PDA

View Full Version : The Key is in the Amber

silver_wolf
01-04-08, 22:05
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/cjvelg/amber_work.jpg
My first thought was why not? After reading Michael Chrichton's Jurassic Park and seeing the movie I wondered why couldn't this work? Granted I'm no molecular biologist but I understand the basics of DNA extraction, cloning and such. If a mosquito did bite a dinosaur, and it was preserved in amber with the blood still inside it, then why couldn't we extract the dinosaur DNA from it? Out of all the amber and mosquitos in the world, there must be some that bit dinosaurs and died with the blood in their belly. All we would have to do is look, and I'm sure we would find some.And even if the DNA is incomplete, which it probably would be, surely we could complete it. This process would be much better than the one currently proposed by scientists:alter avian DNA to produce a creature resembling what we think dinosaurs should look like. Basicly, making dinosaur-like mutants. I'd rather have the real thing. So have scientists tried this? If not, why?

Quasimodo
01-04-08, 22:50
There must be some catch to it if scientists haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure but I think DNA rots away after so many thousands of years.

Encore
01-04-08, 23:11
I think the reason this couldn't work is because there's no way the DNA chain would be intact after so much time. If I remember correctly the movie/book mentioned this, and proceeded by saying the scientists filled in the gaps of the DNA with that from another species, frogs or something (those frogs could reproduce themselves alone with no need for males, which is what caused the dinos in the Park to breed).

That's the fictionalized part, I don't think something like that would work. I mean... The diference in the DNA from humans to monkeys is minimal, and yet we are completely diferent, I think putting frog DNA on a dinossaur would breed some sort of aberration :eek: But like you I'm no biology expert.. Who knows.

Larapink
01-04-08, 23:14
It's just a bad idea to bring back Dinosaurs, we can't survive along side them. Haven't you learned anything from the films? :rolleyes:

silver_wolf
02-04-08, 00:16
They're just animals, like every other creature on this planet. If we were smart about it there shouldn't be a problem.
There must be some catch to it if scientists haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure but I think DNA rots away after so many thousands of years.
Very tiny amounts of DNA can be extracted from dino fossils, I believe, but not enough to be of any use. I would think that preserved dino blood would have quite a bit more DNA intact.