PDA

View Full Version : Lara Croft's identity wanes

Sam Burke
28-08-03, 15:21
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3174761.stm

AndrewII
28-08-03, 18:05
Its obvious its going to happen. Eidos bascially explioted Lara Croft's character to death,literally killing both the franchise and the character.

Anyhow,thank goodness people like Nintendo or Segar aren't this,simpily because its for the fans,not the cash.

caleb_yee
28-08-03, 18:16
Much appreciate lil' kid,...hmm...got any more news like this.i would like to read em

universaldave
28-08-03, 18:17
Well, in all fairness, Nintendo & Sega have Mascots that are total cartoon creations (and associated with kids too), while Lara has always been a real woman (to various degrees of graphical sucess) with larger than life assets. She became immensely popular with men & women because of her looks and kick-butt attitude, as well as the games being good. It was all too easy to give us all more and more and more until we stopped buying! How can any of us blame them and say we'd have held back? Lara was a unstoppable force that took on a life of its own. A bright light that just had to dim sometime!

Steven B
28-08-03, 19:15
Thanks ;) , i didn't really like reading that, because i think the new game is great and i don't know why everyone keeps saying it's bad because in my opinion, i think it is fantastic! :D

I think Lara isn't so big now, is because we had to wait 3 years for the new game, and some people lose interest! :( :mad:

AndrewII
28-08-03, 20:39
Originally posted by Steven B:
Thanks ;) , i didn't really like reading that, because i think the new game is great and i don't know why everyone keeps saying it's bad because in my opinion, i think it is fantastic! :D

I think Lara isn't so big now, is because we had to wait 3 years for the new game, and some people lose interest! :( :mad: Its not because of the 3 year wait,its because the Tomb Raider games have been nothing but the same old rehash after rehash e.g. no innovations or nothing to help the games. Believe or not,but the gaming industry is actually calling for death of Lara Croft.

Anyhow,things like this show how weak Eidos is,simpily because they're living off a single franchise, whereas the rest of the industry have basically "spread their wings" to new avenues. Look at people like Nintendo,Capcom,Konami,SquareEnix,Namco,Sega and just to name a few. They aren't living off thier prime franchises,but really have spread thier wings to say.

Ocean-Sirius
28-08-03, 21:03
Rumours echo that Eidos care nothing for Tomb Raider or the fans. How true this is is beyond me, as I've no ideas about the gaming industry but rumours from sources I keep nameless yet are unofficial say so. Anyone agree with this or is it easily debunked?

AndrewII
28-08-03, 21:25
Of course Eidos don't really care about Tomb Raider. If they were to let the franchise sag to this level,why care? The only reason I could see them caring, is because its money maker for them.

Ocean-Sirius
28-08-03, 21:40
I have heard things from fans either annoyed or simply dissatisfied at Eidos. I know I heard there was an incident some years ago about people purchasing from an Eidos site, them taking their money and not giving over the goods. I just hope they don't wreck Tomb Raider or our happy community in any serious way.

TombRaiderfreaky
28-08-03, 21:45
Actually, i read somewhere (i think guiness world records 2003) that Lara just dethroned Mario as the most popular video game character WORLDWIDE!!!!! if she is, then her identity hasn't waned at all. But either way, Lara is either #1 or #2 (behind Mario, if my source is false). I know for sure she's the most popular female game character ever though, thats in a guiness worlds records book i read at my dentist office LOL. :D

AndrewII
30-08-03, 06:12
By todays standards, lara croft is #0. This is the new #1

http://chibichan2.homestead.com/files/drakan_rynn.jpg

TombRaiderfreaky
30-08-03, 13:25
who's that???? i've never seen her?

Draco
30-08-03, 16:51
Originally posted by TombRaiderfreaky:
who's that???? i've never seen her?Ditto...