PDA

View Full Version : Music Downloading Question

vespertea
30-03-08, 21:26
Alright, so, I bought a Foo Fighters album several years ago, but I lost the CD and no longer have the songs. Since I've already paid for the music in the past, is it legal to download the album again for free (via hosting site, from a friend, etc)?

Also, this may seem like a stupid question, but what organization(s) determines the legalities of music downloading? Is it like an umbrella organization, or does it vary from record label to record label, or country to country, artist to artist, etc?

digitizedboy
30-03-08, 21:35
Alright, so, I bought a Foo Fighters album several years ago, but I lost the CD and no longer have the songs. Since I've already paid for the music in the past, is it legal to download the album again for free (via hosting site, from a friend, etc)?

Also, this may seem like a stupid question, but what organization(s) determines the legalities of music downloading? Is it like an umbrella organization, or does it vary from record label to record label, or country to country, artist to artist, etc?

It's still illegal. But if you own the case and stuff, and proof of purchase. I suppose it doesn't matter. Stupid laws really.

Neteru
30-03-08, 21:49
Also, this may seem like a stupid question, but what organization(s) determines the legalities of music downloading? Is it like an umbrella organization, or does it vary from record label to record label, or country to country, artist to artist, etc?Governments make laws, not organisations. Though one could argue that many an organisation has undue influence over government policy and enactment of laws.

findme
30-03-08, 21:54
Just do it anyway? Don't have act all innocent here. But hearing as you own the album and everything, yea, go for it.

vespertea
30-03-08, 22:09
It's still illegal. But if you own the case and stuff, and proof of purchase. I suppose it doesn't matter. Stupid laws really.

I suspected that'd be the answer. How lame.

Governments make laws, not organisations. Though one could argue that many an organisation has undue influence over government policy and enactment of laws.

Whoops, yeah my bad, I meant governments.

Heh, interesting thought about the organizations.. I can see it.

Just do it anyway? Don't have act all innocent here. But hearing as you own the album and everything, yea, go for it.

Oh, pfft, don't worry, looking innocent isn't on today's To Do List. Chances are I'm going to download the album or get it from a friend whether it's legal or not.

digitizedboy
30-03-08, 22:31
I suspected that'd be the answer how lame

lol. it's not my fault, it's the truth. Just go ahead and download it anyway, rapidshare or whatever... billions of people do it anyway. :/

Beanz
30-03-08, 22:58
I'm guessing they cant lock you up if you already bought it :).