PDA

View Full Version : ...and if it doesn't?

Gianni Bartoli
25-02-08, 19:19
Everybody's speculating on whether or not TRU will satisfy your needs as a Tomb Raider fan. But what if it doesn't? I'm not talking about whether it satisfies 'the fans' as lots of other members of this forum have pondered (not me, I'm not that naive). I'm talking about YOU. If the game satisfies many corperate *****s and not YOU. If the game makes newcomers feel happy and not YOU. If the game makes even the long term Tomb Raider fans wet themselves but not YOU. What would you do?

I would simply wait for the next Tomb Raider game. :) CD haven't disappointed me so far, so I wouldn't mind one hiccup. :D But you lot may stop following the franchise or something, so I'm asking... YOU this question. :p Would you simply buy the next game? Stop following the franchise? ...

Mona Sax
25-02-08, 19:21
It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd play it, complete it, put it on a shelf, and that's it. I'd hope for a better TR10, though. :p

Angelus
25-02-08, 19:23
I'm still on the fence about Underworld. I'm going to view the media and play the demo (if one is released). If I think that it will be a solid TR game then I'll buy it. If it doesn't satisfy me, then I'll stop buying TR games and go back to the classic games which always satisy me. :)

thevman
25-02-08, 19:28
Hmmm, I do have my finger on the button... if the game does suck, I could end it all for everyone... :mis:

MrBear
25-02-08, 19:29
It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world. I'd play it, complete it, put it on a shelf, and that's it. I'd hope for a better TR10, though. :p

The same, I guess..? And I would be very sceptical about TR:X (great name :p), and likely not buy it unless I see signs that I won't be let down again... ;)

Seb_01225
25-02-08, 19:31
I wont not buy the games even if they arnt too good.
i mean legend wasnt great but i still played/bought it!

Cochrane
25-02-08, 19:47
Hm. I think it depends on exactly how Underworld would fail me. If it's continuing the very things I hated about Legend and Anniversary, then I'll be very careful about TR10. If, on the other hand, it really just is too short or in any other way annoying, but not hateful, then I may be able to live with this. I guess I cannot truly answer this question before I played Underworld, so I'd like to be able to answer this later.

MrBear
25-02-08, 19:50
I guess I cannot truly answer this question before I played Underworld, so I'd like to be able to answer this later.

- but hopefully you won't have to ;)

Chocolate
25-02-08, 19:54
I'm not getting my expectations up high; so if TRU doesn't really improve from Legend and Anniversary, I won't be too disappointed.

But considering that they've already learnt a lot of mistakes from their previous two games, I'm sure it must be somehow better than Legend and Anniversary. And I liked Legend, so I think at least some of us will like TRU if it's the same as legend.

ben croft
25-02-08, 19:55
This: :wve:

DA MAIN MAN
25-02-08, 19:56
I'm too hardcore, biased and niave to be disappointed:p:ton:

Rivendell
25-02-08, 19:56
Everybody's speculating on whether or not TRU will satisfy your needs as a Tomb Raider fan. But what if it doesn't?

I don't want to think about it.. :(

MiCkiZ88
25-02-08, 19:59
If it's alright like Anniversary I'll do the same as Mona. Play it, complete it, put it in the shelf and hope for a better game (by ranting here). If the game is exactly like Legend, I'll throw it out of the window, say bye bye Eidos and Crystal and start making my own levels.

gtkilla
25-02-08, 22:17
I'll probably still buy TR games, but not be into it as much. =/ However, I'm fairly confident that Underworld won't completely disappoint me. CD hasn't completely failed me yet. :)

Tihocan9
25-02-08, 22:22
I am one of those people who will like it just because it has Tomb Raider on it and the media we have so far is great so I will not be disappointed.

MadCroy101
25-02-08, 22:25
It'll probably be good, and cool avatar, tihocan9 :tmb:

GodOfLight
25-02-08, 22:28
I hope all official TR games suck from now onwards. That way the Custom Level world will continue to thrive :D

Tidus
25-02-08, 22:43
I'm a diehard fan, I'll never give up on TR until the series stops, then I'll probably go through a crisis. However...I'm a bit of an optimist so I prefer to think about what they'll do right...:D

MMAN
25-02-08, 23:29
I would stop caring much and expecting to get anything truly special from the series again, although I would probably still enjoy the subsequent games as above average action-adventure games (as I at least don't doubt they would be, but, if Underworld disappoints, I don't expect any better from later games as far as what I want).

Presence of a level editor would effect those feelings though :p .

Forwen
25-02-08, 23:36
Funny you ask. TR series has been slowly dying for me since 2003 and TRA left it hanging on a spider's web. If Underworld turns out to be as meh then I'll most probably and finally, bury it.

Jensie17
25-02-08, 23:46
i odnt really care, ill just buy it as long as it's a game to kill time

JamesFKirk
26-02-08, 00:22
To be honest, if TRU doesn't do the trick, I'd have to confess to be feeling a little cheated (damn, my graphics cost me a fortune!), however, it wouldn't be much of a big deal - after all, it's only a game.

KC Mraz
26-02-08, 00:52
Underworld can't disappoint me.
I like Legend, and I'm pretty sure that Crystal can't do a worst game than Legend :).

Tear
26-02-08, 00:55
It won't dissapoint ME.

I'm 99.99% sure of it. It's just that everything i've seen from it so far, is exactly the kind of game I fall in love with.

Librarian
26-02-08, 00:57
I'm a diehard fan, I'll never give up on TR until the series stops, then I'll probably go through a crisis. However...I'm a bit of an optimist so I prefer to think about what they'll do right...:D

Ditto.

TRexbait
26-02-08, 00:59
I'd probably keep buying more games in hopes that they will improve. But seeing from the previews, it doesn't seem like that will be necessary.

PirateRose
26-02-08, 01:29
I loved Anniversary, but there are some nit picky things that just doesn't appeal to me about Crystal Dynamics approach and style. Like Larson having a brain and chemistry with Lara, then Lara's sad look when she kills him. I don't like Zip and Alastair (I didn't like Zip in TRC either) and I miss how she once used her own intelligence instead of those two men helping her on the headset. I don't like the whole mom and dad and Avalon story. I miss the old biography a lot, where her parents have shunned her, she passed up getting married into a wealthy man and a set life. She was in the business of Tomb Raiding for the adventure, the thrill, fullfilling her dreams and breaking out of the stuffy, upper class life.

This next game I really think will either continue or end the series for me.

That game Wet is really appealing to the point that I've found myself wondering if it will replace Tomb Raider for me. Of course, I'll always love the classics, but AOD and Legend have killed a lot of things for me. Anniversary picked up some things, but I don't like the plot they incoporated into that game.

oocladableeblah
26-02-08, 01:31
I'd play it beat it, and wait for the next one. CD hasn't completely ruined the series for me I enjoy their games, but I still don't think they are quite as good as the originals.

rowanlim
26-02-08, 01:56
I'll buy it, play it, nitpick it here, then I'd wait for the next game. No skin off mine :D

Eddie Haskell
26-02-08, 02:02
It never fails to amaze me how many individuals in here cannot read or comprehend the concept or meaning of the op's question. He asked "What if it doesn't satisfy you?". So answering "it won't" is not an answer to the question. At least Tihocan9 was honest in saying that it doesn't matter how bad it is as long as it says "Tomb Raider" on it. I think that answer is stupid, but hell, at least it's honest. And TRexbait, buying the game and "hoping" is not going to result in any changes, just so you know. Not buying it, complaining about it and than hoping has a shot though.

YunaŽs Wish
26-02-08, 02:34
IT WONŽT :rolleyes:

Even if I think it wonŽt, IŽll answer the question. IŽll keep on living :p IŽll keep on going to Uni, IŽll keep on studying to be the greatest Accountant out there and IŽll keep sweating and getting strong marks so I can get a satisfying scholarship...and while I do that, IŽll play other games and IŽll wait for a new TR game hoping itŽll be better :) IŽll play TRU no matter what.

Papas
26-02-08, 02:36
I'd play it, beat it, sell it on ebay or amazon, and buy Flight Simulation.

.................But

Legend was horrible. It had only 8 levels. Just traps and hardly any enimies/

Anniversary inproved by 10% but still wasn't even as close as TR1.

So Underworld might inprove even more than Anniversary inproved from Legend. CD are learning what WE WANT.

It better be good!

PirateRose
26-02-08, 03:27
It never fails to amaze me how many individuals in here cannot read or comprehend the concept or meaning of the op's question. He asked "What if it doesn't satisfy you?". So answering "it won't" is not an answer to the question. At least Tihocan9 was honest in saying that it doesn't matter how bad it is as long as it says "Tomb Raider" on it. I think that answer is stupid, but hell, at least it's honest. And TRexbait, buying the game and "hoping" is not going to result in any changes, just so you know. Not buying it, complaining about it and than hoping has a shot though.

Funny. I don't see you answering the question at all. Just complaining about how everyone personally interpreted the question and how they chose to answer it.

I answered honestly, just more elaboratly with what has bugged me with the past games. Fine, if you want a direct answer:

If the game disapoints me like the past few, then I'll be done with Tomb Raider and on to other games.

Happy?

AmericanAssassin
26-02-08, 03:38
I loved Legend and I loved Anniversary (not as much as TR1, TR2, and TR4), so I'm sure I'll love Underworld. :)

Quasimodo
26-02-08, 03:43
if it doesn't live up to my expectations...it'd have to be pretty bad. I've found at least a few things to like about each game.

Twilight
26-02-08, 03:51
and if it doesnt, ill stop buying CD's TR games.

Eddie Haskell
26-02-08, 04:00
Funny. I don't see you answering the question at all. Just complaining about how everyone personally interpreted the question and how they chose to answer it.

I answered honestly, just more elaboratly with what has bugged me with the past games. Fine, if you want a direct answer:

If the game disapoints me like the past few, then I'll be done with Tomb Raider and on to other games.

Happy?

I was not referring to your response at all. And you did answer the question; This next game I really think will either continue or end the series for me.

So obviously if it disappointed you that would be the end, according to your response.

And you're right, I did not answer it myself, but will now. It may not get the chance to disappoint me (the complete game that is). I will play the demo and decide if I will purchase it. As far as it representing "the end", as in shunning the series forever I will decide game by game if I will purchase them. The same as I do for every game that I buy.

Tthe Spirit
26-02-08, 05:22
TR is awsome...
i like the new games much more..
so the worst TRU would be us just be exactly with the style of TRA...

who said i'll be dissapointed :p :p

but if it goes AOD... :yik:, then yes, i will buy it, but i wont even continue it :hea:

myrmaad
26-02-08, 07:59
I feel similar to Pirate Rose, (except for the part where she took Eddie personally). Which makes me more determined than ever to play "Wet".

Personally, I'm sick of obsessing over TR. Ever since the first game I bought I've had an addiction. I had to get a new dealer, but the stuff I get now can never match that original buzz, so at some point I'm thinking I'm going to have to go to TRehab. I will just replace it with some other obsession and put it behind me.

jaywalker
26-02-08, 08:10
Wow i still cannot get over the sheer volume of `negative/anti/doom/gloom` posts on here.

This is a FAN site isn't it? What has been shown/said `officially` to give you the impression that things are going to go so far south that it would end the series, or the company or anything bad!?

I dont expect the place to be all `my life changed because...` etc but the sheer volume of negative posts for absolutely no reason other then peoples own rumours or theories is astounding.

Come on people. Cheer up. a bit?

aussie500
26-02-08, 09:28
Wow i still cannot get over the sheer volume of `negative/anti/doom/gloom` posts on here.

This is a FAN site isn't it? What has been shown/said `officially` to give you the impression that things are going to go so far south that it would end the series, or the company or anything bad!?

I dont expect the place to be all `my life changed because...` etc but the sheer volume of negative posts for absolutely no reason other then peoples own rumours or theories is astounding.

Come on people. Cheer up. a bit?

*quickly checks to make sure "last game" is not in the thread title, no must be a different thread*

Well most games would struggle to live up to my expectations, but that usually does not stop me enjoying playing them. l really doubt if Crystal Dynamics could make a game l would not enjoy, so l am not even going to bother answering the question. :p

myrmaad
26-02-08, 09:59
Actually the only thing that could possibly kill it for me is if the Adrenaline Dodge and controls are the same as Anniversary. Even when I "replay" the game I just skip those parts. I will never play anni all the way through again. And don't assume I can't do it, I just despise it so much that it just maxes out my rage meter.

touchthesky
26-02-08, 10:06
If it doesn't satisfy me but it satisfies a lot of other people? I'd stop being so selfish and be happy that others are happy.

Obscure
26-02-08, 10:08
Well I enjoyed TRL and TRA so I'm sure I will like Underworld. Also even if I didn't like it, I'd still buy the next TR in the hope it would be better.

Night Crawler
26-02-08, 10:53
What has been shown/said `officially` to give you the impression that things are going to go so far south

The last 4 games. :whi:

jaywalker
26-02-08, 11:45
The last 4 games. :whi:

but thats nothing to do with TRU which is what people are going on about..

To say the last 4 games is a personal opinion, as sales and reviews etc dont agree with that totally.

navinloveslara
26-02-08, 11:49
CD did a great job with Legend and Anniversary for me, so I'd just take it as a to-be-forgiven drop in quality. I'd still play it for the experience, and that's that.

I'm positive it will satisfy, but if it doesn't, I'd really hope for a better TR10:).

Angelus
26-02-08, 11:50
I'm not being negative. In fact, I've been mostly neutral about Underworld. If this game disappoints me, then I've got TR 1-7 and Anniversary to play. :)

tlr online
26-02-08, 11:51
Come on folks. This negative attitude and unfounded speculation really isn't helping matters. You folk seem to forget the people behind the games, at Eidos and at Crystal Dynamics, who are working hard to make the series all that you folks want it to be, and then they come on here and read threads like this.

At the very least, wait until you've played Tomb Raider Underworld. At least then you'll know what you're talking about and you'll be able to base your comments on fact.

You folks are in a unique position of having a video-game developer's ear. Please don't lose their respect by posting negative rubbish.

jaywalker
26-02-08, 11:55
Did wonder why my ear was sore :)

MoonSword
26-02-08, 11:58
But what if it doesn't?

Personally, it won't. I don't have high expectations, and a new TR game is always a joy for me. I'll play with pleasure, despite of bad things. This is what I did for AOD and in a less extent TRL.

Angelus
26-02-08, 11:58
Come on folks. This negative attitude and unfounded speculation really isn't helping matters. You folk seem to forget the people behind the games, at Eidos and at Crystal Dynamics, who are working hard to make the series all that you folks want it to be, and then they come on here and read threads like this.

At the very least, wait until you've played Tomb Raider Underworld. At least then you'll know what you're talking about and you'll be able to base your comments on fact.

You folks are in a unique position of having a video-game developer's ear. Please don't lose their respect by posting negative rubbish.

That's exactly what I've been saying and doing. I haven't got an opinion on Underworld, because all I've seen is a handful of screenshots. When more media is released (and when I play the demo) then I can gladly tell JayWalker and other people who worked on Underworld exactly what I think about it.

I am glad that TR is still going after nearly 12 years - it's just a bit saddening to see that my 7 year old brother can complete Legend on his own. :o

hera7days
26-02-08, 12:17
If it disappoints me, I'll... well, I'll do the same thing I'm doing now. I don't have all the TRs yet, and I'm just buying them one by one, determining whether to buy them based on various analyses (sp?) I read. If Underworld disappoints, I'll still stay involved, keeping up on news about the games which come out after Underworld to see if I want them.

Honestly, though, I will be very surprised if I'm disappointed. The vast majority of things I've heard have gotten me very excited.