PDA

View Full Version : Work Experience

Naz2000
31-03-08, 16:49
Well this is just a thread mainly focusing on the people in these forums who will be going to a place to work for several days to get an understanding of what it is like to go to work and also for people who have previously done Work Experience to share what they thought about it...because I'm having to go in a couple of months and have an interview this Wednesday...I'm quite nervous!

Also if you are doing it this year post where you are going:tmb:
I'm going to Boots Pharmacy, I wanted something medical because I'm interested in Science but I couldn't go to a doctors or hospital so I was placed in a Pharmacy:)

Mad Tony
31-03-08, 16:50
I chose a bank as my first option back when they gave us choices at the beginning of year 10. I still have no idea where I'm gonna be though.

Ikas90
31-03-08, 16:53
When I did Work Experience back in Year 10, I chose officework (like the office cubicles you see in movies). I had to sort files, and stuff like that. It was easy for me.

I later got a job in the real estate industry, as a data logger.

EgyptianSoul
31-03-08, 16:54
My first work place was a summer job in a library. My job was to scan books to a computer. Obviously I just spent the whole time surfing the net and chatting cause it was a lousy job. But it still paid ok. ;) That was not the Work Experience thing but it was my first job ever.

scion05
31-03-08, 16:55
We haven't even been given options yet, and it's in November :)

Geck-o-Lizard
31-03-08, 16:55
I went to a graphic design studio who weren't expecting to get any work experience kids in, and had nothing for me to do. :\

jamieoliver22
31-03-08, 16:57
I did a work experience placement for 3 days at the Regant Theatre in Hanley, Stoke (in year 12). I didn't do a lot, but I bloody loved it :D

viper456
Back when I was at school (he says like it was 30 years ago... lol was actually 4) I did my work experience in my old primary school. I thought it was going to be absolutely awful but to be honest it was one of the best things I have ever done. I don't really tend to like kids but considering I was put in with one of my old teachers and a year 3 & 4 class I actually had an amazing time. Who would of thought kids could be so nice haha. It made me want to be a teacher for a while after that but I have kind of changed my mind.

Teaching will always be an option for me to fall back on I think as I really did enjoy it but I would want to teach the "young adult" age range rather than primary school/secondary school (I would actually bring back the cane if I was in a secondary school..)

Oh and they all made me a giant card for when I left to say thank you for helping out. I have still got it somewhere actually. Some of the messages and drawings are quite funny (Even if they are of me :pi: lmao)

CuteKittenlol
I'm going to a shop just down my road =/ Oh well, at least I know the guy who owns the shop and stuff, rather that than go somewhere where I know no one and people would laugh at me all the time *nods* It's in June sometime for me XD

Mad Tony
31-03-08, 16:59
I'm going to a shop just down my road =/ Oh well, at least I know the guy who owns the shop and stuff, rather that than go somewhere where I know no one and people would laugh at me all the time *nods* It's in June sometime for me XDIs it a corner shop? :p

Naz2000
31-03-08, 16:59
I only really want to go to Boots for the chemical side of it, but I doubt they won't even let me mix medicines:( I don't get paid either

Minty Mouth
31-03-08, 17:01
Been There, done that! Just last week actually!

I started mine this year just three weeks ago, and finished last monday! ;)

CuteKittenlol
31-03-08, 17:04
Is it a corner shop? :p

Lmao! No! =O

Mad Tony
31-03-08, 17:06
Lmao! No! =OGood. :p
Have fun :)

Drone
31-03-08, 17:21
it was in IT department. But I didn't feel that it's for me so I've left

rowanlim
31-03-08, 17:30
I had worked at a wine shop before, it's one of the best experience ever. I had to learn all the different types of grape, the wine, how to help the customer make a choice...plus free alcohol :whi:

I then worked at a credit company, I was calling companies every day & doing surveys, profiling each company. There I really worked hard to finish the workload on time.

So far, I had good work experiences. I'm a terribly lucky gal :tmb: :p

Obscure
31-03-08, 17:31
I hated Works Experience so much. I was placed in some creepy old gothic manor house which was used as a Hotel as well. All I had to do was clean and the staff were really creepy. I thought I was on the set of some Horror film. I left after my second day there :)

Dark Lugia 2
31-03-08, 17:54
I just finished mine actually :p first week at acountants, second week the dvla :8} both were really cool ^_^ i didnt wanna leave the dvla XD they signed a card gave me an easter egg and an awsome KEYRING :eek: how sweet XD the acountants paid me o.0 i was suprised, haha :p

Encore
31-03-08, 17:57
O_o

We don't even have anything remotely close to this "Work Experience" thing. This country is so ****ed up.

Scottlee
31-03-08, 18:16
If you're not getting paid for your "work experience", don't bother doing it. You'll only end up doing bum tasks like making coffee for people and stacking shelves. Who needs experience to be able to do things like that?

My school told me I would be doing two weeks of work experience at B and Q, a hardware store. Oh, and it was to be unpaid. "Forget it" I said.

A few years later I did try doing some unpaid work as part of my University degree. It was a nightmare though. I worked half-heartedly and gave no effort. Because I wasn't getting paid I had no motivation to work hard.

scion05
31-03-08, 18:19
For our school, I don't think it's an option.
I was going to put my name down to see if I could do
anything at the Manchester Arena, but meh, 18+ only :rolleyes:

Scottlee
31-03-08, 18:22
For our school, I don't think it's an option.

It wasn't an option at my school either. I just went down to the beach for two weeks and read a few novels. I couldn't stay at home because my dad would have asked questions.

Once the two weeks had passed I knew I was in the clear because work experience wasn't something that could be re-arranged for anybody who had missed it.

Capt. Murphy
31-03-08, 18:24
Hmm. I guess we had a thing called Vo-Tech. I studied some wood working, and electronics. Neither of which I practice to this day. :rolleyes:

Minty Mouth
31-03-08, 18:27
If you're not getting paid for your "work experience", don't bother doing it.

Duh, your not supposed to get paid. Thats why they call it work experience, and not work ;)

Inkheart
31-03-08, 18:28
I did a work experience placement for 3 days at the Regant Theatre in Hanley, Stoke (in year 12). I didn't do a lot, but I bloody loved it :D

I did theatre work as well! :D Loved it. Not quite what I thought it was going to be, but it was fun!

I'm in year 12 now, and I'm planning to do some more work experience in a proper London theatre (Apollo Victoria and Victoria Palace hopefully - currently hosting my favourite musicals.) I got some email addresses today, but I'll ask in person as well to make an impact.

knutroald
31-03-08, 18:30
I went to a graphic design studio who weren't expecting to get any work experience kids in, and had nothing for me to do. :\

Hehe, I did that too!:D I found something to do though eventually.

Scottlee
Duh, your not supposed to get paid. Thats why they call it work experience, and not work ;)

You also pick up experience when you work for money.

viper456
If you're not getting paid for your "work experience", don't bother doing it. You'll only end up doing bum tasks like making coffee for people and stacking shelves. Who needs experience to be able to do things like that?

My school told me I would be doing two weeks of work experience at B and Q, a hardware store. Oh, and it was to be unpaid. "Forget it" I said.

A few years later I did try doing some unpaid work as part of my University degree. It was a nightmare though. I worked half-heartedly and gave no effort. Because I wasn't getting paid I had no motivation to work hard.

True, thought it does depend where you get a placement. I mean to back up your point my friend wanted to do hers in a hair dressers. She got her placement, which was unpaid and she spent the week sweeping up and making a cup of coffee every now and then. Oh she got a free hair cut at the end which she hated lol . She what was that experience in? Child labour?

Obscure
31-03-08, 18:40

Not necessarily. My sisters best friend worked for my mums hairdressing company and so did this girl from my sisters school that my sister didn't know and my mum paid them both what they would earn if they worked for her :)
Also I know someone who did his work experience in a bank and they paid him for it :) It just depends on the person your working for and how tight they are...

digitizedboy
31-03-08, 20:18
The first work experience I had was in a medical centre and that's almost 20 years ago. gee! :o

Good luck with the interview mate, hope it goes well.

Angelus
31-03-08, 20:42
My school "didn't do" work experience. ******s. :rolleyes:

digitizedboy
01-04-08, 00:32
O_o

We don't even have anything remotely close to this "Work Experience" thing. This country is so ****ed up.

Don't say that, that's like saying you don't give a damn about Portugal.

Hybrid Soldier
02-04-08, 03:23
I'm going to a shop just down my road =/ Oh well, at least I know the guy who owns the shop and stuff, rather that than go somewhere where I know no one and people would laugh at me all the time *nods* It's in June sometime for me XD

ROFL. Luckily i don't have to do any of this business.. except now that i think of it community service hours is almost the same thing.. just more excruciating. XD

rowanlim
02-04-08, 04:21
Well at the end of my course, I will have to do about 6 months' internship at a factory as my industrial training en-route to becoming a chemical engineer. I'm already learning how to handle equipment during my lab sessions & I don't enjoy it one bit. I'm seriously beginning to wonder if this is truly my calling. I love the science of it, just not a fan of the practical side :(

Anyhow good luck with your interview & all the best :tmb:

spikejones
02-04-08, 04:26
i've never had a work experience program at any of my schools. however, there are some internship programs that are a part of some degree programs. unfortunately not for mine.

paul123456
02-04-08, 08:19
I'm going to a primary school for mine. It's in the last few weeks of April I think.

Archetype
02-04-08, 09:14
Did my work experience in an office, only managed 3 days because i came down with the flu!

Voni
02-04-08, 09:34
I worked in the service station up the road for my work experience, I didn't have a clue what I wanted to be, so me and my mate went 'sod it, it's only up the road'.

I'm starting some work experience in primary school next week for my teacher training course. AAAARGGHH! I'm terrified!