand, walk, run). And as it's nakamachi680 that is making it I'm sure the tool will be released very soon. :)

DJ Full
15-08-17, 15:44
Do we have some single-file pack containing all textures from classic TR games?
I don't really want to download and unzip 130+ separate packs we got stored...
I remember Fluen made a big compilation years ago but in .doc file not in TGA...
Also that pack was only around 50 MB so I suspect compression quality loss...
Anything all-in-one and raw quality? Anything?

Dustie
15-08-17, 15:49
I don't think so. Especially that most of the "original textures" downloads are just the complete texture pages ripped from .TR* files using TBuilder, or that other tool to pull textures ("Jack"?), which also have object textures and all that jazz. They are usually quite messy, so they would need to be cleaned up, and if we're talking an all games texture pack, then that means cleaning up around 100 texture sets...

The only original texture sets from Core were the ones that came with the original editor installation and the ones that came with the expansion set.

Danath
15-08-17, 16:12
Would you guys like me to make that compilation of the classic textures? I have all of the TR1-3 + Gold textures extracted using Jack!, i could easily do the cleaning, which i will have to do for my personal use in the future anyway. :)

Opaque79
15-08-17, 16:35
Does anyone find that their creativity diminishes as they build? My TR1 style level started great but I ran out of ideas quickly and I end up either repeating areas or making mediocre rooms with too basic gameplay.

Probably asking too much now. :o

Dustie
15-08-17, 18:53
Would you guys like me to make that compilation of the classic textures? I have all of the TR1-3 + Gold textures extracted using Jack!, i could easily do the cleaning, which i will have to do for my personal use in the future anyway. :)

By cleaning up I meant arranging tiles together the way they are arranged in Core's original texture sets, not just removing the object textures from the bottom :)

So if you can do that, please do! :D

Does anyone find that their creativity diminishes as they build? My TR1 style level started great but I ran out of ideas quickly and I end up either repeating areas or making mediocre rooms with too basic gameplay.

Probably asking too much now. :o

That's normal, everyone has the burn out effect to various extent, but on top of that you seem to be pretty hard on yourself anyway. :)

LoreRaider
15-08-17, 19:03
^ @Opaque79
It's more than a week that I don't continue building my level for lack of ideas :p
I know that you have that problem with leaving something, you should try to find something else to do while you don't have ideas for continue your projects :)

Dustie
15-08-17, 19:22
That's why I always plan levels before I start anything. Otherwise, at least to me, the project is destined to fall.

Opaque79
15-08-17, 19:35
^ @Opaque79
It's more than a week that I don't continue building my level for lack of ideas :p
I know that you have that problem with leaving something, you should try to find something else to do while you don't have ideas for continue your projects :)

@LoreRaider

Your post just made me think again. I thought surely I had this problem with Temple Of Danger. I looked back at that thread and it's true, I almost gave up. Instead, I went back and improved the previous rooms, added more gameplay and whatever. Even then the gameplay in my opinion wasn't the best but when I released it, most comments were positive.

On top of that, my expectations are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high, I am sure many builders took years to perfect their skills.

Thanks.

EDIT: @Dustie. I don't plan anything, that's maybe the problem as well :)

sampiza
15-08-17, 19:45
Just wondering,it is possible to recreate sophia boss fight on trle??

Danath
15-08-17, 19:58
By cleaning up I meant arranging tiles together the way they are arranged in Core's original texture sets, not just removing the object textures from the bottom :)

So if you can do that, please do! :D
Aha, would this one i have right now qualify? I don't know how the original arrangement was.

Great Wall textures (http://imgur.com/a/s8xn0)

@Opaque: Try not to be so hard on yourself, not everything in a level has to be epic to be good (imo). Try to see the level as a "landscape", not just individual connected rooms ( i'm struggling with that ). I would say make the gameplay the way you like it to be, that's what i did. :)
Also remember you don't have to build it super fast, you saw me took a LOT of time to do the levelset as a beginner, and ideas cannot come to me if i try too hard. ;)

Opaque79
15-08-17, 20:25
@Danath

Great point there. I looked back at your thread and your level took 4 months to build.

When I built Temple Of Danger, it took me 11 days. Still had positive comments but could have been better.

To everyone, does anyone prioritize gameplay over texturing and lighting? For example, they build a room, texture it with placeholder textures and then put the gameplay in before proper texturing?

Hope that makes sense. :)

Danath
15-08-17, 20:36
11 days is fast to me. :D I also think it's a good level, with good gameplay. ;)

In my case i like to do the basic geometry and gameplay first and then do the texturing when i like how the gameplay goes. At first i thought i would enjoy texturing in TR way more than i do, but Core's textures are a mess in my opinion, i get stressed when i see how most textures don't blend properly. :vlol:

Joey79100
15-08-17, 20:41
I think that's the best way, from experience. With some levels I've often found myself stuck because I didn't really know how to texturize a room I was making and fill it with objects and good lighting (that is easier to do with a "finished" room, or something close to it), and I wanted to stop and find some new textures, objects, that could fit, and in the end the progression went really slow. Plus I ran out of textures anyway.
With the level I'm building currently I've been putting placeholder textures in many rooms (just something basic like stone, sand, or something I wanted in that room), and focused on the gameplay. Then I texturized things better, added variations and decorations, even the geometry changed, and it turned out it goes much faster this way. The game becomes enjoyable, and you have all the time to focus on making it look good. Because it's better to focus on details once you're done with the main plan. :)

Opaque79
15-08-17, 20:43
That's why I thought making some placeholder textures was a good idea. I can build the room, apply the placeholder textures and then light it. Then I can focus on gameplay.

Lighting is easier than texturing in my opinion.

EDIT:
@Joey79100
I use coloured squares I made in Paint.NET as placeholders (well, a grey and green square to be exact).

Raider99
15-08-17, 20:46
I think it doesn't matter... There's no 'proper' way to do a level. I do it at my pace, I like doing geometry and texturing, adding lighting as well at the same time unless it's some corridors, not important rooms left to be textured later (I just put placeholder textures -grey & white). But I often get a picture in my head of how I want an area to look like and try to build it, works quite well. :p You just find what suits you the best.

Opaque79
15-08-17, 21:27
OK. Geometry, lighting and gameplay first for me from now.

Speaking of small corridors, one light is enough (maybe a sun bulb) right?

LoreRaider
15-08-17, 22:03
^
I always use a sunbulb on each room in my level (maybe I should add something else :p ), and the rooms are also bigger, I just love how the sunbulb work, it makes looking everything so good and perfect :D

Opaque79
15-08-17, 22:07
I use a sun bulb as a starting point to give Lara the 3D look throughout the entire room.

I edited my latest post in my TR1 Style level thread to add screenshots of an idea that finally came to light. :D

Dustie
15-08-17, 22:46
Aha, would this one i have right now qualify? I don't know how the original arrangement was.

Great Wall textures (http://imgur.com/a/s8xn0)

Yes, that's pretty much what I meant :)

I should post my clean-ups of Rome textures from TRC and others, I did some a long time ago.

MizzKroft
15-08-17, 23:13
I saw on AgentXP's stream that she was actually using the color palette to change the color of objects. I tried doing this, and it wasn't working for me, how do I get it to work?

sampiza
15-08-17, 23:17
Well,first, click on the object that you want to change and then you have to click with the right mouse button on the color(in the pallet) that you prefer. ;)

MizzKroft
15-08-17, 23:43
Well,first, click on the object that you want to change and then you have to click with the right mouse button on the color(in the pallet) that you prefer. ;)

I was using left click. I LOVE when it's a simple fix though, thanks so much!!

Can anyone tell me how to fix these stretched textures? The texture line is obviously being risen via the slopes near the wall, and in return is causing part of the texture to warp and stretch :/

http://imgur.com/a/z4CDS

LoreRaider
16-08-17, 09:05
^
You can put another line on those walls with the slopes, then with the right click of the mouse, you drag the part of the texture you want to apply on the wall :)

MizzKroft
16-08-17, 15:53
^
You can put another line on those walls with the slopes, then with the right click of the mouse, you drag the part of the texture you want to apply on the wall :)

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm getting it :/. Is it possible for you to whip up a sort tutorial on Imgur?

LoreRaider
16-08-17, 17:19
^
You can split with 4 lines the walls, buttons for split them are: Q and A, W and S, E and D, R and F :)

MizzKroft
16-08-17, 17:48
^
You can split with 4 lines the walls, buttons for split them are: Q and A, W and S, E and D, R and F :)

I normally use F12 to give all of the walls their splits so textures aren't stretched, and if I want to do designs I bring them further down or up if I need to with the other splits

But this just isn't working with this particular wall :l This is what it looks like as far as splits go, http://imgur.com/a/0P65u

Joey79100
16-08-17, 18:01
Just make one more split, like this (http://i.imgur.com/l5KHxse.png) for example. This way you will just have triangles and not distorted rectangles, so you can have no wrongly distorted textures.
But well, if you don't want everything blocky, you will have to make some sacrifices when you run into situations where you can't avoid both cracks and distorted rectangles, but everyone runs into them. Even Core actually has plenty of them in their levels, and it's not actually that disturbing, because it's kinda hidden as it's near the floor, next to another texture, or just because the focus isn't on them anyway. Just find the "distortion" that looks the more acceptable, don't worry too much or hide it with objects or by playing with the lighting. :)

EDIT: Oh, and I see you've taken care to put the reverb type for the room. I hope many people do this, so we can have the correct reverb in the future when playing levels with another engine or even just with plugins. :D

Raider99
16-08-17, 18:02
nvm, Joey was faster :p

MizzKroft
16-08-17, 18:34
Just make one more split, like this (http://i.imgur.com/l5KHxse.png) for example. This way you will just have triangles and not distorted rectangles, so you can have no wrongly distorted textures.
But well, if you don't want everything blocky, you will have to make some sacrifices when you run into situations where you can't avoid both cracks and distorted rectangles, but everyone runs into them. Even Core actually has plenty of them in their levels, and it's not actually that disturbing, because it's kinda hidden as it's near the floor, next to another texture, or just because the focus isn't on them anyway. Just find the "distortion" that looks the more acceptable, don't worry too much or hide it with objects or by playing with the lighting. :)

EDIT: Oh, and I see you've taken care to put the reverb type for the room. I hope many people do this, so we can have the correct reverb in the future when playing levels with another engine or even just with plugins. :D

Thanks, I'll take that into consideration! It's just many people are quite technical on TRLE.net so if I do happen to release this level they'll probably drill me . _ ., but that's where shrubbery comes into play! And lighting as well :)
http://imgur.com/a/a8f8N is what I've got so far (This was whipped up in 30 minutes, nothing fancy!), the area she's on is actually not available to the player, just using it to make it look like it's actually somewhere rather than in space :D (Now that I've learned how to actually light objects, I can really make some decent looking rooms. A lot of the rooms in Sunken Temple 1 were lit, but the objects weren't (I had no clue how to light them) so it looked rather dull and unconvincing :/

(My Lara is modified as well, PoYu's https://www.trsearch.org/Items/3188, with a modified longer ponytail http://imgur.com/a/9avCC textured to fit the rest of her hair, I love the long ponytail so yeah lol, she's also got GekoKid's pullup animations as well, and a new and improved running animation that IS NOT slowed down :hea:

Niveus
16-08-17, 20:34
nvm, Joey was faster :p

It seems he is always faster! :p

MizzKroft
16-08-17, 21:02
It seems he is always faster! :p

He definitely is! And it's extremely nice that people help on this Forum rather than shoo them away, ya' know? The Manual teaches you a BUNCH of stuff, but it also leaves a bunch out. All of you are great <3 :hug::hug::hug:

Matie
16-08-17, 21:10
I'm a bit late, but I made a tutorial about texturing in general, some very basic tips combined with a bit more tricky stuff. (It's quite rushed, as it just suddenly occurred to me to make a video, I hope I didn't forget about anything important.) I hope it helps those who are new to texturing more complex surfaces. :)

19HQ8lpf9kc
(Sorry about my stupid shy voice and funny accent:p)

MizzKroft
16-08-17, 21:22
I had absolutely NO clue about the tilde key (~). This kind of stuff isn't in the manual AT ALL, thanks so much!!! :hug:

Joey79100
16-08-17, 21:50
There's another shortcut for this, Ctrl+T. It works on every keyboard at least, because for some keyboards it's not the same key (even if it's at teh same location), or the key is missing or something. :)
and a new and improved running animation that IS NOT slowed down :hea:
And you just helped me stop being lazy and actually put up a package to release an update for this run animation. A package that I should have done back in 2015. :whi:

Danath
16-08-17, 22:47
Yes, that's pretty much what I meant :)

I should post my clean-ups of Rome textures from TRC and others, I did some a long time ago.
Great! So now i'll begin to do clean tga's of everything from TR1 to TR3 + Golds. How would i upload it to trsearch when done? I suppose i have to register?

Dustie
16-08-17, 23:17
Uhm, you can't really do that ATM, TRSearch is being rebuilt and for the time being the uploading has been disabled.

MizzKroft
16-08-17, 23:25
There's another shortcut for this, Ctrl+T. It works on every keyboard at least, because for some keyboards it's not the same key (even if it's at teh same location), or the key is missing or something. :)

And you just helped me stop being lazy and actually put up a package to release an update for this run animation. A package that I should have done back in 2015. :whi:

You're JoeyQuint on TRSearch? :O. The level I used the run animation in (I also followed everything to the T in the animation editor) was used in Sunken Temple by me (MizzKroft) play it and see how it works. CTRL+T Works as well as the ~ !! Just to add, I absolutely loved the run animation, which is why I chose it in my level. Unfortunately it wasn't agreed upon in the reviews. I was able to get accustomed to it because I literally played with it for a few months, but raiders only had a few seconds to get used to it. This is what I'm using now (https://www.trsearch.org/Items/3011) so perhaps make it as fast as this? I have absolutely zero clue what goes into editing animations, I really want to use "Run!" by YOU! but it's slow :c

Joey79100
16-08-17, 23:44
Yes I am. :p
Look at the other thread (Animation Showcase), I've just uploaded an updated version so it has a normal speed now. I'll update the TRSearch download as soon as we're able again to upload things there. :D

Danath
17-08-17, 00:15
Uhm, you can't really do that ATM, TRSearch is being rebuilt and for the time being the uploading has been disabled.
Ok, thanks. I'll take it easy then. :D

MizzKroft
17-08-17, 00:21
Yes I am. :p
Look at the other thread (Animation Showcase), I've just uploaded an updated version so it has a normal speed now. I'll update the TRSearch download as soon as we're able again to upload things there. :D

omg. YAY! I'll use this asap! :jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp:

Dustie
17-08-17, 12:07
Ok, thanks. I'll take it easy then. :D

But you can upload it elsewhere :) LarasLevelBase and AspideTR host resources too, I think. Or even a file hosting website will be fine.

sampiza
17-08-17, 21:40
Just wondering,it is possible to recreate sophia boss fight on trle??

I think that nobody saw my question... :(

Dustie
17-08-17, 22:23
Maybe using TRNG, you'd have to ask there...

AkyV
17-08-17, 23:06
I'm a bit late, but I made a tutorial about texturing in general, some very basic tips combined with a bit more tricky stuff. (It's quite rushed, as it just suddenly occurred to me to make a video, I hope I didn't forget about anything important.) I hope it helps those who are new to texturing more complex surfaces. :)

19HQ8lpf9kc
(Sorry about my stupid shy voice and funny accent:p)

Wow, that's fantastic, Matie! :D
Wouldn't you like to post it in the tutorial section? :)

Danath
19-08-17, 18:56
I have finished cleaning TR1+UB texture sets. :) Now i have begun doing TR2+Gold ones.

By the way, and speaking of textures, does anybody want me to upload the edited textures i used for my TR2 levelset? Maybe it can be of use to someone. :)

Dustie
19-08-17, 21:18
By edited do you mean cleaned up?

Opaque79
19-08-17, 21:46
I have a question about giving credit.

Simple enough, you write down the author in the readme, but some authors don't make it clear who to credit. I assume it means give credit to them unless stated otherwise right?

Apologies for the stupid question, I'm just a little confused.

Dustie
19-08-17, 22:19
We assume that the author of the object is the person who uploaded it.

Unless it's compilation of various objects from various authors, in which case there should be a text file included with all the credits.

Opaque79
19-08-17, 22:21
Thanks. I have very strange concerns.:o

Danath
19-08-17, 22:29
By edited do you mean cleaned up?
Sorry, i meant the texture sets i used to make my levels, which use textures edited from original TR1 and 2 ones. Like this one for the first level: https://postimg.org/image/54qddf8ar/
They sure are clean though. :D

MizzKroft
20-08-17, 01:18
Sorry, i meant the texture sets i used to make my levels, which use textures edited from original TR1 and 2 ones. Like this one for the first level: https://postimg.org/image/54qddf8ar/
They sure are clean though. :D

These have some Great Wall textures (TR2 first level). Where did you get your inspiration from? :o

Patricia_S
20-08-17, 14:43
Hi folks, i have not made objects for a long time so i quite forgot a lot about meta. For an unknown reason, the primitive tool does not accept decimal numbers. I need to create an object with sizes 26.4 in the X and 12.8 in the Y, and i don't get an error message, however i get an "alert" sound and my custom size is replaced with another number ending in .0
I use metasequoia 3.1.6
Any idea what is wrong?

https://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_915258metasizes.jpg (https://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=915258metasizes.jpg)

Titak
20-08-17, 16:23
^
In the regional settings of your computer, you should set it to English.
So a . becomes the decimal thingy instead of the , we use on the European main land.
So 2,5 (as in two and a half) will now be written as 2.5.

That should allow you the use of decimals in Meta. :D

Danath
20-08-17, 16:25
These have some Great Wall textures (TR2 first level). Where did you get your inspiration from? :o
I wanted to create a level as a tribute to TR1 and 2 for the 20th anniversary, and i decided to create a cave level as in TR1 first map. :jmp:

But the textures for the TR1 caves were too simple for what i wanted to make, and as i used the TR2 engine, i decided to use Catacombs of the Talion textures from TR2 instead while keeping the cave theme. I wanted the rock textures to be in grey tones like in TR1 so i edited the textures changing color and saturation to mimick the TR1 cave look, and also changed the color and saturation for TR2 dirt textures. The textures from Great Wall interior i decided to keep to add some variety to the environment and make small ruin-like sections to the map, adding a mysterious touch. :D

Then later i came up with the idea of using the Pyrenees mountains as a location, which is a unique idea and fits perfectly with the snowy mountainous areas i wanted to make. :)

Matie
20-08-17, 17:19
Wow, that's fantastic, Matie! :D
Wouldn't you like to post it in the tutorial section? :)

Good idea, I might add some explanation in text as well :) (there's some stuff that I didn't mention in the video and maybe I can explain certain things better that way)

Patricia_S
20-08-17, 17:31
^
In the regional settings of your computer, you should set it to English.
So a . becomes the decimal thingy instead of the , we use on the European main land.
So 2,5 (as in two and a half) will now be written as 2.5.

That should allow you the use of decimals in Meta. :D

Thank you Titak, you made my day :jmp:

LoreRaider
20-08-17, 17:42
I'm having a strange problem
I changed some mid-air grab animations, using this (https://www.trsearch.org/Items/4279) package
The animations works properly, but when I now grab a parallel bar, Lara it's placed higher than she should
http://i.imgur.com/BvHNXtf.jpg
I've already checked every animation and all the infos are the same
Anyone know if there's a way to solve this? Thanks in advance :)

MBog
20-08-17, 18:24
Maybe you could try to copy the colision box of the old grab animation to the new one? Maybe the latter is bigger. :)

LoreRaider
20-08-17, 19:03
^ Oh, maybe it's this, I will try asap :)
EDIT: I tried to put the same collision box infos, but I have still the same problem :o

SrDanielPonces
23-08-17, 18:00
Where can I find the animation at 9:05 on TRC's wads?

xPnhoQJ-ngk
I can't find it on rich1a.. :s

Raider99
23-08-17, 18:09
^ I found it here:

https://www.trsearch.org/Items/3531

SrDanielPonces
23-08-17, 18:11
ah, yes. Thank you :)

MizzKroft
23-08-17, 19:38
Daniel, I'm sick and I can't even sit at my computer right now. As per your signature, I'm blaming you, okay?:hug:

SrDanielPonces
23-08-17, 20:09
I'm sorry!!!!!

SrDanielPonces
27-08-17, 19:59
After importing an animation I've done in 3dsMax to WadMerger, I get this frame that can only be seen when the animation is being played (I can't select it manually since it seems to be between frames)

http://i.imgur.com/MN9YPZ2.png

I know this is an actual issue but I don't remember how to fix it. Can anyone remind me, please? :vlol:

Regards :)

Joey79100
27-08-17, 20:10
There can be frames only at whole numbers, not between. Here, what you see is just WADMerger doing interpolation between the last frame and the first frame when you play the animation, while in-game it doesn't do that, so you won't ever see this outside of WADMerger.
If you have a ghost frame though in-game (WADMerger won't show it), you have to open your WAD in NG Center's Animation Fixer, find your animation, and reduce the EndFrame by 1 (the NFrame should be 50 then). If I remember correctly, StrPix's last version has a Check Animations feature that does just the same as NG Center's Animation Fixer so you can use it as well. :)

SrDanielPonces
28-08-17, 10:09
Actually, I do have a ghost frame.. not on this animation though!

However, the start and end frame have both weird numbers:

http://i.imgur.com/tFx5bRX.png

And putting the end frame to 1 doesn't help - in fact, the animation doesn't even play correctly (it just goes to the next animation)

Joey79100
28-08-17, 10:50
No, I meant you had to subtract 1 from the EndFrame number (FEnd here). So in this case, 15895 would become 15894. :p

In the WAD, all the frames of all objects are stored in one unique "big package", all together, not separated (but in a logical order). That's why an animation always has a FrameStart and FrameEnd number, to know which frame is the first of this animation, and which frame is the last one.
So the fact that these numbers look huge is totally normal.
The problem is that WADMerger doesn't always put the correct EndFrame number for the animation, it puts it 1 or 2 frames too high. So when it happens, you will see the next frame stored in the file played after your animation, ie. the first frame of the next animation, because the game will just take the data as it comes, without checking anything. :)

Opaque79
28-08-17, 12:49
I noticed something odd on trle.net. On the level info page for Lost In the Caves (my newly released level) it says "review count: 5', but no reviews show. Any ideas why this is?

Revenge
28-08-17, 13:00
I noticed something odd on trle.net. On the level info page for Lost In the Caves (my newly released level) it says "review count: 5', but no reviews show. Any ideas why this is?

It's because 5 reviews have been sent in, but Michael hasn't uploaded them on the website, that's all. It will probably be done by tomorrow I guess, he usually is quite fast :D

Opaque79
28-08-17, 13:12
OK. That makes sense. If I want to show experimental screenshots, should I post in the screenshot showcase thread instead of starting a new one?

A_De
28-08-17, 13:18
Recently tested the new sliding-movable system in game. You know, actually the meshes with number > 0 cannot move but only rotate. But what if you need the sliding doors for example? You can make them look natural. Here is the schema of the relatively "new" sliding-meshes system in case anybody is interested. In my country some buses have such sliding doors:
https://scontent.fhen2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21167118_468253606863331_655740619697205735_o.jpg? oh=e90083eac961f61e686830b2e3da24f2&oe=5A220CD7
Blue points are the pivots. Mesh 0 on both movables and also 1, 2, 4, 5 on second movable are usually made invisible with magenta.

SrDanielPonces
28-08-17, 13:21
@joey
Oh, then that's why the frame of the next animation is playing! Interesting... Thanks!

TombGuardian
28-08-17, 13:29
Hi!
It's the first time I'm trying to change lighting type of a static with STRPix
But I can't find where the Static objects are....
Where should I go?

EDIT: Nevermind found it

EDIT 2: A problem with TRLE. Like I said some days ago, I reinstalled TRLE/NGLE, but have this problem:
http://i.imgur.com/SJpPvCp.png
http://i.imgur.com/6i1tWSW.png
Objects disappear in the editor and reappear randomly while rotating.
How to fix this?

SrDanielPonces
28-08-17, 14:18
does that really bother you lol

TombGuardian
28-08-17, 16:39
does that really bother you lol

Yeah, because at certain angles(the ones I need the most) ALL objects are invisible. Completely invisible. It didn't do that before :(

Titak
28-08-17, 16:49
Recently tested the new sliding-movable system in game. You know, actually the meshes with number > 0 cannot move but only rotate. But what if you need the sliding doors for example? You can make them look natural. Here is the schema of the relatively "new" sliding-meshes system in case anybody is interested. In my country some buses have such sliding doors:
https://scontent.fhen2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/21167118_468253606863331_655740619697205735_o.jpg? oh=e90083eac961f61e686830b2e3da24f2&oe=5A220CD7
Blue points are the pivots. Mesh 0 on both movables and also 1, 2, 4, 5 on second movable are usually made invisible with magenta.
Oh, nice find! :tmb:

Will you release a basic object using this setup? :ponder:
Like a remake of the TR1 double doors for example?
Would be quite usefull I think, to have the at least the basic setup for it. :D

A_De
28-08-17, 17:04
I made the elevator doors for my level using this technique. I can release it tomorrow. It can be converted to slamming doors trap if the animation is fast enough.

SrDanielPonces
28-08-17, 17:04
Yeah, because at certain angles(the ones I need the most) ALL objects are invisible. Completely invisible. It didn't do that before :(

but you just said it gets invisible only when you are rotating

SrDanielPonces
28-08-17, 17:29
No, I meant you had to subtract 1 from the EndFrame number (FEnd here). So in this case, 15895 would become 15894. :p

In the WAD, all the frames of all objects are stored in one unique "big package", all together, not separated (but in a logical order). That's why an animation always has a FrameStart and FrameEnd number, to know which frame is the first of this animation, and which frame is the last one.
So the fact that these numbers look huge is totally normal.
The problem is that WADMerger doesn't always put the correct EndFrame number for the animation, it puts it 1 or 2 frames too high. So when it happens, you will see the next frame stored in the file played after your animation, ie. the first frame of the next animation, because the game will just take the data as it comes, without checking anything. :)

actually, this "ghost" frame seems to appear at the beggining of the animation... I tried to reduce the start frame thing on ng center but also didn't work. :ssss

It can't be the other animation because Animation 472 plays when you don't press the up button in the middle of another animation.

Opaque79
28-08-17, 17:45
OK. That makes sense. If I want to show experimental screenshots, should I post in the screenshot showcase thread instead of starting a new one?

Any answers please?

Titak
28-08-17, 17:46
Sure, that's what it's for. :D
But if it is a new project, there's nothing wrong with creating a new thread for these new screens.

Opaque79
28-08-17, 17:52
Thanks. I will only show experimental screens in there.

TombGuardian
28-08-17, 18:07
but you just said it gets invisible only when you are rotating

I mean that objects like you see in the screens are showed while staying still. When rotating, some parts reappear and some other disappear.
So objects are glitched, I don't know why

LoreRaider
28-08-17, 19:21
^ Dan, don't answer if you don't know how to...
@TombGuardian go on properties of NGLE.exe and on compatibility, put Color at 16 bit, then click apply and ok :)

Titak
29-08-17, 14:19
I seem to remember having seen a short tutorial type of post about how to quickly mask and object from a photograph or something with the magenta colour. :ponder:

I'm currently painstakingly painting the magenta colour all around some sea urchins...
So this tutorial/post came to mind.
However, I do not remember who posted it or where. :hea:

TombGuardian
29-08-17, 14:50
I seem to remember having seen a short tutorial type of post about how to quickly mask and object from a photograph or something with the magenta colour. :ponder:

I'm currently painstakingly painting the magenta colour all around some sea urchins...
So this tutorial/post came to mind.
However, I do not remember who posted it or where. :hea:

I think you are looking for this?
rSclVIeOrjA

Titak
29-08-17, 15:46
That's sort of what I'm usually doing.
I seem to remember somethign else.
But it's okay, this video tutorial is usefull as well.

Thanks for answering. :D

Opaque79
29-08-17, 19:10
I checked my level reviews again (for both my levels) and one mentions boxy rooms. Does this mean I need to avoid flat ceilings and floors? Maybe some sloped parts?

Surely not all environments have complex geometry? Can someone explain what this means?

Raider99
29-08-17, 19:20
^ Well, boxy rooms are, to me, when you can clearly notice it's a 'box', being pretty flat on all sides or the design is repetitive. To avoid that, you can always add some columns, make ceiling less flat by just raising one part, etc... It's all about aesthetics and making room look nice visually.

Opaque79
29-08-17, 19:31
OK. I loaded the Temple Of Danger project file in the editor and made changes to a ceiling.

Before
http://i.imgur.com/F9Uflth.png

After
http://i.imgur.com/gkklTyT.png

Is this what you mean?

Raider99
29-08-17, 19:35
For example, yeah, much better. :D You can just play with geometry and add many decoration with it.

Opaque79
29-08-17, 19:39
Right. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. :D

It also seems I need to work on using objects to avoid empty rooms.

Tjw croft
29-08-17, 20:13
Given that in most cases, Lara isn't in pristine, brand new buildings, then sometimes some aging is required to add variety to the rooms. No 1000 year old temple that's been abandoned for 600 of those years is going to be in pristine perfect condition. So, maybe some of the columns have eroded and broken, some of the ceiling has caved in, a wall has fallen over, or a river has carved its way through, stalagtites/mites, etc...

Opaque79
29-08-17, 20:33
So maybe instead of columns like this.
http://i.imgur.com/1XGifOf.png

Maybe columns like this is better?
http://i.imgur.com/SLfwpfj.png

Just showcasing the possible alterations to columns here. :)

EDIT: Forgot to resize images :o

Tjw croft
29-08-17, 20:35
Exactly, though they don't always all have to be broken. Some of them might still be intact. There might be sections not at all attached to the floor or ceiling.

Opaque79
29-08-17, 20:40
Right. So using the back left column for example could still have its base but be missing the top.
Possibly using raised parts of the floor to look like parts of the pillars.

Tjw croft
29-08-17, 21:33
Right. So using the back left column for example could still have its base but be missing the top.
Possibly using raised parts of the floor to look like parts of the pillars.

Exactly. The best thing you can do is make it look like time has taken its toll on this place. Unless you can explain away why it should look so new. But in a lot of cases, that's easier said than done. So geometry to look broken and ancient is usually easier.

Opaque79
29-08-17, 21:44
Right. I understand now.

The only place where having broken pillars may not work is in the situation in the screenshot below.
http://i.imgur.com/bHoc528.png

If the pillars are broken or not there, how would the central structure be still standing? Unless that is an exception.

Tjw croft
29-08-17, 21:48
That's where a partially broken pillar can help.
IE: It has a chunk missing, but still connects on half the pillar. This could be accomplished by taking the same corner of the floor and ceiling tiles, pushing them away from each other, the, lowering so the flat halves touch. I do believe this works.

With platforms, breaking off corners at angles can be helpful. Having missing chunks is good too, plus if below it you have what looks like a piece of the above platform, it adds to the idea that the platform broke away and landed below.

Opaque79
29-08-17, 21:54
OK. This is useful information. Thanks.:)

Basically looking like this (the extra lines is what I would do to avoid warped textures)
http://i.imgur.com/WOBGc9p.png

Tjw croft
29-08-17, 21:57
Bingo! That's the way to go! It might take more time, yes, but that's the best way to add more character to your level. Again, it's really weird to see an ancient tomb in perfect shape.

Opaque79
29-08-17, 22:01
OK. Thanks so much for the tips. I'll keep them in mind

Tjw croft
29-08-17, 22:39
Not a problem. I definitely look forward to seeing more of your work!

Opaque79
30-08-17, 17:28
Any tips on creating a TR3 style jungle scenario? I want to practice this as it may be useful for a future level.

Thanks in advance. :)

Tjw croft
30-08-17, 17:39
What parts of the jungle are you wondering about?

Raider99
30-08-17, 17:40
Well, you can use FexInspect to open TR3 data files and see the maps. It could help you see how something is built or to give you inspiration. :D
You're thinking too much about it, just get the textures, some objects and start building however you like! :p

Opaque79
30-08-17, 17:45
I suppose no two jungles are the same.

Specifically, I was talking about TR3 style trees.

EDIT: Saying that, a jungle isn't all trees. TR3's Jungle level had swamps, streams, small caves etc.

Tjw croft
30-08-17, 18:18
Admittedly, trees are one of the things I've actively struggled with. Unfortunately, I won't be much help.

Opaque79
30-08-17, 18:32
OK. I could possibly figure it out through experimentation.

Raider99
30-08-17, 18:39
I'm quoting myself here. :p You can check how trees are built, or whole level.

Well, you can use FexInspect to open TR3 data files and see the maps. It could help you see how something is built or to give you inspiration. :D

Opaque79
30-08-17, 18:45
I'll probably use FexinspectSK as that version allows you to view only geometry as well as textured.

Raider99
30-08-17, 18:47
I don't know about that one, I just use a regular FexInspect that lets you see everything, which is even better. :p

Opaque79
30-08-17, 18:55
OK. I'll take a look later.

EDIT: Just looked at TR3's Jungle and it seems that textures play a huge part as well as geometry.

Titak
30-08-17, 21:28
Animation question:
I spent some hours making an animation for Lara.
She stops pushing a pushable and looks over the edge to check if the pushable landed alright.

It looks fine in 3D Max. However, the position is all messed up once I can view the animation in WADMerger: her butt is at ground level and is not moving at all. It is rotating, but it is not changing its position.
I double-checked in 3D Max and all butt frames have both the rotation and position keys assigned to them. So I even re-exported the animation and added it to the .tr4 and wad once more. Same result. :confused:

Any idea where it might have gone wrong? :ponder:
It's the first time I've had this issue.

SrDanielPonces
30-08-17, 21:41
^ Have you used IK Solvers? What if you try to bake the animation?

Titak
30-08-17, 22:10
I haven't used any IK-solvers.
How do you bake an animation? :ponder:

SrDanielPonces
30-08-17, 22:25
1. Export in .fbx format, and enable nothing but the "bake" option (I think on the animation tab).
2. Import it back. I don't know if the same will happen to you, but when I import my Lara gets bigger for some reason. I always have to use the Rescale World Units tool to rescale to 0.4. Lara will go to her original size.
(You can find the Rescale Work Units by clicking the "Hammer" icon on the right part of the screen, and then "More.." (I'm not checking so I may be wrong). You will find "Rescale World Units". So click it.)

Then, try to export it back to WadMerger... Let's see if it works :ponder:

Titak
31-08-17, 10:50
^
Ah, never used that bake feature when exporting as .fbx.
Tried it but it had the same result. :(

That tip on scaling got me thinking though. :D
Using 0.4 produced a very weird result, but since the grid looked strange I thought that my Lara might be too small instead of too big. A very small Lara would not move her around much, so that could explain her butt being at ground level and not moving when being her normal size in WADMerger.

So I opened another animation I did some time ago: grid looked normal.
I then opened the base animation for this new custom one: grid looked normal.
Then I imported and merged the new custom animation with this base animation: Lara was a spec compared to the Lara of the base animation!
So I did some tests with different scaling values, and I had to rescale to 1550 to get her back to her normal size!!! :yik:

Then I reimported the new animation (no merging this time), using the settings I always use, and rescaled her with 1550.
Instead of baking the animation I decided to manually add all the frames. Doable in this case since the animation isn't that long.
And guess what?! The animation is normal now!!!! :yah:

No idea what happened that made my Lara so small, but I'm soooo glad I got it fixed.

Thanks for the answer!
I wouldn't have been able to pinpoint the problem if it hadn't been for that tip about scaling. :tmb:

And thank goodness the animation looks decent enough ingame as well, so I don't have to change it. :vlol:

SrDanielPonces
31-08-17, 16:12
I am glad to hear I indirectly managed to help you! :tmb:

SCSI Adapter
01-09-17, 06:24
I noticed I'm having very poor performance in TRLE's editor. Especially when I press "Draw Doors". Does anyone have any advice to improve performance?

DunHill
01-09-17, 06:44
I noticed I'm having very poor performance in TRLE's editor. Especially when I press "Draw Doors". Does anyone have any advice to improve performance?

Sadly, this is due to the editor's old age and bad compatibility on our systems. The only way to fix that is to wait for MontyTRC's new editor :(

Dustie
01-09-17, 15:33
TRLE's editor

TRLE is already an editor, it's for Tomb Raider Level Editor :p

Then there's NGLE, Next Generation Level Editor, and also TRNG, which is the enhanced engine that goes together with NGLE.

But no, sadly there is not fix to the infamous NGLE 3D view lag. The original TRLE should work fine, so if you want to use the original assets and no TRNG features such as high resolution textures and objects (among many another things) you can try it instead.

SCSI Adapter
01-09-17, 16:43
But no, sadly there is not fix to the infamous NGLE 3D view lag. The original TRLE should work fine, so if you want to use the original assets and no TRNG features such as high resolution textures and objects (among many another things) you can try it instead.

I would, except it's very prone to crashing.

Titak
01-09-17, 16:52
The crashing has a cause, so there must be something you are doing that the editor does not like. :ponder:
I never have crashes with NGLE, and neither did I have crashes with the original TRLE.
Once you learn its quirks, it does not crash really. :D

Most of the crashes I do get with it is when I open a bugged prj.
So I then open a previous backup of it.

SCSI Adapter
01-09-17, 16:59
The crashing has a cause, so there must be something you are doing that the editor does not like. :ponder:
I never have crashes with NGLE, and neither did I have crashes with the original TRLE.
Once you learn its quirks, it does not crash really. :D

I've mostly identified 2 causes. Although there's probably more.

1. Crash on starting the program. Happens surprisingly often.
2. Crash upon alt tabbing. I would read the manual and switch back to the editor and I noticed doing this enough times would flat out crash the editor.

Titak
01-09-17, 17:06
Then don't use Alt Tab. :p
Is your screen so small that the editor covers the whole screen?
I mean, I can understand you having to use Alt Tab to switch between programs if it does.
But if it doesn't then don't. One of the quirks I mentioned.
I used to have the same thing happening when ingame: Alt Tab to go check a walkthrough and upon going back to the game, it would freeze. So no more Alt Tab when I'm ingame. Simple as that.
Less convenient, yes, but surviveable. :D

As for the crash on starting up... no idea. :(
You haven't tried opening a prj yet? It is crashing when just starting up?

Joey79100
01-09-17, 18:20
I used to have the same thing happening when ingame: Alt Tab to go check a walkthrough and upon going back to the game, it would freeze.
This shouldn't happen if you're using Soft Full Screen mode (as Soft Full Screen is like a windowed mode in full screen and with no border). :)

EDIT: In response to the discussion above about animations: what is the bake feature meant for? :ponder:
Also I've tried using Fragmotion but never managed to do anything, the interface is just so different than what we have in WADMerger or 3DS Max, and there is no tutorial (as far as I know) on how to use it with TRLE. So I still have it but I don't use it.